• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Your shield must be down? Why is that? I don't doubt it, but the second you attack (with any weapon other than spear, rapier, etc.) your shield is technically "down", isn't it? I haven't really noticed this nuance yet. Might explain why I suck at back stabs.

The backstab won't work if you don't put down your shield before you push the attack button.
Learning how to switch effectively between shield up and down is a key feature of the gameplay even if you don't backstab. It's useful to optimize your stamina, parry effectively and so on.

hayguyz

Banned
They're pretty tough at first, but they can be parried and backstabbed pretty easy.

Okay, I'm such a noob. I had completely forgotten about parries and haven't done them since Undead Burg because I got fed up with failing at it. But now I can successfully parry a lot and the silver knights are a breeze.

I can't find the source, but yeah, keep your shield down. If you are rounding the enemy, most of the time, it shouldn't be a problem.
The backstab won't work if you don't put down your shield before you push the attack button.
Learning how to switch effectively between shield up and down is a key feature of the gameplay even if you don't backstab. It's useful to optimize your stamina, parry effectively and so on.

Thanks, I've been getting a ton more backstabs since I started doing this.

Noticed a few days ago that the Artorias of the Abyss add-on was on sale on EU PSN. The sale said it will last until 4th or 5th of february, so I didn't rush to buy it.
Now I turn on my PS3, go to the store, find the "7,95€" slot for Artorias, but when selecting it, it shows the regular price of 13€. The text about the discount and it lasting till the 5th are gone.
What gives? I was ready to double dip on the DLC, but not with that price...

Edit: After fiddling with the store, the "7,95€" slot for Artorias disappeared. Guess I just got punkd by Scamco. Even the HotUKDeals thread shows it expiring five days from now.

it happened to me as well :(
they ended the sale before 5th february so i couldnt buy it for 7.99€ on PS store.

it's on sale now on the US store i think but then it wont work with my main account (EU)

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
Listening to the OST. [lol final boss]
When I got to Gwyn's theme, it dawned on me for the first time that his weakness to parries reflects his tiredness. It wasn't something I realized the first time because I was all hyped up and ready for a huge climactic battle. (I thought after Demon's didn't have one they were going to mix it up.) I mean, like, he's so weary that he's not in proper form and he's leaving huge gaps in his defense. He want's to stop you, but he's just so tired...

For the longest time I thought it was just an easy boss...but now I appreciate the way it was laid out.

Seanspeed

Banned
How the hell do you backstab silver knights? Seems completely random for me.

Couldn't tell ya. Backstabbing isn't really a big part of my strategy. I get a 100% physical defense shield and duel with these sorts of enemies. Learn their moves and you can beat them pretty safely.

I beat this game a while ago, before the DLC was released, not planning on going through a NG+ game (so I didn't make myself super buffed or anything).

Is it worth playing through all that NG+ content just to get to the DLC (now that it is on sale?)

As much as I enjoyed the game, I felt a huge relief to be through with it due to its difficulty and now I'm mainly concerned about the difficulty and the time commitment that the DLC will bring.

Is the DLC that good that I need to extend upon the prior-resolved base game experience?

Getting summoned in the Depths - sort of starting to feel like an old hand at the first half of the game, so it's nice to actually prove useful to the people who summon me. I embarrassed myself when I was summoned in Blighttown without any prior knowledge of the second half of the area.

I'm having a lot easier time with this game than I did with Demon's Souls. Not sure if the bosses are easier (they are) or if I'm just getting better.

sixghost

The AoA DLC is absolutely brutal. I opened the first shortcut but this area has been kicking my ass so far. Playing without a shield here is practically a death wish.

The AoA DLC is absolutely brutal. I opened the first shortcut but this area has been kicking my ass so far. Playing without a shield here is practically a death wish.

The wood monsters are quite stuff, I'd even say they might be the hardest regular enemies in the game together with the skeleton dogs. I just run past them if I don't absolutely need to fight them.

I beat this game a while ago, before the DLC was released, not planning on going through a NG+ game (so I didn't make myself super buffed or anything).

Is it worth playing through all that NG+ content just to get to the DLC (now that it is on sale?)

As much as I enjoyed the game, I felt a huge relief to be through with it due to its difficulty and now I'm mainly concerned about the difficulty and the time commitment that the DLC will bring.

Is the DLC that good that I need to extend upon the prior-resolved base game experience?
You can either play through NG+ till you reach the DLC content or start a new character - Since you haven't played NG+ at all, it would be exactly the same, except for starting NG+ with all your gear from NG (plus the higher difficulty of course).

The DLC is 3 areas and 4 bosses, but imo it's not that big and the difficulty is definately at the higher end in comparison to the rest of the game. The bosses especially offer a challenge.

To complete the DLC stuff wouldn't take too long, it's not very big - but as I said you would have to go through about half of the regular game to get to the DLC content - you can access it only after getting the Lord Vessel (gives the ability to warp between bonfires after beating Ornstein & Smough), and that is not carried over to NG+ you have to get it a fresh.

If you enjoyed the game originally and want more, DLC is worth it - If you never touched the game again after beating it and dread the thought of doing so, you'd be wasting your money and time.

Oh god why did I choose to cosplay as Lautrec out of all the characters?

Joined the darkwraiths at SL23, got the red eye orb and just invading randomly at the undead chapel and depth. I don't usually go for the kill immediately, sometimes I just hang around and mess with people a little or let them kill me, but I will murder any white phantom without hesitation. Playing without a shield is really tough, as is using a shotel, the damn weapon has zero range and can't stun for shit, the only time I get any hit is when people try to block the heavy attack because they don't know it goes through shields.

Maybe I should cosplay Shiva instead.

The DLC sale is going to be available until march. Or at least, that's what I read somewhere.

I'm still debating if I should get it or not.

Awesome, thanks. If I didn't pick it up for ~$7 I'd be kicking myself over it later.

Just got summoned in the Depths, along with another phantom. When we start fighting Gaping Dragon some douche starts slinging spells on us from the balcony leading down to the arena. What's the point of that?

Arjen

Awesome, thanks. If I didn't pick it up for ~$7 I'd be kicking myself over it later.

Just got summoned in the Depths, along with another phantom. When we start fighting Gaping Dragon some douche starts slinging spells on us from the balcony leading down to the arena. What's the point of that?

Uh, that's a regular enemy. You can kill him before fighting Gaping Dragon.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Guys, want to ask you folks something; it's for the Prepare to Die Edition for the Xbox360.

I just bought this from someone but as far as I could see there's no difference whatsoever between this "new version" I bought and the vanilla version. I mean, the intro screen is the same and everything all that. Note that I haven't played the game for more than, probably, 10 minutes before.

What's the difference and where I can tell that the one I bought is the Prepare to Die Edition? Cause maybe I am getting bamboozled here, gah. Is "prepare to die" writing splashed anywhere within the intro/menu screen or not?

Guys, want to ask you folks something; it's for the Prepare to Die Edition for the Xbox360.

I just bought this from someone but as far as I could see there's no difference whatsoever between this "new version" I bought and the vanilla version. I mean, the intro screen is the same and everything all that. Note that I haven't played the game for more than, probably, 10 minutes before.

What's the difference and where I can tell that the one I bought is the Prepare to Die Edition? Cause maybe I am getting bamboozled here, gah. Is "prepare to die" writing splashed anywhere within the intro/menu screen or not?

No, I think it's just the base game + Artorias of the Abyss.

Sup? I am just getting to Sen's Fortress. I have been using a broadsword and I like it but I turned it into a RAW broadsword and I think I made a mistake. What should I have done/do?

Seanspeed

Banned
Sup? I am just getting to Sen's Fortress. I have been using a broadsword and I like it but I turned it into a RAW broadsword and I think I made a mistake. What should I have done/do?
Raw weapons are for short-term gain. They are good at first, but not as good as a properly upgraded version. There's much better weapons than the standard broadsword, though, so its not a big loss. Try some other ones out, find one you like and think about upgrading it as much as possible normally. If the upgrading process is confusing, check a guide for it.

I'd go into more detail, but its better to discover this stuff on your own. Of course, if you're still lost as to what to do, check back here. One hint-> the serpent dudes you fight have a pretty cool sword, dont they? ;)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
If you really don't like it raw, you can turn it back to normal at a blacksmith.

So the menu screen doesn't display anything different?

How big is the install size?

Sorry if I am being too bothersome, thanks man.
My Dark Souls PC install folder is 3.8 gigs.

Menu screen has a number of PC graphics options but they are pretty minimal. You can use DSFix to tweak the graphics and settings, though.

The DLC sale is going to be available until march. Or at least, that's what I read somewhere.

I'm still debating if I should get it or not.
If it's not much money, I'd definitely recommend playing the DLC. It has some of the best boss fights in the game, plus a healthy amount of content/lore/equipment/spells. And also the best humanity farming area in the game.

The DLC is definitely worth playing, but it sounds like you could use a break from Dark Souls in general before tackling it.

How the hell do you backstab silver knights? Seems completely random for me.
Silver/Black Knights have a number of moves where their "back" (the back of their hitbox for backstab purposes) isn't where their physical back is while their move animation is playing. Try to guess their hitbox orientation rather than watching their physical back when getting an angle for a backstab.

Hey guys, when you're just standing there doing nothing and a burst of light seems to explode and get absorbed by your character, what's going on exactly?

Without spoiling anything, turning a broadsword raw is the best possible use for it.

So the menu screen doesn't display anything different?

How big is the install size?

Sorry if I am being too bothersome, thanks man.

Nope, it just adds some new locations/enemies/gear later in the game - from what I hear it melds pretty seamlessly with the rest, which I like. The title screen should remain as it is. Think of it sort of like a GOTY edition with all the DLC pre-loaded.

Unfortunately I'm not sure on the install size, sorry. =(

Sorral

Hey guys, when you're just standing there doing nothing and a burst of light seems to explode and get absorbed by your character, what's going on exactly?

I'm not sure about 'explode' but it should be someone kindling a nearby bonfire to you or the bonfire you used last. I think it is pretty much the latter. This gives you an extra flask. If no extra flasks, then uhh I can't think of anything else short of an enemy falling and dying somewhere which gives souls.

I'm not sure about 'explode' but it should be someone kindling a nearby bonfire to you or the bonfire you used last. I think it is pretty much the latter. This gives you an extra flask. If no extra flasks, then uhh I can't think of anything else short of an enemy falling and dying somewhere which gives souls.

Pretty sure it's the kindling thing

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

6for8

I have one friend on my PSN list that has latest Dark Souls release. When playing it his status reads “Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition”. His Dark Souls saves can’t be used by his PTD copy and I imagine he is getting new trophies as well. 360 version should be the same so just have a friend check your status when running the game.

So I'm slowly making my way towards the Dark Soul achievement and after crunching the numbers the other day I realized I will have to beat the game at least two more times with the same character. Gah.

This is difficult for me. I'd much rather start new games and experiment with different playstyles/builds than keep going through the game with the same character and equipment on NG+ and beyond.

All I have left are Knight's Honor, Prayer of a Maiden and a smattering of the weapon reinforcement achievements. KH and PoaM will be the real pains in my ass, the others shouldn't be too bad.

Also, how rare exactly is the Channeler's Trident? In my 250+ hours it has never dropped for me, ever. Admittedly I've yet to go out of my way to farm it, but I've still never seen it. I just wanna dance, baby.

I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough and I've been trying to level up sparingly so that I can stay within relatively safe co-op ranges for the remaining areas. I'm currently level 40 and I want to level up to 50 before I start Anor Londo. If I level up to 50 would that make me too high a level for areas like the Catacombs or Darkroot Garden?

Also, how rare exactly is the Channeler's Trident? In my 250+ hours it has never dropped for me, ever. Admittedly I've yet to go out of my way to farm it, but I've still never seen it. I just wanna dance, baby.
It's rare, but with the serpent ring and 10 humanity it shouldn't take too long to get in Dukes.

The Ghost Blade is way more annoying because the run is a lot longer - think I'm right in saying that doesn't count towards the achievement though.

It's rare, but with the serpent ring and 10 humanity it shouldn't take too long to get in Dukes.

The Ghost Blade is way more annoying because the run is a lot longer - think I'm right in saying that doesn't count towards the achievement though.

Yeah, thank you jeebus that the Ghost Blade isn't counted for the achievement. And neither is the Titanite Catch Pole, fortunately.

I'm still in the middle of my first playthrough and I've been trying to level up sparingly so that I can stay within relatively safe co-op ranges for the remaining areas. I'm currently level 40 and I want to level up to 50 before I start Anor Londo. If I level up to 50 would that make me too high a level for areas like the Catacombs or Darkroot Garden?

You'd be over leveled for the Catacombs for sure, but it's not a particularly tough area to begin with. It's only a major challenge if you rush it at the start of the game. I also don't think it's a particularly popular co-op area.

You'd also probably be a bit ahead of the curve for PvE in Darkroot, but if you're gonna do PvP there it's a crap-shoot. As far as I know, there aren't really any level caps for Forest Hunter invasions. You should also be able to find summon signs with no problem.

Just finished the painted world. Loved loved loved loved it. The atmosphere was insaneeee. And of course I put the divine hammer down on
crossbreed Priscilla.

Now I actually have to go through Anor Londo... Can't wait to get the lord vessel.

Arjen

I got the trident from the first channeler in the dukes on the first run. Only realised how lucky i was until I was Going for the achievement.

it happened to me as well :(
they ended the sale before 5th february so i couldnt buy it for 7.99€ on PS store.

it's on sale now on the US store i think but then it wont work with my main account (EU)

I'm pretty sure the US DLC won't work on the EU version.
Too bad about the premature end of the EU sale. The new content is fun, but I'm not going to pay full price for it when they pull this kind of crap with the sale, and I already have the content on the PC version.
So in stead I went and got all the achievements on the PC version (already platinum'd the PS3 one a year ago).
Feels good, man.
Only bummer about not having the DLC on the console, besides the obvious, is being somewhat gimped on the PvP side of the game (no new spells, and Oolacile Township is a popular place...).

Picked up my large divine ember, white titanite slab, and Paladin armor set in the Tomb of the Giants. Purcahsed Wrath of God from Rhea. My faith build is now a-go. Maybe I can finally kill an invader for once, or at least get a fight that lasts for more than a second.

How do you guys pronounce Smough? Smaug or Smoff? Great boss fight. Solo'd them and succeeded on my third try.

In my opinion the Trident is the most annoying because the enemies there are so annoying :p

Picked up my large divine ember, white titanite slab, and Paladin armor set in the Tomb of the Giants. Purcahsed Wrath of God from Rhea. My faith build is now a-go. Maybe I can finally kill an invader for once, or at least get a fight that lasts for more than a second.

How do you guys pronounce Smough? Smaug or Smoff? Great boss fight. Solo'd them and succeeded on my third try.

The consensus seems to be Smo'.
Ornstein though... I think I have yet to hear someone use the (true?) German pronunciation of it.

789shadow

Banned
Gentlemen, I tried to backstab the Black Knight in Undead Burg, but all I really did was a pathetic weak attack. So, how DO you backstab?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Gentlemen, I tried to backstab the Black Knight in Undead Burg, but all I really did was a pathetic weak attack. So, how DO you backstab?

Get behind enemy, press R1/RB. With your shield down.

It's probably because you didn't let off the block fully before you inputted the attack.

SJRB

Gold Member

The Black Knight is not the best enemy to practice backstabs on, since a mistake could easily get you killed. You're better off practicing with the undead soldiers.

Backstab is completely dependent on placement: you basically want to position yourself at the back of your enemy. Be sure you've locked on to make this easier. Backstab is done with the regular R1 attack, assuming you're lined up properly. Be sure your shield is not raised, and be sure the enemy is not in an attack animation - the enemy has to be in "idle" stance.

It's not an exact science and there are lots of moments where it won't work because you're two inches off. But still, it's an extremely powerful move that is definately worth practicing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom