• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daigoro

He'll be going 2h, so 16 str isn't necessary.

how many STR points can you save by going 2 handed? is there a specific formula for that?

is playing 2h a viable strategy for PvE or just PvP? is it all about rolling and trying to avoid most attacks? does blocking 2h work at all?

Booshka

how many STR points can you save by going 2 handed? is there a specific formula for that?

is playing 2h a viable strategy for PvE or just PvP? is it all about rolling and trying to avoid most attacks? does blocking 2h work at all?

You need about 65% of the strength req to 1H in order to 2H.

Here are a few examples

11 to 16 for Claymore, etc
16 to 24 for Zweihander etc
19 to 28 for Great Club/Murakumo etc
27 to 40 for Demon Great Machete etc

And yes, 2H is viable in both PvE and PvP, especially PvP because you do so much more damage. Rolling and avoiding is always key, so being 2H doesn't change that. Blocking with a 2H weapon works okay with most weapons, and surprisingly well with some weapons (DGM). If you can roll out of the way, do it, blocking is only if you have no other choice.

Sullichin

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=131755078
Here's the link to that revised Chaos Blade Pyro build I'll probably make, I might use the BB glitch for this one though, don't have the time to make it legit.

Looks good, why the crest shield though?
I was messing around with the chaos blade/dex build that I started to make. Put sanctus on my back after hearing the idea in this thread. The minor health regen is useless. I think this build will have great scythe +15 / chaos blade offhand or the other way around.

Booshka

I was messing around with the chaos blade/dex build that I started to make. Put sanctus on my back after hearing the idea in this thread. The minor health regen is useless. I think this build will have great scythe +15 / chaos blade offhand or the other way around.

It has 80% magic resist and the stability is good enough. I also think it looks cool.

Soulhouf

Take off the sanctus and put on Grass Crest Shield and Evil Eye Ring. EER will give you enough HP to compensate Chaos Blade Loss against normal enemies.

My previous PvP character:
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=337580488

I called him "Moon Walker" and he kicked ass.

I had 3 months ago the idea of making a Pain/Nightmare character with something like 90 vitality + mask of the mother + giant set and DWGR but that's so generic and disgusting to a point that I don't even dare think of that again *laughs*

Booshka

Take off the sanctus and put on Grass Crest Shield and Evil Eye Ring. EER will give you enough HP to compensate Chaos Blade Loss against normal enemies.

My previous PvP character:
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=337580488

I called him "Moon Walker" and he kicked ass.

I had 3 months ago the idea of making a Pain/Nightmare character with something like 90 vitality + mask of the mother + giant set and DWGR but that's so generic and disgusting to a point that I don't even dare think of that again *laughs*

Nice character, although I would've suggested just taking STR to 27 to 2H the DGM and then putting the points elsewhere, like Faith. Faith scaling on DMB and Sunlight Blade will give you more damage than putting those points into Strength. 2H Strength scaling is pretty broken in this game.

Vit Gouge builds are annoying, albeit effective. I came across someone who had 99 Vit and FaP ring, but they went naked, so it wasn't too OP. He was really good at not getting hit and knew the range of his weapons perfectly.

Is it wrong that after a boss I visit Gwyndolin?
It's so...soothing.

Especially after that whole mess at the Crystal Cave. I was trying to cut Seath's tail for a very long time during the fight and then I realized "I never want to do that invisible walkway section ever again". So fuck it. I'll deal with not having every greatsword or whatevs.

Went back to the Painted World to farm. I need stats to get some usage out of all my weapons that aren't Lightning Claymore.

Booshka

Is it wrong that after a boss I visit Gwyndolin?
It's so...soothing.

Especially after that whole mess at the Crystal Cave. I was trying to cut Seath's tail for a very long time during the fight and then I realized "I never want to do that invisible walkway section ever again". So fuck it. I'll deal with not having every greatsword or whatevs.

Went back to the Painted World to farm. I need stats to get some usage out of all my weapons that aren't Lightning Claymore.

Upgrading your weapons will make them better than leveling stats for them. If you are doing both then good on ya, but make sure you are upgrading properly and diligently.

Clevinger

I finished Blighttown. Outside of those near rapid fire toxic dart shooting motherfuckers I didn't really have that much trouble. It sucked, but it wasn't as bad as I was fearing. I only died once outside of the boss.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have also never seen people use divine blessings with such imprudence as you have mentioned in this thread. Wouldn't it take quite a while with the BB glitch to get to 99 divine blessings? Unless I'm missing something. Also - I barely ever PVP in the forest, maybe that's where these shenanigans are happening.

Also, I don't think I've ever been invaded in the burg when I was low level, I have several characters, and a "twink" has never come into my game (but I have seen them in other people's worlds while co-opping). People act like it's a big epidemic or something ruining the beginning of the game for new players, but it really doesn't seem that common to me. Am I the only one? I get tons of invasions at higher levels in the burg for good old PVP.

Lol... I've had dozens of these assholes. I constantly make new characters and restart the game (it's a problem I have) and constantly get invaded in the burg by people only looking to gank.

Guevara

If I level up to 120 on NG+ will I still find co-op options? Specifically for Ornstein & Smough since they gave me the most trouble.

So is it a common thing to summon someone and then they be completely useless and leech the rewards? I summoned this guy for Quelaag and he just sat in the distance. I needed one more hit on her but she did her stupid OP explosion and I died. Gaaaaah

Edit: the characters name I summoned was "wikkid"

Mike M

Nick N
Are there different limits to the number of summoned characters you can have in different areas? I've had two people and one person and Solaire in the past, but then in New Londo I had only I one guy, but Mildred's sign wasn't there (It had been prior to summoning the guy.)

I had a failed summoning after summoning the first guy, wonder if that's related. Or alternately if it failed because for whatever reason NLR limits you to one phantom...

Are there different limits to the number of summoned characters you can have in different areas? I've had two people and one person and Solaire in the past, but then in New Londo I had only I one guy, but Mildred's sign wasn't there (It had been prior to summoning the guy.)

I had a failed summoning after summoning the first guy, wonder if that's related. Or alternately if it failed because for whatever reason NLR limits you to one phantom...

I think it's because of the failed summon. Same idea if you summon two people and somehow one dies before entering the boss zone. It happened to me on the way to Quelaag and then I couldn't summon Mildred.

Soulhouf

Nice character, although I would've suggested just taking STR to 27 to 2H the DGM and then putting the points elsewhere, like Faith. Faith scaling on DMB and Sunlight Blade will give you more damage than putting those points into Strength. 2H Strength scaling is pretty broken in this game.
Thank you. Perhaps I will try that on my next character.

As for that one, I understand but DGM is not the only weapon I use. I also use BKGA and I prefer to one hand it.
The 20 dex is for BKGA (18) and the Dragon Slayer Bow (20).
I'm very satisfied with this character. I don't use heavy armor and I switch between Eagle shield and Grass Crest Shield depending on the situation.
I also like to show my face so I never wear a helm.

Booshka

So is it a common thing to summon someone and then they be completely useless and leech the rewards? I summoned this guy for Quelaag and he just sat in the distance. I needed one more hit on her but she did her stupid OP explosion and I died. Gaaaaah

Edit: the characters name I summoned was "wikkid"

Some people co op a boss/area before they've done it themselves to get a look at what is ahead for them. He may have essentially just been scouting the boss in your game, it's unfortunate that he didn't help in any meaningful way but it may not have been entirely on purpose. Probably just clueless on what to do so he thought to just stay back and try to get free souls, it should be the opposite, the phantom should always throw themselves in front of the host when in co op.

A few weeks ago I was doing some chunk farming in New Londo Ruins, so I threw down my summon sign while I killed darkwraiths. Got summoned, went through the area with the host and another phantom. Before I entered the fog door I went to switch to Artorias ring and I didn't have it, derp. So I just stepped back, let the host and other phantom go fight 4 Kings while I just wandered around the level killing ghosts, it took them about 5 mins, but they ended up beating them and I got the souls and humanity for it. I wonder what kinda shit they were talking about me haha.

Mike M

Nick N
I never had a summoned guy play chicken, but I had a few summoners on the Ornstein and Smough fight be... Less than effective. I had at least three summons where I essentially solo killed both of them.

I can't begrudge them for it though.

Booshka

I never had a summoned guy play chicken, but I had a few summoners on the Ornstein and Smough fight be... Less than effective. I had at least three summons where I essentially solo killed both of them.

I can't begrudge them for it though.

Just having a summon to mess with the boss' aggro is usually enough to make the boss fight easy, so I don't mind if a phantom isn't doing much damage.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm kind of glad when I get summoned by somebody who's completely focused on defense. There are few things more depressing than seeing an overzealous host get smashed by a boss on its last legs. I'm perfectly okay with people summoning phantoms then standing in a corner with their shield up while their ghost pals take care of business.

I'm a bit less charitably inclined towards Estus misers, but those sorts of hosts are a big part of the reason I gravitated towards Faith builds for the bulk of my co-op characters.

Booshka

I'm kind of glad when I get summoned by somebody who's completely focused on defense. There are few things more depressing than seeing an overzealous host get smashed by a boss on its last legs. I'm perfectly okay with people summoning phantoms then standing in a corner with their shield up while their ghost pals take care of business.

I'm a bit less charitably inclined towards Estus misers, but those sorts of hosts are a big part of the reason I gravitated towards Faith builds for the bulk of my co-op characters.

If you are gonna co op, it's not hard to take your faith to 12, equip some Heal spell scrolls. It makes jolly co operation so much easier on you and the host.

I've done 3 full playthroughs in co op and all of those characters had the Heal spell, and it's co op so you don't have to worry about perfecting your level so much like you do when building for PvP.

Evolved1

What is an Estus miser? lol

Evolved1

Jackasses that don't heal their phantoms properly with Estus.

....wait, you can heal phantoms? hahaha

they really explain nothing to you in this game lol which is simultaneously awesome and awful

ixix

If you are gonna co op, it's not hard to take your faith to 12, equip some Heal spell scrolls. It makes jolly co operation so much easier on you and the host.

I've done 3 full playthroughs in co op and all of those characters had the Heal spell, and it's co op so you don't have to worry about perfecting your level so much like you do when building for PvP.

I kind of view a co-op character as being a PvP character by default since flinging yourself headfirst into combat with invaders on the trek to the boss is one of the responsibilities of a proper Sunbro, so I'm still pretty obsessive with my stat allocation. Add that how the Sunbro covenant is Faith-focused and going with a Faith build starts becoming highly attractive.

Now that I think about it the last five or so characters I've made have been Faith-oriented. I should run an Int build again one of these days.

they really explain nothing to you in this game lol which is simultaneously awesome and awful

Your phantoms are healed when you drink Estus, but not when you heal yourself by any other means. If one of your phantoms is hurt, drink some Estus even if you're at full HP. They'll appreciate it. Nobody likes an Estus miser. It ain't like the stuff is in short supply.

Damn, I'm with you. That might explain why my phantom was acting so weird. He had half health before going into the Quelaag fight and I was trying to point out that he needed to heal up. I've never been a phantom, they don't have Estus? It all makes sense now!

Soulhouf

You have to try everything in this game. If you've been a phantom even once you would figure out that when the host uses an Estus, it heals you.
I also hate hate hate these Estus miser. I've done hundreds of co-op and even against 4 Kings I met some Estus miser. I can't believe how they are so far in the game and yet they don't heal their phantoms. I always send a message after the fight to express my dissatisfaction when they don't heal me properly.

Jarlaxle

OK, guys. Some noob questions. Sorry in advance since I'm sure they've all been answered before but I can't search through 4 threads for the answers and the demon's souls community was always very patient and great with newbies.

So, I've played and beaten Demon's Souls so I'm not coming into this game completely new but I have a couple of questions for you. I played Demon's Souls as a Royal (I know, I know) and I enjoyed using the magic. From what I've been reading though it looks like the Pyromancer might be better than the sorcerer in this game for my tastes. Can the pyromancer still learn all the spells or only fire spells? If so, what stats should I focus on. Basically what's the +/- of each of those two classes and how should I build them?

Secondly, what's this about humanity? Does it work the same as demon's souls like being in spirit form and such? Does it really matter?

I know about being patient and not worrying about souls and all the good stuff but is there any particular words of wisdom for someone who hasnt' been following this game at all that I should be looking out for or not doing (ex: not using the boss level demon's souls in demon's souls because they should be used to level up equipment or used to buy spells, etc)?

Wish me luck. I'm looking forward to dying.

ixix

So, I've played and beaten Demon's Souls so I'm not coming into this game completely new but I have a couple of questions for you. I played Demon's Souls as a Royal (I know, I know) and I enjoyed using the magic. From what I've been reading though it looks like the Pyromancer might be better than the sorcerer in this game for my tastes. Can the pyromancer still learn all the spells or only fire spells? If so, what stats should I focus on. Basically what's the +/- of each of those two classes and how should I build them?

Pyromancy is a class of spells that has no equivalent in Demon's Souls, unlike Sorcery and Miracles which are fairly analogous to their Demon's Souls counterparts. The main distinguishing feature of Pyromancy is that it requires no stat investment to use, with its power instead being determined entirely by the level of your Pyromancy Flame, which is the Pyromancy equivalent of a Catalyst or Talisman. You can spend souls at any of the game's three Pyromancy Trainers to improve your Pyromancy Flame and thereby make your Pyromancies stronger.

Pyromancies are primarily short-ranged offensive spells, including fireballs of varying power, melee ranged bursts of flame, and several variations of the Firestorm spell with which you're probably familiar from Demon's Souls. It also has a handful of buff spells with either limited applicability (such as the Flash Sweat spell which reduces damage from fire-based sources) or some sort of downside (such as the Power Within spell which increases your attack power but also applies an effect causing constant continual HP loss). It doesn't have any form of long-ranged offensive spell or any form of healing, and the number of uses of each spell you receive is more limited than the number of comparable Sorceries or Miracles.

On the whole Pyromancy is essentially the spell school for non-Sorcery or Miracle-oriented characters. Absolutely any character build can use Pyromancy effectively provided they spend the souls to upgrade their flame, making it an easy choice for any build that isn't focused on either Int or Faith. It's worth noting that, unlike Demon's Souls, you don't have separate slots for equipping different types of spells, and Sorcery, Pyromancy, and Miracles all share a common pool of equip slots, making Pyromancy less popular for heavily Sorcery or Miracle-focused characters.

Like Demon's Souls there are no restrictions on what you can learn and equip based on your starting class. In time any character can do anything. The Pyromancer is a popular choice for first-time players because it has a well-rounded set of stats, the lowest starting Soul Level in the game, and begins the game with a Pyromancy Flame and the Fireball spell, which is tremendously useful in the early going. In time you can develop the character into any build you please and leave Pyromancy behind entirely if you so choose.

Secondly, what's this about humanity? Does it work the same as demon's souls like being in spirit form and such? Does it really matter?

Humanity is a complex mechanic. It's simultaneously an item, a sort-of stat, and a quasi-currency.

Like Demon's Souls, you've got two forms you can be in: human form and hollow form. They're roughly similar to the body and soul forms of Demon's Souls. In human form you can invade and be invaded and summon co-op allies. In hollow form your only interaction with the online portion of the game consists of viewing and leaving messages. Unlike Demon's Souls there are no further penalties to being in hollow form, you've got full HP at all times and there's no need to sacrifice a ring slot to an equivalent of the Cling Ring. The only real malus to being hollow is that you're ugly as sin. Wear a helmet.

To change into human form you need to expend a point of Humanity, which can be gained by assisting other players in co-op, killing other players as an invader, or by using an item called, appropriately-yet-confusingly, Humanity. When you die you'll revert to hollow form, and all of your Humanity will be lost. If you recover your bloodstain you will regain all of your Humanity along with your souls. Note that you do not lose Humanity in item form when you die, giving you an incentive to not use it as soon as you get it.

You can have up to 99 stored Humanity, which in addition to being used to change into human form is also a sort of stat. Stored Humanity slightly increases your defense, increases item drop rates, and also grants increased attack power to certain weapons.

I think that's a decent overview of what Humanity is without delving too deeply into esoteric functions. It's a sufficiently complicated mechanic that giving a good summary of it is kind of difficult. Suffice it to say that some amount of playing the game will be necessary to really get a firm grasp on how it works.

I know about being patient and not worrying about souls and all the good stuff but is there any particular words of wisdom for someone who hasnt' been following this game at all that I should be looking out for or not doing (ex: not using the boss level demon's souls in demon's souls because they should be used to level up equipment or used to buy spells, etc)?

The single most important piece of advice I can think of for new players is this: Do not hit people in barrels with a weapon to free them. Roll into the barrel instead.

Pretty much everything you've learned about boss souls is also applicable to Dark Souls, though they're no longer used to learn spells and the equipment made from boss souls isn't as powerful on the whole as it was in Demon's Souls.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Jackasses that don't heal their phantoms properly with Estus.
I will always chug for my bros. I like having Estus to spare for that reason, and always try to keep an eye on 'em.

In fact, it kind of irritates me when they crouch and heal, haha.

Beaulieu

wtf. I am at the chaos eater. destroyed both bubbles and now I dont know what to do. Theres no hole in front of him like im seein in the youtubes videos. fuuuck

edit : woooow ok nevermind

Mike M

Nick N
Finally beat those 4 King fuckers. God, I wish there was a bonfire in the ruins, even with the shortcut it was a pain in the ass to swap equipment for dealing with the ghosts and Darkwraiths.

Was having a bitch of a time just *getting* to the fight in good shape, the Darkwraiths were chewing through my health at every encounter. Turned out my shield was about to break and wasn't blocking, once I figured that out it was much easier.

But damn, I hated that fight... I had a bitch of a time just closing the gap to the first king before he started doing damage. I'd arrive with a chunk of health missing, which made it difficult to take him out before the next one spawned.

Finally did it though, but what a pain.

On a side note, me and another guy were helping out in co-op, but the host didn't have the ring equipped and fell to his death. Oops!

And DAMN are Darkwraiths stingy on the drops, even with the gold serpent...

K few more barrage of questions for high level players. I never got to pvp so I still need some info.

If I want to use a dex weapon(katana/curved sword/dagger) and it ooes just as much damage applying lightning or fire is there any point in stacking more points into dexterity vs vitality and endurance?

Is dagger viable in pvp at all?

Shield vs parrying dagger?

Do you need intelligence to get the most out of elemental damage on weapons? which is better overall lightning or fire?

Was having a bitch of a time just *getting* to the fight in good shape, the Darkwraiths were chewing through my health at every encounter. Turned out my shield was about to break and wasn't blocking, once I figured that out it was much easier.

But damn, I hated that fight... I had a bitch of a time just closing the gap to the first king before he started doing damage. I'd arrive with a chunk of health missing, which made it difficult to take him out before the next one spawned.

I realise it's a bit late now but there's a major shortcut through that level and if you know how to run through you can avoid fighting anything on the way to the boss. Their attacks do magic damage too so if you have a crest shield you can soak up those homing attacks with minimal loss of hp, which is in my experience more efficient than trying to dodge them.

K few more barrage of questions for high level players. I never got to pvp so I still need some info.

If I want to use a dex weapon(katana/curved sword/dagger) and it ooes just as much damage applying lightning or fire is there any point in stacking more points into dexterity vs vitality and endurance?

Do you need intelligence to get the most out of elemental damage on weapons? which is better overall lightning or fire?

i'm not the most experienced person to give pvp advice so take this with a grain of salt.. but the most straightforward method seems to be to meet minimum requirements for a weapon you'd like to use, upgrade that weapon to lightning/chaos+5 (i prefer chaos to fire - it scales with active humanity so to get the best out of it you'll need 10 active) and dump the rest of your points into Vitality and Endurance. At first I always sucked at PVP because I was hardly ever boosting my Vitality for PvE. Once I started putting it up and could survive at least being sneezed at, things changed for the better.

Another option is to pick a scaling weapon and apply a buff like sunlight blade. Demon's Great Machete+15 with minimum requirements (just enough strength to 2hand it) and sunlight blade is pretty killer (the insane backwards reach on that thing doesn't hurt either.)

If you can parry in pvp go for it, I haven't had much luck but then I always seem to be on the sucky end of lag. What's worked out the best for me is actually the moonlight sword+5 which has S scaling on INT and a ranged 2H attack that has awesome knock-down. So there are some scaling weapons with unusual moves that work really well, but generally people i'm fighting seem to have regular weapons upgraded along elemental paths- usually lightning. Having decent poise helps too as your attacks won't get interrupted if they have a faster weapon.

Dresden

1. dexterity scales and you can enchant it with spells. Also, it deals pure physical damage, so your numbers will only run up against one resistance instead of it split into two ala Fire or Lightning weapons. As you deal with higher defenses, this becomes rather important.

2. well . . . all you can do is riposte and backstab, pretty much. Slashing around means you're going to get parried and owned because dagger swings are so predictable. Also the range and damage sucks. Finally, rapiers, estocs, and the giant weapons all do better backstab damage.

3. Shield. Get a nice medium shield that can parry and you're set. I recommend Crest Shield for most folks.

4. Elemental weapons scale with no stat at all. Intelligence scales with Enchanted or Magic weapons.

Parrying: tip: lag means you need to hit parry BEFORE you see the swing. It's not reaction, it's pure anticipation. I usually catch people if they do predictable one-two-three combos.

Booshka

Parrying: tip: lag means you need to hit parry BEFORE you see the swing. It's not reaction, it's pure anticipation. I usually catch people if they do predictable one-two-three combos.

To add to this, a good strategy is to block the first attack of a combo, then parry the second. When you get used to the timing, it will become very effective. Most good players won't attack you head on if your shield is constantly up, so leave it down then block, then parry right after in line with their next attack.

Mike M

Nick N
I realise it's a bit late now but there's a major shortcut through that level and if you know how to run through you can avoid fighting anything on the way to the boss.
I've activated
the elevator from the first "ghost house" down to the Darkwraith area
, is there one outside of that?

Booshka

I'm hiding in the Seath the Scaleless boss area as an invader, I wonder if I will get sent home when the host makes his way in here, probably but I'm gonna chill here and see what happens.

Dresden

I've activated
the elevator from the first "ghost house" down to the Darkwraith area
, is there one outside of that?

You know the first 'square' you arrive at after crossing the bridge? Just jump off the edge and you end up in the darkwraith area. Look down, it's by the urn with the fingers in it.

Booshka

LOL, so the Host summoned two phantoms, and they were both role playing, one was Smough and the other was Ornstein. They came into the boss area while the host just hung back so he wouldn't cue the boss. I was hiding behind some crystal sticking out of the wall then blitzed them both when they got close. Killed em both then sprinted toward the host, he disconnects, haha.

Mike M

Nick N
Such a shame you can't upgrade boss armor, I love Ornstein's set but it gets outclassed by so many other sets in the long run...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom