• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
So I just beat the Bed of chaos, well the guy I did co-op with killed it one hit...

If I place the souls into the altar will I be stuck in the endgame? anything else I should do first before I head out?

.GqueB.

Banned
So I just beat the Bed of chaos, well the guy I did co-op with killed it one hit...

If I place the souls into the altar will I be stuck in the endgame? anything else I should do first before I head out?

You can get back out. Sweetest armor in the game (IMO) and a lot of... something... in there. I forget what it is. But it's rare before that point and is needed for lightening weapons... I think. Ask someone else, I don't feel like looking it up. Also, it's basically a P2P arena which is fun.

Guevara

I'm at this point too. Is there a good checklist before NG+?

1. Fire keeper souls/Estus Upgrades
2. Make use of late game farming spots
3. Finish any NPC quests still around (Onion Knight for me)
4. Max out pyro glove
5. Buy boss armor

???

Booshka

4. Max out pyro glove
5. Buy boss armor

???
Buy all spells and pick up all spells around the world.

Use the Dark hand to drain NPC's of Humanity then kill them to get their loot after you've sucked them dry.

Kindle all bonfires to 20 Flasks

Farm supplies that you want, it's easiest to farm on your first playthrough because all the enemies will get a big boost in Health and Damage on NG+ (Farming Harpies on NG+++ for Souvenir's of Reprisal is no fun, trust me).

Kill Fire keepers so that you can get even more fire keeper souls and upgrade your estus further (max is +7, but it's more feasible to get to +6 in one playthrough).

Explore more areas, this can go along with your kindling pilgrimage through the game.

Experiment and enjoy PvP and jolly cooperation since you have all the areas open to you.

Modify equipment so you can reinforce it later, you lose all embers for NG+. This goes in line with farming for upgrade items as well.

maomaoIYP

4. Max out pyro glove
5. Buy boss armor

???

You can't max out pyro glove after you've beaten the bed of chaos. The one who upgrades you to ascended +5 disappears after bed of chaos dies.

chunk3rvd

With all the Great Scythe love I decided to try it out and it seems fun. What's the best way to upgrade it for my fairly low level build? I have 16 STR, 24 DEX, 15 INT, 8 FAI

I'm thinking Chaos +4 as I like to invade and generally carry a bunch of active humanity with me?

Sullichin

With all the Great Scythe love I decided to try it out and it seems fun. What's the best way to upgrade it for my fairly low level build? I have 16 STR, 24 DEX, 15 INT, 8 FAI

I'm thinking Chaos +4 as I like to invade and generally carry a bunch of active humanity with me?

Probably chaos, but at regular +14 and +15 it gets A scaling for DEX.. pretty sure chaos+4 would still be better, but your extra DEX wouldn't be doing anything. Also, the red titanite slab is less painless to get than some of the others (fuck you blue titanite slab), so you might as well take it to +5.

Great Scythe and Dragonslayer spear trip me up in PVP more than anything else now. Any tips against super long range weapons like these?

maomaoIYP

Probably chaos, but at regular +14 and +15 it gets A scaling for DEX.. pretty sure chaos+4 would still be better, but your extra DEX wouldn't be doing anything. Also, the red titanite slab is less painless to get than some of the others (fuck you blue titanite slab), so you might as well take it to +5.

Great Scythe and Dragonslayer spear trip me up in PVP more than anything else now. Any tips against super long range weapons like these?

Yup, with those low stats chaos is best.

I don't think I've won a single melee fight vs a Dragonslayer spear user ever. Damned thing is, I can't seem to use it for nuts myself.

What's the big deal about the great scythe? Is it the range or the damage? I have it and the move set doesn't seem that amazing. I wouldn't use it over the BKGA.

Sullichin

What's the big deal about the great scythe? Is it the range or the damage? I have it and the move set doesn't seem that amazing. I wouldn't use it over the BKGA.

BKGA is still my favorite weapon to use, that moveset/quickness for the type of weapon it is/damage is just awesome. But the range of the great scythe, especially the running attack, just fucks me up. It's extra hard to dodge because of lag. Idk i'm not saying it's amazing, I just suck at fighting against people who use it usually. I don't have a build around that weapon, but I'm thinking about it.

maomaoIYP

It's the speed and range. It's a lot faster than the BKGA. Also it outpowers BKGA if you can cast sunlight blade or crystal magic weapon (assuming you stick to SL~120).

BKGA is still my favorite weapon to use, that moveset/quickness for the type of weapon it is/damage is just awesome. But the range of the great scythe, especially the running attack, just fucks me up. It's extra hard to dodge because of lag. Idk i'm not saying it's amazing, I just suck at fighting against people who use it usually. I don't have a build around that weapon, but I'm thinking about it.

A great scythe build works great as a general high dex + high int/fai build and with those stats many other weapons become available for optimal use, like lifehunt scythe, most of the rapiers, moonlight sword, pike, etc.
Starting with pyro, Vit 35, End 40, Str 16, Dex 40, Int/Fai 45 gets you exactly to SL 125.

Sullichin

It's the speed and range. It's a lot faster than the BKGA. Also it outpowers BKGA if you can cast sunlight blade or crystal magic weapon (assuming you stick to SL~120).

A great scythe build works great as a general high dex + high int/fai build and with those stats many other weapons become available for optimal use, like lifehunt scythe, most of the rapiers, moonlight sword, pike, etc.
Starting with pyro, Vit 35, End 40, Str 16, Dex 40, Int/Fai 45 gets you exactly to SL 125.

I haven't taken a pvp character past 120 yet. I'll still get plenty of PVP action at 125 you think?

Sullichin

I play in the forest, 90% of the people staying in human form there are past 200, so invasions aren't a problem.

I'm not a big fan of the forest. My preferred PVP is chilling in undead burg waiting to be invaded, but I guess if darkwraiths invade up, 125 wouldn't matter over 120 anyway.

maomaoIYP

I'm not a big fan of the forest as well, but in my timezone that's basically the only active area. 125 isn't that distinctly disadvantaged against 200 or even 300, as long as it's a 1v1. With 2v1 it's a totally different story though.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Great Scythe was my first dedicated weapon back when the game first came out. The range on the R2 is great. In addition, it's got a really tricky dead angle, so if you practice that, you can catch lots of people unawares.

Daigoro

Haha, I kind of dreaded doing Capra Demon again. I found a guy in Silver Knight armor who followed me there. I ran inside, got stuck in a corner and killed but before I was drawn back to the bonfire, the guy killed the demon with about four attacks. Success!

Most annoying boss, probably. There's just no room for experimenting, you either get it right or you die in five seconds.

i tried him today (at least i think thats the guy. (in Undead Burg behind the white door where all the thieves and poison dogs hang out?). didnt go so well. i went twice thinking i might get somewhere the second time, but nope! small room, big boss rush with a posion pet, couldnt roll anywhere. it was ugly.

i found Blight Town today (cant for the life of me remember where though! oh wait, through Valley of Drakes passage with the big Ogre guys who are fun to backstab). i was doing ok, but went toxic so that ruined everything. i thought i had taken a purple moss in time, but that didnt seem to help. maybe i took it too late? i thought it was supposed to cure poison, but maybe i was too poisoned to begin with to use it because i seemed to go toxic as soon as i took it. ill experiment more.

totally forgot about New Londo! i had opened it up on my original character and then just briefly poked my nose in when i recently started the new one. completely forgot about that whole area until today.

i figured out how to use that curse item and killed a bunch of those phantom guys. had like 8000 souls on me (felt like a lot!) and lost them trying to find my way around down there. i only found a few dead ends. there has to be something else down there somewhere...

didnt try going back to Darkroot Basin yet. will try again tomorrow.

just before i quit for the day i figured i would do some experimenting with some different armor. something a bit lighter. i put on some black leather armor and i felt so light. rolling and running were so fast. i found that Elite Knight Armor kind of early i think. i went right from some found hollow warrior type gear straight to that. not sure if its worth it at my lvl. the weight vs. protection issue is something im going to experiment with.

found a few items today, including some sorcerer set in Blight, and some Thieves stuff in Undead Burg. nothing i think im going to use though, probably.

that was about it for today.

i found Blight Town today (cant for the life of me remember where though! oh wait, through Valley of Drakes passage with the big Ogre guys who are fun to backstab). i was doing ok, but went toxic so that ruined everything. i thought i had taken a purple moss in time, but that didnt seem to help. maybe i took it too late? i thought it was supposed to cure poison, but maybe i was too poisoned to begin with to use it because i seemed to go toxic as soon as i took it. ill experiment more.

You can't cure Toxic with Purple Moss, you need Blooming Purple Moss, the same guys who drop Purple Moss in Darkroot also occasionally drop those instead. Toxic is basically Poison^2.

Toxic is a bitch, watch out for those guys who are throwing poison knives (or was it arrows, can't remember).

Daigoro

i wasnt actually tying to cure toxic with the purple moss, i was only poisoned at the time. i think the timing was just bad on my part. as i was taking the moss i was turning toxic, so i think i was just a bit too slow.

thanks for the info.

Frank

that was about it for today.

As you seem to be doing a lot of exploring, I would recommend you start using Homeward Bones. Using one returns you to the last bonfire you rested at. Might come in handy if you're deep inside some unknown territory, holding on to a lot of souls.

There's a bunch of HBs somewhere in the ruins of Firelink Shrine. And there is also a merchant that sells the things - an undead female you'll find in an aqueduct behind some bars, in the area after Capra Demon, but before the Depths. That aqueduct also has other uses aside from the merchant.

Good luck! :)

Daigoro

ha ha ha holy shit.

i just now used lock on for the first time since starting this character. boy, that makes using my pyromancer's fireball just a little bit easier to target enemies with huh?

wow.

As you seem to be doing a lot of exploring, I would recommend you start using Homeward Bones. Using one returns you to the last bonfire you rested at. Might come in handy if you're deep inside some unknown territory, holding on to a lot of souls.

There's a bunch of HBs somewhere in the ruins of Firelink Shrine. And there is also a merchant that sells the things - an undead female you'll find in an aqueduct behind some bars, in the area after Capra Demon, but before the Depths. That aqueduct also has other uses aside from the merchant.

Good luck! :)

ah thanks for the tip. yes i havent used those yet. ill try that.

I grinded Chunks in Kiln and did PVP for a while there with 100% success rate. I have finally gotten good enough equipment as well as learned how to properly do PVP battles I think. I only lost one pvp match barely in Dark Anor Londo today and even that enemy had less than one hit left to kill. SL 99

Did all the boss weapons I could too. Most if not all flames are kindled and I got a shitload of every kind of chunks. And majority of the weapons I want to use are +14

So all I got to do is

a) do some +10 base weapons so I can instantly get the rest of the boss weapons when I get the souls

b) collect all the spells/pyros/miracles I can

c) Kill all the NPC's :p

d) Get the "upgrade weapon X" trophies.

Playtime around 40 hours now.

Frank

c) Kill all the NPC's :p

If you have a Dark Hand, I'd say it's practical to first use the Dark Hand on the NPCs - it sucks humanities out of them (different NPCs give off different amounts of humanities if I remember correctly my own experience with this) and doesn't enrage them. After that, you can happily slice away.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
grrr....any sound strategies for dealing with those two sniping pricks in Anor Londo when youre walking right along that tight ledge? Even when i block, the force of the arrows knocks me back and eventually off the ledge or i get shot in the back by the one behind me.

Im thinking getting some poison arrows and trying to hit them from afar....any other ideas?

Frank

Im thinking getting some poison arrows and trying to hit them from afar....any other ideas?

Poison always works.

Another idea would be to rush up to the one on the right (remember: when you get to the ledge on which he is standing, basically where you need to make a right, better if you do it rolling -- because the archer on the left, now on your back, can hit you while you're taking your first steps on that ledge + the one on the right can still nail you with an arrow, as you're too far for him to move on to melee), get in close enough for the knight to take out his sword and then push/hit him off, raise your shield so he bounces himself off or use a couple of Combustions to burn him off. Whatever comes in handy for you at the moment.

Facism

I'm currently using a faith build in my new playthrough. Do i want to bother with a +15 weapon or divine/occult upgrade paths? Devined the claymore but it loses some of the scaling and the divine scaling is pretty shyte at a C when it's +5.

sloppyjoe: Yes, poison arrows are great for cheesing them to death like they cheese you to death. Find an angle where you can fire a few on them without them hitting you, and then sit back and wait. If you can take out the right one, you can run past without hopefully having the left one shooting you in the back.

Daigoro: Lighter armor is generally a good idea unless you have Havel's Ring and good endurance. I made that mistake in Demon's Souls and being a solid piece of metal doesn't help you at all in these games.

Also, if you killed the gargoyles you probably freed Lautrec of Carim from the chapel tower as well? Is he sitting below the Firelink bonfire area? If so, talk to him a few times and then stand in front of him and press forward+R1 twice. Believe me, you want to do this. Not knowing beforehand what he does is one of the things that can mess up your game royally...

For Capra Demon, go into human form and hang around the area looking for summonings to help you. He can be soloed but he's not worth the effort and anguish. You still need to survive his first onslaught, so move to the right as you enter to feint him, then roll past his attack to the left and pray that you don't get stuck on the dogs. Then head for the stairs and pray. Generally, prayer helps versus this guy. Not much else does.

At this point, you can sneak around in Blighttown, New Londo Ruins and Darkroot Basin but there's not much you can do. If you can get to the Darkroot Forest boss as human you can cheese it to death with a NPC helper, but it's not very useful anyway. One thing that will help you at this point is another Firekeeper's Soul from New Londo Ruins.
Get yourself a Transient Curse and go down to the ruins. Kill the first two ghosts, then turn right. There's a covered passage leading to an item in a tower seemingly out in the water. Walk straight towards it, as there's a very narrow bridge just below the surface. Three ghosts will attack so back up into the passage and kill them before your curse runs out. Then go over and grab the Firekeeper's Soul. If you got the one in the church in Undead Parish, you now have +2 estus flasks for better healing.

grrr....any sound strategies for dealing with those two sniping pricks in Anor Londo when youre walking right along that tight ledge? Even when i block, the force of the arrows knocks me back and eventually off the ledge or i get shot in the back by the one behind me.

Run straight up to the one on the right, dodging/rolling along the way (DO NOT BLOCK, under any circumstance, ever), and get right up in his face. Stand right behind that small wall/ledge and continue to roll against the wall to avoid his arrows until he puts his bow away and pulls out his sword. Then unleash on him. You'll be out of range of the archer on the left.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the platinum trophy.

Took almost an hour of farming to get the Channeler Trident. I though I was going to end up hating the game before I got it.

Apdiddy

I'm at Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos.

FROM really shit the bed with this battle. Basically, I've died twice due to apparently not rolling/leaping onto the right spot to land. Which is stupid. Then when I finally land on the tree branch, the fire attack takes more than half my health and is basically unavoidable.

sixghost

Stray Demon gone. Next up, Gravelord Nito and Four Kings. GAF tips?
I'll try to be vague but helpful.

Since I have no idea what your character is like, or how you've faired so far in the game, I'd say
Nito: Absolutely 100% you need need need a decent divine weapon for Nito. If your character is fucking badass and you're good at the combat, you can get by without it, but not having one can turn that fight from a normal difficulty boss fight into something that's near impossible. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Even if it's just downgrading the Occult Club from Anor Londo to a Divine Club, that's 100x better than nothing.
-4 Kings: Depending on your build prepare for a possibly frustrating experience. They're one of the most unique bosses and require you to dish out as much damage in as short a time as possible, so don't be afraid to try drastic things, such as putting on heavier armor with higher poise and just pounding them with your 2hand weapon, just ignoring the damage they do to you. That fight is basically a DPS race, again, you'll know what I mean when you get there.

Neither of those bosses are that difficult once you're prepared, but some people really struggle with the 4 kings, and even on my 3rd character I got stuck on Nito for a couple weeks because I was overconfident and didn't prepare properly.
Also, if you killed the gargoyles you probably freed Lautrec of Carim from the chapel tower as well? Is he sitting below the Firelink bonfire area?
If so, talk to him a few times and then stand in front of him and press forward+R1 twice. Believe me, you want to do this. Not knowing beforehand what he does is one of the things that can mess up your game royally...

I really don't think you should tell people this, it's one of the more interesting parts of the game, and it's something people should do at least on their first playthrough. Punting him off the cliff because you don't want to deal with it during subsequent playthroughs is fine though.

Boss suggestions (Nito, BOC, 4 Kings)

Nito:
Just wait for the skeletons come to you, finish them off for a while, Nito should come to you then start slashing like there's no tomorrow. Didn't take too long with my Gravelord Sword or was it with Zweihander+14. If your weapon is good at ground control+area damage and you didn't have much problems in Catacombs I would say this wouldn't be that bad.

Bed Of Chaos:
Boost on poise A LOT so it can't push you to the hole. As much of Havel Gear as you can with having less 50% of the max load so you can run + Havel Ring + either the poise boosting ring or the flippy ring for faster movement.

4K:
This I don't have much to say for, but the FOV is weird so remember to run as close as you can before hitting so you don't miss.

And yeah that Lautrec idea is very bad one, don't do that.

how do you farm for those? where at?
Archieves is the only place where they spawn... luckily I got like 2 or 3 Tridents on my first way through there :p

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Archieves is the only place where they spawn... luckily I got like 2 or 3 Tridents on my first way through there :p

That seems to be quite common, you either get several on your normal play through or you have to farm for hours. I had the gold ring and 10+ humanity aswell. Had to just keep killing the two near the bonfire before the crystal caves.

RZI

I've been playing this game linger than it took me to beat Demon's Souls, but on the other hand I've been grinding a lot less. And I've only grinded because I got stuck on Quelaag.

My brother is having a problem, his world is filled with miserys. As in like he was cursed by Gravelord but a sign is nowhere to be seen. World is filled with red phantom super enemies. Is this normal behaviour for NG+ game (as in should they be there?) or what.

Booshka

My brother is having a problem, his world is filled with miserys. As in like he was cursed by Gravelord but a sign is nowhere to be seen. World is filled with red phantom super enemies. Is this normal behaviour for NG+ game (as in should they be there?) or what.

He got Gravelorded by another player, he needs to try and invade the Gravelord player through a Gravelord summon sign in the area. Someone else can kill the Gravelord player as well and those red phantom enemies will go away. I think they will also go away if he kills Nito.

elohel

I've been playing this game linger than it took me to beat Demon's Souls, but on the other hand I've been grinding a lot less. And I've only grinded because I got stuck on Quelaag.

that's something I noticed too, that there's a lot less grinding, least that's how I felt

something that I really enjoyed about it actually, the challenge more being about if you can and not about if you've grinded enough

He got Gravelorded by another player, he needs to try and invade the Gravelord player through a Gravelord summon sign in the area. Someone else can kill the Gravelord player as well and those red phantom enemies will go away. I think they will also go away if he kills Nito.

It has been like that for over four days now! It's doubtful that someone could be alive that long or is it?

Booshka

It has been like that for over four days now! It's doubtful that someone could be alive that long or is it?

I got Gravelorded and then was playing offline and the red phantom enemies were still there, I think they don't go away until the Gravelord player dies, it may have glitched out. If all else fails, just kill Nito and they will go away.

I don't know, I've just never done it any other way after reading up on it and I'd probably feel really exhausted if it happened to me.

Besides, he's kind of a jerk anyway.

I got mine after about two and half ours in the Duke's Archive. I just kept going back and forth from the first bonfire to the first Channeler then back to the bonfire to respawn everything.

If the loading time is shorter than the time to run back to the bonfire I just use Homeward (Bone) from now on. They are only 500 bucks a piece anyway.

I THINK there's a glitch where if you d/c while gravelorded, your map stays gravelorded until you beat the boss.

I'll inform my brother. I remember reading something like that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom