• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

sikkinixx

So I found the last necromancer in the Catacombs... and he didn't drop a skull lantern *le sigh* so I crept so damn slow, got some EXTREME luck in that the giant skeletons fell off the cliff and made it to the bonfire! YAY!

So I found the last necromancer in the Catacombs... and he didn't drop a skull lantern *le sigh* so I crept so damn slow, got some EXTREME luck in that the giant skeletons fell off the cliff and made it to the bonfire! YAY!

It can't have been the last one. It's a guaranteed drop.

There's one as loot in TotG not far from the first bonfire if you miss all others. edit - after Patches has his way with you yes!

I'm trying to think how many Necromancers there are in Catacombs.

By the first bonfire
Across the first small bridge, in the area before the Lucerne
At the end of the highest spike bridge
With the switch below the drop off from the Great Sythe
At the foot of the ladder that leads to TWoP miracle
With two archers down the ladder in the area before the wheel skeletons and exploding skulls

Tragic that I have all that in my memory, but I can't think of any more!

Mistel

Banned
There's one as loot in TotG not far from the first bonfire if you miss all others. edit - after Patches has his way with you yes!

By the first bonfire
With two archers down the ladder in the area before the wheel skeletons and exploding skulls

Dirty Patches...

That's all of them there's only six I found the last one and got a black knight great axe through my spine.

sikkinixx

By the first bonfire

I never got that miracle so it must be the one I missed then. Son of a bitch. Oh well, I just ran past Patches to hit the bonfire so I guess I'll deal with his shit, get the lantern and hopefully unlock Rhea to buy a few miracles from since he dudes are around there I think.

I think when I eventually do another play through I'm going hard on INT/DEX. Sorcery has so many different spells that look like you just wreck everything.

Sorcery is a lot of fun and very OP for bosses. Power Within+Dusk Crown+Bellowing Ring+Tin Crystal Catalyst makes everything a joke. I love magic in Souls!

Adry9

I'm asking here bacuase I want to avoid any spoilers that might be on DS2 OT. If I buy the physical version of Dark Souls 2 I still get a code to activate and download it from steam right? Been a while staying digital only but dat Black Armour edition hahah

Inskipp

I'm asking here bacuase I want to avoid any spoilers that might be on DS2 OT. If I buy the physical version of Dark Souls 2 I still get a code to activate and download it from steam right? Been a while staying digital only but dat Black Armour edition hahah
AFAIK it's a Steamworks game, so you're going to have to play it via Steam anyway.

So I think it's a safe bet that a physical copy will be eligible for Steam.

sikkinixx

Getting that lantern... wow what a difference. Area isn't so scary now (except for those skeleton dogs, wow fuck those things), Made it to the fog door which I know is for Nito but chickened out and warped back, got the Large Divine Ember (which wasn't bad, I just stood up above and hurled Pyro at them) and then realized I only had 2 White Titanite Chunks so I could only take my Claymore to +7. Got some miracles from Rhea (holy shit Great Heal is awesome) and did some co-op with someone in Anor Londo to get a sunlight medal to trade for White Titanite. But damn.... NG+ folk have it rough. O+S took SO much damage to kill. Even those Royal Sentinel guys were brutal to kill. A cool 100k souls by killing them and the boss though. Enough for another 3 levels.

Have you got enough faith for Wrath of the Gods? There's a really good white titanite chunk farming spot in TotG and that's the quickest way to do it:

1. Equip homeward and Wrath of the Gods.

2. From the second bonfire, run to the archer above and drop down to path/island where the silver serpent ring is, when the skeleton totem things pop up, blast with WotG, collect the spoils and use homeward.

3. Profit!

My best haul was 4 white titanite chunks in one go, I think there are only 5 or 6 enemies that appear lol!

By the first bonfire

You can also learn the light spell and use the shortcut while giving them the middle finger to all of them in the jump

sikkinixx

Have you got enough faith for Wrath of the Gods? There's a really good white titanite chunk farming spot in TotG and that's the quickest way to do it:

1. Equip homeward and Wrath of the Gods.

2. From the second bonfire, run to the archer above and drop down to path/island where the silver serpent ring is, when the skeleton totem things pop up, blast with WotG, collect the spoils and use homeward.

3. Profit!

My best haul was 4 white titanite chunks in one go, I think there are only 5 or 6 enemies that appear lol!

Yeah I'm at 39 Faith now and just bought WotG from Rhea. I'll give your method a go! I'll equip the Golden Serpent ring to boost the odds a bit too. Some dude in Co-Op last night just dropped me 4 Red Titanite Chunks, 3 Blue ones and 8 regular ones. I was confused then bummed there we no white ones :p

Also, are there better shields for 3 lbs than the Dragon/Crest shield? My build is EXACTLY at the 25% weight limit so I can't go anymore over but because I have low poise, having some higher stability in the shield would be helpful.

Deitus

Also, are there better shields for 3 lbs than the Dragon/Crest shield? My build is EXACTLY at the 25% weight limit so I can't go anymore over but because I have low poise, having some higher stability in the shield would be helpful.

Caduceus Kite Shield or Tower Kite Shield. Both have the same exact stats, and are sold by Andre the blacksmith in undead parish for cheap. They weigh 3.0 and have higher stability than the Dragon Crest shield. The fire damage reduction is lower obviously (since that's the Dragon Crest's thing) but still fairly high, and the lightning and magic defense are slightly higher so it balances out. Still 100% physical reduction of course.

Edit: You should still hold on to the Dragon Crest/Crest shields for enemies that use high fire and magic damage. But the higher stability of the kite shield makes for a better all purpose shield.

Inskipp

Heater shield weighs 2 units and has higher stability than the Dragon/Crest shields.

sikkinixx

Caduceus Kite Shield or Tower Kite Shield. Both have the same exact stats, and are sold by Andre the blacksmith in undead parish for cheap. They weigh 3.0 and have higher stability than the Dragon Crest shield. The fire damage reduction is lower obviously (since that's the Dragon Crest's thing) but still fairly high, and the lightning and magic defense are slightly higher so it balances out. Still 100% physical reduction of course.

Edit: You should still hold on to the Dragon Crest/Crest shields for enemies that use high fire and magic damage. But the higher stability of the kite shield makes for a better all purpose shield.

Heater shield weighs 2 units and has higher stability than the Dragon/Crest shields.

Was looking at the Wiki and I think I might try to either level up END a bit more to gain some extra carrying load so I can use the Silver Knight Shield. 76 Stability and all it needs is Twinkling Titanite which is easily farmed on those clam things in the crystal caves. I just upgraded the Dragon Crest Shield to +5 with it so it already has 66 stability, the extra work on the heater shield for +2 probably is better spent levelling up a bit more to get the extra carrying capacity.

I would have liked the Wood Grain Ring pre-patch when you just needed to be under 50% to have the fast roll. My timing has become more or less reliant on the longer invincibility since my armour is pretty light.

I would have liked the Wood Grain Ring pre-patch when you just needed to be under 50% to have the fast roll. My timing has become more or less reliant on the longer invincibility since my armour is pretty light.

If you're going for a dex pvp build, Gold Flecked Robes, almost any non-greatshield, and a katana/scythe will work wonders with the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

onionfrog

I'm getting lucky with the Dark Wraiths in New Londo. I spent an hour or so farming them last night and got two titanite slabs and more Dark Hands than I can ever use.

Mistel

Banned
Was looking at the Wiki and I think I might try to either level up END a bit more to gain some extra carrying load so I can use the Silver Knight Shield. 76 Stability and all it needs is Twinkling Titanite which is easily farmed on those clam things in the crystal caves.
Or you could buy it from the giant black smith the Balder knight shield is also a nice shield.

NinjaBoiX

Guys, I traded in my PS3 for a PS4, and I'd never killed Gwyn. Yet again, I fall at the final hurdle in a Souls game! I'm disappointed in myself.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped out, great little community this.

I'm sure I'll back in touch with most of you guys when the inevitable PS4 port of DS2 rolls around!

Peace,

Ninj.

NinjaBoiX

Third times the charm if you had a 360 you could get it now and play with me and Screaming meat playing old man souls co-op.
I have a 360 but the thought of starting again makes me want to push red hot needles under my fingernails.

I love the game, but I spent waayyy too much time to start again.

I'll be back for round 2 whenever it comes out! (It's all but confirmed let's be honest.)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the game for the first time. Holy crap. Once I figured out you can actually parry Gwyn it was alright :)

A new age of my life begins now. I feel like I can beat every single game in the universe.
Then I started NG+ and died the first time 20 seconds into Undead Burg goddamnit

Chitown B

Guys, I traded in my PS3 for a PS4, and I'd never killed Gwyn. Yet again, I fall at the final hurdle in a Souls game! I'm disappointed in myself.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped out, great little community this.

I'm sure I'll back in touch with most of you guys when the inevitable PS4 port of DS2 rolls around!

Peace,

Ninj.

If you saved your saves to the cloud, you could still go back and continue someday. It's possible PS4 will get Dark Souls for PS NOW.

Did a piece in excitement for DS2.

silent_knight_by_thecongressman1-d7dxqz0.png

sikkinixx

Did Red Liq's spot for farming White Titanite Chunks and easily racked up enough to get my Claymore maxed out (ran down and grabbed the slab from outside Nitos lair). 526 damage as it stands now and goes up by 3 by point of INT at the moment.

Annnnnnd did a quick run to try Nito not expecting to win and I did! Heart was racing. Fucking skeletons were a bitch. But after that he was easy to kite around and hurling lighting at then whacked him a few times to finish it up. Nice!!! Now... I dunno which to do: kings or the fire area past Queelags lair. Just stoked to be out of the dark

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just accidentally attacked the anor Londo blacksmith!! I know that there is some sort or resolve sins type deal in the game, is that included in those?

Honestly I kinda have my load out locked already so I don't need him much anyway.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the D
ragon Torso
Stone
(for the first time, ever since I played Dark Souls)

Farming for the Dragon Scales sure requires some sanity (around 5-10 hours of it, or even lot more); One of the farming runs which went for like 6 times (killing 5 Drakes every time) got me nothing, even with maximum item drop rate.

Did FROM want players to find the Dragon covenant in successive playthroughs of NG+ or more? As ranking up through the covenant requires an extremely large number of Dragon Scales, a small portion of which are easily available only during normal progression if a NG game (each time).

Also assuming if FROM wanted this Dragon Form gained by Dragon Torso Stone in supposedly leaning towards some form/kind of hardcore run. As using the Dragon Torso Stone requires the player to remove all armor pieces (head, torso, gloves and legs) and defense is extremely low without armor, all the while giving something in return (dragon/fire breath using the head piece, some sort of shout which stagger and also gives a few seconds of damage buff).

Because, gaining it requires
.to traverse through The Great Hollow, which is a secret itself
.travelling till the end of the Ash Lake
.Dragons are supposed to be dead, but there is one in Ash Lake
.progressing through the ranks of the Dragon covenant requires these rare Dragon Scales

kionedrik

Did Red Liq's spot for farming White Titanite Chunks and easily racked up enough to get my Claymore maxed out (ran down and grabbed the slab from outside Nitos lair). 526 damage as it stands now and goes up by 3 by point of INT at the moment.

Annnnnnd did a quick run to try Nito not expecting to win and I did! Heart was racing. Fucking skeletons were a bitch. But after that he was easy to kite around and hurling lighting at then whacked him a few times to finish it up. Nice!!! Now... I dunno which to do: kings or the fire area past Queelags lair. Just stoked to be out of the dark

The Lost Izalith goodies are better than the New Londo ones, plus the area is more annoying as well, so I like to get it over asap and end in an high note by doing the other, more enjoyable, zones last.

I just accidentally attacked the anor Londo blacksmith!! I know that there is some sort or resolve sins type deal in the game, is that included in those?

Honestly I kinda have my load out locked already so I don't need him much anyway.

You can ask Oswald, the guy in the church bell tower, to cleanse your sins. That will stop NPC aggro.

shiroryu

Hey DS-GAF, just beat Gargoyles, have a melee Knight build at SL20ish and the Master Key. Planning to do a tankish build; are the Claymore and Axe viable weapons with a STR/DEX build? What would be the best place to go first? Darkroot Garden (just barely beat the Titanite demon) or Lower Undead Burg?

Edit: Also went back to Undead Asylum, Stray Demon is some endurance shit. Fuck that, that's for later. Black knights were kicking my ass but three parries with Drake Sword got them. I love parrying, so good in this game. Luckily their attacks are predictable enough that you can stand point-blank and parry.

Soulhouf

Hey DS-GAF, just beat Gargoyles, have a melee Knight build at SL20ish and the Master Key. Planning to do a tankish build; are the Claymore and Axe viable weapons with a STR/DEX build? What would be the best place to go first? Darkroot Garden (just barely beat the Titanite demon) or Lower Undead Burg?

Edit: Also went back to Undead Asylum, Stray Demon is some endurance shit. Fuck that, that's for later. Black knights were kicking my ass but three parries with Drake Sword got them. I love parrying, so good in this game. Luckily their attacks are predictable enough that you can stand point-blank and parry.

Claymore is an excellent weapon for a pure physical build (str+dex).
Upgrade it all the way to +15 and that thing will serve you very well for the entire game and beyond (you'll find the ember and materials to go above +5).

You can go to Darkroot garden. There are a few very useful items you can pick up and that will help you for the next areas.
Explore as much as you can. The game is very rewarding in that regard.

Also, a word of advice: drop that Drake Sword in the bottomless box and never pick it again.

Mistel

Banned
Hey DS-GAF, just beat Gargoyles, have a melee Knight build at SL20ish and the Master Key. Planning to do a tankish build; are the Claymore and Axe viable weapons with a STR/DEX build? .
The claymore can carry you through the whole game once upgraded I also suggest the strength scaling beauty that is the man serpent greatsword it's going to be right up your alley.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The claymore can carry you through the whole game once upgraded I also suggest the strength scaling beauty that is the man serpent greatsword it's going to be right up your alley.

Yup, MSGS has monster scaling and a monster moveset. It is a bitch to get to drop and lacking on the range front though, so make sure you can fast/mid roll or have high END so your shield can take a beating up close.

onionfrog

Yup, MSGS has monster scaling and a monster moveset. It is a bitch to get to drop and lacking on the range front though, so make sure you can fast/mid roll or have high END so your shield can take a beating up close.
I've had it drop when playing a dex build! ;/

It seems like the things you don't want drop more often. If I'm going for a basic upgraded weapon, the slimes drop nothing but green titanite shards!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've had it drop when playing a dex build! ;/

It seems like the things you don't want drop more often. If I'm going for a basic upgraded weapon, the slimes drop nothing but green titanite shards!

In that way DS resembles life, I think: You spend your life struggling hard to get the things that you dream of, only for them to never arrive and for you to be stabbed in the back by some twink who has all the cool stuff super early.

I think I lost track of that...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just got the D
ragon Torso
Stone
(for the first time, ever since I played Dark Souls)

Farming for the D
ragon Scales
sure requires some sanity (around 5-10 hours of it, or even lot more); One of the farming runs which went for like 6 times (killing
5 Drakes every time
) got me nothing, even with maximum
item drop rate.

Did FROM want players to find the D
ragon
covenant
in successive playthroughs of NG+ or more? As ranking up through the covenant requires an extremely large number of D
ragon Scales
, a small portion of which are easily available only during normal progression if a NG game (each time).

Also assuming if FROM wanted this
Dragon Form
gained by D
ragon Torso
Stone
in supposedly leaning towards some form/kind of hardcore run. As using the D
ragon Torso
Stone
requires the player to
remove all armor pieces (head, torso, gloves and legs) and defense is extremely low without armor
, all the while giving something in return
(dragon/fire breath using the head piece, some sort of shout which stagger and also gives a few seconds of damage buff)

Because, gaining it requires
.to traverse through
The Great Hollow
, which is a secret itself
.travelling till the end of the
Ash Lake
Dragons
are supposed to be dead, but there is one in
Ash Lake
.progressing through the ranks of the D
ragon
covenant
requires these rare D
ragon Scales
Actually you're meant to PVP with other dragon covenant members and people who summon you via your Dragon Eye sign to gain stones which you use to level in the covenant and upgrade dragon weapons. You get them a lot faster that way by winning a match. In the case of a tie both players are awarded a Dragon Scale after the duel.

So it's meant to be a "dragon's honor" combat type thing. Pretty sure FROM didn't intend for the scales to be farmed, but gained through PVP.

Jamesways

So how big is the jump in difficulty from NG+ to NG++? Worth going through a thrid time? O&S near impossible?

Had a blast in NG+, leveled up to play with other equip, joined the sunbros, beat Super Ornstein this time to get his spear and armor, did everything I pretty much wanted to do.

Ran through twice now with Elite Knight armor set, just love the look of it. This time though, did Shadow Set gauntlets and Wanderer pants (which still matched the armor) to keep equip under 25% so I could move fast and flip with Havels Ring and the Dark Grain Wood Ring.

God I love this game!

Mistel

Banned
stabbed in the back by some twink who has all the cool stuff super early.

I think I lost track of that...
I had fun with my notched whip doing that...

But as for those who like strength weapons this might provide you with some aid:
  1. Dragon fist pretty much infinite durability with S scaling at plus +5 so worth getting those dragon scales for it if you like the moveset.
  2. Butcher's Knife has a beautiful move set and far better range than most of the other axes it absorbs HP too what's not to love about it?
  3. Black knight greataxe a nice weapon you can pick up relatively early from the catacombs if you're lucky.
  4. Taurus Demon greataxe arguably the best strength weapon in game if you get one and upgrade it I recommend crystal path for it as it gets higher damage and keeps it's S scaling.

Alright, so the Ornstein and Smough fight is fucked. I haven't repeated it as much as other bosses but I'm really sick of of it. The game is not made for a fight like this. The lock-on system is too messed up to handle two bosses at the same time and god damn, I hate it when enemies can't damage eachother. That's more of a pet peeve but Smough's hammer should have destroyed Ornstein by now. It just seems cheap that they can attack constantly without any damage to eachother and all I can do is run in circles. And summoning won't help because I'll probably still just die and it will be a waste of humanity. When people say the real Dark Souls starts at this fight, does that mean that the game is just broken boss fights from here on in? Don't think I'll be getting past it anyway because I can't get to the second phase of the apparently easier rage Smough form.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Alright, so the Ornstein and Smough fight is fucked. I haven't repeated it as much as other bosses but I'm really sick of of it. The game is not made for a fight like this. The lock-on system is too messed up to handle two bosses at the same time and god damn, I hate it when enemies can't damage eachother. That's more of a pet peeve but Smough's hammer should have destroyed Ornstein by now. It just seems cheap that they can attack constantly without any damage to eachother and all I can do is run in circles. And summoning won't help because I'll probably still just die and it will be a waste of humanity. When people say the real Dark Souls starts at this fight, does that mean that the game is just broken boss fights from here on in? Don't think I'll be getting past it anyway because I can't get to the second phase of the apparently easier rage Smough form.
It's not broken. But we've all been there. What's your build and fighting style?

You might want to try a different build for the fight, wearing lighter armor and trying a shield that has lightning resistance and high stability (silver knight shield). Grind a bit on the silver knights around Anor Londo for some souls and the shield drop if you don't have it, and try to keep your equip burden under 50% for the fight. Another tip is that Pyromancy works well, especially greater combustion. Failing that you can also poison them with poisoned throwing knives or arrows.

Take a break for a while if you need to, but don't give up. You're not a bad player if you've gotten this far but by that same token the game isn't broken, it's just challenging in a way that frustrates you right now.

Top Bottom