• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Something strange happened... enemies respawned while I was going back to the firelink shrine, from the depths (haven't found the bonfire there yet). What the fuck ?
Yeah, that happens to me too. Game cheats, I tell ya! It seems that unlike other enemies, the Firelink enemies respawn without you resting at a bonfire. It was weird 'cause the enemies I had killed in the Parish had stayed dead.

Randam

So I'm trying to make a dexterity build. I've been using the Uchigatana but recently came across the Iaito. My question is, which is better? Or is there a better weapon for dex builds?

the are the same as far as I remember, only the move-sets are different.
see what you like more.

pretty sure that was an Oblivion joke.

ah, now i get it.
horse armor dlc!?
That said, I was wondering if someone can help identify a set of armor for me or the pieces that this person is wearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9HymRVC5YM&desktop_uri=/watch?v=n9HymRVC5YM&app=desktop

The chest and legs in particular look really great

legs are havel's and imo they look like horse feet.
chest should be ornstein's.

Yeah, that happens to me too. Game cheats, I tell ya! It seems that unlike other enemies, the Firelink enemies respawn without you resting at a bonfire. It was weird 'cause the enemies I had killed in the Parish had stayed dead.

I also had the one with the bow and arrows respawn in the Lower Burg stairs on my way back. Very weird.

Mindlog

All I want in Blighttown are the eagle shield and maybe shadow armor.
My first playthrough I underrated the very strong Pyro Buff in Blighttown. It's worth grabbing if you're coming in from that direction.

Speaking of...
Yeah, but on 4 Kings on New Game Plus you probably are going to get hit!

I always played as a glass cannon, but since Im two years out of practice, I think Im done for!
What's your setup? I went full Glass Cannon vs Four Kings+ and ripped them apart. I optimized for fast roll/magic defense, but poise would have worked just as well. Then again my solution to everything PvE is massive overwhelming DPS.

Mugen Monkey is the best tool around when looking for what armor to use. Just throw your END and weapons in then you can sort armors by anything you want. I've played the game enough where I'm frequently already using a setup similar to what I discover. Mostly just played with armors that looked neat to me and a backup set when necessary to handle invaders more efficiently.

Shawn6661

So i found no bonfire in New Londo despite searching everywhere. Talk about a bad level design decision if you ask me. Now i have to run/fight a long way to reach a boss that kicked my ass.

mannerbot

So i found no bonfire in New Londo despite searching everywhere. Talk about a bad level design decision if you ask me. Now i have to run/fight a long way to reach a boss that kicked my ass.

It's a forsaken city that was sacrificed for the good of everyone else, explain exactly how a bonfire would make any sense? And it's a short run back to 4K once you know the layout anyway.

Chitown B

My first playthrough I underrated the very strong Pyro Buff in Blighttown. It's worth grabbing if you're coming in from that direction.

Speaking of...

What's your setup? I went full Glass Cannon vs Four Kings+ and ripped them apart. I optimized for fast roll/magic defense, but poise would have worked just as well. Then again my solution to everything PvE is massive overwhelming DPS.

Mugen Monkey is the best tool around when looking for what armor to use. Just throw your END and weapons in then you can sort armors by anything you want. I've played the game enough where I'm frequently already using a setup similar to what I discover. Mostly just played with armors that looked neat to me and a backup set when necessary to handle invaders more efficiently.

thanks for the link.

this is pretty much what I have I think:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b...vZGVuLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sMSwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCww

There doesn't seem to be a way to choose + level on weapons. It just auto chooses.

mannerbot

thanks for the link.

this is pretty much what I have I think:

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b...vZGVuLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sMSwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCww

There doesn't seem to be a way to choose + level on weapons. It just auto chooses.

Blue Tearstone Ring is awful, doesn't make much sense to increase defensive stats only when you're at low health since you'll basically die in one hit anyway. Do you have Havel's Ring? If so, throw that on so that you can get under 50% equip load; if not, then swap out some pieces of armor for lighter ones. Having mid-roll rather than fat roll (which is what you have right now) will make a huge difference.

Chitown B

Blue Tearstone Ring is awful, doesn't make much sense to increase defensive stats only when you're at low health since you'll basically die in one hit anyway. Do you have Havel's Ring? If so, throw that on so that you can get under 50% equip load; if not, then swap out some pieces of armor for lighter ones. Having mid-roll rather than fat roll (which is what you have right now) will make a huge difference.

Thanks. I only have two rings right now, so I just put both on. Havel's I haven't come across.

I really like heavier armor because i feel safer. I may just grind out a few levels until I get add enough END to get under 50%?

mannerbot

Thanks. I only have two rings right now, so I just put both on. Havel's I haven't come across.

I really like heavier armor because i feel safer. I may just grind out a few levels until I get add enough END to get under 50%?

No need, just keep playing normally. I'm not suggesting that you give up heavy armor entirely, just swap out the helmet and gauntlets for some lighter pieces or swap out the helmet for something lighter and play without gauntlets, for example. Just get under 50% and run/roll around a bit and you'll see what a big difference that makes.

Chitown B

No need, just keep playing normally. I'm not suggesting that you give up heavy armor entirely, just swap out the helmet and gauntlets for some lighter pieces or swap out the helmet for something lighter and play without gauntlets, for example. Just get under 50% and run/roll around a bit and you'll see what a big difference that makes.

thanks I might give that a shot.

Hystzen

Interesting glitch yesterday on PS3 while farming souls from sliver knights so can buy upgrade materials from giant blacksmith.

I equipped Havels ring due to playing around with my good old elite knights set then decided to not use that set as I used it 3 times before with other characters. So I unequip the ring for wood grain ring due to washing pole having 30 durability and some how still was getting the equip load boost from Havels ring without having it equipped. Loaded up save and the effect is gone now but was fun been so light no matter what armour while ran around Arnor Londo castle

FUCK WHOEVER DESIGNED THE XBOX DASHBOARD

Shit, I went to the catacombs for the first time, and died... because the batteries in my controller died. 10 minutes before that, I checked the battery charge and my xbox said it still had two bars. Fuck me, now to go claim my humanities and souls back.

Mindlog

thanks I might give that a shot.
Yeah it would take twelve levels of Endurance to get into mid roll. That's a lot of grinding! The easiest solution I see without knowing what is in your inventory is to try taking the boots off for a little while to see if you like it. As always the most important part is that you are having fun with your setup. The game can be beat without worrying about optimizing everything. Just have fun with it =]

Havel's ring can be difficult to get, but learning to parry/backstab him is great training. Two birds with one stone type of situation.

One thing I actually like about the equip load system is how it encourages experimenting with different "gear kits" at various load thresholds. This means that potentially, every piece of armor can be useful, given your desired roll speed, defense, poise, and appearance. Mix and match armor and weapons to essentially create a new "class" on the fly by changing up your play style and appearance.

I fought alongside a host that was stripped to the waist, with Black Leather Pants and Gauntlets, who two-handed an apparently maxed out Giant Halberd. Very deadly, and something I would have not considered myself.

Chitown B

FUCK WHOEVER DESIGNED THE XBOX DASHBOARD

Shit, I went to the catacombs for the first time, and died... because the batteries in my controller died. 10 minutes before that, I checked the battery charge and my xbox said it still had two bars. Fuck me, now to go claim my humanities and souls back.

I never trust my controller after it hits 2 bars. It's not accurate - can't be really, since all batteries are different unless it's the play and charge.

Yeah it would take twelve levels of Endurance to get into mid roll. That's a lot of grinding! The easiest solution I see without knowing what is in your inventory is to try taking the boots off for a little while to see if you like it. As always the most important part is that you are having fun with your setup. The game can be beat without worrying about optimizing everything. Just have fun with it =]

Havel's ring can be difficult to get, but learning to parry/backstab him is great training. Two birds with one stone type of situation.

Thanks. I might try that. I did a quick search and looks like I must beat the butterfly to get the key to open the door to the knight who drops Havel's. I freaking hate the woods, so that'll be fun....

I never trust my controller after it hits 2 bars. It's not accurate - can't be really, since all batteries are different unless it's the play and charge.

Thanks. I might try that. I did a quick search and looks like I must beat the butterfly to get the key to open the door to the knight who drops Havel's. I freaking hate the woods, so that'll be fun....
Yeah, I turned my xbox off and switched to a wired controller. Won't happen again tonight.

Otherwise, don't be scared of the butterfy, that boss is the easiest one I've encountered so far.

Hystzen

Depending in your character or how early you are in game it easier just to remove all armour fighting Havel he pretty much one shots you anyway at early game. Will also make you learn how dodge and with nothing pretty much equipped can just lock and strafe around him

Divius

You mean the bird that transported you to Lordan? That took you away from that unholy place called Undead Asylum? Bird-bro?

;_;

From Illusory Wall, the same blog that has been going through the DeS unused content, these are all the secret developer messages that appear when you use Seek Guidance (I guess so the miracle isn't completely useless for offline play): http://imgur.com/a/HWO5v

Just thought it was interesting, I've never used the miracle myself except as a fake-out for TWoP in PvP.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
From Illusory Wall, the same blog that has been going through the DeS unused content, these are all the secret developer messages that appear when you use Seek Guidance (I guess so the miracle isn't completely useless for offline play): http://imgur.com/a/HWO5v

Just thought it was interesting, I've never used the miracle myself except as a fake-out for TWoP in PvP.

wow, they spell everything out! I thought that miracle just displayed more user msg's, didn't know about these.

'try projectile' heh

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Hah, pretty cool. LOL @ "try projectile" on Gwynevere and "I can't take this", hahaha <3

I followed one of those Black Knight Halberd runs on youtube and got it to +5 and unlocked Sen's Fortress all in about an hour. Feel crazy powerful but the stat investment seems like a waste with 32 str, 20 dex. Nice gimmick though. It was pretty fun killing both gargoyles in 3 hits

mannerbot

I followed one of those Black Knight Halberd runs on youtube and got it to +5 and unlocked Sen's Fortress all in about an hour. Feel crazy powerful but the stat investment seems like a waste with 32 str, 20 dex. Nice gimmick though. It was pretty fun killing both gargoyles in 3 hits

BKH only requires 22 str (2h) 18 dex though.

BKH only requires 24 str (2h) 18 dex though.

Right, 18 dex. Went 1h for shits and giggles since I had the souls. I'm probably not going to continue with the character so it isn't a big deal.

Getting a fire weapon is probably the way to go for a leg up early game since this throws you out of the normal level range for early game summoning and whatnot

Anustart

Beat Capra demon. Was a little dicey but I did it. I couldn't really find an opening except hitting him after he jumps off the stairs and is recovering.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
God, Blighttown is such a fucking PAIN IN THE ASS.

I am literally this close to quitting this game over this shitty fucking area.

Anustart

What was up with the Gaping Dragon? Didn't even come close to killing me. Took a while because I wasn't doing much damage, but stupidly easy. Acquired key to blighttown!

Also, something down in that sewer cursed me, and one shotted me :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Gah, finally made it to the stupid bonfire at the bottom of stupid Blighttown. That entire area with walkways can go fuck itself.

Overdoziz

Banned
Duke's Archives has to be my least favorite part of the game. So many ranged enemies along with melee enemies that can hit very hard.

Anustart

Gah, finally made it to the stupid bonfire at the bottom of stupid Blighttown. That entire area with walkways can go fuck itself.

I just made it there too! Or at least to a bonfire in blighttown :3

Edit: Maybe I made it to the one you were talking about just now, this ones down in some sewer type place near a chest with a dragon scale.

Bloomers

WHOA O.0

All this time I wondered how people were finding all these crazy well hidden people, items, and paths in the game and all I had to do was actually try Seek Guidance. Seriously wow

Ziek

Not sure where else to post this, but does anyone know if Amazon has plans to open pre-orders again for the black armor edition of Dark Souls II on ps3?

tia

Chitown B

equipped regular black leather boots and added a few more endurance to get under 50%. Wow I can move! Thanks :)

Currently at this:

http://mmdks.com/5ju1

Going to try to grind 8 more levels to get my Endurance up enough to wear the elite leggings. We'll see. I'm grinding the Hellkite Dragon bridge burning the demons for +555 a pop. Figured that one out on my own, haha

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
After finishing demons souls when it first came out handily and being a beast in pvp, I bought dark souls on launch day. I didn't have the same luck, whether it be because the game is harder or because my particular play style wasn't as effective. With DS2 around the corner I have finally gotten to the final boss and man does it feel good.

I have gotten him to one hit from dead, which tells me it is only a few tries away, but I am just savoring this moment.

andddd I'm ready for dark souls 2. B)

Anustart

I got class in 9 hours but I'm thinking about booting up the game to do a bit more adventuring! I can't even put a finger on why I like the game so much, but I do.

Chitown B

I got class in 9 hours but I'm thinking about booting up the game to do a bit more adventuring! I can't even put a finger on why I like the game so much, but I do.

probably because it's raw and doesn't hold your hand - so every accomplishment is your own.

Anustart

Ran into Queelag. She roasted me. Dunno yet what I can do, as she moves quick and seemingly doesn't relent enough to attack much. Perhaps I should come back later. Did head out of blight town through the valley of drakes way, found the fire keeper dead (dangit, I have a firekeeper soul!).

dmr87

God, Blighttown is such a fucking PAIN IN THE ASS.

Reading this is pretty funny to me, cause I had the same throughts while I was there. Got through it in the end.

Yesterday I had wipe runs on Ornstein and Smough, going for Ornstein last kill. Been running around some today, leveling and finishing some other stuff. Gonna go again tomorrow.

Ran into Queelag. She roasted me. Dunno yet what I can do, as she moves quick and seemingly doesn't relent enough to attack much. Perhaps I should come back later. Did head out of blight town through the valley of drakes way, found the fire keeper dead (dangit, I have a firekeeper soul!).

Let her do something that's relatively slow, run up beside her, swing 3-ish times thenrun away. Rinse, repeat. As with most bosses, you naturally hone in on their weaknesses the more attempts you do.

Don't use it this time! :)

There are other Firekeepers who can upgrade your Estus flask, you're actually pretty close to the next one. Quelaag can be formidable at first, I find it easier to attack her legs so you can still see the 'human' part of her. If you are right on her tail she has a nasty gas type attack that hits hard and her magic AoE which hits even harder - and if you are on her ass, you can't see the human part of her build up for the AoE where she kind of slumps down first. Look out for it and then get the hell out of her range.

If you aren't playing in human form, Blighttown is a good time to go human as there is an NPC Black Phantom invader who drops a nice chunk of souls, humanity and a unique weapon. And once you defeat them, their summon sign will be at the boss door if you want to use them for the boss fight - not always much use but Quelaag will often go them leaving you to concentrate on attacking.

Going to try to grind 8 more levels to get my Endurance up enough to wear the elite leggings. We'll see. I'm grinding the Hellkite Dragon bridge burning the demons for +555 a pop. Figured that one out on my own, haha
Co-op is also a very effective and risk-free way of grinding souls/humanity. I think the Taurus Demon is 1,500 souls and 1 humanity - plus whatever souls you get from the regular enemies on route. The souls for bosses goes up considerably very shortly.

LogicStep

All just one mans opinion but here are my suggestions:

Since you've already taken both STR and DEX to 20 I would go with a quality build. With this you would usually take STR to 28, DEX and END to 40 and put everything else in VIT. You want to be using weapons that scale with both STR and DEX so stuff like the Claymore, Zweihander and Composite Bow will do a tonne of damage

I went and got the Claymore and upgraded it to +10, great advice, I like this play style more, my swings have more oomph to them.

probably because it's raw and doesn't hold your hand - so every accomplishment is your own.

It really does feel this way.

I was having a hard time in that bitch of a place Crystal Cave. Fuck that place, and fuck that boss. Took me a lot of tries but when I finally got him it was almost a flawless attempt. I had him with one hit left and he killed me the previous attempt, then I went and he barely touched me.

I think next area I will go to is New Londo Ruins so I can get that ember for the +15 upgrade.

This game man... can't wait to see the DLC stuff. Can't wait for DS2!

Top Bottom