• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Down below as in the Depths.
Wait, there's a bell somewhere in the Depths? I killed Gaping Dragon, and I thought that was it, since I think I explored everything there is to explore there (only thing I didn't manage to get is that shiny loot on the other side of the room where you jump down to fight that giant rat).

Oh well, if there is one, I'll gladly go and explore it some more (don't tell me where it is exactly :D).

Wait, there's a bell somewhere in the Depths? I killed Gaping Dragon, and I thought that was it, since I think I explored everything there is to explore there (only thing I didn't manage to get is that shiny loot on the other side of the room where you jump down to fight that giant rat).

Oh well, if there is one, I'll gladly go and explore it some more (don't tell me where it is exactly :D).
You're supposed to know where the exit to progress (it's a locked door) is but it's in an easily overlooked spot
at the bonfire in Depths, go down the ladder and down the stairs, and down the main part of the sewer there's a broken grate. You'll find a shopkeeper, and past him a door you can unlock with the key you got.

You're supposed to know where the exit to progress (it's a locked door) is but it's in an easily overlooked spot
at the bonfire in Depths, go down the ladder and down the stairs, and down the main part of the sewer there's a broken grate. You'll find a shopkeeper, and past him a door you can unlock with the key you got.
Oooh, I did find him, but I either totally overlooked the door near him, or I totally forgot about it being there. Thanks! Gonna go back there after I kill Sif (I'm already sad, since I love wolves, and he looks amazingly graceful and beautiful, and that music...)

Albo

Should I upgrade my demon's spear? It's really useful for me right now at the point in the game I'm at (Ariamis) and I really like it but not sure If it'll be useful in the future when I'll probably find better weapons. The range is awesome, it's fast and quick with it's poking, as well as fairly light, it does decent damage (with additional lightning damage) at this point in the game and of course it looks really cool.

Another question. I picked up a crazy good crystal halberd from a mimic chest I killed in anor londo. I'm assuming because it's crystal, I cannot repair it and it will eventually break? It feels kinda cheap using it with how powerful it is anyway.

Mistel

Banned
Should I upgrade my demon's spear? It's really useful for me right now at the point in the game I'm at (Ariamis) and I really like it but not sure If it'll be useful in the future when I'll probably find better weapons. The range is awesome, it's fast and quick with it's poking, as well as fairly light, it does decent damage (with additional lightning damage) at this point in the game and of course it looks really cool.

Another question. I picked up a crazy good crystal halberd from a mimic chest I killed in anor londo. I'm assuming because it's crystal, I cannot repair it and it will eventually break? It feels kinda cheap using it with how powerful it is anyway.
It's the best spear in terms of range so I would upgrade it and a silver knight spear for lighting resistant enemies. Yes your crystal halberd will break eventually.

Ruuppa

You can make a normal +15 Halberd, and it'll have almost as high damage as the Crystal Halberd +5. It's a really good weapon with fast recovery time, as long as you hit the enemy.

Edit: You can repair Crystal weapons through reinforcement. But that only takes you to +5, and after that it's gonna break eventually. Crystal weapons are really good for parryswitching and backstabs, since they don't use any durability.

Soulhouf

You can make a normal +15 Halberd, and it'll have almost as high damage as the Crystal Halberd +5. It's a really good weapon with fast recovery time, as long as you hit the enemy.

Edit: You can repair Crystal weapons through reinforcement. But that only takes you to +5, and after that it's gonna break eventually. Crystal weapons are really good for parryswitching and backstabs, since they don't use any durability.

I always go with crystal weapons+4 (which is equivalent to normal+16 if that existed) and when they break I replace them.
The costs aren't really expensive for the extra damage you gain.

Ruuppa

I always go with crystal weapons+4 (which is equivalent to normal+16 if that existed) and when they break I replace them.
The costs aren't really expensive for the extra damage you gain.

As long as you have an infinite source for the weapon, it's great. Rapiers are really good for this.

Mistel

Banned
Was on my way to kill him after placing the Lordvessel. Where should I go instead? Haven't been to New Londo but this whole curse thing confuses me.
You could go to dukes, demon ruins, and the tomb of the giants. The curse thing is so you can damage the ghosts but you can buy transient curses or used cursed weapons to do that also without the need to be cursed.

Was on my way to kill him after placing the Lordvessel. Where should I go instead? Haven't been to New Londo but this whole curse thing confuses me.

You can jump now to the DLC by going to the duke archives and killing the blue golem that gives you a lost pendant, then return to the darkroot garden and go where do you fight the gold golem to trigger the DLC

Ruuppa

You can jump now to the DLC by going to the duke archives and killing the blue golem that gives you a lost pendant, then return to the darkroot garden and go where do you fight the gold golem to trigger the DLC

The only annoying thing about accessing the DLC,
is that if you want the special with Sif and the ability to join Darkwraiths, you need to kill the guy with the Key to the Seal.

Edit: No, wait. Wait. I'm being an idiot here. You *can't* get the special and join Darkwraiths on the same game round. D'oh.
Editedit: Unless you can make it work by jumping past Frampt. I haven't tried that. Hmmm.
Edit*3: Further reading finds out that simply placing the Lordvessel before meeting Kaathe makes him disappear, so it's not possible to do both on the same round.

The only annoying thing about accessing the DLC, is that if you want the special with Sif and the ability to join Darkwraiths, you need to kill the guy with the Key to the Seal.

Edit: No, wait. Wait. I'm being an idiot here. You *can't* get the special and join Darkwraiths on the same game round. D'oh.
Editedit: Unless you can make it work by jumping past Frampt. I haven't tried that. Hmmm.

Mmmm you can join them and get sif special,
just dont place the lordvessel with frampt, Ingward can give you the key if you have the lordvessel in your inventory.

Ruuppa

Mmmm you can join them and get sif special,
just dont place the lordvessel with frampt, Ingward can give you the key if you have the lordvessel in your inventory.

You need to kill Sif before you can meet Kaathe, because ABYSS. So yeah. And since placing it without the help of either snake pisses them both off, there's no way to get both.

If you have the DLC dont kill sif
Yeah, I remembered that people were mentioning couple of years ago that you can avoid killing him, but I had no idea how and why. But, since I'm playing DS on PS3 for now, and since I don't have DLC, I guess I'm not missing out on something. Gonna spare him on my next playthrough on PC tho, can't wait to find out what happens then!

By the way - does anyone have any nice high-res artwork/screenshot of Sif? I've tried googling it, but I don't like many of the images there, and I'd like to have something nice as a wallpaper/Facebook cover photo.

Yeah, I remembered that people were mentioning couple of years ago that you can avoid killing him, but I had no idea how and why. But, since I'm playing DS on PS3 for now, and since I don't have DLC, I guess I'm not missing out on something. Gonna spare him on my next playthrough on PC tho, can't wait to find out what happens then!

By the way - does anyone have any nice high-res artwork/screenshot of Sif? I've tried googling it, but I don't like many of the images there, and I'd like to have something nice as a wallpaper/Facebook cover photo.

I dunno, maybe, can you repeat that question ?

Smidget

Finally beat it last night. Gwyn was down to a sliver and then I got cocky and he killed me. I swore very loud at that point. Did it again straight afterwards and got him! Fun game, if not a bit overly frustrating at some points and I would have been absolutely lost without following a walkthrough at some points.

Now onto other games. 50 hours later and many more backlogged games to go. Will definitely get DS2 down the road :)

I own Demon Souls. How does it compare to DS? I'm almost afraid to ask if it's harder and harder to follow and know where to go... My brother said DS2 is DS1 lite, so I'll be kinda happy with that to be honest.

Hugstable

Banned
Blighttown has been confusing as hell at times. I've gotten to the bonfire at searched both left and right of the bonfire, but I reach dead ends going both ways unless I'm missing a ladder somewhere.

^ You're missing a ladder, after the first bonfire you are ultimately going down, to the swamp area you see below you, so look to go down.

I own Demon Souls. How does it compare to DS? I'm almost afraid to ask if it's harder and harder to follow and know where to go... My brother said DS2 is DS1 lite, so I'll be kinda happy with that to be honest.
Your first Souls game is always the hardest, so you would probably find Demon's a little easier since you have a grasp on the basics and the set up of the series.

You won't have any problems knowing where to go, the hub system is a lot more straight forward than Dark, you have a central hub and 5 worlds, each world is split up into connecting areas that are a straight path one to the other, warpable from the hub once you have done the boss of each sub area. Very straight forward, but still a lot of freedom, as after doing the first area of the first world all the other 4 worlds are opened up to play in any order.

Smidget

Your first Souls game is always the hardest, so you would probably find Demon's a little easier since you have a grasp on the basics and the set up of the series.

You won't have any problems knowing where to go, the hub system is a lot more straight forward than Dark, you have a central hub and 5 worlds, each world is split up into connecting areas that are a straight path one to the other, warpable from the hub once you have done the boss of each sub area. Very straight forward, but still a lot of freedom, as after doing the first area of the first world all the other 4 worlds are opened up to play in any order.

Thanks for the info! Only thing is I think I read the points between checkpoints are longer. I hate doing the same area over and over again, especially leading up to the boss like Gwyn. Is that true for Demon's?

Hugstable

Banned
Thanks for the info! Only thing is I think I read the points between checkpoints are longer. I hate doing the same area over and over again, especially leading up to the boss like Gwyn. Is that true for Demon's?

I just finished playing Demon's and there are no checkpoints in the actual levels. You pretty much have to beat it in one go, but some levels have shortcuts that you can open up and such. Most of the areas aren't that long though once you know the path to take. It's the initial exploration that takes awhile.

Edit: Blah sorry for double post :(

It needs to scale with your Str and a little with Dex for the big damage. Lucky you to get that weapon.

According to a wiki, it should be 306(?) which is the next upgrade bump in-game. And mugenmonkey's calculator also has a higher number when scaled with stats. I do 585 two-handing with the BKGS, but should be doing 10 more points of damage. It's not a huge difference, but I would like to understand why the numbers aren't matching up. Old info on these sites?

Tarkus

According to a wiki, it should be 306(?) which is the next upgrade bump in-game. And mugenmonkey's calculator also has a higher number when scaled with stats. I do 585 two-handing with the BKGS, but should be doing 10 more points of damage. It's not a huge difference, but I would like to understand why the numbers aren't matching up. Old info on these sites?
I've used mugenmonkey and it seems accurate. What's your Str and Dex?

Mistel

Banned
Wikidot is generally the most accurate site it is saying that a level 4 black knight greatsword is 308 damage so that other wiki would be wrong even though I can't find the exact one you used for that figure myself.

The damage on mugenmonkey represents what you get with scaling weapon with the weapon at maximum upgraded levels I think. But I don't know your stats so the closest I got to 585 two handed was with 26/18 with 581 damage and 27/18 587 damage.

I've used mugenmonkey and it seems accurate. What's your Str and Dex?

33/19

Wikidot is generally the most accurate site it is saying that a level 4 black knight greatsword is 308 damage so that other wiki would be wrong even though I can't find the exact one you used for that figure myself.

The damage on mugenmonkey represents what you get with scaling weapon with the weapon at maximum upgraded levels I think. But I don't know your stats so the closest I got to 585 two handed was with 26/18 with 581 damage and 27/18 587 damage.

That's the wiki I used :) Confused the 8 for a 6.
The stats of my BKGS+4 is 287, but according to the wiki it should be 308

Mistel

Banned
The regular Black Knight Sword is in the greatsword class. Are you sure you don't have that one?
That doesn't reach the required damage as previously stated.
33/19

That's the wiki I used :) Confused the 8 for a 6.
The stats of my BKGS+4 is 287, but according to the wiki it should be 308
Using your stats I got what you said earlier, so I'm stumped as to why it doesn't match up to what you are getting unless you got that figure from an enemy which has resistance to that damage type.

Mistel

Banned
No clue on this one. You are VERY to have both weapons on the first playthrough. BKS is the better sword IMO. It's faster and only slight less damage.
Greatswords deal less poise damage that Ultra's do it's really down to personal preference plus all black knight weapons are available in the latter part of the game.

Tarkus

Greatswords deal less poise damage that Ultra's do it's really down to personal preference plus all black knight weapons are available in the latter part of the game.
R2s are almost useless on those two swords. They're not good weapons to go through the game because they limit you to R1 spam or backstabs. They're terrible for PVP imo. The running and jumping attacks are decent though.

Mistel

Banned
R2s are almost useless on those two swords. They're not good weapons to go through the game because they limit you to R1 spam or backstabs. They're terrible for PVP imo. The running and jumping attacks are decent though.
I've found both R2 attacks single handed and two handed to be useful myself during PvE and the small amount of time I dabbled them within PvP.

Using your stats I got what you said earlier, so I'm stumped as to why it doesn't match up to what you are getting unless you got that figure from an enemy which has resistance to that damage type.

Ah, resistance never once entered my mind. The figure was against a Sentinel, so that would explain it?

No clue on this one. You are VERY to have both weapons on the first playthrough. BKS is the better sword IMO. It's faster and only slight less damage. It's also really cool looking FASHION SOULS

I almost went with the BKS for the speed, but BKGS is just so huge and cool. If I had the stats I would be rocking the Dragon King Greataxe 😄

Tarkus

I've found both R2 attacks single handed and two handed to be useful myself during PvE and the small amount of time I dabbled them within PvP.
They're useful in PVE but that's it. With the BKS, after the attack the character does that sword twirl animation that leaves you wide open. With 2 hand, it's the same with incredibly slow animation. The BKGS is just like moving in molasses. That 2 hand R2 telegraphs so easily. The only great about those weapons is that you can max them easy. The other BK weapons are much better imo, especially the great axe.

Ah, resistance never once entered my mind. The figure was against a Sentinel, so that would explain it?

I almost went with the BKS for the speed, but BKGS is just so huge and cool. If I had the stats I would be rocking the Dragon King Greataxe 😄
Yeah, you can't really go by what damage you're doing to an enemy based on their HP bar because of their armor etc. Mugenmonkey is referring to your "raw" damage output on the start menu.

Mistel

Banned

Resistance would explain the differances between damage as for the dragon king great axe you need 1 more point in strength to two hand it.

Yeah, you can't really go by what damage you're doing to an enemy based on their HP bar because of their armor etc. Mugenmonkey is referring to your "raw" damage output on the start menu.

Resistance would explain the differances between damage as for the dragon king great axe you need 1 more point in strength to two hand it.

Thanks!
I told myself I wouldn't place anymore points into STR, but since I'm only one away from two handing it...

Top Bottom