• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, so uh, the one time I actually try to use Iron Flesh for a boss fight and apparently it's greyed out for the Four Kings fight? All the other pyromancies worked fine, except for Iron Flesh. Anyways, tired of losing to these guys. Where do people usually drop their summon signs for the fight?

Wow, so uh, the one time I actually try to use Iron Flesh for a boss fight and apparently it's greyed out for the Four Kings fight? All the other pyromancies worked fine, except for Iron Flesh. Anyways, tired of losing to these guys. Where do people usually drop their summon signs for the fight?

It's not greyed out, most likely you were under the effect of another boost, like the green grass for stamina?

It's not greyed out, most likely you were under the effect of another boost, like the green grass for stamina?

Oh, I had the Green Crest Shield equipped. Had no idea you wouldn't be able to use Iron Flesh in conjunction with it, since it worked fine outside of the Abyss.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You can, you were more than likely under the effect of Transient Curse. It's happened to me many times as well where I forget to let it wear off.

Sullichin

My homing crystal soulmass does pitiful damage against Seath :|
Getting his tail is quite annoying! I was 2H wacking it with a lightning claymore like crazy and I let him kill me because he was about to die and I didn't break his tail.

Wallachia

Whacky, wild shtuff I am wondering about. Anyone please?

1 - I was at the bottom of the Catacombs, where the knight is, near the pinwheels. And there were two glowing rings on the ground (alot like the ring you touch to get to Anor Londo after you defeat the Iron Golem). So what the hell were those rings?!

2 - I've noticed alot when playing with others, Co-op & PvP, that people will throw some kind of vial on the ground that makes an either blue, or orange glow right after killing someone. What is this thing? An Alluring Skull or something? Or, is it the equivalent of throwing some juice down for the homies?

Numpt3

Good god I think I'm going to be playing this game untill the end of time. It just keeps going and going and going and going.... (I'm not complaining)

EasyMode

My homing crystal soulmass does pitiful damage against Seath :|
Getting his tail is quite annoying! I was 2H wacking it with a lightning claymore like crazy and I let him kill me because he was about to die and I didn't break his tail.

One time I forgot to break the crystal that makes him invincible and I was able to cut his tail off. So you could do that to avoid killing him before getting the tail weapon.

Wool

1 - I was at the bottom of the Catacombs, where the knight is, near the pinwheels. And there were two glowing rings on the ground (alot like the ring you touch to get to Anor Londo after you defeat the Iron Golem). So what the hell were those rings?!

2 - I've noticed alot when playing with others, Co-op & PvP, that people will throw some kind of vial on the ground that makes an either blue, or orange glow right after killing someone. What is this thing? An Alluring Skull or something? Or, is it the equivalent of throwing some juice down for the homies?

1) Those are miracle synergy signs. Supposedly, if someone uses a miracle in their game that sign will show up in other player's games and if they also use the miracle it will be more powerful. The glowing rings in the Catacombs are always there regardless of other players, they are like examples. I don't think any mechanic of the game has failed as much as this. If you look at your rings you might have one that is supposed to boost this ability, but it is useless.

2) I think you're talking about the prism stone? You can drop them on the ground and they will be a ball of some colored light. Just like you said, it's for the homies.

Tomodachi

I had the same question. What knight are you referring to anyway, Patches? He's definitely not a knight :D
But yeah, I think those circles are a lot like the symbol for the Way of White covenant, so I guess they're like shiny guides for clerics in the dark (since reah and her companions went that way too, maybe they left them there). Does anyone have other guesses?

EDIT: beaten, and I also said a bunch of stupid stuff :|

Wallachia

1) Those are miracle synergy signs. Supposedly, if someone uses a miracle in their game that sign will show up in other player's games and if they also use the miracle it will be more powerful. The glowing rings in the Catacombs are always there regardless of other players, they are like examples. I don't think any mechanic of the game has failed as much as this. If you look at your rings you might have one that is supposed to boost this ability, but it is useless.

2) I think you're talking about the prism stone? You can drop them on the ground and they will be a ball of some colored light. Just like you said, it's for the homies.

Thanks for this insight man, cool! And like one poster says, this game goes on and on. For me, it's the Symphony of the Night for my adulthood.

And, seriously? Is that the prism stone? For the homies? Why do I see it blue at times, and orange at others?

Am I missing something with Seath? How do I get on to the ice platform he's sitting on?

Also, where do you guys suggest is the best place to farm humanity?

EasyMode

Oh wow, really? That's a great tip!

Yeah,
I guess the tail has an invisible health bar that isn't effected by the invincibility. After I got the weapon I started attacking him and wasn't dealing damage, then I realized my mistake.

Another thing people like to do with prism stones is using them to mark off an area for a fight. Don't trust these guys. A few days ago someone invaded me and ran far ahead. When I caught up I saw him waiting behind a ring of prism stones. I step inside and he does a proper bow. Wearily, I back up some distance and do my own bow, and sure enough he walks forward and tries to Combust me mid-bow. Thankfully he misjudged the spacing and I was able to get the better of him in the end.

EasyMode

Am I missing something with Seath? How do I get on to the ice platform he's sitting on?

Also, where do you guys suggest is the best place to farm humanity?

You're actually supposed to die during your first encounter with Seath. You'll soon meet some octopus creatures that drop humanity pretty often.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Man the Depths are crazy popular now. I only have to wait a minute or two to get summoned to help people out with Gaping over and over again.

I wish Duke's Archive co-op was more popular. I can never get summoned there. Would be fun to help people out getting the tail.

Sullichin

Man the Depths are crazy popular now. I only have to wait a minute or two to get summoned to help people out with Gaping over and over again.

I wish Duke's Archive co-op was more popular. I can never get summoned there. Would be fun to help people out getting the tail.

Dukes seems popular to me (SL72). But yeah, Gaping/Depths seems to be popular at just about any SL, was even getting bites at SL140+.

Might have to try that. I've had no luck at anor londo recently (SL 65).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So, I was watching some people playing the JP version. It looks like circle is used to pick up objects/doors/etc. Does that mean X is run? That would be much more comfortable than how the default controls are in the US version.

Deadstar

Ok friends....has ANYONE been able to farm the freaking channelers trident? I started from the second bonfire, climbed up the ladder and killed the two channelers at least 25 times with humanity of 8 and the gold serpent ring. NO DROP! YOU KIDDING ME DARK SOULS?!?! Took less time to farm 10 souvenirs of reprisal from the harpy's!

Frank

It took me until the 2nd NG+ to really see the intricate beauty of the LD of the early game. I mean, it wasn't like I didn't perceive it, thought of it and use its connectedness thoroughly -- but I rarely stopped to take it all in.

How you see, the moment you arrive in Lordran, so much of where you'll be. How peering down from the Burg reveals the whole path of the Lower Burg, Capra's enclosure included. The Parish Church from the Taurus archers tower, then Sen's from Parish Church's tower. Back to Taurus, there's the Garden's path down towards the Hydra. Somewhere along that there's the tunnel that leads into Valley of Drakes, and from there round back the entrance in Blighttown and up to Firelink Shrine. From which you can peer into Blighttown, and see the Great Hollow. And all above, and even lower down below, the second half of the game lays hidden.

It's beautiful.

/edit

And I think The Painted World holds the essence of Dark Souls' use of 3D space, of constantly baiting you with the next vista while also allowing you to see your progression, of constantly rewarding curiosity and exploration while also saying 'hey, it's all optional, you know?'. And it's all neatly packed.

Sullichin

It took me until the 2nd NG+ to really see the intricate beauty of the LD of the early game. I mean, it wasn't like I didn't perceive it, thought of it and use its connectedness thoroughly -- but I rarely stopped to take it all in.

How you see, the moment you arrive in Lordran, so much of where you'll be. How peering down from the Burg reveals the whole path of the Lower Burg, Capra's enclosure included. The Parish Church from the Taurus archers tower, then Sen's from Parish Church's tower. Back to Taurus, there's the Garden's path down towards the Hydra. Somewhere along that there's the tunnel that leads into Valley of Drakes, and from there round back the entrance in Blighttown and up to Firelink Shrine. From which you can peer into Blighttown, and see the Great Hollow. And all above, and even lower down below, the second half of the game lays hidden.

It's beautiful.

/edit

And I think The Painted World holds the essence of Dark Souls' use of 3D space, of constantly baiting you with the next vista while also allowing you to see your progression, of constantly rewarding curiosity and exploration while also saying 'hey, it's all optional, you know?'. And it's all neatly packed.

It really is amazing how the beauty of the design reveals itself the more you play. My new characters don't ever encounter the frogs in the depths because I know where to go. I know just where to jump at the beginning of new londo. It didn't occur to me that the merchant from the depths that shows up in firelink is located on the same bridge, almost directly beneath the undead female merchant. I didn't realize how much of demon's ruins you can see from the start of the level... you can see ash lake from tomb of giants.. there's just so much to appreciate. I feel like there's the same level of love in the world design as a really good Metroid game.

ashk

Ok friends....has ANYONE been able to farm the freaking channelers trident? I started from the second bonfire, climbed up the ladder and killed the two channelers at least 25 times with humanity of 8 and the gold serpent ring. NO DROP! YOU KIDDING ME DARK SOULS?!?! Took less time to farm 10 souvenirs of reprisal from the harpy's!

Took a while for me too, that's the only item that I spent more than half an hour farming. Can't really help you other than advise you to be patient:)

Soulhouf

So, I was watching some people playing the JP version. It looks like circle is used to pick up objects/doors/etc. Does that mean X is run? That would be much more comfortable than how the default controls are in the US version.

Yes. Japanese games use circle to confirm and X to cancel. I never understood why SONY America inverted them...

Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid 1 are few examples of games that kept the same input as the Japanese version.

.GqueB.

Banned

Lol I have like two of those for no reason. Wanna trade? I'm level 110.

I invaded someone as part of the forest covenant and the guy dropped ~400K souls, the sad part is that he didn't even put much of a fight and I really don't want to spend them since it feels cheap

So I'm willing to give them away to anyone that wants them by buying lots of Dung Pie and dropping them so whoever picks them can sell them back to Frampt (probably will require more than once since you can only buy 99 out of anything)

My SL71

This is odd. You feel he didn't put up a fight and you got these souls by doing nothing so you wanna give them away to someone who did substantially less than you? Just spend the stupid things.

edbrat

Might have to try that. I've had no luck at anor londo recently (SL 65).

Think you might be 5-10 levels too high for anor Londo sweet spot, am at 45 and can barely wait 5 mins after putting my sign down before I am summoned. I'm totally addicted to coop in anor must have done this level dozens of times now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
New character isn't going that well. Im rushing, don't have any upgraded equipment, and do no damage.

Keep summoning people who refuse to use shields and use lightning weapons against Smore.

Tomodachi

I'm sorry you're having a hard time, for me it dropped while I was exploring the archives for the first time, I never even had to farm it. Just keep trying, it will eventually pop (I know channelers can be a pain tho, especially if you let them teleport). By the way the cap for item discovery is 410, you can get that with the ring and 10 humanity. Not much, but 2 more humanities could help :)
Oh. This. This is really the essence of what makes the level design truly outstanding imo. Well said.

Deadstar

I think I will just keep farming for the trident. Hopefully I get it soon....

I am wondering if it is too late to switch to a magic build for NG+. Right now I have about 40 faith but it seems like the miracles I have don't help me against bosses at all. The lightning bolt miracles are ok but I use pyromancy and I get more charges and more damage with those.

Does magic rock the bosses? Alternatively I may start using the darkmoon bow for some range against certain bosses or enemies. I'm reading that it scales with faith.

tc farks

I'm like person 12,000 that is having no luck cutting off Seath's tail. Even with waiting by the crystal and letting him break it he doesn't get stunned long enough for me. And I'm under 25% equip load. The best chance I had I went 0/3 trying to hit the tail as it flopped around.

I know as a sorcerer I'm gonna miss out on the best weapon for my build but doing this solo sucks. And I can't do it online because my WiFi won't let me connect online.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Also, people camping forest invaders 3v1 for hours at a time completely ruin the point of that covenant.
I was there last night as a human, waiting for some help with Darkroot. Sometimes it's just unlucky when the host is waiting for one more phantom and you happen to invade right next to both of them. I agree that once you have two co-op phantoms with you, it's time to get moving.
Yes, I get invaded a lot by people with amazing armor with my new low-level character. Why is that? First time it was a darkwraith, but then also "normal" black phantoms. So grats, your 120lvl character just lag-backstabbed my 20lvl character (after I backstabbed you 5 times and drained your health by 2%).
Similarly, some of us playing NG+ get invaded by low level Forest Protectors - one guy managed to backstab me 5 times last night, doing very little damage. I'm not necessarily trying to camp or farm invaders; it's the luck of the draw. It's a rush every time I see the message telling me I've been invaded. Doesn't matter your level or whether I win or lose - if you have made my Dark Souls experience more exciting/interesting, then cheers!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fuck yeah, seath down. This Silver knight sword 2 handed is a beast.

Also, got moonlight great sword. My issue is that stat wise it doesn't seem better than velka's rapier, can someone enlighten me?

scosher

Fuck yeah, seath down. This Silver knight sword 2 handed is a beast.

Also, got moonlight great sword. My issue is that stat wise it doesn't seem better than velka's rapier, can someone enlighten me?

Scales at S rank with Int and does only magic damage, so doesn't go through 2 resistances like all other magic/lightning/fire weapons.

scosher

I'm like person 12,000 that is having no luck cutting off Seath's tail. Even with waiting by the crystal and letting him break it he doesn't get stunned long enough for me. And I'm under 25% equip load. The best chance I had I went 0/3 trying to hit the tail as it flopped around.

I know as a sorcerer I'm gonna miss out on the best weapon for my build but doing this solo sucks. And I can't do it online because my WiFi won't let me connect online.

What weapon are you using? Seath is pretty resistant to magic damage but weak to lightning. Lightning Claymore for example can chop off the tail in like 2-3 hits.

tc farks

What weapon are you using? Seath is pretty resistant to magic damage but weak to lightning. Lightning Claymore for example can chop off the tail in like 2-3 hits.

Rocking the lightning spear 2 handed. The most annoying part is the run all the way to him. It's a lot of running to fail over and over.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Scales at S rank with Int and does only magic damage, so doesn't go through 2 resistances like all other magic/lightning/fire weapons.

So more damage goes through then?

Moonlight Great Sword is for INT build characters.

I'm a dex/int build.

My fully upgraded silver knight sword did that (2 handed).

scosher

Rocking the lightning spear 2 handed. The most annoying part is the run all the way to him. It's a lot of running to fail over and over.

I've only used katanas and claymores to chop off tails and all of them have been pretty easy. Like 2-3 hits two-handed at most. Priscilla's tail came off with one slash of my Lightning Iaito, for example. I would think a spear would be harder since you can't use lock-on while going for tails, and knowing FROM's penchant for hidden bonuses/resistances, maybe tails are resistant to thrusting damage and susceptible to slashing?

Also, if you fail at chopping off the tail at the start when he's stunned from breaking the crystal, you can always just quit reload and it'll spawn you outside of boss fog.

Alienshogun said:
So more damage goes through then?

I'm a dex/int build.

Yup, defenses aren't exactly percentage-based, so having to deal with two resistances lowers your overall damage more.

For a dex/int build, your best option isn't the Moonlight Greatsword but making a +15 weapon of your choice (katana, rapier, scythe, curved sword, etc.) and then enchanting with Crystal Magic Weapon. You can have a lightning weapon as backup when the enchant runs out.

SL 140 now. Dark souls PvP is no joke. People bowing before fights. People swinging giant crystal magic-buffed greatswords right on your spawn point in the Kiln. WoG, Great Magic Barriers, high poise tanks? is anyone else loving this shit??! I'll kill a guy differently depending on his fight behavior. Running for Black knights? WoG + TWoP. Bow and allow buff time? Swords and shields. Estus gets you anything - fair game.

I'm 10 kills away from Darkmoon Cov + 3.

I don't even want to say what my PvP build is, I've been so successful.

I used to play Halo (TS 50, MLG 40), but this is truly addictive.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've only used katanas and claymores to chop off tails and all of them have been pretty easy. Like 2-3 hits two-handed at most. Priscilla's tail came off with one slash of my Lightning Iaito, for example. I would think a spear would be harder since you can't use lock-on while going for tails, and knowing FROM's penchant for hidden bonuses/resistances, maybe tails are resistant to thrusting damage and susceptible to slashing?

Also, if you fail at chopping off the tail at the start when he's stunned from breaking the crystal, you can always just quit reload and it'll spawn you outside of boss fog.

Yup, defenses aren't exactly percentage-based, so having to deal with two resistances lowers your overall damage more.

For a dex/int build, your best option isn't the Moonlight Greatsword but making a +15 weapon of your choice (katana, rapier, scythe, curved sword, etc.) and then enchanting with Crystal Magic Weapon. You can have a lightning weapon as backup when the enchant runs out.

Crystal magic weapon?!? Is that a spell?

I'm new to this stuff (still on first playthough.)

scosher

Crystal magic weapon?!? Is that a spell?

I'm new to this stuff (still on first playthough.)

Yeah it's the same as the regular Magic Weapon sorcery that I'm sure you've gotten from Griggs. Just increased power with less charges.

You get it
later from Big Hat Logan when you rescue him in Duke's Archives

It really is amazing how the beauty of the design reveals itself the more you play. My new characters don't ever encounter the frogs in the depths because I know where to go. I know just where to jump at the beginning of new londo. It didn't occur to me that the merchant from the depths that shows up in firelink is located on the same bridge, almost directly beneath the undead female merchant. I didn't realize how much of demon's ruins you can see from the start of the level... you can see ash lake from tomb of giants.. there's just so much to appreciate. I feel like there's the same level of love in the world design as a really good Metroid game.

This +15. The I love the Kiln as well, a very grandiose prison.. Looks wise, nowhere else in the game.

New character isn't going that well. Im rushing, don't have any upgraded equipment, and do no damage.

Keep summoning people who refuse to use shields and use lightning weapons against Smore.

...Why would someone need to use a shield or a lightning weapon against Smough? He's definitely the type of boss you want to use hit and run on, no shield necessary (actually, none of the bosses in this game require a shield if you know what you're doing).

As for the weapons, as long as the weapon doesn't suck it'll rip him apart just fine. If it's really that important to use an element throw a Charcoal Pine Resin on there for the fire effect, fire kicks Smough's ass too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom