• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
The man serpent is a STR weapon with A scaling elemental stuff is A bit of a waste on it. Bastard swords are pretty good elemental weapons as they're cheap to buy and have a good moveset.

Now I need to decide where to go next. I assume there are four areas that contain the four souls I need, but I'm not really sure which to attempt first. Also I currently have a Zweihander and a Claymore and I'm trying to decide on an upgrade path for each. I'm thinking of taking both up to +15 since I have a strength build, but I also feel like I should have a fire and a divine weapon (I picked up a lightning spear in Sen's Fortress). I have an Iaito +5 and a Man-serpent Greatsword, so I could probably make one into fire and one into divine. Any advice on weapons would be appreciated, I'm really pretty clueless when it comes to weapon upgrade paths.

Oh I also have a bunch of boss souls. Should I use any of them to make special weapons?
An elemental weapon can come in handy but as a strength build you probably would be disappointed by damage output compared to a +15 weapon. I wouldn't bother with divine at all unless doing a faith build. There's only one occasion (ok two) that it's useful and even that is debateable, I think it takes half of the fun out of
the Catacombs
by having a divine weapon just for that. It does make
Nito
easier though I guess - may be too easy?

Ruuppa

Now I need to decide where to go next. I assume there are four areas that contain the four souls I need, but I'm not really sure which to attempt first. Also I currently have a Zweihander and a Claymore and I'm trying to decide on an upgrade path for each. I'm thinking of taking both up to +15 since I have a strength build, but I also feel like I should have a fire and a divine weapon (I picked up a lightning spear in Sen's Fortress). I have an Iaito +5 and a Man-serpent Greatsword, so I could probably make one into fire and one into divine. Any advice on weapons would be appreciated, I'm really pretty clueless when it comes to weapon upgrade paths.

Oh I also have a bunch of boss souls. Should I use any of them to make special weapons?

If you're going for pure physical, elemental weapons are kind of a waste. There are no enemies that have super resistances against physical, so it'll be useful on everything equally. Elemental weapons lose strength against anything that has resistance against it, and there are quite a few enemies like that, especially in the DLC.

If you really want elementals, just to complement your stuff, I recommend Quelaag's Furysword and Demon's Spear, although both are more Dex weapons than Str. Divine, as has been said, is very situational. Same with Occult. Magic/Enchanted is crap unless you're a swordmage.

v1perz53

There's only one occasion (ok two) that it's useful and even that is debateable, I think it takes half of the fun out of
the Catacombs
by having a divine weapon just for that. It does make
Nito
easier though I guess - may be too easy?

Man, it is almost cruel to expect someone to go through
the Catacombs
on their first playthrough without a divine weapon! If all the
necromancers
were in plain sight I could understand it, but some of them are so random and hidden. And I actually never use divine weapons for
Nito
, I find that he does a perfectly fine job killing his own skeletons with his AoE.

But yea, echoing above, in Dark Souls elemental weapons are less about having them for things weak to that element, and more for having weapons that don't scale with any stat. For example, making a Fire or Lightning club would mean you never have to put any points in dex and only 10 in str and you still have a strong weapon, and can focus on other stats. But the end damage is almost always lower than if you would have gone +15 and raised scaling stats.

Boss soul weapons can be fine, but are really nothing special. They aren't any better than normal weapons, they just mostly have some gimmick or interesting move. I used the Queelag Furysword in my first build, but that is pretty much it for boss soul weapons, I rarely touch them.

Ruuppa

Man, it is almost cruel to expect someone to go through
the Catacombs
on their first playthrough without a divine weapon! If all the
necromancers
were in plain sight I could understand it, but some of them are so random and hidden. And I actually never use divine weapons for
Nito
, I find that he does a perfectly fine job killing his own skeletons with his AoE.

You can snipe off or sneak to all of the necromancers except the first and the last without aggroing their thralls. The first, the one next to the bonfire at the start, I think is Fromsoft telling you that "This shit happens, watch out." and the last one they didn't want to make any easier.

But on your first playthrough that place is damn rough. I think I used the Astora Straightsword, or a Divine BSS when I went there.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ah OK, I didn't realize +15 weapons on a strength build would be more effective than elemental weapons. Maybe I'll just stick with upgrading my Zwei and Claymore to +15 then.

I wanted to get a divine weapon because I heard that the
skeletons in the Catacombs
can only be killed with a divine weapon. Not sure whether a normal weapon will allow me to get through but I guess I can give it a shot.

In any case, what area should I venture into next? Based on what Frampt told me I'm guessing the
Catacombs
and
New Londo Ruins
are two of my four options, but I'm not sure what the other two options are. I do also want to go back to the forest since there were some invisible NPCs that kept killing me and I'm in the mood for a little payback.

Edit: Just figured out that the
Archives
are one of my four options.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Boy, the rooms I'm finding these titanite demons in, are getting smaller and smaller. I hate those guys.
Maybe not the most noble way to fight this guy. But with a little fidgeting of the reticule I found I could shoot just shoot some arrows through the doorway and kill him that way. Thought for sure I'd find something in that room, but only got a drop of demon titanite. Not sure I have anything to use that on yet. Oh well, back to recklessly opening treasure chests in Anor Londo...

v1perz53

I wanted to get a divine weapon because I heard that the
skeletons in the Catacombs
can only be killed with a divine weapon. Not sure whether a normal weapon will allow me to get through but I guess I can give it a shot.

In any case, what area should I venture into next? Based on what Frampt told me I'm guessing the
Catacombs
and
New Londo Ruins
are two of my four options, but I'm not sure what the other two options are. I do also want to go back to the forest since there were some invisible NPCs that kept killing me and I'm in the mood for a little payback.

Edit: Just figured out that the
Archives
are one of my four options.

Don't want to accidentally lead you the wrong way,
yes that is exactly what divine weapons are for
. There are other ways about it, but I personally would strongly advise using one there, it is very frustrating without one if you don't know the layout.

Your last option is to continue onward after Quelaag's room. Not sure how much you did, but from that bell you can go down some stairs and get to a new area, which will eventually get you to your fourth option.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Don't want to accidentally lead you the wrong way,
yes that is exactly what divine weapons are for
. There are other ways about it, but I personally would strongly advise using one there, it is very frustrating without one if you don't know the layout.

Your last option is to continue onward after Quelaag's room. Not sure how much you did, but from that bell you can go down some stairs and get to a new area, which will eventually get you to your fourth option.

Oh OK got it, thanks. Yeah I spent some time in that area after Quelaag then realized the path was blocked so I went back. Hmm time to make some decisions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, guys... I'm playing Dark Souls (1) through Steam. Please don't ask why. Please don't comment "HERP BUT YOU HATED THE GAME" etc.

I just want to know... can you play this game online on PC anymore? When I start the game, it's bringing me to Windows for Live but I thought that died?

v1perz53

Wait, guys... I'm playing Dark Souls (1) through Steam. Please don't ask why. Please don't comment "HERP BUT YOU HATED THE GAME" etc.

I just want to know... can you play this game online on PC anymore? When I start the game, it's bringing me to Windows for Live but I thought that died?

It was going to die but then it didn't, MS decided to keep it alive. So GFWL still exists, you still have to use it, and it still sucks just as much as before. It works fine enough online, even with my 4G connection I can still get super laggy online stuff.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This fucking shit is absolutely fucking horrible. This game and its M$ bullshit GFSMD is already making me rage.

SO I CAN NOT RETRIEVE MY FUCKING PASSWORD TO GFSMD; I told them to send a new password to my Hotmail and it's been 10 minutes without a mail.

ObbyDent

Banned
So I decided to download Dark Souls on my new computer. On my old laptop I was never able to get it to work online due to GFWL. So to anyone who is able to play Dark Souls on their PC, how in the world do I set it up? I'm downloading the game right now.

v1perz53

So I decided to download Dark Souls on my new computer. On my old laptop I was never able to get it to work online due to GFWL. So to anyone who is able to play Dark Souls on their PC, how in the world do I set it up? I'm downloading the game right now.

Eh, it worked pretty simply for me when I first set it up. I started the game, and it told me to log in to GFWL or make an account. I logged into my account (same info as my xbox 360 live profile), and it asked for the CD key. I put in the CD key from Dark Souls, and it started downloading my profile. When it finished, I set it to auto log in with the checkbox, and now every time I start the game it connects to GFWL and I play online.

Now, I tried to do this on a new computer when xbox live (and thus GFWL) was down, and it didn't let me even download my profile or play in any way, but that was about it for problems. To be honest, I thought it was harder to play offline (didn't want to deal with PvP or co-op on my first playthrough) than online, as I had to disable my ethernet adapter every time before starting the game.

ObbyDent

Banned
Eh, it worked pretty simply for me when I first set it up. I started the game, and it told me to log in to GFWL or make an account. I logged into my account (same info as my xbox 360 live profile), and it asked for the CD key. I put in the CD key from Dark Souls, and it started downloading my profile. When it finished, I set it to auto log in with the checkbox, and now every time I start the game it connects to GFWL and I play online.

Now, I tried to do this on a new computer when xbox live (and thus GFWL) was down, and it didn't let me even download my profile or play in any way, but that was about it for problems. To be honest, I thought it was harder to play offline (didn't want to deal with PvP or co-op on my first playthrough) than online, as I had to disable my ethernet adapter every time before starting the game.

Do I have to download a GFWL application or just make an account.

v1perz53

Do I have to download a GFWL application or just make an account.

When I personally did it, I just launched the game and it had all the GFWL stuff I needed built into the game installer. It updated a GFWL client and I could make my account/log in right from in the game. But I have heard of people needing to download Games for Windows Live Marketplace separately to get the right version, but you still log in/create your account from within the game either way.

Hugstable

Banned
I heard someone bring up resistances in the DLC, and I was just about to start that and was wondering if I would be fine with my Lightning Uchi +5? Is there gonna be anything with a huge lightning elemental resistance that I should watch out for and possibly start building a new weapon for? I'm pretty much a Vit/End/Dex build at level 85, got all the Lord Souls and about to start the DLC.

Mistel

Banned
I heard someone bring up resistances in the DLC, and I was just about to start that and was wondering if I would be fine with my Lightning Uchi +5? Is there gonna be anything with a huge lightning elemental resistance that I should watch out for and possibly start building a new weapon for? I'm pretty much a Vit/End/Dex build at level 85, got all the Lord Souls and about to start the DLC.
Yes the first boss in fact has very high lightning resistance so maybe make a new weapon or just un infuse and upgrade the uchi to +15.

ObbyDent

Banned

There is one boss you might have trouble with a lightning imbued weapon.

v1perz53

Yes the first boss in fact has very high lightning resistance so maybe make a new weapon or just un infuse and upgrade the uchi to +15.

First boss is a pain in the ass, high Lightning and high Magic resistance, the two things that a magic using character would likely have at this point (since lightning doesn't need stat scaling and is a little better than fire). It is very predictable though, and I ended up beating it with a moonlight butterfly horn very slowly by playing carefully. I would just bring a nice +14 regular weapon (+15 if you have extra slabs).

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm what else usually makes a good weapon for a high +dex build? MIght as well build something up before I roll in there since I want to keep my Lightning Uchi.

v1perz53

Hmm what else usually makes a good weapon for a high +dex build? MIght as well build something up before I roll in there since I want to keep my Lightning Uchi.

If you are comfortable with your Uchi, you could go to blighttown and get the Iaito (very early in blighttown, but you need to go the route from the depths) and get that to +15, it is very similar in many ways and basically does the same damage. Other options include Great Scythe in the catacombs, great range but kind of hard to use, and the Balder Side Sword, which has an awesome moveset but can be a bit of a pain to farm, any Balder Knight with the big shields can drop it. I hate the curved swords and thrusting swords in DkS 1 (falchion and scimitar, estoc) because you lose your kick and I think the kick is super useful.

If you are a high dex build, you honestly shouldn't be using lightning weapons at all. Lightning removes any benefit the weapons get from dex, so if you have any higher dex than the weapon requires you are in effect wasting it.

Hugstable

Banned
If you are comfortable with your Uchi, you could go to blighttown and get the Iaito (very early in blighttown, but you need to go the route from the depths) and get that to +15, it is very similar in many ways and basically does the same damage. Other options include Great Scythe in the catacombs, great range but kind of hard to use, and the Balder Side Sword, which has an awesome moveset but can be a bit of a pain to farm, any Balder Knight with the big shields can drop it. I hate the curved swords and thrusting swords in DkS 1 (falchion and scimitar, estoc) because you lose your kick and I think the kick is super useful.

If you are a high dex build, you honestly shouldn't be using lightning weapons at all. Lightning removes any benefit the weapons get from dex, so if you have any higher dex than the weapon requires you are in effect wasting it.

So you think it would be best to do the revert to Uchi +10 and then upgrade it to Uchi+15? Also where would I take it to get up to +15, I took a break from the game for like 2 weeks and really only remember the Anor Londo Smith.

GRIP

So you think it would be best to do the revert to Uchi +10 and then upgrade it to Uchi+15? Also where would I take it to get up to +15, I took a break from the game for like 2 weeks and really only remember the Anor Londo Smith.

Andre in Undead Parish is the only blacksmith in the game that can ascend weapons on the normal upgrade path. You'll need the very large ember from
New Londo
before you can upgrade, though.

Also, if you really don't want to get rid of your lighting Uchi, there are a ton of good dex weapons you could try out. Some of my favorites are the Falchion, Fury Sword (Boss Weapon), Balder Side Sword, Great Scythe, and Gold Tracer (which you can only get in the DLC). That being said, you probably should ditch the lighting buff on your Uchi because it will do a lot more damage at +15 as long as your upgrading dex.

Yoshichan

Question time: when targeting something and rolling, can you not roll diagonally? Like, forward-right, back-left, etc? It doesn't work for me... it only works when not targetting something.

Ruuppa

Question time: when targeting something and rolling, can you not roll diagonally? Like, forward-right, back-left, etc? It doesn't work for me... it only works when not targetting something.

You can't roll diagonally while locked on. It's pretty annoying.

One of the major mechanical improvements that DkS2 did was fix that.

Edit: Did Demons' have diagonal rolls while locked on?

Mistel

Banned
Great scythe, chaos blade, lifehunt scythe, and gargoyle tail axe to name a few.
You can't do that whilst locked on.

Yoshichan

W...wow. That's huge. I'm almost 99.9% sure this works in Demon's...

edit: wow, apparently not. WOW.

Hugstable

Banned
Andre in Undead Parish is the only blacksmith in the game that can ascend weapons on the normal upgrade path. You'll need the very large ember from
New Londo
before you can upgrade, though.

Also, if you really don't want to get rid of your lighting Uchi, there are a ton of good dex weapons you could try out. Some of my favorites are the Falchion, Fury Sword (Boss Weapon), Balder Side Sword, Great Scythe, and Gold Tracer (which you can only get in the DLC). That being said, you probably should ditch the lighting buff on your Uchi because it will do a lot more damage at +15 as long as your upgrading dex.

Getting the Large Ember to Andre might be a bit of a problem as I give it to the big dude in Anor Londo. Been playing without a guide so I've just been kinda winging it the whole game besides the few questions I've asked here. I think I might have a Baldur Side Sword, have to check next time I get to the bonfire.

Hugstable

Banned
Great scythe, chaos blade, lifehunt scythe, and gargoyle tail axe to name a few.

You can't do that whilst locked on.

Hmm might try for the Great Scythe if anything, don't know if I picked it up or not in the catacombs though. The Scythe will work for me though if my STR is 14 and Dex is 37? I got enough souls to pump 3 levels up, so I'm trying to save and spend everything wisely before tackling the DLC.

Ruuppa

Getting the Large Ember to Andre might be a bit of a problem as I give it to the big dude in Anor Londo. Been playing without a guide so I've just been kinda winging it the whole game besides the few questions I've asked here. I think I might have a Baldur Side Sword, have to check next time I get to the bonfire.

You can't give the Large Ember to the giant in AL. Each blacksmith only accepts their own specific embers.

Andre:
Large, Very Large, Dark, Divine, Large Divine
Rickert:
Large Magic, Enchanted
Giant:
Crystal
Vamos:
Large Flame, Chaos Flame

Mistel

Banned
Hmm might try for the Great Scythe if anything, don't know if I picked it up or not in the catacombs though. The Scythe will work for me though if my STR is 14 and Dex is 37? I got enough souls to pump 3 levels up, so I'm trying to save and spend everything wisely before tackling the DLC.
Yes the great scythe will be fine you are above the minimum DEX requirement of 14 and have met the minimum STR of 14.

v1perz53

Just got the game to work with GFWL now. But now DSFix is crashing my game. Help!

Turn off AA in game, it doesn't work with DSFix. DSFix does its own AA.

Honestly, I prefer the way it works in DkS 1. If you are locked on to an enemy, everything you do is in relation to that point, be it rolling or attacking. In DkS 2 it is usually in relation to that point, but you can break those rules randomly. For example, against the Heide Knight in Forest, you can roll directly away from him, but if you use a throwing knife right away you will throw it away from him as well. If you wait a second after rolling you will throw it at your lock on target. It is that little inconsistency (how long do I wait before my actions are in relation to my target?) that always bothered me in DkS 2, I would so often swing my weapon off into nowhere because of it.

But to each their own.

Ruuppa

Honestly, I prefer the way it works in DkS 1. If you are locked on to an enemy, everything you do is in relation to that point, be it rolling or attacking. In DkS 2 it is usually in relation to that point, but you can break those rules randomly. For example, against the Heide Knight in Forest, you can roll directly away from him, but if you use a throwing knife right away you will throw it away from him as well. If you wait a second after rolling you will throw it at your lock on target. It is that little inconsistency (how long do I wait before my actions are in relation to my target?) that always bothered me in DkS 2, I would so often swing my weapon off into nowhere because of it.

But to each their own.

DkS1 just has better lock-on tracking, but this is a different matter altogether. Diagonal rolls give you so much more control in where you're going, and DkS1's omission of that feels.. Janky.

Yoshichan

What the hell just happened? Havel was at 50% health and then stopped and died immediately (after like the 20th backstab). What happened?

Yoshichan

Bleed build up probably using something with bleed on it?
Oh... how does bleed work, exactly? Like, it went instantly from 50% to 0%... not poison'ish.

Ruuppa

Oh... how does bleed work, exactly? Like, it went instantly from 50% to 0%... not poison'ish.

Once the Bleed counter is full, the enemy instantly takes a % of their MaxHP as damage. Different Bleed weapons have different % on how much they damage. The highest is Priscilla's Dagger at 50% or 60%, followed by the Lifehunt Scythe at 40% or 50%.

IIRC most others (all of them?) are 30%.

Mistel

Banned
Once the Bleed counter is full, the enemy instantly takes a % of their MaxHP as damage. Different Bleed weapons have different % on how much they damage. The highest is Priscilla's Dagger at 50% or 60%, followed by the Lifehunt Scythe at 40% or 50%.

IIRC most others (all of them?) are 30%.
Priscilla's dagger is the highest with 50% Lifehunt inflicts 50% too. The rest is 30%.

Ruuppa

Priscilla's dagger is the highest with 50% Lifehunt inflicts 50% too. The rest is 30%.

Huh, I remembered that the dagger had more. Oh well.

It's been too long since I made a Bleed -centric build. Lifehunt Scythe is a really fun weapon, but you need to be really careful about using it as well.

Mistel

Banned
Huh, I remembered that the dagger had more. Oh well.

It's been too long since I made a Bleed -centric build. Lifehunt Scythe is a really fun weapon, but you need to be really careful about using it as well.
It's not to hard to manage the bleed inflicted on you just need to stack the resistances to use it.

Yoshichan

Another question. So I went ahead and demolished the Asylum beast, but one thing I was wondering about my Uchigatana... if I did a three hit combo, the last hit would do MASSIVE fucking damage. I'm talking like, the first two hits deal 90 damage and the last one would do like 300. What's up with that?

Edit: also, is it still worth buying the crest for 20k souls to power soul.level abit or did they patch that "trick" out?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Another question. So I went ahead and demolished the Asylum beast, but one thing I was wondering about my Uchigatana... if I did a three hit combo, the last hit would do MASSIVE fucking damage. I'm talking like, the first two hits deal 90 damage and the last one would do like 300. What's up with that?
Bleed.

Top Bottom