• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Overdoziz

Banned
I am now beating Ormstein without taking damage lol - but still mess up on super-Smough!
Just stick really close to a pillar so Smough is on the other side. Right after he does an attack you can run up to him and hit him one or two times. Keep doing this while Smough is stuck behind a pillar and it's just a matter of time before you kill him.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So close..... :(

I was one hit from doing it, but got carried away and went all in instead of retreating and healing :(

Mistel

Banned
I was one hit from doing it, but got carried away and went all in instead of retreating and healing :(
tumblr_n54axlKRJi1rhe2mdo1_250.gif

Bad bad Morfeo :p.

What the fuck just happened?! What the fuck am I crazy? I went to the Blacksmith in Undead Parish, and in that Church was this weird dark spirit under the ground. It didn't attack, iot just stood there. All that I saw of it was a 3 crowned head poking up from the floor. It gave me twin humanities. I'm like confused. What the fuck just happened?

Booshka

What the fuck just happened?! What the fuck am I crazy? I went to the Blacksmith in Undead Parish, and in that Church was this weird dark spirit under the ground. It didn't attack, iot just stood there. All that I saw of it was a 3 crowned head poking up from the floor. It gave me twin humanities. I'm like confused. What the fuck just happened?

vagrantwiki.png

Somebody in their game lost a bloodstain, and it spawned a Vagrant in your game.

Very rare mechanic of Dark Souls online.

Chitown B

can anyone on Xbox 360 around level 90 help me with killing Smough and then Ornstein?

I'll be online after 10PM/CST. I also need some weapons for the achieves if you don't mind :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

vagrantwiki.png

Somebody in their game lost a bloodstain, and it spawned a Vagrant in your game.

Very rare mechanic of Dark Souls online.

Lol this game is so awesome!

Jamesways

Any tips on Gwyn other than "dude, parry".

I'm on NG++++ and he's absolutely kicking my ass. I can get a parry pretty decent, but he's really mixing up his attacks quite a bit.

Main problem is you get hit twice, done.

Trying Havels' gear, black knight shield, Hornet Ring, +15 Uchigatana, or +4 Crystal Murakumo, buffing with Sunlight blade, str and dex both at 40. Even Parrying, both don't do that much damage at this point, probably 1000 or less.

I've heard Iron Flesh used to work wonders, but it's been nerfed to almost useless this fight. Also heard divine weapons might work really well.

I guess it's just practice, practice, practice.

Nordicus

EDIT: Ya know what, totally didn't read the "NG++++" part so none of this matter probably

Any tips on Gwyn other than "dude, parry".
It's always better to parry the 2nd or 3rd attack of any combo because the the timing becomes more predictable.

Gwyn has 1-handed and 2-handed combos, but each are at max 4 hits long, usually 3. Use footwork to stay just beyond his reach, bait the combos, then punish the final attack because he can't continue very quickly right after a combo's just ended.

Usually when he hops back, he's about to do a big jumping attack, you're safest if you roll towards him. Also remember to punish his throw after it misses.

Wow, I beat S/O first try. I cheated a little by summoning solaire. I didn't think he'd be useful, but, he provided a nice distraction. I admit I got lucky, I really got super lucky. I didn't beat it onmy own.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sorry Jamesways but it really is just "dude, parry" at this point in the game. If you don't know how to reliably parry at NG++++ idk what to tell you besides practice more on the knights in the Kiln.

Keep in mind that if you can parry him just once, you lock him into a combo of extremely easy parries.

So it's all really decided after the first blow.

1) Enter fog gate

2) As he runs toward you to attack you can roll or block, but stay close.

3) If he moves to grab, you have to dodge. Otherwise he'll slash at you, in which case you can either:

3a) Eat the attack if you have the poise to not get stunned, and prepare to parry the second swing

3b) Block if you have enough stamina to still parry after the first attack or dodge roll (unless you have fat roll).

4) Whichever the case, his second swing is often an easily parry-able horizontal slash. If you can parry him here, right after the critical you have a 1 second window to swig an estus if you chose to do 3a or apply a buff otherwise.

5) Immediately after he will stand up and do a horizontal slash again, rinse and repeat from 4.

Booshka

can anyone on Xbox 360 around level 90 help me with killing Smough and then Ornstein?

I'll be online after 10PM/CST. I also need some weapons for the achieves if you don't mind :)

I can help, not sure about the weapons, I may have some, but I have a SL 100 that I can help you with.

send my GT a message-Booshka

Nordicus

Wow, I beat S/O first try. I cheated a little by summoning solaire. I didn't think he'd be useful, but, he provided a nice distraction. I admit I got lucky, I really got super lucky. I didn't beat it onmy own.
Yeah, when Solaire helps, he really helps. I've had him manage to kill the boss that I meant to save for last several times. In fact that happened just less than an hour ago. I wanted to save Ornstein for last but he killed him and I had to Homeward Bone out of the fight.

After beating that fight 3 times I've become less afraid of Smough's hammer and realize that if you're essentially hugging his belly, his basic swings just will not hit you

Jamesways

Sorry Jamesways but it really is just "dude, parry" at this point in the game. If you don't know how to reliably parry at NG++++ idk what to tell you besides practice more on the knights in the Kiln.

Keep in mind that if you can parry him just once, you lock him into a combo of extremely easy parries.
So it's all really decided after the first blow.

1) Enter fog gate

2) As he runs toward you to attack you can roll or block, but stay close.

3) If he moves to grab, you have to dodge. Otherwise he'll slash at you, in which case you can either:

3a) Eat the attack if you have the poise to not get stunned, and prepare to parry the second swing

3b) Block if you have enough stamina to still parry after the first attack or dodge roll (unless you have fat roll).

4) Whichever the case, his second swing is often an easily parry-able horizontal slash. If you can parry him here, right after the critical you have a 1 second window to swig an estus if you chose to do 3a or apply a buff otherwise.

5) Immediately after he will stand up and do a horizontal slash again, rinse and repeat from 4.

I can parry fairly consistently at this point for sure. What's throwing me off is what you said, the bolded, parry once and you should lock him into a easy parry combo. He's not doing it this time, driving me nuts. I get a parry, prepare for him to stand and do what he normally does, and he either kicks, jumps back, or goes for the grab. Really throwing me off this time.
It's interesting that the usual pattern is a bit different this time. Ah I'll get him with some practice.

Thanks guys.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I can parry fairly consistently at this point for sure. What's throwing me off is what you said, the bolded, parry once and you should lock him into a easy parry combo. He's not doing it this time, driving me nuts. I get a parry, prepare for him to stand and do what he normally does, and he either kicks, jumps back, or goes for the grab. Really throwing me off this time.
It's interesting that the usual pattern is a bit different this time. Ah I'll get him with some practice.

Thanks guys.
Hmm, it could be they mixed up his patterns in subsequent NGs but I remember fighting him in NG+3 using the same strategy. Gwyn is trolling you!

Booshka

Thanks guys.

If you turtle behind your shield after you have riposted him, he will go for a kick or grab, or jump away. You need to let up on your shield so his AI doesn't attempt to break your guard. Then when he starts to attack, block and set up the second swing parry. Cycle his AI this way until he dies. Also, use a +15 Rapier for much higher Crit damage, don't worry about buffing it.

Jamesways

Hmm, it could be they mixed up his patterns in subsequent NGs but I remember fighting him in NG+3 using the same strategy. Gwyn is trolling you!

If you turtle behind your shield after you have riposted him, he will go for a kick or grab, or jump away. You need to let up on your shield so his AI doesn't attempt to break your guard. Then when he starts to attack, block and set up the second swing parry. Cycle his AI this way until he dies. Also, use a +15 Rapier for much higher Crit damage, don't worry about buffing it.

Tried again just now, got him to do the same pattern to riposte. Finally. But messed up the last parry and died. So close, but will get him soon.

Good advice on dropping the shield, that seems to work much better.

Any tip of defeating the Hydra in Ash Lake ? it's kicking my ass DX

I am a Warrior BTW.
Get (and stay) close and it will stop doing the magic breath attack and switch to it's head attacks. When the heads come down, attack.

I prefer to fight it in the area in front of the ladder but I think most people choose to fight around where the Knight set is. You can also cheese with arrows from behind the rock and tree there, there's a sweetspot you can find where the splash off from the magic can't hit you - not as much fun as melee though! :)

Joei

Get (and stay) close and it will stop doing the magic breath attack and switch to it's head attacks. When the heads come down, attack.

I prefer to fight it in the area in front of the ladder but I think most people choose to fight around where the Knight set is. You can also cheese with arrows from behind the rock and tree there, there's a sweetspot you can find where the splash off from the magic can't hit you - not as much fun as melee though! :)

Pretty much what this says. I was having a hard time in NG+ cause I kept trying to range fight him and those water blasts were killing me in like two hits. Once you get close and the hydra switches to head attacks, it's a very easy fight, the trick is just getting close enough to get him in that attack pattern without getting killed. The spot where the Knight set is one of the better spots to get the hydra to switch to head attacks.

zma1013

Is the online community still active on Dark Souls 1 for PC? And should I start up a game now or wait for GFWL removal?

Jamesways

Ok, so Gwyn downed once again.

What's people Str weapon of choice? I've always stuck with Dex weapons, thinking of big bruising types next time.

People say DSII enemies are predictable? Well, what do you call black Knights/Stone knights etc? Black Knights have such an obvious attack pattern, they're predictable. I was fighting a pikeman Knight and the entire time he only used 2 moves. 2 moves.

Why the fuck are the Stone Knights so powerful? They wouldn't be so bad, but, that slow AOE fuck that. FUCK THEM TO HELL. It royally fucks you. You can't roll, you can't do anything but pray to god you don't die.

Inskipp

Why the fuck are the Stone Knights so powerful? They wouldn't be so bad, but, that slow AOE fuck that. FUCK THEM TO HELL. It royally fucks you. You can't roll, you can't do anything but pray to god you don't die.
The slow lasts for 10 seconds and it has one of the longest telegraph times out of any move. It's really easy to avoid.

Jaeger

Yea, those guys are assholes. I want their weapon (Stone Axe, I think it's called), but after 3 hours of trying to get the Obsidian Greatsword off Kalameet, I'm done with weapon farming at this point. Although I'm sure it would only take a second to get one off one of them.

Next stop for me is to take out Petrus, get Wrath of the Gods and Homeward off of Reah, and finish reinforcing all my weapons as much as possible.

The TWoP effect on their sword has an AoE effect that lasts for a shortwhile even after the cast animation has finished that's probably why you're getting caught by it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread while multi-tabbing and even edited the comment before I realized my mistake.

I don't remember exactly when I last played this game but it was at least 2 years ago. I just finished the PC version of DS2 and started playing the PC version of this for the first time (previously completed this on 360 before any DLC was added).

I find this game so refreshing. The character movement feels so much better and the game is just so much snappier. Your character moves faster, blocks faster, parries faster, ripostes faster, attacks faster, dodges faster, heals faster, etc. Even the dialog in this game is much faster with the actors reading through each line quicker, and the delay between each subtitled line of dialog being around a half a second faster each time.

The enemies don't have the same insane tracking (enemies no longer track >360 degrees while preparing a downward sword swipe!) and the combat just seems so much more engaging, as a whole, in large part due to the increased speed of everything.

I've just finished the Taurus (and opted to get the Old Witch Ring as my gift to force myself through the intended environment progression) and I'm pretty sure my next step will be to download DSfix and up the internal resolution. Also, I had no problems with GFWL outside of one forced game reset which I think is the first time I never had to muck around in the control panel to get a GFWL game to play.

I have a much greater understanding of the equipment system this time around, most of it knowledge that I picked up for the first time while playing DS2. Not so much on the data shown in the equipment screen but more on the importance of upgrading your armor. Prior to DS2, the only equipment I've ever upgraded were my weapons and usually I started to upgrade them before the final boss of each prior game.

I'm having a tough time in Catacombs. Too many skeletons, and the mages, if they aren'tkilling me with explosions they're running away while a dozen skeletons gank me. I can fight up to 3 at once, but, 10? No chance. Not when they constantly revive. This place wouldn't be difficult, its just they throw so many enemies at you it's really fucking tough.

I'm having a tough time in Catacombs. Too many skeletons, and the mages, if they aren'tkilling me with explosions they're running away while a dozen skeletons gank me. I can fight up to 3 at once, but, 10? No chance. Not when they constantly revive.

Kill the Necromancers, as long as they live the skeletons won't die.

Mistel

Banned
I'm having a tough time in Catacombs. Too many skeletons, and the mages, if they aren'tkilling me with explosions they're running away while a dozen skeletons gank me. I can fight up to 3 at once, but, 10? No chance. Not when they constantly revive. This place wouldn't be difficult, its just they throw so many enemies at you it's really fucking tough.
Kill the necromancers then they can't be revived.

yeah, I figured that. Thing is killing them is easier said then done, as chasing them down gets me aggro with about half a dozen angry skeletons.

Jamesways

yeah, I figured that. Thing is killing them is easier said then done, as chasing them down gets me aggro with about half a dozen angry skeletons.

Do you have a Divine weapon yet? You can get an Occult Club in Anor Londo and convert it to a Divine +5 at the Undead Parish Blacksmith.

Or use a Silver Knight Spear. Then they stay down for good even if you haven't killed the area Necormancer.

Top Bottom