• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I didnt really get to play that much, but here is a little update and some questions.

I managed to beat the first boss in the tutorial, which as I guess was hinted at here, actually was much easier than he looked. I was sure he was meant as a repeat of the tutorial boss in Demons Souls, which is almost impossible to kill on your first playthrough, but this guy was actually way easier since he was so slow. Nice!

However, i then got transported away from the Asylum by a bird-thing, and I wonder, is there a way to ever get back? There was one door behind the knight that I didnt manage to open, would suck to be looked out of whatever stuff that is found there for the rest of the game.

Also, my first death came at the graveyard lol. I tried to stay away like the hint on last page said, but then I fell into a dark room with some chests and then it seemed I had to go through there to get away, which was of course enough to get me surrounded by a few skeletons. Dead.

Anyways, I guess I have two choices of where to go now, either up or down, and I am thinking about starting with the upper path, hopefully that works fine. However, should I do something with the bird? Can I kill it and get sweet loot? Also, a guy asked me to change to his covenant, what did that mean? I assume it was to learn miracles, but what doors will I close by accepting?

Will probably have more questions later, but I guess this will do for now.

Mistel

Banned
So I didnt really get to play that much, but here is a little update and some questions.

Will probably have more questions later, but I guess this will do for now.
Some answers:
  • Don't kill the crow
  • You can go back by getting in it's nest
  • There's a key for that door in the shrine area but you need to explore other places to access it.
  • That will be joining the way of the white it's co-op oriented.
  • You can learn miracles without being in a covenant but not all
  • Go where ever you like but up is a good idea.
But well done for making it to Lordran.

Morfeo

Thanks a ton for the answers!

Another question. Should I use the soul-stones to get souls, or save them for later? In Demons Souls I think I ended up just using all the generic ones for souls, but it might be different here.

PirateKing

Just got DS for PC. What kind of mods should I use? I got the Prepare To Die edition if that changes anything. I heard it was a mess when it came out.

P.S I barely modded any PC games.

PirateKing

Awesome. Thanks guys. Anything else I need to look for? Also, hopefully the game recognises my console controller straight away without modding.

Edit: is the game 30fps locked or 60fps?

Morfeo

Yeah the Taurus Demon killed me easily. He actually looked pretty easy though, as I almost beat him on my first try. Seemed he couldnt hit me when I was very close, but unfortunately I didnt manage to keep that up, and eventually died. Looking forward to try again though.

Question time: What does Hollow mean? I see that mentioned alot in the messages. Also, what good does humanity do, and how does it work? And then there was the use of the stones as well.

Mistel

Banned
Question time: What does Hollow mean? I see that mentioned alot in the messages. Also, what good does humanity do, and how does it work? And then there was the use of the stones as well.
  • Hollow is when you're not human.
  • Reverse hollowing at a bonfire to become human, allowing multiplayer to occur in the form of co-op and invasions.
  • Prism stone are for determining height among other things.

Overdoziz

Banned
Awesome. Thanks guys. Anything else I need to look for? Also, hopefully the game recognises my console controller straight away without modding.

Edit: is the game 30fps locked or 60fps?
30fps without DSFix, 60fps with DSFix. The mod really is a must to play the game properly. It allows you to change resolution, increase fps, add AA, change DoF, all kinds of things you can't do in the game itself.
Also, out of the box the game practically only works with a controller so that shouldn't be an issue.

onionfrog

Also, when you are human you can Kindle a Bonfire. Kindling increases the number of estus flasks that the bonfire will refill when you rest at it.

Most Bonfires normally restore 5 estus flasks, if you kindle one it'll restore 10 estus flasks.

Later in the game you'll get an item that will let you kindle a bonfire further so that it'll restore more than 10 flasks.

---------------------------------------
On an unrelated note, I just beat Ornstein and Smough at Soul Level 1 on my second attempt. Pyromancy is too stong!
EDIT:
The Bed of Chaos is infuriating at SL1.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Hollow means you are not human. If you look at your character, you'll look basically like a walking dead guy. While you are hollow, you cannot participate in the online portion of the game; this means that you cannot summon players or NPCs to help you with fighting bosses, while on the plus side it means you won't get invaded by hostile players. When you turn yourself human, you can do all that stuff and also kindle bonfires, which means they refill your healing Estus Flask up with more juice.

How do you become human? With humanity.

So here's how humanity works. There are the humanity consumable items you hold in your inventory, and there's your actual character humanity which is shown by the big number in the top left hand corner of the screen. Humanity items in your inventory don't do anything. They're basically just being stored for later use. (These are usually called "hard" humanity.) When you use one of the humanity items, two things happen:
1. You get healed for a lot of health.
2. More importantly, your character humanity number goes up.

What does having humanity number ("soft" humanity) above zero do?
1. It increases your defense a little bit.
2. It increases your item find stat (up to 10 humanity)
3. It allows you to spend humanity at a bonfire.

At a bonfire you can make yourself human at a cost of one soft humanity. Once you are human, you can spend another soft humanity to kindle the bonfire.

You can get humanity (aka the "soft" usable kind) by using a humanity item in the inventory ("hard" humanity), by helping someone else defeat a boss, by defeating certain enemies in an area before the area's boss is defeated, and by doing PvP.

Note: If you see an NPC talking about a character "going hollow" from a plot/story perspective, it basically means that they have finally gone insane, as all Undead are apparently fated to do.

kionedrik

Just got DS for PC. What kind of mods should I use? I got the Prepare To Die edition if that changes anything. I heard it was a mess when it came out.

P.S I barely modded any PC games.

Go here. Basically, like others have said, DSFix is a must. Other than that give the high textures packs a try, some re-skins are also worth your while. DSCFix if you plan to co-op with friends.

The Bed of Chaos is infuriating at SL1.

Sadly, it is infuriating at any level.

Morfeo

Ok thanks alot for all the explanations on humanity, but to be honest I'm still not sure I understand it all. Just one more question, would you recommend for a complete n00b like myself to use the humanity items to gain some humanity when I get them, or should they be saved for some special occasion? Also, the soul-stones I guess can be consumed for souls like in Demons Souls right? Do they have other uses, or should I just spend them to gain levels?

Mistel

Banned
Ok thanks alot for all the explanations on humanity, but to be honest I'm still not sure I understand it all. Just one more question, would you recommend for a complete n00b like myself to use the humanity items to gain some humanity when I get them, or should they be saved for some special occasion? Also, the soul-stones I guess can be consumed for souls like in Demons Souls right? Do they have other uses, or should I just spend them to gain levels?
  • You can farm humanity in the depths later but don't use them straight away.
  • You can consume souls in your inventory yes.
  • Some boss souls make weapons so think before you consume a boss soul.

Morfeo

• You can farm humanity in the depths later but don't use them straight away.
  • You can consume souls in your inventory yes.
  • Some boss souls make weapons so think before you consume a boss soul.

Thanks. So the normal undead souls dont have any other uses? Then im definitely spending them all to raise some vit and dext I feel :)

Morfeo

Awesome and thanks again for the answers! I guess I could partially consult a wiki, but I like it better to just ask here. That Taurus Demon is definitely going down when I get home from work!

Dont use Boss souls and fire keepers souls to gain souls. Also you will find some NPC around your journey, talk to them till you repeat the last diaglo, they will start a side quest of their own

Morfeo

The Taurus Demon is dead, but I am not sure I have the courage to traverse that bridge with all my souls now. Why is there no bonfire here :(

Divius

The Taurus Demon is dead, but I am not sure I have the courage to traverse that bridge with all my souls now. Why is there no bonfire here :(
You could backtrack to the bonfire if you want to play it safe, or you could push on. There's a
shortcut
to the bonfire
on the bridge

Morfeo

Ok, for some reason, the dragon didnt attack me when I tried to traverse the bridge the second time, and I found what I guess is called the shortcut and was able to level up 8 times. Now I feel its time to kick some dragon (or black knight) ass!

Morfeo

Two comments: The Undead Parish destroys me, time to try to go somewhere else? And the frame rate on the PS3 is at times atrocious.

onionfrog

So, I just beat the Four Kings on my Soul Level 1 run. Any recommendations on how I should spend all these souls? I've got about 99,000 souls now and pretty much nothing to spend them on.

-My Armor is all upgraded to +9.
-I've got two upgraded hand axes, one fire +7 and one lightning +5.
-My pyromancy flame is already maxed out and ascended.

I guess I could go down to Quelana and buy some different pyromancies...
Although to be honest, great combustion and combustion seem to take care of everything. :p

Morfeo

Hmm you can try to go the catacombs but no.

I decided to farm for souls instead, got the ring that the black knight defended in Undead Borg, and bought a small bow, arrows, and the three unique items from the merchant in Undead Borg, so at least I made some progress. I also tried to kill the dragon with the bow, but that took forever, so I stopped it. Fun either way, and my character is improving even though I am not reaching new bonfires!

Morfeo

Yeah I have a ton of keys, also recently found a Mystery Key, and bought the Residence Key, so I guess I should be able to find more areas. Killed the Boar in Undead Parish at least. I didnt really dare to fight him as he looked pretty strong, but then I fell down and had to and he was a joke so that was nice. Havent found a new bonfire in Parish yet though, so thats my goal now.

Later in the game, are bonfires so much closer together or am I just more comfortable with the game? I felt I was coming across bonfires every 5 seconds in the Demon Ruins and the area that it leads to. Might just be me.

Anyway, I'm at the end game and I'm thinking about doing New Game Plus. Just wondering what you guys recommend to prepare for it. I'm currently in the Painted World and I think I have a ring that allows me into another optional area in Anor Londo. Should I start kindling up bonfires to get 15 or 20 flasks? Anything I really should do. I've killed a few NPC's so I may have locked myself out of certain items so I hope that doesn't affect me too much. I'll probably end up quitting NG+ by the time I get to Ornstein and Smough (fuckers) but I may as well prepare just in case

Mistel

Banned
Later in the game, are bonfires so much closer together or am I just more comfortable with the game? I felt I was coming across bonfires every 5 seconds in the Demon Ruins and the area that it leads to. Might just be me.

Anyway, I'm at the end game and I'm thinking about doing New Game Plus. Just wondering what you guys recommend to prepare for it. I'm currently in the Painted World and I think I have a ring that allows me into another optional area in Anor Londo. Should I start kindling up bonfires to get 15 or 20 flasks? Anything I really should do. I've killed a few NPC's so I may have locked myself out of certain items so I hope that doesn't affect me too much. I'll probably end up quitting NG+ by the time I get to Ornstein and Smough (fuckers) but I may as well prepare just in case
They are quite close the 4 in demon ruins but that's probably the only area like it in those terms.

New game plus checklist.

Morfeo

I killed the black knight in Undead Parish! Or rather he killed himself in the fire lol. Pretty disappointing that he wasnt guarding anything though :(

Mistel

Banned
i3NAGUYUCPWdE.gif

Evil. I like it very much so.

onionfrog

I'm having more trouble than I would have thought in the catacombs...
Bonewheel Skeletons are hell at SL1!
-------------------------
Looked up a shortcut to just bypass most of the catacombs and ran past the bonewheel skeletons.
Pinwheel himself died in 3 hits lol.

Now for the Tomb of The Giants! ;_;
-----------------------------------------
Any Tips for Gravelord Nito at Soul Level 1?
Nevermind! I killed those first 3 skeletons, then let Nito come towards me. Unloaded great combustions in his face. Nito himself managed to keep killing his own skeletons, which kept me from having to deal with them reviving during the fight.
I was down to very little health at the end, but figured i had enough time to get two regular combustions off to kill him before he could hit me again. It worked!

Just Duke's Archives and Gwyn left now!

Morfeo

I can get into the church relatively easily, but I mostly dies from the huge knights there. Why no bonfire :(

Morfeo

To the right...

OMG YES! I didnt even notice that way :) So glad to be finished with that long-ass road, too bad the church itself has been insta-kill for me so far. Guess I need to find a new fireplace or something for the knight in there :)

Edit: Btw that knight shield was extremely disappointing as its right now worse than my Hollow Shield. Hopefully it can be forget into something better later on.

Mistel

Banned
OMG YES! I didnt even notice that way :) So glad to be finished with that long-ass road, too bad the church itself has been insta-kill for me so far. Guess I need to find a new fireplace or something for the knight in there :)

Edit: Btw that knight shield was extremely disappointing as its right now worse than my Hollow Shield. Hopefully it can be forget into something better later on.
heavy-knight-sword.jpg

Your trying to kill the knight that looks like this aren't you?

As for your shield woes you can get the second highest stability shield from Balder Knights in that area.

Morfeo

heavy-knight-sword.jpg

Your trying to kill the knight that looks like this aren't you?

As for your shield woes you can get the second highest stability shield from Balder Knights in that area.

Yeah. The biggest problem so far have been that when Ive been coming there after fighting a few knights on the way, my estus flasks have been almost empty, I have been very stressed about having to redo everything, and I have not been patient enough. Will probably be easier now that I can respawn just outside.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah. The biggest problem so far have been that when Ive been coming there after fighting a few knights on the way, my estus flasks have been almost empty, I have been very stressed about having to redo everything, and I have not been patient enough. Will probably be easier now that I can respawn just outside.
It will be you can also now upgrade your weapons now with Andre. You can literally walk past the heavy knight it's quite harmless or you can kill it. But balder knight's will come and intervene if your not careful.

Have you got knight armor yet or are you still using the thief set you got at the beginning? Now that you can explore more areas you can get some nice equipment easily like knight armor and elite knight armor.

Morfeo

I saw the upgrade possibilities, but right now im using a pretty terrible longsword, and I wanted to find something better before I started upgrading. And yeah, outside of a Balder Helm and the Hollow Shield, im using the stuff I started with as thief. I have found stuff that have better physical defense, but also weights much more and give much worse resistance to fire and magic, so I have mainly kept the starting stuff.

Btw, I runned from the huge knight just now, and when I returned from the bonfire, he is now standing outside the parish where the two swordsmen and the archer is also. I think this might be benefital to me, as I will avoid fighting the other knights inside now, but I just need to get rid of those three zombies. Hmm. Interesting situations like this is what makes this game awesome :)

Edit: Almost killed him, I can definitely do this with some more concentration.

Mistel

Banned
I saw the upgrade possibilities, but right now im using a pretty terrible longsword, and I wanted to find something better before I started upgrading. And yeah, outside of a Balder Helm and the Hollow Shield, im using the stuff I started with as thief. I have found stuff that have better physical defense, but also weights much more and give much worse resistance to fire and magic, so I have mainly kept the starting stuff.
Nothing uses fire or magic at that point of the game other than the fire bombs so your burdening yourself. You can upgrade your endurance to use heavier equipment and heavier weapons. Pick up the claymore on the bridge with the dragon that's a weapon that can take you right to the end.

Morfeo

Nothing uses fire or magic at that point of the game other than the fire bombs so your burdening yourself. You can upgrade your endurance to use heavier equipment and heavier weapons. Pick up the claymore on the bridge with the dragon that's a weapon that can take you right to the end.

That is indeed a good point. One of the knights just dropped a shield, so I changed to that for the better stability at least. A claymore you say? Maybe I should backtrack. I ended up not traversing the bridge after all, since the dragon felt way to deadly, but maybe I could try to make a run for it. Well worth a try at least!

Edit: I really miss the Crescent Falchion from Demons Souls btw, I ended up beating the whole game with that weapon. :)

Morfeo

Haha, fuck you huge knight!

I got him out on the side of the church, and after a long fight that included a ton of Estus Flasks, I finally managed to kill him off. Lets hope he is gone for good :)

Mistel

Banned
That is indeed a good point. One of the knights just dropped a shield, so I changed to that for the better stability at least. A claymore you say? Maybe I should backtrack. I ended up not traversing the bridge after all, since the dragon felt way to deadly, but maybe I could try to make a run for it. Well worth a try at least!

Edit: I really miss the Crescent Falchion from Demons Souls btw, I ended up beating the whole game with that weapon. :)
You can get a falchion later but it's a worthless weapon. Yep a claymore is a great weapon couple that with the balder knight shield you just got. You have gear that weapon wise can take you to the end game.

Top Bottom