• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
... I made it to the second bonfire but I don't know man, I'm probably gonna call it quits. It's rare that I do it but I don't have time for this BS. I'm level 39 with the Drake sword (I levels up the claymore to +5 but just as weak) and ...

Second bonfire!, wow.

You either had luck or patience or some sort of dedication on your side to reach to that location, I still dread going down there against the denizens of that place.

Also the Drake sword starts to show out its diminishing returns as enemies get more defense later on, you'll need a better weapon with higher base damage or one which scales with stats and upgraded a bit more.

May be you should leave this area, to be cleared out some other time when are better prepared.

Joei

Soul level 101 and onto NG+ I guess? Should have kindled all the bonfires, farmed for some titanite chunks etc. Oh well.

I forget since it's been a while since I beat the game, and I'm playing on a new character now, but does kindling all the bonfires to 20+ Estus carry over? I'm about to beat the game on a new character (only have 4K and Gwyn left). I'm going to all the necessary farming after killing 4K.

You can get a falchion later but it's a worthless weapon. Yep a claymore is a great weapon couple that with the balder knight shield you just got. You have gear that weapon wise can take you to the end game.

Oh my goodness, I just +14'd the Balder shield... I did not realize how good that shield is. I would have been using it for a lot longer had I known the stability it has for the low weight it carries. And Claymore is awesome. I really don't like the STR based weapons, except Black Knight Sword, and use Claymore when I want a low weight, decent damage dealing weapon.

Second bonfire!, wow.

You either had luck or patience or some sort of dedication on your side to reach to that location, I still dread going down there against the denizens of that place.

Also the Drake sword starts to show out its diminishing returns as enemies get more defense later on, you'll need a better weapon with higher base damage or one which scales with stats and upgraded a bit more.

May be you should leave this area, to be cleared out some other time when are better prepared.
I feel it's a combination of all of them. I even managed to kill a good amount of the enemies down there but I lost all my souls right before I was about to reach level 40 and now I'm back to zero souls.

It's just gotten too difficult too fast with the catacombs and the skeletons constantly returning because I don't have a divine weapon. I can't use the better weapons because I'm not strong enough even though I focus on strength and stamina. I've been lv 39 since the start of the catacombs. Now I'm in an even more ridiculous place. I'll try to find a way out and do as you suggest, I guess.

I feel it's a combination of all of them. I even managed to kill a good amount of the enemies down there but I lost all my souls right before I was about to reach level 40 and now I'm back to zero souls.

It's just gotten too difficult too fast with the catacombs and the skeletons constantly returning because I don't have a divine weapon. I can't use the better weapons because I'm not strong enough even though I focus on strength and stamina. I've been lv 39 since the start of the catacombs. Now I'm in an even more ridiculous place. I'll try to find a way out and do as you suggest, I guess.
It sounds like you went the wrong way. Although it's relatively openended, it's not completely open world and you can end up in areas you don't want to be in yet. You're using the Drake Sword, I'm assuming you've rang the first bell (Gargoyles) but not the second? And then went down to the Catacombs. If all this is so and you haven't defeated the boss of A
nor
L
ondo
yet, you are going to get STUCK in Tomb of Giants with no way forward and you will have to backtrack to Firelink Shrine.

If you have defeated the boss of AL, then you're not stuck down there just woefully underpowered. Drake Sword is T-R-A-S-H, tee arrr ayy ess aych TRASH. It will see you through the first couple of areas of the game OK but it is soon outclassed - and certainly not suitable for Tomb of Giants.

My advice is to get out of TotG and carry on in another direction. Let us know what areas you've completed or been to and we'll give a hint at where is more suitable to go - you probably already have a mental list of locked doors and unexplored paths you could try instead - key descriptions are always useful, sometimes you pick them up and go on your way and forget about them. :)

Mistel

Banned
Gaping_Dragon.png
That's a whole lot of estus to fill
Oh my goodness, I just +14'd the Balder shield... I did not realize how good that shield is. I would have been using it for a lot longer had I known the stability it has for the low weight it carries. And Claymore is awesome.
It's a nice shield especially since you get it so early you can have it right through the game. Plus it doesn't use twinkling titanite to upgrade.

There is nothing about that sentence I don't love!
87104-Emma-Stone-thumbs-up-gif-smirk-NMYh.gif

It sounds like you went the wrong way. Although it's relatively openended, it's not completely open world and you can end up in areas you don't want to be in yet. You're using the Drake Sword, I'm assuming you've rang the first bell (Gargoyles) but not the second? And then went down to the Catacombs. If all this is so and you haven't defeated the boss of A
nor
L
ondo
yet, you are going to get STUCK in Tomb of Giants with no way forward and you will have to backtrack to Firelink Shrine.

If you have defeated the boss of AL, then you're not stuck down there just woefully underpowered. Drake Sword is T-R-A-S-H, tee arrr ayy ess aych TRASH. It will see you through the first couple of areas of the game OK but it is soon outclassed - and certainly not suitable for Tomb of Giants.

My advice is to get out of TotG and carry on in another direction. Let us know what areas you've completed or been to and we'll give a hint at where is more suitable to go - you probably already have a mental list of locked doors and unexplored paths you could try instead - key descriptions are always useful, sometimes you pick them up and go on your way and forget about them. :)
Huge encouragement, thank you. I don't see a way back up but at least I know that I shouldn't be going down. I don't remember if I've rang the second bell but I don't think that I have. When I get as far down as I can go in the TotG there is an orange light in a cave entrance on a cliffside that says something like "a magical power blocks your way in", so I've obviously missed something. There has to be a way back up so I'll try and find it when I get home later today. This game is crazy.

Mistel

Banned
Huge encouragement, thank you. I don't see a way back up but at least I know that I shouldn't be going down. I don't remember if I've rang the second bell but I don't think that I have. When I get as far down as I can go in the TotG there is an orange light in a cave entrance on a cliffside that says something like "a magical power blocks your way in", so I've obviously missed something. There has to be a way back up so I'll try and find it when I get home later today. This game is crazy.
Well enjoy your trek back you're not getting through that barrier till you go the right way. But ditch the drake sword and do yourself a favor. But look on the bright side your second trip will take half as long plus you've got the rite of kindling already.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Oh man Octave. If you made it through to (nearly) the end of Tomb of the Giants at <SL40 and this early in your first play through, you are gonna be ballin' when you actually get back topside. Sounds like you have all the skill you need to succeed if you can make it through that bastard area without tons of light or buffs. Just ditch the drake sword and you'll be set.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh about the Drake Sword. I actually did a run with it once because of the "it's trash!" meme to see for myself if it was as bad as everyone says (despite a huge amount of first time players using it) - and if you use the dragon scales you find along the way, it can actually see you through the first half of the game - but then so will a +5 weapon and you can upgrade further than that a lot earlier than half way. Drake Sword has no stat scaling, so that's why it soon becomes obsolete, if you are leveling up appropriate to your weapon it soon becomes outclassed.

The way back up is around the corner/up/behind from the first bonfire, if you made it down to the second bonfire this early, I don't think it will be too much trouble dealing with a few giant skellies that block your way, good luck! :)

AkuMifune

Banned
Hope I didn't sound too harsh about the Drake Sword. I actually did a run with it once because of the "it's trash!" meme to see for myself if it was as bad as everyone says (despite a huge amount of first time players using it) - and if you use the dragon scales you find along the way, it can actually see you through the first half of the game - but then so will a +5 weapon and you can upgrade further than that a lot earlier than half way. Drake Sword has no stat scaling, so that's why it soon becomes obsolete, if you are leveling up appropriate to your weapon it soon becomes outclassed.

The way back up is around the corner/up/behind from the first bonfire, if you made it down to the second bonfire this early, I don't think it will be too much trouble dealing with a few giant skellies that block your way, good luck! :)

Yeah, I had mine at +5 on my first run before I understood how much damage comes from scaling. I was lucky enough to switch from Drake to Black Knight Halberd near the end of that run and it was eye opening. I was still trying to use Drake sword when it took 10 hits to kill something I could drop in one or two swings of the halberd.

Finished my final run last night. Glad I got to see all of the DLC stuff, it was rad.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Anyways, I managed to beat them on about my fifth try. Was hard, but very satisfying. Also got the tail of one of the Gargoyles, which unfortunately doesnt seem to be that great of a weapon.

Anyways, the figth actually wasnt that hard (way easier than the Maneater-fight in Demons Souls). The attacks could easily be blocked, and was very easy to spot, meaning that you should never really loose any health from the normal attacks. I tended to be confused when the Gargoyle flied, but then just started to stand completely still when he was in the air. This also resulted in him landing very close to me, giving me a good spot to get in a few strikes after blocking his attack. Stuff got way harder when the other guy arrived, but I was a bit lucky, and managed to corner and finish off the first one almost immidiately. Then the second one was a joke as his fire was way to slow on its own to be of any danger.

Awesome fight, and the first Bell is now ringing! Any ideas on where to go now? I was thinking about trying to kill the dragon in Undead Borg, but that might still be a bit early. I guess its down to Blighttown then?

Edit: Kind of sucks that I didnt know about the summon-stuff, as it would have been fun to see them in the fight. Would probably made it a bit too easy though.

Congrats on ringing that bell! We're in about the same neighborhood, so to speak. I just recently rang the Undead Parish bell, and have been spending some time cleaning up the Parish and extending my "comfort zone".

Before heading to that boss fight with the church gargoyles, I had used humanity to kindle the Parish bonfire. So I ended up at the bell tower in human form. I didn't know much about summomning NPCs. But I could. So I did. And it really made the fight easy, too easy, beat it on the first try.

Anyway, since then, I killed the Parish Black Knight in anticlimactic fashion. I actually haven't found the way to Blighttown yet. So I was figuring on heading to Darkroot Garden, since I dispatched the Titanite Demon.

sikkinixx

I forget since it's been a while since I beat the game, and I'm playing on a new character now, but does kindling all the bonfires to 20+ Estus carry over? I'm about to beat the game on a new character (only have 4K and Gwyn left). I'm going to all the necessary farming after killing 4K.

Yeah they do carry over, though you lose the Rite of Kindling (easy to get again right away though if need be). You also lose all the embers which is a fucking STUPID ass decision. Experimenting with anything other than my +10 Divine Claymore won't happen because I go from ~550 damage to sub 400 until I find the Large Divine Ember etc again.

NG+ isn't bad so far, mowing through to Blightown in record time. Dudes still die real fast but the damage even shitty little enemies do is insane. I just hit 50 Faith so I can use the Gywn Lightning Bolt miracle, which destroys everything and knocks them back, so now I guess pile points in STR (only at 16) and Vitality (only at 30). Having killed all the Fire Keepers was nice since I have +7 Estus and Great Heal so I get a cool 23 heals.

789shadow

Banned
Do the Balder Knights in the Undead Parish even drop the Balder Shield? DROP. DROP. I might just get a Kite shield until I can buy it from the Sen's Merchant.

Anyone have any advice for the boss of Painted World? I got absolutely torn apart by bleed last night in three hits.

Move over to the side that is more snow covered, keep shield raised, and watch the footsteps in the snow. When they stop, run around behind, two hand your weapon and attack.

Do the Balder Knights in the Undead Parish even drop the Balder Shield? DROP. DROP. I might just get a Kite shield until I can buy it from the Sen's Merchant.
Yes, they can drop the Balder Shield.

Anyone have any advice for the boss of Painted World? I got absolutely torn apart by bleed last night in three hits.

Need more data, which class are you using? casters makes her ready for a bbq.

Invisible strat
Keep your distance and watch out of her footprints. try to attack her when you her she missed a hit and repeat.

Fluffly tail

Always stay on her right side and try to attack her tail, she often spends more time trying to not get her tail hurt rather than kill you

A good any man way to kill her using pyro is to hit her as hard as you can and then as she disappears run up the stairs, wait a short while, blocking if you like, and then hurl fireballs towards the archway until she appears, it's bound to hit her as the archway means that is the only way she can come towards you.

If you're a miracle user you can also use Vow of Silence - hit her, I usually use a knife or arrow from just inside the fog door and then immediately cast the miracle, she goes invisible but you can see the purple hex ring pattern around her, so you always know where she is. IIRC you can also poison her for the same reason - you see the purple cloud/HP drain.

Pure melee, equip the bloodbite ring and bloodshield so the bleed build up from her sythe isn't so nasty.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Congrats on ringing that bell! We're in about the same neighborhood, so to speak. I just recently rang the Undead Parish bell, and have been spending some time cleaning up the Parish and extending my "comfort zone".

Before heading to that boss fight with the church gargoyles, I had used humanity to kindle the Parish bonfire. So I ended up at the bell tower in human form. I didn't know much about summomning NPCs. But I could. So I did. And it really made the fight easy, too easy, beat it on the first try.

Anyway, since then, I killed the Parish Black Knight in anticlimactic fashion. I actually haven't found the way to Blighttown yet. So I was figuring on heading to Darkroot Garden, since I dispatched the Titanite Demon.

Thanks! Glad I didnt summon then if it was so easy with help, the point of this game is to struggle a ton and then succed, so i dont think it would have been as satisfying that way.

Ive actually went back to the bridge to try to kill the dragon and get the claymore tonight, and so far has had not much luck with it. Maybe I should just go Darkroot Garden as well to follow your plan?

Mistel

Banned
Ive actually went back to the bridge to try to kill the dragon and get the claymore tonight, and so far has had not much luck with it. Maybe I should just go Darkroot Garden as well to follow your plan?
If you've got 20000 souls you can buy the crest that opens the door in the garden and go kill Sif.

Ok so I went through and beat the game without going through the DLC...I'm on NG+, is there any way I can just run through and get to the DLC without having to backtrack through the game again?

Mistel

Banned
Ok so I went through and beat the game without going through the DLC...I'm on NG+, is there any way I can just run through and get to the DLC without having to backtrack through the game again?
No. You need to have access to dukes archives to start the DLC.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there an issue with the official xbox 360 controller and PC version of Dark Souls w/ DSfix installed? The game is completely unresponsive to my wireless 360 pad w/ official adapter.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
If you've got 20000 souls you can buy the crest that opens the door in the garden and go kill Sif.

I dont really understand what this means, but I guess it kind of encourages me to go to the garden, so I will probably go there. Tomorrow it is though, as I spent todays gaming time to try and try and try to beat the dragon on the bridge. Finally made it and got the Claymore!

The Dragon was actually really easy when I finally learned all the tricks. First of all, it took me way too long time to figure out that he turning around actually meant he was preparing to fly to the other side (and thus being a sign that I needed to get back down). Secondly, I found there was actually a blind spot in its fire just at the side of its foot, which made its most dangerous attack completely avoidable. This took me forever to find out though, as I always started to panick when it breathed fire in that way, and thus got hit. With this knowledge I managed to beat it without taking damage at all, which felt good. Guess that completes my buisness here in Undead Borg/Parish for now!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there an issue with the official xbox 360 controller and PC version of Dark Souls w/ DSfix installed? The game is completely unresponsive to my wireless 360 pad w/ official adapter.

The game only recognizes the first game controller you have connected. So if you have multiple controllers connected, a Wii Remote connected, a bluetooth receiver that at some point connected to a game controller, it won't read your 360 controller inputs at all.

I saved Sif, but can't find his summon sign in the boss arena. Manus is roughing me up badly. Is the summon that helpful or does it just make him have 4x as much hp?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The game only recognizes the first game controller you have connected. So if you have multiple controllers connected, a Wii Remote connected, a bluetooth receiver that at some point connected to a game controller, it won't read your 360 controller inputs at all.

Thanks. Will check devices next.

Panda Rin

having a hard time getting humanity...

I got to Ornstein, ran out of humanity, and went back to the depths to farm the rats...they haven't dropped anything in about 10 runs. am i doing something wrong or is there another location to farm humanity?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
having a hard time getting humanity...

I got to Ornstein, ran out of humanity, and went back to the depths to farm the rats...they haven't dropped anything in about 10 runs. am i doing something wrong or is there another location to farm humanity?
That's pretty much the best spot for where you are in the game. Make sure you are wearing the gold serpent ring.

kionedrik

I saved Sif, but can't find his summon sign in the boss arena. Manus is roughing me up badly. Is the summon that helpful or does it just make him have 4x as much hp?

The summon sign is inside the boss arena. It's hard to see because of the terrain, but when you enter the battle if you walk a little to the right you will get the pop-up. It's near Manus' grave.

He is not that helpful appart from removing some of the aggro from yourself so you can heal or cast spells. He has a lot of HP so he can tank a lot of damage and he can actually do some damage, not a lot though.

Top Bottom