• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

kionedrik

How bad are the hackers on PC?

Is there anything they can do other than kill me in impossible ways and break my armor?

I haven't played in over a month, but occasionally I've found people with infinite health and/or stamina. Curiously, GFWL told me they were always from the same country.

Oolacile and the Kiln are hacker-free as far as my experience goes. AL and the forest not so much.

Mistel

Banned
lulz

Yeah, I didn't enjoy the Crystal big Sword so much. I found the Astoria sword, which I'm liking the looks and feels of, but I need to be moar holy before I can use it effectively :p
With 3 upgrades the Astoria is stronger than a drake sword if that interests you. By crystal big sword you mean a crystal greatsword?

Jamesways

Drake Sword, first time through I didn't understand the scoffing either. I thought I was invincible, end game gear, bosses will drop like butter.

Then I hit the wall that is Sen's Fortress. Back at square one with no upgraded weapon. Lighting Spear transition is just ok, but doesn't pack a huge punch in Anor Londo either.

So I was screwed until I could level up or convert a weapon. I had been leveling up Vit and End to no end, but not gear. Total wrong way of doing it in retrospect IMO.

Now, after 4 playthroughs of one character and starting a new one from scratch, leveing gear first and foremost, then stats.

In the depths right now, already have a Uchi +10, and the pyro glove at +15, yeah baby. Slimes take only 1 combustion, drop shards pretty regularly, you can level up stuff super fast here.

Almost everyone I helped on the Gaping dragon the past few days was using the Drake Sword. Wanted to msg them saying ditch that crutch post haste, but they'll figure it out.

daninthemix

Drake Sword, first time through I didn't understand the scoffing either. I thought I was invincible, end game gear, bosses will drop like butter.

Then I hit the wall that is Sen's Fortress. Back at square one with no upgraded weapon. Lighting Spear transition is just ok, but doesn't pack a huge punch in Anor Londo either.

So I was screwed until I could level up or convert a weapon. I had been leveling up Vit and End to no end, but not gear. Total wrong way of doing it in retrospect IMO.

Now, after 4 playthroughs of one character and starting a new one from scratch, leveing gear first and foremost, then stats.

In the depths right now, already have a Uchi +10, and the pyro glove at +15, yeah baby. Slimes take only 1 combustion, drop shards pretty regularly, you can level up stuff super fast here.

Almost everyone I helped on the Gaping dragon the past few days was using the Drake Sword. Wanted to msg them saying ditch that crutch post haste, but they'll figure it out.

Frankly I don't see the issue, as long as players are aware that it will peter out around Blighttown/Sens.

Using the Drake allows me to get to and farm the parish quicker so I can +5 a weapon and shield. It's not like you become some invalid after swinging twice with the Drake Sword. The hate against it is bizarrely out of hand. It's just another choice - of which Dark Souls offers many.

Jamesways

Frankly I don't see the issue, as long as players are aware that it will peter out around Blighttown/Sens.

Using the Drake allows me to get to and farm the parish quicker so I can +5 a weapon and shield. It's not like you become some invalid after swinging twice with the Drake Sword. The hate against it is bizarrely out of hand. It's just another choice - of which Dark Souls offers many.

Yeah, that's the key. I was pretty discouraged the first time through, I didn't have any other weapon option at that point.

I don't hate it, or that people use it, that's fine and it speeds things up, just hope people don't get screwed because they didn't have other weapons like I did.

daninthemix

Yeah, that's the key. I was pretty discouraged the first time through, I didn't have any other weapon option at that point.

I don't hate it, or that people use it, that's fine and it speeds things up, just hope people don't get screwed because they didn't have other weapons like I did.

Yeah, Sens in particular can present a huge difficulty spike if you're not expecting it. Those serpent men seem to have double the HP and defense of any previous enemies.

Even going in there with a +10 Gargoyle Halberd - probably one of the best weapons you could be wielding by that point - you still have to be careful.

I actually think it may be worth going in to New Londo first, killing the sorcerer to get his key, draining the water and grabbing the very large ember first, though maybe that's overkill.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yes, Drake Sword is just another choice. Just like the flipping havel mages of 1.05. And then giant dads. And then dark magic. Truly paragons of skill.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Haha

I see how it is

You can "lol no skillz" the drake sword as much as you like

I just want to kill stuff and have the time of my life with this game, and as long as the sword does a satisfying job at that I couldn't give much less of a fuck really :p

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just ignore the bitterness and have fun with the game the way you want to. That's the true dark souls =D

Mistel

Banned
ibcRlzRGAYOdNr.gif

Go big or go home I think.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very open for suggestions for good straightsword builds though :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Silver Knight Straight Sword & Balder Side Sword are both great, BSS is my personal favorite for the accurate and agile move set while still being able to be enchanted. Barbed Straight Sword might be fun for a bleed build.

Also Storm, I love Tarkus so much I named a Dungeons and Dragons character after him and slaughtered hundreds of monsters in the Iron Man's name.

daninthemix

Just got my first ever slab from the darkwraiths. That makes 4 slabs before Anor Londo. By the time I go there, I'll have:

Longbow +15
Manserpent Greatsword +15
Gargoyle Halberd +15
Balder Shield +15

And a +10 Kite shield in case I want the Artorias Greatshield later on.

Definitely think it's worth flushing New Londo as soon as possible, to get the large ember and to farm the wraiths.

Jamesways

I used the Silver Knight Sword a while too, it was decent.
Last runthrough I used Solaire's Sunlight Straight Sword, I liked it, similar move set as the Silver Knight Sword, but it scaled with both STR and Dex, so it was more powerful at 40 and 40 in each.

Edit- daninthemix, damn! All before Anor Londo. I'm giong to try to do the same, at least get some stuff to +14 in New Londo Ruins, I haven't had good luck with slab drops with them. Maybe even go there before hitting Blightown.

daninthemix

I used the Silver Knight Sword a while too, it was decent.
Last runthrough I used Solaire's Sunlight Straight Sword, I liked it, similar move set as the Silver Knight Sword, but it scaled with both STR and Dex, so it was more powerful at 40 and 40 in each.

Edit- daninthemix, damn! All before Anor Londo. I'm giong to try to do the same, at least get some stuff to +14 in New Londo Ruins, I haven't had good luck with slab drops with them. Maybe even go there before hitting Blightown.

I have only had one slab drop from the wraiths, and killed probably 500 of them. But I got really lucky with the lizards in the Great Hollow - they dropped 3 slabs (I was human with 10 humanity, fyi).

Haha

I see how it is

You can "lol no skillz" the drake sword as much as you like

I just want to kill stuff and have the time of my life with this game, and as long as the sword does a satisfying job at that I couldn't give much less of a fuck really :p

We only talk down the Noob Sword for your own good, we don't want you to end up trapped and frustrated later.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Defeat the Stray Demon
Found in a treasure chest in the DLC area
Super rare drop by darkwraiths

Thanks! Stray Demon is Undead Asylum right?

Also, I am probably going to use it to upgrade my Claymore to +15 and is now using that, however, the Black Knight Sword also does some insane damage without being upgraded (but needs pricier upgrade material), so I am considering changing for that. Any thoughs on this?

Booshka

Also, I am probably going to use it to upgrade my Claymore to +15 and is now using that, however, the Black Knight Sword also does some insane damage without being upgraded (but needs pricier upgrade material), so I am considering changing for that. Any thoughs on this?

Claymore will benefit more from your stat investment, weighs less, has a better moveset and can be buffed with spells and resins. Black Knight Sword is easier to upgrade and will do comparable damage to a +15 Claymore. If you keep your STR/DEX stats lower, then BKS might be better because it gets most of its damage from base damage and upgrading, unlike the Claymore which gets equal damage boost from upgrading and stat investment.

I always suggest using weapons that require a little more player investment and upgrading, they usually turn out better than other weapons that are easier to upgrade.

Claymore is an awesome weapon, but it has "quality" scaling (C in both Str and Dex), which doesn't change as it is upgraded.

You can fully upgrade the Black Knight Sword with Twinkling Titanite, which can be bought in unlimited quantities.

I think the Claymore has the better move set, and is faster, lighter, and can be buffed (which is huge).

If you are building a stat, Str or Dex, I recommend saving the slab for a weapon that scales well with the chosen stat. My weapon of choice is Falchion +15, which is A scaling for Dex, for example.

Here's a page where you can plan your weapon attack rating by inputting stats and upgrade path http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/weapons

Mistel

Banned

You can upgrade both in the end a claymore +15 will max out at 257 with double C's compared to 330 with C/E for a black knight sword. It depends on which moveset you like but both are equally viable.

Morfeo

Thanks for thoughtful answers! I think I will upgrade both and just see what I prefer then, after all the Twinklings can be bought, so its not such a huge deal. I have been upgrading both strength (to be able to try out new weapons) and dexterity (mainly) because I am using the Pharis Bow quite a lot, and my original plan was to pair a bow like that with an awesome dexterity-scaling weapon, but I dont think I have found one yet.

Btw the Stray Demon proved to be a much more difficult foe this second time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seriously, was this fight suppose to be such a walk-over or did I just get extremely luck?

All it did was spewing out that poisonous stuff, and maybe one or two tail slaps.

It's meant to be a sort of surprise one hit kill for early players.

After avoiding the initial attack it's really not that hard to dodge at all.

Morfeo

Falchion, katanas, and scythes are good Dex weapons, need to be upgraded to unlock full potential.

Yeah I guess I just found them too late.

Anyways, the Stray Demon was a joke when I was prepared for the falling floor. Quick - should I use the Titanite Slab for the Claymore? I think I will since its the weapon I use right now.

Booshka

Yeah I guess I just found them too late.

Anyways, the Stray Demon was a joke when I was prepared for the falling floor. Quick - should I use the Titanite Slab for the Claymore? I think I will since its the weapon I use right now.

Go for it, keep leveling your Dex to 40, the Claymore and Black Bow will both get really good damage out of Dex Scaling. If you really like the Claymore, take your STR toward 27.

Morfeo

Go for it, keep leveling your Dex to 40, the Claymore and Black Bow will both get really good damage out of Dex Scaling. If you really like the Claymore, take your STR toward 27.

Thanks - you took the decision for me, finally got the +15 Claymore! Only 24 strength and 30 dexterity for now, so seems I have some more leveling to do :)

Can't really go wrong with Claymore, Booshka has sound advice.

I don't know if you are leveling faith or int at all, I recommend at least leveling Int so you can cast Magic Weapon to use on your Claymore, you can also buy Charcoal Pine Resin from the Lady Undead Merchant (Lara Flynn-Boyle, as Jeff Green calls her) to buff you claymore with fire.

Morfeo

Can't really go wrong with Claymore, Booshka has sound advice.

I don't know if you are leveling faith or int at all, I recommend at least leveling Int so you can cast Magic Weapon to use on your Claymore, you can also buy Charcoal Pine Resin from the Lady Undead Merchant (Lara Flynn-Boyle, as Jeff Green calls her) to buff you claymore with fire.

Thanks! No, I have gone completely Str/Dex so far, but will check on this!

Morfeo

You'll have fun.

Yeah lol. Killed the first which was easy, but got killed while healing from the second one. I guess there is four? Need to be quick then! He did a grab attack that took away most of my health, so I guess I need to be on the lockout for that, but we will see :)

Morfeo

Won on the third try. Quick but fun fight. What I did was run to them so I got very close, then dual-hand that Claymore and just swing away as much as my stamina could afford and the Kings would be dead before they realized what had happened. Only time I lost a bit of health was when the third one decided it was grabbing time, but fortunately, he died quickly after, thus letting me heal up before the fourth and last. Fun!

Now where to? I guess I can go to all the Golden Doors? I only remember encountering one of them qhile playing, which was in Anor Londo, so will probably go there.

Levyne

Banned
I remember on the 4K fight in NG+, him grabbing me was actually not that bad. I forget the exact reason, but something along the lines of there being both enough time to heal and get a few hits in without having to worry about the other Kings.

Morfeo

I accidentely hit Sieglinde with my sword, so had to go farm souls to repair my sins. Anyways, what is a decent time to do the Great Hollow, Demon Ruins and the Graveyard? Also, what about the dlc-stuff?

I accidentely hit Sieglinde with my sword, so had to go farm souls to repair my sins. Anyways, what is a decent time to do the Great Hollow, Demon Ruins and the Graveyard? Also, what about the dlc-stuff?
Do those any time after Anor Londo (Great Hollow is a long way back up without the lord vessel). Graveyard you mean Catacombs?

Morfeo

Do those any time after Anor Londo (Great Hollow is a long way back up without the lord vessel). Graveyard you mean Catacombs?

Yeah I guess thats what I meant. I never traversed the graveyard in Firelink Shrine without dying so far, so I just called it Graveyard.

Anyways, went to Great Hollow and holy shit what is Siegmayer doing down here? Glad I got my redemption before meeting him (since I accidently almost killed another person from his kingdom). Anyways, this really makes me wonder - what kind of quest is this guy on anyways? Will I ever learn anything about that? I guess only time will tell!

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I guess thats what I meant. I never traversed the graveyard in Firelink Shrine without dying so far, so I just called it Graveyard.

Anyways, went to Great Hollow and holy shit what is Siegmayer doing down here? Glad I got my redemption before meeting him (since I accidently almost killed another person from his kingdom). Anyways, this really makes me wonder - what kind of quest is this guy on anyways? Will I ever learn anything about that? I guess only time will tell!
He's outside the great hollow in blightown I though.

Morfeo

He's outside the great hollow in blightown I though.

Yeah thats what I meant. Just was so surprising, I mean it was strange enough that he went back to Firelink Shrine after waiting for so long outside of Sens Fortress, but what on earth is he doing down here in this god-forsaken place?

Mistel

Banned
Yeah thats what I meant. Just was so surprising, I mean it was strange enough that he went back to Firelink Shrine after waiting for so long outside of Sens Fortress, but what on earth is he doing down here in this god-forsaken place?
Having a power nap I think, he gets about the place so does his daughter.

Morfeo

Having a power nap I think, he gets about the place so does his daughter.

Ah so she is his daughter? Well, still doesnt explain what the hell he is up to. I actually tried to google it without finding any good answers, but I guess he is just there for comic relief? Anyways, would be fun if we went to their kingdom in the sequel to shed some light on stuff like this.

Just finished this a few minutes ago. After hating it at launch and coming back years later I'm glad I did. This was a great game and I bought the black armored edition on my way home from work today to show my support to from software. The only part I hated most besides blightown was the tomb of the Giants. I didn't have a source of light for the first half and traversing that was a nightmare. I'm looking forward to jumping directly into the second one tomorrow. Hope it's as good.

Welp he went undead, being undead is merely a dishonor thing in every country in that world so he went to a "final quest" like the good old knights but he always get stuck and the chosen undead go always one step forward everytime but...

daninthemix

Was so annoying. I wanted to finish Sigmeyer's quest but when we leapt down into the poisonous pit in Lost Izalith, I did a charging R2 attack on the last octopus thing and my swing accidentally hit Sig. He turned hostile :(

Top Bottom