• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Aurongel

Have you actually gone into the DSFix file and unlocked the framerate?

Yep, even turned all the SSAO and AA off and it still runs like junk. Granted my GPU's not the best but I'm having a hard time believing that DS2 runs substantially better at 720p than DS1 does at 800x600.

Finished off S&O after deciding to take the easy way and take out S first. Then took out the Asylum Deamon, the first Hydra and Pinwheel. Then I made a rather stupid mistake of going into the Tomb of Giants with 60k souls and getting killed by the first skeleton. no worries I though I can get back easily. Then one of those exploding skull got me from behind. Oh well, I can grind the souls back if needed. I am officially caught up from where I originally stopped playing. Where to go next?

-Side-
Painted World
Ash Lake

-Story-
Tomb
Dukes
Demon Ruins
New Londo

Overdoziz

Banned
Yep, even turned all the SSAO and AA off and it still runs like junk. Granted my GPU's not the best but I'm having a hard time believing that DS2 runs substantially better at 720p than DS1 does at 800x600.
DS2 runs exponentially better than DS1 even with DSFix. What are your specs?

Finished off S&O after deciding to take the easy way and take out S first. Then took out the Asylum Deamon, the first Hydra and Pinwheel. Then I made a rather stupid mistake of going into the Tomb of Giants with 60k souls and getting killed by the first skeleton. no worries I though I can get back easily. Then one of those exploding skull got me from behind. Oh well, I can grind the souls back if needed. I am officially caught up from where I originally stopped playing. Where to go next?

-Side-
Painted World
Ash Lake

-Story-
Tomb
Dukes
Demon Ruins
New Londo
Dukes is good to do asap if you are a magic user, other than that you can do any of those, there's no specific order. New Londo is useful to do asap too if only for the loot, but you can do that any time from the start of the game.

btw, don't grind to get those 60k souls, co-op is way more profitable and a lot quicker.

Gaz_RB

Did you turn off AA and motion blur in-game?

Dukes is good to do asap if you are a magic user, other than that you can do any of those, there's no specific order. New Londo is useful to do asap too if only for the loot, but you can do that any time from the start of the game.

btw, don't grind to get those 60k souls, co-op is way more profitable and a lot quicker.

I was thinking about trying Dukes, guess I'll check it out first. Honestly, I have never done any coop in any of the DS games.

I was thinking about trying Dukes, guess I'll check it out first. Honestly, I have never done any coop in any of the DS games.
Give it a go for any boss you're in range of (O&S for example since you just did them).

Slap your (white soapstone) summon sign down at the nearest bonfire or outside the bossfog and see tens of thousands of souls roll in for just a few mins work - you can be either human or hollow and it doesn't matter if you have defeated that boss or not - no progress is made in your own game. Lots of fun, Souls isn't just about invading, helping others is fun and profitable too! :)

Ruuppa

"Quicker". If you get summoned a lot, it's a lot quicker. But it can be hair-tearingly slow as well. I like to do both grinding and co-opping in Anor Londo at the same time: Plonk the sign down and go parry some Silver Knights.

Mistel

Banned
Started a new build as an archer. When to get the composite bow fluffed up the jump no more transient curses -_- so now I've got to get some more sigh. Plus i'm not exactly Gough when it comes to accuracy.

Booshka

Started a new build as an archer. When to get the composite bow fluffed up the jump no more transient curses -_- so now I've got to get some more sigh. Plus i'm not exactly Gough when it comes to accuracy.

If you plan on using that Composite bow, Feather Arrows are an absolute must. The shot range on the Composite Bow makes firing Large Arrows at range a real pain in the ass, and you lose damage as the arrow falls down toward the ground. So swap between Feather and Large arrows, depending on the range. I imagine you will be using the Hawk ring as well, that ring will essentially solve all of your range problems, on top of the Feather arrows, you can snipe from some serious distance.

Mistel

Banned
If you plan on using that Composite bow, Feather Arrows are an absolute must. The shot range on the Composite Bow makes firing Large Arrows at range a real pain in the ass, and you lose damage as the arrow falls down toward the ground. So swap between Feather and Large arrows, depending on the range. I imagine you will be using the Hawk ring as well, that ring will essentially solve all of your range problems, on top of the Feather arrows, you can snipe from some serious distance.
That's what I'm going to do with it this build I'll swing by darkroot for the longbow to swap for my short bow then mosey on over to the parish then lower burg. That's the plan anyway. I'm going to probably not going to level up much really.

Aurongel

Did you turn off AA and motion blur in-game?

Yep. I think I'm giving up on DS1 though, it runs like flaming ass and the first six or so hours just don't seem that fun. Which is a shame too considering that I find the level design, enemy design and world layout to be FAR superior to DS2.

Ruuppa

That's what I'm going to do with it this build I'll swing by darkroot for the longbow to swap for my short bow then mosey on over to the parish then lower burg. That's the plan anyway. I'm going to probably not going to level up much really.

Being an Archer turns most bosses into jokes. Very few of them have a counter for long-range combat. Not so hot in PVP tho', and enemies with shields become huge pains in the ass.

Remember to stock up on a lot of Poison Arrows as well, they have awesome utility-value. Are you going to transition into Greatbows later?

Mistel

Banned
Being an Archer turns most bosses into jokes. Very few of them have a counter for long-range combat. Not so hot in PVP tho', and enemies with shields become huge pains in the ass.

Remember to stock up on a lot of Poison Arrows as well, they have awesome utility-value. Are you going to transition into Greatbows later?
I've noticed beforehand. I've got an estoc for PvP purposes. Maybe I might not really sure as of yet. I've got a greatbow on one of my other ones so I know what I'm doing with it.

Tarkus

I was doing some co-op/grinding in Anor Londo when I came upon some weird looking crab enemy. He was really weak and gave one humanity. Is anyone familiar with this thing?

Mistel

Banned
I was doing some co-op/grinding in Anor Londo when I came upon some weird looking crab enemy. He was really weak and gave one humanity. Is anyone familiar with this thing?
A vagrant they spawn when a player in another world dies with a large amount of humanity or dropped specific items. You fought a white one.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dealing with loose ends now.

-Went back to the painted world and killed Priscilla. Got her tail. Yes, I feel like an ass. She hit hard as hell.

-Spent forever and a day trying cut Seeth's tail off, but I got it. Killed him after a death, due to me not realizing that it wasn't poison, but the curse icon on screen...

-Journey through Dracula's castle in New Londo and killed the four kings.

-Dark Bead > Drake guarding the bridge. Finally, I killed it.

I'm pretty sure I ran across an item or npc that basically said to check Anor Londo again, so there is that to do.

I still have to take out Kalameet and Gwyn.

I think I'm gonna make a fire-sword and use some of these boss souls for souls.

Is the moonlight greatsword as awesome as it is in the Armored Core series?

Beat Sif, didn't give me too much trouble. Thinking about trying out the Demon Ruins now. I dipped my toes in it by beating Ceaseless Discharge, but seeing as he was just the first boss down there, I figured I should level up some more before I took the plunge.

Tarkus

What the hell is up with Forest Hunter Covenant? I joined to keep the npcs from attacking so I could explore. I tried the ring thinking it would be a good chance to PVP. Invaded someone and saw another phantom and host. Weird thing was they were not fighting each other...they were both coming for me. After they killed me, they both were gesturing and not fighting with each other. I thought the purpose of the other phantom was to kill the host because the invaders are on the same team.

Booshka

What the hell is up with Forest Hunter Covenant? I joined to keep the npcs from attacking so I could explore. I tried the ring thinking it would be a good chance to PVP. Invaded someone and saw another phantom and host. Weird thing was they were not fighting each other...they were both coming for me. After they killed me, they both were gesturing and not fighting with each other. I thought the purpose of the other phantom was to kill the host because the invaders are on the same team.

You got ganked son, blue phantoms are usually on your team, sometimes red phantoms are, but White and Orange Phantoms are helping the Host. Usually people summon a friend or two and just camp out as they team up on invaders, aka Ganking. That's what happened to you.

Manu

How kind of Bed of Chaos to save your progress between death. It's almost like it wants you to kill it!

So yeah, Bed of Chaos is dead. Now I'm not stopping until the Four Kings are down too.

Also, I tried Duke's Archives and regular enemies seem to be a lot harder to kill there.

daninthemix

Also, I tried Duke's Archives and regular enemies seem to be a lot harder to kill there.

Maybe, but for me it's the sheer number of them that makes it hard. You've typically got incoming fire from archers, mages, and several of the crystal hollows to deal with all at once.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Finally killed the Stray Demon, easily the boss that has taken me the most attempts thus far. But he's gone. A couple errands to run before I head back to Blighttown.

Recommendations? Now that Laurentius is at Firelink, I guess I have the opportunity to spend some souls on pyromancy. My starting class was Pyromancer, but honestly have used the fireball less and less as I have progressed. Any new pyromancy spell that is a must buy? Any that should be avoided at all cost? I assume upgrading the pyromancy flame itself is worthwhile?

Aurarian

Made some progress last night. Got my STR up to 34, made my greatshield of Artorias. Beat ornstein and smough on the first try last night in Anor Londo as well. I have some more queries. I got the firekeeper soul from Lautrec and i'm wondering whether to use it to revive the firekeeper in firelink or just keep it and upgrade my flask?

Decided to go down the Hollow and kill the hydra at Ash Lake. Ended up getting cursed not I need to go clear that up and i will then head to dukes Archive

Beat Sif, didn't give me too much trouble. Thinking about trying out the Demon Ruins now. I dipped my toes in it by beating Ceaseless Discharge, but seeing as he was just the first boss down there, I figured I should level up some more before I took the plunge.

Funny how there is a really simple way to beat him, but a fun boss non the less.

Made some progress last night. Got my STR up to 34, made my greatshield of Artorias. Beat ornstein and smough on the first try last night in Anor Londo as well. I have some more queries. I got the firekeeper soul from Lautrec and i'm wondering whether to use it to revive the firekeeper in firelink or just keep it and upgrade my flask?

You will want to return the soul to the fire keeper at firelink.

Finally killed the Stray Demon, easily the boss that has taken me the most attempts thus far. But he's gone. A couple errands to run before I head back to Blighttown.

Recommendations? Now that Laurentius is at Firelink, I guess I have the opportunity to spend some souls on pyromancy. My starting class was Pyromancer, but honestly have used the fireball less and less as I have progressed. Any new pyromancy spell that is a must buy? Any that should be avoided at all cost? I assume upgrading the pyromancy flame itself is worthwhile?
It's worthwhile upgrading it if you're going to use it, but it's quite expensive to max out. The bigger fireball spells do more damage, combustion is a very good, quick close-quarters fireblast, very useful and lots of casts. Flash Sweat also comes in handy and so does Power Within (big increase in damage, but health drains like poison) if you feel like living dangerously, great for boss fights.

Spoiler about pyromancy and an NPC location:
There is another pyromancy trainer in Blighttown who only shows up when you have upgraded the pyro flame to +10

Thrak360

Neo Member
It's worthwhile upgrading it if you're going to use it, but it's quite expensive to max out. The bigger fireball spells do more damage, combustion is a very good, quick close-quarters fireblast, very useful and lots of casts. Flash Sweat also comes in handy and so does Power Within (big increase in damage, but health drains like poison) if you feel like living dangerously, great for boss fights.

Spoiler about pyromancy and an NPC location:
There is another pyromancy trainer in Blighttown who only shows up when you have upgraded the pyro flame to +10
Thanks! I think I'll just pick up Combustion. It's cheap, I've got a slot available, and I can play around with it. I looked at the upgrade chart for the Pyromancy Flame. Yeah I am in no rush to upgrade that alot at this point, might put +1 or +2 into it at the most.

Ruuppa

Thanks! I think I'll just pick up Combustion. It's cheap, I've got a slot available, and I can play around with it. I looked at the upgrade chart for the Pyromancy Flame. Yeah I am in no rush to upgrade that alot at this point, might put +1 or +2 into it at the most.

Don't expect too much power from Combustion under +5 Flame, but it's still damn useful for a certain farming spot in the Depths.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So... I just changed my Xbox LIVE password.
Which signed me out of Dark Souls on games for windows live.

But now I can't reenter my password. The XBL popdown from the game will let me move the cursor with the Dpad but I can't erase the previous characters or enter new ones in. It just won't let me enter a new password. Is there anyway to fix this?

edit:
solved

gaming_noob

In Blighttown near where Quelaag is (before killing her) I was approached by what appeared to be a human player (I'm assuming because it was glowing red and ran after me). There were no screen warnings that another player had entered my realm like before that killed me the first time at another area. Surprisingly I killed this character without much of a fight and a message indicated I had killed Maneater Mildred.... uhhh... I was able to summon Maneater Mildred before fighting Quelaag afterwards. What was that about?!

Torraz

Had my first taste of Ornstein and Smough. Had one nearly dead, the other at half health.

Will try again tomorrow. I think I will have to focus on Ornstein first, his lightning spears hurt too much.

The hardest part will be getting to them with a reasonable amount of estus flasks left. Those knights are pretty annoying (fighting them without taking damage / attracting another monster) that is.

Hadn't played in a few days and was welcomed with a 16MB update when I loaded up the GwG version of DS. Is this the "easier" version? Any way to check on 360?

In Blighttown near where Quelaag is (before killing her) I was approached by what appeared to be a human player (I'm assuming because it was glowing red and ran after me). There were no screen warnings that another player had entered my realm like before that killed me the first time at another area. Surprisingly I killed this character without much of a fight and a message indicated I had killed Maneater Mildred.... uhhh... I was able to summon Maneater Mildred before fighting Quelaag afterwards. What was that about?!

There are some offline invaders npcs for offline gameplay but requires to be human to trigger it, Maneater mildred is one of them.

^ NPC invaders will invade when you're online too.

@gaming_noob - You'll only be invaded when in human form, and the NPC invaders drop unique loot so if you want to see all the 'side quests', it's always worth going human in a new area to see if there are any scripted invasions. Invasions will stop (human and any NPCs) when you have killed the area boss, so kill the NPC invader before the boss otherwise they're gone for good. Just a fun little extra.

Deleted the update and beat Quelagg by two-handing my Claymore. No shields from here on out in preparation for Bloodborne :p

Where should I go next? Demon Ruins?

Vico

Passed the infamous Anor londo archers, but I'm having even more trouble with the silvers Knights inside the castle.
Just too hard.

Manu

Yeah, I finally killed the Four Kings. Used Power Within and they went down easy, although I had to use a ton of Estus flasks.

Then went back to the Asylum, killed the Stray Demon and got the doll. How do I use the doll to get to Painted World?

Aurarian

Yeah, I finally killed the Four Kings. Used Power Within and they went down easy, although I had to use a ton of Estus flasks.

Then went back to the Asylum, killed the Stray Demon and got the doll. How do I use the doll to get to Painted World?

There's a painting near the back of the church in Anor Londo.

Top Bottom