• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

So when you fight the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, are there some holes in the water area or something? Because I've fallen through the floor and died twice now in the water where I'm close enough for it to lunge at me with his heads.

If it's a bug then I so don't want to keep fighting this fucking thing and falling through every time.

It's not a bug, the shallow end drops off sharply.

explodet

That stupid drop scared the hell out of me the first time I engaged the hydra successfully.

The other times it happened it just made me mad.

Clevinger

Turn your brightness up a bit if you can't see it. There's a noticeable change in color at the point where the bottom drops out.

Yeah, I saw it as soon as I looked for it. I was just really nervous the first two times I fought it. I went back in there and calmly kicked the shit out of him.

Frank

That stupid drop scared the hell out of me the first time I engaged the hydra successfully.

The other times it happened it just made me mad.

+1 :)

And the first Hydra I fought was the one in Ash Lake. And I was cursed. And scared like a chicken :) Didn't kill it at the time, but at least I got a taste of what the fight would be like. I liked having the other one in the Forest, looking beastly and foggy in the distance.

Actually, now that I think of it, in my first playthrough I actually left quite a few of these non-respawning creatures alive right up until the end - the Forest Hydra, Andre's Titanite Demon, Havel, the lonely Black Knight in the tower above the red drake, the guys atop Sen's...

I guess it was a combination of me not being good enough when first trying to kill some of them, and then understanding how this thing works at some point and that I would lose them for the entirety of that playthrough.

The funny thing is how in the next playthroughs I was kinda feeling guilty when killing one of these guys. Aside from Andre's Titanite Demon, which is now one of the rites of passage when making a low level character -- I go Burg to Darkroot, get to Andre and then do Parish backwards, as I want to keep Taurus alive to have the Burg open for invasions.

krakov

But... I love helping people :(

I was actually thinking to invest only in faith and get it to 50 in NG+

Maybe I should just open a new faith character?

What would be a good starting class for a faith build? What should I invest in other than faith?

Yeah, give it a try. I would recommend a cleric since they start with a good talisman, heal (?) and decent faith.

Sajjaja

lol, I just picked this up for $25+tax at Futureshop (with a $10 off used games coupon) for my PS3. I go into my car to open it, lo and behold, there is a copy of NHL 09 in the case. I rushed back into the store to the Customer Service counter and tell the lady what happened, and she gives me the most suspicious look ever. After about 2 minutes, she called over someone else who was totally chill about it and let me pick up another copy, which she opened in order to ensure that the game was in fact in there and marked the other one defective.

Oh man that was funny xD I'm still super curious how someone got NHL 09 into the case, it was shrink wrapped and in a plastic case. I'm guessing either the person who traded it in put it there, which would be strange since they typically open and check whether the game is in there, or it was actually a person working there...

Drencrom

DLC embargo incoming.

tumblr_lt7jwhvacL1qdsgs0o1_r1_400.png

Edit: or PC version.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Not sure whether you guys are being sarcastic or not but isn't it all but confirmed to be the delayed art book?

Mike M

Nick N
shit I didnt know master key opened that. interesting.

Great way to get killed early in the game. Havel killed me more times than... Well, anything else, and by a laaaaaarge margin.

But I wanted that ring sooooooo bad, I just kept at it. Eventually I got it, but I was so under powered I had to fight him for 20 minutes without making a single mistake.

Sullichin

Not sure whether you guys are being sarcastic or not but isn't it all but confirmed to be the delayed art book?

Where was this confirmed? Just because the JPN version's coming out - was it ever announced for America? I have no idea.

PC port for sure.

Or this.

Or... idk. need to change my pants regardless.

shit I didnt know master key opened that. interesting.

Yeah a few months ago I found out here that you can skip taurus demon, it blew my mind. Now i ALWAYS skip him to keep the burg open for invasions - the best place for PVP in the game.

Booshka

Yeah a few months ago I found out here that you can skip taurus demon, it blew my mind. Now i ALWAYS skip him to keep the burg open for invasions - the best place for PVP in the game.

I wish the 360 community treated this place as a great place for high level duels, but mostly it's just twink invaders. Sometimes I'll just chill in the burg and wait for invasions, get a fair amount of Darkmoon invasions which I welcome, then other times it'll be low level twink invaders that I beat into the ground for being dicks.

Sullichin

I wish the 360 community treated this place as a great place for high level duels, but mostly it's just twink invaders. Sometimes I'll just chill in the burg and wait for invasions, get a fair amount of Darkmoon invasions which I welcome, then other times it'll be low level twink invaders that I beat into the ground for being dicks.

I have also never seen people use divine blessings with such imprudence as you have mentioned in this thread. Wouldn't it take quite a while with the BB glitch to get to 99 divine blessings? Unless I'm missing something. Also - I barely ever PVP in the forest, maybe that's where these shenanigans are happening.

Also, I don't think I've ever been invaded in the burg when I was low level, I have several characters, and a "twink" has never come into my game (but I have seen them in other people's worlds while co-opping). People act like it's a big epidemic or something ruining the beginning of the game for new players, but it really doesn't seem that common to me. Am I the only one? I get tons of invasions at higher levels in the burg for good old PVP.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I have also never seen people use divine blessings with such imprudence as you have mentioned in this thread. Wouldn't it take quite a while with the BB glitch to get to 99 divine blessings? Unless I'm missing something. Also - I barely ever PVP in the forest, maybe that's where these shenanigans are happening.

Also, I don't think I've ever been invaded in the burg when I was low level, I have several characters, and a "twink" has never come into my game (but I have seen them in other people's worlds while co-opping). People act like it's a big epidemic or something ruining the beginning of the game for new players, but it really doesn't seem that common to me. Am I the only one? I get tons of invasions at higher levels in the burg for good old PVP.

The worst places for griefing that I encountered were the Lower Undead Burg and the Depths. I think the best example in the Burg I ever encountered was a guy with a Lightning Zweihander who exploited latency to kill hosts before he even spawned. Since the spawn point for invaders is right on the bridge before Capra and people tend to hang out on that bridge in human form summoning help for a while he had no shortage of victims. I personally saw at least five hosts die to him over the course of several days, so I imagine he was at it for a while. I saw it happen enough that I was able to queue up a "Not this shit again" emote as soon as I saw the host die to an invader that didn't yet exist.

It was a bit of an epidemic for a time there, honestly. It played a not-insignificant role in forming my distaste for Dark Souls invasions.

Mike M

Nick N
Is the Crystal Rung shield worth forging? It used to be amazing but has been nerfed to nigh uselessness, right?

Just don't know what to do with the butterfly soul...

Booshka

Is the Crystal Rung shield worth forging? It used to be amazing but has been nerfed to nigh uselessness, right?

Just don't know what to do with the butterfly soul...
Crystal Ring Shield is not worth making, the Moonlight Horn is a pretty good spear with range that scales with Intelligence and does magic damage. Otherwise just feed it to Frampt for 8000 souls.

Mike M

Nick N
I'll probably feed it to Frampt. Probably won't ever have a build that finds the spear useful.

Incidentally, I only recently realized that enchanted and magic are two different upgrade paths. WTH is the difference?

Booshka

I'll probably feed it to Frampt. Probably won't ever have a build that finds the spear useful.

Incidentally, I only recently realized that enchanted and magic are two different upgrade paths. WTH is the difference?

Enchanted scales more with Intelligence, whereas Magic is a little more balanced to Physical damage and magic damage. Kinda like the difference between Occult and Divine. It's also pretty worthless similar to occult and divine.

Mike M

Nick N
Enchanted scales more with Intelligence, whereas Magic is a little more balanced to Physical damage and magic damage. Kinda like the difference between Occult and Divine. It's also pretty worthless similar to occult and divine.

Yeah, I don't know the difference between occult and divine either, but I was at least aware they were two different upgrades : )

Am I wrong for leveling my character in NG+? I'm currently SL100 with 35 VIT and END, 42 STR and 22 DEX

I'm a pyro and want to invest heavily in faith in NG+, but I realized this will probably make me too strong? Or at least will take some challenge out of the game?

It seems a lot of people don't level their character in NG+? Or am I wrong? There's also a lot of people who finish the game with a low level character..

This almost make me feel like I'm cheating... I feel bad enough for reading a lot on wiki :(

making new characters for different things is always fun if you like the game enough :) i have a low level guy for helping new players, two mid-range builds use to play with friends (one faith/strength, one pure strength) and a sorcery build that is currently at SL123 and i'm debating stopping at 125 or just going all the way and trying to max level her.

also have an archery build which i'm not really digging much at the moment, and thinking of starting a faith/dex build for using chaos blade with sanctus and other health buffs/regen.

Booshka

making new characters for different things is always fun if you like the game enough :) i have a low level guy for helping new players, two mid-range builds use to play with friends (one faith/strength, one pure strength) and a sorcery build that is currently at SL123 and i'm debating stopping at 125 or just going all the way and trying to max level her.

also have an archery build which i'm not really digging much at the moment, and thinking of starting a faith/dex build for using chaos blade with sanctus and other health buffs/regen.

This sounds awesome, I love Chaos blade and this is a great idea that I may steal.

I lost my save file awhile back and haven't played since. Started up today and man I've missed this game so much. Previously, I rarely ever summoned for bosses because I was worried about humanity and stock piled it for no reason. Now I've summoned every boss and it's been a lot more fun.

Agent_J

can anyone here help out a [very low level] noob here? i played this game for an hour and felt like i kept doin the wrong thing so started over and chose the pyro and now i'm at level 5 (3 hours in) and i'm at the shrine near the beginning after the huge raven dropped me off. supposedly, i should head up the stairs but my dumb ass attacked the two humans here, and now every time i respawn they attack me full force!! i managed to kill the fat one but the blue guy near the bonfire is relentless!! i can't even run away because he chases me!! lol!!

do i need to start allll over and create a new file? have i fucked myself? is the whole game like this? damn these video games for hand holding me the past years, i can't seem to progress in this amazingly hardcore game!

i realize i'm a fool for playing this with no help or guide, so the official guide should be shipping to me tomorrow :)

Booshka

can anyone here help out a [very low level] noob here? i played this game for an hour and felt like i kept doin the wrong thing so started over and chose the pyro and now i'm at level 5 (3 hours in) and i'm at the shrine near the beginning after the huge raven dropped me off. supposedly, i should head up the stairs but my dumb ass attacked the two humans here, and now every time i respawn they attack me full force!! i managed to kill the fat one but the blue guy near the bonfire is relentless!! i can't even run away because he chases me!! lol!!

do i need to start allll over and create a new file? have i fucked myself? is the whole game like this? damn these video games for hand holding me the past years, i can't seem to progress in this amazingly hardcore game!

i realize i'm a fool for playing this with no help or guide, so the official guide should be shipping to me tomorrow :)

You can beat the other guy with parries and backstabs, it's not easy, but you can do it. Just tap L2 (LT on 360) when his weapon is about to hit you, and it should stagger him, then press R1(RB) and it will do a critical attack (Riposte). You can also backstab him by getting behind him and pressing R1(RB) with your shield down. If you can't do it, just start over.

Try throwing fireballs at him if you got em.

This sounds awesome, I love Chaos blade and this is a great idea that I may steal.

Be my guest!

That does sound like an interesting build. How much faith would be good for healing?

Off top of my head I think you need 18 faith to use sanctus effectively. Add to that whatever the requirement for replenishment is. Was thinking of stacking with ring of evil eye during pve too.

Why would you expect this? DS is practically built for the roguelike audience that hangs around the computerspace

I'd expect some of this purely due to hype factor and some people being unable to manage expectations.

maomaoIYP

I'd expect some of this purely due to hype factor and some people being unable to manage expectations.

Probably a lot of "PC has been playing games like this since <year>" and "console peasants bitch/hype so much about a game so easy/mediocre, all hail the master race" as well.

ixix

Off top of my head I think you need 18 faith to use sanctus effectively. Add to that whatever the requirement for replenishment is. Was thinking of stacking with ring of evil eye during pve too.

You need 18 Faith to use it as a shield, but if all you care about is the regen you can still get it by equipping it without meeting the requirement. Even the most faithless of heathens can heal up by slinging it across their back. If you're planning on using the Chaos Blade two-handed -- and doing so isn't a bad idea, seeing as how it does a fixed amount of damage per hit, so the fewer hits you need to kill something, the better -- you'd probably be better served spending the points you'd be using to qualify for Sanctus elsewhere.

I'm not sure it even really heals enough to effectively mitigate the damage from the Chaos Blade. A single swing of the Chaos Blade causes 20 damage to the wielder, which Sanctus would need 20 seconds to heal. The regen from Sanctus is pretty naff, really. It's certainly not a bad choice for a two-handed Chaos Blade build considering it and the Grass Crest Shield are your only two options for making use of your otherwise useless left hand slot, but I wouldn't bother spending the stat points to make use of it as anything more than a back decoration.

ixix

I will have you know that there is no shield better than Sanctus for running around pretending to be Leeroy.

Other than that it is terrible, this much I confess to be true though it pains me to admit it.

Yeah I realize it's 2hp per sec. But planning to stack it w other stuff. I got enough serious builds anyway, time for experiments!

Regarding state distribution a quick sketch says from a thief starter I can have 40 dex 28 faith (for wotg) 4 attunement slots and 40 each vit and end at around sl120. I could have less faith but given the point was to have a dex/faith build..

Dresden

Yeah I realize it's 2hp per sec. But planning to stack it w other stuff. I got enough serious builds anyway, time for experiments!

Regarding state distribution a quick sketch says from a thief starter I can have 40 dex 28 faith (for wotg) 4 attunement slots and 40 each vit and end at around sl120. I could have less faith but given the point was to have a dex/faith build..

May as well put two more points in Faith and take Sunlight Blade.

ixix

It's actually 2 HP every 2 seconds, for an average of 1 HP per second. It would take Sanctus 20 seconds to fully heal you from a single swing of the Chaos Blade.

My favorite character I ever ran was actually a Dex/Faith build kitted out to look like Oswald. Equipment was the full Black Cleric armor, Ricard's Rapier, and the Parrying Dagger. Stylish as hell, and doesn't rely on the Dark Wood Grain Ring to have full mobility. I used him in PvP a lot and refused to ever backstab. A win that was not earned through a riposte or Ricard's R2 was no win at all.

Wowbagger

You need 16 strength to wield the Chaos Blade. You would save four levels by starting as a cleric rather than a thief (117 vs 121):

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=Y2xlcm...ub3JtYWwsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCww

Booshka

I really love Dex/Pyro, it works well with Chaos Blade since you can't enchant it anyway. I took my STR to 16, Dex to 45 for quicker casting times, Attunement at 19 for 5 Slots (16 Great Combustion, Fire Tempest, Great Chaos Fireball) and then the rest into Endurance and Vitality (50/40 respectively). It's a really fun and effective build for PvP, I equip a Crest Shield and Pyro flame in left hand, and Chaos blade and Pharis bow or Chaos Rapier (for chuggers) in my right.

I just checked it out on a character builder and if you started as Pyromancer you could take your Attunement to 23 if you left your Vitality at 49 and be exactly at level 120. I started as Wanderer and am at 118 with the stats above, so I kinda fucked up, but whatever, it's good enough.

So, for a level 120 Pyro Dex with Chaos Blade.

Pyromancer

Vitality 49
Attunement 23
Endurance 40
Strength 16
Dexterity 45
Resistance 12
Intelligence 10
Faith 8

Daigoro

i love the Onion knight guy. he's hanging around in Firelink now for me. i was tempted to kill him, just because im powerful enough to now, but he seems like a good dude and probably wouldnt drop anything worthwhile for me (im guessing). love his armor set. very cool design.

so, i guess ill give a quick update on my first games progress (but im literally all over the place in the last few days, so it will be hard to describe, and remember all that ive done)-

last time i posted my progress i was at Anor Londo and felt like it was going to be a tough ass grind. fortunately/unfortunately i dropped a sign and got paired up with someone who was more powerful that i was but more importantly knew exactly where to go and what to do. he led me through all of Anor Londo, opening doors and all of the routes i needed, and led me to the boss fight in like 15-20 minutes. it was over quick.

i met the godess, got the prize and then headed back to Firelink. i met Frampt (thats the leviathan dude in Firelink, right?) and he took me to the spot.

since then ive just wandered the land, trying to complete areas i had left unfinished. no idea where i should be headed, just wandering (pretty much 90% like how ive been playing since i started). ive done the majority of New Londo, cleared the catacombs, discovered the Tomb of Giants, the Archives, the Crystal Cave (insane).

oh also, beat the big serpent in Darkroot Basin and found the whole other huge area off to the side there (is this the Forest or just another part of Darkroot?). kind of blew my mind there. that place felt vast at first and really the whole game feels HUGE.

been to both Seam battles and got my ass handed to me several times and cursed twice. also, found and beat Nito and returned his soul to the bowl.

thats where im at now, lots of areas left to clear, no real clear idea of what order i should be doing it all in (but not really caring).

im using the Stone armor i found in Darkroot (using Havel's ring since i killed that tough bastard at the bottom of the tower). i want to switch to a lighter armor that i can buff up, but not sure what is worth it quite yet.

been using the same exact Battle Axe that ive been using since before i cleared Undead Parish! it's Lightning +5 now though, so it's pretty boss. been thinking about a change though. also have a Caduceus +11 shield im using because i was tired of how the knight shield clashed with everything i wanted to wear.

one last thing, i got to Snuggly today for the first time. i was looking up where to farm titanite chunks on the wikidot and Snuggly's name came up (he trades for one apparently), so i decided to visit him. ive tried to get up there before, but never made it close. probably never wouldve found that without help...

went back to er- the starting spot and found all the good stuff there, including my first slab. really tempted to use the slab on my +5 lightning axe, but im not sure. i know they are very rare.

around lvl 56 now maybe (divided between VIT, DEX, END, and STR), and that's about where im at.

Hah thanks for the input guys. I'm on my phone and couldn't remember that planner link so cheers for that. Will be my next project after finishing knights honour trophy- two weapons to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom