• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
20 Humanity + Gold Serpent Ring and I still can't get anything but Titanite Chunks from these DarkWraiths. Anyone have a better way of getting SLABS?
I tried farming with around 400 item discovery, still couldn't get Slabs from those guys. Pretty frustrated right now.

Have you ventured into Demons Ruins? there's some pretty good loot down there. Ceaseless discharge is easy if you use the crevice in the middle of his area to fight him.

And there's an ember in the ruins towards the bottom right after you beat Ceaseless, but It's pretty tough to fight through those Lava worms will make you cry.
I grabbed the loot from around the corner of Ceaseless discharge, but died trying to bolt out the area! Another time, he's pretty scary.

Wait until you're standing on the wheel itself before stepping off. Saw it on a stream once and haven't died on the water wheel since.
This is the way, thanks!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just did my 10th run through. Fricken ridiculous and I need 4 of these damn things to max out my Elite Armor. Gaaaaahh
Eh, unless you just really love the looks of the Elite Armor I would definitely not waste 4 slabs on the set. It's actually fairly terrible compared to what you could be upgrading with that much material.

I'm still experimenting with a good lightweight-but-still-protective Dexterity style armor set. Mixing and matching Xanthos/Painting Guardian/Brass Armor/Paladin/Darkwraith/Dark Leather

Finding the best possible defense while still looking cool is fairly difficult. I usually wear Smough's gauntlets if I have the endurance to spare as they look fine and offer a shitload of poise for just a glove slot.

The Chef

Geez I am so hesitant to just beat the game and start NG+
The last area has been a gold mine for being summoned and PVP. Im currently holding onto 700,000+ souls just so I stay in the level bracket. Uhhh I should just beat it.

Soulhouf

I personally think Demon Souls is much more difficult than Dark Souls. So many cheap deaths in Demon.

The first time you venture into these games, Dark Souls is harder because of the open world thing and how you can go to many places that are very hard if you're not prepared.
But once you know the game well, Demon's Souls is much harder.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm hanging around in Blighttown, and I think I've done everything. Quelaag is a dead, and I've gone through the area from the Depths and met up with where I've got to from coming from Valley of Drakes, so I'm done right? Think I got all the loot. The only thing I didn't do was kill the boulder throwing bad guys, but did get the loot that's close to them.

I had to laugh because I was going from the bonfire up the wheel lift and twice I'd dropped to my death after getting off the lift just fighting the flies - because of lock on and walking the wrong way, so the third time I'm aware of the flies who will be coming soon, but I miss the jump off the lift and fall to my doom -23000 souls + 9 humanity = Dark Souls.

Never get complacent, because that's when you will fall to your death along the walkway you've traversed a thousand times!

edit: and now I've seen all of Blighttown, I think it's over-rated in terms of threat and performance. It certainly dipped, but nowhere near what I was expecting from all the woes I'd read, I was expecting it to come to a complete stuttering halt, but it was never anywhere near. Once the blow-dart guys are gone, it's a cakewalk.
Blighttown connects to another area I didn't see mentioned here.

Which in turn connects you to another area...

I finally beat the game, the last parts went quicker than I expected.

I took on Four Kings on my own, wasn't that bad at SL84 and lots of pyromancy.

The last boss I managed to get down to 25% on my first try before I got into the dreaded stun lock - recovery attempts cycle. A few attempts later I gave in and summoned two phantoms. These guys were backstabbing the knights on the way to the boss before I could even try and get a hit at them.

On the ending itself:
very underwhelmed. I had stayed away from spoilers/discussion, so I was expecting a bit more than that. The build-up at the start of the level was great (white walls with phantoms passing through). The sudden loading screen (toward NG+) was pretty jarring. I lit the bonfire, didn't even realize there are apparently other options. At least in Demon's Souls you had the idea that you made a choice.

I tried half an hour of NG+ and that was surprisingly easy so far (got up to Solaire). I felt like I was doing a speed run with my nifty gear (silver knight because it looks cool) and lightning spear +5. Very tempting to just continue, helping others beat bosses is so much fun. Shame that you can't do that easily due to the level ranges (which is required, I realize).

Thanks for the help from all in this thread (both to my previous questions and the general discussion; it helped a lot).

The first time you venture into these games, Dark Souls is harder because of the open world thing and how you can go to many places that are very hard if you're not prepared.

Yeah, once I got to know each level in Dark Souls, I never really had problems. In Demon's, I still have nightmares featuring those laser beam firing ghosts (4-2 I think?).

The Chef

Feels good man.
Photo%20Mar%2031%2C%201%2050%2005%20PM.jpg

Canova

Banned
Just did my 10th run through. Fricken ridiculous and I need 4 of these damn things to max out my Elite Armor. Gaaaaahh

why you wanna complete your armor? not worth using slabs for amors, it only add a few points of defense which is meaningless. Always use slabs for weapons

Maxing out isn't worth it.

The best armors all tend to be upgraded with Twinkling Titanite. Giant's, Black Iron, etc.
Good point. I still need at least 2 of the bastards for my Uchi and Claymore. What kind of END are you guys shooting for. Do you always have Havels ring on?

M.D

Ah yes, forgot about reinforced club. thanks.

Try out this weapon when you get it.. it's faster than some of the other STR weapons, has an amazing move set, and does tons of damage.

Got it thanks to WOWbagger :) I'll try it out tomorrow

Just had my first co-op experience in the game! This is more fun than I could have ever imagined.

I did co-op with WOWbagger, we went through Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith.

We were invaded a bunch of times, more often he did while waiting for me to summon him. I died every time :)
Got invaded by some Darkwraith dick who was shooting poisoned darts and throwing dung pie lol
Almost died at almost every boss :p Bed of Chaos managed to kill me, and I lost 700K souls trying to go back there after we killed her... by a fucking Titanite Demon :(

The most difficult thing in this was finding the bonfire in Lost Izle lol. I searched for it for a good amount of time
This is my second playthrough, and I used the short cut to Lost Izle last time, so I had no idea where to go in that place

I had to kill sunbro... had to put him out of his misery :( Also, the shortcut to Lost Izle was open, which is weird. I did open it in my first playthrough, but not in this NG+.

Had a great time, thx WOWbagger :)
If someone would like to co-op, PM me your PSN ID

Roche

Just got wrecked by some guy using the Darkmoon Blade weapon buff miracle with Claws. I had no idea such a combination was so effective, it's super fast and kills me in about four hits.

That's Dark Souls I suppose some nights things go excellent and other nights you just get destroyed, still though it's all a learning experience.

Dresden

Poise is the game changer.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I went back and played through Demon's Souls again after completing several playthroughs of Dark Souls and found it way easier. The MP bar, the existence of passive HP regen items that are actually worthwhile, and being able to easily stock up on huge amounts of healing items made it feel like easy mode.

I was even running a Blueblood Sword build so my character was totally garbs until I had finished 5-3 and 1-3. Still powered through the game no prob.

Soulhouf

Just got wrecked by some guy using the Darkmoon Blade weapon buff miracle with Claws. I had no idea such a combination was so effective, it's super fast and kills me in about four hits.

That's Dark Souls I suppose some nights things go excellent and other nights you just get destroyed, still though it's all a learning experience.

Darkmoon Blade is the strongest buff in the game. It will transform any weapon+15 to a beast.
I remember doing 900 damage with a Washing Pole buffed with Darkmoon Blade. I can't imagine how it would be with some uber weapons like Demon Great Axe or Demon Great Machette.

Darkmoon Blade is the strongest buff in the game. It will transform any weapon+15 to a beast.
I remember doing 900 damage with a Washing Pole buffed with Darkmoon Blade. I can't imagine how it would be with some uber weapons like Demon Great Axe or Demon Great Machette.

To fully level it up to +3 takes an insane amount of time though.

Booshka

It does about 1150 damage with a DGM and about 1180 with DGA.
To fully level it up to +3 takes an insane amount of time though.

This is true, unless you BB glitch or have someone who BB glitched drop some ears for you. I have gotten about 50 ears from Darkmoon Invasions though, and I got about 20 from farming the Harpies in Painted World.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
mother f'n ornstein and smough.....i cant make any progress on one without the other cheesing my ass while im attacking the other one. Any tips or should i just try to summon someone for coop? i have a drake sword +4, and lightning spear +2 im trying to beat them with.

2AdEPT

You are like the zillionth person in these OT to be stuck on this part. I don't mean that in any mean way, just that it's pretty universally regarded as one of the hardest parts of one's first play through. Anyway, run straight up, ignore the guy on the left, head to the right, roll through the arrow (this is the key - don't block it), then get up in the knight's face and either kill him or knock him off the ledge. or, you can shoot them with poison arrows and just wait for them to die.

having a shield with good stability helps as well....bring the eagle shield, then sit behind it with a spear or other weapon that allows you to turtle up and still attack.

2AdEPT

mother f'n ornstein and smough.....i cant make any progress on one without the other cheesing my ass while im attacking the other one. Any tips or should i just try to summon someone for coop? i have a drake sword +4, and lightning spear +2 im trying to beat them with.

if you want to do this alone you will nned ot upgrade your spear and bring a fire weapo or pyro......Orn I beleive i impervious to lightning. (but it could be smu...can't remember which but one is for sure)

Booshka

Which blacksmith can attach fire?
Catacombs blacksmith Vamos does.

Did you pick up the Crystal Halberd at the beginning of Anor Londo from the Mimic chest? Both of your weapons are kinda weaksauce, so if you have the Crystal Halberd, it will be an easier fight. If not, equip the Eagle Shield and Drake sword, attack Ornstein first, then after you kill him, switch to your Lightning Spear to attack Smough. If you want to kill Smough first, then do the opposite, I just suggest killing Ornstein first because Smough is easier to kill second when you have a lightning spear.

Crystal Halberd is your best option if you have it though, it does excellent damage, don't upgrade it though, it breaks easily, it's just a disposable weapon.

Clevinger

*jolly cooperation*

Heh. When I summoned Solaire he got trashed on the easy first stage of that fight. I can't imagine how useless he would have been on the second stage where shit gets real.

You can kill the fat guy quickly with the lightning spear. He's weak to it. Keep circling around him so the spear guy is on the other side of the fat guy. When the spear guy goes super saiyin (after the fat guy dies), stay close to his legs; try to be right behind him/his legs whenever you can. You can run under his legs. When he hops away, run like hell to get back under him with your shield up (in case he attacks on your way there). When he jumps up to do his lightning stomp, run and/or roll away quickly, then run back when the lightning stops.

Sullichin

Just beat Quelaag SL1 naked + poisoned with reinforced club +5, no blocking (grass crest shield + 1 on my back for stamina recovery). Feels good.

Spent over an hour farming to get the Channeller's Trident. What a pain in the ass. Was satisfying, though, when i got it and my final trophy dinged. The Platinum in this was easy compared to Demon's Souls. The World Tendencies always confused the shit out of me in that game, so i gave up trying after a while.

There's very few games that completely suck me into their world like this one. Can't wait to see what FROM come up with to follow this game up. The mechanics and world designs in this series are a cut above everything else. I think i'm gonna give Demon's Souls another playthrough now. :)

balddemon

Banned
upgraded my sword a bit. game just got a whole lot more fun lol. beat the tower knight my first try too. much easier than in demon's souls

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, I really need to replay through this. I love the confidence shift the second time through...

edit: Maybe tonight. Who could not want to spend more time as this guy?
iB0gmzk94cWSX.png
ibYxejFzWdRY6.png

MMaRsu

Good point. I still need at least 2 of the bastards for my Uchi and Claymore. What kind of END are you guys shooting for. Do you always have Havels ring on?

I'm always using Havels ring in combo with his armor, sometimes to go PVE I like to wear my elite knight armor +6 or however high it is, just because it looks so cool.

-edit-

Hawkian what armor is that? It's not havel's is it?

How do people have such powerful weapons? Summoned some guys to help me with Smough & Ornstein and they took down Smough in like, 5 seconds. My Lightning Spear +5 is good, but not that good. SL 55 if that matters.

krakov

How do people have such powerful weapons? Summoned some guys to help me with Smough & Ornstein and they took down Smough in like, 5 seconds. My Lightning Spear +5 is good, but not that good. SL 55 if that matters.

Game has been out a while, people have that kind of stuff in the first area already. It's become especially common lately since everyone uses the glitch that lets you transfer items to new characters.

Game has been out a while, people have that kind of stuff in the first area already. It's become especially common lately since everyone uses the glitch that lets you transfer items to new characters.

I mean, what could they be using specifically.

Max Lightning Spear isn't good enough I guess : (

Sullichin

Well done!
Just why didn't you upgrade your reinforced club to beyond +5? Or is it just for the challenge?

That, and

Probably taking it Chaos/Fire.
going to eventually do this. Might make a lightning one too, but I don't have the large ember yet anyway. I plan on beating most of the bosses on this SL1 run.. capra and gaping dragon are next. tried a couple of times to beat capra with the same setup (naked without blocking, +5 club). he was not intimidated and planted me firmly into the ground.

How do you obtain Ornsteins armor? Is it better than Havels? Probably not right.. :p

You kill Ornstein last in the Anor Londo boss fight (it's considered harder to do it in this order), and then you can buy it from Domhall of Zena, the merchant wearing the armor of the glorious set who is sitting under the bridge into undead burg in firelink. If you kill Smough last, Domhall sells that armor instead. Ornstein's armor is one of my favorite sets in the game. It's not "better" than Havels in terms of poise or any sort of defense, but it's lighter, has pretty good stats/poise,and looks cool.

krakov

I mean, what could they be using specifically.

Max Lightning Spear isn't good enough I guess : (

Well, they could be using anything really, SL means very little. The spear isn't a very strong weapon and will be outdone by most weapons taken the same upgrade path. There is also scaling of course, which is better in many cases but demands more dedicated stats and/or faith/magic buffs. Not very common at SL 45-65.

Lightning spear +5 will work fine though and you'll be able to upgrade other weapons if you want to switch it up. The only rare materials are the slabs for the final level and dragon scales which are used for a few specific ones.

Zeth

Has anyone been watching YouTuber EpicNameBro's videos? He is amazing and hilarious, I've been following him since the Japanese release. He recently put up a whole set of Dark Souls lore videos and a badass FlameLurker kill. He had a FlameLurker kill contest and a dude submitted a melee/no shield FL kill which was impressive.

The Chef

Anyone else feel cheap and guilty when you defeat someone in PVP by doing a backstab?

I always feel like crap if I win like that. Most of the time I will be in an ideal spot for it but I wont take the shot. This in turn leads to me getting stabbed in the back haha.

Sullichin

Has anyone been watching YouTuber EpicNameBro's videos? He is amazing and hilarious, I've been following him since the Japanese release. He recently put up a whole set of Dark Souls lore videos and a badass FlameLurker kill. He had a FlameLurker kill contest and a dude submitted a melee/no shield FL kill which was impressive.

Yeah, I like the new build he posted (power within + crystal magic weapon + balder side sword + lingering dragoncrest). definitely want to make a build with buffed balder side sword after watching this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bBKtlY1LH4&list=UUI6keWArpxmfeiuAATv7jZw&index=1&feature=plcp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom