• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Frologic

So I'm on my first run and I've beat all the bosses except the last one. I've spent the last 5 hours making sure that I'm ready for NG+ and the final boss (no spoilers, I still don't know what awaits me beyond the fog in the klin). Not sure how long I should be farming these black knights and upgrading my weapons and armor.

I've got the bk halberd up to +5, vit34, end32, str34, dex20 (So I can have a dragonslayer bow). Everything else untouched (atune10 to get a slot). Artois shield to +5. I forgot to upgrade pyro and all npcs are dead now :/ . Should I build and upgrade all the boss weapons and upgrade my black knight armor pieces to max? I also have no kindled fires except the one in undead parish, not sure if I should go back and kindle them all or just do it in ng+.

So I'm on my first run and I've beat all the bosses except the last one. I've spent the last 5 hours making sure that I'm ready for NG+ and the final boss (no spoilers, I still don't know what awaits me beyond the fog in the klin). Not sure how long I should be farming these black knights and upgrading my weapons and armor.

I've got the bk halberd up to +5, vit34, end32, str34, dex20 (So I can have a dragonslayer bow). Everything else untouched (atune10 to get a slot). Artois shield to +5. I forgot to upgrade pyro and all npcs are dead now :/ . Should I build and upgrade all the boss weapons and upgrade my black knight armor pieces to max? I also have no kindled fires except the one in undead parish, not sure if I should go back and kindle them all or just do it in ng+.
Kindle them now because you lose the rite of kindling in NG+ until you kill Pinwheel again, and the lord vessel too so it's easier to warp around and kindle them now.

Boss weapons are needed for the achievement, but you can't get all of them until NG++ any way I think so if you're going for achievement no need to worry about it yet unless you want to most of it. I wouldn't bother upgrading any of them unless you want to use one. Farm as long as you can stand it, lol. The kiln knights are guaranteed drops but will you need 50 red chunks? :p

Save enough souls to upgrade your pyro flame, then as soon as you get Laurentius, upgrade to +10 then go see Quelana and ascend it to +5 then that's that.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I'm nearly at the end of the game and I just realized that I can use humanity to get more estus flasks. I've been using 5 the whole time. There's probably a huge list of dumb things I've been doing for my first playthrough, oh well. Time for the four kings! :(

Ok, I just learnt something as well here. Definitely doing this from now. Should I just kindle most bonfires, or spare it for where I really have trouble?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ok, I just learnt something as well here. Definitely doing this from now. Should I just kindle most bonfires, or spare it for where I really have trouble?

There are definitely bonfires that are pointless to kindle, but doing them all is safe.

They drop miracles too...

And I wonder what ever happened to that girl in the Undead Parish? Even if Petrus is dead, by the time you are imprisoned in Duke's, she's disappeared...

If you do all her sidequests and buy all her miracles triggers
the channeler on the Undead parish to abduct her to Duke archives so she will lost hope and becomes hollow

If you dont buy all her miracles
Petrus will kill her and you find a soul in her place

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I had forgotten about that bit with Rhea, thanks for the lore refresher guys. It's quite sad that she even asks you to help her if that were to ever happen, and it does. Dark Souls lore is some of my favorite because it is so dark.

Morfeo

So I see the Maneaters from Demons Souls returned. I n00bed as hell and panicked, ending in me falling off the roof. Going back now!

Mistel

Banned
So I see the Maneaters from Demons Souls returned. I n00bed as hell and panicked, ending in me falling off the roof. Going back now!
Belfry-Gargoyle.jpg

Belfry Gargoyles.

Morfeo

Almost did it on my third try now. This will work with some luck and concentration. The high stability shield was very useful, but I died when the other appeared starting to breath fire all over. Need to just get in close with the first and kill it off quickly, as both of them at the same time is quite complicated. I kindled the bonfire btw, but I never have the calmness needed to heal in fights like this, making it so far pretty useless. At least im getting good against the knights!

Edit: This is the kinda fight I would love to have a good bow for :(

789shadow

Banned
Almost did it on my third try now. This will work with some luck and concentration. The high stability shield was very useful, but I died when the other appeared starting to breath fire all over. Need to just get in close with the first and kill it off quickly, as both of them at the same time is quite complicated. I kindled the bonfire btw, but I never have the calmness needed to heal in fights like this, making it so far pretty useless. At least im getting good against the knights!

Edit: This is the kinda fight I would love to have a good bow for :(
Are you still playing? I'd be willing to do some jolly co-operation.

Morfeo

Thanks for the tips and coop-offer! To summon I need to be human right?

Anyways, I managed to beat them on about my fifth try. Was hard, but very satisfying. Also got the tail of one of the Gargoyles, which unfortunately doesnt seem to be that great of a weapon.

Anyways, the figth actually wasnt that hard (way easier than the Maneater-fight in Demons Souls). The attacks could easily be blocked, and was very easy to spot, meaning that you should never really loose any health from the normal attacks. I tended to be confused when the Gargoyle flied, but then just started to stand completely still when he was in the air. This also resulted in him landing very close to me, giving me a good spot to get in a few strikes after blocking his attack. Stuff got way harder when the other guy arrived, but I was a bit lucky, and managed to corner and finish off the first one almost immidiately. Then the second one was a joke as his fire was way to slow on its own to be of any danger.

Awesome fight, and the first Bell is now ringing! Any ideas on where to go now? I was thinking about trying to kill the dragon in Undead Borg, but that might still be a bit early. I guess its down to Blighttown then?

Edit: Kind of sucks that I didnt know about the summon-stuff, as it would have been fun to see them in the fight. Would probably made it a bit too easy though.

789shadow

Banned

Anyways, I managed to beat them on about my fifth try. Was hard, but very satisfying. Also got the tail of one of the Gargoyles, which unfortunately doesnt seem to be that great of a weapon.

Anyways, the figth actually wasnt that hard (way easier than the Maneater-fight in Demons Souls). The attacks could easily be blocked, and was very easy to spot, meaning that you should never really loose any health from the normal attacks. I tended to be confused when the Gargoyle flied, but then just started to stand completely still when he was in the air. This also resulted in him landing very close to me, giving me a good spot to get in a few strikes after blocking his attack. Stuff got way harder when the other guy arrived, but I was a bit lucky, and managed to corner and finish off the first one almost immidiately. Then the second one was a joke as his fire was way to slow on its own to be of any danger.

Awesome fight, and the first Bell is now ringing! Any ideas on where to go now? I was thinking about trying to kill the dragon in Undead Borg, but that might still be a bit early. I guess its down to Blighttown then?
Was that you ringing the bell I just heard ingame? lol

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Edit: Kind of sucks that I didnt know about the summon-stuff, as it would have been fun to see them in the fight. Would probably made it a bit too easy though.

Either down to Blighttown/depths or into the garden.

And summoning makes bosses inconsquential.

Morfeo

Either down to Blighttown/depths or into the garden.

And summoning makes bosses inconsquential.

Where is the garden? Also, one of the advice I got early on was to avoid the graveyard, does that still apply, or could I try to go there now?

What does the summoning makes bosses inconsequential mean?

789shadow

Banned
Haha, if so that would be awesome! I just assumed it happended regularly, not that it was actually other players doing it. So you are also in the Parish having fun then? :)
I was actually standing around waiting to see if you wanted to engage in some jolly co-operation. I think the bell actually does ring when another player rings it if you're online.

Where is the garden? Also, one of the advice I got early on was to avoid the graveyard, does that still apply, or could I try to go there now?

The garden is out the door by the blacksmith in the basement of the old church the bonfire is in. There's a Titanite Demon in the way, but you can run past him. It may be useful to grind the Ents there for poison and toxin healing items in preparation for the Depths and Blighttown.

The graveyard is full of skeletons you can't kill without a divine weapon. The only area that way is the Catacombs, which you probably don't want to do yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Summoning makes bosses very easy.

The Darkroot Garden is down past the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

The graveyard is fine for you. It has good weapons. Past the graveyard is too early.

Morfeo

I was actually standing around waiting to see if you wanted to engage in some jolly co-operation. I think the bell actually does ring when another player rings it if you're online.

Ok cool, sorry I was a bit late responding then, definitely up for trying that at some other time! Even though I really like to tackle the bosses myself for the challenge, I am sure it would be fun to try the coop at once as well.

Summoning makes bosses very easy.

The Darkroot Garden is down past the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

The graveyard is fine for you. It has good weapons. Past the graveyard is too early.

Ah ok that is where I am now, so maybe the Darkroot Garden is the best place to go then. Definitely going to the Graveyard to pick up items first though, to empty it for items :)

Mistel

Banned

Garden is right down the stairs next to Andre. Co-op makes bosses easier as there is more of you but makes them stronger themselves.

You can go to the catacombs if you want but a divine weapon would be helpful.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
After beating the game around 6 times, it has become so clear how much better the first half of the game is than the second half, peaking with Anor Londo and O&S.

Overdoziz

Banned
Personally I wouldn't summon at all on the first playthrough. I did the same (partly because I didn't know you could :p) and it really makes the fights a lot more satisfying to win.

Morfeo

I went to the graveyard and got raped lol. At least I managed to grab some items!

Guess that is it for tonight, but I am really looking forward to the next step in either the Catacombs, Garden or Blighttown tomorrow. I live and breath this game now :)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Personally I wouldn't summon at all on the first playthrough. I did the same (partly because I didn't know you could :p) and it really makes the fights a lot more satisfying to win.

A good way to try out coop without breezing through bosses is to help others out with them.

Morfeo

After beating the game around 6 times, it has become so clear how much better the first half of the game is than the second half, peaking with Anor Londo and O&S.

This is sad to hear, as I actually find the game a bit worse than Demons Souls so far. How far am I in the game when I just ringed the first bell? About 25%?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This is sad to hear, as I actually find the game a bit worse than Demons Souls so far. How far am I in the game when I just ringed the first bell? About 25%?

10-15% more like. The game keeps getting better and better until the point I mentioned. After that it dips a bit in my opinion.

Overdoziz

Banned
Make sure to do the DLC after Anor Londo (and before the end). It has the best boss battles in Dark Souls and can really make up for the relatively lackluster second half of the game.

Morfeo

No where near that far through the game.

10-15% more like. The game keeps getting better and better until the point I mentioned. After that it dips a bit in my opinion.

Awesome to hear!

Make sure to do the DLC after Anor Londo (and before the end). It has the best boss battles in Dark Souls and can really make up for the relatively lackluster second half of the game.

I have the Prepare to Die Edition where that is included, so I will definitely do that!

Edit: Btw, I really like the Dark Souls community here, very welcome and willing to help out a n00b like myself. Makes it fun to progress through the game and write about it here at the same time!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

The dlc bosses are definitely top tier but the level design is kind of a bore.

Overdoziz

Banned
The dlc bosses are definitely top tier but the level design is kind of a bore.
I think aside from the Undead Burg and the surrounding areas nothing really stands out as great level design to be honest.
Edit: Btw, I really like the Dark Souls community here, very welcome and willing to help out a n00b like myself. Makes it fun to progress through the game and write about it here at the same time!
Dark Souls is pretty unique in that there's been (as far as I know) quite a steady flow of newcomers even this long after launch. Keeps the thread from becoming an insular circlejerk like some other communities (even on GAF).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think aside from the Undead Burg and the surrounding areas nothing really stands out as great level design to be honest.

Dark Souls is pretty unique in that there's been (as far as I know) quite a steady flow of newcomers even this long after launch. Keeps the thread from becoming an insular circlejerk like some other communities (even on GAF).

I disagree, though Undead Burg is undoubtedly the peak of level design, Anor Londo, Sens Fortress (aside from the swinging blades) and New Londo are pretty darn good level design.

Overdoziz

Banned
I loved how interconnect the initial area is, but the other areas in the game just disappoint in that regard. Anor Londo maybe less so, but it's still pretty linear. In the beginning of the game there are several moments where you discover that certain areas that seem so far away from each other are actually connected in multiple ways. Those moments were awesome, but as the game goes on this happens less and less which was disappointing.

sikkinixx

Finally beat the game! Crushed through Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and New Londo ruins with little difficulty. The only challenge was the Firesage Demon... fucker killed me 5 times before I realized you just charge at him and he does the ass-drop over and over and over. Bed of Chaos was a 3-time affair because the jerk knocked me into the hole.

New Londo I did in one life and didn't find the bonfire there (is there one?) and went into the Four Kings with only 3 Estus charges. Put on Havel's set and fucking WRECKED them, easiest boss of the game by far (though it was the very last one I did so...)

Gwyn was easy too with Solaire. I countered him on the initial jump to do an obscene amount of damage and he kept running after Solaire so I just ran after them, two-handing him to death. Super simple.

Soul level 101 and onto NG+ I guess? Should have kindled all the bonfires, farmed for some titanite chunks etc. Oh well.

Finally beat the game! Crushed through Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and New Londo ruins with little difficulty. The only challenge was the Firesage Demon... fucker killed me 5 times before I realized you just charge at him and he does the ass-drop over and over and over. Bed of Chaos was a 3-time affair because the jerk knocked me into the hole.

New Londo I did in one life and didn't find the bonfire there (is there one?) and went into the Four Kings with only 3 Estus charges. Put on Havel's set and fucking WRECKED them, easiest boss of the game by far (though it was the very last one I did so...)

Gwyn was easy too with Solaire. I countered him on the initial jump to do an obscene amount of damage and he kept running after Solaire so I just ran after them, two-handing him to death. Super simple.

Soul level 101 and onto NG+ I guess? Should have kindled all the bonfires, farmed for some titanite chunks etc. Oh well.

Go fight Four Kings in ng+ and then tell us if you still think it's the easiest boss in the game ;)

I've made it all the way to Tomb of the Giants very calmly and am trying to remain that way. In short, it's dark as shit and I have no idea if I have a torch and how to use it if I do. Enemies everywhere and it's impossible to get through here without a light source. If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I can't find anything on the internet because all that comes up is DSII. It's starting to get pretty warm in here.

I've made it all the way to Tomb of the Giants very calmly and am trying to remain that way. In short, it's dark as shit and I have no idea if I have a torch and how to use it if I do. Enemies everywhere and it's impossible to get through here without a light source. If someone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I can't find anything on the internet because all that comes up is DSII. It's starting to get pretty warm in here.

Busy filling estus for Storm.

There are two early light sources like the light spell for sorcerers and the necromancers before that area can drop a skull lantern.

You should run into Patches down there. After talking to him you should find an item nearby that will help light things up.

Busy filling estus for Storm.

There are two early light sources like the light spell for sorcerers and the necromancers before that area can drop a skull lantern.

You should run into Patches down there. After talking to him you should find an item nearby that will help light things up.
Thanks I appreciate it guys. I finally ran into an actual DS1 tutorial on youtube. I made it to the second bonfire but I don't know man, I'm probably gonna call it quits. It's rare that I do it but I don't have time for this BS. I'm level 39 with the Drake sword (I levels up the claymore to +5 but just as weak) and reading people finishing the game at level 80. I've made it this far without any outside help but that has probably hurt me too as I still have no clue what I'm doing and it just isn't fun.

Thanks I appreciate it guys. I finally ran into an actual DS1 tutorial on youtube. I made it to the second bonfire but I don't know man, I'm probably gonna call it quits. It's rare that I do it but I don't have time for this BS. I'm level 39 with the Drake sword (I levels up the claymore to +5 but just as weak) and reading people finishing the game at level 80. I've made it this far without any outside help but that has probably hurt me too as I still have no clue what I'm doing and it just isn't fun.

Read the items description, read everything description also read carefuly the npcs sugestions about where to go.

Top Bottom