• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
Why full Havel anyway? You can get better sets than that like black iron for example which are lighter and can be upgraded.

onionfrog

Started a Soul Level 1 playthrough this weekend. It's not too bad so far. I just beat the Iron Golem in Sen's Fortress. Combustion and Great Combustion just rip through bosses. It only took 3 hits to knock him down, then I killed him with combustions before he could even get up!

I think I'm going to try to clear out New Londo before Anor Londo so that I can farm the Dark Wraiths for Titanite Chunks. My fire +7 Hand Axe is doing quite well for the time being.

I'm doing this run on PS3 due to uncertainty about what will happen to my PC saves once GFWL is gone. I had forgotten just how bad the frame rate is in Blighttown! That single digit frame rate! 0_0

Kaleinc

Banned
Knight Artorias in Royal Wood is seriously stressing me out, I've been trying to defeat him for 3 days now, by far the most difficult boss encounter for me in DS.
The only attack leaving him wide open for a long time is a huge leap from afar. Be prepared for 40 minutes of fun if your weapon is not so good.

kionedrik

Why full Havel anyway? You can get better sets than that like black iron for example which are lighter and can be upgraded.

I think the issue is that Black Iron and Giant sets are only better than Havels after being upgraded, and 10 (?) Twinkling titanite per item is a bitch...

Yu Narukami

I beat
4 Kings
and
Seath
. What should I do next
Nito
, the area after
Queelag
or the DLC? I'm level 85.

Overdoziz

Banned
If you're going to spoiler-tag something (which I honestly find silly at this point, especially for a game like Dark Souls), just cover up entire sentences.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I beat
4 Kings
and
Seath
. What should I do next
Nito
, the area after
Queelag

Post Queelag (Demon Ruins & Lost Izalith), Nito (Tomb of the Giants), then DLC.

In order of worst - best, so you end on a high note.

Yu Narukami

If you're going to spoiler-tag something (which I honestly find silly at this point, especially for a game like Dark Souls), just cover up entire sentences.

I spoiler-tagged Boss names. The time it took to write your setence could have been used to simply answer my question. But thanks anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about you lot, but I really love (ending spoiler)
Kiln of the First Flame

On one hand it may seem a little rushed design-wise, but to me it seems like a perfect way to show how far you've come.
You remember how terrified of the Black Knights you used to be to you as you literally smash through a small army of them.

Whether it was rushed or not, I think it's actually a very smart and cool way to end the game. Plus the fact that
it seems like you are actually in a giant bonfire.

kionedrik

I don't know about you lot, but I really love (ending spoiler)
Kiln of the First Flame

On one hand it may seem a little rushed design-wise, but to me it seems like a perfect way to show how far you've come.
You remember how terrified of the Black Knights you used to be to you as you literally smash through a small army of them.

Whether it was rushed or not, I think it's actually a very smart and cool way to end the game. Plus the fact that
it seems like you are actually in a giant bonfire.

I don't think it was rushed, simply because I get the same feeling of the Painted World or Oolacile, which are far from being rushed imo. The fact that everything is covered in ashes also helps to create that eerie vibe. Also, it's a FFA PvP arena which is another reason to love it :D

As for the black knights, I think they lost a great opportunity to create some spectacular fights with them (1v2 or 1v3).

Mistel

Banned
I think the issue is that Black Iron and Giant sets are only better than Havels after being upgraded, and 10 (?) Twinkling titanite per item is a bitch...
Well considering that it's lighter and you can get infinite twinkling titanite black iron is more than worth upgrading. Giant's is even heavier than havel's I believe so it's more of a preference of taking that higher defense for the added weight.

But in the sequel there's the ironclad and old iron clad sets which it's torso alone is 29.8 in weight in not 100% sure but both prevent back stabs and riposting against you. The ironclad certainly does.

I beat
4 Kings
and
Seath
. What should I do next
Nito
, the area after
Queelag

If you are a melee go for Lost Izalith and Nito then go for the DLC.

There are not interesting swords in the DLC except for Kalameet's sword

akira28

Running through New Londo Ruins, ganking Darkwraiths like "gimme the loot! gimme the loot!"

Want that Titanite chunk, ya'll.

Trying to one hit Kalameet's tail. I can kill that bastard, but getting his tail is hard.

kionedrik

Well considering that it's lighter and you can get infinite twinkling titanite black iron is more than worth upgrading. Giant's is even heavier than havel's I believe so it's more of a preference of taking that higher defense for the added weight.

But in the sequel there's the ironclad and old iron clad sets which it's torso alone is 29.8 in weight in not 100% sure but both prevent back stabs and riposting against you. The ironclad certainly does.

They are both lighter than Havel's set. I meant that in order to make them better than Havel's you either have to farm the titanites or farm the souls to buy them from the giant blacksmith, and for some people that's a painful chore so they stick with the Havel's set.

I can already see some PvP builds with those armors, considering the importance of backstabs and/or riposte attacks. Incoming pantless darkwraiths...

Mistel

Banned
Who wasnt, oh wait.
See it's not only Gwyndolin I get mixed messages from.
They are both lighter than Havel's set. I meant that in order to make them better than Havel's you either have to farm the titanites or farm the souls to buy them from the giant blacksmith, and for some people that's a painful chore so they stick with the Havel's set.

I can already see some PvP builds with those armors, considering the importance of backstabs and/or riposte attacks. Incoming pantless darkwraiths...
I'm thinking backstab and riposte proof Havel with dual maces...

I suposse it's probably quite handy to have Havel's set I suppose really if you don't like farming at all.

kris.

Banned
so i was playing last night (pc), running around the depths prepping for my fight with the gaping dragon. i was human so i could get that npc black phantom and also summon lautrec and whoever else for the fight. i got invaded a few minutes after becoming human, but ran around for like 5 minutes trying to find whoever invaded me. i found her running into a dead end that i'd just left and hid behind the corner waiting for her to come back out. got her with a few two-handed hits and boom, dead phantom. about 45 seconds later, i got a message from her calling me all sorts of crude, angry things and saying i was a coward and that i sucked at the game. it honestly felt like i was on xbox live. is using strategy like that really considered cowardly? i'm not sure on dark souls online etiquette because i don't really enjoy PvP all that much and stick mostly to PvE.

Mistel

Banned
Nah that's fine don't invade if you can't stomach being killed. A nice backstab would have really rubbed their face in it.

so i was playing last night (pc), running around the depths prepping for my fight with the gaping dragon. i was human so i could get that npc black phantom and also summon lautrec and whoever else for the fight. i got invaded a few minutes after becoming human, but ran around for like 5 minutes trying to find whoever invaded me. i found her running into a dead end that i'd just left and hid behind the corner waiting for her to come back out. got her with a few two-handed hits and boom, dead phantom. about 45 seconds later, i got a message from her calling me all sorts of crude, angry things and saying i was a coward and that i sucked at the game. it honestly felt like i was on xbox live. is using strategy like that really considered cowardly? i'm not sure on dark souls online etiquette because i don't really enjoy PvP all that much and stick mostly to PvE.
There is no etiquette to invasions, it's whatever gets you the win. Sounds like a sore loser, you get LOTS of them in PvP, enjoy the sour grapes!

Mistel

Banned
Well you could do this:
giant_dad__by_alexmercer95-d6h77a8.gif

If you wan't to make people really like you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There is no etiquette to invasions, it's whatever gets you the win. Sounds like a sore loser, you get LOTS of them in PvP, enjoy the sour grapes!

Dark Souls seems to have introduced a lot of players who don't play PVP games to PVP, and as a result there's a new generation of "throws are cheap" rationalizations cropping up. It's practically nostalgic, like I am back in 1992 with Street Fighter II for the first time.

Kinda funny too, considering Dark Souls PVP is the most low down dirty pit fight in gaming IMO. Of all the games for people to discover PVP with...

ACE 1991

So I can't play the game online because I somehow set up parental controls (years ago) on a different email that is linked to my GFWL account. Microsoft won't let know what account email it's linked to, so I'm fucked. *sigh.*

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've saved every piece of hate mail I've gotten from Dark Souls I & II. They are precious gems in my collection.

By yeah, never take shit from someone who invades you. There are no rules to invasions unless you summon someone from a red soapstone or dragonbros. Do anything and everything you can to survive. There can only be one.

Speaking of hate mail I've got some already from invaders in Dark Souls 2. One where I just circle strafed through an area with ruins, baited out attacks and punished appropriately all while putting enough distance between us to pop heals when needed. Got a "nice job being a coward, fucking noob" message for that one.

Another one where I ran to a high ground fort area where the only way up was a long ladder
Saltfort bonfire
and waited there for the invader to find me. When he finally sauntered up he huge, wearing bulky armor and 2-handing something nasty looking. I just waited until he got to the top and 2-handed the shit out of him until he rolled forward. I had a ring that greatly decreased fall damage on so I just jumped off the ledge with the ladder.

Apparently that convinced dude it was OK for him to jump too, and he jumped, only to get OH-KO'd by fall damage. "Fucking bullshit" was what greeted me afterwords.

Overdoziz

Banned
Beat NG+6. With my black knight halberd +5, hornet ring and power within I could get over 1700 damage per parry on Gwyn. Now I'm finally ready for Dark Souls 2! Took me 55 hours for the first playthrough and around 40 for all the other ones combined.

KiKaL

I have received many thank you messages from co-op play in Dark Souls on PS3. It's refreshing.

Speaking of Co-op is there any etiquette for that? I am usually hollowed so it doesn't matter but the few times I am unhollowed I see the white summon text but am hesitant to do anything because I still feel like a giant noob. Is co-op just getting summoned and just going and killing things together?

fozzy

Hi I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a bit of guidance.

I feel like where ever I go I get destroyed and I'm not powerful enough.

I went down in to the sewers I think and made it to a big boss with lots of teeth and get destroyed. I also got a curse and had to look up how to remove it ( I didn't like having to look it up)

I killed a butterfly boss in the darkroot place. I also managed to kill a pretty strong guy that dropped a ring that helped me carry more weight I think. But I got killed by a hydra boss very
easily.

I went to the skeletons but they keep coming alive. ( I had quite a group chasing me at one point) I think a message said divine, but I don't want to look it up. Kind of want to stumble across it if that makes sense.

Lastly I went to some kind of ghost town but get destroyed there as well.

Should I suck it up and try beat the bosses?

Thanks for any help given.

Speaking of Co-op is there any etiquette for that? I am usually hollowed so it doesn't matter but the few times I am unhollowed I see the white summon text but am hesitant to do anything because I still feel like a giant noob. Is co-op just getting summoned and just going and killing things together?

Yes, a white (or gold) phantom summoned to your world is to help kill the area's boss. The summoned phantoms can help explore the level and fight the enemies, and stay until killed, the area boss is defeated, the host is killed, or a separation crystal is used.

If you're hollow, you can still use the White Sign Soapstone to place a summon sign that other players can see and summon you to their world for jolly co-operation. It's a great way to obtain risk free souls (if you die you don't leave a bloodstain).

Are you upgrading your weapon? That is the single most important thing to do early on, more important than levelling up even. Farm or buy 9 titanite shards to +5 your weapon.

Having been to the Depths you should've also picked up the large ember, take that to someone who would know what to do with it, and you can then take your weapon to +10 using 9 large titanite shards. The slimes that drop from the ceiling in the Depths drop large shards (as well as green) so that is a nice early place to farm them. And I would make that a priority.

The Hydra is a pretty fun and easy boss when you know how to handle it. When you get close it stops doing the magic attack which is often the worst thing in fighting it. Close up it switches to a head pounding attack allowing you to attack melee at the heads. It doesn't have tons of health and is very doable early on with a +5 weapon. You can use it's magic attack to kill the crystal golems for you as it hurts them too.

The Depths is the 'correct' path to head to next, but exploring the forest is also an option, some nice loot in there. New Londo Ruins is a bit more difficult but doable - the ghosts cannot be damaged unless you are cursed or use a transient curse which gives you about 5 minutes of time when you can attack them, they also drop the same item so the more ghosts you kill the more you can kill!

The Depths boss: in human form you can summon two NPCs if you are having a tough time. In human form (use a humanity) you will see their summon signs on the floor above the boss fog door. Tactics for dealing with this boss: Kill the Channeller above (creepy soul arrow shooting guy) as he buffs the dragon making it stronger. Channeller does not respawn. The dragon's weakspot is it's head, but it's rarely safe to stand directly in front of it - except for when you first start the battle, it will 99% of the time drop down and allow you a good 3 or 4 hits in before it moves. After that stay behind it and attack it's tail to cut it off for a) removing it's ability to swipe you with it and b) a unique weapon - several bosses have tail cut weapons. The merchant before the boss also sells gold pine resin which buffs your weapon with lightning - all dragon-type enemies are weak to lightning.

There is also an NPC red phantom invader in the Depths who will invade you in human form when you venture in to a specific part of the area, he also drops unique loot, a nice chunk of souls and this continues his 'questline' - he will not appear if you have already killed the boss, so if you want to kill him, do so before defeating the boss.

Good luck.

If he starts to going to non boss path I usually show him where the rare chests or illusory walls are and usually says "No" if there is a trap ahead.

I am usually paired with melee guys so he starts tanking the boss and I do the damage or usually I tend to tank them showing them how to evade.

Dont Rush, take your time and always upgrade your weapons and armor first rather than leveling up, Dont upgrade your weapon to do elemental damage, use the resine instead

kionedrik

Well you could do this:
If you wan't to make people really like you.

May I just say how much I hate the Giant Dad build? It is the most unimaginative, boring and cheap build you can have, and the worst part is that everybody copies it... also the Zwei R1 sweep-lag-staggering is just bollocks.

As PvP goes, I believe the community accepted zone for honorable duels is the Oolacile Township, everywhere else is kill or get killed.

AkuMifune

Banned
Trying to get to Artorias before DS2 hits PC (just finished DS2 on PS3) and it's rough getting back to it. Made it through Sen's, but had to deal with this invader who just stood on the walkway naked with a greatshield trying to throw me off. I was too afraid to try parrying him because his greatshield had a throwback AoE. ? Eventually was able to knock him off before getting killed by the stupid golem at 2am. I hate going to bed in failure.

Was there an easy way around the invader? Would I be ok trying to parry him or was he essentially a troll just blocking the tiny path?

DS2 definitely easier. I was wondering where my soul gems were, couldn't warp back to a blacksmith yet, enemies never stop respawning...these little things add up.

Mistel

Banned
May I just say how much I hate the Giant Dad build?
See I said that people would like you... But Giant dad's did suck especially as I was a forest hunter.

Was there an easy way around the invader? Would I be ok trying to parry him or was he essentially a troll just blocking the tiny path?
They were being a toll if you do it properly then you can kill the host with a great shield slam by punting them off the edge.

onionfrog

The upper New Londo Ruins were a pain in the ass at Soul Level 1. I died 6 or 7 times trying to go through legitimately and kill the ghosts along the way. Eventually I just ran through as fast as possible and killed ingward before getting killed myself. Then I made another run to drain the water.

I'm glad I'm done with that. Now I can farm the Dark Wraiths for Titanite Chunks.

fozzy

Well to get a better understanding of what your issues are may I ask perchance what equipment you are using?

Are you upgrading your weapon? That is the single most important thing to do early on, more important than levelling up even. Farm or buy 9 titanite shards to +5 your weapon.

Having been to the Depths you should've also picked up the large ember, take that to someone who would know what to do with it, and you can then take your weapon to +10 using 9 large titanite shards. The slimes that drop from the ceiling in the Depths drop large shards (as well as green) so that is a nice early place to farm them. And I would make that a priority.

The Hydra is a pretty fun and easy boss when you know how to handle it. When you get close it stops doing the magic attack which is often the worst thing in fighting it. Close up it switches to a head pounding attack allowing you to attack melee at the heads. It doesn't have tons of health and is very doable early on with a +5 weapon. You can use it's magic attack to kill the crystal golems for you as it hurts them too.

The Depths is the 'correct' path to head to next, but exploring the forest is also an option, some nice loot in there. New Londo Ruins is a bit more difficult but doable - the ghosts cannot be damaged unless you are cursed or use a transient curse which gives you about 5 minutes of time when you can attack them, they also drop the same item so the more ghosts you kill the more you can kill!

The Depths boss: in human form you can summon two NPCs if you are having a tough time. In human form (use a humanity) you will see their summon signs on the floor above the boss fog door. Tactics for dealing with this boss: Kill the Channeller above (creepy soul arrow shooting guy) as he buffs the dragon making it stronger. Channeller does not respawn. The dragon's weakspot is it's head, but it's rarely safe to stand directly in front of it - except for when you first start the battle, it will 99% of the time drop down and allow you a good 3 or 4 hits in before it moves. After that stay behind it and attack it's tail to cut it off for a) removing it's ability to swipe you with it and b) a unique weapon - several bosses have tail cut weapons. The merchant before the boss also sells gold pine resin which buffs your weapon with lightning - all dragon-type enemies are weak to lightning.

There is also an NPC red phantom invader in the Depths who will invade you in human form when you venture in to a specific part of the area, he also drops unique loot, a nice chunk of souls and this continues his 'questline' - he will not appear if you have already killed the boss, so if you want to kill him, do so before defeating the boss.

Good luck.

If he starts to going to non boss path I usually show him where the rare chests or illusory walls are and usually says "No" if there is a trap ahead.

I am usually paired with melee guys so he starts tanking the boss and I do the damage or usually I tend to tank them showing them how to evade.

Dont Rush, take your time and always upgrade your weapons and armor first rather than leveling up, Dont upgrade your weapon to do elemental damage, use the resine instead

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the elite knight armour and I think it's a +5 Longsword.

I won't get to play any today but I definitely put in to practice all the tips.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks for the replies. I'm using the elite knight armour and I think it's a +5 Longsword.

I won't get to play any today but I definitely put in to practice all the tips.
Well your armor is fine so that's no issue but might I suggest a balder side sword or a claymore to replace you longsword?

Both will get you through the game.

Jamesways

I go back and forth with the Balder SS and Uchigatana. The Uchi is the strongest scaling weapon I've found for dex. Most damage that is.

kionedrik- if you run through enough times, eventually they should drop one. I think someone might even sell one, but I'm not sure.

Beat O&S on NG++ last night, first time without online help. Feels good.

It's fun to do stuff out of order in subsequent playthroughs, got rite of kindling first for a few bonfires I didn't kindle high enough in the last 2 games, then beat the 4 kings to get it out of the way right at the start.

Oni Jazar

Good to see people still playing the original.

I NEED HELP!! :eek:

I'm in the first bonfire in Blighttown and my weapon broke. Is there any way for me to repair it? Hopefully a smith nearby or a shortcut to a smith? I don't think I have any items to help with that.

Mistel

Banned
Good to see people still playing the original.

I NEED HELP!! :eek:

I'm in the first bonfire in Blighttown and my weapon broke. Is there any way for me to repair it? Hopefully a smith nearby or a shortcut to a smith? I don't think I have any items to help with that.
Repair powder or back track to Andre you can buy items from him so you can do that where ever you are.

Top Bottom