• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

I did some legit invading with level and area appropriate gear. I would only use Rings/Weapons/Shields and Armor that most players would have access to, and would never upgrade my weapons or armor past what was feasible with embers. I used +5 weapons before Depths, then Raw +5 up to Sen's fortress. None of my armor was crazy either, usually just starter gear upgraded to +3 or +6.

I had a lot of fun, and won most of my fights, just because I played better and had more PvP experience, but I didn't one shot MLG Pro #YOLOSWAG a bunch of noobs and "Well! What is it!" over their corpse like some asshole. Got a good amount of nice mail from people who were refreshed by a legit invader.

Hey there, already a ways into my DaS run and I am trying to do it all myself, just wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving me a nudge in the right direction. I've kinda gotten stuck because I cant proceed any further in the catacombs (too fucking dark, giant skeletons in giants cave), I got a key to the new londo ruins from a corpse but when I went underground I couldnt find a door to use it on. I've already just made a first small foray into blighttown (dat frameset) but yeah just not sure the best way to go. I've cleared darkroot but haven't purchased the artorias crest...

Arjen

Hey there, already a ways into my DaS run and I am trying to do it all myself, just wondering if someone wouldn't mind giving me a nudge in the right direction. I've kinda gotten stuck because I cant proceed any further in the catacombs (too fucking dark, giant skeletons in giants cave), I got a key to the new londo ruins from a corpse but when I went underground I couldnt find a door to use it on. I've already just made a first small foray into blighttown (dat frameset) but yeah just not sure the best way to go. I've cleared darkroot but haven't purchased the artorias crest...

You need to ring two bells, one up, one down below.
That's a nudge in the right direction, let me know if you want me to flat out tell you where to go.

Soulhouf

I did some legit invading with level and area appropriate gear. I would only use Rings/Weapons/Shields and Armor that most players would have access to, and would never upgrade my weapons or armor past what was feasible with embers. I used +5 weapons before Depths, then Raw +5 up to Sen's fortress. None of my armor was crazy either, usually just starter gear upgraded to +3 or +6.

I had a lot of fun, and won most of my fights, just because I played better and had more PvP experience, but I didn't one shot MLG Pro #YOLOSWAG a bunch of noobs and "Well! What is it!" over their corpse like some asshole. Got a good amount of nice mail from people who were refreshed by a legit invader.

Nice!
I wish all invaders behave like you.

BTW my quality build is now SL98 if you want to do some coop on PS3.
Remaining areas/bosses:
Tomb of the Giants, Painted World and Gwindolyn.

Did a lot of farming in New Londo for materials and now I have a large choice among weapons.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you can get through the Catacombs, you should be good to go for Blighttown.

Dyno

I'm having fun with my 'Greatsword of Artorias' character. This is a character I started as Deprived and got my stats to Str. 24, Dex. 18, Int. 20, Fai. 20 so that when I could make the Greatsword I could use it. In the meanwhile I use whatever weapons and spells I can use with these stats.

I have been loving using Great Soul Arrow in one hand and Lightning Spear in the other. Great Soul Arrow can be fired every two seconds, the Lightning Spear can be fired every four seconds. Getting good with them has been a blast! For melee I swich to Black Knight Sword or Astora's Straight Sword and a shield.

I Sunbro'ed for a while and earned enough medals to get the Great Lightning Spear for later in the game. Since that's all I was going to get out of the Covenant with this character I switched to Forest Hunter. The PvP is brutal in the forest! There is some professional ganking going on in there but I managed to kill enough hosts to get the Fog Ring.

It's been very different playing this kind of character and you get to use a wide variety of equipment. It's a great way to replay the game!

If you can get through the Catacombs, you should be good to go for Blighttown.

Ah ok sounds good. I've already rung the church bell. The maneaters were way harder than the gargoyles. It just seems odd the way that in order to get there you have to go through the drakes which while easy, have a jacked hp rating. But once I get into the blight town proper the enemies all go down like bitches. I'm hoping to find a dark knight in blightown with a mace I can use :)

Doing the catacombs was a nightmare prior to getting my divine mace. Kicking skeletons to their death or letting them roll off a cliff is not a viable long term strategy lol.

It just seems odd the way that in order to get there you have to go through the drakes which while easy, have a jacked hp rating. But once I get into the blight town proper the enemies all go down like bitches.
Valley Of The Drakes is the back entrance to Blighttown. Although you can avoid the drakes themselves completely, but it at least explains the difficulty spike between the two from a game design pov.

Doing the catacombs was a nightmare prior to getting my divine mace. Kicking skeletons to their death or letting them roll off a cliff is not a viable long term strategy lol.
The Necromancers don't respawn so taking them out means the skeletons don't ressurrect. I'm in Catacombs atm with a fresh character and think this is the most fun area for this kind of stuff. I love using Force to blast them off the edge, same in the forest - I always take out the NPC forest hunters by kicking them/blasting them off the cliff edges!

Does it matter which entrance I take to get into blighttown? Also I know about the necromancers, just seems like much further down there are skellies tied to no necro, I could be wrong. So many things remind me of DS. The catacombs are just like 4-1 with the witches and ghosts.

Really enjoying the game so far, but I actually feel like its kind of easy. Most of the bosses I beat either first or second try. I remember dying over 14 times to the man eaters alone...

chunk3rvd

Does it matter which entrance I take to get into blighttown? Also I know about the necromancers, just seems like much further down there are skellies tied to no necro, I could be wrong. So many things remind me of DS. The catacombs are just like 4-1 with the witches and ghosts.

Really enjoying the game so far, but I actually feel like its kind of easy. Most of the bosses I beat either first or second try. I remember dying over 14 times to the man eaters alone...

Have you beaten Capra Demon yet and been through the Depths? Sounds like you should give that a try if it's your first time through the game and that opens up the front entrance to Blighttown

Have you beaten Capra Demon yet and been through the Depths? Sounds like you should give that a try if it's your first time through the game and that opens up the front entrance to Blighttown

I beat the capra demon no problem. The front door to blight town is in that area? I freed the guy and popped open the gate by the ninjas but didn't see anything. Guess I can check back there later.

hayguyz

Banned
I beat the capra demon no problem. The front door to blight town is in that area? I freed the guy and popped open the gate by the ninjas but didn't see anything. Guess I can check back there later.

Capra Demon drops the key for the Depths, which leads to the entrance to Blighttown

It doesn't really matter which way you go into Blighttown - nothing is blocked off to you by going in the back way, but the Depths entrance is the "front" entrance because it's one way otherwise. That is, just like to get into the Depths by killing Capra Demon you have to kill the Depths boss to get the key to Blighttown, you can walk all the way back to the Depths door from the other end of Blighttown, but you can't open the door from that side.

If you use the Drakes entrance, you go straight to the swamp area and it's quick access to the boss, but there are a lot of tasty items you can miss by not exploring the upper shanty town area of Blighttown. But remember it's one way if you go up there and haven't opened the Depths door (homebone back is easiest)

Started this today. Rolled a Cleric just to get my feet wet, I don't actually plan on committing to that course. I beat the asylum demon on my first try by chucking bombs at him. Is this an appropriate use of bombs or should I be saving them for something else (or choosing another gift entirely)?

Sullichin

Started this today. Rolled a Cleric just to get my feet wet, I don't actually plan on committing to that course. I beat the asylum demon on my first try by chucking bombs at him. Is this an appropriate use of bombs or should I be saving them for something else (or choosing another gift entirely)?

The bombs are for people who want to kill him during the first encounter and get his drop (demon great hammer). But, when he first drops down a door opens in the back-left of the room, you're supposed to run away from the fight and you'll wind up there later when you have your weapon to fight with (as opposed to a broken sword hilt). He's much easier then.

The bombs are for people who want to kill him during the first encounter and get his drop (demon great hammer). But, when he first drops down a door opens in the back-left of the room, you're supposed to run away from the fight and you'll wind up there later when you have your weapon to fight with (as opposed to a broken sword hilt). He's much easier then.

Yeah, I noticed I was getting prompts about it later even after he was dead - I'll try that on my second go-around. Thanks.

oracrest

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I only realized this little homage a few days ago...

demon_soul.jpg

jPWl9.jpg

Noticed a few days ago that the Artorias of the Abyss add-on was on sale on EU PSN. The sale said it will last until 4th or 5th of february, so I didn't rush to buy it.
Now I turn on my PS3, go to the store, find the "7,95€" slot for Artorias, but when selecting it, it shows the regular price of 13€. The text about the discount and it lasting till the 5th are gone.
What gives? I was ready to double dip on the DLC, but not with that price...

Edit: After fiddling with the store, the "7,95€" slot for Artorias disappeared. Guess I just got punkd by Scamco. Even the HotUKDeals thread shows it expiring five days from now.

Been playing a Pyro, i'm level 38 and starting Blighttown.
I've only increased Strength (health & stamina as well) but no dext.

What's bugging me is that I'm still using the first Axe that you find in the game (upgraded to +4, doing ~160 dmg if i remember correctly)
I didn't take the Drake Sword as I felt it was kind of cheating but i didn't find anything better in terms of weapons

i've dozens of broken and low damages swords but nothing interesting that requires strength

did I miss something? I'm also wearing the full armor set that you can find behind the giants in the forest before the butterfly boss (I did a run to get it earlier in my playthrough) + the shield that refills your stamina quicker (i don't remember any weapons' name)

tafer

Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I only realized this little homage a few days ago...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/Dark%20Souls/demon_soul.jpg[MG]

[IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/Dark%20Souls/jPWl9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's pretty awesome.

What's bugging me is that I'm still using the first Axe that you find in the game (upgraded to +4, doing ~160 dmg if i remember correctly)
I didn't take the Drake Sword as I felt it was kind of cheating but i didn't find anything better in terms of weapons

i've dozens of broken and low damages swords but nothing interesting that requires strength

did I miss something? I'm also wearing the full armor set that you can find behind the giants in the forest before the butterfly boss (I did a run to get it earlier in my playthrough) + the shield that refills your stamina quicker (i don't remember any weapons' name)

It's just like in demons souls where each weapon has a stat modifier that directly affects how your levels multiply the damage of the weapon. If you look in the status of the weapon, it probably has a "d" rating which means all of that strength isn't really contributing to making the weapon more effective. as you get Better weapons and level them up it will change the rating and allow you to really crank out the damage.

Also, I found the depths, shit was pretty easy. When I saw the gaping dragon I just said "oh... Ok" beat him first try though. I've gotta go back tonight though, I want to take a swing at that big rat boss. Come at me rat bro.

Edit: I actually noticed that picture similarity on my first playthrough. When the guy went hollow and I was fighting the dark knight at the same time, the dark knight actually backstabbed the guy and almost one hit killed him. Was pretty lol.

Wolfe

Anyone on PS3 around SL50 (my dudes SL49) that would be willing to trade or part with any number of demon titanite? I still need 6 more currently since I'm not used to using boss weapons and forgot they require that titanite to upgrade.

I can trade whatever, have a bit of everything at the moment and don't want to bother trying to farm that respawning titanite demon :p

Edit: Nevermind, I was bored and managed to kill that jerk a couple times to get the rest of the titanite I needed, the abyss greatsword R2 moves are fucking rad!

You can find some decent weapons early on. Andre (Parish blacksmith) and the Undead Merchant in the Burg sell weapons you can upgrade - Reinforced club, Battle axe etc, they hit harder than the hand axe.

The Halberd in the Parish is a very good, popular weapon. The knights in the Parish drop Balder Side Swords, another solid popular choice, and rapiers. If you like to poke the spear-weilding hollows drop them, or you can buy them. As well as the Estoc at the start of New Londo. Not super-powerful especially early on, but they have the benefit of being able to poke and defend with a shield at the same time, usefull if you don't have much poise.

Big swords - Claymore and Zweihander are both accessible from the get go. The Stone Guardians in the forest area drop their swords and shields, heavy though.

There are several weapons in Blighttown, and if you join the Forest Hunters you get access to a merchant that sells some powerful weapons.

Rrang129

Does anyone want to trade the Channeler's Trident with me? I just need to get that item for the last achievement, and I cannot for the life of me get this thing while grinding. :(

I have all of the other weapons as well, if you need those for the achievement too.

My Gamertag is Sargeant Ing. Thanks!!!

Arjen

Does anyone want to trade the Channeler's Trident with me? I just need to get that item for the last achievement, and I cannot for the life of me get this thing while grinding. :(

I have all of the other weapons as well, if you need those for the achievement too.

My Gamertag is Sargeant Ing. Thanks!!!

What level are you? I have one on my 150 character.

Being way LTTP for Dark Souls I don't really feel there's any point to the online functionality - at least not at my current level of mastery. Anyone I invite in is going to be leagues better than me and destroy any bosses instantly, whereas any game I'm summoned to I'll probably be more of a hindrance than a help due to my unfamiliarity with new areas. I haven't been invaded yet due to belonging to Way of White, but I feel that if I did I'd be so immensely outclassed I'd be better off jumping off a cliff than actually fighting the invader. I don't bother with leaving messages because everyone else at my SL is probably on their 25th playthrough and doesn't need the help.

Any other late-comers feel this way?

Rrang129

you guys are out of co op range, but if the SL120 drops the red sign soapstone the SL150 will be able to summon it

Still didn't work :/ a bunch of other people summoned me though!! Haha

Thanks for trying Arjen! :)

Being way LTTP for Dark Souls I don't really feel there's any point to the online functionality - at least not at my current level of mastery. Anyone I invite in is going to be leagues better than me and destroy any bosses instantly, whereas any game I'm summoned to I'll probably be more of a hindrance than a help due to my unfamiliarity with new areas. I haven't been invaded yet due to belonging to Way of White, but I feel that if I did I'd be so immensely outclassed I'd be better off jumping off a cliff than actually fighting the invader. I don't bother with leaving messages because everyone else at my SL is probably on their 25th playthrough and doesn't need the help.

I'm willing to bet there will always be newcomers to the game, just like you. Some people are more patient when playing co-op than other as well. I've gotten some really helpful people. Yes, it does seem a bit like cheating if some dude kills the boss quicker, but it never really bothered me. I guess I tend to try summoning if I get really stuck on a boss; I'm more apt to play through it solo.

I'm willing to bet there will always be newcomers to the game, just like you. Some people are more patient when playing co-op than other as well. I've gotten some really helpful people. Yes, it does seem a bit like cheating if some dude kills the boss quicker, but it never really bothered me. I guess I tend to try summoning if I get really stuck on a boss; I'm more apt to play through it solo.

Me too, for that matter. I played through Demon's Souls solo and it just feels like a more natural fit. I just hate it when I run across a boss that's balanced for co-op and I have to rely on AI-controlled summons. I guess I'd like to participate online because I've never got the chance to do it before, but maybe I'll wait for my second playthrough to get my feet wet.

My problem with coop in this game is that due to demons souls I'm good enough that I feel no désire to interact with others. Back in the ds days I remember getting summoned for the tower knight, as well as summoning people for flamelurker and it was awesome fun because I couosnt beat them by myself. Most bosses in dark souls I kill in one or two tries though, so having someone there just feels like its taking away from my mettle and drive. Also I have no internet, so there's that.

SJRB

Gold Member

Being summoned is a great way to get familiar with an area or a bossfight without having any penalties when dying - you simply return to your world. In fact, being summoned at boss fog gates is the perfect way to both practice for the boss and to get tons of souls. Because as a phantom, you too will get the reward for killing the boss.

You don't need to be human to get summoned. In case you're worried about invaders, just stay hollowed. You won't get invaded until you reverse hollowing.

Being summoned is a great way to get familiar with an area or a bossfight without having any penalties when dying - you simply return to your world. In fact, being summoned at boss fog gates is the perfect way to both practice for the boss and to get tons of souls. Because as a phantom, you too will get the reward for killing the boss.

You don't need to be human to get summoned. In case you're worried about invaders, just stay hollowed. You won't get invaded until you reverse hollowing.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not worried about invaders, per se, I just have little confidence that I'll be able to best them. I flagrantly strut around in human form all the time and I've yet to be invaded. If I am I guess I'll take it like a man
up the ass

SL1 run complete, it was a wild ride, some parts were harder than I expected, but overall it was pretty manageable. I had to grind a little here and there to get good gears, but overall it was really fun.

Hardest boss: 4 Kings, which is a surprise to me to be honest, initially I had a lot of trouble with them mainly because I don't do enough damage and the second king will spawn and destroy me. Afterwards I started to get greedy and swing at them one too many times and get punished hard. Their most annoying attack is one of their overhead chops that reaches behind them for whatever reason, so even if I timed my roll perfectly I'll still get hit, it was extremely counter-intuitive and caught me off guard constantly. In the end I got lucky because they kept using their stab attack which leaves them wide open to attacks.

Got invaded for the first time in the Depths - guy keeps trying to throw dung pies at me from the narrow corridor in front of the bonfire room. When I keep dodging them he loses his patience and two-shots me.

Put me on the list of people who feel Blighttown is a poorly-designed level. The environment keeps clipping through my point of view. I'll be walking along a precarious ledge when suddenly 90% of my camera is taken up by the interior of a wall, not to mention the framerate stuttering. Combine those two elements and it's an awful place to fight in.

hayguyz

Banned
I'm now in Anor Londo and am in the the section with all the silver knights. Are they supposed to completely wreck me? I'm just doing melee and felt like I was doing alright, but then I completely regressed and fail on the first one. I've had to restart this section so many times. I'm using mostly the lightning spear from Sen's and I've tried the Dragon Sword.

Arjen

I'm now in Anor Londo and am in the the section with all the silver knights. Are they supposed to completely wreck me? I'm just doing melee and felt like I was doing alright, but then I completely regressed and fail on the first one. I've had to restart this section so many times. I'm using mostly the lightning spear from Sen's and I've tried the Dragon Sword.

They're pretty tough at first, but they can be parried and backstabbed pretty easy.

Sullichin

Got invaded for the first time in the Depths - guy keeps trying to throw dung pies at me from the narrow corridor in front of the bonfire room. When I keep dodging them he loses his patience and two-shots me.

Put me on the list of people who feel Blighttown is a poorly-designed level. The environment keeps clipping through my point of view. I'll be walking along a precarious ledge when suddenly 90% of my camera is taken up by the interior of a wall, not to mention the framerate stuttering. Combine those two elements and it's an awful place to fight in.

Turn off "camera auto wall recovery" in options

Drake Sword is useless here, just drop it off a cliff. Lightning Spear is a little better, but by this time you've had access to plenty of upgrade opportunities. You could go back to Sen's Fortress and take the shortcut elevator back down to Andre and get any weapon up to +10, which will be better than the spear depending on your stats, or even go down to New Londo to find the +15 upgrade item.

I try to get a +14 or +15 weapon as soon as possible to avoid some headaches later on.

Seanspeed

Banned
Like a lot of areas in this game, its just something that seems difficult until you have some patience with it and learn. Their moveset is pretty limited and once you learn it, they are cake one on one.

Turn off "camera auto wall recovery" in options

Nah, that somehow made things worse...hrmm.

I actually restarted tonight so I could remain at a lower level and co-op Undead Burg for a while. Give me earlier access to Warriors of Sunlight. Switched to a halberd instead of my crappy old mace - feels good.

EDIT: So I set up shop outside the fog gate to the gargoyles. I got summoned, watched the cinematic for the other player, and the second I stepped through the gate: "YOU DEFEATED". What happened? I mean, I don't mind the free reward, but how was the fight over so fast? Some sort of lag between the point where I was summoned and when I actually appeared?

Hellcrow

Like a lot of areas in this game, its just something that seems difficult until you have some patience with it and learn. Their moveset is pretty limited and once you learn it, they are cake one on one.

How the hell do you backstab silver knights? Seems completely random for me.

tafer

How the hell do you backstab silver knights? Seems completely random for me.

The best moment to backstab is when an enemy is starting an attack or is recovering from one (Also, remember to lower your shield). With that said, you don't even need to stay exactly behind them to start the backstab, if you catch them at the right moment, you can backstab them at some unexpected "angles". (This game mechanic + lag = unbearable PvP for some)

In my opinion, those guys are also amazing to practice parrying, give it a try!

The best moment to backstab is when an enemy is starting an attack or is recovering from one (Also, remember to lower your shield). With that said, you don't even need to stay exactly behind them to start the backstab, if you catch them at the right moment, you can backstab them at some unexpected "angles". (This game mechanic + lag = unbearable PvP for some)

In my opinion, those guys are also amazing to practice parrying, give it a try!

Your shield must be down? Why is that? I don't doubt it, but the second you attack (with any weapon other than spear, rapier, etc.) your shield is technically "down", isn't it? I haven't really noticed this nuance yet. Might explain why I suck at back stabs.

tafer

Your shield must be down? Why is that? I don't doubt it, but the second you attack (with any weapon other than spear, rapier, etc.) your shield is technically "down", isn't it? I haven't really noticed this nuance yet. Might explain why I suck at back stabs.

I can't find the source, but yeah, keep your shield down. If you are rounding the enemy, most of the time, it shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom