• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Nope it's pretty hard to miss the fact the is a huge gap you can throw stuff over unless you pay no attention.
NQHKSVE.gif

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Blighttown is a joke compared to the Valley of Defilement imo, and especially that swamp was some pretty disappointing stuff.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
When you actually get down to the swamp it's a piece of cake IMO. You only run into difficulty when you want to explore, and if you're smart you look for a bonfire first. It's everything beforehand that is stressful and scary your first time through (the descent).

Also can't wait for your impressions of the boss there.

Morfeo

Ok, fighting those boulder guys in the swamp is not that fun, but still cant really compare to the giant depraved guys in Demons Souls. Think I have explored the whole swamp now, so ready to move up that mill-thingie which I assume is the way forward!

Mistel

Banned
Ok, fighting those boulder guys in the swamp is not that fun, but still cant really compare to the giant depraved guys in Demons Souls. Think I have explored the whole swamp now, so ready to move up that mill-thingie which I assume is the way forward!
You beaten the best looking boss yet?

Morfeo

Ok, I didnt find the cave for the boss at first, and went out of the area. So I ended up consulting a guide and went back down. Seems I hadnt really explored the swamps just as methodical as I thought. Anyways, I tried to kill the stuff outside the Boss Lair, and while it didnt manage to kill me, my PS3 actually freezed. Not a good sign at all! Fortunately, I got enough overwhelmed by the little bugs that I now know better than to let them free again lol.

Morfeo

Restarted the machine and was lucky enough to start at the entrance of Quelags Domain. Or lucky and lucky, she did not show me her nipples, and I think I only lasted for one attack before I was dead. Holy shit this is getting old :(

Morfeo

Yeah, no way I will be able to beat her now. At least that is how it feels after two terrible attempts. However, it felt the same way with the Gaping Dragon, so I guess I just have to keep on trying.

Morfeo

But I thought Blighttown was a joke...?

;)

Lol it was untill now, but guess I spoke to soon.

Anyways, two really irritating things. First, those respawning mosquitos that takes forever to kill, fuck them. They make the trip to the Queen waaaaaay longer that it should be (and not in a challenging way), and two it sucks to change equpiment between high poison-defense and high fire-defense all the fucking time.

So, third time and dead. I am starting to live a bit longer, but not really sure how I should go ahead. Might just drop the shield althogheter and two-hand for higher damage, as it doesnt seem to do me much good.

Morfeo

There is a path through the swamp to the boss where you can avoid being poisoned.

I think I have almost found this, as there is only really one place I get poisoned when I go to her, guess I just need to explore a bit more there (but its between the two boulder groups, so I kinda dont want to be to adventurous either).

Morfeo

or you can use the ring thats make you move faster in water and run away from everything

Yeah, I dont have that ring (yet).

I wasnt able to get through without getting poisoned, meaning I wasted two of my five flasks before even starting the battle with Quelaag.

Afte having died on her four times, I was pretty much aware of her movement and how to avoid her attacks and when to counter. I played extremely defensive and did very little damage (only about 100 for each slash), so it took forever, but I managed to play almost perfectly, only getting trapped in her lave once, and thus only had to use one Estus Flask. I only attacked her when she both was occupied lavaing the floor, and there was a good escape route from her side, went there and slashed once, and left, always keeping my distance as best I could. I eventually changed to dual-wielding which upped the damage I gave a bit, but it still took some time. However, it seemed the fight became easier as it went on, as she seemed to be slower and slower, I dont know, maybe she got trapped in her own stuff? Anyways, in the end I was able to do two or even three slashed before she turned around, so that was nice.

Was another fight that seemed impossible at first, but then quickly became easier when I just concentrated and used my head. I would say the most difficult part was making sure she didnt put lava in a way that made continued running around her impossible, and that almost happened a few times, but thankfully not enough. Continuous movement and patience was key here. (Not looking forward to see people on youtube destroy her on level 1 within seconds lol).

kitsuneyo

Hi Souls-GAF

Today I bought DS Prepare to Die Edition on Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow. It'll be my 4th go at completing the game. Last time I gave up on Smough & Ornstein.

I love this game and I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it. Over 150 hours (which I'm sure the regulars in this thread will scoff at). But now I'm just determined to get to the end by any means.

What's the best way to complete this game, as easily as possible? What's the best walkthrough/FAQ I can find online?

Also, I'm on PS3 this time whereas my last copy of the game was for 360. Which has the worst Blight Town framerate? Any other notable differences?

Morfeo

Hi Souls-GAF

Today I bought DS Prepare to Die Edition on Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow. It'll be my 4th go at completing the game. Last time I gave up on Smough & Ornstein.

I love this game and I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it. Over 150 hours (which I'm sure the regulars in this thread will scoff at). But now I'm just determined to get to the end by any means.

What's the best way to complete this game, as easily as possible? What's the best walkthrough/FAQ I can find online?

Also, I'm on PS3 this time whereas my last copy of the game was for 360. Which has the worst Blight Town framerate? Any other notable differences?

I would guess the framterate is a bit worse on the PS3, but I have that version as well since it has free multiplayer :)

Morfeo

Finding the snake you can feed items to might have been the best moment so far in the game. This is seriously a huge upgrade from Demons Souls imo.

Feels awesome to be back in the light again, although it sucks that the Firelink Bonfire is gone. Oh well. Suggestions on where to go next? I guess I have the Sen Fortress, Anor Londo, Valley of Drake, Graveyard, Demons Ruins, Hollow Tree and the Garden all unlocked.

Mistel

Banned
Suggestions on where to go next? I guess I have the Sen Fortress, Anor Londo, Valley of Drake, Graveyard, Demons Ruins, Hollow Tree and the Garden all unlocked.
You've got Sen's to do to progress but you could go to the catacombs and get a gravelord greatsword if you want. Or go through hollow tree to join the dragon.

Finding the snake you can feed items to might have been the best moment so far in the game. This is seriously a huge upgrade from Demons Souls imo.

Feels awesome to be back in the light again, although it sucks that the Firelink Bonfire is gone. Oh well. Suggestions on where to go next? I guess I have the Sen Fortress, Anor Londo, Valley of Drake, Graveyard, Demons Ruins, Hollow Tree and the Garden all unlocked.

If you just rang the second bell, the cut scene showed you where to go.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Morfeo, you're tripling :p

Gonna try to kill the Capra Demon before I have to do stuff today :D

Joei

So I'm doing NG+, and it's, well, a very different and interesting kind of game. First, I wanted to go straight down New Londo and kill 4K, and I got down there and was like, d'oh, I need that ring, no biggie, so then I'm on my way to Sif, but the back way and realize I don't have the crest, which isn't a problem since you can buy it right by that entrance to Darkroot. So I'm going through the Valley of the Drakes, get to Darkroot, and eventually make my way to Andre. And then I'm thinking, hmm, I'm here, I might as well open up the pathway to Firelink. But here's the thing, along the way I got to a bonfire I didn't max out in my first game and started thinking, well, I GUESS I could go kill Pinwheel. So now I'm not sure what I want to do. And through all this, some of those enemies were seriously pissing me off. The ghosts in New Londo kept ganging up on me and killing me. When I started to go the back way through the Valley, those Drakes kept getting their shots in and taking me down. Hell, when I finally did get to Andre, that Demon outside got a lucky kill in there.

I tried NG+ once before on another character and went "the normal" way and rang the two bells, but it was super easy and quick. Now, I'm not sure what I want to do. I think I want to kill the Gargoyles last, but take down every boss I can before doing that. Now to figure out an order.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Getting close, but I don't really fancy the design of the Capra fight.

Sometimes when you start the fight, you'll get caught between the dogs and the demon, with no chance of escaping, and sometimes you wont, and you can proceed with the normal fight after killing the dogs. A bit too random for my liking.

edit: he dead

@Joei
^ The Gargoyles are usually the last early boss I do too - since it's quick to do them and straight on to Sen's rather than trek up from B-town.

I'd do Pinwheel - the drop down route is so fast, rescue Rhea, homebone, Forest bosses, 4 Kings, Depths, B-Town, Gargoyles, Sen's. If you do all the forest bosses this early though you close off the Gankers Woods for pvp.

The ghosts in New Londo: If you run through the house (or jump the broken stairs outside) to the path leading to the seal, half a dozen ghosts in the house will follow you but it's easier to take them out there when not surrounded by them like inside the house. Then go up on the roof take out the two or three there, drop down go to the room inside with the ladder and there are now only two in there, the rest only aggro as you pass them going for treasures - soul, cursebite ring. It's my tried and tested method of getting the seal early (killing the NPC from range)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, the sewers... fuck this area, I'm out.

aaaaaa, I got cursed too before I died

Resilient

Just beat Dark Souls - feels fucking good man.
Gwyn
only took me 2-3 attempts before I figured him out and made quick work of him. Awesome game, mind blowing and awesome story/setting. Just...fucking awesome. The story is just so damn amazing.

For those interested, I played with a Great Sword, Great Shield and Pyromancy. Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn was so good! So good!

If you haven't beaten it yet, prepare your butts for Anor Londo. That is all.

Will probably do NG+ while starting DS2.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Dark Souls - feels fucking good man.
Gwyn
only took me 2-3 attempts before I figured him out and made quick work of him. Awesome game, mind blowing and awesome story/setting. Just...fucking awesome. The story is just so damn amazing.

For those interested, I played with a Great Sword, Great Shield and Pyromancy. Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn was so good! So good!

If you haven't beaten it yet, prepare your butts for Anor Londo. That is all.

Will probably do NG+ while starting DS2.

While I agree that the game is awesome, I'm not sure about the story part. Is there really one at all? Isn't it more like: "here is an awesome world, now kill everything."

Resilient

While I agree that the game is awesome, I'm not sure about the story part. Is there really one at all? Isn't it more like: "here is an awesome world, now kill everything."

I spent heaps of time reading item descriptions, talking to NPCs (before and after game changing actions) and the different covenants too. I think there is a really interesting setting, and from that, an equally intriguing story. You kinda have to look for it. I hate myself for being LTTP with this one, but the implied stuff, symbolism etc was really cool while I was playing. Then reading about stuff and theories online was just mind blowing. There's a lot there if you dig! But I will agree, the game doesn't really present in that way at all. It really is as you say :p

Morfeo

I think I will probably like the story more after playing it more, but for now, I kinda agree with Roboleon that it feels mostly like "here is a world, now kill everything". However, I had the same feeling in Demons Souls, and while the general story there isnt really that great imo, a lot of the sub-stories and background info on the different worlds felt really interesting and made me want to search it out, and I hope I will feel that way about Dark Souls as well.

Resilient

I think I will probably like the story more after playing it more, but for now, I kinda agree with Roboleon that it feels mostly like "here is a world, now kill everything". However, I had the same feeling in Demons Souls, and while the general story there isnt really that great imo, a lot of the sub-stories and background info on the different worlds felt really interesting and made me want to search it out, and I hope I will feel that way about Dark Souls as well.

You're pretty early (no offense) so it's not very fleshed out yet. Once you get to Anor Londo you'll learn a lot more about the world (if you go looking for it) and the story of the game. Anor Londo is really amazing. Also the toughest part of the game (IMO). Good luck!

Morfeo

You're pretty early (no offense) so it's not very fleshed out yet. Once you get to Anor Londo you'll learn a lot more about the world (if you go looking for it) and the story of the game. Anor Londo is really amazing. Also the toughest part of the game (IMO). Good luck!

Yeah Im sure :) Looking forward to it!

Nordicus

You're pretty early (no offense) so it's not very fleshed out yet. Once you get to Anor Londo you'll learn a lot more about the world (if you go looking for it) and the story of the game.
This is true. Heck, until Anor Londo, the lore-filled opening cinematic of the game might as well almost not exist, because not much of the stuff told there is really relevant quite yet.

LTWood12

I finally made it to the roof of Sen's! Oh my God I'm so happy! Tips for fighting the golem?

Side Question-How do people feel about the Shotel?

Top Bottom