• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The best one-handed "sword and shield" sword is probably the Balder Side Sword, followed by the Sunlight Straight Sword, but the Longsword isn't bad, really. The falchion is very decent, as is the shotel: they're fast and scale with dex and shotels can bypass shields. For a stronger but slightly slower sword, the claymore is very very good too.

I prefer the Longsword (or Broadsword for that matter) to the Balder Swag, personally. Mainly because I think the forward stepping R2 on the Longsword beats the repeating stab of Balder Swag, especially in PvP situations where you need to follow up on a miss or break guards. I only do base-SL runs anymore though so I'm not speaking from the perspective on the efficacy of a "build".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nope, even in Demon's Souls the shield-byassing weapons like Blind and the Large Sword of Moonlight, could be parried.

Whips are the only things that can't be parried.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I tried once. Did six "laps" of New Londo and gave up after. No slabs. I've never had one drop actually.
My friend who just started playing recently got a slab on his second DW with base discovery. I was furious lol.

As if the game felt sorry for me I got two slabs from the hollow lizards, so its all good. Its just frustrating how getting slabs can be so luck based.

lol.

I'm like "Hey, I just got a titanite slab, that good?"

The amount of swearing and hysterics was hilarious.

yamo

Just killed Logan after he went hollow but I didn't get Logans Catalyst (got a tin catalyst only)! :(

I looted both the corpse and the chest in the room. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: Got it, had to quit the game and restart.

Soulhouf

For PvP, composite bows are the best, honestly (fast firing and best damage). I didn't get into organized PvP as much as in Demon's Souls, but in Dark Souls, my favourite build was my archer. She had 27 str/40 dex, a composite bow+15 (estoc+15 as backup for gankers and the likes), and Avelyn for the surprise finishes. It was so much fun with poison arrows, and people always greatly underestimated my archer. Honestly it was the build I had the most fun with, and I won surprisingly consistently with her.

This was my build, pre-Darkwood Grain nerf. Pharis hat obligatory for roleplay purposes of course. :D
I haven't PvPed at all since the ring nerf patch, so I'd need to adjust the equipment a bit, but I'd probably go with something like this or this now.

Yes, that's exactly what I said :D

Trying to join the sunlight covenant but I'm never getting summoned :(

Where you at? Are you in proper co-op range?

So I rolled a new character last night and I'm not entirely sure where I want to take him. All I know is that I'm going to be using the Dragon Head stone for a bit of aesthetic variety, and that I'm sticking with greatswords. I know I could take this build in a very cheesy direction by pumping up Vit and making a Lighting Claymore/Zweihander, but...I don't know. On one hand, everyone does that. On the other, they do it for the reason that it's amazingly effective. Answer me this, GAF: is there any reason not to pursue this route, other than the fact that others might consider it poorly balanced?

Sullichin

So I rolled a new character last night and I'm not entirely sure where I want to take him. All I know is that I'm going to be using the Dragon Head stone for a bit of aesthetic variety, and that I'm sticking with greatswords. I know I could take this build in a very cheesy direction by pumping up Vit and making a Lighting Claymore/Zweihander, but...I don't know. On one hand, everyone does that. On the other, they do it for the reason that it's amazingly effective. Answer me this, GAF: is there any reason not to pursue this route, other than the fact that others might consider it poorly balanced?

Lightning weapons aren't very popular or good in level 100-120 PVP anymore. If you're invading /doing co-op in anor londo/lordsoul areas, I would go with chaos over lightning or go the regular route. If 100-120, I suggest making a quality build - 27 strength / 40 dexterity, or 28 strength to 1 hand the murakumo, it's worth it.
EDIT: nevermind you didn't mention pvp at all...if just for pve, a quality build is still great because you can use so many weapons, including all of the great/ultra greatswords. Lightning is still pretty good for PVE but pure physical damage is definitely better for the majority of the game, especially the DLC

Lightning weapons aren't very popular or good in level 100-120 PVP anymore. If you're invading /doing co-op in anor londo/lordsoul areas, I would go with chaos over lightning or go the regular route. If 100-120, I suggest making a quality build - 27 strength / 40 dexterity, or 28 strength to 1 hand the murakumo, it's worth it.
EDIT: nevermind you didn't mention pvp at all...if just for pve, a quality build is still great because you can use so many weapons, including all of the great/ultra greatswords. Lightning is still pretty good for PVE but pure physical damage is definitely better for the majority of the game, especially the DLC

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll roll with lightning for NG and move on to Chaos on NG+, that or a buffed +15. I plan on doing most of my PVP for this playthrough around the SL50 area.

Dark Souls loremasters, do you think a Dragon disciple would be more likely to support Kaathe or Frampt? Would ending the age of fire return the world to how it was when Dragons ruled?

Soulhouf

Dark Souls loremasters, do you think a Dragon disciple would be more likely to support Kaathe or Frampt? Would ending the age of fire return the world to how it was when Dragons ruled?

Kaath supports humans whereas Frampt supports the Gods.
So if you're a dragon disciple, just jump to the Firelink Altar and ignore both of them lol

New to this game, only been playing 4 nights or so.
Every time I find a new bonfire, I Kindle it - about half a dozen times I imagine.
And without fail, within 10-30 minutes of becoming Human, someone invades my world and murders me. Stabbed in the back, ninja-style stabbed from above. One guy even kept throwing poison at me.

As a new player trying to learn the ropes, this isn't a feature I like.
I know it's part of the game, but J.C. the game is frustrating enough.
I sent one guy a message saying his attack was unsportsmanlike-like (the surprise ninja killer), and he sent me back a message - "Welcome to Dark Souls".
:/

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Probably outside of the usual level range of the area.

Trying to get summoned for gargoyles but level 33 is probably higher than the 10+15% of the players in that area.

Struggling to kill skeletons at the moment so it's hard to progress through catacombs. Tried the shortcut via dropping down and getting leeroy but leeroy wouldn't follow me through the white light :'(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Every time I find a new bonfire, I Kindle it - about half a dozen times I imagine.
And without fail, within 10-30 minutes of becoming Human, someone invades my world and murders me. Stabbed in the back, ninja-style stabbed from above. One guy even kept throwing poison at me.

I sent one guy a message saying his attack was unsportsmanlike-like (the surprise ninja killer), and he sent me back a message - "Welcome to Dark Souls".
They're low-level griefers and they're assholes. They do that because they suck at PvP and know you don't stand a chance and exploit the design flaws in the game. I talked about this at length in the other DkS thread but everyone disagreed with me. -_- Yes, the game is harsh, I'm the first to say it (positively), but I still hate that shit, it's a flaw in the game design mostly caused by poor matchmaking and non-scaling damage types.

Probably outside of the usual level range of the area.

Trying to get summoned for gargoyles but level 33 is probably higher than the 10+15% of the players in that area.

Struggling to kill skeletons at the moment so it's hard to progress through catacombs. Tried the shortcut via dropping down and getting leeroy but leeroy wouldn't follow me through the white light :'(

Oh yeah - getting summoned is hard enough, getting summoned for the Gargoyles at lv.33 probably isn't going to happen. The next best summoning spot is probably the Depths.

Hah, this was my experience when I started, too, and I'm not much more experienced than you. Suffice it to say that one of these days you're going to be invaded by a dude decked out in Havel's/Family mask/Lightning Assgrinder+15 and you're inexplicably going to beat him. Kindling bonfires with loose humanity is a good idea and I advise you to keep doing it. It's better than accidentally losing it later.

Keep at it! As Morrigan said, feel pity for the twinks. Some of them may be masters of PVE but they grief low-level players with starting gear because those are the only humans they can beat. You'll surpass them eventually.

Leeroy's AI can occasionally wander off in the opposite direction because of all the bonewheel skeletons up there, then he just continues even further!

What I usually do is summon him, drop down to the next ledge (not where the monk's gear is, the one facing the tunnel to Pinwheel) - he will drop down too and drop again to take out couple of bonwheels below, that's your chance to run to Pinwheel, he should follow and probably take out at least one more bonwheel that is attracted to your running, after that he will follow - but stay in visual range of him.

Ziek

Finally completed the game! Earlier I saw someone type up a stats sheet for their first completion. I thought I'd do the same. Obvious spoilers ahead.

BANDIT starting class

Final player stats:

Level: 88
Vitality: 37
Attunement: 8
Endurance: 40
Strength: 40
Dexterity: 13
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 8
Faith: 10

Large Club +15
Composite Bow +14
Black Knight Shield +5
Black Knight Armor Set +5 (to all)
Ring of Favor and Protection (perma after lautrec)
Havel's Ring

Favorite Area: Tomb of Giants
Least Favorite Area: Painted World of Ariamis

Hardest Boss: Ornstein & Smough
Easiest Boss: Chaos Witch Quelaag tied with Centipede Demon

Favorite Boss: Manus, Father of the Abyss
Most Boring Boss: Iron Golem
Least Favorite Boss: Seath the Scaleless

Fuck-ups: Pissed off Siegmeyer of Catarina's daughter and they both disappeared. Also I completely forgot to fight Kalameet. :(

Luckiest moment: Black Knight Shield dropped on the very first Black Knight in Undead Burg.
Most Unlucky moment: Was saving up souls for Twinkling Titanites. I had enough to upgrade a full set of Black Knight Armor. I stupidly died to those lightning spear demons right outside the Giant Blacksmith and on my way back I fell off the elevator in Anor Londo. Ugh.

PVP: Invaded a total of 4 times. Lost 3 to poison spammers. Won my first legit battle in the DLC area. I hate PVP because it's completely broken.

Anyways. Great game, probably my favorite this generation. Cannot wait for Dark Souls II.

Arjen

Does anybody have some good tips for getting a bit of poise when wearing light armor?
I noticed most my pvp fights are lost because i get stunlocked so easy for having 0 poise.
I tried the wolf ring, which helps a lot, but i would love to have another rings in that slot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wolf ring's the best bet. For weight/poise ratios, the best sets are the Hollow Soldier and Hollow Warrior sets, and possibly the Lord Blade's set.

sixghost

Does anybody have some good tips for getting a bit of poise when wearing light armor?
I noticed most my pvp fights are lost because i get stunlocked so easy for having 0 poise.
I tried the wolf ring, which helps a lot, but i would love to have another rings in that slot.

Sullichin recommended me this set up that has been working very well:
Wanderer Chest
Lord Blade's Arms
Black Knight Legs
Mask of the Mother

Wolf Ring. It gets you 54 poise which is the sweet spot. You can eat any 1H attack or 2H attack from anything that isn't a greathammer, ultra greatsword, or greataxe. I didn't have that much weight to work with since I was using a heavy ultrasword and no havel's ring. Just try to get to 53 poise.

Sanctuary Guardian is a really intense fight when you don't have the poise to tank him - dodging his attacks isn't incredibly tough, but it's hard as hell finding the opportunity to attack him before he recovers. I got him down to a sliver of health and he one-shotted me...I can't think of a single boss with a slimmer attack window. Maybe Artorias or Manus.

You can stay safe and just attack after dodging his roar-wave.

Yeah, I beat him by attacking after his roar, then chopping off his tail so I could get him after his flying plunging attack. Beat Artorias without a shield, as well. That was actually...significantly easier than the Guardian, and significantly easier than when I just tanked him on my first playthrough. I wasn't expecting that. I think my mindset is finally starting to change regarding dodging versus blocking for this playthrough. Might drop my shield all together, or just 2-hand with grass crest.

Where are all the places a SL60 character could get some decent invasions in? The Lord Soul areas, surely. Is Anor Londo now out of the question for this playthrough?

Soulhouf

Where are all the places a SL60 character could get some decent invasions in? The Lord Soul areas, surely. Is Anor Londo now out of the question for this playthrough?

Undead burg. It was the best PvP area for a while ago. There are especially many Japanese players who don't beat Tauros Demon to keep that area open for invasions and they usually play fair.
I wonder if it's still the case today.

krakov

Undead burg. It was the best PvP area for a while ago. There are especially many Japanese players who don't beat Tauros Demon to keep that area open for invasions and they usually play fair.
I wonder if it's still the case today.

It's one of the best areas for duels on 360 still but most people are probably sl 100-125.

Sanctuary Guardian is a really intense fight when you don't have the poise to tank him - dodging his attacks isn't incredibly tough, but it's hard as hell finding the opportunity to attack him before he recovers. I got him down to a sliver of health and he one-shotted me...I can't think of a single boss with a slimmer attack window. Maybe Artorias or Manus.

Fighting the Sanctuary Guardian the first time was so maddening. I was dodging his attacks well enough but every time I tried to attack he'd dart away or do that flying spin or some other bullcrap.

He's not so bad anymore as I know his moves well, but the optional fight against two Guardians is insane. Only masochists needs apply.

Sullichin

Sullichin recommended me this set up that has been working very well:
Wanderer Chest
Lord Blade's Arms
Black Knight Legs
Mask of the Mother

Wolf Ring. It gets you 54 poise which is the sweet spot. You can eat any 1H attack or 2H attack from anything that isn't a greathammer, ultra greatsword, or greataxe. I didn't have that much weight to work with since I was using a heavy ultrasword and no havel's ring. Just try to get to 53 poise.

Hmm, alright guess i'll stay with the wolf ring then. Will try out the set ups, thanks.

Hey now I'd never recommend mask of the mother :p But yeah with that setup you can only wear the very lightest headgear, which usually means nothing, crown of dusk, or a family mask. The setup you have + dusk crown is what I use for my pyromancer, and the poise is worth it for fire tempest alone.

You can also use the armor optimizer here and min/max by poise: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

But prepare for some ugly results including bare chests and hollow warrior waistcloths. You can filter it though.

On my quality build I'm playing with less poise, like 36-40 depending on my armor, which helps against stunlocking against a katana and lighter weapons but not 2H greatswords. It's been fine really. It's nice to wear armor you like and not worry about getting the absolute best poise/def for weight, because I'm kind of sick of every one of those combinations possible at 40END at this point. Usually wearing domhall's entire set but with the elite knight helmet. I think poise should be re-considered in DKS2. The wolf ring kind of breaks it, it's kinda unfair for a fast-rolling/ninja flipping katana user to have better stunlock insurance than someone in Elite Knight armor or similar to someone mid rolling in heavy armor. Mid rolling would be more popular if it were the only way to get a decent amount of poise.

Arjen

Hey now I'd never recommend mask of the mother :p But yeah with that setup you can only wear the very lightest headgear, which usually means nothing, crown of dusk, or a family mask. The setup you have + dusk crown is what I use for my pyromancer, and the poise is worth it for fire tempest alone.

You can also use the armor optimizer here and min/max by poise: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

But prepare for some ugly results including bare chests and hollow warrior waistcloths. You can filter it though.

On my quality build I'm playing with less poise, like 36-40 depending on my armor, which helps against stunlocking against a katana and lighter weapons but not 2H greatswords. It's been fine really. It's nice to wear armor you like and not worry about getting the absolute best poise/def for weight, because I'm kind of sick of every one of those combinations possible at 40END at this point. Usually wearing domhall's entire set but with the elite knight helmet. I think poise should be re-considered in DKS2. The wolf ring kind of breaks it, it's kinda unfair for a fast-rolling/ninja flipping katana user to have better stunlock insurance than someone in Elite Knight armor or similar to someone mid rolling in heavy armor. Mid rolling would be more popular if it were the only way to get a decent amount of poise.

I wasn't planning on using mask of mother, i'm bored of using that, because i used it on the rest of my character.
Right now i got, black leather armor, lord blade arm and legs, and thief mask for the looks.
That has me at 49 poise with the wolf ring while still having fast roll.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So, in my quest to get sunlight medals I have started waiting at Ornstein and Smough.

I finally get summoned after quite a wait. The battle starts normally. Smough waddling forward while Ornstein rushes to his demise. Mean while, My cat is looking for something under my desk. I just think it's a mouse.

After Ornstein drops, we start laying in to Smough. Get him about half health and then I find out what my cat was after. He was after one of these. It comes crawling from under my desk and starts running around on the screen and keyboard of my laptop!

Thank fuck I use a wired xbox controller for DS and not M&K!

Go back where you fought the Sanctuary Guardian and you'll have a surprise.
That's by far the hardest fight in the entire game. I only did it once because it was insane.
The best part is, you don't get a particular reward and... THEY RESPAWN.

From, you dicks.

Nice to have a second chance to get its tail, though it's probably the easiest tail to get in the game.

So, in my quest to get sunlight medals I have started waiting at Ornstein and Smough.

I finally get summoned after quite a wait. The battle starts normally. Smough waddling forward while Ornstein rushes to his demise. Mean while, My cat is looking for something under my desk. I just think it's a mouse.

After Ornstein drops, we start laying in to Smough. Get him about half health and then I find out what my cat was after. He was after one of these. It comes crawling from under my desk and starts running around on the screen and keyboard of my laptop!

Ugh, I hate Huntsman spiders. Relatively harmless but they're so damn fast and they look so creepy. I saw so many of those fuckers when I studied in Australia.

Allegedly this picture is of a terrifyingly large Huntsman from Tasmania:
http://patosz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/clockspider2.jpg

Also one time I accidentally killed the undead sewer merchant because my cat was nudging at my hands (she wanted more attention) and caused me to do a power attack through the bars.

Go back where you fought the Sanctuary Guardian and you'll have a surprise.
That's by far the hardest fight in the entire game. I only did it once because it was insane.
The best part is, you don't get a particular reward and... THEY RESPAWN.
lol, never knew this! I love From!

Sullichin

I wasn't planning on using mask of mother, i'm bored of using that, because i used it on the rest of my character.
Right now i got, black leather armor, lord blade arm and legs, and thief mask for the looks.
That has me at 49 poise with the wolf ring while still having fast roll.

It's worth noting you're just under the poise breakpoint (53) to not get staggered by a 2H R1 Greatsword hit. I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are because I don't really care to test myself but I've seen them in multiple places. http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise
So if you're getting messed up by a claymore or something it's worth considering, iirc if you use black knight leggings you'll be at 54. Not that tanking a claymore hit is usually a good idea.

lol, never knew this! I love From!
When I first stumbled upon this I thought it was a glitch. It was very unexpected, but very cool because you really have no reason to go back that way. And then you beat them and they respawn anyway. I should try to kill them with my deprived character.

Started watching ENB's lore series on Youtube.

Holy crap at
the occult club next to Havel's stash in Anor Londo...was he planning on killing the gods himself? He was a high-ranking cleric, too. Might explain why he went Hollow.
So many neat little details you might have otherwise missed.

Arjen

Those ENB videos are really cool, I think I watched them all, the lore videos are really amazing indeed. It's really one of the things I love about this game, all the small details you can figure out for yourself,
like the chaos amber being locked in the painted world together with Priscilla.

Those ENB videos are really cool, I think I watched them all, the lore videos are really amazing indeed. It's really one of the things I love about this game, all the small details you can figure out for yourself,

IIRC it's the occult ember there, not chaos. And I love Andre's reaction when you give him that ember, it's so creepy.

I think my favorite little bit of lore is Ceaseless Discharge's backstory.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
From, you dicks.

Nice to have a second chance to get its tail, though it's probably the easiest tail to get in the game.
Eh? Nah that's easily the Gargoyles. I thought the Guardian's tail was one of the hardest one (the hardest being Kalameet, and Seath as third), though my character was admittedly underpowered (using a divine great scythe+5, lol)... Still, the windows for attacking its tail in single-player is quite narrow. It does help to know that you don't need a "slicing" kind of attack (unlike in Monster Hunter), though, I didn't even know that and was trying to slice the tails with my scythe, then eventually I gave up and tried Great combustion on it for a huge chunk of damage and bam, it came off. xD

Gahh!!! Good thing you were just a phantom and not the host, lol.

Technically that's the
Dark Ember
, not the
Chaos Ember, which is in the Demon Ruins. ;)

Eh? Nah that's easily the Gargoyles. I thought the Guardian's tail was one of the hardest one (the hardest being Kalameet, and Seath as third), though my character was admittedly underpowered (using a divine great scythe+5, lol)... Still, the windows for attacking its tail in single-player is quite narrow. It does help to know that you don't need a "slicing" kind of attack (unlike in Monster Hunter), though, I didn't even know that and was trying to slice the tails with my scythe, then eventually I gave up and tried Great combustion on it for a huge chunk of damage and bam, it came off. xD

I found that he left himself quite open after his flying lunge attack, though you have to disable lock-on to get his tail. Usually comes off in a single swipe for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom