• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

v1perz53

Ugh, I wanted to mess around with a fun theme style build, using Logan's set, sorceries and Moonlight Butterfly Horn and it is proving not to be as fun as expected. I didn't realize how many areas in this game are resistant to magic, I've been using my +5 Fire Estoc that I used to get to Anor Londo more than my +5 MBH. Did all of Duke's Archive and as expected MBH was all but useless, and just started the DLC content and a +5 Fire Estoc is doing more damage than my MBH to the sanctuary guardian even with 40 int. Not that sanctuary guardian is difficult, but it just gets very boring when each attack does like 2% of his HP.

Speaking of sanctuary guardian, I always seem to get phantom inputs on this fight. Half the time when I get knocked down when trying to roll, I will get up and my character will roll, even though I pressed the button a good 4 seconds or so earlier. Never notice it besides on this fight.

Mistel

Banned
I guess I can try that, I'm a bit tired of that weapon since I already did an SL1 run. But yeah, it's good.
How about one of the straight swords then if you two hand them you could use a longsword or a sunlight straight sword and if you get one a side sword maybe?

v1perz53

Still stood back and pelted him with dragon arrows/gough greatbow. Didn't feel confident enough to get up close.

I found Nito to be a lot like the Four Kings, much more dangerous from far off than right up in their face. Four Kings have the direct hit system working against them, where they hit you with the handle of their weapon and barely plink at you if you are basically in their model, but stand a bit out and their melee+magic is very deadly. Similarly with Nito, my first playthrough I killed him by 2Hing the Quelaag Furysword and getting as close as possible and just wailing away. Most of his attacks just sailed over my head, and the only one that did hit was his magic explosion that conveniently kept the skeletons down. Never uses Gravelord Sword Dance when you are that close either.

Of course, now when I fight him I use a bit more finesse and actual strategy, but I was surprised at how much he didn't kick my ass when I got all up in his face on my first playthrough. I definitely got a bit lucky but still.

I found Nito to be a lot like the Four Kings, much more dangerous from far off than right up in their face. Four Kings have the direct hit system working against them, where they hit you with the handle of their weapon and barely plink at you if you are basically in their model, but stand a bit out and their melee+magic is very deadly. Similarly with Nito, my first playthrough I killed him by 2Hing the Quelaag Furysword and getting as close as possible and just wailing away. Most of his attacks just sailed over my head, and the only one that did hit was his magic explosion that conveniently kept the skeletons down. Never uses Gravelord Sword Dance when you are that close either.

Of course, now when I fight him I use a bit more finesse and actual strategy, but I was surprised at how much he didn't kick my ass when I got all up in his face on my first playthrough. I definitely got a bit lucky but still.

Guess I was just too scared then lol

butman

Ok GAF.

I'm on 3 possible ways:
- Face Seath, but i tried once and he killed me and cursed me (now i'm cured, healed at New Londo)

- At the DLC. Killed the Guardian now i'm exploring the Royal Woods.

- At New Londo, i advanced talked to the healer, ge gave me the key, drained the water. And arrive until the second fog door where they are stairs donw, but i reach a dead end all is black and i don't know if i must go or die). BTW someone here told me that here i can get the 20 estus flask.

zewone

Ok GAF.

I'm on 3 possible ways:
- Face Seath, but i tried once and he killed me and cursed me (now i'm cured, healed at New Londo)

- At New Londo, i advanced talked to the healer, ge gave me the key, drained the water. And arrive until the second fog door where they are stairs donw, but i reach a dead end all is black and i don't know if i must go or die). BTW someone here told me that here i can get the 20 estus flask.
You need an item to continue in the 3rd path you mentioned.

Ok GAF.

I'm on 3 possible ways:

Didnt you were on the DLC? I hope you didnt fight sif before the dlc

v1perz53

Didnt you were on the DLC? I hope you didnt fight sif before the dlc

Do you get the
different scene when fighting Sif
from just rescuing him in the DLC or do you have to
kill Manus with Sif summoned
? Because if it is the latter, getting that awesome scene also involves kind of ruining one of the best boss fights in the game, as that fight is
significantly easier with a summon, much more time to heal

v1perz53

21 Purging Stones
2 Twinkling Titanite

Y u do dis, Dark Souls?

Maybe they also changed the drop rate with one of the patches, I generally get more twinkling than purging. I was farming earlier and got 4 twinkling and 1 purging. Small sample size but it's always been like that when I farmed there. At least Frampt eats purging stones for a lot of souls.

Booshka

21 Purging Stones
2 Twinkling Titanite

Y u do dis, Dark Souls?

use the nest drop glitch to get twinkling if you'd like. farming for twinkling pre patch is miserable.

for the glitch, drop a blooming moss, then quit the game, before you pick up the item, drop another blooming moss. rinse and repeat with 99 blooming, red and purple moss if you are crazy until you get the amount you want.

not sure why you are playing pre patched Dark Souls though, game is overall better with the updates.

Do you get the
different scene when fighting Sif
from just rescuing him in the DLC or do you have to
kill Manus with Sif summoned
? Because if it is the latter, getting that awesome scene also involves kind of ruining one of the best boss fights in the game, as that fight is
significantly easier with a summon, much more time to heal

Only rescue him.

21 Purging Stones
2 Twinkling Titanite

Y u do dis, Dark Souls?

I think is better to equip the covetus serpent, farm the giants and buy the titanites to the blacksmith giant.

64 Purging Stones
9 Twinkling

Finally

use the nest drop glitch to get twinkling if you'd like. farming for twinkling pre patch is miserable.

for the glitch, drop a blooming moss, then quit the game, before you pick up the item, drop another blooming moss. rinse and repeat with 99 blooming, red and purple moss if you are crazy until you get the amount you want.

not sure why you are playing pre patched Dark Souls though, game is overall better with the updates.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAT

:|

I think is better to equip the covetus serpent, farm the giants and buy the titanites to the blacksmith giant.

I had the Gold Serpent ring equipped when I was farming. Giant Blacksmith doesn't have the Twinkling Titanites pre-patch.

Donos

64 Purging Stones
9 Twinkling

Finally

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAT

:|

I had the Gold Serpent ring equipped when I was farming. Giant Blacksmith doesn't have the Twinkling Titanites pre-patch.

Oh damn. I recently went to the smith and dumped tons of souls into twinkling titanites since i don't really need to lvl up anymore and want them go to waste.

Ruuppa

Didnt want to google anything on my first playthrough, but the damn hallway with the
metallic boar
had me stumped. :(

Rush past them.
Once you get to the elevator, don't take it up, but go into the corner of that room on the elevator's side. They can't follow you there, and you can kill them at your leisure.

Unless you're talking about the one in
Undead Parish, in which case backstabs work. Or Firebombs/Black Firebombs. Twohanding your weapon will stop you getting staggered when you attack it.

Didnt want to google anything on my first playthrough, but the damn hallway with the
metallic boar
had me stumped. :(

Are you in the undead parish?

First of all take a step down and look at your enviroment, the Metal Boar is "invincible" from the front, there is your first death and clue.

Look a little upside and look for alternative routes if you are still stuck,.......

------------------

If you are still dying take a more detailed look to your right you would find
a soldier protecting something, maybe a stairs so you can take businees from the archers there.

If you still want to take the boar,
the enemies had drop enough fire bombs to throw them to the boars who is higly weak to fire and attack him from the upper zone you are now

If you are in the
Dukes
archives

Use a
fire
weapon and attack them always on their sides.

And dont forget the armored boars have a rare Helmet drop unique from that enemy.

You can poison them too. Or just stay to the side so they can't headbutt or kick you and just two-hand your weapon and smash 'em to pieces. I find it more difficult to backstab the ones in Dukes probably because there's less room.

Or run past them! :p

Ruuppa

You can poison them too. Or just stay to the side so they can't headbutt or kick you and just two-hand your weapon and smash 'em to pieces. I find it more difficult to backstab the ones in Dukes probably because there's less room.

Or run past them! :p

IIRC you can't backstab the ones in Duke's. They have butt-armor.

Hugstable

Banned
Where can I find Titanite Chunks? I need them to upgrade my weapon and I'm finishing up Duke's Archives, but I've barely found any of these throughout the game! :(

Hugstable

Banned
Forshame, posting a direct link to a wiki on such an elementary question. I shun you, my good man, I shun you so much!

As for the question, go kill a dozen Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins with the Gold Serpent Ring on you and 10+ active Humanity. You should get about one Chunk every three Darkwraiths. If you're really lucky, you'll also get some Slabs.

Having Humanity active raises the drop rate? A friend told me recently to farm the
Skellie Babies
since before that I had been relying on trying to farm the Rats of Depths for my Humanity needs

Mistel

Banned
Having Humanity active raises the drop rate? A friend told me recently to farm the
Skellie Babies
since before that I had been relying on trying to farm the Rats of Depths for my Humanity needs
Yes it does. With the babies careful as sometimes the drop goes through the floor.

Top Bottom