• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm back on. Hanging out in the gardens, took an elevator down an encountered a little blue dragon, welp. The Valley of Drakes.

OMG: There's lots of them. And a big dead-looking motherfucker at the end of a ledge

Ok, so maybe I'll just go somewhere else for now

... Aaaaand a nine-headed water spitting Hydra appeared. Great

---

yeah, found the butterfly. What a push-over :p

I'm not following. Where can I get L.titanite shards?
Large shards are dropped by the slimes that fall from the ceiling, right outside the door Stormtrooper posted.

Or the leeches in Blighttown as kionedrik said, but if you're still in the Depths you might not have been to B-town yet. You can also buy them a little later on.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm back on. Hanging out in the gardens, took an elevator down an encountered a little blue dragon, welp. The Valley of Drakes.

OMG: There's lots of them. And a big dead-looking motherfucker at the end of a ledge

Ok, so maybe I'll just go somewhere else for now

... Aaaaand a nine-headed water spitting Hydra appeared. Great

N00b!

Why the fuck did anyone on the development team think blightown was even a decent idea? Worst level in a great game.

It requires some thought to make it through there and it looks cool when you can see the enormous buttresses outside the kingdom walls. Lost Izalith involves running in a straight line with a ring equipped and the place is only black and orange.

Jamesways

It requires some thought to make it through there and it looks cool when you can see the enormous buttresses outside the kingdom walls. Lost Izalith involves running in a straight line with a ring equipped and the place is only black and orange.

That's one reason I like going into Blightown. It's ugly, sure, but it's interesting to be near the top and look up and see the walls and sky and realize how it fits in geographically.

There are quite a few areas in the game that give you a sense of wonder and awe if you stop and just look up and around.

New character started last night, doing an INT build, never did one. Fun and fast so far.

Gattsu25

Banned
Why the fuck did anyone on the development team think blightown was even a decent idea? Worst level in a great game.

Blightown is my favorite area in the dark souls series. It forced me to slow down even more and pay even more attention to my surroundings, I never felt safe, and the more attention I paid the more incredibly layered details I noticed.

Morfeo

Oh my fucking god my body was not ready for the feeling of beating O&S after four days of trying - they can fuck off straight to hell both of them lol!

Thanks to everybody for the help I got with it!

Blightown is my favorite area in the dark souls series. It forced me to slow down even more and pay even more attention to my surroundings, I never felt safe, and the more attention I paid the more incredibly layered details I noticed.

I'm already doing that. Thing is BT is ugly as sin, and the frame-rate is in the potty.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Never gave much thought to the importance of having a couple of armor sets ready.

Leather armor is the shit and chainmail armor is the sucks vs lightning enemies etc.

Nordicus

If you got no blooming purple moss, then yes, basically. At that point your best move would be to double-time it to the cause of your toxin and annihilate it

Lost 5 humanity and 15k souls because a barbarian got stuck in the wall. Tried to kill him, but, none of my attacks could touch him, but, he could touch me. Anyways, he knocked me off the side.

My +10 Uchi is starting to show it's power.

Btw, why do people think Gaping Dragon is a lame fight? He was pretty fun. I nearly died because the camera spazzed out and I got run over.

If you get toxic'd and it's certain death, at least try and take out the git who did it - they don't respawn, so even if you die it's progress.

Ways of dealing with toxic:
- Blooming purple moss curres it (sold by Undead female merchant in aquaduct and dropped by tree enemies in the forest)
- Toxic yourself with dungpies for a slower acting strain
- Spider shield blocks toxic and poison 100% (Bandit starter gear, two lootables ones in the Depths and Valley of Drakes)

edit - way to go Morfeo! \o/

kionedrik

Oh my fucking god my body was not ready for the feeling of beating O&S after four days of trying - they can fuck off straight to hell both of them lol!

Thanks to everybody for the help I got with it!

You sweet summer child... you have no idea what's comming next...
Prepare to despair with Bed o Chaos, among other things.

Nordicus

Btw, why do people think Gaping Dragon is a lame fight? He was pretty fun. I nearly died because the camera spazzed out and I got run over.
The more the Gaping Dragon spams his charge pattern, the simpler the fight gets. Get to the side, whack 'im, get to the side, whack 'im. And at that point he isn't anything but a bloated bag of HP. When he decides to fight you with his limbs, the fight's somewhat interesting and has a shred of danger.

- Spider shield blocks toxic and poison 100% (Bandit starter gear, two lootables ones in the Depths and Valley of Drakes)
The Crystal Shield surprisingly also does this

I felt I could make a children's learning game out of the framerate on ps3. Count to 10 because that's as high as it gets. I don't mind slowing down but there's better ways of doing it. On to sens fortress now!

In all my hours of Dark Souls I've only done Blightown from the front the once.

Hahaha. This. I did it twice. First time it almost broke me. Second time I flew through because I knew what I was doing but lost probably 60k souls over the course of a number of dumb shit deaths. Third time I had the option I said "fuck that" and did the New Londo shortcut. So much better.

Morfeo

edit - way to go Morfeo! \o/

You sweet summer child... you have no idea what's comming next...
Prepare to despair with Bed o Chaos, among other things.

Thanks alot! It took a few days, but it was well worth doing this "the hard way" without summons :)

While I got some good advice on fighting Smough here, what I basically ended up doing was just stay very close to him for long periods of time since he more often than not would not be able to hit me there - and then roll away/hope for the best when he did his E Honda-move of butt-stomping. This would mostly work - except for the instances where I was too greedy and already had exhausted my stamina when the E Honda-move came (and thus one-hit kill me). Probably not the safest or best strategy, but I got so tired of the first fight, and never really mastered the "cling to the pillar"-strat advanced here, so for me it worked best.

Anyways, I think the way I was stuck here was really good for my game for a few reasons. Firstly, it forced me to go back and "clean up" a bit, getting the Havel ring most importantly, and also starting to forge special weapons like Quelaags Furyblade. The fact that the Giant Blacksmith was so close, also meant I was able to stockpile a ton of different crafting materials - and also upgrade most of my gear to either +5 or +10. Lastly, I am confident the fight greatly increased my skill at dodging/rolling - a techinque I mastered pretty well when I played Demons Souls, but hadnt really had any good reason to relearn here. All in all I am seriously looking forward to continue tomorrow!

As for the current discussion: Blighttown was very overrated and quite easy!

Why? Its a swamp city covered by poison, insect and Orcs on the bottom but cornered with Orcs and Drakes and OMG a worm!!!! and freaking insects on the exit of course they had to survive somehow.

In all my hours of Dark Souls I've only done Blightown from the front the once.

I bet it likes it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks alot! It took a few days, but it was well worth doing this "the hard way" without summons :)

Four days to kill a boss? I just killed one in five minutes. And you're calling me a noob. No wonder you're just a teeny tiny tad ahead of me with probably 60 hours more put in

Git gud, mate :p

Foxyone

Is there a recommended level to be for the most pvp action? Anor Londo at SL50 doesn't seem too bad, although I was wondering if another area or level is preferred.

Is there a recommended level to be for the most pvp action? Anor Londo at SL50 doesn't seem too bad, although I was wondering if another area or level is preferred.

The level for multiplayer is generally dependent on the zone. You're in the right range for Anor Londo and the rest of the game. If you want a lot of PvP, go to Oolacile Township.

When you finish the game, go up to level 120 and hang out in the forest beyond the Seal of Artorias.

StuBurns

Banned
Hi guys, quick question, is the console Prepare To Die edition actually a different disc image or is it the normal game with the DLC voucher in the box?

Morfeo

Four days to kill a boss? I just killed one in five minutes. And you're calling me a noob. No wonder you're just a teeny tiny tad ahead of me with probably 60 hours more put in

Git gud, mate :p

I went and checked out that butterfly, and that was the most underwhelming shit Ive ever fought. Didnt even understand it was a boss fight before it was dead lol. How was that thing even supposed to be able to deal out damage? Ah whatever, dead now.

Morfeo

Hi guys, quick question, is the console Prepare To Die edition actually a different disc image or is it the normal game with the DLC voucher in the box?

I have this edition, and dont remember seing any dlc voucher, so would guess its all on disc?

Nordicus

I went and checked out that butterfly, and that was the most underwhelming shit Ive ever fought. Didnt even understand it was a boss fight before it was dead lol. How was that thing even supposed to be able to deal out damage? Ah whatever, dead now.
You're usually meant to kill the Moonlight Butterfly before/after the Bell Gargoyles. It's no wonder if it didn't even put up a fight

Morfeo

You're usually meant to kill the Moonlight Butterfly before/after the Bell Gargoyles. It's no wonder if it didn't even put up a fight

Ah ok, I have just followed the general story progression so far I guess, meaning I havent really had a reason to go to the garden before, but I guess that makes sense yeah.

Morfeo

No it's just you being vanquished as a spirit of vengeance.

Ok thanks. Did it on my second try anyways. Scaled the stairs on the left, sent an arrow which made them all run up, and for some reason the magician came first, so he was already dead when the other two arrived, making the fight much easier and actually helped me do the fight without loosing health!

Morfeo

Is there an easy way out of BlightTown? I'm kinda in it for the long haul and don't wanna climb all he way back up.

There is another way out, but its at the bottom close to the bonfire. I would just finish up this area so you wont have to return, at least that is what I did.

Morfeo

I dropped my controller and it hit the r2-button - making me attack Siegmayer of Catarina :( I instantly turned off the PS3 so hoped it didnt save it - would suck to not be able to help him onwards!

There is another way out, but its at the bottom close to the bonfire. I would just finish up this area so you wont have to return, at least that is what I did.

Argh, Blight Town really sucks. The frame-rate is in the toilet. Maybe it's ok on the higher end PCs, but, not on consoles.

Morfeo

You can go to the guy at the base of the tower of the first bell to make NPCs like you again.

Yeah guess that is the solution to this mess.

Argh, Blight Town really sucks. The frame-rate is in the toilet. Maybe it's ok on the higher end PCs, but, not on consoles.

The framerate really does suck, but I think the area itself isnt really that hard. Where do you struggle?

Top Bottom