• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
That's probably your issue it's a drawback you auto target for loss of greater perception I don't think I ever used it though. Summon Solaire he can probably solo one of the two by himself at the first stage. He's no Tarkus but he does the job.

The dragon fist isn't in the sequel :'(.

MG310

I would say bring a friend/Solaire and try to separate them. You'll probably get Ornstein since he gets to you first.

I hit the exact same wall you did the first time. Ended up blowing through 20-something Humanities and having to go back to The Depths to farm the 5 rats near the Bonfire over and over again to build it back up.

I have a Dex build with a Falchion +10. The short reach of that Falchion is kinda fucking me over a bit. I probably do need a new shield. I have a pyro move which is fairly effective but only four uses. I suppose I should grind but I'm kind of tired of grinding. Haven't been enjoying Anor Londo as much as other areas but I guess anything's better than Blighttown.

I've had my ass handed to me over and over again by every other boss which is usually just me being shit or being impatient. These two just get on my nerves so much. Fuck 'em. Out of curiosity, is there a lot more after this boss fight? It's just the regular, no DLC, game.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yes, there is a lot of content post O&S. You're about 60% of the game done at that point.

You still have 3 major areas to traverse as part of the main game with 3 main bosses and lots of mini-bosses BEFORE the final battle.

You also have three giant optional areas with their own bosses and challenges.

That's not even counting the DLC.

Mistel

Banned
I have a Dex build with a Falchion +10. The short reach of that Falchion is kinda fucking me over a bit.
Ditch the Falchion for a balder side sword or a sunlight straight sword it will help you in the long run try getting a sliver knight shield if you don't feel you can dodge well enough.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
And yes Troop has it right, falchion is garbage as it has sub-par scaling (E/B) so the few hits you get in won't do much damage which encourages a turtle play style that Dex builds aren't suited for. Grab a BSS or go for one of the katanas (Iato, uchigatana or an elemental washing pole).

Alright, I'll go searching for one of those swords. I really do enjoy exploring the map. The way the world is designed is so amazing. Love games with these types of overworlds. I may as well say something positive since I've just been complaining in this thread :p

onionfrog

I'm seconding the Balder Side Sword if you have the patience to farm the Balder Knights for it. It's easily my favorite weapon in the game, it's fast and light with good range too!

As for Ornstein and Smough, it's easier if you kill Ornstein first. Try to lure Ornstein out and hide behind pillars to keep Smough from getting close enough to smash you. Don't get greedy either. If you think you can get an extra hit in, DON'T!! Back off early and let your stamina regenerate, and then put your shield up.

Once you kill Ornstein, Smough isn't too bad by himself. You just need to be patient and take safe potshots at him while he's vulnerable.

shiroryu

Claymore is an excellent weapon for a pure physical build (str+dex).
Upgrade it all the way to +15 and that thing will serve you very well for the entire game and beyond (you'll find the ember and materials to go above +5).

You can go to Darkroot garden. There are a few very useful items you can pick up and that will help you for the next areas.
Explore as much as you can. The game is very rewarding in that regard.

Also, a word of advice: drop that Drake Sword in the bottomless box and never pick it again.

The claymore can carry you through the whole game once upgraded I also suggest the strength scaling beauty that is the man serpent greatsword it's going to be right up your alley.

Claymore is an excellent quality weapon, so that's definitely not a bad choice.

Thanks everyone! Went into the Garden, got the Elite Knight set and Wolf Ring. Also went into the Basin and got Havel's ring (after being stomped ten times). Can I carry this set into late game with upgrades, or is there something better?

My Claymore is at +4 now. What about the Zweihander? Ridiculously cool moveset, but I'm guessing it's more for pure STR builds?

sikkinixx

Alright, so the Ornstein and Smough fight is fucked. I haven't repeated it as much as other bosses but I'm really sick of of it. The game is not made for a fight like this. The lock-on system is too messed up to handle two bosses at the same time and god damn, I hate it when enemies can't damage eachother. That's more of a pet peeve but Smough's hammer should have destroyed Ornstein by now. It just seems cheap that they can attack constantly without any damage to eachother and all I can do is run in circles. And summoning won't help because I'll probably still just die and it will be a waste of humanity. When people say the real Dark Souls starts at this fight, does that mean that the game is just broken boss fights from here on in? Don't think I'll be getting past it anyway because I can't get to the second phase of the apparently easier rage Smough form.

It's the most difficult fight in the game I faced (I'm a couple zones from the end now) and I got really annoyed it at. Mainly I tried to pull Ornstein away from Smough by running away. Since he is faster than Smough he chases you faster and you can work on him. I found using the Wood Grain ring and the extra invincibility frames to be extremely helpful. Speed is better than brawn since I found if I got caught up, it didn't matter it took them 4 hits to kill me instead of 3 when I was wearing light armour.

Also summon Solaire at least. It's really helpful and humanity is easy enough to get. Either second form is easy. Stay really close and roll away when they attack and roll really far back when they do their atomp attacks. For super Smough you can also charge right at him, which always causes him to leap, you roll underneath, hit a couple times then run away and repeat.

Anor Londo is the most difficult part of the game IMHO so don't despair.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks everyone! Went into the Garden, got the Elite Knight set and Wolf Ring. Also went into the Basin and got Havel's ring (after being stomped ten times). Can I carry this set into late game with upgrades, or is there something better?

My Claymore is at +4 now. What about the Zweihander? Ridiculously cool moveset, but I'm guessing it's more for pure STR builds?
If you like and you can carry it use it! There's no problem experimenting.

As for armor the elite knight set can be upgraded and is more than worthy of carrying you through. But if your going full on tank there's more ideal sets like the steel set, black iron set, iron golem set, stone knight set and Havel's for usage.

Tactics18

I'm in Anor Londo as well.

Just got one shot by super ornstein's lightning bolt and I had like 3/4 of my HP. Frustrating stuff.
I'm doing the fight solo as I have 0 humanity.
Also I'm trying to kill Ornstein last because I want his stuff.

Mistel

Banned
O&S are the second best boss fight in the game, behind Artorias.
tumblr_mdtlfvfBPn1qlwwpro1_400.gif

( I couldn't find a super Ornstein powering up gif that was good.)

Soulhouf

If you want to break the game, you can go with the Zweihander. It's one of the most powerful weapons for PvE and PvP.
Its 2H moveset is great as well. Stunlock your foes all day.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Finally beat them. I still do think that boss fight has some cheapness to it but I'm too relieved to complain about it now. My hands are shaking, god damn.

Looks like my reward is some massive boobs, wut?

I was wandering around that area outside her room looking for the "great chest" that the messages kept telling me was ahead. Took me awhile to get it.

onionfrog

Even though I've gotten past them before on other playthroughs, the Anor Londo Archers are still bullshit!
Sniped them with poison arrows. That shit was still annoying.
----
I'm only SL26 with this character. Having an ascended pyroflame is like easy mode for O&S! I took out Ornstein with 4 or 5 hits of great combustion!

Joei

I'm doing Kalameet. I've never been filled with such rage.

EDIT - After hours and hours... and hours and hours, I finally beat him. Damn that thing was a pain in the ass.

Mistel

Banned

EDIT - After hours and hours... and hours and hours, I finally beat him. Damn that thing was a pain in the ass.
Did you not have Gough cripple it? Did you get the really nice tail drop too?

Jamesways

That was actually my favorite boss fight of the game.

For me at least, the DLC bosses really stressed the ability to move quick. The Dark Wood Grain Ring was really handy, especially for Kalameet. The AOE attacks covered a lot of ground and the extra invincibility frames and distance added from the flip make quite a difference.

I never rearlly experimented with Miracles in the first two playthroughs, so this one I'm experimenting with buffs and combos. The Lightning Spears are really overpowered on the early bosses, even on NG++.

Mistel

Banned
So glad I co-oped with somebody to beat this boss on the first try. I can only imagine facing them alone.
It's an experience for the most fun do smough first to see arguably one of the best scenes in the game where Ornstein well does this:
tumblr_mi9bfgxUOO1riizp3o2_400.gif

I think I did about 3 solo fights and 40 or so co-op fights for other as a sunlight warrior.

Joei

If I can snag it at sl5, you can snag it.
I don't consider myself a good player, BTW. Just a persistent one.

Oh well now, it's already dead. I couldn't get myself in a good position to get it, and I tried countless times. So, so, so many times I got hit with an AOE or one of his attacks and as I was standing up I got smashed with another attack to kill me. I'm sure it's a nice sword, but whatever, it's not like I can't beat the game as it is. As for SL, I beat the game once at 6, just never did the DLC stuff, so I started a new character and wanted to play around with a different build and tried a STR character (I can't stand using STR weapons, much prefer quicker ones). I really liked the boss fights and the content of the DLC for 10$. Definitely worth the price and I wish I had bought it a long time ago.

Mistel

Banned
I used Gough. F the tail drop,, I just wanted to kill the damn thing.
Well that's no problem if you've not got one you could always pick it up on say a strength based character who probably will get a lot of usage out of it.
Yep, and the serpents come out of his....
Oh my... I'm getting really mixed messages. Is he like Seath with his things for crystals and tentacles? Is no one not a perv?

JRW

Knight Artorias in Royal Wood is seriously stressing me out, I've been trying to defeat him for 3 days now, by far the most difficult boss encounter for me in DS.

JRW

What is your build? How are you battling him?

I might not of focused enough on Strength / Dexterity at this point? (can't wield the heavier weapons / greatshields) but this is my first ever souls play through so I'll have more knowledge on the next run.

My Pyromancy flame is the max ascended +5 form and my best weapon is a Lightning Gargoyle Halberd +5

I actually had less trouble with Ornstein & Smough (beat them solo) my main problem with Knight Artorias is his speed vs. mine, When I cast spells he does a ton of damage to me in the process of casting, and my Halberd is only taking small bites from his health.

SFxpJST.jpg

VS4UM9E.jpg

LOL, you can beat Capra Demon with dung pies/firebombs from outside?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdlCr7MEud0

You can even poison him but I dont think you have that spell in that part of the game.

I might not of focused enough on Strength / Dexterity at this point? (can't wield the heavier weapons / greatshields) but this is my first ever souls play through so I'll have more knowledge on the next run.

My Pyromancy flame is the max ascended +5 form and my best weapon is a Lightning Gargoyle Halberd +5

I actually had less trouble with Ornstein & Smough (beat them solo) my main problem with Knight Artorias is his speed vs. mine, When I cast spells he does a ton of damage to me in the process of casting, and my Halberd is only taking small bites from his health.

Yeah, you have speed but not strength, your pyro glove is still weak you can upgr....oh you are in the DLC.

First of all you are heavy, use light or medium equipment to roll out faster you are at 61% (30 to 50% to roll normal I think) so he would surely destroy you because you didnt evade faster.

This is an endurance battle, hit him once then wait for his ground combo then hit him again, if he go the aerial hit, evade from his sides and hit, sometimes he will do a double aerial combo so be careful.

His Charge attack can be easily evaded and can also be interrupted if you hit him before his carge animation

When he starts chaneling dark energy hit him by his sides then evade, wait for him. then repeat.

As a caster you to use your spells after his three/four combo attack and after hsi charge animation

You can even poison him but I dont think you have that spell in that part of the game.
You could get it from Blighttown first thing with the master key. Homebone back, jump down to Capra and take him out! If you wanted to as long as you're a pyromancer, lol! That's kind of bad ass actually!

Randam

Yeah, you have speed but not strength, your pyro glove is still weak you can upgr....oh you are in the DLC.

First of all you are heavy, use light or medium equipment to roll out faster you are at 61% (30 to 50% to roll normal I think) so he would surely destroy you because you didnt evade faster.

his pyro glove is maxed out.
and he has a lightning weapon so his strength(str, dex) doesnt matter.

but yeah, dont think that weapon is very good.

and I too laugh at people wearing full havel's but.. oh well.
at least he is at 50% equip-load and has mid-roll.

for the fight: there are a few opertunities, you can hit him safely.
find and use those.
dont get greedy.
use (great) combustion and your halberd.

and dont let him charge up.
run up to him and hit him.
2-handed.

Mistel

Banned
You can use a claymore and it will make the whole world of difference even with your stats and you'll get some double C scaling so that's good too.

kionedrik

A few general things:
- You should really consider having combustion and greater combustion (you have the slots for it, just take the tempests out).
- Knight shield is bad, low stability, heavy, no nice bonus. Consider the Grass crest shield for stamina regen, which you need because you have full Havel's, or the Balder shield for a light solution with great stability.
- The Red Tearstone ring doens't help you at all. Swap it for the Clorantine ring of the FaP one.

Regarding Artorias:
- You can block most of his attacks. Dodge when he jumps or does the running stab.
- After his attacks he stays wide open for 2-3 seconds. Hit him then (1 hit for sure, 2 if you feel safe).
- Every 25% missing HP he will roll away and power-up. Interrupt it at all cost (2 hand your weapon and whack him, twice is enough)

Top Bottom