• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Well, it doesnt matter, I got slaughtered pretty much instantly (and literally). Need to be a bit smarter!

Morfeo

No, like I wrote, I got slaughtered. So the butcher in the water killed me. Think I know how to take him out now though :)

Thrak360

Neo Member
Slow progress, but I killed the Hellkite Dragon last night. Probably took a half dozen tries. I just used one-hit-and-run tactics. Too many times if I stuck around I would get flame blasted, be able to pick myself up in time to get a second flame blast, and then be able to pick myself up in time to get the third, killing flame blast. So ended up going in for one strike, then fleeing down the stairs. Truly a heroic strategy.

Oh, and using the Black Knight Sword. Once I leveled up enough to use that, I took the advice here and dropped the Drake into the bottomless box...

Still haven't upgraded a single thing yet, however.

Morfeo

Slow progress, but I killed the Hellkite Dragon last night. Probably took a half dozen tries. I just used one-hit-and-run tactics. Too many times if I stuck around I would get flame blasted, be able to pick myself up in time to get a second flame blast, and then be able to pick myself up in time to get the third, killing flame blast. So ended up going in for one strike, then fleeing down the stairs. Truly a heroic strategy.

Oh, and using the Black Knight Sword. Once I leveled up enough to use that, I took the advice here and dropped the Drake into the bottomless box...

Still haven't upgraded a single thing yet, however.

I spent an whole evening trying to beat this dragon, but when I finally learned all its pattern, it was pretty easy. What I found out was that just at the side of its leg, there was a "free spot" where he for some reason wouldnt hit you with his fire when standing in the air. This meant that you only really had to flee when he turned around (signalling that he was going to the other side of the bridge), making the fight very easy indeed.

Btw: I am having fun in the depths. The enemies here seems very weak, but I continue to expect that the game wants me to get overconfident and then throwing something insane at me - like that huge rat I saw a couple of times earlier. Will be fun as always.

Thrak360

Neo Member
I think I'll head for the Depths next. I'll play around near the Undead Parish Shrine for a bit. Got some souls to spend, a new Claymore to play around with, then I may take my first stab at upgrading a weapon.

Wow, Sens Fort is kicking my ass. The enemies are easy, but, it's the traps combined with the enemies. I died like 8x on the swinging blades.

Morfeo

I think I have pretty much cleared the Depths, ready to approach the Boss Fog. Even learned to jump in the process! This area was very creepy, but also very easy I would say.

Dave_6

I bought this on PC last week after seeing so many of my Steam friends playing the sequel. LOL it may have been a bad idea cause I suck!

Morfeo

I bought this on PC last week after seeing so many of my Steam friends playing the sequel. LOL it may have been a bad idea cause I suck!

Just play slowly, that is the best tip you can get. Everybody sucks in the start, but then you learn and becomes better and what destroyed you early on will you easily destroy later and it will feel better than anything you have felt in (almost) every other game. Have fun!

Morfeo

It took a ton of tries, but I finally defeated the Gaping Dragon. I think this must have been the most satisfying victory so far as it was really difficult to defeat, even after learning its moves and how to avoid it. It was a huge help that I managed to get rid of the tail, as that was the single attack I never really learned to defend from (and it also netted me another mostly-useless weapon if its to be judged from the other tail-weapons), and it also helped a lot to dual-wield the Claymore as the shield was useless for this battle anyways.

Very fun, very difficult, and very satisfying. On to Blighttown and framerate-hell it is!

Edit: Got to mention that I fell down and died in the boss-area AFTER I had killed the beast. Didnt even know it was possible, and was just wandering around to explore when that happend. SO GLAD it didnt happen during the battle lol :)

Overdoziz

Banned
It took a ton of tries, but I finally defeated the Gaping Dragon. I think this must have been the most satisfying victory so far as it was really difficult to defeat, even after learning its moves and how to avoid it. It was a huge help that I managed to get rid of the tail, as that was the single attack I never really learned to defend from (and it also netted me another mostly-useless weapon if its to be judged from the other tail-weapons), and it also helped a lot to dual-wield the Claymore as the shield was useless for this battle anyways.

Very fun, very difficult, and very satisfying. On to Blighttown and framerate-hell it is!

Edit: Got to mention that I fell down and died in the boss-area AFTER I had killed the beast. Didnt even know it was possible, and was just wandering around to explore when that happend. SO GLAD it didnt happen during the battle lol :)
It's one of the easiest bosses in the game. :D

Morfeo

It's one of the easiest bosses in the game. :D

It wasnt for me. This is how I would rank the bosses Ive beaten so far from easy to hard (including the Hellkite Dragon):

Capra Demon (easiest)
Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyles
Hellkite Dragon
Gaping Dragon (hardest)

But I guess this is all about build and stats when you get to them. At least this is how it felt for me, considering amount of tries it took to take them down, how many mistakes I was able to make during the battle without dying, and how hard their pattern was to figure out.

Overdoziz

Banned
It wasnt for me. This is how I would rank the bosses Ive beaten so far from easy to hard (including the Hellkite Dragon):

Capra Demon (easiest)
Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyles
Hellkite Dragon
Gaping Dragon (hardest)

But I guess this is all about build and stats when you get to them. At least this is how it felt for me, considering amount of tries it took to take them down, how many mistakes I was able to make during the battle without dying, and how hard their pattern was to figure out.
It's like the list is in reverse order, haha.

Morfeo

Anyways, Blighttown feels very much like level 5-1 Valley of Defilement from Demons Souls, which is fine I guess. Was nowhere near as hard as I would have guessed from the warnings I had got about it online, but I guess the worst is yet to come as I have only gotten to the first Bonfire so far.

This is where I kinda dislike the Dark Souls bonfire-system, as I would very much like to now move to Andre to do some crafting or maybe try another area (getting a bit sick of the darkness), but since I am already way down here with no real shortcut to the surface, I feel its the smartest choice to stay. A situation which would suck if I was stuck on a hard boss or area. Anyways, game in general is amazing still of course!

Overdoziz

Banned
This is where I kinda dislike the Dark Souls bonfire-system, as I would very much like to now move to Andre to do some crafting or maybe try another area (getting a bit sick of the darkness), but since I am already way down here with no real shortcut to the surface, I feel its the smartest choice to stay. A situation which would suck if I was stuck on a hard boss or area. Anyways, game in general is amazing still of course!
That'll be less of an issue later on in the game. It's also something they changed in Dark Souls 2 where you can teleport from bonfire to bonfire.

Morfeo

That'll be less of an issue later on in the game. It's also something they changed in Dark Souls 2 where you can teleport from bonfire to bonfire.

Yeah Im sure. At least it forces me to finish this area for good on my first run through it, which also means I (hopefully) wont have to go back :)

Kieli

Capra Demon (easiest)
Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyles
Hellkite Dragon
Gaping Dragon (hardest)

H-how did you kill the Hellkite Dragon?...

Joei

Capra Demon (easiest)
Asylum Demon
Taurus Demon
Bell Gargoyles
Hellkite Dragon
Gaping Dragon (hardest)

I think Gaping might be one of the easiest there, though none are that hard. The reason I say that is cause if you look for it, Gaping Dragon has a very predicable pattern and leaves himself open for attacks. I'll tell you what CAN make that fight hard is using the summons beforehand. Those totally throw off the pattern and if you try and go in while they're attacking him, you can easily be killed.

Otherwise, I just beat the last boss. I really wanted to beat him with
Solaire
, but I couldn't keep him alive long enough to do it. Also, after I beat him, I did
not light the bonfire, first time seeing that ending, really cool
. I'm going to try and do a different order for bosses on NG+. First time doing that. I also want to talk to Kaathe, never did that before.

Morfeo

H-how did you kill the Hellkite Dragon?...

I wrote this a few pages back:

The Dragon was actually really easy when I finally learned all the tricks. First of all, it took me way too long time to figure out that he turning around actually meant he was preparing to fly to the other side (and thus being a sign that I needed to get back down). Secondly, I found there was actually a blind spot in its fire just at the side of its foot, which made its most dangerous attack completely avoidable. This took me forever to find out though, as I always started to panick when it breathed fire in that way, and thus got hit. With this knowledge I managed to beat it without taking damage at all, which felt good. Guess that completes my buisness here in Undead Borg/Parish for now!

Morfeo

I think Gaping might be one of the easiest there, though none are that hard. The reason I say that is cause if you look for it, Gaping Dragon has a very predicable pattern and leaves himself open for attacks. I'll tell you what CAN make that fight hard is using the summons beforehand. Those totally throw off the pattern and if you try and go in while they're attacking him, you can easily be killed.

I didnt use a summon. What I found difficult is that he more or less all attacks would kill me in one hit, and it takes some time to figure out how to avoid them - thus making it both a hard but also very satisfying boss to conquer. First off, his dash attack is pretty avoidable, but will one-hit kill you if it hits - and it very often comes after his slam-attack which incidently was the attack that exposed his head the most - making it very tempting to go for a few slashes. Of course with experience, I learned to not do this, but that takes time. Also his flying attack is very difficult (or rather, pure luck) to avoid as he is way faster than you when he flies after you, and thus I emplyed a strategy where I didnt really tried to avoid the attack, but made sure I didnt end up just in front of him when he landed. Lastly, his tail has an incredible range, and his arms also have some very powerful attack that if they hit will push you to the ground and often make it hard to get away afterwards. And that is not even mentioning his grab attack (that of couse also one-hit killed me).

In the end, at least for my build, I had to be more or less perfect to get through here, and I had to get rid of that tail pretty fast to stand any chance. When I finally did that, it was manageable - but before that, it was very hard indeed.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thank for the tip on not equiping more than 50 % of your max capacity, Morfeo. Feels like playing another game now :p

Bell Gargoyles were 10x easier once you can actually just strafe away from the fire etc

Morfeo

Thank for the tip on not equiping more than 50 % of your max capacity, Morfeo. Feels like playing another game now :p

Bell Gargoyles were 10x easier once you can actually just strafe away from the fire etc

Lol, awesome work day I see? :) Where are you headed next then?

I would also try the 25% equipment load breakpoint, with Havel's ring it's easily achieved and still wear high defence armour. The difference in rolling and evasion is huge imo.

Morfeo

I didnt know about it, but I know where to find Havel (he already killed me a few times earlier), so guess I now have a reason to go and get my revenge! :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know where Havel is, but I just encountered the Capra Demon. Fucking hell.

Nordicus

Capra's difficulty is highly dependant on how quickly you manage to kill the dogs. If you don't play assertively or aren't in possession of a weapon with long horizontal swings, chances are you'll have your stamina chewed out, get bitten enough times to bleed, then get smashed by Capra in the corner for good measure.

The fight's difficulty varies wildly because you get 3 AIs that can goof up in a small claustrophobic space. For the record, I beat him on the second try when I first played... in fact, 2nd time on all characters that I played that far. I always screw up something small at first and get bashed

Top Bottom