• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, lightning spear is so godlike. It totally kicked paladin leeroys ass and gravelord nitos as well. I used it to own the hell kite dragon as well. Praise the sun!

Killed my first invader tonight. lol, we both fell on each other's blades. "YOU DIED" followed by "so-and-so vanquished" with a souls reward. Nice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So people, possible to complete this game + prepare to die content completely alone, with no online whatsoever?

I think I am gonna do the plunge soon. Give me important notes/clues as well as places where I can obtain important resources to achieve that goal please :)

So people, possible to complete this game + prepare to die content completely alone, with no online whatsoever?

I think I am gonna do the plunge soon. Give me important notes/clues as well as places where I can obtain important resources to achieve that goal please :)

Maybe combine that with no level-ups and no upgrades too
emot-smug.gif

The game isn't (outside the bosses) that much harder offline: mostly because invaders aren't a problem. I think the online components work way better anyway AFTER you have figured out the basics, which is pretty much after the midpoint of the game.

Absolutely achievable. Would you want to miss out on all the online fun though? It adds a lot to the game.

I don't think there's any special items you would want to get in order to do it, there are a good few decent weapons you can get very early in the game that can carry you through the whole game (when you upgrade them of course) - and in general upgrading you weapon is more important than levelling up.

Oh, don't get the Drake sword, it's a trap. It might give you easy mode for the first couple of areas but it's easily outclassed once you upgrade most other weapons.

yamo

So, been gone from this game for over a month due to a business trip and can hardly remember what I was doing last time I played. If I remember correctly the last areas i completed was The Catacombs and Sen's Fortress, but i'm kinda clueless where to go now?

Should I continue into the Tomb of Giants (dark place) or go to Anor Londo? Or even some other place?

I'm playing as a mage/sorcerer type of character so would be nice with any place that can give me more spells etc.

So, been gone from this game for over a month due to a business trip and can hardly remember what I was doing last time I played. If I remember correctly the last areas i completed was The Catacombs and Sen's Fortress, but i'm kinda clueless where to go now?

Should I continue into the Tomb of Giants (dark place) or go to Anor Londo? Or even some other place?

I'm playing as a mage/sorcerer type of character so would be nice with any place that can give me more spells etc.
You can't access the Tomb of Giants boss until you have the Lord Vessel, which is obtained after defeating the Anor Londo boss, so Anor Londo would be the logical path.

Once you get the Lord Vessel you also open up Dukes Archives which is magic-heaven! :)

Boogdud

The game isn't (outside the bosses) that much harder offline: mostly because invaders aren't a problem. I think the online components work way better anyway AFTER you have figured out the basics, which is pretty much after the midpoint of the game.

Hmm, see I think I've restored my humanity 2 times the entire game (I'm about 85-90% done). The only 'invasion' I ever had was the npc one in the bottom of blighttown. Am I just doing it wrong? Is there some benefit to being human? I've been human for one boss fight (bell tower) other than that I've been hollow the whole time, including killing O&S the first time facing them.

Hmm, see I think I've restored my humanity 2 times the entire game (I'm about 85-90% done). The only 'invasion' I ever had was the npc one in the bottom of blighttown. Am I just doing it wrong? Is there some benefit to being human? I've been human for one boss fight (bell tower) other than that I've been hollow the whole time, including killing O&S the first time facing them.

The benefit is that you can play online. The downside is that you might get invaded. But defeating invaders give you tons of souls. So it's a reward/risk/reward-system. Getting invaded can take a while depending on your level/area/luck.

Also active humanity rises your stats. The more active humanity you have the better your stats get (but the rise isn't that significant that you would notice it).

Playing online is tons of fun too so there's that :p

tafer

The amount of douchebags with super gears invading the initial levels makes playing as human quit frustrating. And that's quite sad, since you are missing a lot of stuff.

ZeroCoin

I've been working on my SL1 pyromancer the past week. Just finished ringing the second bell and am considering starting on sen's soon. My weapon needs some upgrades before I can really tackle that one though. So I decided to just hang out in the burg and help some other people get through the taurus demon and bell gargoyles. Surprised to see a lot of geared out invaders going after some of these guys.

I've put my SL1 completely on the backburner. I did try Artorias about 4/5 times and I was doing OK, using great combustion, but tbh I just don't have the patience of the trial and error of getting his attack patterns down and running back from the Sanctuary bonfire every time. The thing that gets me is that straight thrust, I can't seem to roll dodge it, so I block - sometimes it works, other times it seems to hit through the shield, hard. I guess I'm not watching my stamina bar as closely as a should. Any way, I will probably come back to it on occasion, but I'm done for now. I did a SL1 run before DLC, so I did that at least. The DLC bosses tested my limits for sure!

atm I'm trying to make builds using weapons I've never used before. The Pike and warpick are two things I've never used. It's easy to stick with old faithfuls, but the game gives a lot of scope for individuality if you want it to.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've put my SL1 completely on the backburner. I did try Artorias about 4/5 times and I was doing OK, using great combustion, but tbh I just don't have the patience of the trial and error of getting his attack patterns down and running back from the Sanctuary bonfire every time. The thing that gets me is that straight thrust, I can't seem to roll dodge it, so I block - sometimes it works, other times it seems to hit through the shield, hard. I guess I'm not watching my stamina bar as closely as a should. Any way, I will probably come back to it on occasion, but I'm done for now. I did a SL1 run before DLC, so I did that at least. The DLC bosses tested my limits for sure!
That thrust gets me too, because it looks pretty similar to a dashing slash move that he does, and the roll timings on the moves are totally different. I think at close range, his thrust hits multiple times, so it might be breaking through your shield if you're blocking it.

I kinda want to try running through the game again with weird weapons too, but I think my SL1 kind of doubled with that because I never seriously used crossbows, daggers, clubs or even pyromancy until my SL1 run.

Celegus

The benefit is that you can play online. The downside is that you might get invaded. But defeating invaders give you tons of souls. So it's a reward/risk/reward-system. Getting invaded can take a while depending on your level/area/luck.

Also active humanity rises your stats. The more active humanity you have the better your stats get (but the rise isn't that significant that you would notice it).

Playing online is tons of fun too so there's that :p

This does make me curious how many other people are out there like me. The two Souls games are easily my favorites of this entire gen, but honestly, the summoning others and invasion systems did not appeal to me in the least. I played Demon's Souls offline and Dark Souls hollow or offline the whole time. I much preferred the solo experience, and only did as much multiplayer as was necessary to get both platinum trophies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This does make me curious how many other people are out there like me. The two Souls games are easily my favorites of this entire gen, but honestly, the summoning others and invasion systems did not appeal to me in the least. I played Demon's Souls offline and Dark Souls hollow or offline the whole time. I much preferred the solo experience, and only did as much multiplayer as was necessary to get both platinum trophies.
Personally I have little to no interest in the PvP because about 80-90% of the time you always run into some douche who does crap that I don't consider fun:
- starting the fight around enemies to give himself an advantage
- using unfair builds/weapons that I cannot get at that stage in the game
- spamming maxed fire tempest, Wrath of the Gods or dark magic
- lagstabs
- generally acting like a dick.

Having said that, I do like the co-op aspect of the game. I used to just sit around boss areas with my summoning sign down to help random people with bosses.

My first playthrough of DkS was almost entirely hollow. I only played with turning human form in subsequent playthroughs.

I've tried to restrict my online activities to helping others, at least for my first playthrough. I prefer to solo bosses on my own but help out others once I'm done. PVP is a huge mixed bag, though. Sometimes you run into a good duel - sometimes your opponent just starts chugging humanity.

Dwayne

Can anyone confirm if the artbook/cd/dvd in this set:
DARK-SOULS-LIMITED-EDITION-PS3-Jelatinde-SFR-PAL__47572768_0.jpg

is the same as the ones in this set?
dark-souls-prepare-to-die.jpg

Prepare to Die PC edition is on special at the moment, I was planning to buy PS3 but temptation sinks in.

Akito

The artbook found in the PC PtD edition is a completely new one, it has more pages and many new artworks (compared to the one in the LE console version).

ArynCrinn

Banned
Personally I have little to no interest in the PvP because about 80-90% of the time you always run into some douche who does crap that I don't consider fun:
- starting the fight around enemies to give himself an advantage

It can be hilarious though when you're on the giving end of that. Encountering a camper in the Burg who waits for low level Darkwraith's like me, and then hiding out and using enemies to piss them off while gesturing is awesome. Just used the Armored Pig to grief somebody pretty hard, while gesturing and throwing Dung Pies. Good times.

It can be hilarious though when you're on the giving end of that. Encountering a camper in the Burg who waits for low level Darkwraith's like me, and then hiding out and using enemies to piss them off while gesturing is awesome. Just used the Armored Pig to grief somebody pretty hard, while gesturing and throwing Dung Pies. Good times.

I would have just stood there until you got bored and left. Invaders always fight on my terms, whether I win or lose.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I would have just stood there until you got bored and left. Invaders always fight on my terms, whether I win or lose.

Nah, if he wanted to play the waiting game I would have just covered his world in Prism Stones and spammed him with Dung Pies and Poison Knives/arrows until he came to me. For instance, great trolling happens when you toxic a host and they try to use a moss or heal...run up to them and punch them or kick them and run away and spam more Dung Pies. Eventually, most people just stop caring and charge head on and die.

More often than not I'll win the duel anyway if lag isn't a issue, but trolling is probably more fun than anything online-wise. Especially when they summon phantoms. I usually always drop a couple Large Shards or +5/+10 gear if their obviously new players.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nah, if he wanted to play the waiting game I would have just covered his world in Prism Stones and spammed him with Dung Pies and Poison Knives/arrows until he came to me. For instance, great trolling happens when you toxic a host and they try to use a moss or heal...run up to them and punch them or kick them and run away and spam more Dung Pies. Eventually, most people just stop caring and charge head on and die.

I would rather commit suicide than give you the satisfaction in a situation like that.

Also, about the being human thing, you've gotta be human once in a while to kindle bonfires. The game can be difficult if you're running through tough areas and only 5 Estus flasks on a 1st playthrough. 10 seemed ideal for me. If you really need more than that, you're probably doing something wrong. I always felt like getting 15 or more was just insurance more than anything.

More often than not I'll win the duel anyway if lag isn't a issue, but trolling is probably more fun than anything online-wise. Especially when they summon phantoms. I usually always drop a couple Large Shards or +5/+10 gear if their obviously new players.

Last time someone tried that on me they lost their patience and charged me when I kept dodging their dung. Granted, they still won because they were twinking in the Depths and I had only been playing a couple days. But I've never had a battle of attrition I couldn't wait out.

tafer

I would rather commit suicide than give you the satisfaction in a situation like that.

Also, about the being human thing, you've gotta be human once in a while to kindle bonfires. The game can be difficult if you're running through tough areas and only 5 Estus flasks on a 1st playthrough. 10 seemed ideal for me. If you really need more than that, you're probably doing something wrong. I always felt like getting 15 or more was just insurance more than anything.

Same here, I just look for a nice spot near the bonfire and commit suicide.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Last time someone tried that on me they lost their patience and charged me when I kept dodging their dung. Granted, they still won because they were twinking in the Depths and I had only been playing a couple days. But I've never had a battle of attrition I couldn't wait out.

Honestly the best thing to do to a troll invader is troll back. I've had arguably the funniest moments when me and another player were just fucking with each other. Dung Pie dodge practices one after another, gesture battles, prism stone games, Force battles, fist slugfests, the list goes on. I see a lot of new players who take invasions way too seriously instead of looking at it as fun opportunities.

Honestly the best thing to do to a troll invader is troll back. I've had arguably the funniest moments when me and another player were just fucking with each other. Dung Pie dodge practices one after another, gesture battles, prism stone games, Force battles, fist slugfests, the list goes on. I see a lot of new players who take invasions way too seriously instead of looking at it as fun opportunities.

Yeah, I try not to worry about it too much, but I'm still waiting on one of those cool invaders of which you speak. Every time I bow to an invader to begin an honorable duel I just get backstabbed.

Here's how I've been invading lately with my SL40 character. I've been roleplaying as a Darkwraith with an irrational hatred for white phantoms, if I see the player is obviously a veteran I'll go all out and use everything at my disposal to kill him. But if I invade a new player who is obviously underpowered, I'll use a weak weapon and spar with them for a while(I usually use that opportunity to practice parrying a little), I'll let them heal so that will be a fairer fight. After a while, if they haven't killed me yet, I'll just bow and leave. But the moment I see a white phantom, I'll go into full berserk mode, disregard the host completely and take out my chaos +5 weapon, take a bee-line towards him and go swing like a mad man on him. After I brutally murder the white phantoms, I usually just leave. It's pretty entertaining especially when the host freaks out when he sees me 2-shot the white phantom and is walking slowly towards him.

sixghost

Jesus Christ, lost izalith is fucking awful. Easily the worst environment, worst enemies, worst boss. God I'm glad that's over.

Worst boss, worst enemies, both frustrating as hell. That area is truly a stain on the game. I never play through the game without saving up 30 humanity for the shortcut.
So does getting summoned for co-op/connecting for invasions become more or less common in NG+?

The only thing that matters is whether you are in the proper soul level range for the area you are in. Summons and invasions become much more common when you get to SL120, since that is the level that most people stop leveling.

tafer

So does getting summoned for co-op/connecting for invasions become more or less common in NG+?

I think pvp improves drastically in NG+. Not only you can stay human without much problem, summons are common and you now stand a chance against invaders.

Just keep in mind that some invaders use some extremely annoying tactics and you will find some skilled players that are quite difficult to face... so don't feel bad if someone destroys you.

I don't understand the present hate for Lost Izalith. I mean the dragon butts are not even agressive if you do it right with the latest patches. You can simply run past them and get to the hidden bonfire...

What gates were opened when I placed the Lordvessel? I only recognised the one from Anor Londo to the Duke's Archives

Created Smough's hammer thing, the Greatsword of Artorias and Quelaag's Fury

I'm too weak for the first two, but Quelaag's Fury is brilliant, although it causes me to become a bit cocky and leave myself open for quick hits

Dyno

I made the Greatsword of Artorias and my deprived character can use it!

It's pretty looking and looks a bit longer than the Black Knight Sword I've been using. The R2 is pretty nifty : a walk up and stab low-to-high move that knocks people back. Damage-wise it's nearly 100 more than the BKS but it's magical and physical... Don't know if that is even better. Against Silver Knights and Sentinels it seems to do a bit less damage.

My stats are really spread out now (all 16 to 24 except Resistance.) I'm thinking of pumping Faith to 30 so that I can use the Greater Lightning Spear (which I already have.) After that maybe see what arcane spells need and then pump my Magic past 20.) Both attributes will increase the damage of my sword.

Anyone make an Artorias character? What development did you do once you got the shiny sword?

It's pretty looking and looks a bit longer than the Black Knight Sword I've been using. The R2 is pretty nifty : a walk up and stab low-to-high move that knocks people back. Damage-wise it's nearly 100 more than the BKS but it's magical and physical... Don't know if that is even better. Against Silver Knights and Sentinels it seems to do a bit less damage.

My stats are really spread out now (all 16 to 24 except Resistance.) I'm thinking of pumping Faith to 30 so that I can use the Greater Lightning Spear (which I already have.) After that maybe see what arcane spells need and then pump my Magic past 20.) Both attributes will increase the damage of my sword.

Anyone make an Artorias character? What development did you do once you got the shiny sword?

Are you double-handing it? I'm short on Faith and Intelligence :(

Ziek

What gates were opened when I placed the Lordvessel? I only recognised the one from Anor Londo to the Duke's Archives

Created Smough's hammer thing, the Greatsword of Artorias and Quelaag's Fury

I'm too weak for the first two, but Quelaag's Fury is brilliant, although it causes me to become a bit cocky and leave myself open for quick hits

Sounds like you're not using a guide? I'm trying not to either. I just placed the lord vessel too. I found one in the Catacombs. I'm guessing that is where Nito's soul is.

Sounds like you're not using a guide? I'm trying not to either. I just placed the lord vessel too. I found one in the Catacombs. I'm guessing that is where Nito's soul is.

I'm kind of using the wikia when I get confused or need a hand with stats/characters/weapons/bonfires, but trying to go through without too much help.

I'm down to 4 open and unexplored areas

Duke's Archives
Demon Ruins
New Londo
Catacombs

Still not sure I'm ready for the Demon Ruins, might try out New Londo

Sullichin

Every single Artorias sword sucks. They're not worth making unless you have a very specific build around it and even then, eh.

But this is an artorias build I started making for lordsoul area invasions, not sure if i will follow through with it
http://mmdks.com/1486

Knight Artorias is kicking my ass right now after 4 tries. I'm pretty sure I've got the right strategy down, but when he jumps away and starts powering up sometimes he's halfway done by the time I get there and I can't stagger him. I'm SL70 with a Divine Halberd +10 and I feel like I'm doing scratch damage to these DLC bosses.

Dresden

Knight Artorias is kicking my ass right now after 4 tries. I'm pretty sure I've got the right strategy down, but when he jumps away and starts powering up sometimes he's halfway done by the time I get there and I can't stagger him. I'm SL70 with a Divine Halberd +10 and I feel like I'm doing scratch damage to these DLC bosses.

Split damage gets slammed hard against the DLC bosses.

Booshka

Split damage gets slammed hard against the DLC bosses.

Yep, and magic buffs dont do a whole lot either. Best bet is pure physical, or mostly magic damage. If you can make Occult weapons instead if your faith is high, they split more toward magic than 50/50 magic-physical like Divine does, so you usually yield better damage.

It's tough to stagger Artorias alone, best to stay close to him and 2H your weapon when he retreats to power up, then just spam R1 attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom