• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

Taurus Demon advice:
-Either roll away from him, or roll in the direction the attack is coming from. Dodging in DkSo works in two ways. You can either time it well to take advantage of the invincibility frames, or you can physically avoid the attack. Dodging towards the attack increases the likelihood of using the invincibility frames since you are in contact with the weapon for less frames.
-You need to avoid getting cornered by the fog doors. You can get around him either by dodging an attack while close to him, or dodging through his legs.
-Two hand your weapon during the plunge attack, it does more damage.
-Check to see if you can just eat his attacks with a block. A decent shield and endurance can tank most of his attacks without taking any damage.
-You need to learn how to dodge attacks by dipping in and out of the enemies attack range. You do this by standing just outside his attack range, then moving into his attack range for a second, then backing right out of it again, rolling if you need to. You can dodge every single one of his attacks like this.

He's tough the first time, don't worry.

Taurus demon now seems like child's play compared to the Capra demon. I've been trying to get past him so I could kill the dogs first then focus on him. Should I run or put my shield up?

sixghost

Taurus demon now seems like child's play compared to the Capra demon. I've been trying to get past him so I could kill the dogs first then focus on him. Should I run or put my shield up?

If you have a strong enough weapon to kill one of the dogs in 1 hit, kill the dogs right away and just eat capra's first hit. If you are tankish character, block the first hit and try to maneuver your way to the stairs, if you are a light dodgy character you just need to dodge the first attack which can be hard as hell.

Once you reach the stairs kill the dogs first.

if you are a light dodgy character you just need to dodge the first attack which can be hard as hell.

That would be my problem. I picked Wanderer, but I put quite a bit of vitality which doesn't seem to be doing me any good considering I get stunlocked anyway. Is there some trick to timing it right?

sixghost

That would be my problem. I picked Wanderer, but I put quite a bit of vitality which doesn't seem to be doing me any good considering I get stunlocked anyway. Is there some trick to timing it right?

The tough part is that the first dog will attack you half a second before Capra hits you with his first attack, and you wont have a chance to recover before his attack hits. Move forward and to the right when you enter the fight to draw the dog and capra to the right, then dodge to the left and get to the stairs.

The tough part is that the first dog will attack you half a second before Capra hits you with his first attack, and you wont have a chance to recover before his attack hits. Move forward and to the right when you enter the fight to draw the dog and capra to the right, then dodge to the left and get to the stairs.

I'll try that, thanks.

I took advantage of Havel's shyness and refusal to leave his tower. I just poked him from outside with a halberd, then moved away to avoid the inevitable face-rearranging smash.

I answered my own question. Yes, you can backstab with a battleaxe.

Havel can then still turn you into paste.

Fun fact: his attacks track you even as they're executed, so you have to time your dodges perfectly near the end of each attack animation to dodge him.

I took advantage of Havel's shyness and refusal to leave his tower. I just poked him from outside with a halberd, then moved away to avoid the inevitable face-rearranging smash.

Yeah, if you have access to ranged attacks of any sort you can cheese him to death quite easily. Just lure him into the doorway and pelt him.

Bollocks to side-dodging Havel. Far easier to keep him by the walls, run up to him and run back when he winds up an attack. He misses every time, and gives you a window for a hit. The longer amount of time it takes to kill him because of the lack of backstabs is well worth the lessened risk imo

I want to get the Claymore on the Undead Burg bridge, but I'm not sure how to get it without being roasted by the dragon.

Shoot the dragon a bunch of times until he comes down to visit (do this from the halfway point on the bridge. Once he lands run through his legs and run straight for the bonfire. If you make it into the alcove he will disappear for a bit.

789shadow

Banned
Shoot the dragon a bunch of times until he comes down to visit (do this from the halfway point on the bridge. Once he lands run through his legs and run straight for the bonfire. If you make it into the alcove he will disappear for a bit.
By bonfire you mean the bonfire in the Undead Parish?

Also, I have a +2 Battle Axe. Should I try and get the Gargoyle's Axe?

By bonfire you mean the bonfire in the Undead Parish?

Also, I have a +2 Battle Axe. Should I try and get the Gargoyle's Axe?

It wouldn't hurt if you try, but don't worry if you can't get it. The gargoyle axe has some neat resistance boost when equipped, but on its own it's not that great of a weapon.

Someone invades you and dies from falling from the environment (i.e. Blighttown, Tomb of Giants) before ever reaching you.

Do you add it to your "win" tally? Curious to see everyone's opinion. We all know environments can be used as weapons every bit as much as a sword.

tafer

Someone invades you and dies from falling from the environment (i.e. Blighttown, Tomb of Giants) before ever reaching you.

Do you add it to your "win" tally? Curious to see everyone's opinion. We all know environments can be used as weapons every bit as much as a sword.

A win is a win.

I think that's fair enough.

I suppose they could implement some system where no win or loss is recorded unless the invader directly damages the host (or vice versa), but that just seems overwrought.

On a slightly related note I was once indicted without ever even seeing the host. I assume he fell off a cliff or got clobbered by an enemy.

It prevents certain spells from homing at a certain distance though, right?

I'm not actually sure. I kinda stopped messing around with it after the nerf (aside from using it in some PvE scenarios).

What happens exactly when you accuse someone that invaded/killed you?

They get put in the book of the guilty and then get invaded later by members of the Darkmoon Blade covenant.

Ziek

Just beat Nito on my second try (forgot to equip divine weapon first time). I then went straight to New Londo and solo killed Four Kings on my third try. I meant to summon Witch Beatrice, because I had heard how hard the fight was, but I forgot to offer humanity at the bonfire. I just said fuck it and tried solo. This happens a lot to me in the game. I'm having trouble and I'm about to rage quit, but then I say "fuck it" and beat it. Weird how that happens so often.

Now I'm onto Duke's Archive. Steamrolling everything until the boss at Crystal Caves. I hate those god damn clams just before the boss room. I'm noticing a lot of crystallized undead in the arena. Bad sign?

Finally beat Capra Demon, but only after I realized that there was a shortcut to Firelink that was easier to go through than the way from Undead Burg. It was tough, but I guess if you throw yourself against a brick wall hard enough you break it down eventually (not really a slight against the game).

Just beat Nito on my second try (forgot to equip divine weapon first time). I then went straight to New Londo and solo killed Four Kings on my third try. I meant to summon Witch Beatrice, because I had heard how hard the fight was, but I forgot to offer humanity at the bonfire. I just said fuck it and tried solo. This happens a lot to me in the game. I'm having trouble and I'm about to rage quit, but then I say "fuck it" and beat it. Weird how that happens so often.

Now I'm onto Duke's Archive. Steamrolling everything until the boss at Crystal Caves. I hate those god damn clams just before the boss room. I'm noticing a lot of crystallized undead in the arena. Bad sign?

1st playthrough: solo everything, common sense be damned.

2nd playthrough: fuck it, I've already solo'd you once, I'm summoning help.

I'm in NG+ and its depressingly easy. I'm steam rolling through everything, two hit kills on black knights, killed every boss first try. I'm walking around in human form and I've got lots of humanity doing nothing :(

My SL is around 95ish and I didn't even grind in my first playthrough, just am smart about not losing souls. Im sure I can just google this, but if anyone has access to a little spread sheet for knights honour that would be groovy. I'm sure getting the pyromancies spells and miracles will be pretty easy, but knights honour will.be a bitch.

Getting my ass kicked by Four Kings...again. They remain the most difficult boss in the game for me. I beat them the first time solo after 5 or 6 tries, and I thought I'd have an easier time now if I summoned Beatrice for help. Nope, she dies less than a minute into the fight. I've totally maximized my damage output for my SL - Uchigatana+15 buffed with Great Magic Weapon, dex is 26, int is 20.

I'm SL43 at the moment, about 20 levels lower than my last playthrough. I'm trying to remain at a lower level for PVP (I'm doing this so early so I can get to Kaathe)...am I just being stubborn? Should I bite the bullet and put more points into dex? Or should I change up my weapon? I've got Quelaag's+4 on stand-by at the moment, but I don't feel like wasting humanity on maximizing its output if I'm just going to die again. What are these guys weakest to?

Getting my ass kicked by Four Kings...again. They remain the most difficult boss in the game for me. I beat them the first time solo after 5 or 6 tries, and I thought I'd have an easier time now if I summoned Beatrice for help. Nope, she dies less than a minute into the fight. I've totally maximized my damage output for my SL - Uchigatana+15 buffed with Great Magic Weapon, dex is 26, int is 20.

I'm SL43 at the moment, about 20 levels lower than my last playthrough. I'm trying to remain at a lower level for PVP (I'm doing this so early so I can get to Kaathe)...am I just being stubborn? Should I bite the bullet and put more points into dex? Or should I change up my weapon? I've got Quelaag's+4 on stand-by at the moment, but I don't feel like wasting humanity on maximizing its output if I'm just going to die again. What are these guys weakest to?

The Four Kings actually get significantly harder when you summon help, since their health gets buffed.

I'd recommend soloing them again, it should be more manageable.

The Four Kings actually get significantly harder when you summon help, since their health gets buffed.

I'd recommend soloing them again, it should be more manageable.

Shit, I had no idea that applied with NPC phantoms. Thanks so much for that, I was prepared to waste a humanity for every attempt just so I could summon Beatrice. I felt like I was doing pretty puny damage, but that explains it.

So the Kings stay buffed even after Beatrice dies?

dsvoid

Neo Member
LdnWMd3.png

Was doing a cleric run when I realized the dingy robe makes a really neat wandering knight poncho!

Shit, I had no idea that applied with NPC phantoms. Thanks so much for that, I was prepared to waste a humanity for every attempt just so I could summon Beatrice. I felt like I was doing pretty puny damage, but that explains it.

So the Kings stay buffed even after Beatrice dies?

Yup, bosses will stay buffed for the whole fight, even if all of your summons die.

Usually the ability to split aggro, along with the doubled firepower, totally overrides the health boost that bosses get. But because the Four Kings fight is a total DPS race, having a sloppy AI wandering around that can't even heal itself does way more harm than good. In fact it gets way harder even with human players helping you, unless said players know exactly what they're doing.

Why don't the Souls games have a big cosplay presence? The armour is insanely well-designed. I want to see a Yurt, an Ostrava, a Maiden and especially an Elite Knight :D

ArynCrinn

Banned

Keep the Uchi +15, buff with Lightning or Sunlight Blade.

Go in two-handed and learn the timing and tells to dodge their attacks, and just stack the dps. Bring out a magic shield (Crest, Crystal Ring, Magic Warrior's Round Shield +10, Darkhand) to nullify the magic missile.

Swig Estus when needed, rinse and repeat on all Four Kings. To varying degrees this has always been my strategy and it got me to NG++++.

OMG< finally beat
Kalameet
in the DLC, it was awesome and really intense, now im trying to kill
Manus
but I cant make it lol

A question, is it worth it to max out the Pyromancy glove for using Power Within? Im dumping so much souls into it right now and im not sure If I should stop, im at Level 3 of the advanced one.

OMG< finally beat
Kalameet
Manus
but I cant make it lol

A question, is it worth it to max out the Pyromancy glove for using Power Within? Im dumping so much souls into it right now and im not sure If I should stop, im at Level 3 of the advanced one.

It's always worth it. Souls are incredibly disposable.

I just killed a red phantom in the forest and got about 230-250,000 souls for it - what level do you think he was?

I invaded as a lvl14 Forest Hunter and saw the host doing the lock-on tango with the red phantom, but red's health was criminally low so I just went in for a backstab, doing less than 100HP and got a nice piece of pocket change for it, lol.

Edit: whoah - I'm hanging back in their world and got another 570,000 from another invader they killed. I could stay here all night and "grind" lol.

Sullichin

OMG< finally beat
Kalameet
Manus
but I cant make it lol

Not if you're just using power within, it's exactly the same regardless of your flame's upgrade level.

I just killed a red phantom in the forest and got about 230-250,000 souls for it - what level do you think he was?

I invaded as a lvl14 Forest Hunter and saw the host doing the lock-on tango with the red phantom, but red's health was criminally low so I just went in for a backstab, doing less than 100HP and got a nice piece of pocket change for it, lol.

Edit: whoah - I'm hanging back in their world and got another 570,000 from another invader they killed. I could stay here all night and "grind" lol.

He was probably in the 400s, although I'm not positive if this applies if you're an invader and you kill another invader in someone else's world, I think it does.
https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

400s? That's crazy! What chance would I have ever had at lvl14?! I'd like to see that straightened out in the sequel, or maybe not, since after he died, I ended up with just over a million souls altogether from 10 minutes of hiding!

400s? That's crazy! What chance would I have ever had at lvl14?! I'd like to see that straightened out in the sequel, or maybe not, since after he died, I ended up with just over a million souls altogether from 10 minutes of hiding!

One of the fun (or not, depending on your perspective) things about Forest Hunter PvP specifically is that there are no level restrictions in terms of who gets matched up together. So some bonkers situations can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom