• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bed of Chaos N+ can instant kill me now.

a44EMP6_460sa.gif

can anyone offer any tips with being summoned? what does it take to be a good phantom? i think someone posted that having healing spells in your attunement is a good thing so you dont have to rely on your partner to heal you. i thought that boss fight was fun, but it is kind of a bummer for me that im not going to help with any of the other boss fights right now because i am to high level (50). if you like to do multiplayer, is there a level you reach and you kind of quit leveling up and just do armor and weapons? if that 10% of your own level rule is real, it seems like you would get to a point where it would be really random for other people to be near you in level.

last question- how do i get these freaking skeletons to stay dead.
Yes, I always like to get the heal miracle just so I'm self-sufficient as a phantom. The heal miracle only requires 12 faith, so it's only a couple of points for most classes. Force also has the same faith requirement and if you can spare the slot is very useful for invaders. If you don't want to put the points into faith you can just farm humanity to heal yourself, but I wouldn't be so free about it as I would the heal spell. :)

In general put your summon sign at the nearest bonfire or in some cases outside the fog door (you'll have an idea for where it is in each area by now I bet).

Another tip for being a good white phantom is to not do everything for the host. It really pisses me off when I get summoned and another phantom is rushing ahead, opening doors/turning levers, killing everything etc - that's not helping because the host doesn't know what you've done or how you did it. I often black crystal out on those occasions because, well I'm not needed - I usually send the other phantom a message about it. Yeah I'm that type of guy!

I'd say this chart was still pretty spot on for summoning levels: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/1323119782398.jpg/288072208/873x671/1323119782398.jpg

This is what I get best results at (on PS3):
SL1-25 - Undead Burg (any higher than that and you're probably getting summoned by PvPers)
SL10-30 - Parish (lamer twink invasion hotspot)
SL15-25 - Lower Undead Burg
SL20-40 - Depths, Blighttown
SL30-45 - Sen's
SL-30-60 - Anor Londo
SL-50-80 - Everything else

I get summoned constantly in AL after 40, Dukes and Painted World after SL60 and constantly for 4 Kings around SL80. Even get summoned for Centipede Demon a few times around SL50-60.

Anor Londo, Dukes, Sen's, Astoria are the best farming spots for summons IMO.

ArynCrinn

Banned
can anyone offer any tips with being summoned? what does it take to be a good phantom? i think someone posted that having healing spells in your attunement is a good thing so you dont have to rely on your partner to heal you. i thought that boss fight was fun, but it is kind of a bummer for me that im not going to help with any of the other boss fights right now because i am to high level (50). if you like to do multiplayer, is there a level you reach and you kind of quit leveling up and just do armor and weapons? if that 10% of your own level rule is real, it seems like you would get to a point where it would be really random for other people to be near you in level.

last question- how do i get these freaking skeletons to stay dead.

Not to be an ass or anything, but why not just learn the game the hard way and kill them solo? It'll be much more gratifying than summoning help or using Solaire to make the fight easy mode. That goes for anybody first time through, imo.

Here's me shitfaced drunk on Jager killing O&S using Solaire, and you can see and easy the game becomes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr6PwlZxh4Y

Skeletons stay dead after a kill from a Divine weapon or by killing the Necromancers. I don't even bother with Divine anymore, I either just rush past all the skeletons and kill the Necromancers. Or simply ignore them all and rush Pinwheel and kill him.

Cranzor

I've been leveling up vitality and endurance pretty much exclusively. I'm using a +5 uchigatana and its super ineffective. I'm trying to beat Quelaag and I'm hitting 30s and 40s. Is my only option to grind for souls in order to level up my sword further or to increase my stats that contribute to weapon damage? I'm trying not to summon when I don't have to.

Booshka

I've been leveling up vitality and endurance pretty much exclusively. I'm using a +5 uchigatana and its super ineffective. I'm trying to beat Quelaag and I'm hitting 30s and 40s. Is my only option to grind for souls in order to level up my sword further or to increase my stats that contribute to weapon damage? I'm trying not to summon when I don't have to.

Best bet would be to try and get that Uchi to +10 through Andre back at the Undead Parish. If you went through the Depths you should have a Large Ember to give to him to modify that Uchi from +5 to +6 and onward to +10. The leech enemies in the swamps of Blighttown drop the Large Titanite Shards you need for upgrading. They also drop Green Shards. It may be a long trip up there and back, but it will definitely be worth it. Also, if you have any Gold Pine resin, add that to your blade before you fight and you will deal a lot more damage.

If you are leveling Vit and End right now that is fine and will keep you alive. Upgrading your gear should be your other main priority, then when you get your weapon pretty well upgraded, +11 and beyond, then you can start cranking levels on Dexterity for damage scaling. Invest in your gear though, don't obsess over leveling with your Souls, use them to buy consumables and upgrade gear.

mrbagdt

I'll keep the advice in mind. Thanks guys.

i didnt upgrade anything past +5 until i hit anor londo. in the end, that was probably a dumb decision, but i mostly did that because i didnt want to make the trip all the way to andre. id at least recommend going to andre to get a few items to +6 and then you can do the rest of your upgrading and repairing at a bonfire for a bit. if you take the shortcut that goes to from valley of the drakes to new londo ruins, its a pretty short trip, or you can go back from the way you came in to blighttown. i agree though that it would be worth it for you to make the trek. of course, if you do kill quellag, you will be heading that way next regardless.

Altazor

Altazor's Mage Adventures in Lordran: Crystal Blue Persuasion

After the oppresive darkness of Tomb of the Giants (fuck that place!), it's always good to come back to the golden sunlight that bathes Anor Londo. Of course, I don't mean to stay in the lost city per se this time - I'm heading to the Scaleless' domains.

The way was blocked by two nice armored boars. And then I discover my sorceries aren't doing much damage to those beasts... but neither do my weapons. Oops. I'm forced to make do with what I have and I managed to beat the first one by abusing its "leashing point" or whatever it's called - couldn't follow me outside the Archives, so I attacked from there.
I approached the second one with the same strategy, and when I managed to lure him near the entrance, I misjudged and started casting something... and the boar ran over me and a certain message appeared on my screen: YOU DIED.

That would be the first of many.

After dealing with the boar, I managed to clear the big hall from the annoying Channeler and the crystal archers there and took the elevator to Seath's crystal room. Only I forgot there was this hollow dude with a crystalized armor before Seath... and I made the stupid mistake of switching from my sorceries to a melee weapon+Great Magic Weapon (and I don't know exactly why - I think I was experimenting a bit) and got crushed. YOU DIED... again.

So I spawned back at the first bonfire, and when I went back to the main hall with the Channeler... well, let's just say I tried to take him down with Homing Soulmass and I got ambushed by a crystal undead and a couple of archers and died there, losing my souls and my sweet humanity. Man, I was pissed. I know losing souls isn't that important, but I was pissed at myself for making a fucking rookie mistake - not checking if there were enemies waiting to ambush me. I paid the price. YOU DIED.

Another try - this one fared much better. Took the elevator again. Decided to stick with sorceries. Homing Soulmass = the crystalized armor guy was dead in, like, a second. And then I thought "you idiot, if you hadn't switched your strategy needlessly you would've battered the guy the first time". Oh well. Shit happens.

Then the usual: dying against Seath in an unwinnable encounter, then respawning in that cage and then fighting the Pisacas... OH SHIT, I got careless and one of them grabbed me and almost killed me. Thanfkully I managed to avoid death and got my revenge on those slimy tentacled monsters (ew, that sounds like a hentai gone bad).

After all that, it was certainly a more "annoying" than "difficult" level: the enemies on this stage almost suffer no damage from my weapons and I don't want to spend all my sorceries before reaching the second bonfire. So I try to be careful. Those pesky Channelers almost (ALMOST) managed to get me, especially when combined with the archers... but I survived. And I got all the loot (save for the Avelyn, because fuck trying to reach that shit and not dying), and I saved Logan and bought the much-useful Homing Crystal Soulmass - because the only bad thing thing about HCS is that it's almost too good.

After a short break, I decided to liberate Sieglinde and tackle the Crystal Caves. When I went down to the courtyard... I'd say it was that "reality check" I thought I had coming a while ago. The Crystal Golems were resistant to my melee attacks (except for the Crystal Halberd, but more on that later) and taking them down with sorceries meant I had to use at least 4 castings of GSA to kill ONE. With that said... I dunno why but this time around the Crystal Golems were much more aggresive with my Mage than they ever were with my melee char - it was a matter of touching the ground and walking just a little bit and I suddenly had 3 golems hell-bent on kicking my ass. I had to climb the ladder and snipe them from above. Lengthy and boring, but it worked... though at the cost of several castings. Aw man.

Anyway, managed to rescue Sieglinde. Went back to the bonfire. Came down to the courtyard and tried to employ a (mostly melee) strategy and it worked decently. An upgraded Crystal Halberd was the best weapon I could use against them... then I realized the thing had already lost 3 durability points. I had to be careful if I wanted to traverse the whole Crystal Cave while avoiding to break the damn weapon.

And so... into the Cave I ventured. Took down the first Golem by luring it away from the cave and back into the courtyard and employed the same strategy as before. No biggie.

Then reached that golem after the first invisible path and... the goddamn thing managed to throw me off the platform when I was blocking. Too strong. My mistake. YOU DIED.

Let's give it another try. Courtyard, cave, golems, invisible path - then that battle. And, while I managed to recover my shit, I still got pushed off the edge, ugh. YOU DIED.

Again. Then when I reached that platform, the golem decided to CORNER ME and I fell to my death without recovering my stuff. Woe is me. YOU DIED.

Pissed off - I quit. Well, not REALLY, but things were not working correctly. So I decided to leave the Crystal Cave for a while and do something a bit different, yet still challenging...

TO BE CONTINUED.

Vitten

haha interesting stuff. Seath's domaine and the crystal caves are annoying for a mage cos everything there is resistant to magic, especially the golems.

The golems are quite slow though, my advice would be to just ignore and sprint passed them. They're not worth the time and effort unless you want to farm them for blue titanite chunks.

Divius

I just did Duke's/Seath with a mage build as well, it is indeed quite hard. I don't know what melee weapons you are using, but the weapon you get from cutting off Seath's tale is definitely worth it for a mage build.

eot

Banned
Finally got past Manus on my SL1 run. Maybe stacking damage buffs is a bit cheap but what the hell. If I ever do a no pyro run it's going to be way harder.

haha interesting stuff. Seath's domaine and the crystal caves are annoying for a mage cos everything there is resistant to magic, especially the golems.

The golems are quite slow though, my advice would be to just ignore and sprint passed them. They're not worth the time and effort unless you want to farm them for blue titanite chunks.

My first time there I had to use the demon catalyst because it have fire damage so I poke them, HARD,

Fear me Seath I poked you to death!!

Altazor

I just did Duke's/Seath with a mage build as well, it is indeed quite hard. I don't know what melee weapons you are using, but the weapon you get from cutting off Seath's tale is definitely worth it for a mage build.

My first time there I had to use the demon catalyst because it have fire damage so I poke them, HARD,

Fear me Seath I poked you to death!!

Thanks for the advice, guys! As for the melee weapons I've been using... well, my Mage can't use "heavy" weapons because my STR isn't enough, so I've been using spears, longswords and halberds, mostly. Oh, and a Claymore.

I guess I'll try running past the golems. Hopefully that doesn't backfire.

Finally got past Manus on my SL1 run. Maybe stacking damage buffs is a bit cheap but what the hell. If I ever do a no pyro run it's going to be way harder.

Hell yeah, man! Congrats on that. Manus is really aggresive, so beating him/it/whatevs in a SL1 run must feel really amazing. Great accomplishment, man! You defeated :)

EDIT: Also, the next installment of my Mage's adventures will be online in a couple of hours, I guess. SO DON'T FRET, BE PATIENT (?)

Divius

Thanks for the advice, guys! As for the melee weapons I've been using... well, my Mage can't use "heavy" weapons because my STR isn't enough, so I've been using spears, longswords and halberds, mostly. Oh, and a Claymore.
The weapon from Seath's tail requires 16 Strength but it's definitely worth it to upgrade to that. The weapon has an S scaling with INT, A super awesome (ranged) R2 attack and it looks baller.

Altazor

The weapon from Seath's tail requires 16 Strength but it's definitely worth it to upgrade to that. The weapon has an S scaling with INT, A super awesome (ranged) R2 attack and it looks baller.

IIRC, my Mage has 18 STR. So I'm definitely getting the Moonlight Greatsword. I failed to get it with my melee char, so I'm hoping I can get it this time.

Altazor

Apologies for double posting, but here it is...

Altazor's Mage Adventures in Lordran: Gotta get back in time

After my relative failure in progressing through Seath's domain, I decided I would do a bit of the additional content. Test the waters, so to speak. The DLC bosses are quite hard (Artorias gave me HELL during my melee playthrough until I changed my strategies) so I was curious to see how my mage would fare against these threats.

That the way to the portal to Oolacile was filled with Crystal Golems I found grimly funny. At least these ones were easier to beat.

Sanctuary Garden! A small hallway and then the fight with the cool looking but very annoying Sanctuary Guardian. A guardian in the garden, play on words, alliteration, whatever. I had to use my Eagle Shield because it's the only one with decent Lightning resistance of the ones that I've got. Fair enough.

My first try went disastrously - but I intended that. I was testing the guardian's rhythm, how fast it would move, how frequents its attacks, its range, its weakness. I didn't get all I wanted from the round, but at least I knew Homing Crystal Soulmass wouldn't be very useful considering the Guardian tends to move quickly and whenever it would see me casting it meant an immediate attack. And those... hurt.

So the second try was about trying to actually damage it with sorceries - GSAs did too little. Heavy Soul Arrows (and Great Heavies) were too slow to use during the combat... but that meant I had to find a window in which the Guardian would NOT attack. So first I tried to cast the arrows when the Guardian was doing that GUST thingie that depletes your stamina.

Didn't work.

Third try, I got screwed by one of its lightning attacks... the one where the Guardian flies around you in a circle and throws you a lightning ball? Yeah, that one. Square in the face, I didn't manage to get my shield on time. And it was a shame, because I already managed to find that window I was looking for: after the Guardian flied at me, there's a small timeframe where it tries to recover from the attack. The GHSA could be reasonably cast without penalties during that time. But, as I already said, I got fucked up by lightning. In the immortal words of a certain JC Denton: what a shame.

And now, the fourth try. Same strategy as before, but being extra careful of roll dodging the lightning balls. It usually worked, except for those times I was being sloppy and slow... but I still managed to heal. Wait for the Guardian to fly at the mage. Roll. Cast GHSA. Watch the Guardian's lifebar slowly drain. Rinse and repeat.

I emerged annoyed. Victorious, but annoyed. Never liked the Guardian. And the thing's just trying to do its job, I guess. And it does it well. Aw shucks.

Royal Wood and its Stone Guardians were a major source of pain during my melee playthrough - I must've died countless times before figuring out WHEN to roll to avoid getting hit by those things. In my defense, I'm a shtity roller. Wait, that's not really a defense... anyway - during THIS playthrough, I mostly knew the timings, so the SG were not as annoying as I thought they'd be. Plus, Homing Crystal Soulmass helped quite a bit.
So after defeating those gardeners/scarecrow and some of the Guardians... I began to cross the bridge. Kalameet and his red eye appeared before me, flew away and I began to lure the Stone Guardians from the other side one by one. The first one was destroyed without much hassle.

When I was battling the second one, I fell. YES, I had lock-on and was facing away from the chasm and I fell. STUPID CAMERA. Or maybe, stupid me. Either way, it was a very stupid YOU DIED and I was very pissed off.

Clearing that Royal Wood again wasn't very fun. But I managed to do it and I reached my bloodstain and I was careful NOT to fall again. Twice in a row would be idiotic... thankfully I avoided it. Murphy's Law didn't apply this time, yay! After all that I managed to activate the shortcut to the first RW area (while running and avoiding the 2 Stone Guardians because FUCK TRYING TO BATTLE BOTH OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME. No sir, I don't want that) and then retreating to the bonfire because I knew what would come next. Artorias the Abysswalker.

I approached him with caution. I cast HCS to see how useful it would be... it wasn't very much, considering he (just like the Sanctuary Garden) moves quites a lot. But I still managed to damage him. Using the HSAs and GHSAs when he was stationary helped, too.

Then he impaled me.

Round two: same strategy, but with a bit more roll dodge. Mostly worked, but after he was charged up... he managed to eat through my shield and took like 3/4 of my life in a single hit. Ouch. The rest of the fight was nothing to write about, except that it ended on my death and I had some other things to do, so I decided to leave this be for a while. Refocus, relax and after all that, I would retry.

After a couple of hours, I was ready for the battle. And I kept the strategy, because it was working - I was damaging him considerably. It was just that he would punish me because I wasn't moving very much. I was trying to tank him with a non-tank character (of course, in my subconscious I still thought I was using my melee char) so when I started moving and rolling and side-stepping and all that jazz... things were much smoother and I managed to take him down without me dying. Victory achieved, and a small feeling of sadness for the Hero with nary of murmur of Dark who fell prey to the Abyss.

Township bonfire. I always liked the Oolacile Township... though I've always hated those damn Bloathead Sorcerers and that fucking dark magic they use. During this time I managed to get the Silver Pendant and a couple of carvings without dying, but I decided to stop the playthrough before advancing very much. Reaching the abyss would be something to do some other day.

cj_iwakura

Four kings wrecking my face in repeatedly.

Toughest boss in the game, especially solo. Go melee if you can and get behind the first one, kill ASAP with your strongest weapon. He has a very predictable tell if you're about to get ganked up close.

Kacar

Toughest boss in the game, especially solo. Go melee if you can and get behind the first one, kill ASAP with your strongest weapon. He has a very predictable tell if you're about to get ganked up close.
Beat him now. I equipped the ring of favor and protection. This let me have full havels armor and I basically just sat there and didn't block him at all his attacks were barely hurting so I got each one down before the other one was up.

cj_iwakura

Beat him now. I equipped the ring of favor and protection. This let me have full havels armor and I basically just sat there and didn't block him at all his attacks were barely hurting so I got each one down before the other one was up.

Congrats. Now try NG+ and suffer! :D

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is Dark Souls II seriously not coming out for PS4?

Not as far as we know at the moment. I wouldn't be all that shocked if it got a port down the line, but I suspect there's basically no chance for that to be announced until after the PS3, 360, and PC versions are out.

Altazor

I planned another large-ish update for today but I'm too pissed off so a small list will suffice... I guess :p

1- Managed to beat Four Kings on my second try. Homing Crystal Soulmass was incredibly useful.
2- Beat Firesage Demon by spamming Soul Spears, even though he killed me a couple of times. Oh well, I still won.
3- Fuck Kalameet. This guy's the one that fucked my day up. I won't bother you with explaining in depth how many times he killed me and how I fucked up time and time again. So let's just say I lost count of my deaths. And the only thing that does enough damage to him is Soul Spear... but they aren't enough. So when I'm out of Soul Spears, I'm fucked. The GHSAs are too fucking slow. The GSAs barely do enough damage. Homing Crystal Soulmass isn't good enough, either. Damn this thing. I'll just... leave it for later. I guess I'll pick up the Izalith Catalyst or something.

I planned another large-ish update for today but I'm too pissed off so a small list will suffice... I guess :p

1- Managed to beat Four Kings on my second try. Homing Crystal Soulmass was incredibly useful.
2- Beat Firesage Demon by spamming Soul Spears, even though he killed me a couple of times. Oh well, I still won.
3- Fuck Kalameet. This guy's the one that fucked my day up. I won't bother you with explaining in depth how many times he killed me and how I fucked up time and time again. So let's just say I lost count of my deaths. And the only thing that does enough damage to him is Soul Spear... but they aren't enough. So when I'm out of Soul Spears, I'm fucked. The GHSAs are too fucking slow. The GSAs barely do enough damage. Homing Crystal Soulmass isn't good enough, either. Damn this thing. I'll just... leave it for later. I guess I'll pick up the Izalith Catalyst or something.

Try to no autolock Kalameet always, most of his moves let you pretty unguarded for a mage, In N+ I can only deal 66 of damage with my basic spear so crew him and Manus.

6for8

My favorite place to put down my sign with my lvl 35 mage is right in front of the Art fog. 44INT so its stats are a little extreme but once the tail is off Kal dies in under 30seconds. I have 4 slots and use power within, 2helpings of crystal soul spear and a dark bead. Rings are the bellowing ring and the flip ring, if it is a NG+ or higher I switch the flip ring for the dusk ring after the tail comes off and that lets me use the Tin Catalyst. Dance around eating green blossoms and when he puts his tail down run beside and hit it with bead. No need to lock on, just look at the tail and bead will hit it. Two castings should be enough. Then put on the dusk ring and that will give you 50% more soul spears or if you are using the Tin Catalyst your total will be what you started with at the cost of half of your health. Cast PowerWithin and hit him with your spears.

If you don't like switching rings midfight, have the dusk ring on at the start. This should give you enough spears to finish him off.

Use your highest stability shield. I only have 10 strength so it's the Tower Kite shield with 72 stability. Only 8 END but I can take a tail blow and keep on rolling. His breath is magic based but it is dark magic that has a physical element to it and will break a crest shields guard leaving you wide open. Of course, if you can use the Eagle shield easy mode will be engaged.

I have also chopped off the tail with enchanted weapons. Long sword and the Lucerne both have A scaling so if your INT is over 40 (of course it is) enchanted is the path to take.

For the last couple of weeks I have been cursing that character and then I put on the dusk ring and the red ring. Get my health down to 22hp, send the host a message and drop them some humanity to heal and walk down and vaporize Kalmeet. After you cast PW you only lose 3-4hp over duration of the spell so the health drain isn't a concern. Too bad a patch removed the double curse effect so I could put on the bellowing ring as well.

If you are on ps3 I can help. Any level.

Tucah

you speak so well
So Dark Souls GAF, I'm playing this for the first time. I know I'm not great at the game or anything but holy shit fuck Ornstein and Smough. Easily the most frustrated I've been so far, can't seem to get a grip on it yet. Tried summoning a couple people but everyone I got was utterly useless :(

Altazor

If you are on ps3 I can help. Any level.

thanks a lot of that! Your help is appreciated. But I'm playing on PC and offline mode (because GFWL could never connect to anything, so I've been playing offline since... the beginning).

Thanks again. anyway :)

So Dark Souls GAF, I'm playing this for the first time. I know I'm not great at the game or anything but holy shit fuck Ornstein and Smough. Easily the most frustrated I've been so far, can't seem to get a grip on it yet. Tried summoning a couple people but everyone I got was utterly useless :(

dodge, dodge, dodge, use the pillars for cover. Be on the lookout for BOTH of them. Don't be afraid of summoning Solaire if you get stuck, he can be of immense help on the first phase of the fight.

EDIT: I beat Seath and got the Moonlight Greatsword, yay! :D

For a easy battle kill Ornstein first then kill Smoug, use the pillars to avoid getting hit by both of them and yeah use Solaire to tank one of them to give you a breath.

EDIT:

Thanks Booshka, I am meditating to face them next week.

Also if you didn't work it out already, only attack one of them because you can't kill both (when they are together, obv)

And as always, make sure your weapon is up to the job. By Anor Londo you should be sporting a +10 weapon at least.

You can easily cheese the first phase with arrows and/or pyromancy if you have to

Tucah

you speak so well
Thanks for the tips guys, I used Solaire and beat it easily - the first phase was simple once one was tanked and the second phase wasn't that difficult either. Phew, glad that's over.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yesterday I was watching a pretty decent speedrun until the dude got killed by Kalameet in the weirdest way.

I watched that too. He got killed just as he got him, still counted! He should've made a highlight of it. The doges screwed him over minutes later on Capra. New WR is coming though, from either Santzo or Ela.

Servbot24

Banned
Made it to Manus... god damn. I guess its just a matter of becoming intimately familiar with his patterns, but still, one tiny slip-up and you're dead. Shouldn't have waited til NG+ to do the DLC. :p

edit, FUCK i finally got him halfway down and he was just like ACTUALLY, here you go and threw magic junk at me >:[

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It was a deathless run as well, very impressive. It can still be improved, but only by having better rng on bosses (O&S and Kalameet were slow fights). This one'll probably stick for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom