• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way. I haven't farmed dragon scales in a long time, but remember trying to get 99 when the BB glitch worked and with 410 item discovery I would usually get between 1-4 per run on Valley of Drakes. The only thing is it's kind of time consuming/dangerous because of the dragons high HP.

Good news - I hope I'm so fortunate.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=341098324773869245

Here's a glimpse of what my current character may look like at SL120, of course depending on whether or not I splurge on the torso stone later, which may replace my armor and give me another ring slot. That poise, though...whatever. Basically just a fuck shit up build.

Amaron

Banned

Here's a glimpse of what my current character may look like at SL120, of course depending on whether or not I splurge on the torso stone later, which may replace my armor and give me another ring slot. That poise, though...whatever. Basically just a fuck shit up build.

If I may comment, remove the 7 points from RES. It's a worthless stat as we've not been able to find any use for it whatsoever. Perhaps you could move those points into DEX and up it to eighteen to allow you to use the Black Knight Greatsword if you really like Ultra Greatswords. It would also allow you to remove some points from STR and move them around into DEX for better scaling with some weapons. Maybe also remove Power Within as most people have wised up to it and will just draw out a battle until you die. This allows you to remove points from ATT to be better put into other stats, or possibly use the third slot for another pyromancy like Great Fireball. Also, changing to a lighter weapon instead of the Dragon Ultrasword would allow you to equip better armor. A couple of well upgraded pieces of Balder armor give you great protection for minimum weight.

Just what I think, though if you really want that Dragon Ultrasword, then go for it! Perfect for trolling the narrow walkways in Sen's.

Sullichin

Those stats in resistance aren't worth it even if you're going full dragon. Also, since the dragon great sword has no scaling you'll get better damage output from other STR weapons like demon great machete or demon great axe, without the fun R2s of course

Amaron

Banned
Beat the Bell Gargoyles in 2 tries. Didn't get the axe, but it's no big deal. What should I do next?

This is a confusing part due to the lack of direction, but you should be in possession of a new key. Do you recall any doors that were locked?

Right after you kill the Tartarus demon and go down to the bridge with the red drake, there should have been another door right in front of you identical to the one you just came out of. The red drake is on your left and Solaire is on your right.

789shadow

Banned
This is a confusing part due to the lack of direction, but you should be in possession of a new key. Do you recall any doors that were locked?

Right after you kill the Tartarus demon and go down to the bridge with the red drake, there should have been another door right in front of you identical to the one you just came out of. The red drake is on your left and Solaire is on your right.
I got the key, and HOLY SHIT THE FUCKING DRAGON CAME BACK.

Amaron

Banned
I lost 10 humanity and 3000 souls to that asshole..................:(

So I took out my anger on Havel. Havel's Ring get.

Fby2E.gif

If I may comment, remove the 7 points from RES. It's a worthless stat as we've not been able to find any use for it whatsoever. Perhaps you could move those points into DEX and up it to eighteen to allow you to use the Black Knight Greatsword if you really like Ultra Greatswords. It would also allow you to remove some points from STR and move them around into DEX for better scaling with some weapons. Maybe also remove Power Within as most people have wised up to it and will just draw out a battle until you die. This allows you to remove points from ATT to be better put into other stats, or possibly use the third slot for another pyromancy like Great Fireball. Also, changing to a lighter weapon instead of the Dragon Ultrasword would allow you to equip better armor. A couple of well upgraded pieces of Balder armor give you great protection for minimum weight.

Just what I think, though if you really want that Dragon Ultrasword, then go for it! Perfect for trolling the narrow walkways in Sen's.

Those stats in resistance aren't worth it even if you're going full dragon. Also, since the dragon great sword has no scaling you'll get better damage output from other STR weapons like demon great machete or demon great axe, without the fun R2s of course

Thanks for the advice, guys! You're right, I plan on moving on to a better Str-scaling weapon once I have the strength to justify it, but once I've maxed out DGS I have a feeling I'll be using it for most of NG. I'll probably move on to Demon Great Axe/Machete later.

About Res, yeah, I know it's useless but since I had no intention of using dex-scaling weapons I figured I'd put it into the last stat that would actually have a (barely) noticeable increase. Dex would probably be a better choice whether I plan to use it or not, if only for the versatility later down the line.

All in all, it's a pretty fun build. I started farming dragon scales and I got 2 on my first run. This might not take as much time as I thought it would.

Booshka

Thanks for the advice, guys! You're right, I plan on moving on to a better Str-scaling weapon once I have the strength to justify it, but once I've maxed out DGS I have a feeling I'll be using it for most of NG. I'll probably move on to Demon Great Axe/Machete later.

About Res, yeah, I know it's useless but since I had no intention of using dex-scaling weapons I figured I'd put it into the last stat that would actually have a (barely) noticeable increase. Dex would probably be a better choice whether I plan to use it or not, if only for the versatility later down the line.

All in all, it's a pretty fun build. I started farming dragon scales and I got 2 on my first run. This might not take as much time as I thought it would.

If you aren't sure where to put your stats, just level Endurance, if you are using a STR build, every level of Endurance will pay dividends in the equip load gains. If you are comfortable with your Equip load, then level Vitality. Resistance is truly and completely worthless.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who has extra drake scales? I sure as hell don't.

Anyone who doesn't care about dragon weapons, I guess.
Dragon scales are only useful in the dragon covenant, and for the Moonlight Greatsword. Well, I hear the Obsidian Greatsword
from Kalameet's tail
is pretty good, though I never used it. The other dragon weapons are kinda crap though.

He must have a terrible endurance stat, he fat rolls with his ring on
Dude, with his full set and the ring, even at 40 endurance you fatroll. You need 86!! endurance to mid-roll with it. xD With RoFaP on, you still need 65 endurance. Yikes. His gear, particularly that greatshield, is just stupidly heavy.

sixghost

Beat New Londo
Battered the Four Kings
Upgraded my Halberd to +13 (beastly)
Beat the Sanctuary Guardian
Delayed moving on from Oolacile Sanctuary
Farmed Large Titanite Shards
Got a Lifehunt Scythe, a Moonlight Spear and a Dragon Fist
Tested my new weapons out even though I have no intention of using any of them

Lifehunt Scythe: Too slow primary attack, range is a little short. Bleed buildup seems managable
Moonlight Spear: Meh
Dragon Fist: Range is too short for a non-tank. Uppercut is amazingly brutal on weak enemies

SL102 now, just gonna do the DLC then make my way to the end-game

Still wearing the same armour I've been using for about 20 hours. It looks rubbish but its the best I have
You should give the Lifehunt Scythe another shot. The bleed build up is manageable with either the blood shield or the bloodbite ring, and the bleed buildup on enemies is ridiculously fast. 2 hit usually would do it on bosses. I highly recommend 2handing it. The 2h running attack and 2h R2 are some of the best PvE moves in the game. The 2H R1 is faster than the 1H R1 as well. The backstep-R1 is good too, but no one ever uses that. It's the only weapon I've ever stopped using because it felt too strong.
He must have a terrible endurance stat, he fat rolls with his ring on

I'd like to think Havel runs double wolf rings.

Thought farming dragon scales would be slow going, but I got enough to take my DGS to +5 in about an hour without even using the covetous gold serpant ring.

Piano

Banned
Been rocking Havel's armor set (sans shield) + his ring for a while now. Is something better going to come along eventually? I'm able to mid-roll with this set-up but it's just so....boring and ugly. I long for my boar skull and crimson robe again.

But they're just so, so weak compared to Havel's set.

Booshka

Been rocking Havel's armor set (sans shield) + his ring for a while now. Is something better going to come along eventually? I'm able to mid-roll with this set-up but it's just so....boring and ugly. I long for my boar skull and crimson robe again.

Dont worry too much about the stats, any gear that you upgrade will be fine for defense, only thing that matters is poise and looks, the defense is not too big a deal.

I dress how I like. If I can't win in PVP with the gear I want to use I don't really care if I win. Play long enough that way and you'll start winning anyway.

Decided I'm definitely rolling with the Machete, but it's still cool to have the DGS for early-mid game dominance.

Mix and match. I quite like Havel's gloves, that little barbed wire look around them - can look good with lighter pieces like Dusk's set.

Like others say - look and poise are more important than defense. I'd say light roll is also very important. I always have light roll so his ring is a must, and just one piece of heavy gear like the Stone leggings.

Actually I have a general question relating to that - do different pieces of armour give better protection than others? Example - if two pieces had the same stats - gloves and chest piece - would the chest piece give better protection, or would they be the same? (Think if you got a sword through your back - would gloves protect from that, or would a body plate?) Hoping the answer is there's no difference at all :p

Amaron

Banned
Mix and match. I quite like Havel's gloves, that little barbed wire look around them - can look good with lighter pieces like Dusk's set.

Like others say - look and poise are more important than defense. I'd say light roll is also very important. I always have light roll so his ring is a must, and just one piece of heavy gear like the Stone leggings.

Actually I have a general question relating to that - do different pieces of armour give better protection than others? Example - if two pieces had the same stats - gloves and chest piece - would the chest piece give better protection, or would they be the same? (Think if you got a sword through your back - would gloves protect from that, or would a body plate?) Hoping the answer is there's no difference at all :p

No difference, they all contribute towards your defensive stat.

If I may make a suggestion: I know Havel's seems awesome and all, but after the nerf of the Darkwood Grain ring it really limits the options you have for weapons and shields. A really good tier armor that allows you to fast roll with some light weps and shields or a acceptable mid-roll is the elite-knight set. Fully upgraded to +10, it's one of the best armor sets imo and gives you decent poise on top. You only really ever need at least 40 Poise unless you're going for a PvP tank, tanking in PvE will become useless in NG+ and beyond.

Light roll isn't exactly a must, it really depends on your build and what kind of play-style you're going for. A parry and riposte knight can do very well with mid-tier armor for example. Though, if you're going to be using something like P. Scythe, then a fast roll usually is preferred for PvP, but a good player can do perfectly fine with a mid-roll.

Soulhouf

Not at all but that would be great if it was the case.
One of the aspects I liked in Vagrant Story is that each part of the body had its own defense.

Okay, how the hell are you supposed to kill (PTD spoiler)
Artorias?

Hard(er) way: Fast dodge / Cartwheel. Figure out what are the safe moves (sorry, I haven't played the boss in a while so can't remember) and take your time while attacking. Throw couple of firebombs/pyromancies/magic when he is doing his charging thing.

Easier way: Astorias Greatshield and tank all the hits.

No difference, they all contribute towards your defensive stat.

If I may make a suggestion: I know Havel's seems awesome and all, but after the nerf of the Darkwood Grain ring it really limits the options you have for weapons and shields. A really good tier armor that allows you to fast roll with some light weps and shields or a acceptable mid-roll is the elite-knight set. Fully upgraded to +10, it's one of the best armor sets imo and gives you decent poise on top. You only really ever need at least 40 Poise unless you're going for a PvP tank, tanking in PvE will become useless in NG+ and beyond.

Light roll isn't exactly a must, it really depends on your build and what kind of play-style you're going for. A parry and riposte knight can do very well with mid-tier armor for example. Though, if you're going to be using something like P. Scythe, then a fast roll usually is preferred for PvP, but a good player can do perfectly fine with a mid-roll.
Thanks.

Quick roll is a must for me definately, whatever the build. Without it I feel lost, and I've tried heavy-set builds, but I just need dat roll!

I do use the Elite Knights set often actually especially early on - one of the first things I do ina run is get the wolf ring and elite set. Usually upgrade to Stone leggings once I get Havel's ring.

Most important.
Stagger him when he does his charging.
Whenever you see him charging, run, 2hand and stagger him

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even when I do a two-handed lunge attack with a +13 Halberd, it won't stagger him :s

Got him down to a fifth health and he stun-locked me to death. More effective to fire an arrow at his head

Amaron

Banned
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even when I do a two-handed lunge attack with a +13 Halberd, it won't stagger him :s

Just two-hand and spam him as humanly possible, don't use R2 or the lunge attack with a halberd. Try to stock on some charcoal resin to add some flame to your weapon and also increase the chance of stagger.

Hard(er) way: Fast dodge / Cartwheel. Figure out what are the safe moves (sorry, I haven't played the boss in a while so can't remember) and take your time while attacking. Throw couple of firebombs/pyromancies/magic when he is doing his charging thing.

Easier way: Astorias Greatshield and tank all the hits.

I agree with these examples, except to flip their difficulty and say dodging is easier and tanking is harder. Also I'd suggest staying close to him at all times and two-handing your weapon on him until his charge stops. Stopping his charge is the most important part of this fight.

Sullichin

Got him down to a fifth health and he stun-locked me to death. More effective to fire an arrow at his head

I've fought him without a weapon good enough to get him out of his stagger... +13 halberd might not be strong enough to do it. I'd just hit him with an arrow while he does this or use the time to heal. It is safe to attack after he does his dashing lunge attack, and it is usually safe after he does his jumping slam attack as well.

sixghost

I fought him for the first time without a weapon that could stagger him, and it was easily the hardest fight in the game. There really isn't a trick to it, you just need to have his moves down pat. I'd try it 2-3 times doing nothing but dodging, trying to get a sense of what moves give you enough time to attack after dodging, or heal. My general rules were to heal whenever he charged up or I dodged the super jumping attack (if you need it obviously). Never try to heal or attack after dodging the attack that hits you 1-3 times unless you dodge the 3rd attack, since I could never figure out a tell which showed how many he was going to do. His lunging attacks were where I did most of my damage, once you learn to dodge those consistently, you can damage him pretty consistently.

Another trick I learned was that if you can time your attack to hit right as he is dodging away, you get the counter attack bonus, which adds up.

Beat him after about 15 attempts. Had to learn that there are only really 3 windows in which to it him

1: after rolling out the way of his glideing thrust
2: after avoiding 3 consecutive somersault slams (has to be all 3)
3: after dodging his masive slam

Just have to do
Manus&Kalameet
now. I keep dieing on the way to the former though when I rush

789shadow

Banned
Yeah, the one on a ledge near the pyromancy teacher's room. Anyway, got him, got to the bonfire.

I know the Basilisk Tunnels are coming up. Should I avoid them or go for it?

Yeah, the one on a ledge near the pyromancy teacher's room. Anyway, got him, got to the bonfire.

Go git 'em!

The ones in the Depths are super weak and usually die in 1-2 hits. I've never been cursed down there.

Dresden

The basilisks have an inflated reputation from people who don't know how to roll out of the evil black smoke cloud. Kill em all.

Seanspeed

Banned
The basilisks have an inflated reputation from people who don't know how to roll out of the evil black smoke cloud. Kill em all.
If you're using a guide and know they're coming up and what they can do, its not as big an issue.

I think their reputation comes from people who play through it blind, or at least mostly blind(like me) and have no idea what to expect.

Fuck
Kalameet
:(

Ha, someone invaded me right next to the bonfire, I rolled off a platform to my death in a panic and the guy followed me in time for it to count as a kill for me. 25,000 free souls

Soulhouf

I am confused.
Reading your posts, you seem to be playing the game for the first time, but then I'm not sure if that correct because you seem to know what you'll encounter next.

Are you using a guide? If so, I recommend against you do so because you're completely ruining your playthrough in addition to writing weird posts.

trying out a dex/bow build for the first time, after a dozen str-based charas. its crazy how trivial a longbow makes a lot of areas and monsters. even bosses like quelaag you can keep stagger locked if you hit her chest/head repeatedly.

any tips on bow types? or should i stick with the longbow?

trying out a dex/bow build for the first time, after a dozen str-based charas. its crazy how trivial a longbow makes a lot of areas and monsters. even bosses like quelaag you can keep stagger locked if you hit her chest/head repeatedly.

any tips on bow types? or should i stick with the longbow?

Longbow is best until you get the Darkmoon Bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom