• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPee

I've died trying to get off that wheel lift a couple times.
What a piece of junk.

I lost 99 Humanity and 600,000k souls on my SL20 SunbroWraith character at the damn wheel. :(

Speaking of which, anyone up for some jolly co-operation with said character for O&S if you're at around the same level?

Sullichin

Oh thats right. Thanks.

When guys are doing that summon spell to lure phantoms is that a covenant thing or a spell?

Sounds like you are talking about the Dried Finger. It's in the painted world. You equip this like any other item but it can be used over and over, and it's supposed to reset your invasion timer so you can get invaded more frequently. So, it's common to see people in PVP areas use it over and over in between fights.

The Darkmoon blade is a faith-based enchantment for your right hand weapon, and it's the most powerful enchantment in the game. The added damage scales with your talisman's MagAjust stat (which will scale based on your faith), and it also scales with your rank in the Darkmoon covenant (you need to be a member of this covenant to use the miracle). When you see people with glowing purple/white on their swords, they are using this. You can only get one cast of it, but for PVP and bosses, that should be enough for you to deal some serious damage. You can access this miracle by giving 10 souviners of reprisals to Gwyndolin once you are in his covenant.

I prefer the sunlight blade to darkmoon blade. It doesn't add quite as much damage, but it is still really powerful, you don't need to be in a covenant to use it, and you can get multiple castings in NG+ and beyond.

Currently juggling between my DEX Build (don't know if I want to go crystal magic weapon or sunlight blade with this), my SL1 run, and NG+ SL15. I really should stop playing this game for a while.

I'm quite shocked at just how different my playstyle seems to be between Demon's Souls and this. I couldn't imagine making through my first run of Demon's Souls without magic, while my character in Dark Souls doesn't know any magic yet and I don't really miss it. In Demon's Souls, the shield for me was a cautionary defensive measure when walking around corners and a backup defensive measure incase I fucked up with my dodging. I never relied on it for most of my defense. In Dark Souls so far, I am often relying 100% on the shield.

What's up with that? When I first looked at Dark Souls I was like "Demon's Souls level pack, awesome!" but it's actually ending up fairly different. I actually used a spear for a while there. In Demon's Souls I tried one out for 20 seconds, went NOPE, and switched back to my scimitar.

The Chef

Sounds like you are talking about the Dried Finger. It's in the painted world. You equip this like any other item but it can be used over and over, and it's supposed to reset your invasion timer so you can get invaded more frequently. So, it's common to see people in PVP areas use it over and over in between fights.

The Darkmoon blade is a faith-based enchantment for your right hand weapon, and it's the most powerful enchantment in the game. The added damage scales with your talisman's MagAjust stat (which will scale based on your faith), and it also scales with your rank in the Darkmoon covenant (you need to be a member of this covenant to use the miracle). When you see people with glowing purple/white on their swords, they are using this. You can only get one cast of it, but for PVP and bosses, that should be enough for you to deal some serious damage. You can access this miracle by giving 10 souviners of reprisals to Gwyndolin once you are in his covenant.

I prefer the sunlight blade to darkmoon blade. It doesn't add quite as much damage, but it is still really powerful, you don't need to be in a covenant to use it, and you can get multiple castings in NG+ and beyond.

Currently juggling between my DEX Build (don't know if I want to go crystal magic weapon or sunlight blade with this), my SL1 run, and NG+ SL15. I really should stop playing this game for a while.

Ive had the dried finger this whole time and never used it :p

Thats awesome about the darkmoon blade. I actually have the sunlight spell now so I think I'll give that a try. Maybe I'll shoot for getting my Claymore to +15 and then adding that to it. Thanks!

Sullichin

Some cool stuff from that EpicNameBro design works video...

- There's apparently a way to beat the game without killing Ceasless Discharge, but it's difficult to find and looks like a bug...but the designer might be trolling.
- Ceasless Discharge is the brother to the daughters of chaos
- The black knights were originally supposed to wander around Lordran randomly. Sounds like the big daddies from Bioshock. This would have been really cool.
- Centipede Demon was at one point the boss at the top of the church.

Dresden

- There's apparently a way to beat the game without killing Ceasless Discharge, but it's difficult to find and looks like a bug...but the designer might be trolling.
- The black knights were originally supposed to wander around Lordran randomly. Sounds like the big daddies from Bioshock. This would have been really cool.

I remember when some dude got all huffy when I said this here.

joe2187

Banned
its pretty obvious, he only aggros on you when you steal the witch of Izaliths robes from the altar. And the connection between the witches in Quellags domain, and Quallana are all there.

Canova

Banned
I'm quite shocked at just how different my playstyle seems to be between Demon's Souls and this. I couldn't imagine making through my first run of Demon's Souls without magic, while my character in Dark Souls doesn't know any magic yet and I don't really miss it. In Demon's Souls, the shield for me was a cautionary defensive measure when walking around corners and a backup defensive measure incase I fucked up with my dodging. I never relied on it for most of my defense. In Dark Souls so far, I am often relying 100% on the shield.

What's up with that? When I first looked at Dark Souls I was like "Demon's Souls level pack, awesome!" but it's actually ending up fairly different. I actually used a spear for a while there. In Demon's Souls I tried one out for 20 seconds, went NOPE, and switched back to my scimitar.

yeah there are a few fighting styles you can go with. for example once you get bored with magic or shield, you can go shield-less, just rely on dodging and step backs

I haven't made it all the way through yet, but I'm loving Sen's Fortress, it's a brilliant design of heart-stoppingly tight walkways and evil traps.

I have made it to the
lightning spear
which makes taking out the snake guys so much easier.

Sullichin

Gaping Dragon SL1 beat (no shield, unupgraded elite set + gold hemmed gloves, reinf club + 5, pyromancy flame+8, fap ring). I was going to go naked but figured getting one shotted in such a long fight would be too frustrating. I actually somehow only landed 1 out of 4 of my chaos fireballs (on one of the largest targets in the entire game...) so it was a reallly long fight, beat him on my first try though. Beat capra too, even with chaos fireball I found it a tough fight without blocking. Took me a few tries.

krishian

That sounds like such an awesome idea, wonder why they changed it?

So I killed the gargoyles with help and now I don't know where to go. Following the path in the blacksmith area leads me to a big ass monster with no head, but I can't beat him seems like I can't do substantial damage so I don't know if it's too soon for me or should I lvlup more...o there's another way?

So I killed the gargoyles with help and now I don't know where to go. Following the path in the blacksmith area leads me to a big ass monster with no head, but I can't beat him seems like I can't do substantial damage so I don't know if it's too soon for me or should I lvlup more...o there's another way?

Pyromancy works well on it. Or just run past it.

Wowbagger

Just had my first co-op experience in the game! This is more fun than I could have ever imagined.

I did co-op with WOWbagger, we went through Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith.

Was fun. Let's do it again sometime!

Almost died at almost every boss :p Bed of Chaos managed to kill me, and I lost 700K souls trying to go back there after we killed her... by a fucking Titanite Demon :(

Sacrifice rings are your friend. :) Always put one on when going to retrieve your souls. My NG+7 char hasn't lost anything since NG.

MechaX

Curse the drop rates! I get a Black Knight Greatsword and a Black Knight Shield (which is actually pretty disproportionately awesome given how much it weighs) on my first two Black Knight encounters. Of course, this is on my new Dex character where I can't actually make good use of the sword.. For my strength character, I'm still rocking shitty shields and the Zwei (which has a shitty move set outside of stunlocking for PvE).

Ah, oh well. At least my Dex character gets an insanely good shield right off the bat.

hao chi

You should be able to kill him if you have the Drake Sword.

Or as already said, just run past him and come back later.

I just realized I still have
-Soul of Priscilla
-Soul of Ornstein
-Iron Golem
-Soul of Quelaag
-Soul of Moonlight Butterfly

I was looking at the weapons they craft and none really seem worth it. Should I use any of them for that or feed them to Fraampt?

I just realized I still have
-Soul of Priscilla
-Soul of Ornstein
-Iron Golem
-Soul of Quelaag
-Soul of Moonlight Butterfly

I was looking at the weapons they craft and none really seem worth it. Should I use any of them for that or feed them to Fraampt?

The only notable weapons from those souls are Quelaag's Furysword and the Dragonslayer Spear I think. I would make weapons from all of the boss souls though if you want to the achievement.

joe2187

Banned
My fav PVP armor, just for looks alone. I've had so many countless victories wearing this set.

Sometimes I take off the vest so my character runs around like a sexy ninja.

ShadowArmorSetFull.png

Sullichin

Sweet Ill do that thanks.

Also from Quelaags soul, you can make the chaos blade. I like it more than the Furysword. It does all physical damage, it is fast, and has great bleed build up. But, you lose 20hp per hit (except for ripostes/backstabs). I like it for pvp. Most bosses have 2 weapons you can make from them.. Sif has 3.

krakov

Curse the drop rates! I get a Black Knight Greatsword and a Black Knight Shield (which is actually pretty disproportionately awesome given how much it weighs) on my first two Black Knight encounters. Of course, this is on my new Dex character where I can't actually make good use of the sword.. For my strength character, I'm still rocking shitty shields and the Zwei (which has a shitty move set outside of stunlocking for PvE).

Ah, oh well. At least my Dex character gets an insanely good shield right off the bat.

I guess you haven't used the Black Knight swords? they both have pretty damn awful move sets while the Zwei has an exceptional move set.

The mini-boss under the blacksmith is quite easy upclose, and the bonfire is near, so it's worth a go. But you can run past him easily and the next area, Darkroot Garden, shouldn't be too difficult to explore a little.

After killing the gargoyles and ringing the bell you will now have a key that opens up more of Undead Burg, and that is the most logical way to go next. You have already past the door a while back. Spoilered if you don't want to look for it yourself:
start of the bridge, the opposite end to the dragon

Iron Golem was a piece of piss!
with the help of the NPC summon!

I don't like how far away I feel from Firelink Shrine, so far it's only been a short journey away, but arriving at Anor Londo adds another layer of anxiety to proceedings.

I am really appreciating the holistic world of Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls. Standing on a rampart somewhere and looking at other areas of the game is amazing. You had this in Demon's too, but only in the same world, here you can say "Oh, that's the bell tour at Undead Parish", or "that's the bridge to Undead Burg", "that's Darkroot Basin". It's really well constructed, and such beautiful vistas. :)

2AdEPT

The mini-boss under the blacksmith is quite easy upclose, and the bonfire is near, so it's worth a go. But you can run past him easily and the next area, Darkroot Garden, shouldn't be too difficult to explore a little.

After killing the gargoyles and ringing the bell you will now have a key that opens up more of Undead Burg, and that is the most logical way to go next. You have already past the door a while back. Spoilered if you don't want to look for it yourself:
start of the bridge, the opposite end to the dragon

to me its waaay more logical to figure out whythe developers gave you a master key and go directly to blighttown....much more fun, grants better equipment, etc. I thought you tried that ? No like?

2AdEPT

Iron Golem was a piece of piss!
with the help of the NPC summon!

I don't like how far away I feel from Firelink Shrine, so far it's only been a short journey away, but arriving at Anor Londo adds another layer of anxiety to proceedings.

I am really appreciating the holistic world of Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls. Standing on a rampart somewhere and looking at other areas of the game is amazing. You had this in Demon's too, but only in the same world, here you can say "Oh, that's the bell tour at Undead Parish", or "that's the bridge to Undead Burg", "that's Darkroot Basin". It's really well constructed, and such beautiful vistas. :)

your feelings are correct......but leave it it up to FROM to come to your aid....B/C after Anor Londo distances are a thing of the past.

balddemon

Banned
anyone wanna help me beat hte bell gargoyles? they are too tough for me, and i don't have any humanity to summon anyone T_T

edit: wait nvm then if i don't have humanity, no one can help me lol

to me its waaay more logical to figure out whythe developers gave you a master key and go directly to blighttown....much more fun, grants better equipment, etc. I thought you tried that ? No like?
You know I did go that way first thing, I remember very early on entering Valley of Drakes, getting one hitted by the dragon, then coming back and being scared off by the trolls - but once I'd done the Depths, I decided to go back that way and enter Blighttown first of all from that direction, which is a lot easier I think that entering from the Depths.

But I think I'd still do Lower Undead Burg and the Depths first since Blighttown is pretty intimidating first of all because it brings back so many horrible memories of 5-2 in Demon's, but in fact it's nowhere near as bad as that, and once you have the ring that lets you move faster in swampy areas, it's even easier. The swamp at the bottom was the easy part I think. Maybe now I know what's in store I'd visit Blighttown earlier to grab some equipment then hoof it back out again.

Mike M

Nick N
Ventured into the Tomb of Giants today, sporting my Sunlight Maggit headgear, one shotting giant skeletons with my Zweihander +14, feeling like a boss.

Went past Patches and encountered skeledogs for the first time D :

Eventually triumphed though... Kind of a dick move that you have to take damage from the fall to fight Nito, kinda surprised it didn't even give the option of joining the Gravelords when you walk in the front door like that.

Went to the Duke's Archives after that, kinda shocking that my damage output has attenuated so sharply. Doing <200 damage with the Zweihander, which I think is my strongest weapon. Yikes. May be time to start upping stats again.

Mike M

Nick N
anyone wanna help me beat hte bell gargoyles? they are too tough for me, and i don't have any humanity to summon anyone T_T

edit: wait nvm then if i don't have humanity, no one can help me lol

Just kill enemies. As long as the boss isn't dead in an area, you'll gain active humanity every certain number of kills.

Soulhouf

Zweihander is meant to be used with 2 hands. It's very powerful and it's move set is very good that way (big range + almost 360 degree swing + fast for what it is).
I never used it before but I made a chaos one for my last character (16 str) and I won all my forest invasions yesterday. Even in my NG+3 SL30 character, 4 Kings are a joke with that weapon.

balddemon: go help people beat that boss and you'll get humanity. Besides it's a good practice since you don't loose anything even if you die.

Sullichin:so it's confirmed that the daughters of chaos have 2 brothers now. Oh and that black knights idea sounds awesome. That's another reason to have another patch which add that feature. Please FROM.

Sullichin

Went to the Duke's Archives after that, kinda shocking that my damage output has attenuated so sharply. Doing <200 damage with the Zweihander, which I think is my strongest weapon. Yikes. May be time to start upping stats again.
Dukes is a pretty big difficulty jump.. the enemies do a ton of damage and they are placed deviously. Zwei doesn't scale too wonderfully with stats, you might be better off bringing it back down to +10 or +5 and then making it lightning or fire/chaos respectively, unless you are buffing that +14.

Sullichin:so it's confirmed that the daughters of chaos have 2 brothers now. Oh and that black knights idea sounds awesome. That's another reason to have another patch which add that feature. Please FROM.
yeah that's one fucked up family.

Just beat Sif SL1 melee only + no shield. First time that boss ever really gave me trouble. Intense fight. I apologize for documenting my SL1 run in this OT lol. Every boss fight is just so damn satisfying when you set a challenge for yourself. I think I'm addicted to the feeling of my heart racing from an intense boss or pvp fight. this game just has insane replay value. Oh! and I saw a vagrant in Sens. It was behind a balder knight.

Sullichin

Wait, 2? I thought it was just Ceaseless Discharge.

Yeah you're right. The daughters of izalith gave the orange charred ring to ceaseless to cool his lava herpes, but he dropped it, creating the centipede demon in that spot. According to the item description:

An orange ring enchanted by a witch. Reduces lava damage. Since his sores were
inflamed by lava from birth, his witch sisters gave him this special ring. But fool that
he is, he readily dropped it, and from that spot, a terrible centipede demon was born

Canova

Banned
^That is awesome.

Anyone having trouble connecting to the Dark Soul server? Keeps telling me to play offline.

not me, been playing online all nite long

Dark Souls has no dedicated server, only PSN and Live, then all virtual servers and peer to peer after that

Yeah, I like the new build he posted (power within + crystal magic weapon + balder side sword + lingering dragoncrest). definitely want to make a build with buffed balder side sword after watching this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bBKtlY1LH4&list=UUI6keWArpxmfeiuAATv7jZw&index=1&feature=plcp

fuuu. i never realised upgrading your pyro glove increases the amount of HP pw takes away, but not the damage output. Been using it on my SL12 guy with a (currently) +12 glove. looks like i'll have to try scrounge up another one off
eingyi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom