• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I was surprised I went into hard places first and never visited the lower part of the undead burg and the depths on my first run.

Getting back of the catacombs on lvl 12 was really frustating.

I think this is probably the ultimate way to experience the game, however, it is also probably the most frustrating and lengthy, which im not sure if completely to my liking. What I love about the game is conquering hard encounters, finding the right strategy etc, not really guessing where I am supposed to go next, which is probably why I tend to ask for some advice here. Also, I find it fun just to talk with the game with people in this nice community, so that is of course a factor as well :)

misho8723

Banned
OK, can someone please help with this?.. i'm in Anor Londo, and right now i should go fighting the Double boss battle, but i have no humanity and i just can't fight that fight just by myself.. and the enemies in Anor Londo don't drop any humanity, so i would like to know where should i go to find me some humanity.. i really need it so badly :(

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
OK, can someone please help with this?.. i'm in Anor Londo, and right now i should go fighting the Double boss battle, but i have no humanity and i just can't fight that fight just by myself.. and the enemies in Anor Londo don't drop any humanity, so i would like to know where should i go to find me some humanity.. i really need it so badly :(

Do some co-op.

Frologic

1cxwdNq.png
Hurray! Almost 70 hours later and 4 months on and off and I finally did it. Thanks for the tips dsgaf. New game+ is a blast to run through.

kionedrik

The painting guardians (the guys in white in the building near the rotating staircase) have humanity value, so if you kill enough of them you can get some soft humanity. Apart from that do some co-op.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
The painting guardians (the guys in white in the building near the rotating staircase) have humanity value, so if you kill enough of them you can get some soft humanity. Apart from that do some co-op.

The Painting Guardians do not give any humanity explicitly (adds them to the counter nor drop an humanity item), but killing around 15+ of them starts adding humanity to the counter on the HUD.

Just do co-op (its better).

Co-op, or farm the rats in the Depths - sounds a million miles away but it's not really. There are at least a couple of ways to get from top to bottom in Sen's in a few seconds.

You just run past everything till you get to the Depths.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Thanks! Glad I didnt summon then if it was so easy with help, the point of this game is to struggle a ton and then succed, so i dont think it would have been as satisfying that way.

Ive actually went back to the bridge to try to kill the dragon and get the claymore tonight, and so far has had not much luck with it. Maybe I should just go Darkroot Garden as well to follow your plan?

lol, well it was not so much a plan or recommendation. I decided to enter the Darkroot Garden because it was right by Andre and a bonfire. And the Titanite Demon was quite beatable, so seemed like a place to go. Not to mention, haven't found the entrance to the Depths yet. And hearing you mention it, not sure I have been to lower part of Undead Burg yet. I know less than you! I'm just winging it, and sharing a little bit of my progress. Because the game is so fun, and when I accomplish something, (however trivial it likely seems to the veteran players here), I get pretty excited. lol

Morfeo

lol, well it was not so much a plan or recommendation. I decided to enter the Darkroot Garden because it was right by Andre and a bonfire. And the Titanite Demon was quite beatable, so seemed like a place to go. Not to mention, haven't found the entrance to the Depths yet. And hearing you mention it, not sure I have been to lower part of Undead Burg yet. I know less than you! I'm just winging it, and sharing a little bit of my progress. Because the game is so fun, and when I accomplish something, (however trivial it likely seems to the veteran players here), I get pretty excited. lol

Yeah I feel the same way! I beat the Titanite Demon and entered the gardens a bit yesterday, and it seemed quite beatable, so for now I am going there as well, so we will hopefully have more to talk about :) Definitely have the same feeling where I want to share every little bit of progress I have, even though its probably incredibly trivial for the veteran players here.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Yeah I feel the same way! I beat the Titanite Demon and entered the gardens a bit yesterday, and it seemed quite beatable, so for now I am going there as well, so we will hopefully have more to talk about :) Definitely have the same feeling where I want to share every little bit of progress I have, even though its probably incredibly trivial for the veteran players here.
Well to share my latest failure, in the Garden there was a corpse in a clearing. Obviously a trap. And those foliage monsters popped up and killed me. Had some type of grab attack. Thought, "huh, that's a new one." So next I play, need to go back and try to recover my stuff. lol

Try killing things in the undead burg some of them gives you a free humanity in your humanity slot or try to reach the sunbros bonfire (the one below the red drake) and go killing everything till the church.

Rats can also drop humanity there are three of them below the red drake too.

onionfrog

I've started a fist weapons only run. Dual Caestus is pretty intense even in the beginning of the game. I'm not used to being unable to block. Fist fighting the berenike knight in the undead parish was fun! It took a lot of hits to take him down.

I also died to the group of hollows in the undead parish before the gargoyles. That's definitely a first!

This should be an interesting playthrough. It should be much better once I can get a dark hand so I can block.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've started a fist weapons only run. Dual Caestus is pretty intense even in the beginning of the game. I'm not used to being unable to block. Fist fighting the berenike knight in the undead parish was fun! It took a lot of hits to take him down.

I also died to the group of hollows in the undead parish before the gargoyles. That's definitely a first!

This should be an interesting playthrough. It should be much better once I can get a dark hand so I can block.

Get the dragon bone fist so you can become Ken!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm debating using that or just dual Caestus and leveling up both strength and dexterity.
I hear the Dragon Bone Fist has some cool moves though. I'm nowhere near Sen's yet...
It looks awesome and the moveset is really cool when your hits connect.

That being said, it kind of sucks and is hard to use on everything but regular sized humanoid enemies.

Morfeo

Well to share my latest failure, in the Garden there was a corpse in a clearing. Obviously a trap. And those foliage monsters popped up and killed me. Had some type of grab attack. Thought, "huh, that's a new one." So next I play, need to go back and try to recover my stuff. lol

Tell me about it! I almost died here as well yesterday, even though I was pretty certain it was a trap.

misho8723

Banned
I fucking hate GfWL ... co-op not a option for me right now.. but luckily Depths saved me, so much Humanity to gather there.. thanks for the advice to go there :)

Rats are your best friend. Head to the Depths. Consume the first few Humanity drops you get to bump up your drop rate a little. From there just keep up with more runs. The majority of the rats are relatively close together, so runs never really feel tiresome. You'll be fine for Anor Londo with ten or so Humanities in your pack, allowing for several dying/Reviving to Human runs against S&O.

I just reached Anor Londo in NG+ and I leveled up all DEX/VIT/END to 40. Is this when you start to see diminishing returns or should I keep going? Should I use souls elsewhere now?

Levyne

Banned
I had that happen for the first time on my NG++ run. As soon as I saw him jump back for the first time I was like "wait a minute......."

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
stop telling him to go all the way across the planet to farm rats

drop a summon sign at the bonfire in the hallway and farm silver knights until you get summoned. rinse and repeat until you have enough humanity

onionfrog

Tried to fight the moonlight butterfly and man was I not prepared. My +5 Caestus was only doing 20 damage per hit.
So I went and took on the Capra Demon instead. Man that fight is different without a shield! His dogs wreak havoc in that enclosed space when you have no means to block them. Managed to take Capra down on the second attempt though. Gonna farm the slimes to get my gear a bit stronger now.

I was breezing through the game and suffered my first death on that shitty ass titanite demon. I'm so glad I learned how to dodge. But, I died too many times. I get impatient and screw up and that's all she wrote. This is why I became a katana user, to go fast. Gargoyles were a complete and utter joke. Seriously, I thought it was two boss battles. It was just 1 and another with half HP. +5 Uci and gold pine resin=both dead in seconds. Literally the fight was over in less then a minute.

Taurus demon died in 5 seconds.

Capra got me the first time. I rolled into a dog on accident and got brutalized.

Morfeo

I was breezing through the game and suffered my first death on that shitty ass titanite demon. I'm so glad I learned how to dodge. But, I died too many times. I get impatient and screw up and that's all she wrote. This is why I became a katana user, to go fast. Gargoyles were a complete and utter joke. Seriously, I thought it was two boss battles. It was just 1 and another with half HP. +5 Uci and gold pine resin=both dead in seconds. Literally the fight was over in less then a minute.

Taurus demon died in 5 seconds.

Capra got me the first time. I rolled into a dog on accident and got brutalized.

Lol I dont get how its even possible to have such an easy time with this :)

It comes with experience. My first playthrough of DS1 was brutal with probably hundreds of deaths. In a later playthrough, I don't think I died to an enemy until Anor Londo (I had a few stupid deaths rolling of ledges however).

stop telling him to go all the way across the planet to farm rats

drop a summon sign at the bonfire in the hallway and farm silver knights until you get summoned. rinse and repeat until you have enough humanity
The thing is people die a lot to O&S (hence the OPs original dilemma) - it can be frustrating as a phantom to get summoned one after the other only for the hosts to keep dying.

If the run there and back is too far for you, sure try co-op - and it's literally a run you don't have to engage a single enemy - but I think it's a pretty quick run and you will even still get some co-op action in the Depths if you put your sign down there whilst farming, and the slimes drop large shards too.

Jamesways

It comes with experience. My first playthrough of DS1 was brutal with probably hundreds of deaths. In a later playthrough, I don't think I died to an enemy until Anor Londo (I had a few stupid deaths rolling of ledges however).

That's very true, you sure do learn the patterns and become very efficient. Playthrough #3 I think I died once during the Capra demon fight because I was getting cute with trying different miracles, next death was O&S.

Run through #4 though, I finally did have issues with the 4 Kings. The last 2 run throughs I did them at the beginning of the game, and just carved right through them. This time, it took 4 tries. I did not tank with heavy armor, I experimented with miracle buffs and great lighning spears (just stick to weapons was the take home there), and tried several resins.
It is crazy to do everything out of order (4 Kings, Pinwheel, Quelaag, Ceaseless Discharge, Moonlight Butterfly, Sif, Capra, Gaping Dragon, then Gargoyles).

It's fun to experiment with different weapon types and spells you hadn't used, that's what keeps me going. Death by poop Petrus, death by poop.

One thing I noticed though, I got the Book of the Guilty this time and actually looked at it. There's a ton of players on the 360 with 99 for every stat, yet only at level 40. How the heck does that work? Some glitch or hack?

Gaping Dragon killed me by throwing me off a cliff. Is that even possible? I rolled into his tail and he rocketed me off a cliff. I felt like a basketball. I think it was a glitch because my character spazzed out.

Also died when some jack ass invaded me all twinkled out. He 1 shot me. Then gloated about it.

I beat DSII a couple times. I also beat DS as a mage years ago. I just learned how to dodge and stop getting greedy. It's not hard if you aren't me and YOLO your way to victory. I mean last time I played I had no idea what I was doing. I had to resort to being a mage+summoning to beat the game.

Patience is a virtue. I learned that the hard way when I got killed by Titanite Demon. 1 hit away from victory and I just went crazy on him and died.

Honestly the levels are far worse then the bosses. Far worse.

Top Bottom