• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I did O&S recently on my 2hander run, and their intro is just all out badass. Right off the bat these two intimidate the shit out of you with that intro. It's been a while since I saw it and the fear immediately came back. Then the little scene where S absorbs the power... The most iconic boss battle I've played in recent years tbh.

btw the Zwei... I love it so much. I've never dealt with the knights in Anor Lando this quickly. Pancake all day.

edit: good fight fermbiz! Great lightning dodge there near the end.

Frologic

I have NEVER had trouble with Iron Golemn before (or Sen's Fortress in general really) but for some reason he's kicking my shit in ._.

He just won't fall off.

I just beat it for the first time right now! It seemed impossible but I learned a trick to make it super easy. Roll under the legs, he can never hit you. I had the biggest shit eating grin defeating him, he couldn't even hit me. Sorry if this is common knowledge, so excited I defeated him

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just beat it for the first time right now! It seemed impossible but I learned a trick to make it super easy. Roll under the legs, he can never hit you. I had the biggest shit eating grin defeating him, he couldn't even hit me. Sorry if this is common knowledge, so excited I defeated him

Good luck with Anor Londo! Hope you have skillz
or else the game will wreck your shit.

Wanderer's Set has good defenses for a starter set, and the normal Knight set is pretty decent as well. Maiden/Dingy have some of the best light armor pieces in them, and Gargoyle Helm has really good def/poise/weight for a Twinkling armor. But at that SL, defenses will always be a secondary concern, since whatever you wear, there's a chance you're gonna get one-shotted by anything the bosses use(counter hit, stagger extra damage).

Roll, roll, roll. Get a Chaos/Lightning Dagger +5 and stab away. Might want to enter the fight in Red Tearstone status so you can take them out faster than they spawn.

Well at +10 it's enough to avoid getting one-shot by *most* everything when set up right, though a lot of bosses need an extra defense ring, so that's why I was asking.

Watching some PvP battles right now, I think I'm totally gonna start doing this when DS2 comes out.

I think I'm going to do my first Zwei run before DSII drops. The limited move set never really interested me, but I kinda just have the urge to flatten shit.

It's funny that apparently people don't know what Red Soapstones, and their signs are for.

Oh well, humanity for me.

SL5 PvP goes so well. :/

Just clutched my way through one of the best boss fights I've had so far with Dark Souls.

Dragon Slayer Ornstein/Executioner Smough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7sgN5aPDqU

Took me about a week to defeat them....Nice way to start my new year :)

Nice job! You figured out a good game plan just in time. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened at the 6:15 mark. I could never figure out how to dodge that AoE lightning attack either.

Nice job! You figured out a good game plan just in time. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened at the 6:15 mark. I could never figure out how to dodge that AoE lightning attack either.

Abuse the moment of invulnerability. When you dodge there's a split second in which you can't be hit, and basically you have to use that to your advantage. At least, that's the way it is for me.

Abuse the moment of invulnerability. When you dodge there's a split second in which you can't be hit, and basically you have to use that to your advantage. At least, that's the way it is for me.

Haha. Yeah, but it's knowing when to roll that is trouble. Watch the 6:10 or so mark in the video. How on earth do you dodge that?

Edit: Seriously, Fermbiz gets hit at 6:15. What am I missing?

Blinck

Just clutched my way through one of the best boss fights I've had so far with Dark Souls.

Very nice man! When you ran out of flasks it was really nail bitting but you stepped up your game and showed that fatty who's in charge!

Great work to start off the new year :D Now take the elevator up, rest at the bonfire, enter the room, turn the music up and listen to that amazing OST white you bathe your eyes in those sweet sweet...well you'll see :D

EDIT:

Haha. Yeah, but it's knowing when to roll that is trouble. Watch the 6:10 or so mark in the video. How on earth do you dodge that?

Edit: Seriously, Fermbiz gets hit at 6:15. What am I missing?

Noticed this as well and it's freaking me out. I think it's a bug, I really don't see what else it could be.

Ruuppa

Nice win over the hardest boss of the game! Could have abused the stagger a bit more, but that could also get you killed.

Noticed this as well and it's freaking me out. I think it's a bug, I really don't see what else it could be.

Based hitboxes and laggy hit-detection, hurrah! It gets fun when Super Ornstein starts jumping through walls and dying of fall-damage.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Ugh, Gwyn was a pain for my no-shield, melee-only knight. Tried to fight him honorably at first (i.e. no parrying), but he was extremely aggressive and would always manage to get in a hit right before I finished sipping estus.

After about ten tries, I relented and ended up just riposting him to death. No satisfaction, only frustration. Dammit. I had enjoyed the last several hours of that playthrough so much, too.

Didn't quite finish my first game (176 hours, Sorceror though I started as a Pyro). Still need to grind for some Humanity and do some other stuff before leaving for NG+

...so I started a new game trying a Dexterity build / Faith secondary.

Did get through the Catacombs after cleaning the Undead Burg of treasure.

It was very hard trying to get through the Catacombs with only a Winged Spear +1 and no Divine Weaponry at level 15 or so...was kicking Skeletons off cliffs or running past them to kill the first Necromancer so I could clear the first part...took 2 backstabs and 2 firebombs to kill him...on about the 30th try. Eventually skipped Necromancer 2 and went to the boss via jumping down and killed him with some pine resin and Leeroy...I don't see how Newbies could possibly go this route without quitting...wow. Maybe Strength builds or something.

It's really hard resisting sorcery - I love playing Wizards - I already burned one point on INT to get Soul Arrow to help cheese the Undead Dragon a bit faster.

So did the backward route through the Valley of the Drakes to get to Undead Parish. Still haven't killed the Gargoyles or the Taurus Demon yet.

Running around at level 23 or so helping folks beat the Gargoyles and such. Kept getting ganked by folks killing newbies with maxed Pyromancy and advanced weaponry though...nice...nice. Including one guy who summoned me so his red phantom buddy could kill me. Really? :S

I did work with one decent newbie and we killed a ganker between us...with my Astora Straight Sword +4..that felt good. I think I'll try to go farther as level 24 and see if I can swing back and surprise some gankers.

It was very hard trying to get through the Catacombs with only a Winged Spear +1 and no Divine Weaponry at level 15 or so...was kicking Skeletons off cliffs or running past them to kill the first Necromancer so I could clear the first part...took 2 backstabs and 2 firebombs to kill him...on about the 30th try. Eventually skipped Necromancer 2 and went to the boss via jumping down and killed him with some pine resin and Leeroy...I don't see how Newbies could possibly go this route without quitting...wow. Maybe Strength builds or something.
I think I enjoy kicking the skellies off cliffs more than killing them XD

Poison arrows come in handy for Necromancers #2 & #3, although these days I just tend to run past them all since the only reason I don't drop down to the boss is if I want a fire weapon first.

Most people could do the Catacombs a lot earlier than they do, I guess you hit the graveyard first thing, think "NOPE!" and then forget about it because you're too busy ringing bells and whatnot.

mrbagdt

Poison arrows come in handy for Necromancers #2 & #3, although these days I just tend to run past them all since the only reason I don't drop down to the boss is if I want a fire weapon first.

Most people could do the Catacombs a lot earlier than they do, I guess you hit the graveyard first thing, think "NOPE!" and then forget about it because you're too busy ringing bells and whatnot.

so to me, the best thing about going down there is 1) rite of kindling and 2) humanity farming from babies

are there some really good items that people want to get down there or what? i started a second playthrough and i didnt see much point in going until i finished anor londo.

Sullichin

so to me, the best thing about going down there is 1) rite of kindling and 2) humanity farming from babies

are there some really good items that people want to get down there or what? i started a second playthrough and i didnt see much point in going until i finished anor londo.

Gravelord Sword is a great early weapon, and on lower level runs you'll probably want to go to the catacombs early to make a fire/chaos weapon. Going all the way to TotG just to farm humanity in the beginning is crazy.

mrbagdt

Gravelord Sword is a great early weapon, and on lower level runs you'll probably want to go to the catacombs early to make a fire/chaos weapon. Going all the way to TotG just to farm humanity in the beginning is crazy.

well obviously you cant go down there to farm humanity until you get the lordvessel. i just found that farming it there was 10x faster than anything else that i tried.

Sullichin

well obviously you cant go down there to farm humanity until you get the lordvessel. i just found that farming it there was 10x faster than anything else that i tried.

Oh right, I actually forgot that area was behind the fog gate. Was just thinking about going to TotG in general before the lordvessel, which is a pain. As for humanity, the chasm of the abyss in the DLC is by far the best place to farm it, with the skeleton babies probably coming in second place (but much more annoying)

Ruuppa

There's the Great Scythe and Lucerne if you're into that sort of thing, and if you want to access Darkmoon Blade early, you have to make the trip. But like Sullichin said, it's mostly useful because you can get Fire/Chaos weapons early. Oh, and getting the Skull Lantern is useful for the DLC, if you don't have enough Int for Cast Light.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just defeated Havel The Rock. I didn't think I ever could, but eventually, it was easier then expected. His attacks are really slow. Roll, light-strike with greatsword, repeat.
That ring sure comes in handy. :D

jbI22yjnJNTde.png
Longsword and Greatsword both V5.
Too bad you can't upgrade the defense for shields. Atleast, not yet.
Rang one bell. Those gargoyles where something else! But, just like Havel, not that bad in retrospect.

Yeah, too hard at first, then I never got around to getting a decent divine weapon for going in there since I read that it helps keep the Skeletons from resurrecting (didn't have enough Faith for the Astora Straight Sword). I didn't do it until well after Anor Lando, at that point I killed Pinwheel in like 4 hits.

I didn't have the female undead merchant unlocked for poison arrows, that would have been handy. Still not there (Since I skipped the Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles so far) although I think I could go unlock the shortcut now.

I kind of want to get some buffer gear and kill the people ganking folks in Undead Parish...that would be fun.

Mindlog

Doing a bow/crossbow only character is better than I thought.
I started playing again with a Dex/Uchi character. Always had a bow, but never used it for some reason. On a whim I tried it out and it's surprisingly strong. It trivialized the O&S fight almost as much as the old Crystal Ring Shield. Using the Pharis Bow right now and it's weird being able to pop heads in Dark Souls with relative ease.

Finally got to the DLC for the first time. New Dark Souls content! I was having an easy go with the first encounter, but right before I finished I noticed something I was going to miss. Quit and picked it up the next day and got the item I thought would be there. This DLC is going to be a cake walk :smug:

Soulhouf

Oh right, I actually forgot that area was behind the fog gate. Was just thinking about going to TotG in general before the lordvessel, which is a pain. As for humanity, the chasm of the abyss in the DLC is by far the best place to farm it, with the skeleton babies probably coming in second place (but much more annoying)

I prefer the baby skeletons because i don't have to go back to the bonfire to make them respawn. I do it once and return with 99 humanities in my pockets.
You only need a fast vertical slashing weapon, a repair powder and the ring of Evil Eye and you're good to go.

Ruuppa

Finally beat O&S with my SL1. The first part of the fight is horrifying, trying to strafe all the time and get S somewhat separated so I could bait him into the jumping attack. Super Ornstein was surprisingly tough to hit with a Fire Orb, I only managed to get him with my last one. Only took 15+ tries!

Other than that, I've mostly been dying in geometry. Off a cliff here, into a pit there.. It's worse than most enemies for me.

eot

Banned
Finally beat O&S with my SL1. The first part of the fight is horrifying, trying to strafe all the time and get S somewhat separated so I could bait him into the jumping attack. Super Ornstein was surprisingly tough to hit with a Fire Orb, I only managed to get him with my last one. Only took 15+ tries!

Other than that, I've mostly been dying in geometry. Off a cliff here, into a pit there.. It's worse than most enemies for me.

When you get to the DLC you'll be dreaming about 15 tries :p

Ruuppa

When you get to the DLC you'll be dreaming about 15 tries :p

Everything will be resistant to everything except Physical damage. Yes. Fun will be had. Artorias alone will take me approximately 50 tries. At least Reinforced Club has more range than fist weapons, so there's that.

Is the dusk crown a nogo for everyone at 4 kings? Im about to go at them witth a vit 10, char which is why im just confirming. Wish i had more room for power within. Do fire or lightning resins work good on them or anything? Ima have to have a huge offense with 10 vit there. O and s were a joke tho since its really easy to dodge all of their attacks

Frologic

So I just got some Havel Rock Armour and its stats look better than all the armour I currently have (besides poison resistance and fire resistance armour). It's ugly but I guess I should just stick with it? I was really hoping the silver knight armour was going to be better, it's so pretty.

Inskipp

Is the dusk crown a nogo for everyone at 4 kings? Im about to go at them witth a vit 10, char which is why im just confirming. Wish i had more room for power within. Do fire or lightning resins work good on them or anything? Ima have to have a huge offense with 10 vit there. O and s were a joke tho since its really easy to dodge all of their attacks
The four kings use physical and magic damage, so I don't think either of those resistance- types would benefit you for that fight.

Ugh I want the Dlc but I can't justify the 15 bucks when I paid 5 for the base game
Pretend you paid for them the other way around, it's still only $20 combined ;)
It is a short DLC though. 2 areas, one becomes just a run through after doing it once, but you get 4 tough new bosses and some nice new gear.

I think it's worth it if you plan on playing the game more than once, especially if you want to do more PvP since Oolacile Township is the go to area for mid-upper level (soul level) PvP now.

So I just got some Havel Rock Armour and its stats look better than all the armour I currently have (besides poison resistance and fire resistance armour). It's ugly but I guess I should just stick with it? I was really hoping the silver knight armour was going to be better, it's so pretty.
Go with what you like the look of, armour stats never make enough of a difference to me to consider them on pure physical defense alone.

Ruuppa

As long as it doesn't cripple your movement, use whatever you like. You should always aim for at least 33(36?) Poise however, so getting nicked by a paper plane doesn't stagger you. In PVE it's good to have just enough Poise to avoid stagger, but not enough to avoid getting knocked on your ass by big attacks. Those invincibility frames from getting knocked down save lives.

MrDaravon

The Crystal Cave has oddly broken me. I think I've identified my only major complaint with the game; one-shot deaths by falling. It's fucking infuriating.

mannerbot

The Crystal Cave has oddly broken me. I think I've identified my only major complaint with the game; one-shot deaths by falling. It's fucking infuriating.

I just did that yesterday. It was annoying at first but
why don't you just look at where the snow is falling or use prism stones to see where it's safe to walk? After the first time through you can just run past every enemy as well.

MrDaravon

I just did that yesterday. It was annoying at first but
why don't you just look at where the snow is falling or use prism stones to see where it's safe to walk? After the first time through you can just run past every enemy as well.

I had like 3 deaths were I was clearly on a straight (invisible) path, but must have just very slightly gone off, and then died. The limited indicator the game gives you for the paths seems dicey on the last path for whatever reason. Or I'm terrible. Either way, I absolutely hate most of the falling deaths in this game.

Dont forget the blue titanite slab in that cave guarded by the most trollest invisible path in the game.

Just cleared the area, looked at the wiki and saw I missed that, but fuck that shit, don't care.

MrDaravon

I finally had to look up how to find Vamos finally. I could hear where he was, but I was totally barking up the wrong tree in trying to find out how to get there, Jesus Christ.

Edit: Oh what in the flying fuck. So after dying more to the Bed of Chaos more than probably the next 5 things in the game combined, I finally get in there once, and it
dies in one hit???
Are you serious game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm thinking about making my first low level character. Sticking to sl1, then maybe upping a few stats if I feel like it. First goal is becoming a darkwraith.

On invasions though: is it true that (with the red eye orb) you invade infinitely upwards? So as sl1 you can invade sl 10 but also sl 125?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom