• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been hearing similar things from friends.

Unfortunately its 15 bucks.... that's 10 bucks more than I paid for the base game. And I don't feel like putting the final boss on hold to wait out for a sale.

I think this is a good idea. The DLC is good, but really short. I felt like I was overcharged, personally.

HOWEVER, if you are a mage or you just want to find a good active spot for invasions, it's worth it.

If you just LOVE Dark Souls, you have to get it. Otherwise, I'd say most casual fans wouldn't miss much by skipping it. If it drops down to under 10, don't hesitate.

Unfortunately its 15 bucks.... that's 10 bucks more than I paid for the base game. And I don't feel like putting the final boss on hold to wait out for a sale.
$20 is more than worth it for the full package.

I imported the PS3 Prepare to Die Edition for $45 because I wanted the complete package on disc.

re badb0y: Use that tactic on Asylum Demon (get behind and attack his rear)

Confession:

After buying it on release day on Xbox 360 and never finishing (Plus selling my Xbox 360), I decided to get this game on...other terms on the PC. I finally beat it but have been craving more so I decided to get it on Steam. Turns out I can't switch my save over so once again, Dark Souls has given me pain.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

You got the console version for $5?!

PSA: if you got the PC version on Steam, the DLC is already included...

Blinck

I think this fucking game broke me in 5 minutes. I can't do shit to the Asylum Demon and he pounds my ass like fruit cake.

I'm guessing that you are not fighting him the very first time he appears, but just in case you are, you need to run to an open door to the left as you are not suposed to fight him just yet.
If you already have your weapons then like others have said, 2h your weapon and stick your face to his ass. Always be on his ass pounding on those fat buttocks ...if he flies up, just move out for a second and get on him again right after he lands as he is vulnerable for a moment. Good luck!

Here are a couple of screenshots I took yesterday, just to make this page (hopefully!) more pretty !

7O3.jpg

AO3.jpg

And Happy New Year to the souls fans that are already in 2014 in some parts of the world :)

dalVlatko

Ok beat Bed of Chaos.

That was underwhelming. It was more obnoxious than it was challenging.

So whats the consensus on the DLC? I have Kiln of the First Flame unlocked. But before I go I wan to consider the DLC

I played it right before traveling to Kiln and I thought it was one of my favorite parts of the game.

The bosses are all great and make up for how bad Bed of Chaos was.

I thought $15 was a bit much after picking up the game for $5 too, but I didn't feel ripped off after finishing the DLC.

Sullichin

Is it possible to wield most weapons during the first run?

If you want to be able to use almost any melee weapon in the game, take your STR and DEX to 40. Take STR to ~27 first, you can still use most weapons if you two hand some of the heavier ones. if you'd like to be able to 1H those weapons and 2H some of the REALLY heavy ones (demon greataxe), keep going to 40.

But, you very likely won't wield most weapons in any one playthrough because you have to upgrade them to be useful. I use more weapons in my 40str/40dex build than any other character though.

Okay recently I have decided to do a new STR build character for PvP just to get in the mood for DS in preparation for March.. Probably end up using Black Knight Greatsword or just any greatsword. Man STR builds suck in this game. DEX build have speed and power while STR has a bit more power, can be parried easily, and stunlock. From my ittle time with DS2 I think greatswords might finally be good like in Demons Souls (DBS) but anyway I wanted to do a human run.

I get invaded twice in Parish by some guy with lightning weapons and end game gear. WTF are these people still doing 3 years after the game has come out? Do people leave their SL1 builds purposely so they can invade low level players. Whats the point?

I'm at the sewers now and I was fighting the gaping dragon and he one shots me with his tail swipe( my VIT is like 16 and I've been cursed). I had my shield up and he still one shots me. I never knew he could do that, have his tail totally ignore my shield. Thats some straight BS.

mannerbot

Beat O&S last night on my first playthrough, was expecting it to be a lot harder since I've seen so many people complain about it. All I did was kite and LOS them with the pillars, not that bad at all. The difficulty is just massively overstated in general and it's unfortunate that it's got such a masochistic reputation because it's a fantastic game and totally doable.

Soulhouf

Okay recently I have decided to do a new STR build character for PvP just to get in the mood for DS in preparation for March.. Probably end up using Black Knight Greatsword or just any greatsword. Man STR builds suck in this game. DEX build have speed and power while STR has a bit more power, can be parried easily, and stunlock. From my ittle time with DS2 I think greatswords might finally be good like in Demons Souls (DBS) but anyway I wanted to do a human run.

I get invaded twice in Parish by some guy with lightning weapons and end game gear. WTF are these people still doing 3 years after the game has come out? Do people leave their SL1 builds purposely so they can invade low level players. Whats the point?

I'm at the sewers now and I was fighting the gaping dragon and he one shots me with his tail swipe( my VIT is like 16 and I've been cursed). I had my shield up and he still one shots me. I never knew he could do that, have his tail totally ignore my shield. Thats some straight BS.

Gaping Dragon is one of the few bosses where shields are completely useless. I even tried with the Artorias Great Shield, 40 end and it did nothing.
2H your weapon with the grass shield on your back and try to dodge his attacks. Be careful because he has some attacks that one shot you so easily.

badb0y

So moving along after the Asylum Demon....

I am in a camp area I go down a lift into some area where there are ghosts and get killed. OK, there was a message to use a curse and I didn't so that's my fault. I use the curse and get through the first couple of ghosts but the second pair take me down. Go back again same thing happens and now I have no curses. Ok, so I leave that area since I can't do shit and go to the cliffs area and get some items. Move down and some skeletons pop up and wreck me. I revive and go back and same thing happens to me again. After doing that 8 times I get them down and the second batch has some big skeleton with a bunch of small skeletons and they destroy me. Am I doing this right? I have been playing for 3 hours and I am on the same bonfire I started with. Is this normal?

Also I went Pyromancer to start but gameplay is nothing like I expected it to be should I change classes to something simpler as beginner?

mannerbot

I am in a camp area I go down a lift into some area where there are ghosts and get killed. OK, there was a message to use a curse and I didn't so that's my fault. I use the curse and get through the first couple of ghosts but the second pair take me down. Go back again same thing happens and now I have no curses. Ok, so I leave that area since I can't do shit and go to the cliffs area and get some items. Move down and some skeletons pop up and wreck me. I revive and go back and same thing happens to me again. After doing that 8 times I get them down and the second batch has some big skeleton with a bunch of small skeletons and they destroy me. Am I doing this right? I have been playing for 3 hours and I am on the same bonfire I started with. Is this normal?

Also I went Pyromancer to start but gameplay is nothing like I expected it to be should I change classes to something simpler as beginner?

Those two areas are really hard. Find the third path, there are some stairs leading up a cliff that's kind of in the direction the NPC is facing at the bonfire. And starting class doesn't matter much, I say you just roll with it and use melee weapons if you prefer that.

Go talk to the NPC sitting at the first bonfire. He'll tell you exactly where to go and what to do.

starting class doesn't really matter, fire is helpful on any build. you'll get the power within in blighttown which is activated with your pyroglove, and it gives your damage a huge boost while that's active. combining that with a ring that gives you more magic damage and possibly the dusk crown helmet which does the same, fire and magic absolutely obliverates any boss or enemy that gives you trouble in the game.

fuck faith though, it's only useful offensively once you hit like 30 faith and you have to get far in the game to get the good faith spells anyway, its a real drag boosting and playing through most of the game before you can do anything with faith.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I have NEVER had trouble with Iron Golemn before (or Sen's Fortress in general really) but for some reason he's kicking my shit in ._.

He just won't fall off.

I'm watching a newb stream dark souls (he's been on for 24 hours straight):

He's had a couple ragequits already, but he isn't bad for a new player.

It goes to show that marathoning this game is probably a bad idea. I tend to quit after an hour or two because you can't just hack and slash your way through it.
I have NEVER had trouble with Iron Golemn before (or Sen's Fortress in general really) but for some reason he's kicking my shit in ._.

He just won't fall off.

Fall off? I've never had him fall off. I tend to just avoid his attacks, get in really close, and hack away at his feet. Often you can avoid all of his attacks just by staying between his legs in the right position.

Beat O&S last night on my first playthrough, was expecting it to be a lot harder since I've seen so many people complain about it. All I did was kite and LOS them with the pillars, not that bad at all. The difficulty is just massively overstated in general and it's unfortunate that it's got such a masochistic reputation because it's a fantastic game and totally doable.

Is LOS line of sight? Perhaps you are very good at this game. I reached those guys for the first time last night and they've been pushing my shit in with minimal trouble. Which did you kill first. Smough seemed like the natural choice but, post Rita Repulsa treatment, I can't so much as scratch Ornstein. The guy just whittles me down with lightning damage and if I try to play a close game I get skewered.

After getting invaded and killed the first time I tried to summon Solaire, he tanked Smough for me and then killed him just as I was about to deal the last shot to Ornstein (Solaire then immediately got himself killed, of course). Was I ever pissed to see that the buff regens them as well. Urghhh.

I beat them on my first try too. Then, on my second character, it took about 10 tries. My first character was nearly level 60 when I fought them and I had an awesome shield, sword, and fully upgraded armor. Second was level 20. So I think the difficulty can be affected by a lot of things, playstyle, amount of upgrades, etc. all being factors.

mannerbot

Is LOS line of sight? Perhaps you are very good at this game. I reached those guys for the first time last night and they've been pushing my shit in with minimal trouble. Which did you kill first. Smough seemed like the natural choice but, post Rita Repulsa treatment, I can't so much as scratch Ornstein. The guy just whittles me down with lightning damage and if I try to play a close game I get skewered.

After getting invaded and killed the first time I tried to summon Solaire, he tanked Smough for me and then killed him just as I was about to deal the last shot to Ornstein (Solaire then immediately got himself killed, of course). Was I ever pissed to see that the buff regens them as well. Urghhh.

Yeah, LOS = line of sight. I never use summons and have basically played Hollowed this whole time since I'm terrified of invaders, lol. I haven't tried it the other way but it seems that Ornstein first is way easier. I assume that Ornstein has less HP than the fatty, and it's easier to isolate him since he moves so much faster. Smough alone is very easily kited as well.

I beat them on my first try too. Then, on my second character, it took about 10 tries. My first character was nearly level 60 when I fought them and I had an awesome shield, sword, and fully upgraded armor. Second was level 20. So I think the difficulty can be affected by a lot of things, playstyle, amount of upgrades, etc. all being factors.

Only boss I've actually one-shot was Iron Golem, I think ~5 attempts for O&S for me? But yeah, I agree that there are a lot of variables that affect the relative difficulty of an encounter. Would probably have had a much harder time if I went for Smough first, or stood my ground and fought.

edit: what's the spoiler etiquette in this thread? I tried not to give away to much, and I'm trying not to spoil anything for myself either, but it seems like there's no need to tag things as it's a 2 year old game?

Okay, mini rant here.

Me and my buddy are playing through the game at SL5 (because why the fuck not), which means that equipment is incredibly important. We literally can't survive essentially anything without +9 armor (fuck slabs).
However, we both are using the Elite Knight armor, both at +9, though I sometimes swap out for +9 Thief set for weight. It'd be nice if one of us like, looked different from the other, so I started looking at some of the other armors.

And holy shit.
It seems like literally, if it isn't a starting armor, everything gets absolutely roflstomped by a combo of Thief/Elite Knight, simply because anything that isn't a starter armor uses Twinkling Titanite, and thus can only ever go up to +5. It's absolutely embarrassing that, for example, the Chester armor fully upgraded is 2 points heavier and, on average, 30% weaker in every defensive category. And the Elite Knight is similar in all comparisons to anything within 15 points of its weight. Hell, it compares almost favorably to Havel's, poise aside.
Seriously. Unbalanced as hell.

Are there any exceptions?

EDIT: Mannerbot, me and my friend always do Smough first, because you CAN actually survive a hit from Super Ornstein at SL5. If Smough hits you it's just over, unless you go down and kill Ingward, steal his key, and farm for Titanite Chunks to upgrade your armor to +9.

I just got back into this game after having it uninstalled for like 8 months. I couldn't resist the urge any longer.

I came back and decided to try a SL1 run. I've always wanted to do one, but never actually tried, until now.

I'm not even sure if I can complete the game (with DLC) to be honest, but so far I've been alright.

I just beat the Iron Golem, and the Asylum Demon to get a Titanite Slab. I'm Heading to Anor Londo for the Duo in a bit, but first, going to head to New Londo and open up that shortcut.

Only died 25-ish times so far, and half of those are me being dumb, and trying stupid shit.

Anyways, I'm streaming it/saving the video's on that new streaming site, if anyone wants to stop by:

http://www.hitbox.tv/settings/thatbustaguy/videos

and for the stream:
http://www.hitbox.tv/thatbustaguy

(If you get ads, I'm sorry, the site has mandatory ads on everything, there's no monetization involved)

Streaming times will be sporadic the next few days/week or so, then eventually I'll just be doing evenings (EST TZ)

Ruuppa

Okay, mini rant here.

Me and my buddy are playing through the game at SL5 (because why the fuck not), which means that equipment is incredibly important. We literally can't survive essentially anything without +9 armor (fuck slabs).
However, we both are using the Elite Knight armor, both at +9, though I sometimes swap out for +9 Thief set for weight. It'd be nice if one of us like, looked different from the other, so I started looking at some of the other armors.

And holy shit.
It seems like literally, if it isn't a starting armor, everything gets absolutely roflstomped by a combo of Thief/Elite Knight, simply because anything that isn't a starter armor uses Twinkling Titanite, and thus can only ever go up to +5. It's absolutely embarrassing that, for example, the Chester armor fully upgraded is 2 points heavier and, on average, 30% weaker in every defensive category. And the Elite Knight is similar in all comparisons to anything within 15 points of its weight. Hell, it compares almost favorably to Havel's, poise aside.
Seriously. Unbalanced as hell.

Are there any exceptions?

EDIT: Mannerbot, me and my friend always do Smough first, because you CAN actually survive a hit from Super Ornstein at SL5. If Smough hits you it's just over, unless you go down and kill Ingward, steal his key, and farm for Titanite Chunks to upgrade your armor to +9.

Wanderer's Set has good defenses for a starter set, and the normal Knight set is pretty decent as well. Maiden/Dingy have some of the best light armor pieces in them, and Gargoyle Helm has really good def/poise/weight for a Twinkling armor. But at that SL, defenses will always be a secondary concern, since whatever you wear, there's a chance you're gonna get one-shotted by anything the bosses use(counter hit, stagger extra damage).

I'm currently doing a soul level one play through, and four kings are murdering me, any tips?

Roll, roll, roll. Get a Chaos/Lightning Dagger +5 and stab away. Might want to enter the fight in Red Tearstone status so you can take them out faster than they spawn.

badb0y

I am slowly starting to like this game. In the beginning I think there were a few times when I just got so frustrated I wanted to quit but dying again and again until I finally beat a boss is so satisfying. I just took down the Gargoyles and now I am working on Stumpy (One legged Demon in Undead Parish).

The worst thing is when I die and I can't retrieve my souls :( .

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The worst thing is when I die and I can't retrieve my souls :( .
But...you can. That's one of the many cool aspects about this game. If you learn from your mistakes and make it beyond the point you died before, you get rewarded with double the souls.

Cleared out the graveyard near Firelink Shrine. That was quite challenging, but those skeletons are quite easy once you discover they're patterns. And they take more damage in the water? Atleast, in my experience.
Went down into a cave, but once I saw exploding skeleton heads, I said NOPE and ran out of there. :p Also came face to face with the Capra Demon and died. Ain't going back there any time soon. I hate those dogs.
After that, I tried to progress unto the Undead Church. Found a Firekeeper Soul (strengthens Flask's, ey? That's handy) and a Blacksmith. Leveled my Longsword by four. Those big knights I had problems with in the Undead Church now go down in two strikes. Too bad they can counter-attack as well, scared the crap out of me. :/

Awesome stuff. The exploration is really rewarding.
Still, I could have done with a few enemies less. :p

Manik

Finally picked this game up when it popped up in the Steam sales after being pretty unimpressed with the 360 versions of both Demons and Dark Souls, but I was determined to get into it this time. So when better than the Christmas break, when I could finally sit down and put a good few hours into it.. And now I'm 18 hours in and having an absolute blast.

Pretty pleased with my progress so far (as it's my first ever real playthough) as I've tried to avoid spoilers and guides as far as possible but have managed to take down the Capra Demon and, most recently, the Hydra (which wasn't so difficult once I worked out where to position myself to prevent its godawful magic bolts hitting me). It was the Gargoyles that gave me the most bother, out of all of the bosses.

Also had my first experience of being invaded last night. It was so incredibly tense - in part, I think, due to not being able to communicate with the invading party, outside of gestures. We spent 5 minutes just circling each other and firing off warning shots, with no-one wanting to go ahead and commit to the attack. Of course, a second person then invaded at the same time and proceeded to stroll in and wipe us both out without a single care.

Off to New Londo Ruins today, which should be... something...

Blinck

But...you can. That's one of the many cool aspects about this game. If you learn from your mistakes and make it beyond the point you died before, you get rewarded with double the souls.

Cleared out the graveyard near Firelink Shrine. That was quite challenging, but those skeletons are quite easy once you discover they're patterns. And they take more damage in the water? Atleast, in my experience.
Went down into a cave, but once I saw exploding skeleton heads, I said NOPE and ran out of there. :p Also came face to face with the Capra Demon and died. Ain't going back there any time soon. I hate those dogs.
After that, I tried to progress unto the Undead Church. Found a Firekeeper Soul (strengthens Flask's, ey? That's handy) and a Blacksmith. Leveled my Longsword by four. Those big knights I had problems with in the Undead Church now go down in two strikes. Too bad they can counter-attack as well, scared the crap out of me. :/

Awesome that you are enjoying the game so much! Keep exploring that Undead Church ;)
As for that cave you went in...this might not be the best time to go there so you did well in backing off. Also make sure you talk to every NPC as many times as possible until they are out of dialog. Some of them will give you some very very useful tips about that specific cave that will make your life easier once you go there later !

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Awesome that you are enjoying the game so much! Keep exploring that Undead Church ;)
As for that cave you went in...this might not be the best time to go there so you did well in backing off. Also make sure you talk to every NPC as many times as possible until they are out of dialog. Some of them will give you some very very useful tips about that specific cave that will make your life easier once you go there later !
I will, and thanks for the tips. I already talk to everyone till they repeat a line. Sometimes twice. I blame Poin't & Click's. :p
Just met the Gargoyles...
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Yet. Fight isn't that hard, but then his brother comes along and I become a barbecue. Did notice lock-on might not be as usefull against those two bro's.

Deimo5

While the use of Drake Sword has already been discouraged, I wrote a little piece on why it's a bad idea to use it:

http://www.beardednerd.se/why-dark-souls-drake-sword-is-the-greatest-noob-trap-of-them-all/

The numbers add up with what people normally experience: when you get to Sen's and Anor Londo you simply don't do enough damage with the Drake Sword and if you've never learned to upgrade weapons you're pretty much stuck at that point.

Well the convenient noob thing there is you can get the Lightning Spear from that mimic halfway through Sen's Fortress which is much more powerful and easily upgradable to at least +2 or +3 right off the bat if you haven't been spending titanite chunks (which may well be the case if you have been using the Drake Sword the whole time).
I kinda wondered if that was the second stage of the 'noob path'.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Have you specced any pyromancy? This guy uses double combustion with stone armor set (maxed pyromancy). Seems to work out for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdLP_CEpPk

I followed this guy's walkthrough and it really helped. To do enough damage with combustion, you will need to have upgraded your flame all the way, and even then you'll need a weapon to finish them off. I ran out of combustion and had to kill the last dude with my upgraded club, only barely getting the last hit in with 3 kings on screen trying to hit me.

It's a really frustrating fight, especially with that painful trek to the fog gate. It's one of those instances where I'd recommend backing up your save file (if you're on PC) outside the gate and reloading it for retries.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Summon Iron Tarkus :D The bro will help you out a great deal in that fight !

I ended up having to. I usually just rush through Sens and beat him no problem. This time I actually explored the whole fortress, unlocked the shortcut, killed one of the big demon guys throwing bombs where you fight him, and summoned Iron Tarkus. Fight was easy as hell at that point. During the fight I learned what I was doing differently these past couple days, to make him trip when he's stunned you have to attack his kneecaps, not the back of his shins. I think I like the Tarkus method better, though, even if it does take a while.

Anor Londo should go plenty smooth though. At SL 52 or so, usually I'm a good bit lower, and I never have bad luck with the infamous ledge archer like a lot of other players.

Tecl0n

After beating the game with three different characters i finally decided to tackle the DLC. My god,
Artorias
is relentless.

I think this is a good idea. The DLC is good, but really short. I felt like I was overcharged, personally.

HOWEVER, if you are a mage or you just want to find a good active spot for invasions, it's worth it.

If you just LOVE Dark Souls, you have to get it. Otherwise, I'd say most casual fans wouldn't miss much by skipping it. If it drops down to under 10, don't hesitate.

Woot? can you explain it?

badb0y

Yea but sometimes I die before I get to my body :( . I'm still having a lot of fun though even though Stumpy is owning me right now lol.

Ruuppa

The thing with only three shots? gotta try someday but I am always meet people who eats my spells like nothing.

Six casts, and it shoots multiple shots per cast, like a shotgun. Get someone with that from close range, so all the shots hit, and they die. The other powerful spell you get is Pursuers, which is like Homing Crystal Soulmass, but with a lot better tracking and damage.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
I'm guessing that you are not fighting him the very first time he appears, but just in case you are, you need to run to an open door to the left as you are not suposed to fight him just yet.
If you already have your weapons then like others have said, 2h your weapon and stick your face to his ass. Always be on his ass pounding on those fat buttocks ...if he flies up, just move out for a second and get on him again right after he lands as he is vulnerable for a moment. Good luck!

Here are a couple of screenshots I took yesterday, just to make this page (hopefully!) more pretty !

7O3.jpg

And Happy New Year to the souls fans that are already in 2014 in some parts of the world :)
Love this Screen shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom