• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

onionfrog

Haha, fuck you huge knight!
Don't worry, he doesn't respawn.

Once you figure out what weapon you want to use, go ahead and upgrade that bad boy to +5. Either buy titanite shards from the blacksmith or farm them from the undead soldiers and balder knights.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, I want a sword that scales good with dexterity since I wanted to combine it with bow-use. Have been leveling strength a bit now though, so might go for another strategy that doesnt really involve use of bow as heavily as I did in Demons Souls. Thanks for all tips and answers! Had to stop playing for now, but looking forward to run for the Claymore and climb the Church tomorrow!

onionfrog

After about 15 tries and lots of swearing, Seath has been defeated.
I'm gonna go finish a few early game bosses that I skipped like the Gaping Dragon.
Then, off to Gwyn and my Soul Level 1 run will be complete!

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I want a sword that scales good with dexterity since I wanted to combine it with bow-use. Have been leveling strength a bit now though, so might go for another strategy that doesnt really involve use of bow as heavily as I did in Demons Souls. Thanks for all tips and answers! Had to stop playing for now, but looking forward to run for the Claymore and climb the Church tomorrow!
You don't have to abandon the bow just yet they are a nice complement to a melee character. You can even get a type of bow later that scales nicely with strength.
I love katanas, but they aren't as fast. My point wasn't that the falchion was better than the katanas, though, it was that the falchion was one of the better dex weapons, and it is.
Your point is based around using a miracle to increase the damage of your weapon not just the weapon itself like I was. Unless you can provide an example to support your stance with solely the weapon itself.

R1CHO

I think I have reached my skill ceiling.

I started a lvl 1 run, and Artorias is starting to drive me crazy... I am trying the fight nude, to be able to roll as much as I can, and using Fire Orb as attack.

I do 300 dmg with each Orb, so in theory if I land the 12 Orbs he would be almost dead. But 6-7 is my max so far before dying.

Any better plans?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Going from dex weapons themselves then changing to just curved sword is moving the goalposts isn't it?
No? Curved swords are very good dex weapons...? -_-

I think I have reached my skill ceiling.

I started a lvl 1 run, and Artorias is starting to drive me crazy... I am trying the fight nude, to be able to roll as much as I can, and using Fire Orb as attack.

I do 300 dmg with each Orb, so in theory if I land the 12 Orbs he would be almost dead. But 6-7 is my max so far before dying.

Any better plans?
Why nude? On my SL1 run I wore the Crown of Dusk and maxed out crimson robes. IIRC, I used Great Fireball and Fire Orbs, or maybe Great Combustion, and I didn't even run out of pyros. I used RoFaP and the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, and I could survive some of his hits. Got him on my second try. He really wasn't that hard.

Manus, on the other hand... Gahhhh.

R1CHO

I don't have that Robe, in fact I don't have any upgraded light armor, I have been playing with elite knight armor upgraded to +7 or something like that up until now...

I think i will keep trying, I need more patience :|

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't have that Robe, in fact I don't have any upgraded light armor, I have been playing with elite knight armor upgraded to +7 or something like that up until now...

I think i will keep trying, I need more patience :|
Light armour is best, you need that fast roll. You don't need poise for that fight (for normal mobs it's useful but you can just wear the wolf ring), it wouldn't really help anyway. That robe is upgraded with twinkling, since you're SL 1 you should have plenty of souls to buy them from the Giant blacksmith.

I would also suggest an upgraded Heater Shield for emergency blocking (or grass crest shield for stam regen, but pyros don't use stamina in this game) though of course it's better to dodge.

R1CHO

Light armour is best, you need that fast roll. You don't need poise for that fight (for normal mobs it's useful but you can just wear the wolf ring), it wouldn't really help anyway. That robe is upgraded with twinkling, since you're SL 1 you should have plenty of souls to buy them from the Giant blacksmith.

I would also suggest an upgraded Heater Shield for emergency blocking (or grass crest shield for stam regen, but pyros don't use stamina in this game) though of course it's better to dodge.

Thanks for the advice mate :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No prob, good luck. I personally had way more trouble with Manus. Ran out of pyro casts for solid damage and when he starts spamming that dark magic... gah. One mistake and it's all over. Ironically, a light crossbow+10 with heavy bolts helped somewhat (ditto with Kalameet), I kited them a lot. Also I'd suggest buying as many green blossoms as you can.

impact

Banned

Murakumo is all you need.

Best weapon in the series.

Frologic

So I'm nearly at the end of the game and I just realized that I can use humanity to get more estus flasks. I've been using 5 the whole time. There's probably a huge list of dumb things I've been doing for my first playthrough, oh well. Time for the four kings! :(

Mistel

Banned
Aaaand I just beat the four kings. There's no way I could have done it that quickly if I didn't know about carrying 20+ flasks. I used 18 for the fight and just relentlessly attacked them in havelmode.
That'a the fun way to do it I did it in maxed out black iron armor myself with a maxed out man serpent sword.

Levyne

Banned
That's pretty much how I beat Four Kings. Lots of poise, Iron Flesh and the spell that drains health do you do more damage, and lots of Estus, haha

onionfrog

My Soul Level One run is complete!
image.jpeg

After 50 or so unsuccessful attempts I was able to take him down. My last attempt against Gwyn was the damnedest thing. Every single time I hit him with Great Combustion he would jump away to the side. I roasted the shit out of him and he didn't hit back once!

Praise the Sun!
I'm ready for Dark Souls 2's PC release this upcoming week!
:D

Frologic

image.jpeg

After 50 or so unsuccessful attempts I was able to take him down. My last attempt against Gwyn was the damnedest thing. Every single time I hit him with Great Combustion he would jump away to the side. I roasted the shit out of him and he didn't hit back once!

Praise the Sun!

Wow awesome job! Congrats

789shadow

Banned
Well, I now have the HANKERING to play this again. Gonna rock a Halberd this time.

Someone mentioned a bow that scales with strength above. Which bow is that? I really only plan to use bows to lure out some particularly annoying enemies (lightning gargoyles right before Silver Knight Archers can suck balls).

Mistel

Banned
Someone mentioned a bow that scales with strength above. Which bow is that? I really only plan to use bows to lure out some particularly annoying enemies (lightning gargoyles right before Silver Knight Archers can suck balls).
Greatbows scale nicely with strength especially the better of the pair Gough's. But till you get that I suggest the composite bow from the new londo ruins.

image.jpeg

Praise the Sun!

You are ready for N8 lvl 1 nude runs.

onionfrog

Wow awesome job! Congrats
Thanks.
That was frustrating, I don't think I'd like to do it again ever...
I'm sure I'll end up doing one for Dark Souls 2 eventually.
You are ready for N8 lvl 1 nude runs.
What exactly is that? Obviously no armor, but what's N8? I don't even think I could stand SL1 with no armor.

I kinda feel like doing a Fist weapon only run eventually.
I told myself I was going to stop playing this game, atleast until Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC.
....But I might have to load up the Strength character I was working on and keep playing! lol
:p

What exactly is that? Obviously no armor, but what's N8? I don't even think I could stand SL1 with no armor.

I kinda feel like doing a Fist weapon only run eventually.
I told myself I was going to stop playing this game, atleast until Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC.
....But I might have to load up the Strength character I was working on and keep playing! lol
:p

N++++++++

AkuMifune

Banned
Just entering the kiln, haven't died since sens fortress. Black iron armor and great shield of artorius, black knight halberd at 50% equip. Even beat gravelord and seath without taking a hit. So badass.

But you sl lvl 1 people are gods. That's like a whole different game.

My DS2 run on ps3 was a mess. Can't wait to roll right into DS2 PC. Steam achievements! Rad. Then maybe back to demons souls. I'm at the point where other games feel like baby games. Halp.

Drinking. Will probably die tonight. Lulz.

onionfrog

N++++++++
Definitely not for me lol.
Fuck are you doin blocking Gwyn?

Parry that asshole.
The consequences for fucking up your parry timing at Soul Level 1 are much worse.
I couldn't afford to take a hit!

For a normal run Gywn is cake.
Block, parry the second hit, riposte-> repeat

But you sl lvl 1 people are gods. That's like a whole different game.
It was a rush, almost like playing the game for the first time again! All the tension, all the uncertainty, none of the soul levels.

Jamesways

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind.

Hahah!

Fire weapons, really help against the toxic dudes.

Just beat NG++ today. Gwyn, no problem. Manus and Kalameet, good lord. Not sure I could beat them on the next NG pluses.

Started DS2. Feels... different. Not sure I'm into it completely yet.

Beat Gwyn. Wasn't too troubled by him even though I was not brave enough to parry. I was just running around in circles waiting for him to either go for a grab or a kick and then thrust the shit out of him. I feel I was fairly over leveled throughout the back half of the game except for the Four Kings. On to New Game Plus :D

I'm sure this has been said long before, but the squiddies in the Duke's prison are exceptionally creepy, especially after reading about them online.

Just outside the giant cell, there are those two that don't attack you... I remember hearing the voice of a woman sobbing down there, and I figured it was from one of the inaccessible cells. finding out that the squid-thangs
used to be human women that Seath the Scaleless experimented on
creeps me out. That the game lets you piece together that
the two squiddies that don't attack you are some incomplete/failed experiments that still have some human consciousness left
adds to the creepiness.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm sure this has been said long before, but the squiddies in the Duke's prison are exceptionally creepy, especially after reading about them online.

Just outside the giant cell, there are those two that don't attack you... I remember hearing the voice of a woman sobbing down there, and I figured it was from one of the inaccessible cells. finding out that the squid-thangs
used to be human women that Seath the Scaleless experimented on
creeps me out. That the game lets you piece together that
the two squiddies that don't attack you are some incomplete/failed experiments that still have some human consciousness left
adds to the creepiness.
They drop miracles too...

And I wonder what ever happened to that girl in the Undead Parish? Even if Petrus is dead, by the time you are imprisoned in Duke's, she's disappeared...

Top Bottom