• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Ladies and gentlemen, DARK SOULS DEFEATED.

I lit the bonfire.

Also, I wasn't expecting Gywn to be so aggressive. It kinda threw me off at first, but based Hornet Ring brought me back to slay :D

Ruuppa

I lit the bonfire.

Also, I wasn't expecting Gywn to be so aggressive. It kinda threw me off at first, but based Hornet Ring brought me back to slay :D

Congrats on the ripostes!

My first times through him were characterized by me dancing around the pillars and poking gingerly at him whenever I managed to not be spooked by his swings. I think it took me until my fourth playthrough to actually land a riposte on him..

v1perz53

Having Humanity active raises the drop rate? A friend told me recently to farm the
Skellie Babies
since before that I had been relying on trying to farm the Rats of Depths for my Humanity needs

I actually prefer the rats to the skele babies for humanity, but the DLC humanity phantoms are far and away the best bet. As for humanity, yea up to 10 humanity raises item discovery but it gives diminished effect, e.g. you get more item discovery going from 0 to 1 humanity than 9 to 10. It also stacks with gold serpent ring, for maximum effect at 10 humanity and the gold ring.

My first times through him were characterized by me dancing around the pillars and poking gingerly at him whenever I managed to not be spooked by his swings. I think it took me until my fourth playthrough to actually land a riposte on him..

I abused Solaire my first few times doing Gwyn. I had to kill Solaire on my NG+ run because I wanted one file with every item in the game and I needed his gear, so I had to learn to parry to beat him in NG+. Guy is a beast second time through if you don't parry, he never gave me a second to heal. Sadly though parries turned out to make him super easy and I killed him without using a single estus once I got the timing down.

Thanks!

I feel pretty good not needing to summon anyone during my playthrough, but that's likely due to lucking out with the BKGS fairly early :D Should have finished with it.

ya didnt do the dlc

That could be our co-op run

I lit the bonfire.

Congratz!!!!!

He is very aggresive considering his size and a good final boss

Donos

Where can I find Titanite Chunks? I need them to upgrade my weapon and I'm finishing up Duke's Archives, but I've barely found any of these throughout the game! :(

The Royal Sentinals right before O+S drop a chunk regularly for me. Warp to Bonfire before Gwynevere and go back to the hall. Drop the S.Knight with the Greatbow first.

Donos

Yes it does. With the babies careful as sometimes the drop goes through the floor.

If they drop the humanity into the water, it disappears VERY fast.

Humanity farming:

DLC Living Humanites in the Chasm of the Abys >>> Skeleton babies >>>>>>>>>>> Rats.

Sorry for double post.

eot

Banned
The Royal Sentinals right before O+S drop a chunk regularly for me. Warp to Bonfire before Gwynevere and go back to the hall. Drop the S.Knight with the Greatbow first.

Darkwraiths in New Londo are even better. More of them and they're easier to kill.

Ruuppa

Darkwraiths in New Londo are even better. More of them and they're easier to kill.

If you use the shortcut
(Jumping down from the platform before you take the doublestairs to where the 3rd and 4th Ghosts you encounter are)
and learn to parry the fools makes farming them trivially easy.

v1perz53

If you use the shortcut
(Jumping down from the platform before you take the doublestairs to where the 3rd and 4th Ghosts you encounter are)
and learn to parry the fools makes farming them trivially easy.

They are also relatively weak to fire, making them easy kills even for characters with no melee stats. My 12 dex 12 str sorcerer character was still 1 shotting them with a +5 Fire Estoc backstab. Darkwraiths are funny, I feel like when most people see them for the first time they are kind of challenging. But after farming hundreds of them for chunks and slabs, almost everyone eventually thinks of them as nice and easy.

Ruuppa

They are also relatively weak to fire, making them easy kills even for characters with no melee stats. My 12 dex 12 str sorcerer character was still 1 shotting them with a +5 Fire Estoc backstab. Darkwraiths are funny, I feel like when most people see them for the first time they are kind of challenging. But after farming hundreds of them for chunks and slabs, almost everyone eventually thinks of them as nice and easy.

If you're noPoising them, their one-handed ballet combo can utterly wreck you though. I have had many of my light armored guys caught by that and murdered.

So when
You kill the princess in anor londo who are the two enemy NPC's who replace the Big knights in the hall leading up to the Smough/Ornstein ?

v1perz53

So when
You kill the princess in anor londo who are the two enemy NPC's who replace the Big knights in the hall leading up to the Smough/Ornstein ?

Spoilers about the true nature of Anor Londo follow! Not sure what you know already, but I can't really answer without going into it fully.

Well, you
aren't really killing the princess, she is an illusion made by Gwyndolin, the real princess is long gone
. The two guys you fight are interestingly
not hollow/appear fully human
, and are a Balder knight and a Berenkie knight. It seems very likely that they are part of the
darkmoon blades
seeing as you just
dispelled the illusion created by Gwyndolin and the darkmoon blades serve him

Spoilers about the true nature of Anor Londo follow! Not sure what you know already, but I can't really answer without going into it fully.

Well, you
aren't really killing the princess, she is an illusion made by Gwyndolin, the real princess is long gone
. The two guys you fight are interestingly
not hollow/appear fully human
, and are a Balder knight and a Berenkie knight. It seems very likely that they are part of the
darkmoon blades
seeing as you just
dispelled the illusion created by Gwyndolin and the darkmoon blades serve him

Darkmoon soldiers a berenike knight and a balder knight.

Never knew about the illusion thanks for the response!

Sulik2

So I started playing last night. I really enjoyed the responsiveness of the movement, started with a warrior, managed to beat the first first boss by rolling under him like crazy then realized I could have just kept jumping on him from the roof after reading a message. Then today I had my first Dark Souls moment. Tried like three times to kill the black night in Undead Burg and kept failing so I decide to explore. Rolled across the gap in the stares and got down below and realized it came out beside the knight. Went hummm, maybe I can lure him back drop down and run to the item before I die. I lure him to stairs hop down and right as I am about to drop down one more level he hops down and falls past me plummeting to his death. I cackled. I think I just converted.

v1perz53

So I started playing last night. I really enjoyed the responsiveness of the movement, started with a warrior, managed to beat the first first boss by rolling under him like crazy then realized I could have just kept jumping on him from the roof after reading a message. Then today I had my first Dark Souls moment. Tried like three times to kill the black night in Undead Burg and kept failing so I decide to explore. Rolled across the gap in the stares and got down below and realized it came out beside the knight. Went hummm, maybe I can lure him back drop down and run to the item before I die. I lure him to stairs hop down and right as I am about to drop down one more level he hops down and falls past me plummeting to his death. I cackled. I think I just converted.

You're already on your way! The most important rule to remember especially in the beginning of Dark Souls is that there are always multiple solutions to every problem. Also, nothing is cheap, if you think you are doing something the "cheap way", that is exactly what was intended, for you to use the tools you have to outsmart the challenges they place in front of you.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Good job.

There is no such thing as a dishonorable/cheap way to fight in darksouls. The enemies will never play fair so you shouldn't either. Many times, you'll need to lure out enemies and fight them one at a time in order to stand a chance. There is also nothing wrong with running away when shit hits the fan.

v1perz53

Honestly, some of my most satisfying kills in Dark Souls are from either kicking enemies off the edge or tricking them into jumping off. I get a kick out of it every time. Oh man no pun intended that would be one shitty pun.

Thats the magic of this game, several ways to defeat a undefeated enemy on your own terms and trick them on your own playstyle. the game also punish you to play recklessly but rewards you to be creative.

jett

D-Member
Playing this seriously for the first time since I got a decent PC now.

Oh dear lord the input lag when rolling what is this shit.

v1perz53

There shouldn't be any input lag, what controller are you using? I used a wired and wireless 360 controller and both worked perfectly, never tried hooking up a PS3 or any other controller though. Is it every roll or just occasionally?

jett

D-Member
There shouldn't be any input lag, what controller are you using? I used a wired and wireless 360 controller and both worked perfectly, never tried hooking up a PS3 or any other controller though. Is it every roll or just occasionally?

Every roll, seems it's by design, it takes a little while to roll after you press the button.

v1perz53

Every roll, seems it's by design, it takes a little while to roll after you press the button.

I just loaded up my game, I certainly can't replicate any kind of input lag at all. If there is any input lag in my game it is no more than a few frames. Are you fat rolling? I think a fat roll or maybe even a mid roll could seem like input lag? I know a fast roll should have no lag by design, so try taking off all your armor and rolling, if it still happens I don't really know what is going on.

Not sure what your level of familiarity is with the game so I'll explain just in case, your roll is different based on how heavy your equipment is, with over 50% of your equip load causing you to "fat roll", between 25% and 50% causing a "mid roll" and under 25% causing a "fast roll", with fat being a clumsy slow roll, mid being decent but still slow, and fast being a nice quick dodge, which is what you would see when naked.

Kaleinc

Banned

Sigh of relief, at least someone has/notices the issue.

Maybe are you using heavy armor?
No, delay is there even for naked characters. When I try to roll very fast boss attacks pressing the button definitely before it connects only to see You died
and the character didn't even start the roll animation, well it ain't fun. Almost killed DS experience for me. Maybe keyboard is the reason who knows.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Haven't played in a while, so I decided to continue on with my NG+ run. Took some deaths due to getting use to the pacing of the combat again. Of course, the last time I played I left off in fucking Anor Londo. lol.

Switched my Enchanted Katana for an upgraded Moonlight Greatsword, No armor, a shield, and the Dark Woodgrain ring. Trying to ween myself off of shield reliance. The game plays a bit faster without it, heh.

Cheesed the
archers
and killed
super Smalls
on my first try.

Ran through New Londo
thru the second entrance and made short work of the Kings
. The special for this sword is crazy.

Killed
ceaseless
then opened the shortcut and died a bunch due to the nonsense that is
Bed of Chaos.

Decided to run through the DLC to try and get
Kalameet's
tail.

It took me about 80 something hours on my first play through and it has taken a bit under 8 to get where I am now (I forgot to buy the master key in my first run).

v1perz53

Maybe keyboard is the reason who knows.

Oh man, you're playing Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard? More power to you, I found it absolutely impossible, and tremendously unfun to try to play this way. It was clear FromSoft wasn't a PC developer, the M+KB control scheme is supremely awkward. I guess it could be a keyboard thing, I have no idea as I've only ever played with gamepads.

Again, I've played hundreds of hours of Dark Souls on PC with DSFix and a wired or wireless Xbox 360 controller, and I have never noticed a bit of input lag. I play almost entirely with light armor and a roll/dodge strategy, so I feel like lag would have been really hard to deal with, sorry you're getting the bad input delays!

Killed
ceaseless
Bed of Chaos.

Psh, those don't count as deaths, they count as the intended way to do a terrible fight!

Ruuppa

Haven't played in a while, so I decided to continue on with my NG+ run. Took some deaths due to getting use to the pacing of the combat again. Of course, the last time I played I left off in fucking Anor Londo. lol.

Switched my Enchanted Katana for an upgraded Moonlight Greatsword, No armor, a shield, and the Dark Woodgrain ring. Trying to ween myself off of shield reliance. The game plays a bit faster without it, heh.

Cheesed the
archers
and killed
super Smalls
on my first try.

Ran through New Londo
thru the second entrance and made short work of the Kings
. The special for this sword is crazy.

Killed
ceaseless
Bed of Chaos.

Decided to run through the DLC to try and get
Kalameet's
tail.

It took me about 80 something hours on my first play through and it has taken a bit under 8 to get where I am now (I forgot to buy the master key in my first run).

You should make the Moonlight Butterfly shield to complement your sword. Its special is nifty, but not extremely powerful.

Oh man, you're playing Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard?

I have a friend who swears by mouse+K/B in both of the Dark Souls games. He's a real menace in PVP as well, and I have no idea how he does it. I found it unplayable when I tried.

turbocat

After a two month break from Dark Souls, I picked it back up this week and beat
Demon Firesage
Pinwheel
, and
The Bed of Chaos
. My Divine weapon is way too weak for
The Catacombs
, but I made it through alright. I'm hoping I can beat the game before my move that happens in the next couple of weeks.

After a two month break from Dark Souls, I picked it back up this week and beat
Demon Firesage
Pinwheel
, and
The Bed of Chaos
. My Divine weapon is way too weak for
The Catacombs
, but I made it through alright. I'm hoping I can beat the game before my move that happens in the next couple of weeks.

Maybe you need a better weapons and use the resine to get the lighting effect without using raw power of the weapon

turbocat

Maybe you need a better weapons and use the resine to get the lighting effect without using raw power of the weapon

I think that, since I made it through, since you don't need a Divine weapon for Tomb of the Giants (for the most part), I'm not going to worry about it. I was using a +5 Divine Ricard's Rapier, but my main weapons are a maxed out Raw Claymore and a maxed out Black Knight Halberd. Now to find a bonfire.

Mistel

Banned
I think that, since I made it through, since you don't need a Divine weapon for Tomb of the Giants (for the most part), I'm not going to worry about it. I was using a +5 Divine Ricard's Rapier, but my main weapons are a maxed out Raw Claymore and a maxed out Black Knight Halberd. Now to find a bonfire.
If you're ging for a STR or STR/DEX build a normal upgrade path is better for the claymore.

Tarkus

I winced when I read "raw"

turbocat

I winced when I read "raw"

Hey, that Claymore got my through some tough times!

In all seriousness though, I'm really only using the Black Knight Halberd now, but I do realize that I should reroll the Claymore to work better for me. I am more STR than DEX, but those are the two stats I've put the most into.

Tarkus

Hey, that Claymore got my through some tough times!

In all seriousness though, I'm really only using the Black Knight Halberd now, but I do realize that I should reroll the Claymore to work better for me. I am more STR than DEX, but those are the two stats I've put the most into.
The Claymore is a very nice quality build weapon. At 40/40 STR/DEX, I believe my AR was 525-ish. Plus it has such a great moveset. The BK Halberd is a good weapon too, especially with demons.

Sulik2

So I killed the undead merchant by accident. I am thinking maybe I should restart. I am still in the undead parrish. Not having a bow or being able to buy repair powder seems bad. Should I restart?

So I killed the undead merchant by accident. I am thinking maybe I should restart. I am still in the undead parrish. Not having a bow or being able to buy repair powder seems bad. Should I restart?

There are other vendors who sells arrows later in game, dont worry.

The important thing that vendor had was a key and a curved sword

Repair powder isn't really necessary in DS1, and there are loads of other places to get bows, there's a free one not even that far from the Burg
On a ledge in the Darkroot Basin

For future reference though - even if you hit and aggro an NPC there is a way to de-aggro them. It's costly but the NPC who does it is early in the game
Oswald the guy in the belltower after the Gargoyles
. If you kill/aggro him though, it's tough shit!

There's a couple of NPCs who look like they could be enemies, so if you can't lock on to them - they're not enemies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just came back to Dark Souls after a few months away from gaming due to life stuff. I beat the
Iron Golem
and made my way to Anor Londo, which I managed to run through on my first try. Pretty proud of myself haha. The
Sentinels
are a joke once you get their timing down, and at one point I randomly decided to summon two people, which just happened to be right before
Ornstein and Smough.
Killed them on our first try and got
Soul of Smough.
It was actually a ridiculously easy fight, but I assume that's because I had two other people helping me.

Now I need to decide where to go next. I assume there are four areas that contain the four souls I need, but I'm not really sure which to attempt first. Also I currently have a Zweihander and a Claymore and I'm trying to decide on an upgrade path for each. I'm thinking of taking both up to +15 since I have a strength build, but I also feel like I should have a fire and a divine weapon (I picked up a lightning spear in Sen's Fortress). I have an Iaito +5 and a Man-serpent Greatsword, so I could probably make one into fire and one into divine. Any advice on weapons would be appreciated, I'm really pretty clueless when it comes to weapon upgrade paths.

Oh I also have a bunch of boss souls. Should I use any of them to make special weapons?

Top Bottom