• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Beat Manus. Felt good. Playing an agile character with the ninja ring is so much more fun than playing a tank character. And my Uchi is awesome.

And Kalameet fell as well.

DLC was outstanding content.

Jamesways

Beat Manus. Felt good. Playing an agile character with the ninja ring is so much more fun than playing a tank character. And my Uchi is awesome.

And Kalameet fell as well.

DLC was outstanding content.

Ditto, Manus defeated. Kalameet left to go. And I agree, love playing a quick dex based character. At this point it's fun trying out different weapons. I've really taken a liking to the Gold Tracer for regular enemies.

The DLC was well worth it.

kionedrik

Why do people cheat? Seriously... It's so pathetic it's borderline sad.

I just invaded 3 guys and the first 2 had infinite health while the 3rd dropped 6 Million souls upon defeat (the norm around this char level is between 2k to 10k). I dumped the souls when I got to my world but now I am so pissed I just can't stand the thought of playing again. This is not my first experience with cheaters in this game but these 3 in a row left a very bitter taste in my mouth...

Is it known if there will be any anti-cheat measures in DS2?

Why do people cheat? Seriously... It's so pathetic it's borderline sad.

I just invaded 3 guys and the first 2 had infinite health while the 3rd dropped 6 Million souls upon defeat (the norm around this char level is between 2k to 10k). I dumped the souls when I got to my world but now I am so pissed I just can't stand the thought of playing again. This is not my first experience with cheaters in this game but these 3 in a row left a very bitter taste in my mouth...

Is it known if there will be any anti-cheat measures in DS2?

Steamworks might be easier to regulate than GFWL, so let's hope.

Jamesways

Beat Kalameet this morning, Didn't have that tough a time at all, compared to Artorias and Manus that is. Only took three tries, and one of them was a bee-line for the Titanite Slab, then just to watch patterns.

Artorias and Manus just destroyed me over and over, get health about 1/2 gone and get beat to hell.

So then did a clean up and prep for ng+, farming some stuff, leveling up a bit, killing npcs, etc. Summoned Solaire and beat Gwyn the first try. Kind of wish I didn't summon him, I didn't even get a chance to execute a single parry after the fireballs and hacking at his back.

Excited for NG+, now, experimenting with different ring combos and weapons.

Fantastic game all around.

The game I ordered should arrive soon so I may as well as some question in preparation now.

I finished Demon's Souls but I never felt like I got much of a grasp on how the game worked and just blindly fumbled my way through it shooting that spell you get with the easy class. So any recommendations on what class I should start with. I do want to go for a classic sword and shield type run but I want to be a quick dodger and jump around a lot in fights rather than rely on tanking. So what should I be leveling? Strength and Dexterity? Does it even have the same things to level as Demon's? :p Will I have any idea on how to figure out what equipment I should be using for my build?

I understand this is a more natural open world rather than the hub world in Demon's so how is exploration? Will I find cool stuff or will I just die? Ok, I'm obviously going to die but is exploring rewarded quite well or are you always being pushed in a general direction?

Sorry, for the noob questions. Seeing as this is the fifth OT, you guys are probably sick of answering the same old shit.

Joei

The game I ordered should arrive soon so I may as well as some question in preparation now.

I finished Demon's Souls but I never felt like I got much of a grasp on how the game worked and just blindly fumbled my way through it shooting that spell you get with the easy class. So any recommendations on what class I should start with. I do want to go for a classic sword and shield type run but I want to be a quick dodger and jump around a lot in fights rather than rely on tanking. So what should I be leveling? Strength and Dexterity? Does it even have the same things to level as Demon's? :p Will I have any idea on how to figure out what equipment I should be using for my build?

I understand this is a more natural open world rather than the hub world in Demon's so how is exploration? Will I find cool stuff or will I just die? Ok, I'm obviously going to die but is exploring rewarded quite well or are you always being pushed in a general direction?

Sorry, for the noob questions. Seeing as this is the fifth OT, you guys are probably sick of answering the same old shit.

For the type of character you want, you'll want to focus more on DEX. You may need to level up STR a little just to meet the requirement to equip some of the DEX weapons, but nothing to much. Personally, I loved playing as a DEX character. I just did a character were I leveled up STR to equip some of the heavier and more STR focused weapons, and I just don't like it. They tend to be too slow for my liking and if you miss, you get left open for hits. If you connect, you can stagger enemies better or just outright kill them in one or two hits, but I don't like it. Now keep in mind, if that's the character you want to do, one that is focused on quick strikes and lighter on there feet, you only need to upgrade your DEX to maximize your abilities. Regarding attacking, there would be absolutely no reason to level up STR and DEX at the same time since you won't be getting the benefits of a STR boost and all those soul levels will essentially go to waste.

As for weapons, Falchion and Katanas will be were you want to go. You'll probably start off using a long sword until you find one of the previous weapons.

And yes, this game can be fun finding cool stuff and you'll die a lot, but that's part of the enjoyment and rush you get from finally completing an area. The game will at times give you vague ideas where to go, but the beginning can be very daunting with how to proceed. I don't know how you feel about using guides, but the http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Dark+Souls+Wiki can be a FANTASTIC resource. Some people frown on first timers using it, but since the game can be incredibly overwhelming (hell, even the wiki can be overwhelming too, lol), some like that it gives them a clear idea on how to approach things and how to level up a character, rather than going through trial and error since it does take time to go through trial and error and some only have limited time to play games.

Oh and for what character to pick, I've used Bandit and Pyro, though I like Bandit better since I've never been one to use many spells in either this or Demon's.

Mistel

Banned
Running around and dodging a lot means you want lighter armor really to stay below 50% for the fast roll. Weapons wise it depends on what you want to use before you decide what skills to develop.

You could use dex weapons or strength ones both have their effects on play due to their nature.

I prefer the sub 25% fast rolls for a dex character. Sub 50% is mid role and that's ok, but 50%+ is fat roll and super slow and better off just tanking.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking forward to starting this. Hope it arrives tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be in here at some point saying it's the worst game ever after dying :p

soontroll

Banned
I'm stuck on O&S on a SL1 run. I'm trying to fight Super Ornstein and while I can hit Smough for a lot, I can't do anything to SO. Any tips? They're mostly getting cheap hits on me, e.g. Ornstein always clipping through Smough and his stupid spastic dash attack.

mothball

I beat Gaping Dragon last night, and so far I've beaten all the bosses on my first attempt this run. It feels pretty amazing to oneshot them when they took 5-6 attempts on my first playthrough 2 years ago.

It was late, so I decided to just get to the Blighttown bonfire and quit. It turns out the bonfire was further in than I remembered, though. I had also forgotten about that breakable floor trap. And I had doubly forgotten about the grabbing attack that the undead there like to do.

45k souls down the drain.

I beat Gaping Dragon last night, and so far I've beaten all the bosses on my first attempt this run. It feels pretty amazing to oneshot them when they took 5-6 attempts on my first playthrough 2 years ago.

It was late, so I decided to just get to the Blighttown bonfire and quit. It turns out the bonfire was further in than I remembered, though. I had also forgotten about that breakable floor trap. And I had doubly forgotten about the grabbing attack that the undead there like to do.

45k souls down the drain.
If you take the Iaito jump, the bonfire is really close to the entrance. (For future reference! :p )

Mistel

Banned
I'm stuck on O&S on a SL1 run. I'm trying to fight Super Ornstein and while I can hit Smough for a lot, I can't do anything to SO. Any tips? They're mostly getting cheap hits on me, e.g. Ornstein always clipping through Smough and his stupid spastic dash attack.
I saw this in the other thread but I knew you'd post it here in due course but for super Ornstein just spam pyromancy at him and he dies easily.

Use the pillars and Solaire to separate them for an easier fight.

Holy Hell! I did it!

Praise the sun.

I finally beat the game, after one aborted playthrough, 50 hours in, and another 80 hour, properly run, playthrough (130 hours total!), with a level 81, INT build Pyromancer, I did it!

After being thoroughly destroyed by Demon's Souls when I bought it at launch for $60, I swore to never play Dark Souls. I finally caved and bought it for $5 on XBLA this past xmas. Best $5 I ever spent. I can't wait to finally go on and give Demon's Souls a run for it's money, but firs Dark Souls 2? Which approach should I take?

I'm riding such a high right now. The only person I've had to exclaim this to is my g/f, who doesn't give a shit, and can you blame her? 130 hours in the last three months on one game. I hope you guys are proud. GAF made me do it.

I BEAT DARK SOULS! WAHHOOO!!

Soriku

Holy Hell! I did it!

Praise the sun.

I finally beat the game, after one aborted playthrough, 50 hours in, and another 80 hour, properly run, playthrough (130 hours total!), with a level 81, INT build Pyromancer, I did it!

After being thoroughly destroyed by Demon's Souls when I bought it at launch for $60, I swore to never play Dark Souls. I finally caved and bought it for $5 on XBLA this past xmas. Best $5 I ever spent. I can't wait to finally go on and give Demon's Souls a run for it's money, but firs Dark Souls 2? Which approach should I take?

I'm riding such a high right now. The only person I've had to exclaim this to is my g/f, who doesn't give a shit, and can you blame her? 130 hours in the last three months on one game. I hope you guys are proud. GAF made me do it.

Congrats. Go have your revenge on Demon's Souls, then move on to Dark Souls 2.

Jamesways

Holy Hell! I did it!

Praise the sun.

I pretty much feel the same way. I beat it Sat and am now just destroying things in NG+ (alreday 5 boses downed in the first night), it's so much fun. One of my favorite games hands down.

I tried to get into it twice before, but didn't have any patience with it. Too hard, controls were strange, character moved too slow, etc.

I'm so glad I decided to stick with it.

Although my wife says it's "the new Skyrim" and not good for our quality time (I put hundreds of hours in that). She said at least with that she enjoyed the soundtrack. This one is a bit to weird for her.

Dark Souls 2 next after NG+ is done.

Well done Goldenroad. If you already have Demon's you could hop straight into that. You might feel burnt out though, go play something cute and fluffy for a week and then show Demon's what for, it will be less of an uphill struggle now you know the ins and outs of the series and have got one of them under your belt :)

soontroll

Banned
I saw this in the other thread but I knew you'd post it here in due course but for super Ornstein just spam pyromancy at him and he dies easily.

Use the pillars and Solaire to separate them for an easier fight.

Thanks. I went to blighttown and got combustion and great combustion. Managed to beat them today without taking a single hit from super Ornstein.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Wow. I'm really enjoying this game. And somewhat surprised by that fact. Picked this up a few weeks ago for $15. I no longer have much gaming time, so probably only 10 hours into the game so far, 7 hours with my current character (after a few false starts, so to speak).

The game is challenging, but fair. As someone who first got inot gaming with arcades in the '70s and the Atari 2600 at home, I appreciate the old school feel. Some trial and error. memorization. But I feel each time I play, I get better at the areas known to me, while pushing ahead into the unknown.

Like I said, not too many hours put into it, I'm currently playing around in the Undead Parish, just got the Fang Boar Helm. But I was kind of expecting that I'd get frustrated with the game after an hour or two, and abandon it - hence while I waited til it was dirt cheap.

Maybe the answer is obvious and I am missing it, but I do have a question. Just started using the Drake Sword. When I equip it, seems to be an icon that shows up underneath my health and stamina meters. Meaning? Thanks.

soontroll

Banned
Wow. I'm really enjoying this game. And somewhat surprised by that fact. Picked this up a few weeks ago for $15. I no longer have much gaming time, so probably only 10 hours into the game so far, 7 hours with my current character (after a few false starts, so to speak).

The game is challenging, but fair. As someone who first got inot gaming with arcades in the '70s and the Atari 2600 at home, I appreciate the old school feel. Some trial and error. memorization. But I feel each time I play, I get better at the areas known to me, while pushing ahead into the unknown.

Like I said, not too many hours put into it, I'm currently playing around in the Undead Parish, just got the Fang Boar Helm. But I was kind of expecting that I'd get frustrated with the game after an hour or two, and abandon it - hence while I waited til it was dirt cheap.

Maybe the answer is obvious and I am missing it, but I do have a question. Just started using the Drake Sword. When I equip it, seems to be an icon that shows up underneath my health and stamina meters. Meaning? Thanks.

Tip: Don't use the Drake Sword. It makes the early game easy but more importantly you don't learn the benefits of upgrading equipment (which you will need to know by the time the Drake Sword becomes useless). By the time you get to the mid-game areas, you won't have a strong enough weapon because you didn't upgrade anything else.

The icons underneath the health + stamina bars are status effects. The icon you probably see is a shield with an arrow pointing up, which means a defence buff. The Drake Sword gives you increased fire and magic defence.

Joei

I've been playing through AotA for the first time and it's a nice amount of content for being DLC and 10$. I wish I had bought this when it came out.

sikkinixx

Beat Seath yesterday on my third try. First time those clams followed me in and killed me when I got stunned from his carpet-of-crystals attack, second time was bullllllllllshit as I got stuck on his tail (wtf?) and was running in every direction but wouldn't get off his tail then he swung it back and forth and killed me in a couple hits.

THIRD time though... wrecked him. Pure brute force, let him smash the crystal and ran between his arm things and two-handed Lightning Halberd'd him to death. His carpet attack went out too far so I didn't even take a hit. Huzzah! Just hit level 87 and spent a bit turning that enchanted Falchion I found into a +10 Falchion to become a... fire weapon I guess? I already have a Lightning weapon, a Divine and an Occult so I wanna have all my bases covered (though really... I only use the Divine and Lightning ones).

Next is Tomb of Giants I guess... I got there before but left as the darkness is so shitty. But I want that Large Divine Ember so I guess in I go. I'm also holding off on New Londo as ghosts look sucky, and so do Four Kings.

sikkinixx

Light sources available you just have to get them so you can see...

You get the lantern down there I think right? And the sunlight maggot thing is later on, and my intelligence is only 8 so don't think the spell will do it for me. Sigh. I'll just watch a ton of video guides.

Mistel

Banned
You get the lantern down there I think right? And the sunlight maggot thing is later on, and my intelligence is only 8 so don't think the spell will do it for me. Sigh. I'll just watch a ton of video guides.
If you've got the lord vessel already then you can go get the sunlight maggot.

onionfrog

The last necromancer in the catacombs should be a guaranteed drop for the skull lantern.

So the game arrived today. I played like 8 hours and I don't think I got very far. I don't even know if I'm enjoying myself but I must keep going. I can't turn the thing off. Also, I've been leveling up my dexterity a bit and would appreciate if someone could point me in the direction of katana or something that takes advantage of dexterity. I'm gonna keep going on this DEX character but do you guys think I should level up strength to some level that would allow me to use most weapons, like 20 or something?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am a dex build, at sl 119 with the following stats.

Vit: 50
Att: 19
End: 40
Str: 16
Dex: 40
Res: 12
Int: 17
Faith: 8

What do I pump points into? I was thinking Int to help my GMW or start using Crystal Magic Weapon. Vit only gives 9 or so hp per point which seems minor, dex doesn't really give me any more damage on my Uchi, End just gives me more equip load at this point.

So in my mind the two choices are more vit and int. Thoughts?

I play a ninja rolling person holding the Grass Crest shield and wearing the mask of the child for lots of stamina regen, and using an Uchi, and some minor pyromancy.

So many giant skeletons why :( you could have died in a more accessible place Andre's stone thingy.
I like magic, so what really peeves me about that area is the low ceiling on the ledge where the stairs are, it almost always cancels out your spell or pyromancy. Pretty sure they did that on purpose so magic users couldn't get an easy ride!

I am a dex build, at sl 119 with the following stats.

What do I pump points into? I was thinking Int to help my GMW or start using Crystal Magic Weapon. Vit only gives 9 or so hp per point which seems minor, dex doesn't really give me any more damage on my Uchi, End just gives me more equip load at this point.

So in my mind the two choices are more vit and int. Thoughts?

I play a ninja rolling person holding the Grass Crest shield and wearing the mask of the child for lots of stamina regen, and using an Uchi, and some minor pyromancy.
Are you planning on doing PvP, because the generally agreed number is SL120 or thereabouts, so you're right on the cusp. I often take it to SL125 but no further really. If not doing PvP go as high as you like.

VIT isn't really worth it beyond what you have. I think CWM is 25 INT? I would go for that, probably best bang for your buck (souls) That would make you SL127 which should still be in the PvP sweetspot.

Finally beat NG+. Four Kings is much, much, much more difficult on NG+, but Gwyn was actually easier. I feel like I covered every inch of the game, but I only have 720/1000 achievement points after two play throughs. I know I'm missing a few covenants and some spells. I have no idea how I anyone could get them all without a guide.

First time through: Level 91 and 61 hours.

NG+: Level 142 and 103 hours.

Two times is probably enough for me. I'll buy DS2 when it's on sale. Considering I got this game for $5, I'd say it's one of the best values I have ever had in gaming.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I like magic, so what really peeves me about that area is the low ceiling on the ledge where the stairs are, it almost always cancels out your spell or pyromancy. Pretty sure they did that on purpose so magic users couldn't get an easy ride!

Are you planning on doing PvP, because the generally agreed number is SL120 or thereabouts, so you're right on the cusp. I often take it to SL125 but no further really. If not doing PvP go as high as you like.

VIT isn't really worth it beyond what you have. I think CWM is 25 INT? I would go for that, probably best bang for your buck (souls) That would make you SL127 which should still be in the PvP sweetspot.

I don't plan on PvP no. Why is there a cutoff for pvp?

There is a small edge near to the ladder so you can jump and kill them faster with your spell, its a suicide to go down the ladders.....

Thrak360

Neo Member
Tip: Don't use the Drake Sword. It makes the early game easy but more importantly you don't learn the benefits of upgrading equipment (which you will need to know by the time the Drake Sword becomes useless). By the time you get to the mid-game areas, you won't have a strong enough weapon because you didn't upgrade anything else.

The icons underneath the health + stamina bars are status effects. The icon you probably see is a shield with an arrow pointing up, which means a defence buff. The Drake Sword gives you increased fire and magic defence.
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I know nothing about equipment upgrades. Haven't seen a way to upgrade, assume that's related to a blacksmith? Which I haven't found yet.

I switched to Drake Sword from Battle Axe. Pretty much been trying to grind levels so I could wield the Black Knight Sword. Is that weapon upgradeable? I've previously gathered that the Drake Sword was bad because it doesn't scale with skills - so I never intended to use it long term.

Jamesways

Finally beat NG+. Four Kings is much, much, much more difficult on NG+, but Gwyn was actually easier. I feel like I covered every inch of the game, but I only have 720/1000 achievement points after two play throughs. I know I'm missing a few covenants and some spells. I have no idea how I anyone could get them all without a guide.

First time through: Level 91 and 61 hours.

NG+: Level 142 and 103 hours.

Two times is probably enough for me. I'll buy DS2 when it's on sale. Considering I got this game for $5, I'd say it's one of the best values I have ever had in gaming.

I'm dreading that fight.

I'm already past the archers in Anor Londo, going to farm the area a bit to level up Attunment and INT. The number of souls enemies drop is surprising, Royal Sentinals- 9,000? Damn.
But, as quick as you run through some areas in NG+, enemies do hit like trucks. Elite Knight armor +9/10, and still get 2 or 3 shotted by starters with unupgraded broken straight swords.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I know nothing about equipment upgrades. Haven't seen a way to upgrade, assume that's related to a blacksmith? Which I haven't found yet.

I switched to Drake Sword from Battle Axe. Pretty much been trying to grind levels so I could wield the Black Knight Sword. Is that weapon upgradeable? I've previously gathered that the Drake Sword was bad because it doesn't scale with skills - so I never intended to use it long term.
You can upgrade at a blacksmith, or buy a Weapon / Armor Smithbox to upgrade at a bonfire. You will still have to go to a blacksmith for certain upgrades though (like from +5 to +6, or to a different path).

The Black Knight Sword is upgradeable with Twinkling Titanite. I've been using it since the Undead Burgh and it's served me well since then. I think there may be other, better things, but I swear by it personally.

kionedrik

The first blacksmith is near the church.

The Drake sword is bad for two reasons: it doesn't scale and it makes the early game very easy because it practically one-shots everything, which doesn't sound bad but actually is as you'll be better later if you endure the hardships of the early game like they are "meant to be played". The BKS is a beast and can easily take you through the game. It upgrades with Twinkling titanite and you don't need any ember to fully upgrade it.

onionfrog

Hey guys.
What would a good soul level to stop at if I want to help people with some early game bosses?
EX: Tower Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Quelaag.
I was thinking around SL25, but I don't know if that's too high or too low for some of these. (I'm SL19 right now)

Also, is there anywhere good to farm Red Titanite chunks before you get the Lordvessel?
I got the two chunks from the Black Knights in the asylum and got my Balder Side Sword up to +7 fire.

On an unrelated note, new Londo ruins is a bitch at lower levels. I've given up on trying to run down to get the very large ember for now.

Mistel

Banned
Hey guys.
What would a good soul level to stop at if I want to help people with some early game bosses?
EX: Tower Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Quelaag.
I was thinking around SL25, but I don't know if that's too high or too low for some of these. (I'm SL19 right now)

Also, is there anywhere good to farm Red Titanite chunks before you get the Lordvessel?
I got the two chunks from the Black Knights in the asylum and got my Balder Side Sword up to +7 fire.

On an unrelated note, new Londo ruins is a bitch at lower levels. I've given up on trying to run down to get the very large ember for now.
25 is fine maybe a tad low even for those places really. As for red titanite you get some as forest hunter rewards or from the great hollow pre lord vessel.

On PS3 I used to get summoned for Gargoyles even at SL30.

Agree, SL25 is spot on I think for early co-op. You can trip around Blighttown, Depths, Parish, Forest etc and get summoned at all of them.

onionfrog

25 is fine maybe a tad low even for those places really. As for red titanite you get some as forest hunter rewards or from the great hollow pre lord vessel.
On PS3 I used to get summoned for Gargoyles even at SL30.

Agree, SL25 is spot on I think for early co-op. You can trip around Blighttown, Depths, Parish, Forest etc and get summoned at all of them.
Thanks. I'll shoot for around SL25 then, maybe even a tad higher. I had been holding off on leveling up since I wasn't quite sure where to stop. It'll be good to have more than 16 Vitality and some more endurance lol. The taurus demons in the demon ruins were one shotting me.

I'll leave the rest of my stats as is since it seems like elemental weapons are the best bet at low SL.

I'll try the forest hunter covenant and great hollow for red chunks.

Top Bottom