• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEGISX

Banned
logged in to Demon's Souls servers first time since started playing Dark Souls....

saw this message and it just broke my heart.....

a18bb8be.jpg

what about other regional versions?

So after hitting 120 with my first dex build on NG+ I decided to re roll with a different starter class that wastes less points and not spend points on strength for weapons I don't ever use. at 120 these changes should grant me 8 extra points to play with. Used the box glitch cause I don't wanna re do all my weapons and armors so having a pretty easy time moving through my first playthrough. Got the lord vessel in about 3 hours and making my way back to 120 for pvp.

I've heard horror stories about the archer part in Anor Londo since the game came out. Someone needs to tell me what specific part that is, because I just went through a part in Anor Londo with archers and got past them on my second try. That couldn't have been it, right?

I don't mean it in a "I'm way better than you" sort of way, the reason I think that couldn't have been it is because I died like a dozen times in the part directly before that.

I've heard horror stories about the archer part in Anor Londo since the game came out. Someone needs to tell me what specific part that is, because I just went through a part in Anor Londo with archers and got past them on my second try. That couldn't have been it, right?

I don't mean it in a "I'm way better than you" sort of way, the reason I think that couldn't have been it is because I died like a dozen times in the part directly before that.

They eat defensive players for breakfast. You just gotta #YOLO and sprint up to them.

I don't think there is another archer part in Anor Londo - it's the part where you're running up the buttress with a silver knight archer on each side, after the two large knights and the winged demons. After you get past the archers, you turn the corner, drop to the balcony to where the 2nd bonfire is.

Zertez

I know what you mean. It's this giant majestic, royal city on top of the mountain and no one is there except the firekeeper. Completely abandoned, but I guess that's Dark Souls for you.
Pretty much the whole world is abandoned. I havent read much of the lore, but I think the people left when things got bad. Looking out from Anor Londo the walls of the city look insane. I cant imagine what type of army it would take to breach the walls or what other things they were trying to keep out.

My Dex build is finally coming together. Bows are pretty amazing with the right spec. Pyromancer spells are pretty crazy in pvp with high Dex as well. I didnt plan on using many spells, but after trying a few spells with faster casting times, it is tough to ignore them in pvp.

logged in to Demon's Souls servers first time since started playing Dark Souls....

saw this message and it just broke my heart.....

a18bb8be.jpg
Sad it is coming to an end, but I applaud Atlus for keeping them up this long. They were scheduled to come down a few times and Atlus kept extending the drop date. Im just glad I have Dark Souls to play until From makes another game in the universe. It will be tough for them to reproduce the feeling I got playing Demons Souls online the first time, but Dark Souls has added some very interesting online concepts and I look forward to see how they expand on it in the new game.

So I'm starting NG+ on the first character I finished with, a miracles character with a +5 lightning great scythe. Now, I take damage very easily, mostly because I'm in cloth. Should I focus more on ranged battles? Also, is there a weapon that does better damage on a faith build? I'm at 50 faith currently.

Getting Sunlight Spear was great for beating heavy enemies though, and I took out an invader in Parish with a single WotG. Must have been a low level invader wannabe.

And another thing: I unlocked the Gravelord covenant on another character but ultimately went on to beat all the lord bosses. Is it too late to join and level up that covenant now?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I have just achieved platinum for this game. First game on my PS3 that I felt compelled to 100%. Great feeling. Now, I will take a break and then focus on co-op and helping other players.

Jarlaxle

So, I went back to the darkroot basin last night and killed Sif. Then I had to make a choice of where to go next and as I'm playing through primarily with magic I decided to go to the Duke's Archives last night to try and get the rest of the spells from Big Hat Logan. I did notice however the last time I was at the firelink shrine he was still there. Do I have to wait for him to leave before going to rescue him a second time?

Anyways, the area is pretty neat and I wasn't having too much trouble but it can get really creepy sometimes and I am always forced to play pretty late at night since I have a 20 month old and my wife works until 11:30 pm. It can get unsettling sometimes in the house by yourself. So I got to the area where they started playing this creepy music and I killed these two lizards and then all of a sudden these blue things started racing towards me pretty fast up the stairs. With the music playing and stuff I just said, "Fuck this" and ran back to the bonfire so everything would respawn and saved. I'll play it again tomorrow.

Any tips for how to get Seaths tail? I was only hitting the middle tail, had his health down to about 20% and he hadn't lost it.

The bastard keeps turning away from me!

Edit: I think my problem was because I wasn't hitting the tip of the tall... Will try again.

I did it on my 2nd try too, but I can see how annoying it could be if you get unluckily clipped and knocked off.

I am surprised people complained about it so much; I thought Crystal Caves path finding is far more frustrating (until you know the route)

Mike M

Nick N
Any tips for how to get Seaths tail? I was only hitting the middle tail, had his health down to about 20% and he hadn't lost it.

Edit: I think my problem was because I wasn't hitting the tip of the tall... Will try again.

If you let him destroy his own crystal, he'll stagger for a moment, which helps you get behind him before he starts turning to face you.

balddemon

Banned
time to start playing again since i finished breaking bad, gonna start over as a flame dude and actually put points into vitality and endurance this time lol.

Zertez

Seaths tail is the toughest tail to chop off by far. Im not sure if you have to hit in a certain spot, or just the tip, but it seems to have a lot of hp. I usually cant get his tail chopped off until he is under 50 percent hp. Supposedly his tail has under 400hp, but it seems like more in my experiences. Between his tail whip and the tip clipping into the wall it is tough to test it. Most the time Im lucky to chop off his tail and kill him. I have an upgraded Zweihander Im going to use next time I see him.

MechaX

Man, ganking is getting more common these days.

Got destroyed by one group this morning in Sens when using my Darkmoon character, but I tried again not too long after (don't remember if the second guy I invaded was the same as the first, but for the purposes of this anecdote, I'm going to assume they were the same). I wouldn't be too mad if they were not just three guys obviously camping the invader spawn point. But this second time, the guy was at the entrance resummoning someone. I think "Well... last time I tried to fight them in a straight up fight and got slaughtered, so let me put some distance between me and them". With this character, I usually rely on sneak attacks with sorcery, chameleon/hidden body tactics, and always trying to bust out the Moonlight Greatsword instead of the standard Moonlight Butterfly Horn to throw people off guard.

Lo and behold, the ganker was also gravelorded and there was black phantom serpent men around (the simple fact that these guys didn't take care of the phantoms yet also reinforces the notion that they were just ganking hard). I chameleon'd up behind a Black Phantom and waited until they would enter one of the narrow corridors, where they would be easier pickings for Crystal Spears and White Dragon Breath (hah, this sorcery does have some use!). I only had the time to attack the first person who came across while the BP aggro'd the others. Crystal Soul Spear almost did its job, but it was funny to see the targeted white phantom flip up the steps so frantically.

Oddly enough, the host actually decided to rush me in the narrow corridor. Didn't have enough time for a cast, so I just used the MLGS. I thought I was screwed until I remembered that the MLGS had an energy attack. In a hallway that was so damn narrow (for reference, it was me, the host, the BP Man-Serpent, and two other white phantoms all in the narrow space across the first set of traps in Sens), there was no way he could escape the blast. Luckily, that killed him. The white phantoms seemed furious because of it.

Moral of the story; don't be afraid to take advantage of the enemies, especially since ganking seems to be getting more and more commonplace.

For the anor londo archers I used the ring of fog and a bow. I keep hitting them in the head so they don't have a chance to recover and start shooting arrows once I land the first hit. They've never given me much trouble.

I have a quick question. For invaders who are a part of the game, like Kirk in Demon Ruins, if you miss him once / die / don't defeat him the first time, was that your only chance, or should he respond as long as you're not hollow and have not defeated the boss? I am chilling around the cliff where he previously came at me, and he's not coming. I was accidentally disconnected when he had come which, as you know, makes the game restart.

Thank you for clarifying!

sixghost

Do you guys remember how some people experienced that glitch where they had NG+ difficulty on their first playthrough? Is there anyway to manually trigger that glitch, because that seems like it would be fun.
I have a quick question. For invaders who are a part of the game, like Kirk in Demon Ruins, if you miss him once / die / don't defeat him the first time, was that your only chance, or should he respond as long as you're not hollow and have not defeated the boss? I am chilling around the cliff where he previously came at me, and he's not coming. I was accidentally disconnected when he had come which, as you know, makes the game restart.

I'm fairly sure you can fight them as many times as you want as long as the boss from that area is still alive.

Do you guys remember how some people experienced that glitch where they had NG+ difficulty on their first playthrough? Is there anyway to manually trigger that glitch, because that seems like it would be fun.

I'm fairly sure you can fight them as many times as you want as long as the boss from that area is still alive.

It's bizarre...he's not coming..............gerrrrrrrr.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It's bizarre...he's not coming..............gerrrrrrrr.

NPC black phantoms will invade again if they kill you once, but I seem to recall some people having trouble getting them to invade again during the same session in which they died.

You could try quitting to the main menu and reloading or warping to a different location then coming back. Or warping to a different location, quitting to the main menu, reloading, then heading back to the Demon Ruins.

soultron

Banned
Is it normal to have such lag when being invaded? I managed to get a backstab in on this one dude who was jank-dancing all over the place. He followed it up with a backstab that killed me instantly. :c

Also, why does my summon sign keep disappearing? (More lag issues? My connection kind of blows.) I managed to get summoned when it would stay, which was rad. Then he got knocked off the rafter by a swinging blade. :c

Wowbagger

Is it normal to have such lag when being invaded? I managed to get a backstab in on this one dude who was jank-dancing all over the place. He followed it up with a backstab that killed me instantly. :c

Invaders can be quite laggy, yes. Expect to run into a lot of "lagstabbers" doing PVP. Plenty of decent fights to be had too, though.

Also, why does my summon sign keep disappearing?

Your sign will disappear when someone is trying to invade you. Beat the area boss or go hollow to avoid it.

Canova

Banned

you dont have to be connected to the network to have NPC black phantoms to invade you. that's part of the game online or offline. and yeah you have to be in human form and haven't killed the boss in the area.

For NPC who invades you multiple times, like Kirk, you have to kill him in the right order for him to show up for the next invasion

Got Seaths tail, definitely helped hitting towards the tip instead of the base. I got a couple of free hits in from running round when he hit the crystal himself too. He was an easy boss to beat, but then I am probably a little overpowered and my Pyro glove is crazy :)

Not sure where to go now:

- Ash Lake?
- The "Lava" world that I briefly went near after killing Quelaag many, many, MANY hours ago?
- Other place in Anor Lando where you move the stairs, never did that. Is there anything there?

I think the Lava area is the last big place I need to go for completing the game.

I would like to try and do all the covenants I can, get all the weapons and miracles I can on this first run so NG+ I don't need to think about that. I am I'm Dark Wraiths now, will look to switch to a new one. I have to do the Forest Hunters on NG+ as I answered no to the cat.

Mxrz

I never had a problem with Seath's tail, but I probably jinxed myself now that I want the sword for this character. Mostly I just run at the back and slap the tip the middle one. Priscilla's tail was the one that gave me fits.

2AdEPT

Seaths tail is the toughest tail to chop off by far. Im not sure if you have to hit in a certain spot, or just the tip, but it seems to have a lot of hp. I usually cant get his tail chopped off until he is under 50 percent hp. Supposedly his tail has under 400hp, but it seems like more in my experiences. Between his tail whip and the tip clipping into the wall it is tough to test it. Most the time Im lucky to chop off his tail and kill him. I have an upgraded Zweihander Im going to use next time I see him.
sharp weapons seeem to help for cutting tails, i.e. bleed types etc. Queelags furysword seems to do well also.
Got Seaths tail, definitely helped hitting towards the tip instead of the base. I got a couple of free hits in from running round when he hit the crystal himself too. He was an easy boss to beat, but then I am probably a little overpowered and my Pyro glove is crazy :)

Not sure where to go now:

- Other place in Anor Lando where you move the stairs, never did that. Is there anything there?

I think the Lava area is the last big place I need to go for completing the game.

I would like to try and do all the covenants I can, get all the weapons and miracles I can on this first run so NG+ I don't need to think about that. I am I'm Dark Wraiths now, will look to switch to a new one. I have to do the Forest Hunters on NG+ as I answered no to the cat.

did you do all the stuff in anor londo like, painted world, and Gwyndolin? The moving steps are kinda central to a lot of stuff!

I did Painted World, loved it. Not been to the other place though, but I remember getting a ring for it from the Catacombs.

Why is the area so important?

Ah cool. Just read up on those, sounds like its one per play through. Either boss or covenant, then do the other on the next run through the game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Ah cool. Just read up on those, sounds like its one per play through. Either boss or covenant, then do the other on the next run through the game.
Actually that's not entirely correct. You can do both in one playthrough. Just join up with the covenant for as long as you want and right before you start a new game you can tackle the boss. Gravelording works the exact same way.

Mxrz

What causes Big Hat to leave for Dukes? Killing S&O or placing the lordvessel?

50 INT, and 600 health. Funny stuff.

Zertez

Actually that's not entirely correct. You can do both in one playthrough. Just join up with the covenant for as long as you want and right before you start a new game you can tackle the boss. Gravelording works the exact same way.
You should be able to stay and rank up in the Gravelord covenant after you kill Nito as long as you are in the covenant before killing him. Unless something has changed recently, I have been cursed at Kiln quite a few times. I like being cursed at the Kiln.

2AdEPT

I did Painted World, loved it. Not been to the other place though, but I remember getting a ring for it from the Catacombs.

Why is the area so important?

I just love the souls series too much to miss anything semi major like areas, covenants or bosses in particular....I guess I just assume people in the thread feel the same way........can't wait for the PC content this summer!!

krakov

What causes Big Hat to leave for Dukes? Killing S&O or placing the lordvessel?

50 INT, and 600 health. Funny stuff.

You have to place the lordvessel to get there either way. He will be in Firelink until you enter Dukes I think.

I recently started using the red soap stone and dragon eye. I works great at Kiln and especially Burg at SL 90ish. But it's tragic how often the host will just try to gank you. I even got indicted twice by using the dragon eye and getting summoned by a host that couldn't behave.

Still, think I got around 16-18 dragon scales in a few hours, sure beats farming. Also got a slab on my second run through New Londo.

Booshka

What is ganking?

Kinda like griefing, but more about multiple players ganging up on one player and owning them in whatever cheap manner possible.

2-3 phantoms camp an Invaders spawn, one casts Tranquil Walk of Peace, the other one spams Wrath of Gods/Fireballs, Lightning Spear etc. That type of shit is ganking.

Ah OK, cool. I am going to go to Ash Lake next and get my last tail, join the covenant there. I was in Dark Wraiths last but didn't have much success with invading people. I don't think there are any rare weapons attached to it though so OK.

I found Big Hat in Dukes Archive locked up, so released him and bought some magic off of him once he had moved. It that his story path finished now? Also, I saw someone claiming to be Onion guys daughter outside near Crystal Cave, then again at Firelink afterwards. I said both times that I had seen her father. Not seen him for a while though, Blight Town I think...

Ah OK, cool. I am going to go to Ash Lake next and get my last tail, join the covenant there. I was in Dark Wraiths last but didn't have much success with invading people. I don't think there are any rare weapons attached to it though so OK.

I found Big Hat in Dukes Archive locked up, so released him and bought some magic off of him once he had moved. It that his story path finished now? Also, I saw someone claiming to be Onion guys daughter outside near Crystal Cave, then again at Firelink afterwards. I said both times that I had seen her father. Not seen him for a while though, Blight Town I think...

No trophy related items/spells with the Darkwraiths.

For Logan,
you need to buy all of his spells. Then reset the game and he'll be gone. Go to where you first fought Seath and kill Logan who will be nearly naked. Then go back to where he was selling spells in the library where you'll find a chest with his clothes and catalyst. Fin.

Ash Lake done.

- Another Hydra Dragon
- Got some Eyes of Death from the gits that curse you, I have 9 now.
- Entered the Dragon Covenent and got (I think) the last tail-based rare weapon off of the dragon

Went back to Logan and bought everything from him, even stuff I didn't buy as I already had it. This made him talk crazy, so I went to where you fight Seath initially and had a battle with him. Got a hat, catalyst and sorcery, and a trophy popped up too saying I had acquired all sorceries.

Good progress for a Sunday morning! Now I am going to head for Anor Lando to that Covenant and Boss, then get the final soul from the lava areas.

Ornstein and Smough are tough :(

I came to the conclusion that I should attack the fat one first, but I didn't actually figure out any kind of a strategy for doing that, because whenever one of them was open for me to attack, the other one was attacking me so I had to dodge instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom