• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Gaping Dragon killed me by throwing me off a cliff. Is that even possible? I rolled into his tail and he rocketed me off a cliff. I felt like a basketball. I think it was a glitch because my character spazzed out.

Also died when some jack ass invaded me all twinkled out. He 1 shot me. Then gloated about it.

kwovcbl.jpg

;P

yeah i was about ready to smash my controller when that asshole invaded me. He just sat there and let me attack him, and I did zero damage to him. He then did that "well was it" pose over and over while I attacked him. He finally one shots me, then sends me a message telling me to "git gud scrub".

he hurt my feelings.

Mistel

Banned
yeah i was about ready to smash my controller when that asshole invaded me. He just sat there and let me attack him, and I did zero damage to him. He then did that "well was it" pose over and over while I attacked him. He finally one shots me, then sends me a message telling me to "git gud scrub".

he hurt my feelings.
You really get very angry over a game don't you? If this is an issue for you so why not seek a professional?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

he hurt my feelings.

Was he hacking? Jump off a cliff. Don't give the bastard the satisfaction.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've killed people who were clearly cheating by knocking them off a cliff. Can't really hack your way out of that.
You really get very angry over a game don't you? If this is an issue for you so why not seek a professional?
Best Dark Souls counselor:

Wvg0sp9.jpg

funkypie

Banned
i'm stuck in the first dungeon. after the tutorial one, i'm in someplace called undeadburg or something trying to ring the church bell.

just getting my arse handed to me. That boss on the bridge, I run away, climb up the ladders and do a jump attack but then he one shots me lol.

i'm stuck in the first dungeon. after the tutorial one, i'm in someplace called undeadburg or something trying to ring the church bell.

just getting my arse handed to me. That boss on the bridge, I run away, climb up the ladders and do a jump attack but then he one shots me lol.

After you plunge attack, you can mostly stand under his legs and attack him safely.

kionedrik

1 - Call him to the tower
2 - Climb the tower and do a plunge attack
3 - Run away and when he follows and jumps just dodge under him
4 - Repeat...

Try not attacking for a while and just baiting his moves (standing close enough that he attacks, but far enough away that you can roll or back up out of the way) to see what his moveset is. The way Souls go is a lot of bosses give openings to attack them after they have done their own attacks. Paying attention to what they're doing always pays off in Souls :)

Also pay attention to your stamina (green bar) as well as your health (red). If you have no or low stamina you won't be able to block an attack. And if you exhaust all your stamina attacking, it can be difficult to get out of the way in time for when the enemy does their attack. If you can say do four swings of your sword before the bar is depleted, only do 3 so you have enough left to dodge or move.

Joei

I was equipping my character the other night trying to get the best set of armor on and it got me thinking. Do any of you equip only set pieces (like equipping all Elite Knight gear, or Giant armor, etc.) or do you mix and match and try to get the best boost in stats?

Now I normally would mix and match, but I've been running around with the Black Iron set looking like Tarkus and I really don't want to mix my armor up cause I think the character looks so badass. Although, when I equip the wood grain ring , like the other night, and want to drop to <25% equip, I'm mixing a little.

I was equipping my character the other night trying to get the best set of armor on and it got me thinking. Do any of you equip only set pieces (like equipping all Elite Knight gear, or Giant armor, etc.) or do you mix and match and try to get the best boost in stats?

Now I normally would mix and match, but I've been running around with the Black Iron set looking like Tarkus and I really don't want to mix my armor up cause I think the character looks so badass. Although, when I equip the wood grain ring , like the other night, and want to drop to <25% equip, I'm mixing a little.

There's a point reached where you equip what looks cool, it's called Fashion Souls.

I mix and match based on equip load, for appearance and speed.

Unless I'm cosplaying, I always mix and matched.

I really liked the Dusk top with the Stone Guardian leggings. I had a spell-fencer (magic+rapier) build that I always used that on, looked really fitting for the character type. I rarely paid attention to stats on armour in DS1, it was all about Fashion Souls, lol.

Another favourite was no top and the gold-hemmed gloves which go right up the arm, kinda sexy if it wasn't on a hulking big fat ulgy guy with monk bowl-cut hair, the Dusk dress and a large club!

Taurus demon can one shot you? I didn't know that was possible. He doesn't really hit too hard. Then again he was dead before he could even attack. Use gold pine resin+plunge and learn to roll. You're gunna have too sooner or later. T.Demon is the perfect boss for that.

Is it just me, or does sorcery turn the game into easy mode?

I beat it as a claymore fiend originally; you may remember me having a particularly tough time with O and S on here a month or so ago. I then beat DS2, and last night was bored and decided to kick around with the start of this one again as a sorc this time.

After 2 hours (I checked the loading screen) I had rang both bells, and went to bed surprised.

Tonight, I'm at a total of 4:30 and just beat O and S, on the second try. The first, I had O dead and S to half and made a silly roll.

What gives? I'll allow that I have probably improved at the games having beat 1 and 2 back to back, but I'm not THAT good. Is magic really this easy? Or did I become a superstar? I've died maybe 8 or 9 times in total so far, only two of which have been at the hands of an enemy.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

What I did was just go very close to him, as his attacks tended not to hit me when I standed just in front of him at all times. From there I could just slash away. If you got the residence Key from the vendor, you should also be able to get the Gold Pine Raisin to increase the attack of your weapon of choice, and it will be a matter of seconds before he goes down. Just remember to take out the archer before you confront him.

Good luck!

Jamesways

So NG+++, in Anor Londo, getting ready for the big showdown last night. I was surprised to see 2 summon signs at the bonfire on the way to O&S. I'm level 160ish by now, and haven't seen an online summon sign in a while.

Figured what the hell. First attempt, summon failed, just got one guy and we died from the lightning slam with SS left with a sliver of health. Next time, got the other guy and the 3 of us proceded to lay waste to the sentinels and O&S in record time. Seriously put on a clinic. I've never had that fight go so flawlessly before.

In NG++ I did it without summon help after several tries and it was damn difficult, even using Power Within at the end it was a super close fight.

This time, O went down fast and SS was pretty much stun locked the whole time. Damn did he have a ton of HP this time though.

I've attempted them a lot in these playthroughs, and hit the wall with and without help against them. This just felt so good to absolutely destroy them so efficiently. What an emotional high.

I was hooting and hollering about it and the wife watching from the other room just rolled her eyes.

Oh and about armor, Elite Knight set for me all the way. To me, it's the armor of DS. If i want to flip with the dark wood grain I use the Wanderer pants which still match the look, and the Eastern gauntlets. Or I'll just switch to the Crimson robe for the chest piece.

789shadow

Banned
My dilemma right now is between the Elite Knight Set and Ornstein's set.

I'm leaning toward Ornstein's just because it looks cooler, though. :p

Jamesways

My dilemma right now is between the Elite Knight Set and Ornstein's set.

I'm leaning toward Ornstein's just because it looks cooler, though. :p

I actually was going to wear that for the O&S fight since it's got high lightning defense, I just forgot about it.

This playthrough I'm using his spear through most of it. It's not bad.

Is it just me, or does sorcery turn the game into easy mode?

Depends of what you call sorcery, pyromancy and miracles are another classes itselft yet people tends to confuse them also they rely of using melee weapons because then cant aim several targets.

I see so much hybrids builds guides with melee and pyro or melee and miracles and call it sorcery but yeah.

Sorcery itself is pretty hard but rewarding when you grow up and get new spells unlike pyro or miracles that gives you a standart yet strong spell in the beginning

funkypie

Banned
for some reason I found demon souls easier than this game. This shit is hard.

so i'm fighting the gargoyle on top of the church, half way through another one comes and I used all my 5 heals to get to the boss.

shiroryu

so i'm fighting the gargoyle on top of the church, half way through another one comes and I used all my 5 heals to get to the boss.

Have you opened the Firelink shortcut? There's an elevator in the church next to the stairs that takes you down to Firelink, where you can get a full 10 flasks to work with.

Edit: I found Demons' Souls harder simply because there are no convenient bonfires every so often. There are no checkpoints within a DeS level, only shortcuts. Admittedly the shortcuts can save you a lot of time.

At what point does int stop being useful? Does it stop increasing the magic output? I've got my INT at 40 and feel like some of my spells aren't doing as much damage as I'd like.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

This boss fight wasnt really that hard. I wrote this when I beat them a few pages back:

Anyways, I managed to beat them on about my fifth try. Was hard, but very satisfying. Also got the tail of one of the Gargoyles, which unfortunately doesnt seem to be that great of a weapon.

Anyways, the fight actually wasnt that hard (way easier than the Maneater-fight in Demons Souls). The attacks could easily be blocked, and was very easy to spot, meaning that you should never really loose any health from the normal attacks. I tended to be confused when the Gargoyle flied, but then just started to stand completely still when he was in the air. This also resulted in him landing very close to me, giving me a good spot to get in a few strikes after blocking his attack. Stuff got way harder when the other guy arrived, but I was a bit lucky, and managed to corner and finish off the first one almost immidiately. Then the second one was a joke as his fire was way to slow on its own to be of any danger.

shiroryu

I tended to be confused when the Gargoyle flied, but then just started to stand completely still when he was in the air. This also resulted in him landing very close to me, giving me a good spot to get in a few strikes after blocking his attack.

Yup. Just did the Depths boss fight as a melee build a few hours ago and its jump and slam was one-shotting me, though I had all its other moves down. Finally started just waiting for it to come down instead of headless chickening, and it worked. Boss down! Onwards to Blighttown.

Incidentally, Brolaire and Lautrec are beyond useless in that fight. Getting up in its grille and eating of all its attacks. Boss wasn't even down half of its HP when both got killed off. I still managed to get it down to a sliver left, and then jump one-shot.

At what point does int stop being useful? Does it stop increasing the magic output? I've got my INT at 40 and feel like some of my spells aren't doing as much damage as I'd like.

40 I think, then it slowly increase your Int afterwards.

For catalyst I recommend you to stick with your sorcerer catalyst till you found the oolacile catalyst, demon catalyst and finally logan

funkypie

Banned
Have you opened the Firelink shortcut? There's an elevator in the church next to the stairs that takes you down to Firelink, where you can get a full 10 flasks to work with.

Edit: I found Demons' Souls harder simply because there are no convenient bonfires every so often. There are no checkpoints within a DeS level, only shortcuts. Admittedly the shortcuts can save you a lot of time.

I saw that elevator, went down it and thought shit son don't want to be here and immediately went back up. Now that I've taken down the mini bosses, the standard bonfire to the gargoyle isn't that far away, I was just taking my time with that gargoyle boss then bam, the second one appeared, I died alot getting that far, so had to put it down for awhile.

btw that shortcut to firelink, are there enemies there? Not sure if I want to risk dying as my souls are on the roof with the boss and it is quite alot 8k.

I went with the pyro guy that starts at level 1 and have been raising mainly dex with some str end and vit.

Joei

I'm right at the end doing my NPC killing before the last boss and fought
Hawkeye
last night. I think that fight was better than most of the boss fights, lol. Really fun fight and reminded me of a certain Demon's Souls boss, but tougher.

Mistel

Banned
If you really wanted a lighnting halberd try the giant's it's got lightning right of the bat and double D's might be a tad heavy for you.

shiroryu

I saw that elevator, went down it and thought shit son don't want to be here and immediately went back up. Now that I've taken down the mini bosses, the standard bonfire to the gargoyle isn't that far away, I was just taking my time with that gargoyle boss then bam, the second one appeared, I died alot getting that far, so had to put it down for awhile.

btw that shortcut to firelink, are there enemies there? Not sure if I want to risk dying as my souls are on the roof with the boss and it is quite alot 8k.

I went with the pyro guy that starts at level 1 and have been raising mainly dex with some str end and vit.

Why? Firelink Shrine is your safe zone. That is the closest bonfire you have, with no enemies until you get into the Parish itself (1 Knight on the stairs plus all the zombies). There's another bonfire you can use, to the east of the church, but you'll have to kindle it to get to +10 flasks, and you'll have to run by/take out the 3 undead soldiers outside.

Just best it again with my sorc. I didn't use any melee save the drake sword early game, and I out all stats into int and vit, using those black and gold robes from the demons ruins and the starting catalyst.
Had a blast, though as I said earlier the game felt far easier. There was a noticeable bump post O and S when I got to the 4 kings and couldn't damage them fast enough. I abandoned them, took out the dukes archives, and found the crystal spells. What a difference. After that, I was waiting for each of the 4 kings to spawn. The only other boss I found mildly difficult was gwyn, until I got into my old pattern of circling the rocks to the left of the entrance and casting crystal soul mass. 7 or so of those and he was dead.
]

All in all great fun. I'd say the lightning claymore Build I used before was maybe more fun, but also far more challenging, while this was easier. It was definitely more satisfying beating the snot out of bosses who had really annoyed me on my first run. O and s, as well as the second boss in demon ruins come to mind. Even gwyn for that matter.

Love these games. They infuriate me but I kept coming back. Having beaten all games once, dark souls twice and half way thru dark souls 2 NG+, I'm probably going to pack it in. Baby is due this week and I feel like I've mastered these games, at least to the point where I want to.

Hope you all have or had as great an experience as me!

funkypie

Banned
Why? Firelink Shrine is your safe zone. That is the closest bonfire you have, with no enemies until you get into the Parish itself (1 Knight on the stairs plus all the zombies). There's another bonfire you can use, to the east of the church, but you'll have to kindle it to get to +10 flasks, and you'll have to run by/take out the 3 undead soldiers outside.

I didn't know the starting/safe zone was firelink shrine, I just shat myself as I thought it was a new area, noob here.

yeah pretty much nothing in my way now from there and with 10 flasks. Still struggling on the boss though.

40 I think, then it slowly increase your Int afterwards.

For catalyst I recommend you to stick with your sorcerer catalyst till you found the oolacile catalyst, demon catalyst and finally logan

Honestly, as soon as I found the crystal spells, I never needed to change. I used that sorcerer catalyst the entire game. Those crystal spells hit damn hard.

Top Bottom