• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got rid of the smaller one first, who shits electricity at you. I found that battle hard, I grinded for a while with the Silver Knights before beating them. In case you wondered, I think you have to kill them in a different order in NG+ if you want both of the souls.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Since i killed Gravelord Nito,
am i unable in this playthrough to rest in the coffin to get transported to him for the covenant opportunity?

Well, I just ran into Catacombs on NG+ specifically to join Gravelord. I tried for a while to lure people to me near the entrance, but eventually I just ran over to Depths and farmed the 5 eyes I needed from the basilisks. Took four runs with 10 humanity and the ring.

So that's all I need from Gravelord. I think I'll get a better farm character to Ariamis in NG to get the items I need for Darkmoon, since I'm not that fond of PvP. Since I don't necessarily have to have all the miracles on one character.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Whoever said you need the Darksword for the rare weapon trophy is wrong. I can confirm I never got it and still achieved Knight's Honor and subsequently The Dark Soul.
Since i killed Gravelord Nito,
am i unable in this playthrough to rest in the coffin to get transported to him for the covenant opportunity?
If you haven't already joined the covenant, your spoilers conclusion is unfortunately the case.

If I go and kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin, will it make Anor Lando all dark? Is there any negative result of doing this?
No Anor Londo will not go dark unless you
kill the illusion of Princess Gwynevere
. The only two negative consequences of killing Gwyndolin are ending access to the Darkmoom covenant for your current playthrough and making the Anor Londo Firekeeper aggressive to you. Fortunately you don't have to kill her and will still have access to the Princess Chamber bonfire either way. If you do defeat her she'll drop a Firekeeper soul that can be used for estus reinforcement.

Random question... can I get back to Firelink after Anor Londo? I still have stuff I'd like to do there! :C
If you go back to where you were dropped off in Anor Londo you can be flown back to the top of Sen's. Nice shortcut for reaching the depraved merchant that sells green herbs and large titanite shards.

However I would also recommend waiting until you beat S&O, as doing so grants you a very useful tool in revisiting many areas quickly.

Since I don't necessarily have to have all the miracles on one character.
This is true if you aren't concerned with the achievement/trophy. From my experience you need most of the miracles/pyromancies/spells on one character to get them to pop. But now that I think about it, I got wisdom of a sage by having spells from oolacile on a different character so maybe you can game it a bit.

The one achievement I'm fairly sure you can't do with multiple characters is Knight's Honor, but the difficulty of that is almost entirely removed with the BB glitch.

Thanks Jackben.

I just had a quick flick through the wiki and it sounds like if you kill the boss, you can absolve your sins and then you'll be able to join the Covenent? I might do that, so I can get on with that Covenent before completing the game once.

Also, if I do kill her, will that stop the bonfire from being warpable at Anor Lando? I was going to kill the Firekeeper there anyway before completing the game so I had +6 at the end (killing her then
killing Queelaags sis)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Thanks Jackben.

I just had a quick flick through the wiki and it sounds like if you kill the boss, you can absolve your sins and then you'll be able to join the Covenent? I might do that, so I can get on with that Covenent before completing the game once.

Also, if I do kill her, will that stop the bonfire from being warpable at Anor Lando? I was going to kill the Firekeeper there anyway before completing the game so I had +6 at the end (killing her then
killing Queelaags sis)

I hope you don't have the old witch ring on when you do that or you won't be able to live with yourself...

Also it will still be warpable but you can't rest at it. Not a big deal IMO as I always use the Princess Chamber bonfire to rest and warp to since it has quick access to the Giant Blacksmith.

I hope you don't have the old witch ring on when you do that or you won't be able to live with yourself...

Also it will still be warpable but you can't rest at it. Not a big deal IMO as I always use the Princess Chamber bonfire to rest and warp to since it has quick access to the Giant Blacksmith.

Yeah same here, I only used it to get to Painted World and Dukes.

What's the deal with the witch ring? Killing the Firekeeper you mean?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah same here, I only used it to get to Painted World and Dukes.

What's the deal with the witch ring? Killing the Firekeeper you mean?
Yes, in regards to killing the spider firekeeper.

Old Witch's Ring allows you to speak with her. She is Quelaag's sister. I wouldn't pursue the ring if you plan on killing her.

Her name is Quelaan, the leader of the Chaos Covenant. She's blind and crippled because out of mercy for the suffering she ingested a cursed substance (the blightpus) in Blightown that was supposedly turning people into the insectoid mutant creatures and egg-burdened you see all around the level.

Quelaan accepts humanity from you to increase your rank in the Chaos Covenant. Her soul description states that she saw all of the dying eggs in Blighttown as a small cradle for each humanity; perhaps hoping that with humanity her cursed state and the state of all the suffering creatures might be one day cured.

Earlier in the game you kill her sister, Quelaag and retrieve her soul.

Because you have Quelaag's soul, when you speak to her with the Old Witch's Ring equipped, Quelaan think's you're her.

She constantly asks that you do not cry and take care of yourself.

This is perhaps in reference to the fact that both Queelag and Quelaan were daughters of the Witch of Izalith and escaped from Lost Izalith after being cursed and turned into the monsters they are because of their mother's attempt to recreate the original Lord Soul.

Her last thought before you kill her is that she was murdered by her sister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Kxk2OFHyM

Derrick01

Banned
So I bought this from a friend since I wanted to give it another shot and I'm surprisingly doing better than before. I only took 3 tries to kill the capra demon this time instead of 10+ when I played this months ago :D

Yes, in regards to killing the spider firekeeper.

Old Witch's Ring allows you to speak with her. She is Quelaag's sister. I wouldn't pursue the ring if you plan on killing her.

Her name is Quelaan, the leader of the Chaos Covenant. She's blind and crippled because out of mercy for the suffering she ingested a cursed substance (the blightpus) in Blightown that was supposedly turning people into the insectoid mutant creatures and egg-burdened you see all around the level.

Quelaan accepts humanity from you to increase your rank in the Chaos Covenant. Her soul description states that she saw all of the dying eggs in Blighttown as a small cradle for each humanity; perhaps hoping that with humanity her cursed state and the state of all the suffering creatures might be one day cured.

Earlier in the game you kill her sister, Quelaag and retrieve her soul.

Because you have Quelaag's soul, when you speak to her with the Old Witch's Ring equipped, Quelaan think's you're her.

She constantly asks that you do not cry and take care of yourself.

This is perhaps in reference to the fact that both Queelag and Quelaan were daughters of the Witch of Izalith and escaped from Lost Izalith after being cursed and turned into the monsters they are because of their mother's attempt to recreate the original Lord Soul.

Her last thought before you kill her is that she was murdered by her sister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Kxk2OFHyM

Hmm, that's messed up!
Well... I don't have that ring (doesn't sound like you need it either, other than speaking to her). I do intend on killing her for the Firekeeper Soul. I'll just do it right before the end of the game.

Mxrz

Why the shit am I only get summoned by people that ask for junk lately? This is especially bad during the day hours. They summon me, then a few seconds later I'll get a PM asking for a ring, weapon, armor, etc. They don't fight, or try to advance either. They just continue summoning people. Laaaaaaaaaame.

I wanted to do some jolly cooperation on my mage for soul farming, but haven't snagged a single legit summoning at either S&O or 4Kings today. I'm within the Sunbro chart ranges too. Ah well. It is fun to turn around and invade the beggars at least. Hopefully Seath is still a soul-farming/co-op gold mine.

Really digging the Falchion in pvp. The speed is great, but the range seems to surprise people. I made the moonlight spear for my mage, and the damage is meh, but its huge range has actually been rather helpful in pve. At least vs the various knights.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Her name is Quelaan, the leader of the Chaos Covenant.

She doesn't have a name. "Quelaan" is just some random thing that somebody made up. Quelaag and Quelana are the only named Daughters of Chaos.

Why the shit am I only get summoned by people that ask for junk lately? This is especially bad during the day hours. They summon me, then a few seconds later I'll get a PM asking for a ring, weapon, armor, etc. They don't fight, or try to advance either. They just continue summoning people. Laaaaaaaaaame.

I've seen this mentioned before, but I've never actually had it happen to me. I imagine I'd just black crystal out the minute somebody started begging for items.

MechaX

I've heard of (and experienced) being summoned for camping and jumping purposes, but never item begging.

Yeah, I would just Black Crystal the fuck out of there at that point.

I started a new character and pretty much all I've done so far is co-op in Undead Burg, it's fun to see the mix of people you encounter - some really are new and it's nice to help them by pointing out where things are, some summon for help with PvP, and some are happy to just stand by and let you do everything. You meet every type of gamer in DS really.

Notice a lot of magic players who summon, I guess so they have a bruiser to tank damage for them.

Mxrz

Well, always the chance the legit players don't like the way my characters look on the summoning sign. Or just random bad luck.

Trying to take the 4Kings using magic only, but before placing the lordvessel. So my best spells are Homing Soul arrow & Soul spear (or whatever they're called.) With the F&P ring on, I had to give up the bellowing dragon ring's boost, too. I really hate having to wear the abyss & lava-walking rings for specific bits.

If only Witchy would get her ass in there and take some hits. Actually not sure what she does during the fight. I'm not even certain I've ever seen her cast a spell at them.

Man, ganking is getting more common these days.

Got destroyed by one group this morning in Sens when using my Darkmoon character, but I tried again not too long after (don't remember if the second guy I invaded was the same as the first, but for the purposes of this anecdote, I'm going to assume they were the same). I wouldn't be too mad if they were not just three guys obviously camping the invader spawn point. But this second time, the guy was at the entrance resummoning someone. I think "Well... last time I tried to fight them in a straight up fight and got slaughtered, so let me put some distance between me and them". With this character, I usually rely on sneak attacks with sorcery, chameleon/hidden body tactics, and always trying to bust out the Moonlight Greatsword instead of the standard Moonlight Butterfly Horn to throw people off guard.

You must be playing with the wrong folks if you're not seeing people using Moonlight Sword. Unless your using it for the look or for defensive fighting/turtling, Horn is junk compared to MS. XD

As for gankers, I don't ever camp an invader spawn point waiting for them except if we're at O&S boss door (because the spawn point is literally right next to the door so no choice) but if I happen to run past one as he's spawning, best believe he's getting backstabbed and/or jumped during his spawn. An invader's whole purpose of existing in the game whether red or blue is to make the host's life hard and prevent them from completing their goal with very few exceptions (people looking for duels).

Therefore I apologize if I can't seem to care if an invader gets mercilessly beat on, jumped, doubleteamed or whatever because in a reversed situation with a solo host and an invader with a stage full of enemies that don't attack them, you bet your backside they're gonna fish for BS, spam lightning weapons and use mobs to gang up on the host.

And I say this having a Darkmoon and having been jumped before; use every advantage you have to survive unless it's a duel (and both players acknowledge it as such, like in PvP areas). They're out to kill you, you don't have to show them any courtesy. Well, any courtesy except not posing and taunting like you solo'd the guy and you're so badass when you really had two phantoms or enemies/NPCs jump someone. You'll look like a tool. Don't do that.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
She doesn't have a name. "Quelaan" is just some random thing that somebody made up. Quelaag and Quelana are the only named Daughters of Chaos.
Just quoting the wiki, I didn't realise it had made up information in it. Perhaps the art book sheds more light on the subject. Also which is Quelana in that case?
The godmother of pyromancies who appears in Blighttown or the one who attacks you just before the Bed of Chaos fight?

krakov

Managed to do a few accidental backstabs lately in pvp, going for a roll attack but ending up with a backstab when the hosts flips in my way. That said, I really enjoy PvP nowadays, mainly using red sign soapstone and/or dragon eye in burg/kiln. It's amazing to see how many good players are out there when you are used to the trash that infest the starting areas at low SL. Also the game is really active still, even on 360. Constant invasions, white signs everywhere, etc.

maomaoIYP

Ornstein and Smough are tough :(

I came to the conclusion that I should attack the fat one first, but I didn't actually figure out any kind of a strategy for doing that, because whenever one of them was open for me to attack, the other one was attacking me so I had to dodge instead.

Use the pillars to block one of them while hitting the other.

I don't mind ganking invaders. It's not like they have anything to lose. But I'm taking a risk when I host in the forest. I'm most likely going to get two invaders within a few minutes of entering and if I die I lose a humanity and potentially all my souls. So I'm definitely going to summon a partner.

Alucrid

Banned
Whaaaaaaaaaat

I summoned a dude for 4 kings since I thought I would need help with my light dex char and I get some caster who is doing like 700 damage per spell. The kings went down so fast we were standing there with no kinds for a good 20 seconds :lol

Beat Dark Souls again...I think I can put this down for a bit.

krakov

I don't mind ganking invaders. It's not like they have anything to lose. But I'm taking a risk when I host in the forest. I'm most likely going to get two invaders within a few minutes of entering and if I die I lose a humanity and potentially all my souls. So I'm definitely going to summon a partner.

So why are you standing around in the forest if you're afraid to lose humanity? There are lots of options for PvP other than farming invaders, most of them will let you keep your humanity.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Just quoting the wiki, I didn't realise it had made up information in it. Perhaps the art book sheds more light on the subject. Also which is Quelana in that case?
The godmother of pyromancies who appears in Blighttown or the one who attacks you just before the Bed of Chaos fight?

Quelana is
the Blighttown Pyromancy trainer. According to the description of the Pyromancy used by the enemy outside the Bed of Chaos it was used by the eldest of the Daughters of Chaos, but the game never says her name. The artbook confirms that the corpse in Ceaseless Discharge's area is a dead sister, so all told there are five confirmed Daughters of Chaos in the game: Quelana, Quelaag, the Servants of Chaos covenant leader, the corpse in the Demon Ruins, and the guard of the Bed of Chaos boss fight. The opening FMV shows seven of them, which leaves two unaccounted for. I've seen it speculated a time or two that the orbs you destroy during the Bed of Chaos fight are what's left of the last two Daughters of Chaos, but there's really bupkis in the game to confirm that. We'll see if any more show up when the new content comes out.

I wouldn't be surprised if some pages of the wiki have some random speculation on them. There were all sorts of bizarre rumors about the game when it first came out and quite a few of them got repeated as gospel for a really rather remarkably long time. In fact, I hear that sometimes, in the middle of the night, when you're all alone on the internet, you can hear a voice telling you that you can spare
Sif
, form a Covenant with
Priscilla
, and use the Pendant for anything other than trade fodder.

Spooky.

Booshka

Managed to do a few accidental backstabs lately in pvp, going for a roll attack but ending up with a backstab when the hosts flips in my way. That said, I really enjoy PvP nowadays, mainly using red sign soapstone and/or dragon eye in burg/kiln. It's amazing to see how many good players are out there when you are used to the trash that infest the starting areas at low SL. Also the game is really active still, even on 360. Constant invasions, white signs everywhere, etc.

I'm on 360, let me know if you wanna duel, I have a Level 61 and 120 built for PvP.

GT is Booshka.

maomaoIYP

So why are you standing around in the forest if you're afraid to lose humanity? There are lots of options for PvP other than farming invaders, most of them will let you keep your humanity.

I'm guessing it's because you could be a lvl 400 happily ganking the lvl 40 invaders.

soultron

Banned
Got summoned and then dismantled S&O in Anor Londo with 2 other guys. It was rad.

It's so funny how much quicker the game plays when you have 3 people. It's just an all-you-can-eat killing train.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
It's so funny how much quicker the game plays when you have 3 people. It's just an all-you-can-eat killing train.
So funny how some bosses get dumb once you have more than one character fighting them because of their aggro switching too often. Feels good in this game after all you have to go through.

dk_

Finally finished Dark Souls today. The last part
(Lost Izalith & final boss) wasn't that good imo. :-/

Soulhouf

What.
I don't remember Black Phantoms being able to invade a player fighting a boss and come into the boss area in Demon's Souls O_O
While fighting False King I saw the message that I was invaded and 5 minutes later the BP crossed the boss fog and backstabbed me.
Wow that was epic. I would never expect to continue to learn new things in this game.

Edit: wrong thread but I will keep it

Dyno

Whaaaaaaaaaat

I summoned a dude for 4 kings since I thought I would need help with my light dex char and I get some caster who is doing like 700 damage per spell. The kings went down so fast we were standing there with no kinds for a good 20 seconds :lol

Beat Dark Souls again...I think I can put this down for a bit.

Where is the best place for me to put down my summon sign to help fight the Four Kings? I drained New Londo and went all the way to the fog gate that I presume is their domain. I want to Sunbro it a couple times before doing it in my game.

FtHTiny

Where is the best place for me to put down my summon sign to help fight the Four Kings? I drained New Londo and went all the way to the fog gate that I presume is their domain. I want to Sunbro it a couple times before doing it in my game.

directly before the fog gate is the normal spot i think.

Usually around the start of new Londo, where the elevator to fire link is.

Soulhof: waat I never seen that before. But I have had some strange laggy summons glitches like getting summoned as a BP when I've put my blue stone down a few minutes after using the black one.

Alucrid

Banned

Well the guy I summoned put his sign down before the bridge leading to the white fog.

I've been playing on a review copy for almost half a year now, but I finally went and ordered the Limited Edition. Feels so dumb to have a cheap copy of a game I play so damn much.

MechaX

You must be playing with the wrong folks if you're not seeing people using Moonlight Sword. Unless your using it for the look or for defensive fighting/turtling, Horn is junk compared to MS. XD

That's precisely why I usually have the Horn in the main hand. One poke, the enemy is already trying to fish for a backstab. At that point, I just pull out the MLGS and catch them in a stun lock when wielding it two-handed. Although, one would think that since the Horn isn't all that great with the exception of its reach, a player would have to be an INT build using something else for better damage (whether that be MLGS or Enchanted Claymore).

And I say this having a Darkmoon and having been jumped before; use every advantage you have to survive unless it's a duel (and both players acknowledge it as such, like in PvP areas). They're out to kill you, you don't have to show them any courtesy. Well, any courtesy except not posing and taunting like you solo'd the guy and you're so badass when you really had two phantoms or enemies/NPCs jump someone. You'll look like a tool. Don't do that.

If it's 1v1, I'll usually just treat it like a normal duel (as in, moving outside enemy aggro ranges and what-not). I usually do this more for Darkmoon invasions simply because there are good odds that you're going to be invading someone who doesn't really know better. But now I know when it comes to 3v1 or 2v1, all bets are off (although, there were scenarios where the player was literally summoning help just to try to get through the level. In rare scenarios like that, I'll just BC out).

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between "summoning 2 or 3 people to fight the boss" and "having three guys stand around the invader spawn point for the next half-an-hour to an hour." If you're not doing the former, exactly what risk do you even have in the forest (letting slide the issue of why one would even be hosting in the forest to begin with)? You're probably going to be higher leveled than any invader (who is most likely just going to be a Forest Covenant player) and there are infinitely better soul, humanity, and PvP options elsewhere.

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between "summoning 2 or 3 people to fight the boss" and "having three guys stand around the invader spawn point for the next half-an-hour to an hour." If you're not doing the former, exactly what risk do you even have in the forest (letting slide the issue of why one would even be hosting in the forest to begin with)? You're probably going to be higher leveled than any invader (who is most likely just going to be a Forest Covenant player) and there are infinitely better soul, humanity, and PvP options elsewhere.

This honestly hasn't been my experience. I only occasionally encountered a low level invader, but most were the usual heavy armor flippers wielding power weapons, shit load of HP, and using buffs.

I do it to get souls and I haven't found a better way. I got about 5 million in what seemed like just an hour or two of play. And it's fun too because you often get into 2 vs 2 slugfests which can become really epic battles.

I'm just saying it's a good way to farm souls but it is pretty risky to do by myself since I'm most likely going to be double teamed. And I've quickly found out that two invaders have no problem ganging up on a lone host.

Only other PvP spot I got into was dark anor londo, but that place seems really inactive these days. It used to be that I couldn't go one minute without getting invaded.

Soulhouf

What.
I don't remember Black Phantoms being able to invade a player fighting a boss and come into the boss area in Demon's Souls O_O
While fighting False King I saw the message that I was invaded and 5 minutes later the BP crossed the boss fog and backstabbed me.
Wow that was epic. I would never expect to continue to learn new things in this game.

Regarding this, I did some researches and it seems that it's a rare bug. But it's definitely a funny/epic one.
I'm glad I was able to see it.

Sullichin

This honestly hasn't been my experience. I only occasionally encountered a low level invader, but most were the usual heavy armor flippers wielding power weapons, shit load of HP, and using buffs.

I do it to get souls and I haven't found a better way. I got about 5 million in what seemed like just an hour or two of play. And it's fun too because you often get into 2 vs 2 slugfests which can become really epic battles.

I'm just saying it's a good way to farm souls but it is pretty risky to do by myself since I'm most likely going to be double teamed. And I've quickly found out that two invaders have no problem ganging up on a lone host.

Only other PvP spot I got into was dark anor londo, but that place seems really inactive these days. It used to be that I couldn't go one minute without getting invaded.

Invading as a darkwraith in the forest is probably the worst way to PVP in this game because of hosts who summon phantoms and gang up on invaders as soon as they spawn. Hosting yourself, you're not really risking much if you lose. You'll lose your human status but you're really close to a bonfire and getting back to your bloodstain usually isn't a problem. And yeah summoning a phantom is nice for when you have 2 invaders, but you'll wind up just ganging up on one invader a bunch of times too if two people don't invade at once. And killing two invaders by yourself is incredibly satisfying, albeit not a reliable strategy.

Hosting in the burg is definitely my preferred way to PVP. The highest frequency of 1v1 fair fights compared to other areas. Painted World is second. You'll wind up with more souls than you'll ever need if you PVP anywhere, though. Although I've never PVPd near the centipede demon area. I hear it's pretty active there but I've never been invaded there.

Derrick01

Banned
Hey guys when it comes to weight/equip load does the slowdown effect it has on you work as a percentage of your overall total or is it at a fixed rate, like higher than 25.0 and you slow down?

I want to equip some better armor but even though I've probably boosted my max equip by about 5-7 pounds through boosting endurance whenever I seem to go over 26 or 27 I slow down a bit and when I roll it's like Fat Albert trying to roll and it sounds like a boulder hitting the ground. Obviously I don't want that when I'm fighting some massive dude so if I just need to boost my max equip more to solve that then great. I'm sitting at 29.8/58.0 right now after putting on new legs that gave me about ~3 pounds more.

Sullichin

Hey guys when it comes to weight/equip load does the slowdown effect it has on you work as a percentage of your overall total or is it at a fixed rate, like higher than 25.0 and you slow down?

I want to equip some better armor but even though I've probably boosted my max equip by about 5-7 pounds through boosting endurance whenever I seem to go over 26 or 27 I slow down a bit and when I roll it's like Fat Albert trying to roll and it sounds like a boulder hitting the ground. Obviously I don't want that when I'm fighting some massive dude so if I just need to boost my max equip more to solve that then great. I'm sitting at 29.8/58.0 right now after putting on new legs that gave me about ~3 pounds more.

<= 25% = fast roll
<= 50% with dark wood grain ring = fast movement, flips instead of rolls
<= 50% = regular roll
> 50% = fat roll

Zertez

It is percentage based off your current equipment load. The break points are 25 and 50 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom