• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
New character isn't going that well. Im rushing, don't have any upgraded equipment, and do no damage.

Keep summoning people who refuse to use shields and use lightning weapons against Smore.

If you have a character that can summon a SL 60, I'll be more than happy to stomp a mudhole in Smough for you without either of those things. That guy is nowhere near as bad as Super Ornstein.

Unfortunately my lowest character is 60, so that's the lowest I can go, range wise.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah it's the same as the regular Magic Weapon sorcery that I'm sure you've gotten from Griggs. Just increased power with less charges.

You get it
later from Big Hat Logan when you rescue him in Duke's Archives

I don't even know where to buy a katana, and are they all really low durability? The Iato I have is only 80 and it sucks.

Also, wtf is with this ceaseless discharge, It's oneshotting me.

tc farks

I live in Indianapolis someone come over and cut off Seath's tail for me.

If I don't get it tomorrow I'm just gonna go the upgraded weapon + crystal magic weapon spell route. Although it will just feel weird to have the catalyst in my left hand.

I only have 16 strength and 12 dex what's my best option here?

I don't even know where to buy a katana, and are they all really low durability? The Iato I have is only 80 and it sucks.

Also, wtf is with this ceaseless discharge, It's oneshotting me.

All katanas are 80 or lower, with the exception of the Chaos Blade (which is like, 110). Doesn't matter, you hardly ever come close to risking your weapon getting broken. I've played like 4+ katana playthroughs and it never even comes up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All katanas are 80 or lower, with the exception of the Chaos Blade (which is like, 110). Doesn't matter, you hardly ever come close to risking your weapon getting broken. I've played like 4+ katana playthroughs and it never even comes up.

What katana are you using?

Also, finished demon level. Thought it was for progression, guess not. Doh.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm in Anor Londo now, but I'm heading back to SF to open up a shortcut and get arrows. I have some pyro spells but I don't have the actual fire glove. Where do I get it? I killed the dude in the barrell and the wraith chick in blight town didn't have one.

Alpha's typical weapon of choice is Iaito + 15. I use Chaos Blade + 5 on my DEX build.

By the way, if anyone in the 50-60 range needs help with O&S, I'm putting my sign down near the bonfire for co-op.

J-Roderton

Is it realistic to attempt making it through this game without using any magic? I haven't learned any yet, and probably won't if I can make it through straight melee.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alpha's typical weapon of choice is Iaito + 15. I use Chaos Blade + 5 on my DEX build.

By the way, if anyone in the 50-60 range needs help with O&S, I'm putting my sign down near the bonfire for co-op.

How do you get it to 15? It doesn't show up once it's +5. Do I have to take it to a special smith?

Also, are there any A or S dex weapons?

How do you get it to 15? It doesn't show up once it's +5. Do I have to take it to a special smith?

To get + 5 to + 10, you need the Large Ember. It's
in The Depths, in a chest near the dogs and the first butcher.

Then for + 10 to + 15, you have to get the Very Large Ember. to do that you
drain the water in New Londo,
which comes later in the game.

Wool

SL 140 now. Dark souls PvP is no joke. People bowing before fights. People swinging giant crystal magic-buffed greatswords right on your spawn point in the Kiln. WoG, Great Magic Barriers, high poise tanks? is anyone else loving this shit??! I'll kill a guy differently depending on his fight behavior. Running for Black knights? WoG + TWoP. Bow and allow buff time? Swords and shields. Estus gets you anything - fair game.

I'm 10 kills away from Darkmoon Cov + 3.

I don't even want to say what my PvP build is, I've been so successful.

I used to play Halo (TS 50, MLG 40), but this is truly addictive.

Well you have to tell us your build if you're going to say all that. I'd guess you use that darkmoon buff if you're in the covenant.

As far as my own PvP went today, I received my first and second ever hate messages. The first guy invaded me at the Kiln while I was trying to use my own red eye orb. He was two-handing a black knight greataxe with a grass shield on his back, real original. He was one of those jerks that never ever swings until you do, and just ninja flips around waiting on you to make a move. As I've dealt with about a hundred carbon copies of him I use TWoP, and killed him in three swings of the great club. He messages me saying, "TWoP pussy", and so I respond saying that if he had used a shield he wouldn't have died. He responds saying that, "I don't need to use a shield when people fight right. TWoP is noob shit." He literally hadn't swung his axe once, nor did he block anything, I don't know what he expected. TWoP seems to me like it was put in the game as a counter to the Dark Wood Grain Ring, and it lasts 15 seconds.

The second message was from someone angry that I went further into the level. I invade him at the Kiln, he bows, I bow back, then I make a break for it. He got caught up with the black knights and I make it onto those skinny poles you have to walk across. He summons two phantoms to help him and they all head down to get me. I was behind the first big pillar with the fog ring waiting. As they start rounding the pillar I use TWoP and start swinging at the host. I kill him and then get killed by pyromancy from the phantoms immediately afterwards. That's when he sent me a couple foul-mouthed messages. I tell him if he wants to have a duel then he should use the red soapstone, I am there to kill him however I've got to.

If either of them had used a shield they wouldn't have died, and it's ridiculous to expect me not to use WoG or TWoP as a faith build. Am I just supposed to heal myself until they die or something?

I think I'm starting to have the same attitude that worldrevolution (I think?) had about PvP. No more gestures , no more waiting for them to buff, I'm just killing them.

Saya

Is it realistic to attempt making it through this game without using any magic? I haven't learned any yet, and probably won't if I can make it through straight melee.

Totally possible. I never use any spells even though I upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +15... Not even sure why I did that. I only bought the spells to get the trophies associated with them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Yeah, I was trying to do it at the giant, that's not where you do it. lol.

J-Roderton

Totally possible. I never use any spells even though I upgraded my Pyromancy Flame to +15... Not even sure why I did that. I only bought the spells to get the trophies associated with them.

Absolutely.

Awesome. More souls to put towards upgrading weapons.

Can't wait to finish these finals and have a couple weeks to just chill and start getting through the game a little more.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WTF were they thinking with those armored snipers in Anor Londo? Talk about horrendous design. Glad I never have to do that again.

My brother already answered the question on upgrading, but as for A or S DEX weapons, Iaito and Uchigatana are both A in scaling when maxed.

Minor boss weapon spoilers:
Priscilla's Dagger is an S.

Yup, you totally can. I never used magic/pyromancy on my katana character.

Crud, sorry about the double post.

Saya

Can someone please explain what those Dark Soul weapon rankings mean? I keep reading about S, D, C, etc. on forums but I don't understand it and haven't been able to find a good explanation online.

J-Roderton

Idk why, but I want to upgrade the shit out of my uchi. Something about katanas in games I think is badass, so I pretty much want to get it to where it will be doing a lot of damage. I'm guessing my best route would be to just go with regular upgrading to +15 right? Without lightning or fire. Just have to find that damn ember. Drake Sword is only gonna cut it for so long.

Can someone please explain what those Dark Soul weapon rankings mean? I keep reading about S, D, C, etc. on forums but I don't understand it and haven't been able to find a good explanation online.

The letter grades determine scaling on weapons. What I mean by that is that if your character had for example two DEX weapons in the game that had identical stats as far as damage, but one was S and the other A, the weapon with S would do more damage when equipped, because you would get more attack power out of the S scaling with your DEX stat.

one85x

Well you have to tell us your build if you're going to say all that. I'd guess you use that darkmoon buff if you're in the covenant.

As far as my own PvP went today,...
I think I'm starting to have the same attitude that worldrevolution (I think?) had about PvP. No more gestures , no more waiting for them to buff, I'm just killing them.
Kiln is thought of as the official PvP arena. When you invade there, it's assumed that you're there for a fair fight. This means following the typical PvP etiquette of bowing and allowing each other to apply buffs. Following these 'rules' outside of Kiln is pretty stupid though, especially since there's a good chance it's going to be a 3v1.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This +15. The I love the Kiln as well, a very grandiose prison.. Looks wise, nowhere else in the game.
There were a few things that hit me very hard (excluding weapons) when I first reached the Kiln:

1. The very fact that that massive construction is a prison
solely for Gwyn

2. Out of all those hundreds of loyal Black Knights you see in the prologue, there is only a handful left. Think about that for a second... they are either extremely powerful or just insanely devoted. The ones that survived/stayed behind just wait there, guarding their master until the end of time.

3. By this point, you are more powerful than them.

Ill Saint

There were a few things that hit me very hard (excluding weapons) when I first reached the Kiln:

1. The very fact that that massive construction is a prison
solely for Gwyn

2. Out of all those hundreds of loyal Black Knights you see in the prologue, there is only a handful left. Think about that for a second... they are either extremely powerful or just insanely devoted. The ones that survived/stayed behind just wait there, guarding their master until the end of time.

3. By this point, you are more powerful than them.

The (bad) ending is actually quite poignant when you consider this and Gwyn's state. I know most people felt ripped off at the lack of exposition, but it really says everything that needs to be said.

2AdEPT

I live in Indianapolis someone come over and cut off Seath's tail for me.

If I don't get it tomorrow I'm just gonna go the upgraded weapon + crystal magic weapon spell route. Although it will just feel weird to have the catalyst in my left hand.

I only have 16 strength and 12 dex what's my best option here?

great scythe has reach and bleed (good for tails! especially the gaping dragon which requires the overhead tomahawk swing....one hit with chaos +5 and 10 humanity).....not too high stat req. iirc......i have to force myself to use other weapons....looks so badass. Try to sort out your online stuff, or use the sharp slashing weapon...queelags fury sword was in one of the videos. You reaaly need the moonlight this playthrough, not because it is all powerful...just too cool specialty moves x2 for r2 1 and 2 handed...it fits that it is the hardest in the game to acquire, because it literally is one of if not the coolest IMO. like other tough to get items it can be a let down when you idealize it ahead of time....I did this and it actually met my expectations for a change.....smeared those fuckin crystal hollows with it while farming trident......was fun.

in the video they used the crystal trick, but if i had a sharper sword than the lightning spear I think i could have got it without the crystal trick....i eventually got it by hiring a single phantom that knew what he was doing but it took a good 4 hours to find him. just make sure seath goes toward you at one extreme end so his tail is exposed and time your run just before he does his crystal attack. it is annoying when his tail is in the wall but this is 100% your own fault for engaging him there and not allowing him to come towards you on either extreme end....drawing him out is a prerequisite to tail chopping. You wouldn't believe how many well intended phantoms (maybe 10?) I had to message or purposely not give estus to for not understanding this....I stopped hiring two phantoms as it takes only one to screw it all up.....at least they usually die as they go in too close face to face with the most fearless character in dark and expect to win.

2AdEPT

or earlier if that i your intent!!! Don't be afraid to run through the ghosts people ....this was not meant to be a linear game!!! You are not breaking your game, you are doing what the developers intended when they gave you the master key, and put new londo and transient curses within stumbling distance of the start! I tried a +5 demon's spear on those darkwraiths after draining the lagoon and died zero even at low level.

BTW - does anyone know why kirk did not show up for me in the first leg of demon's ruins after the lava drain? Did his spot change after the patch? I am pretty sure I got him to appear and killed him in the depths first....and yes I am human ;p

Ill Saint

BTW - does anyone know why kirk did not show up for me in the first leg of demon's ruins after the lava drain? Did his spot change after the patch? I am pretty sure I got him to appear and killed him in the depths first....and yes I am human ;p

He usually appears as you run along the narrow ledge down to the ruins after draining the lava. If he doesn't pop up before you reach the capra demons then maybe try again after a quit and reload?

2AdEPT

He usually appears as you run along the narrow ledge down to the ruins after draining the lava. If he doesn't pop up before you reach the capra demons then maybe try again after a quit and reload?

i got too many characters going must have forgot to do him at the depths with this character before killing gaping. went all the way to the firesage door twice - went back to depths to check on kirk- only to find the lordvessel in my possession. lost 50,000 souls on a level 28 character as wel on the rock monster when going to get my bloodstain back from the taurus guantlet.....ARGHHHHHHHHH

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The (bad) ending is actually quite poignant when you consider this and Gwyn's state. I know most people felt ripped off at the lack of exposition, but it really says everything that needs to be said.
Good point. I think that's why it hit me even heavier when I accidentally got the bad ending.

(Ending spoiler)
My character just strolling out of there, all those horrible snakes bowing to him, like it was his idea all along to off Gwyn and claim the throne for himself.

I felt so betrayed ;_;

Dresden

So I finally started a new character post-patch ( a straight up zweihander only guy, no shield or nuthin' like that ), and . . . victory achieved? :( Seeing for myself was a downer.

The amount of extra souls you gain feels very nice though. Started as a bandit so I could two-hand the Zweihander asap and it's been fun. Three-shotted the first black knight in undead burg with a pine resin on.

Ill Saint

Good point. I think that's why it hit me even heavier when I accidentally got the bad ending.

(Ending spoiler)
My character just strolling out of there, all those horrible snakes bowing to him, like it was his idea all along to off Gwyn and claim the throne for himself.

I felt so betrayed ;_;

That one is actually considered the good ending!

Dresden

(Ending spoiler)

I felt so betrayed ;_;

I wouldln't worry about it. The
(good) ending is much worse in that it's boring
, and both of them are rather ambiguous as to which is the 'good' one anyways.

malfcn

This game has a tendency to be easier, and then fuck me when I have something.

Went back to the training area, and beat the Stray Dragon no problem. Then as soon as I leave, the fiery peons somehow instakill me. I respawn, and they do it again. There goes 20k souls. Everytime I have some souls or humanity the game fucks me. If I have nothing, the game doesn't care what I do and let's me on my merry way. Argh.

Fell down there (exhausted). I have a Homeward bone, but what would happen if you fell in a hole, with no homeward bone to escape?

2AdEPT

This game has a tendency to be easier, and then fuck me when I have something.

Went back to the training area, and beat the Stray Dragon no problem. Then as soon as I leave, the fiery peons somehow instakill me. I respawn, and they do it again. There goes 20k souls. Everytime I have some souls or humanity the game fucks me. If I have nothing, the game doesn't care what I do and let's me on my merry way. Argh.

Fell down there (exhausted). I have a Homeward bone, but what would happen if you fell in a hole, with no homeward bone to escape?

patience my young malfwalker! those ass hats can be run by if you ensure you are <25%.

there is a ladder down there is there not? hard to see but it is there. my assumption is that there are no near bottomless pits...getting caught on a rock always gets corrected when i quit and come back....never got stuck like that yet. just found the ladder in catacombs from pinwheel....told many they needed to burn a bone but was wrong.

mxgt

Banned
switched characters too quuick.....duaghter of siegmeyer ws told i had not seen her pops by mistake....no slab.

I fed the slab I got from the demon in undead asylum to frampt.

derp. I had no idea how rare they were at that point.

This is what I'm doing right now. Decided to take a break from Dark Souls by taking a stab at earning the platinum on Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls is a lot easier than I remember. I guess 300 or so hours of Dark Souls has improved my skills a bit.
I played a melee temple knight in DeS, but think I might try a ranged mage this time around. Especially when bosses become a joke when you could just spam projectiles and flame based attacks for easy kills.

First run complete, with Gwyn killed on first attempt. Onto NG+ and trying not to screw up the Catarina quest this time around.

edbrat

i eventually got it by hiring a single phantom that knew what he was doing but it took a good 4 hours to find him.

I was so lucky on my first runthrough, my phantom disappeared from view while I made an idiot of myself getting hit and chugging estus like some desperate drunk, then suddenly he has chopped the tail off and I had the Moonlight GS without even knowing how good it was, then he murdered the living hell out of the boss while I stood there scratching away barely doing any damage.

Footos22

Yay, The channellers finally dropped not one but 2 tridents after killing about 50 of the bastards.

Now to just kill Gwyn then get back to Sif and Anor londos blacksmith for my Platinum.

Ill miss this game but its time to put it to rest. After losing my first 75 Hour NG+ save file and having to start fresh. Im about to hit NG++ at 44 hours.

I have never put so much time into a game before.It even out does about 5 playthroughs of final fantasy 7 over the last 10 years or so.

My GOTF <3

So I beat the game as a Pyro Warrior, so then I re-rolled as a pure sorc.

I gotta say that I wanted to be a sorc because i saw one guy running around with Homing Soul Arrow and causing mad damage.

But alas, I hate using magic ONLY compared being a pyro warrior. I wish that Pyromancy scaled in NG+. Is getting it ascended to +5 really all that I can do for it?

Insaniac

So I beat the game as a Pyro Warrior, so then I re-rolled as a pure sorc.

I gotta say that I wanted to be a sorc because i saw one guy running around with Homing Soul Arrow and causing mad damage.

But alas, I hate using magic ONLY compared being a pyro warrior. I wish that Pyromancy scaled in NG+. Is getting it ascended to +5 really all that I can do for it?

Using dusk crown and bellowing dragoncrest ring boost its damage, but other than that, its capped. Pyromancy is still very lethal in NG+.

Also, try making a melee/sorc hybrid using Magic weapon buffs and +15 weapons, its fun.

MrWisker

I am on NG++ and I have never used magic. Playing a wanderer at SL140 using a +15 Iaito or Chaos Blade (Also a +14 Claymore for some fights). Dex is at about 60. Learn to hit hard and fast to get a quick bleed bonus from these weapons.

Sullichin

I am on NG++ and I have never used magic. Playing a wanderer at SL140 using a +15 Iaito or Chaos Blade (Also a +14 Claymore for some fights). Dex is at about 60. Learn to hit hard and fast to get a quick bleed bonus from these weapons.

Is there a point to getting DEX to 60? Iaito still scaled up that high?

MrWisker

Is there a point to getting DEX to 60? Iaito still scaled up that high?

Whenever I leveled up I would always put a point into the DEX stat if it increased my right hand number. After a DEX of 40 it would usually show an increase in the right hand stat every third level (and this would include using a SL on a different stat other then DEX).

So basically my strategy was to increase DEX if damage increased on right hand. If not, I would increase either VIT / STR. Once I hit a level upgrade that showed a DEX increasing right-hand damage I would increase it. I was having increases up to level 60 of DEX.

Sullichin

Whenever I leveled up I would always put a point into the DEX stat if it increased my right hand number. After a DEX of 40 it would usually show an increase in the right hand stat every third level (and this would include using a SL on a different stat other then DEX).

So basically my strategy was to increase DEX if damage increased on right hand. If not, I would increase either VIT / STR. Once I hit a level upgrade that showed a DEX increasing right-hand damage I would increase it. I was having increases up to level 60 of DEX.

Makes sense, I was also neglecting that your character is melee only. I stopped DEX at 40 because it didn't seem worth it to get one point every 3 levels. At that point in my 140+ character I was wasting points to get the requirements for Greatsword of Artorias.. and what a waste that was. I wonder what the difference in damage output is on a DEX 40 Iaito + 15 vs a DEX 60.

I really don't understand why anyone would use crystal weapons. I know there's an achievement/trophy for getting one maxed out, but other than that, it really doesn't seem worth a few more points of damage if it's just going to break. What a waste of a slab! I also wish the boss weapons were better overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom