• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Also remember that crystal stuff cant be repaired, so when its durability falls under the limit, its basically useless. I would get a regular longsword and start to upgrade that at Andre!

Yeah, I've started on upgrading one, but it's pretty far behind still. Got my own tools as well, so I try to upgrade at every bonfire

Mistel

Banned
Also remember that crystal stuff cant be repaired, so when its durability falls under the limit, its basically useless. I would get a regular longsword and start to upgrade that at Andre!
Some of the crystal stuff you buy is nice like the crystal shield.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah Drake Sword is the best weapon, just keep using it the whole game, it won't ever let you down.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What was all that glowy shit on the walls and in piles (that sometimes spews blood or something when you slash it) down in the depths anyway?

The depths are fucking disgusting, one of the worst areas I've played in my life, creepy-wise

Mistel

Banned
They were these:
slime-large.jpg

They are good for farming large shards and green titanite early on.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You'll love the next area then!

Yes, I'm already there. Down in the bottom, next to the windmill elevator thingy

Let's just say I'm glad I spent a fair amount of time in the DR Gardens before this hell hole

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
What was all that glowy shit on the walls and in piles (that sometimes spews blood or something when you slash it) down in the depths anyway?

The depths are fucking disgusting, one of the worst areas I've played in my life, creepy-wise

It was other stuff with the curse, wasnt it?

Anyways, I went through the Valley of Drakes which I guess was only a way to get from different places fast - almost makes me sad I have fasttravel now as it makes this area more or less completely useless. Anyways, that led me back to New Londo which is where I am now without a clue on how to harm the ghosts :(

Morfeo

Have you tried breaking any pots with corpses in New Londo, perhaps?

Yeah, it held a curse item or something. So that is it then? I usually play very slow, so not sure only two will be enough - is there a place I can go to stock up a few before I tackle the area?

Nordicus

Yeah, it held a curse item or something. So that is it then?
Yes the curse item or something is what you need, if you read the full description. Or you can always get cursed by the basilisks in the Depths and be able to permanently touch the ghosts.

I usually play very slow, so not sure only two will be enough - is there a place I can go to stock up a few before I tackle the area?
The moss lady sells them for a whole lot of souls

Morfeo

I kinda rushed it since the curse only last for a short while, and yeah, very predictably, that became my doom as I suddenly got surrounded by four ghosts JUST as the curse actually did run out :( I was dead before I realized. Oh well, except for the limited curse-item limitation, the level seemed awesome .Hope I get something that lets me explore more freely later though, as for now, I just felt I had to run through it to get to whatever before my Curse-items ran out.

shiroryu

Dumb question. I'm now frequently taking that long ladder down from the Undead Burg/Parish bridge down to Lower Undead Burg. How do I fast slide down ladders?

There's an easier way to get to Capra; it involves opening a shortcut
if you take a right from the fog gate.

789shadow

Banned
I kinda rushed it since the curse only last for a short while, and yeah, very predictably, that became my doom as I suddenly got surrounded by four ghosts JUST as the curse actually did run out :( I was dead before I realized. Oh well, except for the limited curse-item limitation, the level seemed awesome .Hope I get something that lets me explore more freely later though, as for now, I just felt I had to run through it to get to whatever before my Curse-items ran out.
Fortunately the ghosts drop those Transient Curses at a great rate even at base item discovery.

So, I decided to play Dark Souls 1 on PC for the first time and got done with a 6 hour session because I was having a good time. But then, once I got back from work the next day I found that none of it saved, 6 hours gone. Does this game not auto save when in offline mode now that GFWL is gone. How can I assure that my game will save the next time? Is my save somewhere but unacceptable? Do I need all of the mod stuff just to get the game to save my progress?

I also appreciate this.

Jaeger

Beat Seath today after about 3 tries, and with one other person helping me out. He actually wasn't that hard. Now the other three Lord Souls, and I should be done. I think I'm gonna level up my spell in the Gravelord Covenant before I kill Nito.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ugh, I can't get Dusk of Oolacile's summon sign to appear. There's actual a dead hollow (male) body where it should be, but I never killed her or anything.

I saved her, talked to her, explored a little of Dusk, now when I come back to summon her the sign's not there. What gives??

Jaeger

Ugh, I can't get Dusk of Oolacile's summon sign to appear. There's actual a dead hollow (male) body where it should be, but I never killed her or anything.

I saved her, talked to her, explored a little of Dusk, now when I come back to summon her the sign's not there. What gives??

Did you get the Broken Pendant? if you did, you can't summon her anymore.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I love this game but being able to attack blacksmiths has to be the by far stupidest design decision in the game. I accidentally hit the giant and it's going to cost me 500K souls to calm him. Allowing them to aggro adds no challenge whatsoever to the game and I see no point why it's in the game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It was other stuff with the curse, wasnt it?

Anyways, I went through the Valley of Drakes which I guess was only a way to get from different places fast - almost makes me sad I have fasttravel now as it makes this area more or less completely useless. Anyways, that led me back to New Londo which is where I am now without a clue on how to harm the ghosts :(

Curse are from those fucking repulsive big-eyed frogs

Jaeger

I love this game but being able to attack blacksmiths has to be the by far stupidest design decision in the game. I accidentally hit the giant and it's going to cost me 500K souls to calm him. Allowing them to aggro adds no challenge whatsoever to the game and I see no point why it's in the game.

Just put away your weapons as you enter his area, if you can't keep yourself from pressing the attack buttons.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
oh, I'm back in the Valley of Drakes again ?

btw: the big trolls must be the dumbest AI in the game. just lure them out on the ledges and they'll happily plunge to their death :p

edit: lol, Undead dragon. What a thoroughly ridiculous fight. Maybe it helped a lot that I already wore Shadow gear since I came from Blighttown? Almost butterfly-level of easy

question: once I've attuned a spell, I can't change it right? I need more atunement slots?

New Londo is awesome, but I need some more humanity to farm more Transient Curse I guess. Used the two I had and slayed a bit, got a firekeeper soul, yeay :) Time to have make a date with the mute

kionedrik

question: once I've attuned a spell, I can't change it right? I need more atunement slots?

New Londo is awesome, but I need some more humanity to farm more Transient Curse I guess. Used the two I had and slayed a bit, got a firekeeper soul, yeay :) Time to have make a date with the mute

You can change it by resting at a bonfire and selecting the already attuned spell.

You can buy curses from the female undead merchant in the waterway leading to the depths entrance from firelink.

Btw, Anastacia does not approve of being called a mute. She's just shy.

Finally beat Ornstein and Smough for the first time on Sunday. Jesus Christ, those bastards nearly broke my heart. It took countless attempts.

On my way to fight Sif now in Darkroot garden, I bought the crest of Artorias from Andre, and I've opened up the gate with it. I'm getting attacked by guys that look like phantom knights, who are a bit tricky.

Also, I found this path that led me up to a number of giant rats that nearly got the better of me. Made it back to the bonfire beside the gate for some rest and then turned off the game. I'll return to it soon enough. I hope there are no more roadblocks like Ornstein and Smough. They (and the archers leading up to them) set me off-course for months.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
that motherfucker way down in the watchtower basement though

a tiny bit too late or too early with your dodge and you're stew

edit: Well I guess that ring will be extremely helpful

You can change it by resting at a bonfire and selecting the already attuned spell.

You can buy curses from the female undead merchant in the waterway leading to the depths entrance from firelink.

Btw, Anastacia does not approve of being called a mute. She's just shy.

Ah, thanks! I seldom have time for spells anyway, but I guess some fireworks could he helpful against e.g. those flying poison throwing mosquitoes in Blighttown etc.

Is that her name? The lady inside the fence down in the Firelink Shrine?

Mistel

Banned
Don't swing your weapons around unless you want them dead.

Thrak360

Neo Member
By the time it drops, you'll almost certainly have acquired the 9 titanite shards needed to upgrade it to +5 straight away.
Well I have 8 shards before even trying to farm the shield. So I'll easily have enough to get a shield and weapon to +5.

Is there an optimal humanity level to increase odds of drops? I was farming in the Parish last night with 4 humanity. A Wiki I looked at listed the Balder Side Sword, Balder Shield, Rapier, and Buckler - all as Rare drops. But those Rapier and Buckler guys drip their shit a whole lot easier it seems. So either I have bad luck, or Side Sword and Shield are a more rare drop.

daninthemix

Well I have 8 shards before even trying to farm the shield. So I'll easily have enough to get a shield and weapon to +5.

Is there an optimal humanity level to increase odds of drops? I was farming in the Parish last night with 4 humanity. A Wiki I looked at listed the Balder Side Sword, Balder Shield, Rapier, and Buckler - all as Rare drops. But those Rapier and Buckler guys drip their shit a whole lot easier it seems. So either I have bad luck, or Side Sword and Shield are a more rare drop.

Item discovery no longer increases after 10 humanity, but even 1 gives you a big boost (with diminishing returns after 1).

Drops are funny. Sometimes, you get nothing, and sometimes five enemies in a row will drop rare items. Case in point - just now I managed to get 3 titanite slabs from the lizards of the Great Hollow. I usually get none, with 1 being very rare and 3 impossible, frankly.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Hmmm. Quite sure I have no gear or items to enhance discovery. So I think I'll just try my luck for awhile with a handful of humanity. Worst case, I give up farming, buy a Kite Shield and upgrade to +5, then buy a Balder Shield later on. It's not like the shards are hard to come by. Thanks all!

GRIP

It really isn't hard to not attack things if you don't want to and every other NPC in the game can be aggro'd so why not blacksmiths as well?

Oh, and about Dusk and her summon sign disappearing. Once you do all the quest requirements to access the DLC you have to go to her summon sign BEFORE entering Oolacile. If you don't you have to wait until you defeat the main boss to be able to summon her and get her gear.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, was this fight suppose to be such a walk-over or did I just get extremely luck?

All it did was spewing out that poisonous stuff, and maybe one or two tail slaps.

Mistel

Banned
Seriously, was this fight suppose to be such a walk-over or did I just get extremely luck?

All it did was spewing out that poisonous stuff, and maybe one or two tail slaps.
They are quite easy I think. I like how their dismembered lower half present more of a risk lol.

Git gud with the drake sword I see. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
They are quite easy I think. I like how their dismembered lower half present more of a risk lol.

Git gud with the drake sword I see. :p

lulz

Yeah, I didn't enjoy the Crystal big Sword so much. I found the Astora sword, which I'm liking the looks and feels of, but I need to be moar holy before I can use it effectively :p

Top Bottom