• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
Do you trust frampt? thats depends on you. Eventually you will give him the lordvessel, WHEN is ultimately up to you.

Wait till after you beat the four kings, the rest you'll find out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like ornsteins armor and gold hemmed black hood.
Yes. Can ninja flip in it.

How do you obtain Ornsteins armor? Is it better than Havels? Probably not right.. :p
Yes, but not for defense. You kill Ornstein second.

Do you trust frampt? thats depends on you. Eventually you will give him the lordvessel, WHEN is ultimately up to you.

Wait till after you beat the four kings, the rest you'll find out.
Uh, you will?

I didn't.

Daigoro

Just beat Sif SL1 melee only + no shield. First time that boss ever really gave me trouble. Intense fight. I apologize for documenting my SL1 run in this OT lol. Every boss fight is just so damn satisfying when you set a challenge for yourself. I think I'm addicted to the feeling of my heart racing from an intense boss or pvp fight. this game just has insane replay value. Oh! and I saw a vagrant in Sens. It was behind a balder knight.

whats a vagrant?

Mxrz

I thought they spawned when you dropped a lot of items?

So many cool ideas they ended up scrapping going by EpicNameBro's video on the artbook. I wonder if it'll ever be possible to have something chase or talk the player through the game world like they mentioned.

I thought they spawned when you dropped a lot of items?

So many cool ideas they ended up scrapping going by EpicNameBro's video on the artbook. I wonder if it'll ever be possible to have something chase or talk the player through the game world like they mentioned.

Yeah, there is alot of crazy stuff in that artbook. At 10:19, looks like its concept art for Abysswalker Artorias.

Soulhouf

Yeah you're right. The daughters of izalith gave the orange charred ring to ceaseless to cool his lava herpes, but he dropped it, creating the centipede demon in that spot. According to the item description:

Wait, I thought Centipede was the guy the description mentioned and who transformed after dropping the ring.

2AdEPT

Uh, you will? [/spoiler]

I didn't.

I think he means at the end of the game when
both frampt and kaathe are sitting together at the table
at that point there isn't much difference who you gave it to earlier......but of course during the game the obvious choice is (spoiler.)

Ratrat

Thanks for the replies. Place is really kicking my ass. Finally got to the two archers I keep hearing about. Also I want a sex change.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
getting the blue eye orb to work is a bitch, I don't want to farm harpies for reprisals.

Okay, finally put sometime into the game(Restarted once because I chose the Master Key for my Thief when I didn't need to, lol)3hrs later, this is what I think of the game. Challenging, but not frustrating. Is very easy to do a wrong turn in this game(I learned that the hardway in Fireway
went down, instead of up, lol. Didn't listen carefully to the dude you meet there. I did beat those three fat bastards.....It only took me 30mins. Because they don't follow you all the way outside, and you could stand by the invincible line and attack them
)Lesson learned. If the enemy takes more then half your health in one swipe, I don't belong in that Area. Anyway, looking forward to sometime into the game today.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just started getting into this game. really brilliant stuff, surprised it took me so long to dive in.

got a level 26 pyromancer
astora's straight sword
pumped up my default armor to +2
estus flask +1

and i'm doing alright. got to the two bell gargoyles and they really fucked me up the one time i played em. gonna take another crack at em later today.

Mike M

Nick N
Dukes is a pretty big difficulty jump.. the enemies do a ton of damage and they are placed deviously. Zwei doesn't scale too wonderfully with stats, you might be better off bringing it back down to +10 or +5 and then making it lightning or fire/chaos respectively, unless you are buffing that +14.
I've already got a lightning Claymore +5, so I definitely don't need another lightning greatsword. Maybe I'll bust that out and see how it does.

Incidentally, I looooove how when you hit your weapon on a wall in the archives, the resulting "thunk" echoes a couple times. Nice attention to detail there!

The mini-boss under the blacksmith is quite easy upclose, and the bonfire is near, so it's worth a go. But you can run past him easily and the next area, Darkroot Garden, shouldn't be too difficult to explore a little.

After killing the gargoyles and ringing the bell you will now have a key that opens up more of Undead Burg, and that is the most logical way to go next. You have already past the door a while back. Spoilered if you don't want to look for it yourself:
start of the bridge, the opposite end to the dragon

I tried the mini-boss and I can hold for several minutes, but the damge I do is really minimal, I have a Black Knight Sword but is a no go since I'm going for a DEX build.

Anyway, I totally didn't notice I had a new key, lol, I got an idea where I have to go to open the new way and about to fight a new boss. But later, lol.

Been 6 months since i've played dark souls, I'm itching to get back into it.

Before I went clean, I tried to make a pure sorc (no fire) and I had the hardest fucking time ever. It's extra hard to be a sorc...and I got stuck on the capra demon before I went dry.

I think that I may try being a sorc again.

My fighter seemed to be great for pve.
Great Shield of Artorias
Max Lightning Washing Pole
Max Pyro Gloves (with those 3, nothing else matters for pve).
Max Sunman set, Ninja Ring, whatever other ring I want.

Any other meele oriented builds that would be fun to do? I want to be so different that I can't easy revert back to this overly effective build the first run through.

MMaRsu

getting the blue eye orb to work is a bitch, I don't want to farm harpies for reprisals.

Lol I have pretty much only invaded using the blue stone. Are you on Ps3? Can I trade reprisals? I don't think I need any more man..

I just want to get the red invasion orb so badly :(. Not looking forward to Four Kings on NG+... Screwed Kaathe up in my first game by seeing Frampt first fml.

rififi

I have to say that I am finding it really difficult to play any other melee game. This game was incredible. Even after going through the same enemies over and over again, it was never repetitive. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

However, am I the only one thinking the game was a little too easy (at least relative to the beginning) towards the end on your first playthrough (assuming you upgraded your equipment): tomb of the giants, lost izalith, first flame, even the Duke's Archives wasn't that bad.

And apparently I got the "bad" ending by accident:
I forgot to light the last bonfire, so I just walked out and became the Dark Lord, kind of like that ending better than burning alive - plus, am I wrong to think Kaathe is the "good" one and "Frampt" is the manipulator/"bad" one?

joelseph

Got through Moon Moth thing and Gaping Dragon this weekend. Entered Blightown through The Depths. I bought the ring to reduce poison buildup. Was that a waste of souls? Is there anything that protects against toxin or should I just farm the trees in Darkroot Garden for moss?

Sullichin

I've already got a lightning Claymore +5, so I definitely don't need another lightning greatsword. Maybe I'll bust that out and see how it does.

Incidentally, I looooove how when you hit your weapon on a wall in the archives, the resulting "thunk" echoes a couple times. Nice attention to detail there!

Yeah then keep your Zwei at +14... if you have the INT, you can also buy crystal magic weapon in the archives, a really powerful buff.

I have to say that I am finding it really difficult to play any other melee game. This game was incredible. Even after going through the same enemies over and over again, it was never repetitive. I have no idea how they pulled it off.

However, am I the only one thinking the game was a little too easy (at least relative to the beginning) towards the end on your first playthrough (assuming you upgraded your equipment): tomb of the giants, lost izalith, first flame, even the Duke's Archives wasn't that bad.

And apparently I got the "bad" ending by accident:
I forgot to light the last bonfire, so I just walked out and became the Dark Lord, kind of like that ending better than burning alive - plus, am I wrong to think Kaathe is the "good" one and "Frampt" is the manipulator/"bad" one?

I'd consider that the "good" ending. I definitely like it more than the other, but both are too short. And I agree with your statement.

Got through Moon Moth thing and Gaping Dragon this weekend. Entered Blightown through The Depths. I bought the ring to reduce poison buildup. Was that a waste of souls? Is there anything that protects against toxin or should I just farm the trees in Darkroot Garden for moss?

That ring wasn't a waste of souls, should help you on your first trip there if you don't have good poison resistance. The spider shield from the depths is great against blocking those toxic darts. But yeah you'll still want the mosses, the female merchant in the aqueduct before undead burg sells them if you don't feel like farming trees.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there a good alternative to the Giant armor set? Yeah, it's easily upgraded and has the highest physical defense in the game, but it looks like shit...

InFamy

Neo Member
Man I got wrecked in the Depths yestersay. Killed Kirk with no problem, feeling pretty good about my self. All of a sudden I get invaded by another a player. I'm thinking I can await by that waterfall close to the entrance of Blighttown. All of sudden backstab out of nowhere. It shocked me so much I couldn't even be mad.

On a side note, after restarting so many times I'm really loving my DEX/INT build. It just feels so right.

joelseph

Man I got wrecked in the Depths yestersay. Killed Kirk with no problem, feeling pretty good about my self. All of a sudden I get invaded by another a player. I'm thinking I can await by that waterfall close to the entrance of Blighttown. All of sudden backstab out of nowhere. It shocked me so much I couldn't even be mad.

On a side note, after restarting so many times I'm really loving my DEX/INT build. It just feels so right.

I got invaded in the Depths this weekend but luckily had a phantom summoned to help! We wrecked that dude and I got some humanity, feels good man. Ended up doing the entire depths through the dragon with that guy. Much love to who ever you were! I too have settled on a DEX/INT build. Rocking 60 soul arrows 20 great soul arrows and a balder side sword +4.

Once I get the sword to +5 do I then want to ascend into magic for the INT modifier? Where do I find that ember?

Booshka

Is there a good alternative to the Giant armor set? Yeah, it's easily upgraded and has the highest physical defense in the game, but it looks like shit...

Black Iron, Iron Golem, Smough's (ugly as well) or a mix of Havel's and Medium armor or light armor.

Dresden

I got invaded in the Depths this weekend but luckily had a phantom summoned to help! We wrecked that dude and I got some humanity, feels good man. Ended up doing the entire depths through the dragon with that guy. Much love to who ever you were! I too have settled on a DEX/INT build. Rocking 60 soul arrows 20 great soul arrows and a balder side sword +4.

Once I get the sword to +5 do I then want to ascend into magic for the INT modifier? Where do I find that ember?

There is no magic ember, Rickard (or whatever his name was) already comes with it. You'll find enchanted/magic+10 embers later on.

Dresden

Nice! Which direction should I head to find this Rickard fellow?

He's at the beginning of the New Londo ruins, on the staircase set into the edge of the cliff.

For the other two embers, if you want, you can find one in
Darkroot Gardens, in the area with the mushroom people before the door leading to the boss.
The other one can be found in
the Duke's Archives.

Sullichin

Taking your weapon to magic/enchanted is usually a waste. The INT modifer sucks. You are better off using the dex scaling of your balder side sword, upgrading it along the normal path, and then buffing it with magic weapon, then great magic weapon, then crystal magic weapon.

So I finished my first playthrough... took me 50 hours but I pretty much killed everything, collected everything I could (missing some random armor, couple of covenant items (the second gravelord dance) and missed the first Kirk encounter because I didn't know that), upgraded all my weapons I will need for the boss weapons) etc. Killing all the NPC's felt bad man :( At least my bro Solaire was in the final battle with me.

Now I'll just grind to all the bosses to get all the boss souls and buy the last spells and miracles (?) to get the last 3 throphies I am missing :)

Booshka

So I finished my first playthrough... took me 50 hours but I pretty much killed everything, collected everything I could (missing some random armor, couple of covenant items (the second gravelord dance) and missed the first Kirk encounter because I didn't know that), upgraded all my weapons I will need for the boss weapons) etc. Killing all the NPC's felt bad man :( At least my bro Solaire was in the final battle with me.

Now I'll just grind to all the bosses to get all the boss souls and buy the last spells and miracles (?) to get the last 3 throphies I am missing :)

If you still need Pyromancy spells, for one of them you need to
get an egg on your head to talk to eingyi, he will sell you Toxic Cloud only when you have an egg on your head

rififi

There is a minor detail in regards to Gwynevere and her family that has always bothered me:
Gwynn, Gwyndolin, and Solaire are all the same size as the PC, so why is Gwynevere so big?

Dresden

There is a minor detail in regards to Gwynevere and her family that has always bothered me:
Gwynn, Gwyndolin, and Solaire are all the same size as the PC, so why is Gwynevere so big?

She's an illusion.

Probably wanted it bigger-than-life because of that, as the representation of
a goddess.

If you still need Pyromancy spells, for one of them you need to
get an egg on your head to talk to eingyi, he will sell you Toxic Cloud only when you have an egg on your head

I got all the pyromancies but totally forgot to
kill Eingui and Quelaag's Sister
. Oh well, I'll have Estus +7 in about 15 minutes anyway.

I am mostly worried about running with all my precious humanities, I am sure I will lose them all for doing something stuuuupid.

And I vastly preferred the Dark Lord ending, it was pretty bad as compared to the other one!

edit: I wonder what Sorceries I am missing or if I got the trophy but didn't notice it o_0 Have to fire up the game to check soon.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm considering getting this game. Did consider last Fall but had too many other games to play... now, nothing, so...
Since i play on 360, are there any issues i should be aware of? Bugs or something?

rififi

She's an illusion.

Probably wanted it bigger-than-life because of that, as the representation of
a goddess.

That's what I thought as well, but, based on some assumptions, what about
Priscilla in the Painted World, isn't she the daughter of Gwynevere and Seath? which would mean Gwynevere would have to be of similar size to Seath to begin with

I'm probably overthinking this, it is just a bit of an annoyance for me.

No they aren't.
Gwyndolin's 7-8 feet tall (and even taller when he stands up straight on his... snakes)
and the player character comes up to about mid-chest
on Gwyn.

From what I guess, the Gods and demigods are variable in size. Smough and Gwynevere are giant-size, Ornstein, Gwyn, Gwyndolin, and the Witch of Izalith (judging from the prologue) are 1 1/2 to twice as tall as humans, and the Daughters of Chaos are human-size. There are also the Four Kings and possibly Artorias, who may be even taller that Gwynevere depending on how you extrapolate from his sword that Sif uses, but we don't actually know how big they were in life. It's also possible that they can change their height- we know Ornstein at least can do so- or that the Gods genetics just work differently and height is semi-random and doesn't really mean anything.

Plus, we know absolutely nothing about Gwynevere's mother; it's possible she was a giant. Or, seeing as Anor Londo is basically an Olympus expy anyway, she may have just sprung forth from her father's forehead and doesn't have a mother.

Priscilla's
parentage is completely fanon; there's no statement who her parents are, beyond "dragon" and
"some hominoid."
However, it's not unreasoable to assume that
she is Seath's daughter, likey as a failed experiment. I very much doubt that she is Gwynevere's daughter, though. It just doesn't jive with me. Especially since Gwynevere's married and all.

Booshka

I'm considering getting this game. Did consider last Fall but had too many other games to play... now, nothing, so...
Since i play on 360, are there any issues i should be aware of? Bugs or something?

The biggest problem with the 360 compared to PS3, outside of activity, is modded characters. You can mod a save file on USB stick on 360, so people are writing in insane stats and numbers. Players can make Twink characters on both consoles, but on 360 you will run in to full on modded characters, fighting people with 10K HP or more, infinite stamina and equip load, etc. It's not common, but it's there. Otherwise, it's fine and plenty active.

joelseph

I want to give a shout to whoever suggested using Aural Noise/Aural Decoy for the Capra demon fight. Turned a crap-shoot fight into a very controllable fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom