• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

casabolg

Banned
Hey guys when it comes to weight/equip load does the slowdown effect it has on you work as a percentage of your overall total or is it at a fixed rate, like higher than 25.0 and you slow down?

I want to equip some better armor but even though I've probably boosted my max equip by about 5-7 pounds through boosting endurance whenever I seem to go over 26 or 27 I slow down a bit and when I roll it's like Fat Albert trying to roll and it sounds like a boulder hitting the ground. Obviously I don't want that when I'm fighting some massive dude so if I just need to boost my max equip more to solve that then great. I'm sitting at 29.8/58.0 right now after putting on new legs that gave me about ~3 pounds more.

Percentage. 25%, 50%, 100%
Time to dress light or go heavy.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh man what I have now is considered a normal roll? It seems so slow lol.

Ah well I guess I'll deal since I need the defense boost. Thanks for that though, it'll be helpful.

Sullichin

Oh man what I have now is considered a normal roll? It seems so slow lol.

Ah well I guess I'll deal since I need the defense boost. Thanks for that though, it'll be helpful.

Nope, you have fat roll. 29.8/58.0 is a little over 50% equip.

dark wood grain ring kind of breaks everything and makes going under 25% pretty useless if you have it. I do prefer the fast roll animation over the flips though. Cartwheeling with a great club looks silly.

Derrick01

Banned
Nope, you have fat roll. 29.8/58.0 is a little over 50% equip.

Oh ok so it is percentage based on your character, got it. I misunderstood before that's my fault, guess I'll be spending the 40k I have after beating that gaping dragon thing on more endurance.

One more question for now. My chatty friend spoiled to me that I could summon a NPC before the boss in darkroot garden. He said it was under the staircase but there's nothing here. I looked it up on some wiki (I'm trying very hard to not spoil too much for myself) and I'm apparently in the right place and there's no extra conditions like rescuing her but there's no summon sign here.

Sullichin

Oh ok so it is percentage based on your character, got it. I misunderstood before that's my fault, guess I'll be spending the 40k I have after beating that gaping dragon thing on more endurance.

One more question for now. My chatty friend spoiled to me that I could summon a NPC before the boss in darkroot garden. He said it was under the staircase but there's nothing here. I looked it up on some wiki (I'm trying very hard to not spoil too much for myself) and I'm apparently in the right place and there's no extra conditions like rescuing her but there's no summon sign here.

You have to be in human form to see summon signs, whether they be NPCs or other online players. Her sign is also hidden behind a bush or some barrels or something under that staircase, so break what you can.

Derrick01

Banned
You have to be in human form to see summon signs, whether they be NPCs or other online players. Her sign is also hidden behind a bush or some barrels or something under that staircase, so break what you can.

Ah that would explain it. Not sure how I feel about that since I don't want to get invaded but I guess I'll take my chances. Thanks.

Just started the game - so far so good. I played for about one hour before my first death (I fell off a damn ledge because there was a troll message near a ledge in Undead Burg where it said "secret passage/ledge below").

Anyway, leveled up VIT and END once each when I got the chance. I'm thinking of just going sword and shield all the way. Going to play more later and see how I fare. I'm still going to read messages, but I will not jump off any more ledges.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah it seems like a lot of the messages I see are troll messages now. The first time I played the game back in December I fell for one but now I don't even really pay much attention to messages that are near a ledge. I've seen about 15 in the last 4 hours (game time not real time) that said something like "jump" or "treasure down here" but you pan the camera around and there's nothing.

I have rang both bells in my LVL1 game. Gonna beat Sif, then Capra Demon, then get the Large Ember and then go to Sen's. Everything is going smoothly. Kinda worried that my Battle Axe+5 is doing pretty abysmal damage until I get to the Giant and/or get the Lightning Spear from Sen's.

Sullichin

I have rang both bells in my LVL1 game. Gonna beat Sif, then Capra Demon, then get the Large Ember and then go to Sen's. Everything is going smoothly. Kinda worried that my Battle Axe+5 is doing pretty abysmal damage until I get to the Giant and/or get the Lightning Spear from Sen's.

You won't have the dexterity to use the lightning spear ;)

I suggest making a fire battle axe (chaos if you have the ember). reinforced club can also be used at level 1. I've got fire/lightning of both of those on my level 1. stuck at 4 kings, haven't played that character in a while.

You won't have the dexterity to use the lightning spear ;)

I suggest making a fire battle axe (chaos if you have the ember). reinforced club can also be used at level 1. I've got fire/lightning of both of those on my level 1. stuck at 4 kings, haven't played that character in a while.

Well dang. I saw a video of a guy beating the shit out of 4Kings with Reinforced Lightning Club+5 as level 1 and I have one with me so I guess I'll go with that route... don't want to go to Catacombs yet, it's pain in the ass on any level :)

Thanks for the tips!

Booshka

Cheers. If I fail and get killed, do I lose anything? Souls etc?

Nothing, you don't even have to picky up your bloodstain, there is zero risk, only reward. You can invade via the ring too, you just have to be in a place where invasions/co op is possible when you have the ring on.

Mxrz

Most of the time you can see if a drop has a ledge or item nearby if you angle the camera around. There's a couple blind drops in the catacombs and tomb of giants. If you see a bad message you can plop down a 'liar' msg too.

Lots of co-oping at Seath. But even with 50INT my spells don't seem to hurt much. My faith gal's lighting bolts seem to hurt him more. I"m thinking of going back to the catacombs (and Nito) to make a fire weapon. But then that would defeat the point of making a mage if I'm just going to elemental/melee stuff.

casabolg

Banned
It's really hard to describe it since there are a bunch of stairs at the Undead Burg, but it was right after I used a Master Key to get some Gold Pine Resin (3x) from a chest.

The big set of stairs? There is a break in the railing that, if you move slowly, you can land on to save you from the rolling barrel that falls but it's still difficult.

Booshka

Most of the time you can see if a drop has a ledge or item nearby if you angle the camera around. There's a couple blind drops in the catacombs and tomb of giants. If you see a bad message you can plop down a 'liar' msg too.

Lots of co-oping at Seath. But even with 50INT my spells don't seem to hurt much. My faith gal's lighting bolts seem to hurt him more. I"m thinking of going back to the catacombs (and Nito) to make a fire weapon. But then that would defeat the point of making a mage if I'm just going to elemental/melee stuff.

All the enemies in Duke's are highly resistant to Sorcery, Intelligence spells dominate everywhere else.

zewone

Just got the game last night and I'm loving it. I'm still getting a hang of the mechanics, but I see me putting a lot of hours into this game. I went the wrong way apparently and ran into some ghosts. Figured out how to attack them and one of them dropped a ghost blade, which was a huge improvement over the starting blade for a thief.

I really like in these types of games to get weapons and items I shouldn't have early so at that point is when the game really hooked me.

The big set of stairs? There is a break in the railing that, if you move slowly, you can land on to save you from the rolling barrel that falls but it's still difficult.

Most likely it's the dead end in opposite direction of the Silver Knight down there that you are supposed to run and get killed after you aggro the Knight and randomly run backwards heh.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Well dang. I saw a video of a guy beating the shit out of 4Kings with Reinforced Lightning Club+5 as level 1 and I have one with me so I guess I'll go with that route... don't want to go to Catacombs yet, it's pain in the ass on any level :)

Thanks for the tips!

Do them enough and the Catacombs become second nature. I started making a run down there with the Chaos ember for basically every character pre-Sen's and at this point it takes between five and ten minutes from the entrance to Vamos. The nice thing about an early Catacombs run for a Chaos weapon is that practically everything you do in that initial descent makes it easier when you come through again later in the game. Necromancers stay dead, bridges stay flipped, and if you get the lantern off one of the Necros you can trade it for a Fog Ring to make blitzing areas trivial.

Grab that bull by the horns. Level one Catacombs runs build character.

Derrick01

Banned
Just got the game last night and I'm loving it. I'm still getting a hang of the mechanics, but I see me putting a lot of hours into this game. I went the wrong way apparently and ran into some ghosts. Figured out how to attack them and one of them dropped a ghost blade, which was a huge improvement over the starting blade for a thief.

I really like in these types of games to get weapons and items I shouldn't have early so at that point is when the game really hooked me.

Yeah I found a pretty nice and rare sword just screwing around on my own really early in the game. I won't spoil what it is but its attack is around 200 which is just crazy for a starting character.

Hell 8-9 hours in and I'm still using it and it's still better than everything I'm finding. I managed to upgrade it to +1 for an extra 20 attack.

Booshka

Yeah I found a pretty nice and rare sword just screwing around on my own really early in the game. I won't spoil what it is but its attack is around 200 which is just crazy for a starting character.

Hell 8-9 hours in and I'm still using it and it's still better than everything I'm finding. I managed to upgrade it to +1 for an extra 20 attack.

Stop upgrading that weapon and work on upgrading another weapon soon, any other weapon upgraded well will do more damage.

I am trying out a deprived character, it's lots of fun - but I got ganked when I invaded, some guy had two sun bros and they all had top level gear. I'm not really complaining, since I invaded, but I admit I don't really get it - are they just hanging around undead burg trying to what?.... Farm sun medals and humanity? Or just for the sheer all-out smashing of low level characters one after another?

Any way, I am having way more fun with co-op, a lot of the time in Undead Burg, once the Taurus Demon is dead, you can run up to the bridge and lay your sign down again for the same person to summon you again for the rest of the level. Neat.

Derrick01

Banned
Stop upgrading that weapon and work on upgrading another weapon soon, any other weapon upgraded well will do more damage.

Does it matter what kind of weapon I pick? I tend to like 1H swords/longswords because of the standard but kind of quick slashing motion. But I don't want to waste the materials on something like a basic longsword if I can spend them on something a little fancier.

I upgraded this one axe I got and even ascended it (correct term?) and it still does like 8 less attack than my rare weapon I talked about.

Booshka

Does it matter what kind of weapon I pick? I tend to like 1H swords/longswords because of the standard but kind of quick slashing motion. But I don't want to waste the materials on something like a basic longsword if I can spend them on something a little fancier.

I upgraded this one axe I got and even ascended it (correct term?) and it still does like 8 less attack than my rare weapon I talked about.

Pick up the Claymore on the Bridge with the Hellkite Dragon on it and upgrade it to +10, it will do much more damage than your current weapon. It also has a much better moveset and range.

one85x

If you like the straight sword moveset, you should think about farming a Balder Side Sword from the knights in the church. It scales with dexterity and is one of the more versatile weapons in the game.

soultron

Banned
Had quite the adventure lately. Finally saw some summon signs show up, so I took 2 phantoms with me to fight S&O. The fight was easy with 3 people, just like when I got summoned to help someone with it.

Black Eye Orb/Anor Londo spoilers:
Also dismantled Lautrec and his crew. Picked them apart one by one, starting with the polearm dude, then the sorcerer, and finally, Lautrec himself. They were really easy, so I'm starting to think I might be slightly over-levelled. (~Lv65)

Back at Firelink now. Feels good. I don't know where I'll tackle next, but I'm thinking of doing the boss I left in the forest. I joined the Princess' Guard covenant, so does this mean that the Forest Guard guys are going to attack when I return there to fight the boss?

Secondly, what are advantages to being in covenants? I've been in so many and really noticed no benefits or drawbacks yet.

I have Valley of Drakes, the lava lake you get to after you beat Quelaag, and Catacombs to go to now, IIRC.

Astra

Wow, those baby skeletons are amazing for farming souls and humanty. Wearing the Symbol of Avarice and the Silver Serpent Ring, I was getting 20,000 souls every 5 minutes. Also wore the Ring of the Evil Eye (or whatever it's called) so I didn't have to use my estus flask once in the half hour I was farming. At the end of it, I ended up gaining 117,000 souls, and 56 humanity (Actually more humanity, I counted around 15 I couldn't pick up in time).

Just got some random message on the bottom of the screen saying something like disasters are gone after the defeat of gravelord ____ (forget the rest).

W..what just happened? lol

I saw that, too and thought "what the fuck?". Turns out someone laid a curse on my world. If you find the curse sign, you can invade their world, kill them, and lift the curse. Or it goes away when the one who cursed you signs out.

Derrick01

Banned
Just got some random message on the bottom of the screen saying something like disasters are gone after the defeat of gravelord ____ (forget the rest).

Mxrz

You were tagged by a Gravelord, and either someone or something killed him, or he left. -- Trouble is it seems either buggy or just doesn't plain work most of the time. I've seen the message a lot, but I've never seen the DP enemies its suppose to create.

You can beat the game with any weapon. Some movesets are just more forgiving than others. If you really want to plow through the game then you'll want to make either a Lightning or Fire weapon. - Upgrading the Drakesword won't putz up your game or anything, but even upgraded it'll still be a bit weak. - The only upgrades you want to give a lot of consideration to are the ones that require slabs (final upgrade for standard weapons/armor.) Those can't be farmed so easily if you regret your choice.

Derrick01

Banned
So that gravelord thingy just puts tougher enemies in somewhere? I'm farming that sword near the church and I don't notice anything out of the ordinary yet.

Secondly, what are advantages to being in covenants? I've been in so many and really noticed no benefits or drawbacks yet.

The good ones imo

Sunbros - for coop. Increases the level range of players that will see your summon sign.

Darkwraithbros - Good for invading as giving 10 humanity to the covenant leader gives you an infinite invasion item. You'll generally invade up the level curve so be ready.

Darkmoonbros - Infinite invasion item for joining also makes them good for invading. Invasions are trickier since you can only invade guilty players (NPC killers/indicted players) but you invade lower level players in general. Also allows you to use one of the best weapon buffs in the game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
On my very first playthrough, I accidentally aggrod the silver knight and ran away like a pansy. Managed to fall into that tiny space you described, while he fell to his death. I felt like such a champion!

AEGISX

Banned

Yeah I saw that message while I was farming stones at new londo. An odd looking enemy crab shooting lasers appeared. I never seen it anywhere in the game. It t was very easy to kill, and it dropped a twin humanity

AEGISX

Banned
The silver and black knight weapons are really strong if you can get you hands on one. They have very high base damage, though scaling aren't too high. The best one is silver knight sword which does 400 (275 base damage at +5) physical damage at 40 dex. You can enchant it with spells or items to increase damage even further.

Zertez

Yeah I saw that message while I was farming stones at new londo. An odd looking enemy crab shooting lasers appeared. I never seen it anywhere in the game. It t was very easy to kill, and it dropped a twin humanity
That sounds like a drift item mob, not a gravelord curse phantom. As far as I know, gravelord curses are just black phantoms.

I am trying out a deprived character, it's lots of fun - but I got ganked when I invaded, some guy had two sun bros and they all had top level gear. I'm not really complaining, since I invaded, but I admit I don't really get it - are they just hanging around undead burg trying to what?.... Farm sun medals and humanity? Or just for the sheer all-out smashing of low level characters one after another?

What you ran into is the unfortunate side effect of low level, geared gankers (sometimes called twinks or chickenhawks by the internet), the anti-ganker. They sit in mobs of two or three with equally high level gear and jump invaders in an attempt to farm their souls and/or discourage them from invading in the low level areas trying to kill noobs. They likely weren't there to kill you, a legit low level invader but since any invader is considered fair game they stomped you.

It's basically become an arms race, the gankers jump new players with lightning weapons so the anti-gankers followed suit to be able to kill the gankers, and so on and so on.

EYEL1NER

I just started playing the game last night and I'm having a good time. I'm in the Undead Burg before fighting any of the stronger Knights. The furthest I've been so far is to the staircase with the barrel that gets rolled down it.

I'm a pyromancer and at level 22 right now. I want to go forward in the game but I've been having a good time grinding. I was using a Morningstar for a while but I got a sweet axe as a drop and I'm using that now.

I haven't looked up anything yet about the enemies and loot in the game and don't know much about the game period. How is the scaling? Am I going to set myself up for hard times by grinding?

Mike M

Nick N
I just started playing the game last night and I'm having a good time. I'm in the Undead Burg before fighting any of the stronger Knights. The furthest I've been so far is to the staircase with the barrel that gets rolled down it.

I'm a pyromancer and at level 22 right now. I want to go forward in the game but I've been having a good time grinding. I was using a Morningstar for a while but I got a sweet axe as a drop and I'm using that now.

I haven't looked up anything yet about the enemies and loot in the game and don't know much about the game period. How is the scaling? Am I going to set myself up for hard times by grinding?

Enemies and loot are fixed and don't scale.

EYEL1NER

Enemies and loot are fixed and don't scale.
Damn. That's cool news. I am not a fan of scaling. I know some people hate not having a challenge, but I like being able to get super-powerful in an RPG and not be worried about some random mob coming along and killing me while I do no damage to it. Then again, this isn't the really game for that, right? lol

I think I might spend some more time leveling then, at least hit 25 or maybe 30 before proceeding.

Edit: Or maybe not. I'm one-shotting everyone with a heavy attack or fireball at the moment. I know the mini bosses will give me some trouble possibly when I decide to go for them. But I don't know if I want to get TOO strong this early in the game.

Any advice anyone? Should I move on at level 25? Have I leveled up too much already? Or is 25 still pretty low for this early in the game?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Damn. That's cool news. I am not a fan of scaling. I know some people hate not having a challenge, but I like being able to get super-powerful in an RPG and not be worried about some random mob coming along and killing me while I do no damage to it. Then again, this isn't the really game for that, right? lol

Prepare to die! This game will try to break you but whenever you feel you had enough of this bullshit just remember one thing : YOU.CAN.DO.IT. :D

After 10 hours of clean up I'm still not ready to confront Gwyn, I need to go back to Painted World to kill the boss and MAYBE forge a few special weapons. Fuck the rarity of slabs drop though...

Derrick01

Banned

Wtf? :lol

So you hit its weak point for massive damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom