• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
Is the Symbol of Avarice really that rare? On one of the wiki's it said it so, but I got it on both of my playthroughs so far and I'm sure both times on the first mimic you come across in Sen's.

I got it there too. Near the staircase used to move
into the Crystal Cave.

Zertez

Is the Symbol of Avarice really that rare? On one of the wiki's it said it so, but I got it on both of my playthroughs so far and I'm sure both times on the first mimic you come across in Sen's.
It isnt as rare now as it was before. The biggest headache with getting it is the mimic do not respawn until ng+, the chances of seeing one drop is lowered considerably compared to mobs that respawn. You can put them to asleep to farm for the symbol, but most dont know about this trick on their first play through. I seem to get one on every 3 playthroughs, if I dont use the sleep trick.

Sblargh

Banned
Wow, I had to back off from the Moonlight Butterfly. Just gave up. Found another path, killed a big knight by stabbing it 300 times in the back and now off I go to another direction. :p
Coming from Demons' Souls, it is pretty weird this notion that I just found another path leading to somewhere else entirely, but oh well. I hope it don't become a habit. I know eventually I'll have to face, but I feel I need better equipment. I feel blocking those spears with the shield shouldn't hurt so much, since they're hell to dodge and they come so often.

soultron

Banned
It isnt as rare now as it was before. The biggest headache with getting it is the mimic do not respawn until ng+, the chances of seeing one drop is lowered considerably compared to mobs that respawn. You can put them to asleep to farm for the symbol, but most dont know about this trick on their first play through. I seem to get one on every 3 playthroughs, if I dont use the sleep trick.

Can you trade with phantoms? I've always wondered this.

Zertez

Can you trade with phantoms? I've always wondered this.
Not really trade, but sort of. Drop an item for a phantom, and they pick up said item. You have no control on who picks it up and if they drop an item in return, but rarely will people rip you off now with the inventory glitch and high levels with max rare items like slabs.

Derrick01

Banned
Wtf why is the fire keeper at firelink shrine dead? I was able to loot items when I came back from blighttown but she was gone and now I can't use it there anymore :(

soultron

Banned
Wtf why is the fire keeper at firelink shrine dead? I was able to loot items when I came back from blighttown but she was gone and now I can't use it there anymore :(

You should now have the Black Eye Orb. You'll make use of it when you get to Anor Londo. I won't say anything more, but you can look it up on the Dark Souls wiki if you want to spoil it for yourself.

Derrick01

Banned
You should now have the Black Eye Orb. You'll make use of it when you get to Anor Londo. I won't say anything more, but you can look it up on the Dark Souls wiki if you want to spoil it for yourself.

Ah the item description gave some of it away. Crisis avoided I guess.

Wowbagger

I put my summon sign next to the fog gate for a while but there were no takers. I'm at SL 105 so maybe I'm too high already.

Placing your sign in front of a boss fog gate is generally not a good idea. You'll increase your chance of being summoned significantly by placing it near a bonfire or at the start of an area.

Down in New Londo, you should place your sign at the start, where all the hollows hang out. Unless you absolutely do not want to help with anything but the boss, of course.

Astra

I'm getting pretty burnt out on this game. I've put in over 100 hours now, and still haven't beaten the final boss. I've been spending time exploring, hunting down rare weapons and items, farming for shards and chunks and doing all the upgrade paths, trying out different weapons. I think it's time to end this playthrough and come back to it in a couple of weeks.

Sblargh

Banned
And that's it for trying to beat this game without a guide.
Every path I go, I meet enemies impossible to defeat. wtf at gargoyles. I can't do anything, I spend the entire time blocking and the minute I let go, it's an instakill. I go to the wiki and the strategy doesn't make sense, the gargolyes are always on top of each other, they never let go, they never let you fight them one at a time.
There's no way I'm voting this game easier than Demons' Souls, it is kicking my ass so much more than that game ever did.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Every path I go, I meet enemies impossible to defeat. wtf at gargoyles. I can't do anything, I spend the entire time blocking and the minute I let go, it's an instakill. I go to the wiki and the strategy doesn't make sense, the gargolyes are always on top of each other, they never let go, they never let you fight them one at a time.
There's no way I'm voting this game easier than Demons' Souls, it is kicking my ass so much more than that game ever did.
Try to go there while human and bring someone to help you!

Sblargh

Banned
Try to go there while human and bring someone to help you!

I don't have the item to do it.
I don't have anything. I'm barely at my starting equipment, this is the beggining of the game for fuck sake and strategies either talk about acquiring a sword by exploiting a drake, or summoning an NPC.
Other than that, it's all about getting lucky enough to kill one before the other decides to hurt you. That's the strategy: luck.
Fuck this.

Really, I'm watching videos of how to do it, and it's always this phrase: "if you're lucky".
The main attraction of this game was that it was hard, but you could do it by being focused and not making mistakes. Here it is chaos, you have to "be lucky" enough to kill one before the other killing you.
Fick this 2.

What a day. made it through Sen's fortress pn NG+in one shot today was very proud of myself. As soon as I made to the bonfire.....INVASION! I almost crapped myself at the thought of dying and needing to do the run all over again. Luckily I beat the guy and the crises was averted.

I really enjoy this game and it goes down with Jedi Academy as probably my favorite PVP combat game ever. I really wish it was easier to get some killing done at times though. Hopefully they remedy it a bit with the DLC PVP zone. <3 Thrusting swords.

PVP'ers which would you go Darkwraith or darkmoon? I'm on moon right now cause I like having both sunblade and Darkmoon blade equips though I like the idea of stacking two sunlight blades as well. But losing the ability to sell items to you know who would suck.

soultron

Banned
I don't have anything. I'm barely at my starting equipment, this is the beggining of the game for fuck sake and strategies either talk about acquiring a sword by exploiting a drake, or summoning an NPC.
Other than that, it's all about getting lucky enough to kill one before the other decides to hurt you. That's the strategy: luck.
Fuck this.

Really, I'm watching videos of how to do it, and it's always this phrase: "if you're lucky".
The main attraction of this game was that it was hard, but you could do it by being focused and not making mistakes. Here it is chaos, you have to "be lucky" enough to kill one before the other killing you.
Fick this 2.

Have you killed the Taurus Demon in the Burg yet? He's a much easier boss to topple since there's only one of him. He'll provide you with a bunch of souls with which to level important areas like END, VIT, and whatever stat your starting weapon is tied to. I started as a wanderer and I'm still using my starting weapon. (It was a +10 before I decided to jump to +2 Lightning though, mind you.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And what? Die to a different boss I'm not prepared to fight if I'm stuck on the first one?

And how do you know that until you try? If you're getting your ass kicked, you're either not equipped for the battles, your stats are too low. Unless you're going to grind and then level up at a bonfire, you're better off going to another area and seeing if it's possible for you to get by.

Sblargh

Banned
Have you killed the Taurus Demon in the Burg yet? He's a much easier boss to topple since there's only one of him. He'll provide you with a bunch of souls with which to level important areas like END, VIT, and whatever stat your starting weapon is tied to. I started as a wanderer and I'm still using my starting weapon. (It was a +10 before I decided to jump to +2 Lightning though, mind you.)

I did. Maybe a mistake I did was to not upgrade my weapon. I met the blacksmith, killed the thing after him. But didn't upgrade my weapon.
*sigh*
I'll try it to see if causing more damage is an answer. But the frustrating thing is not that the boss is hard because his patterns and timings are hard, but because they sandwich you and becomes impossible to do anything, suddenly thee is too much on screen to deal with and the tactical combat becomes a desperation run to kill a mob before he kills you.
Urgh, I'll try to stop ranting.

And how do you know that until you try? If you're getting your ass kicked, you're either not equipped for the battles, your stats are too low. Unless you're going to grind and then level up at a bonfire, you're better off going to another area and seeing if it's possible for you to get by.

I got to the moonlight butterfly, but was dealing no damage to it and the spears would eventually wear me down. So I decided to *try another area* and was eaten by drakes, after a few tries of not causing damage and being destroyed by a few hits, I decided to try another aera and there were the crystal demons and the water spitting hydra. Tried something and they evaporated me. So I decided to check a guide and noticed these areas were usually done later, so I decided to enter the parish and this happened.
Reading a bit, I thinki I tried all areas. All kicked my ass. Maybe I'm leveling wrong and also not upgrading the weapon as I said.

soultron

Banned
I did. Maybe a mistake I did was to not upgrade my weapon. I met the blacksmith, killed the thing after him. But didn't upgrade my weapon.
*sigh*
I'll try it to see if causing more damage is an answer. But the frustrating thing is not that the boss is hard because his patterns and timings are hard, but because they sandwich you and becomes impossible to do anything, suddenly thee is too much on screen to deal with and the tactical combat becomes a desperation run to kill a mob before he kills you.
Urgh, I'll try to stop ranting.

Remember that rolling is crucial. We've been discussing equipment load lately and what it does to your mobility. Remember to keep your equip load <50% max so you're not stuck with slower move speed and the "fat roll."

I find that rolling and avoiding damage is a much better strategy than trying to tank/take damage with higher poise/physical defense armour sets. It's why people have completed the game with no armour and Lv1 characters.

Sometimes avoiding lock-on will help you better identify enemy attacks. The enemies all telegraph their attacks with easily identifiable animations, but you need to be able to see these animations when they're about to do a close-range attack so that you can get out of there. Inversely, you need to know when they're doing a ranged-ish attack so that you can get in close and exploit that window of free time to deal some damage. I constantly switch in and out of lock-on when I'm in major fights -- especially when the enemy fills the screen and I can't see what they're doing unless I have camera control.

I got to the moonlight butterfly, but was dealing no damage to it and the spears would eventually wear me down. So I decided to *try another area* and was eaten by drakes, after a few tries of not causing damage and being destroyed by a few hits, I decided to try another aera and there were the crystal demons and the water spitting hydra. Tried something and they evaporated me. So I decided to check a guide and noticed these areas were usually done later, so I decided to enter the parish and this happened.
Reading a bit, I thinki I tried all areas. All kicked my ass. Maybe I'm leveling wrong and also not upgrading the weapon as I said.

The key to the Moonlight Butterfly is having something ranged. Grab a longbow and a whacktonne of arrows, use lock-on, and take the occasional popshot. Rolling is super crucial in this fight because those magic shots it releases are deadly but easy to avoid if you time your rolls right. Staying as far back as possible (if it's at the left end of the bridge, you want to be on the right end) will give you more time to judge when exactly to roll out of the way of its magic shots. It will come to rest on the bridge and that's when you can rush in to deal some major damage with your sword/close-range weapon. But remember to pay attention to it because it will charge for a devastating AOE (area of effect, like a blast radius) attack before it takes flight again.

Hope all of this helps. Remember 3 things: patience, visibility (lock-on vs. no lock-on), and mobility.

Sblargh

Banned
Thanks. I'll try to roll another character, since going pure meele is not doing me so good. Any recomendation for a ranged option?

soultron

Banned
Thanks. I'll try to roll another character, since going pure meele is not doing me so good. Any recomendation for a ranged option?

I don't use it, but I hear sorcery is hella overpowered in this game. Stuff like soul arrows, homing soul masses, magic weapon, magic shield, and so on.

Might not be so hot for enclosed areas because everything requires a cast time and you're usually planted on one spot for a part of that casting time. I use some pyromancy stuff right now and it's very situational in its use, IMO.

Soulhouf

Do you have the halberd? Go to the blacksmith and upgrade it to +5. It's very useful in this fight.
You can also pick up the Claymore (on the bridge where the red dragon was) and upgrade it. It's an awesome weapon.

Astra

Try a Dexterity build. It does a lot of damage, so you can keep your equipment light (since you dispatch enemies fairly quickly), and dodge effectively. Find yourself a curved sword; a Scimitar or Falchion as they scale well with Dexterity for the beginning of the game. It'll also come in handy with bows, namely the Short Bow you can buy from the Merchant in Undeadberg. It scales nicely with Dex as well.
Make sure you put points into Endurance as well, so you'll have the stamina to do full combos with your weapons (eventually).

Edit: Oh, and if going with a Dex build, I think Thief is the best starting class (someone can correct me, if not) since you start with the Bandit's Knife, and that has amazing backstab and riposte damage.

soultron

Banned
Back to Valley of Drakes via NLR and the Drakes are still strong as hell. Shiiiiit.

Tempted to go through the fog at the bottom of NLR but didn't feel ready yet.

Demon Ruins spoilers: fuck the
Centipede Demon
. I'm sure I'll find use for the
lava ring
, but the entire fight seemed pretty pointless otherwise.

I'd say pyromancy is the easiest choice for new users. It doesn't scale with the level, just the with the weapon so it's very powerful and very useful from the start.

Frank

Fuck this.

Fick this 2.

You most definitely have at least 1 Humanity item in your inventory, the game puts a few in your path in the beginning stages.

Equip it, use it, and your active Humanity counter (top left corner of screen) will go up. Then you can sit down at a bonfire and Revert Hollowing (become Human). Once you do this, then you'll be able to see the signs of other players and bring someone in. Also, for the Gargoyles, right before the fog gate, there's an NPC sign you can call on to help you.

Popular places to find sings are either around the Sunlight Altar (bonfire underneath the red drake on the bridge) and on the stairs leading to the boar from Parish; or in front of the entrance in the church of the Gargoyles, the one leading towards the Garden and smith Andre.

And if you're going around the world killing stuff but not killing the bosses of those areas -- after a while you'll receive active Humanity (your top left corner counter will go up). You can use this Humanity the same way as above -- bonfire, Revert Hollowing.

Regarding your issue with the Gargoyles... Upgrade your weapon (or the highest damage weapon you have and can use) to +5 (you can buy the Titanite Shards needed for this directly from smith Andre), get a 100% shield, get 1 humanity and summon either a player or the NPC.

The +5 weapon is important as you gotta have some high DPS to take as much life as possible out of the first Gargoyle until the 2nd one appears -- it simplifies the fight to fight one at a time, instead of both all the time.

And lastly, you can get Humanity by using the White Sign Soapstone yourself (you get the WSS by talking with the guy looking at the sun at one end of the bridge with the red drake). You don't have to be Human to use the White stone, you can also do it while Hollow. Sign down in one of those places mentioned above, and someone will call you in their game. Help him beat the Gargoyles, and you'll get a lot of souls and Humanity.

/edit

Listen to this man, by the way. The Claymore especially, it's a simple thing of beauty and it might carry you through the whole game if you keep upgrading it. The moveset is very good as well, and balances nicely the damage & the speed, the horizontal & the vertical moves.

Do you have the halberd? Go to the blacksmith and upgrade it to +5. It's very useful in this fight.
You can also pick up the Claymore (on the bridge where the red dragon was) and upgrade it. It's an awesome weapon.

maomaoIYP

Fuck this.

Fick this 2.

If you can't beat the butterfly as a melee only, you don't stand a chance against the gargoyles. The gargoyles are in an area that's deceptively early, most early characters, ESPECIALLY pure melee ones, don't stand a chance without good items and a good bit of health and defense.

The butterfly's pattern is quite simple to learn, you can dodge all the ranged attacks by rolling. When she stops on the bridge, just hit her. All the huge knights just before her can be avoided simply by running through.

To me my pure melee (some miracles) Zweihander wielding favorite character is definitely the most satisfying to play. Although I played my first two playthroughs with a pyromancer so I was pretty familiar with the game at that point.

krakov

I dont work at FROM, but have played enough Demon/Dark to see what they were aiming for in certain areas/zones. Some places are setup great for pvp. Of course you can avoid killing the phantoms taking the long way, but if you are heading to Sif from the bonfire co-op, the shortest route is through the phantoms. To avoid them you need to take the longest route possible. I dont think the matchmaking system takes level into account as well. Any forest hunter is capable of invading people who attack the phantoms in human form. I could be wrong though, but I have been dropped by some very high level people at lvl 20 in the forest. They gave people a ring that summons them back from any zone in the world, well not sure about the Painted World. They gave invaders all the tools to pvp in the forest at any time or place in the game. If you want to spend time going pvp, the forest is the easiest zone to do it in by far.

It is very similar to pvp in the first Anor Londo courtyard. They put in a huge courtyard next to a bonfire with zero mobs, then put a covenant in the zone that allowed people to invade a long list of players. The courtyard is huge and wide open without any mob to interrupt the fight. Players can face one another and have it be as fair for both sides. FROM put a lot of thought into mob placement, zones, and systems, I find it hard to believe they didnt intend for the forest to have mass chaotic pvp with players of all levels. I guess I would feel differently if they had similar systems for most of the zones, but it is isolated to the forest.

Let me tell you about it, since I've spent quite a lot of time in the forest. First of all, you can easily just run past all of the enemies in the area. As soon as you start a dialogue with alvina (the cat) they will de-aggro unless you have betrayed the covenant already. You can also just keep running since they will stop following you soon after you reach the other side of the bridge. You can also join the covenant to prevent forest hunter invasions as well as making the nearby enemies friendly. No need to go the long way around.

Now, the problem is that people usually hang around in the forest waiting to be invaded, this is beneficial to them in many ways. First of all, they can summon a friend to help them out. They can use their estus flask and easily refill (nearby bonfire). They can be any level, which is why the forest is pretty much the only place you'll find SL150+ players. They get a ton of souls for killing of invaders, actually it's one of few viable ways to keep leveling beyond 150-200 and a very easy one at that.

The end result is that you as a forest hunter will usually get stomped on by two or more ill behaved lvl 200 dudes. Very seldom will they give you a chance to even spawn before attacking you, most likely they will be chugging estus while you are fighting their phantom, etc. It's pretty much pure trolling that will also reward you handsomely.

If you don't see the problem with the forest covenant I would recommend joining them and dedicate an hour or two for invading with the ring. Please let me know the results.

Also, the big courtyard in Anor Londo is not open for invasion/co-op.

Sblargh

Banned
The gargoyles are dead
with the help of the sunny jolly fellow or whoever he is
. Felt like I was using game genie or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up doing another warrior (still pure melee) as my Demons' Souls experience is that that's how you learn the game. But I been leveling better, I think, I am focusing only on Strenght, Dextery, Vitality and Endurance (I was leveling resistance earlier too) and even tho I used an NPC to kill the boss, I fought him once without it and felt I could do it if I had the heart to try, which I didn't after he mauled my other character so many times.

Anyway, the fight felt more like it was supposed to feel. I almost died once or twice, had to pay atention, deal the damage when opportunity appeared. It wasn't two giant dudes jumping on my head nonstop that was before. Anyway, I'm feeling good with this game now, going to follow a guide because I liked the more linear nature of the previous one, so I'll pretend I'm going to 1-2 now instead of another area.
-
As for the butterfly. I can dodge the slow homing thingies forever, the spears that felt a bit undodgeable and they would tag me out of rolling.

maomaoIYP

As for the butterfly. I can dodge the slow homing thingies forever, the spears that felt a bit undodgeable and they would tag me out of rolling.

Roll the homing blob and the sweeping laser. The 6 spears you can just keep your shield up, move the same direction as the butterfly but slightly in front or slight behind her. There's a good change the spears will just miss.

It's pretty much pure trolling that will also reward you handsomely.

You are absolutely right. I make dedicated PvP builds just to troll them back. I feel the satisfaction when I receive angry messages - that means I'm actually doing something right.

Zertez

Let me tell you about it, since I've spent quite a lot of time in the forest. First of all, you can easily just run past all of the enemies in the area. As soon as you start a dialogue with alvina (the cat) they will de-aggro unless you have betrayed the covenant already. You can also just keep running since they will stop following you soon after you reach the other side of the bridge. You can also join the covenant to prevent forest hunter invasions as well as making the nearby enemies friendly. No need to go the long way around.

Now, the problem is that people usually hang around in the forest waiting to be invaded, this is beneficial to them in many ways. First of all, they can summon a friend to help them out. They can use their estus flask and easily refill (nearby bonfire). They can be any level, which is why the forest is pretty much the only place you'll find SL150+ players. They get a ton of souls for killing of invaders, actually it's one of few viable ways to keep leveling beyond 150-200 and a very easy one at that.

The end result is that you as a forest hunter will usually get stomped on by two or more ill behaved lvl 200 dudes. Very seldom will they give you a chance to even spawn before attacking you, most likely they will be chugging estus while you are fighting their phantom, etc. It's pretty much pure trolling that will also reward you handsomely.

If you don't see the problem with the forest covenant I would recommend joining them and dedicate an hour or two for invading with the ring. Please let me know the results.

Also, the big courtyard in Anor Londo is not open for invasion/co-op.
I guess we see things differently. Im not going to defend the griefers and aholes in the forest, everyone knows it is full of them. There is builds designed just with forest pvp and griefing in mind. I just got finished lvling the forest covenant and with pvp in the forest. I switched to Chaos Servant to open the door to farm.

At SL 120 which is pretty standard for pvp, I more than hold my own even with 2 on 1. The majority of people that cheese in the forest are pretty horrible overall. I have 70 something humanity to heal, so I can heal just fine. Once in awhile you will run into someone that is SL 200 plus, but they arent as tough to kill as you would think. Most stats have a soft cap, so the extra stats dont make them unstoppable. The forest is a giant free for all, but they set it up that way. If I get killed by a couple high lvls with nothing better to do, big deal, I move onto the next person. Very rarely do I run across people at 120 and stand no chance. I hated it at lower levels, but enjoy it now for the challenge. You run across people from all lvls, equipment, and skill. Personally I have a bigger problem with the aholes that use the bag glitch and hunt low lvl new players.

Derrick01

Banned
I was looking at a list of the covenants last night and thought the forest one was cool because I was invaded twice there and fought them off easily.

Now I'm not so sure I want to join. I'm only like 45 or so and I don't want to get camped by 150s all day. Sucks to hear it's so easily exploitable. You would think they would filter for levels instead of just people who are in the area or in the covenant which could be anyone.

The gargoyles are dead
with the help of the sunny jolly fellow or whoever he is
. Felt like I was using game genie or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up doing another warrior (still pure melee) as my Demons' Souls experience is that that's how you learn the game. But I been leveling better, I think, I am focusing only on Strenght, Dextery, Vitality and Endurance (I was leveling resistance earlier too) and even tho I used an NPC to kill the boss, I fought him once without it and felt I could do it if I had the heart to try, which I didn't after he mauled my other character so many times.

Anyway, the fight felt more like it was supposed to feel. I almost died once or twice, had to pay atention, deal the damage when opportunity appeared. It wasn't two giant dudes jumping on my head nonstop that was before. Anyway, I'm feeling good with this game now, going to follow a guide because I liked the more linear nature of the previous one, so I'll pretend I'm going to 1-2 now instead of another area.
-
Glad you killed the Gargoyles, I know how easy it is to feel disheartened and helpless early on, but soon the Gargoyles will be a cakewalk.

Don't feel like it's cheating to use summons (NPC or human) to help with bosses - that's what they're there for. Solaire (or whoever is around) will tank damage for you while you concentrate on attack rather than defense. There is also an NPC who can help you with the Moon butterfly
the summon sign is under a small shrub, underneath the stairs
, also use your highest magic defense equipment and shield for the battle since the butterfly only attacks using magic.

One tip for fighting bosses is to lay down your summon sign and help other players with their boss fights - you will learn their patterns and be more prepared when you face them, and also nets you lots of souls and humanity easily.

Also, I wouldn't put any points into resistance, there are different armour builds you get that will help with resistance etc. After playing a few characters, I've found that VIT and END are musts for all characters really, then it's basically putting points into either strength, dexterity or intelligence/faith depending on if you're using melee or magic - I always put a few into strengh and dex (maybe up to about 14) so I can use a decent shield and bow, if you go heavy armour and big weapons then more points into strength. The way I see that it works is definately to concentrate only a couple of stats besides vitality and endurance, you can't level up everything and have a decent character.

krakov

I guess we see things differently. Im not going to defend the griefers and aholes in the forest, everyone knows it is full of them. There is builds designed just with forest pvp and griefing in mind. I just got finished lvling the forest covenant and with pvp in the forest. I switched to Chaos Servant to open the door to farm.

At SL 120 which is pretty standard for pvp, I more than hold my own even with 2 on 1. The majority of people that cheese in the forest are pretty horrible overall. I have 70 something humanity to heal, so I can heal just fine. Once in awhile you will run into someone that is SL 200 plus, but they arent as tough to kill as you would think. Most stats have a soft cap, so the extra stats dont make them unstoppable. The forest is a giant free for all, but they set it up that way. If I get killed by a couple high lvls with nothing better to do, big deal, I move onto the next person. Very rarely do I run across people at 120 and stand no chance. I hated it at lower levels, but enjoy it now for the challenge. You run across people from all lvls, equipment, and skill. Personally I have a bigger problem with the aholes that use the bag glitch and hunt low lvl new players.

I see the forest intended as something of a PvP proving ground. I think most players get there pretty early and they get greeted with the most broken mess in the entire game. It's not fortunate in my opinion. I kinda enjoy it for the challenge just as you, taking down a bunch of cocky opponents is satisfying. Though it really made me want to avoid PvP initially as I was just getting instakilled in a matter of seconds whenever I got called in on my first playthrough.

If you are SL120 you are probably doing something more worthwhile than being a forest hunter, unless you are a dedicated countertroll like maomaoIYP of course. That is a cause I fully support.

I was looking at a list of the covenants last night and thought the forest one was cool because I was invaded twice there and fought them off easily.

Now I'm not so sure I want to join. I'm only like 45 or so and I don't want to get camped by 150s all day. Sucks to hear it's so easily exploitable. You would think they would filter for levels instead of just people who are in the area or in the covenant which could be anyone.

Give it a few tries, you won't loose anything though you will respawn at your latest bonfire if you lose, so don't make progress with the ring on.
Most of the other PvP options have filters of different kinds and will lead to a lot of different encounters.

Sullichin

Hosting yourself, regardless of where you choose to PVP, takes away a lot of the annoyances. Don't have to worry about someone using estus or being killed as you spawn, and being ganged up on is less frequent and less annoying when it happens (phantoms can't use estus, and they won't necessarily want to gang up on you).

Invading in the forest is an easy way to get your feet wet in PVP, and the rare legitimate 2v2 match is awesome. I also still have fun there despite the cheapness that often occurs. Winning a 2v1 is really satisfying and it's just a fun place to fight. Still my least favorite pvp area though, probably. I agree with Zertez that if I get killed by a couple of high level gankers or something, it's not a big deal. It's not ideal and thats why I usually host in burg or painted world but eh, who cares, you move on.

High level pvp is really annoying because everyone just spams WOG. It's like they have neverending casts. I was in the forest yesterday and two invaders literally just kept running at me and spamming that crap.

Frank

High level pvp is really annoying because everyone just spams WOG. It's like they have neverending casts. I was in the forest yesterday and two invaders literally just kept running at me and spamming that crap.

WoG spamming only happened to me in the Forest, or when invading someone on their way to a boss.

All other semi-official PvP-duel areas (Burg, Centipede door, Painted World, Kiln) were populated by players who would behave themselves -- mainly melee, some sprinkled with pyro/magic. Meaning, there's the occasional guy who uses WoG but it's more along the lines of being complementary, not the main way of fighting. And when this happens, I usually start salting my attacks with the occasional pyromancy spell.

MrWisker

I'm getting pretty burnt out on this game. I've put in over 100 hours now, and still haven't beaten the final boss. I've been spending time exploring, hunting down rare weapons and items, farming for shards and chunks and doing all the upgrade paths, trying out different weapons. I think it's time to end this playthrough and come back to it in a couple of weeks.

I have also put the game aside for the time being although I have put in close to 400 hours beating the game dozens of times. Time to catch up on some games I have on my backlog (namely Witchers 2, Tales of Graces, Skyrim, Final Fantasy XIII-2) while I await for the new content I am sure will hit sometime in the late fall or early winter.

MrWisker

Learn to roll when being attacked by WoG. Once you get this mastered WoG only becomes a minor nuisance. Most hardcore PVP rarely use WoG and will only bring it out if they are attacked with it themselves.

2AdEPT

You were very fortunate...I have only had one out of 5 characters get it and farmed for hours with no luck at various locations.

krakov

I agree with Zertez that if I get killed by a couple of high level gankers or something, it's not a big deal. It's not ideal and thats why I usually host in burg or painted world but eh, who cares, you move on.

You move on from anything, like for example a real life event that has an actual impact on your life. I just think it's sad that a really cool idea like the forest covenant became a soul farming exploit/griefing area.

You were very fortunate...I have only had one out of 5 characters get it and farmed for hours with no luck at various locations.

Really? I've gotten one every playthough since the patch.

Soulhouf

I got 7 symbols of avarice with my current character. NG+5 so it's more than one in each play through.
This item is no longer a rare drop since the patch.

Derrick01

Banned
Give it a few tries, you won't loose anything though you will respawn at your latest bonfire if you lose, so don't make progress with the ring on.
Most of the other PvP options have filters of different kinds and will lead to a lot of different encounters.

Yeah I tried twice and the first time 2 obviously much stronger guys were waiting for me when I spawned and the other time was 2 on 2 but they were both hurling fireballs at me. I dodged a few but I couldn't get to them, when 1 did hit me it took almost all of my health.

And this is one large reason why I hate multiplayer. People.

2AdEPT

I got 7 symbols of avarice with my current character. NG+5 so it's more than one in each play through.
This item is no longer a rare drop since the patch.

Really? I've gotten one every playthough since the patch.

I played only briefly since the patch before CHristmas that nerfed the dragon head glitch, fog ring etc.....has there been another patch I missed? Doesn't appear that 1.06 came out yet, but maybe it has. Pehaps there was a minor unheralded "update" that did it...all those Lloyd's Talisman anti chug bombs and hours and hours spent makes it worth it for the developer. THere needs to be a happy medium for rare shit...I realize some stuff should be rare, but how rare is the key.....20 minutes of grinding is about my limit.

I really beleive in the possibility that conspiracy theories about FROM actually having an unpublished formaula for getting at rare shit could be true...I know Iknow, averages mean there is going to be some lucky people out there...take me for example...I got a pure bladestone in demon's once per playthrough, not grinding longer than 10 minutes to get souls on 4.2. BUt I got it the exact same way both times, both times it was the first drop, right after I swithched to full dark tendency, with the increase drop sword. Sure there were other times I didn't get itdoign that, but to me the chances seem way more favourable under certain conditions, and other times it would be really poor odds. MAybe once this series goes to PC someone will uncover some interesting code.

Jarlaxle

Okay. So I played a bunch last night. I was able to find the key and free Master Logan in the Duke's Archives and bought all of his spells off of him. Took a little longer than I thought but not too bad.

I then decided since I wanted the Moonlight Greatsword to try and take off the tail of Seath. I wasn't able to do it. I tried about 7 times. I was using the lightning spear to try and take it off. Am I supposed to use a sword instead? Will a spear not work? Anyway, I got a little tired of trying to go for it and then just attacked him a little bit just to see what kind of damage I would be doing normally. I am playing primarily with magic and was excited to see what my new spells would do against him. The crystal spear and homing crystal missiles barely did any damage. Is this because I'm in the crystal caves? Is he resistant to magic? If so, I'm going to have a bitch of a time fighting him and it doesn't seem like there's an easy area for co-op for him either.

On my last attempt against him last night I got cursed for the first time. I figured, no big deal. Then I died and realized I would still be cursed. Uh oh. The game told me I had to find some healer in New Londo or have some item to cure it. Where can I find this item? I haven't been to New Londo yet and I was waiting to go there until after I had finished off Seath.

Dyno

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - This guy has proven pretty tough.

He's alot like the Fire Lord from Demon's Souls. Tough, flaming guy that you have to really brawl with. Any tips? How did you folks beat him?

Are there lots of people helping with this fight? I haven't seen any signs and when I leave mine to help others it doesn't get picked up.

Sullichin

Okay. So I played a bunch last night. I was able to find the key and free Master Logan in the Duke's Archives and bought all of his spells off of him. Took a little longer than I thought but not too bad.

I then decided since I wanted the Moonlight Greatsword to try and take off the tail of Seath. I wasn't able to do it. I tried about 7 times. I was using the lightning spear to try and take it off. Am I supposed to use a sword instead? Will a spear not work? Anyway, I got a little tired of trying to go for it and then just attacked him a little bit just to see what kind of damage I would be doing normally. I am playing primarily with magic and was excited to see what my new spells would do against him. The crystal spear and homing crystal missiles barely did any damage. Is this because I'm in the crystal caves? Is he resistant to magic? If so, I'm going to have a bitch of a time fighting him and it doesn't seem like there's an easy area for co-op for him either.

On my last attempt against him last night I got cursed for the first time. I figured, no big deal. Then I died and realized I would still be cursed. Uh oh. The game told me I had to find some healer in New Londo or have some item to cure it. Where can I find this item? I haven't been to New Londo yet and I was waiting to go there until after I had finished off Seath.

Don't go all the way to new londo. That message is such a troll lol, the first time most players get cursed is probably in the depths, and getting through new londo at that point is a pain. Thankfully where you are, the clams in the room before Seath sometimes drop purging stones, which is the item you need. So just farm those. Re: getting his tail, if you trick him into breaking the crystal with his breath attack, he will be stunned and you will have enough time to go around and chop it off. It's probably the hardest tail drop to get.

Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - This guy has proven pretty tough.

He's alot like the Fire Lord from Demon's Souls. Tough, flaming guy that you have to really brawl with. Any tips? How did you folks beat him?

Are there lots of people helping with this fight? I haven't seen any signs and when I leave mine to help others it doesn't get picked up.

Black Knight shield has great fire resist, and is dropped by the knights leading up to him. You can also parry with this shield, and Gwyn can be parried/riposted - once you get the timing down it's probably the best way to beat him. If you don't do it this way, it's safe to get an attack in or heal right after he misses his grab attack. You can also get him stuck momentarily behind stuff, but he'll get back in your face soon enough. There's lots of people helping for that fight probably, but the kiln is also a popular pvp/invasion area so keep that in mind.

I made it to Sen's fortress...died 3 times in the first few rooms. This is going to be a pain in the ass isn't it? lol
Yeah Sen's is pretty brutal the first time through. Use the traps to your advantage, they can help you take down almost every enemy once you know how to avoid them yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom