• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Classic gaming should have made you immune to this! Also, Sen's Fortress.

Sen's Fortress at least I felt like it was designed explicitly around that though. In every other instance (the archers, Crystal Cave, Bed of Chaos) it was just genuinely frustrating, was the only thing in the entire game that actually made me angry.

I say was because I just completely, by accident beat the game. I had no idea that was the last area/boss, and I killed him on my first try. LOL? Actually kinda bummed since everyone kept saying to go back and kill all the NPCs before killing the boss, etc. Sure I missed some stuff as well. Debating right now if I want to jump right back in, wait a bit in the run-up to Dark Souls 2 to re-familiarize myself with the game, or just hold off completely until Dark Souls 2. Decisions :(

I'm thinking about making my first low level character. Sticking to sl1, then maybe upping a few stats if I feel like it. First goal is becoming a darkwraith.

On invasions though: is it true that (with the red eye orb) you invade infinitely upwards? So as sl1 you can invade sl 10 but also sl 125?

I think that's Spirits of Vengeance (Forest Hunter and Darkmoon).

mannerbot

I finally had to look up how to find Vamos finally. I could hear where he was, but I was totally barking up the wrong tree in trying to find out how to get there, Jesus Christ.

Edit: Oh what in the flying fuck. So after dying more to the Bed of Chaos more than probably the next 5 things in the game combined, I finally get in there once, and it
dies in one hit???
Are you serious game.

I just beat Bed of Chaos, that was a really dumb fight. Like, that was true trial and error shit and feels completely out of place. Between that and Seath/Nito being complete pushovers, this last half of the game is shaping up to be a disappointment, hope 4 Kings/DLC/Gwyn are better.

edit: what's this about killing all the NPCs before the last boss? Is that just so that you can get all of their gear for NG+, and will there be any negative consequences for doing that?

I just beat Bed of Chaos, that was a really dumb fight. Like, that was true trial and error shit and feels completely out of place. Between that and Seath/Nito being complete pushovers, this last half of the game is shaping up to be a disappointment, hope 4 Kings/DLC/Gwyn are better.
Bed of Chaos is a crummy puzzle, and is universally hated. One of the few big missteps by FROM. The remaining bosses on your list are all much better, particularly the DLC bosses.

edit: what's this about killing all the NPCs before the last boss? Is that just so that you can get all of their gear for NG+, and will there be any negative consequences for doing that?
Yes, it's about getting all their gear as well as Fire Keeper Souls to max out your Estus Flask. Once you defeat the last boss, NG+ begins immediately, resetting all your actions (NPCs are back, shortcuts are closed, etc.), so there's no later consequence for killing all the NPCs.

I wonder if this is something FROM will subvert in Dark Souls 2...

mannerbot

Bed of Chaos is a crummy puzzle, and is universally hated. One of the few big missteps by FROM. The remaining bosses on your list are all much better, particularly the DLC bosses.

Yes, it's about getting all their gear as well as Fire Keeper Souls to max out your Estus Flask. Once you defeat the last boss, NG+ begins immediately, resetting all your actions (NPCs are back, shortcuts are closed, etc.), so there's no later consequence for killing all the NPCs.

I wonder if this is something FROM will subvert in Dark Souls 2...

OK, good to hear that I got all of the doo-doo out of the way, hah. And I take it that killing NPCs has no effect on the ending I'll get? Also, won't killing the NPCs mean that you can't summon them for the fight (really stupid question I know)? I don't mind either way since I never use summons, just wondering. And thanks!

edit: also, I managed to get the achievement for having all sorceries even though I'm incapable of using sorceries (only 10 int). lol

- J - D -

Apparently, I just ran into a bug in the game. Siegmeyer won't say anything inside Sen's Fortress. :/ Any fixes or am I locked out of his quest line?

The game is pretty clearly opening up after Anor Londo and appropriately high fiving myself, but every direction brings something that I dread. I finished the Catacombs and wandered a little into the Tomb of Giants because I wanted Leeroy's hammer, but was promptly kicked off a ledge by giant skellies a couple times when I couldn't see anything. The area doesn't seem beyond my level or anything, but I really want to have the light summoning spell for it and I'm 6 Int away from learning it still.

Is there any particular path through the game that curves difficulty well or should I just point in a direction and go? Goals that I have at the moment:

-Kill Leeroy for the Grant
-retrieve the Firelink Keeper's Soul from that dick
-Painted World
-Sif

The game is pretty clearly opening up after Anor Londo and appropriately high fiving myself, but every direction brings something that I dread. I finished the Catacombs and wandered a little into the Tomb of Giants because I wanted Leeroy's hammer, but was promptly kicked off a ledge by giant skellies a couple times when I couldn't see anything. The area doesn't seem beyond my level or anything, but I really want to have the light summoning spell for it and I'm 6 Int away from learning it still.

If you finished the Catacombs, you probably have a Skull Lantern; you can use it to light your path.

GRIP

Is there any particular path through the game that curves difficulty well or should I just point in a direction and go? Goals that I have at the moment:

-Kill Leeroy for the Grant
-retrieve the Firelink Keeper's Soul from that dick
-Painted World
-Sif

There is a helmet in the game that makes TotG infinitely more manageable and you don't have to level anything up or sacrifice anything to use it. This particular item is found in Lost Izalith. If you are having difficulty dealing with the visibility in Tomb of the Giants, I would recommend going to Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith first.

Edit: Yeah, the skull lantern works as well, but it's kind of a pain to use.

If you finished the Catacombs, you probably have a Skull Lantern; you can use it to light your path.

I do have one, but have to put it away to play defense. When I can't see the ledges it keeps me from being mobile and circling the big guys for fear of falling off. Not that that precaution has wound up helping any. I basically blocked my way off f the ledge each time.

Edit:

I will look into Izalith. Doesn't seem like anything is going to get easier going forward.

Also, is the Grant worth the trouble for me right now? I have a strength build with a bit of faith, so it seemed like a good fit, but if it takes 4 sec to swing, I might not bother.

GRIP

I've never used the Grant so I don't know how well it scales with a mostly strength/somewhat faith build, but fully upgrading it should be fine to finish the game (most weapons fully upgraded are fine on a first playthrough).

If your biggest concern is attack speed then switching over to a Strength weapon won't help. You'll probably do a bit more damage going with a pure strength weapon, though.

BlewHedgehog, I think Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith will suit you best to do first, the Sunlight Maggot will help with TotG, which I would leave till last since it's the most intimidating of the final areas.

Apparently, I just ran into a bug in the game. Siegmeyer won't say anything inside Sen's Fortress. :/ Any fixes or am I locked out of his quest line?
Quit/reload?

the mark

I'm not sure why, but I never played the DLC for Dark Souls...time to change that.
Is it absolutely recommended to play it in a new game or is it manageable to do it solo in ng+?

Ruuppa

I'm not sure why, but I never played the DLC for Dark Souls...time to change that.
Is it absolutely recommended to play it in a new game or is it manageable to do it solo in ng+?

If you have managed to complete the game once, you can do the DLC on NG+. You might die a few times extra, but it's very doable.
Just remember to grab the Silver Pendant from Oolacile Township so Manus doesn't OHKO you with his spells.

Bosses aren't as much a problem as normal enemies on NG+ and onwards.

Edit: If you're only using elemental/magic damage, and don't have the stats for physical damage, you might have problems.

Mogwai

If you're confident in your ability and haven't messed up your build, I'd say it's fairly straightforward in NG+. Might even be easier due to gear and more health and stamina.

The DLC bosses are a remarkably more difficult than the base game, in my opinion.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Been exploring the Depths the last couple of day's. Lot's of cool stuff to find.
Ring of Evil Eye is handy!
Gaping Dragon scared the crap out of me. It's a good thing I still had some of those telebones. Yeah, those teleport thingy's aren't called that, but I suck at remembering names. Anyhoo. Been playing offline and suddenly got invaded. Scared the crap outta me. Didn't know that was possible.
Easy fellow, though. +8000 souls in a minute or so. Good stuff.

Level 33. Love the open exploration of it all. That second bell can wait. :p
Been using the Longsword and Greatsword with on occasion a bow and arrow. The Greatsword has been getting some good use in the Depths.

Love seeing how active this community still is. NG+7 sounds insane, though. Awesome work.

Mogwai

Been exploring the Depths the last couple of day's. Lot's of cool stuff to find.
Ring of Evil Eye is handy!
Gaping Dragon scared the crap out of me. It's a good thing I still had some of those telebones. Yeah, those teleport thingy's aren't called that, but I suck at remembering names. Anyhoo. Been playing offline and suddenly got invaded. Scared the crap outta me. Didn't know that was possible.
Easy fellow, though. +8000 souls in a minute or so. Good stuff.

Level 33. Love the open exploration of it all. That second bell can wait. :p
Been using the Longsword and Greatsword with on occasion a bow and arrow. The Greatsword has been getting some good use in the Depths.

Love seeing how active this community still is. NG+7 sounds insane, though. Awesome work.
You've been invaded by a
NPC ghost, they appear at certain areas when you're human regardless whether you are online or offline.

I agree that the Depths is a cool area. I don't like the slimes, though. They're just not any fun to fight.

the mark

Thanks, I'll try to do it on ng+ then.
Just killed Ornstein/Smough (what a great fight), so I'm not far away from the possibility of entering the DLC. Really looking forward to new Dark Souls stuff!
And thanks for the Silver Pendant tip.

Mogwai

Thanks, I'll try to do it on ng+ then.
Just killed Ornstein/Smough (what a great fight), so I'm not far away from the possibility of entering the DLC. Really looking forward to new Dark Souls stuff!
And thanks for the Silver Pendant tip.

The atmosphere in the DLC areas is just awesome. You're in for a treat.

The way FROM implemented the DLC into the game was perfect. I like the fact that you had to actually do some things in order to access it. True Dark Souls fashion. Nothing is free ;)

badb0y

Took down the Iron Golem last night. The Golem himself is a easy fight but his gimmick of throwing me off the ledge was pissing me off but eventually I got him.

I am running a Dex/Pyro build and have a Uchigatana +10 equipped but I also got a Lightning Spear at +3 and it seems to have higher damage yet reading around around the web it seems like people prefer the Uchigatana why is that?

Also got my Pyromancy glove up to +15 and at this stage of the game it seems kind of OP, I melted the the Golem with nothing but Fireballs.

Is it me or do the optional NPCs make the bosses a joke? I used Maneater Mildred and the Sorcerer for the Butterfly boss. Maneater Mildred didn't do any damage but she held aggro while I destroyed the Spider girl and the Sorcerer just raped the Butterfly. I didn't even land a single attack on the butterfly boss and it died.....lol

Ruuppa

Took down the Iron Golem last night. The Golem himself is a easy fight but his gimmick of throwing me off the ledge was pissing me off but eventually I got him.

I am running a Dex/Pyro build and have a Uchigatana +10 equipped but I also got a Lightning Spear at +3 and it seems to have higher damage yet reading around around the web it seems like people prefer the Uchigatana why is that?

Also got my Pyromancy glove up to +15 and at this stage of the game it seems kind of OP, I melted the the Golem with nothing but Fireballs.

Is it me or do the optional NPCs make the bosses a joke? I used Maneater Mildred and the Sorcerer for the Butterfly boss. Maneater Mildred didn't do any damage but she held aggro while I destroyed the Spider girl and the Sorcerer just raped the Butterfly. I didn't even land a single attack on the butterfly boss and it died.....lol

What weapon you decide to use largely depends on what you like, what kind of moveset it has and does it scale with your stats. For a Dex build, an Uchi +10/15 is better than most elemental weapons since it does pure physical damage which gets better with your Dex. If you have low stats, elemental weapons will serve you much better, but be aware that some enemies will resist a huge amount of elemental damage.

NPCs can break bosses, but they can also make bosses a lot harder. Since each NPC you summon increases the boss's health by 50%, and they can be idiotic in their attacks, some bosses become very tough when done with helpers. For example, the Four Kings are a damn lot tougher with Beatrice than without her. If you know how to fight a boss solo, it's much easier to bring them down. Biggs & Smalls are the flipside of this, however.

Well you don't have to summon NPC phantoms :) I usually do the Butterfly first thing for the souls and just like Beatrice kill it on her own.

Iron Golem hates pyro. Fully upgraded pyro glove+power within+bellowing ring+dusk crown and I think great combustion will take him down with 1 or 2 casts left to spare, and that's if he doesn't fall off!

Go with whatever weapon you like the moveset of, I do think the spear is outclassed by an Uchi though in terms of damage and scaling - but different weapons have different benefits besides just pure damage.

Soulhouf

Once I summoned Solaire for Gwyn's fight and he totally went berserk mode. I didn't even land a single attack. I was like O_____O
Watching Solaire completely murders Gwyn all by himself was one of the biggest moments I lived in this game. It was so awesome...

Blinck

Finally fucking did it :D !

thedarksoul.jpg

I know that there are much harder challenges, I know that many people already have this platinum ages ago and all that stuff....but man, still feels awesome.

I'm not an achievement/trophy person, I only do platinums when they are very very easy and I love the game, because else I don't really care about trophies or achievements.

But doing this one was awesome, it was a test of patience and perseverance, both of which I don't have much, so this feels like a true accomplishment :)

- J - D -

Yeah :(

I'm pretty new to Dark Souls and I'm splitting my time half playing the game and half reading through this thread from page one onwards. I've been looking through the net for solutions to this bug and apparently the aren't any. So I lose out on Sieg's quest line forever. Oh well, at about two dozen hours in, I don't want to start over now. At least he dropped his ring when he died. :D D:

Finally fucking did it :D !

I know that there are much harder challenges, I know that many people already have this platinum ages ago and all that stuff....but man, still feels awesome.

I'm not an achievement/trophy person, I only do platinums when they are very very easy and I love the game, because else I don't really care about trophies or achievements.

But doing this one was awesome, it was a test of patience and perseverance, both of which I don't have much, so this feels like a true accomplishment :)

Wow, congrats indeed!

GRIP

Just got the Platinum trophy today as well . Feels pretty damn good man.

It was a bit anticlimactic because I thought there were 1-2 covenants that I hadn't entered yet, but when I finished upgrading my magic weapon both that trophy and the Dark Soul one popped up. Overall took me around 50 hours to get.

So recently I've been playing the game with this and this and sometimes even this, and it really does make the game feel a bit more fresh and interesting for those who have played through the game several times already. I like these mods a lot. They're all accomplished using software called Cheat Engine, a program that just changes data values in singleplayer games in real-time, and while some people use this software for ill (hacked pvp characters are the worst), I do like that people are using it to make the singleplayer experience fresh and interesting.

The main point of this post though is that this has got me wondering.. People have hunted down and found the data addresses for your souls, your stats, your currently equipped weapon, your inventory, and so forth, but most of this is just useful for cheaters. I want to know... how possible would it be to find the data addresses for every mob in the game, and then set the mob type to a random value? Thus having randomized mobs throughout the game, rather than killing the same things in the same places every playthrough. In theory, this could also be done with loot and maybe even mob drops. This would be an incredible way to revitalize the pve game and would get a lot of attention in the community, and I think it would be a ton of fun.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to figure this kind of stuff out. I wonder if there's anyone who could weigh in on this?

Blinck

Just got the Platinum trophy today as well . Feels pretty damn good man.

It was a bit anticlimactic because I thought there were 1-2 covenants that I hadn't entered yet, but when I finished upgrading my magic weapon both that trophy and the Dark Soul one popped up. Overall took me around 50 hours to get.

Congrats man!

Haha I was actually gonna end up getting the platinum by buying a weapon from Shiva, but to make it a bit more epic, and even though it took me longer in this order, I made the effort to get the last achievment by forging the weapon from the soul of Gwyn :D Thought it was fitting somehow hehe

Big cheers, and here hoping for another platinum in DkS 2 :)

mannerbot

Was one swing away from killing Artorias my first attempt, and killed him with like 50 hp left on attempt 2. Then I put on my symbol of avarice and silver serpent ring and died. :p Gwyn's going to be a total pushover isn't he?

T.O.P

Banned
Just finished the game again on pc

Still want more, will give it a NG+ run then start a sorcer run later

Also pre-ordered DSII Black Armor Ed. for pc and the C.E. for ps3, March can't come soon enough

Blinck

Was one swing away from killing Artorias my first attempt, and killed him with like 50 hp left on attempt 2. Then I put on my symbol of avarice and silver serpent ring and died. :p Gwyn's going to be a total pushover isn't he?

I think Gwyn is one of the harder bosses ...but only if you
don't parry him

Spoiler tag in case you don't know his "tactic" yet :p

So after a year off the game, I'm starting my first SL1 run. I just beat the capra demon and am about to fight the gaping dragon. Its been surprisingly easy so far. Though if there is gonna be any end to my run, it will be Ornstein and Smough :(

chunk3rvd

Did a little invading in Sen's Fortress today with my SL31 Black Knight w/Greataxe. Stuck with medium roll but apart from that it's a pretty fun build. I was summoned into someones world and they were AFK wight in front of me where the first swinging axe platform starts. Dropped down and just insta-killed him with a backstab but was filled with dickwraith remorse when I realised I could have pushed him down into the pit with the titanite demon where he never would have found his bloodstain :/ A few moments later this message popped up. Definitely a first for me o_O

I love dark souls a lot but it's never driven me to a furious wank!

Can't believe we're almost at OT5! We got through OT1-OT3 in less than 3 months so OT4 has been a long haul. Things were so crazy back in those first 3 with everyone figuring stuff out and sharing knowledge. Can't wait to go through that experience again in March :)

mannerbot

Can't believe we're almost at OT5! We got through OT1-OT3 in less than 3 months so OT4 has been a long haul. Things were so crazy back in those first 3 with everyone figuring stuff out and sharing knowledge. Can't wait to go through that experience again in March :)

On the one hand, that sounds like a ton of fun, but on the other I'm worried that the game won't be as good without Miyazaki's direct oversight... plus I'd be playing on PC so I'd be weeks late anyway.

Ruuppa

Invading with SL1 in the Burg was good tonight. Full Havel and dual-wielding Great Axe and Great Club. Most of the time I just stood there, menacing, and people ran away. Or I backstabbed them for MASSIVE damage with the Great Axe. Dropped a few BSS's and Titanite for the hosts before I started any shenanigans though.

Fun times, although most hosts were just confused and stood in place while I sucked a couple of Humanities from them.

sixghost

Invading with SL1 in the Burg was good tonight. Full Havel and dual-wielding Great Axe and Great Club. Most of the time I just stood there, menacing, and people ran away. Or I backstabbed them for MASSIVE damage with the Great Axe. Dropped a few BSS's and Titanite for the hosts before I started any shenanigans though.

Fun times, although most hosts were just confused and stood in place while I sucked a couple of Humanities from them.

congrats on being a dickhead

Ruuppa

Whats the best element to upgrade for the Zweihander using a streng build? I got it at +15

If you're running a Str build, don't make it elemental at all. It'll do more damage as a +15 weapon. You can buff it with spells or resins instead, and it'll do a ton of damage that way. Without Int/Fai, resins will be the way to go, with Fire Resins easily available from the merchant who sells Mosses in the shortcut between Lower Undead Burg and the Firelink Shrine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom