• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Old Witch's Ring. Rare in that you can only get one per game.

Useful in that you get to talk to someone later on you won't be able to otherwise.

You can trade an item to get that ring.

Always get the master key as starting gift, even if you plan on playing normal it's worth it.

If you don't want to use heavy armor is really high endurance that useful? I don't see much talk about the resistance stat. Worth throwing points into?

Again sorry bout all the questions my first twenty or so hours of the game in December I was completely lost and leveled my character very poorly. Now that I actually bought the game and the guide and have had a damn week waiting for it to ship I've had a lot of time to brainstorm what kinda character I wanna play.

Always get the master key as starting gift, even if you plan on playing normal it's worth it.

If you start as thief and get it by default what would be the second most useful?

Dresden

The item for which drops once per playthrough. :p

You can buy the masterkey and I don't think the freedom is worth it early on, for new players.

If you don't want to use heavy armor is really high endurance that useful? I don't see much talk about the resistance stat. Worth throwing points into? Where does poise come from?

Again sorry bout all the questions my first twenty or so hours of the game in December I was completely lost and leveled my character very poorly. Now that I actually bought the game and the guide and have had a damn week waiting for it to ship I've had a lot of time to brainstorm what kinda character I wanna play.
High endurance is always useful, lets you sprint longer, roll more, block harder, swing more, etc. Every character needs endurance.

Poise comes from armor. Heavier the armor, more poise it has, generally.

Resistance is a worthless stat, hence the lack of chatter about it.

Wowbagger

Aside from masterkey whats another good starting gift? I have gone through them all but can't really make up my mind.

This will be your first, full playthrough, right? If so, I recommend the Old Witch's Ring for the tiny bit of extra story. You will encounter the NPC that you cannot speak to without that ring long before you acquire the item you can trade for it.

The Master Key is great for rushing subsequent characters through NG, but best reserved for NG+ the first time. Just buy it from the merchant who sells it before killing the final boss.

Frank

ive summoned people several times, but i havent been sommond yet. i always wonder if im at too high or too low a level to be summoned for the area im in.

This chart lists the most active level ranges for summoning in various places in the game, and it's quite reliable.

In reality, it's a bit more open than that -- you have people going through the game in NG+ and beyond (SL80+), you have people going through the game low level (below SL20), and then there's some players who leveled a bit too much, or too little etc.

But generally, the chart above gives you the best shot at actually finding someone.

Clevinger

So what do you get for someone rating your message positively? Do you happen to get the humanity item? Because I have a whole bunch now and I'm puzzled as to where I got them.

Frank

So what do you get for someone rating your message positively? Do you happen to get the humanity item? Because I have a whole bunch now and I'm puzzled as to where I got them.

Are you referring to the Active Humanity (top left corner) or to Item Humanity (items you can consume to up the Active Humanity counter?)

As far as I could gather, there's an Active Humanity bonus coming from staying in Human form for a while. Keep yourself Human and move around the world, and occasionally your counter will go up.

I only have 2 messages put in the world, and they're more of reminders for myself than for the other players -- so they're slightly hidden, and I think I checked and never had them recommended.

Still, Active Humanity counter would go up if I keep myself Human for a while. Might be some example of Magical Thinking on my side, but it always seemed to me the bonus was coming from that.

Clevinger

The item humanity. I had like 12 before I went through Blighttown, and now I have 30. I don't remember picking up all that much in the level, but I suppose it's possible. Or I had more than I thought in the first place.

As far as I could gather, there's an Active Humanity bonus coming from staying in Human form for a while. Keep yourself Human and move around the world, and occasionally your counter will go up.

I think that same thing happens as a hollow. Once in a long while I'll get one more active humanity (usually up from zero). I don't spend much time as a human.

joelseph

I'm in the same boat as Count. Bought the game initially but shelved it. Now I am back and in love! Got my highest character to the top of the Church. Gonna go through the thread, if I have any questions I will let you know!

sixghost

The item for which drops once per playthrough. :p

You can buy the masterkey and I don't think the freedom is worth it early on, for new players.

High endurance is always useful, lets you sprint longer, roll more, block harder, swing more, etc. Every character needs endurance.

Poise comes from armor. Heavier the armor, more poise it has, generally.

Resistance is a worthless stat, hence the lack of chatter about it.

I think it would have been interesting if Resistance increased Poise as well as the other defense stats.

Frank

If anybody's interested, a buddy of mine pointed this out to me: Forest of the Damned.

A public event in the Forest: Gravelords & Forest Hunters & Darkmoon Blades ganging up on the Forest campers. Dunno if the awarness for this event is high among the playing population, but could be a fun day to hang around the Forest.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there any in game fluff about what Artorias looked like? I'm contemplating putting together a build of him with the Wolf Ring and his sword and shield, but no idea what to use as armor.

He's described as a knight of Gwyn, so I was thinking maybe Silver Knight set, but Ornstein was one of the "Four knights" too, and he has a unique set...

Soulhouf

Is there any in game fluff about what Artorias looked like? I'm contemplating putting together a build of him with the Wolf Ring and his sword and shield, but no idea what to use as armor.

He's described as a knight of Gwyn, so I was thinking maybe Silver Knight set, but Ornstein was one of the "Four knights" too, and he has a unique set...

dark%2Bsouls.JPG

He is wielding the Great Sword of Artorias and his shield.
So it's him I guess...

Soulhouf

I think if we will get a DLC, it it's very likely to be around Artorias.
Remember the trademark “Forest of Darkness”?
Artoria's grave is located in Darkroot Garden so it could be related.
Am I thinking to much or is that possible?

sixghost

I think if we will get a DLC, it it's very likely to be around Artorias.
Remember the trademark “Forest of Darkness”?
Artoria's grave is located in Darkroot Garden so it could be related.
Am I thinking to much or is that possible?

If you're telling me the DLC will be you controlling Artorias with Sif fighting alongside you, GOTY of the year.

Dresden

More likely that you fight Artorias and Sif at once imo.

/hope

Then once you're about to defeat one, Artorias hops on Sif's back and go Super Artorias.

Daigoro

i got summoned a bunch of times as a hollow today. thanks for mentioning it above.

i beat Seam the Scaleless. it was pretty tough! tried it with a group several times and that didnt work, then grindind the battle alone a few times after switching up some gear (and going to break another curse). finally did it though.

question though, the version that used to live upstairs was gone when i went back there today before i beat the one in Crystal caves. what happened to him?

This chart lists the most active level ranges for summoning in various places in the game, and it's quite reliable.

In reality, it's a bit more open than that -- you have people going through the game in NG+ and beyond (SL80+), you have people going through the game low level (below SL20), and then there's some players who leveled a bit too much, or too little etc.

But generally, the chart above gives you the best shot at actually finding someone.

thanks for the link.

Sullichin

Take off the sanctus and put on Grass Crest Shield and Evil Eye Ring. EER will give you enough HP to compensate Chaos Blade Loss against normal enemies.

My previous PvP character:
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=337580488

I called him "Moon Walker" and he kicked ass.

I had 3 months ago the idea of making a Pain/Nightmare character with something like 90 vitality + mask of the mother + giant set and DWGR but that's so generic and disgusting to a point that I don't even dare think of that again *laughs*

Yeah, I won't actually be using the sanctus, I was just messing around. Evil Eye Ring for a chaos blade build isn't a bad idea, but I probably won't want to sacrifice a fap/dwgr or hornet/dwgr setup for it. I think I'm also going to make great scythe my main dex weapon on this character... hmmm. Speaking of cheap builds the other day I switched out my armor for Mask of Father / Rest full Giants for a sec and it was annoyingly way better DEF/poise than any other combination in my inventory and I could still flip, but I get more satisfaction out of not using any pinwheel masks or the giants chestpiece just because it's so common. So back to my havel gauntlets/leggings, dingy robe, and helm of thorns weirdo setup. And am I crazy or do havel's leggings look better on a female character than a male character?

The item humanity. I had like 12 before I went through Blighttown, and now I have 30. I don't remember picking up all that much in the level, but I suppose it's possible. Or I had more than I thought in the first place.

I think that same thing happens as a hollow. Once in a long while I'll get one more active humanity (usually up from zero). I don't spend much time as a human.

Are you referring to the Active Humanity (top left corner) or to Item Humanity (items you can consume to up the Active Humanity counter?)

I only have 2 messages put in the world, and they're more of reminders for myself than for the other players -- so they're slightly hidden, and I think I checked and never had them recommended.

Still, Active Humanity counter would go up if I keep myself Human for a while. Might be some example of Magical Thinking on my side, but it always seemed to me the bonus was coming from that.

You can earn active humanity by defeating monsters in an area where the boss hasn't been defeated, up to 10 humanity. It does not matter if you are human or not. This page has a table of what enemies activate humanity and after how many kills (for example about 25-35 kils of an undead in the burg is supposed to net you one):

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Humanity#Earn Humanity

Now I really can't comment on the accuracy of this, but it is evident that the game gives you some active humanity every once in a while, so this makes sense to me.

Glad to see some new players in this thread, hopefully the PC version will bring lots more too.

Booshka

If anybody's interested, a buddy of mine pointed this out to me: Forest of the Damned.

A public event in the Forest: Gravelords & Forest Hunters & Darkmoon Blades ganging up on the Forest campers. Dunno if the awarness for this event is high among the playing population, but could be a fun day to hang around the Forest.

I'll be sure to invade a bunch in the Forest on that day, I have a Forest Hunter character, Darkwraith and Darkmoon that I can switch to and invade.

Frank

I'll be sure to invade a bunch in the Forest on that day, I have a Forest Hunter character, Darkwraith and Darkmoon that I can switch to and invade.

No Forest Hunter on my side, but I got a Darkwraith and a Darkmoon. I would be interested in bodyguarding whoever is Gravelording around that area, actually :) so, I'll probably try to do that.

Booshka

No Forest Hunter on my side, but I got a Darkwraith and a Darkmoon. I would be interested in bodyguarding whoever is Gravelording around that area, actually :) so, I'll probably try to do that.

Yea, Gravelords are gonna have it the hardest, hopefully there will be enough people that invade and give them EoD's or just leave when they see they are a Gravelord player.

The Chef

So this guy just helped me out in the painted world. He was a beast of a man with a massive sword. He fearlessly rushed into battle and, from my vantage point, it looked like he smashed the ground with his sword creating some kind or shockwave attack.

I was looking through the wiki and I think it might be the Drake Sword but that one doesn't seem as large as I remember. Are there and other swords that fit that description?

Booshka

So this guy just helped me out in the painted world. He was a beast of a man with a massive sword. He fearlessly rushed into battle and, from my vantage point, it looked like he smashed the ground with his sword creating some kind or shockwave attack.

I was looking through the wiki and I think it might be the Drake Sword but that one doesn't seem as large as I remember. Are there and other swords that fit that description?

Dragon Greatsword and Dragonking Greataxe

Sounds like the Drake Sword.

Edit: Or not.

M.D

I'm at NG+ after finishing the game a couple of days ago...
The last boss was disappointing :/

I didn't have any patience, so I just went right to it and did the dark ending (I could have finished the game long before but was doing the necessary before going to NG+ and more)

I wanted (and need) those chunks, but I just wanted to be over with it.

So far, I beat Taurus Demon, Havel The Rock, Bell Gargoyle, Capra Demon, Titanite Demon, Moonlight butterfly and I just got done with Sif

Nothing has been too challenging so far.
I didn't get the tail weapon, and I need it for that goddam trophy!

The only thing I haven't been able to kill so far is the damn Hellkite Dragon! The damn things knocks me back even with a 95 fire defense shield and Smough's armor set, and the horrible framerate when he set the whole bridge doesn't help either.

I'm at 18 Faith right now, and pretty disappointed with Miracles :( I've used a couple of them, and they're all pretty useless.
Heal and Great Heal Excerpt are useless because you can only use them in non boss situations since they're slow to cast. I don't find my self needing them when I got 20 +7 Flasks.

Force is nice to fuck around in the burg and push those idiots of a cliff. I haven't tried it in real combat yet.
I've got a couple of others like Homeward. I'm not going to waist a slot on that shit when I got only 5 and also want to put on my pyro which is way more useful. haven't tried Replenishment yet.
I've got a couple of others, plus more that I can't use because I need more faith. I hope putting points in faith will prove useful, those 10 points are too dam expensive to not be worth it.

I will say that leveling has been easier than I thought.
I got 172K (instead of 120) from Sif with the silver ring and mimic head. you get a fair amount of souls from anything that moves.

I'm thinking of where to go next. I've done Darkroot Garden/Basin.
I can go to the depths, but I'm thinking of doing things in a different order this time.

I guess I can go to New Londo or Catacombs? I know I'll have to go back there... and those are two of my most hated places in the game, with hell aka blighttown (I think I'm gonna take the shortcut this time and skip the visit) being the most hated.

Anor Londo is so perfect. I love that place!

Booshka

I'm at NG+ after finishing the game a couple of days ago...
The last boss was disappointing :/

I didn't have any patience, so I just went right to it and did the dark ending (I could have finished the game long before but was doing the necessary before going to NG+ and more)

I wanted (and need) those chunks, but I just wanted to be over with it.

So far, I beat Taurus Demon, Havel The Rock, Bell Gargoyle, Capra Demon, Titanite Demon, Moonlight butterfly and I just got done with Sif

Nothing has been too challenging so far.
I didn't get the tail weapon, and I need it for that goddam trophy!

The only thing I haven't been able to kill so far is the damn Hellkite Dragon! The damn things knocks me back even with a 95 fire defense shield and Smough's armor set, and the horrible framerate when he set the whole bridge doesn't help either.

I'm at 18 Faith right now, and pretty disappointed with Miracles :( I've used a couple of them, and their all pretty useless.
Heal and Great Heal Excerpt are useless because you can only use them in non boss situations since they're slow to cast. I don't find my self needing them when I got 20 +7 Flasks.

Force is nice to fuck around in the burg and push those idiots of a cliff. I haven't tried it in real combat yet.
I've got a couple of others like Homeward. I'm not going to waist a slot on that shit when I got only 5 and also want to put on my pyro which is way more useful. haven't tried Replenishment yet.
I've got a couple of others, plus more that I can't use because I need more faith. I hope putting points in faith will prove useful, those 10 points are too dam expensive to not be worth it.

I will say that leveling has been easier than I thought.
I got 172K (instead of 120) from Sif with the silver ring and mimic head. you get a fair amount of souls from anything that moves.

I'm thinking of where to go next. I've done Darkroot Garden/Basin.
I can go to the depths, but I'm thinking of doing things in a different order this time.

I guess I can go to New Londo or Catacombs? I know I'll have to go back there... and those are two of my most hated places in the game, with hell aka blighttown (I think I'm gonna take the shortcut this time and skip the visit) being the most hated.

Anor Londo is so perfect. I love that place!

Take your Faith to 30 and you can use Wrath of Gods, Sunlight Blade and Darkmoon Blade, the best miracles in the game. The lightning spears are good for PvE as well, you gotta join Sunbro's for one spell then donate Sunlight Medals to the Altar of Sunlight to get the other.

Mike M

Nick N
I finally beat him the other day. I would imagine that in NG+ you're well enough equipped to beat him the first time you meet him.

Shoot an arrow at him to provoke him into coming down onto the bridge. Run like hell as soon as you fire the arrow to get to bulge in the bridge wall right by the drake's left foot. This is a safe spot for when he breathes fire straight down if you hug the wall when he first jumps up.

You have to kill him quick, if he starts moving, it quickly gets unmanageable. Two handing a lightning claymore +5 did it for me.

Booshka

I finally beat him the other day. I would imagine that in NG+ you're well enough equipped to beat him the first time you meet him.

Shoot an arrow at him to provoke him into coming down onto the bridge. Run like hell as soon as you fire the arrow to get to bulge in the bridge wall right by the drake's left foot. This is a safe spot for when he breathes fire straight down if you hug the wall when he first jumps up.

You have to kill him quick, if he starts moving, it quickly gets unmanageable. Two handing a lightning claymore +5 did it for me.

Killing the Hellkite dragon is much harder on NG+. He has like 10K HP instead of 3K. It's still possible, but it's very hard.

Frank

M.D: Before doing anything else go (if you don't have the Master Key)
Darkroot Garden --> Valley of Drakes --> Blighttown
(if you do have the Key then)
Firelink --> New Londo Ruins --> Valley of Drakes --> Blighttown)
, and down the wheel, and to the right - to kill Queelag,
as it opens Sen's, which is the only way to enter Anor Londo.
And after you get the Lordvessel,
do New Londo Ruins and kill the Four Kings before doing anything else and before talking to the Primordial Serpent that awaits you in Firelink.
You'll get another chunk of story after you beat the Four Kings, if you do this.

Mike M

Nick N
Killing the Hellkite dragon is much harder on NG+. He has like 10K HP instead of 3K. It's still possible, but it's very hard.

Wow, seriously? That's a pretty dramatic increase. Is EVERYTHING around 3x HP? I don't want to face 4 Kings with 3x the HP : (

LProtag

It's been a while since I've played. What weapons are everyone using nowadays? I remember assuming that the weapons that scaled with magic and the such would end up being better than dex or str scaling ones based off of the guide... but I have no idea if that info is outdated or not.

If I'm not willing to go past 14 faith which is the better healing spell standard heal or great heal excerpt? I ask cause heal has five uses the and excerpt has only one.

Booshka

It's been a while since I've played. What weapons are everyone using nowadays? I remember assuming that the weapons that scaled with magic and the such would end up being better than dex or str scaling ones based off of the guide... but I have no idea if that info is outdated or not.

Everyone uses upgraded weapons to +15 then buffs them with a miracle or sorcery.

CountAntonius said:
If I'm not willing to go past 14 faith which is the better healing spell standard heal or great heal excerpt? I ask cause heal has five uses the and excerpt has only one.
Heal is much better.

M.D

Take your Faith to 30 and you can use Wrath of Gods, Sunlight Blade and Darkmoon Blade, the best miracles in the game. The lightning spears are good for PvE as well, you gotta join Sunbro's for one spell then donate Sunlight Medals to the Altar of Sunlight to get the other.

Yeah, that's the plan. I've got all those except for Wrath of Gods (I killed her by accident in Tomb) and Darkmoon Blade, which I need to get.

I can also get that one spell with 50 faith req and the lord soul, but I'm not sure I would get to 50 faith with this character.

Yeah, I tried that method, and a couple of others. I just tried to kill him like 20 times. I can only get a couple of hits and drink a couple of flasks in between his breathes, and I'm dead. There's always a point where you can't see him, and he get's behind me and I'm done.

I'm using the best fire def gear in the game, 2 different rings to boost fire def, a 90 fire def shield with 71 stability and he still kills me.

M.D: Before doing anything else go (if you don't have the Master Key)
Darkroot Garden --> Valley of Drakes --> Blighttown
(if you do have the Key then)
Firelink --> New Londo Ruins --> Valley of Drakes --> Blighttown)
, and down the wheel, and to the right - to kill Queelag,
as it opens Sen's, which is the only way to enter Anor Londo.
And after you get the Lordvessel,
do New Londo Ruins and kill the Four Kings before doing anything else and before talking to the Primordial Serpent that awaits you in Firelink.
You'll get another chunk of story after you beat the Four Kings, if you do this.

Are you referring to Darkstalker? I went with him the last time, and I think I'm going to do it again :p

I've just beat Quelaag on my first try.
She's pretty easy! with the right gear lol

I remember falling to her so many times before this NG+ :)
I remember coming from Blighttown and I couldn't find the bonfire in the tunnel, so this was extra hard. I even died many times on the way down there.

I also just learned that Greatsword of Artorias requires 20 faith. I was sure I needed 50. But it also requires 20 int, which sucks. 10 point to int then.

BTW, is this thread supposed to be spoiler free or are there no rules? I don't want to ruin the game for people, but sometimes I just forget or too lazy to put spoiler tags. There should be a spoiler tag in the editor. How awesome would that be?

So none of the fancy weapons, just straight upgrades? Sorry, don't have my guide around and can't remember exactly how upgrading worked.

Lighting, Fire, Chaos and other types are effective, but it depends on the build.
They are great for a good chunk of the game or builds that don't invest heavily in STR/DEX, as they do not scale.
Weapons that are upgraded in the "normal" route scale with you're stats (str,dex,faith,int). A good STR scaling weapon will outclass lighting or fire weapons, but you do need to invest in those stats to get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom