• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

daninthemix

Not all undead can revive after suffering a fatal wound, the chosen undead type is the one who can still retain their will after dying several times so it can overcome death and continue moving in need of more souls and finally tranforming into a Great Soul (and possibly a Dark Soul) while tarkus havent got the will to revive after falling from the roof or maybe he was already too hollowed to try to revive compared to Oscar (the guy from the asylum) who took his time to revive but got hollow.

Thanks man, very enlightening.

gaming_noob

I put my whitesoap stone in Anor Londo to assist in the Ornstein & Smough fights but no one summoned me for more than 30 min. I was at level 80 at that point. Is it true that only players who are within 10 levels of you can summon you from your whitesoap stone? If true then I guess players who are already at level 70+ wouldn't need my help or have most likely gone beyond that area. I also attacked Gwynevere so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it...

Ruuppa

I put my whitesoap stone in Anor Londo to assist in the Ornstein & Smough fights but no one summoned me for more than 30 min. I was at level 80 at that point. Is it true that only players who are within 10 levels of you can summon you from your whitesoap stone? If true then I guess players who are already at level 70+ wouldn't need my help or have most likely gone beyond that area. I also attacked Gwynevere so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it...

At that SL you're almost twice the SL that's optimal for that area. You'll be really hard pressed to get any summons at that level there, even with the NG+ crowd taken into account.

The DLC and the big four bosses will be the ones that would give you the most success for co-op at that level.

gaming_noob

At that SL you're almost twice the SL that's optimal for that area. You'll be really hard pressed to get any summons at that level there, even with the NG+ crowd taken into account.

The DLC and the big four bosses will be the ones that would give you the most success for co-op at that level.

so much time wasted :(
Oh well, starting a new character. Going to max out pyromancer and silver knight armor set with the Eagle shield :D

Guevara

For reference I beat O&S at about level 35. At this point most players are probably zipping through the game, having beaten it several times before.

SL 80 is right about endgame for me on a NG run, maybe try the three old soul bosses?

--

Strength build is so fun, first I had the claymore which is incredible. Then I got lucky and got the Black Knight Halberd drop and as soon as I leveled strength enough murdered everything basically.

spliced

I went back to playing this for awhile and 3 things stood out.

I just don't get the bridge dragon, I've killed him different ways but when I try to duplicate it on the next run he kills me. His healing is so annoying.

I now understand the Man-Serpent Greatsword love. In the NG+'s this thing rocks. It hits very hard, it has a pretty fast swing for a big weapon and it has a nice compact swing and good range without obnoxiously flinging you all over the place like some of the other big weapons. Plus it's weight is reasonable.

I finally found damage output I am satisfied with against the 4 Kings. MSGS buffed with Sunlight Blade and Power Within enabled. I was tearing through 4 Kings on NG+ in a way I didn't think was possible.

v1perz53

I went back to playing this for awhile and 3 things stood out.

I just don't get the bridge dragon, I've killed him different ways but when I try to duplicate it on the next run he kills me. His healing is so annoying.

The bridge dragon is still the one thing in this game I am unsure as to how the devs want you to actually approach this. Do they intend you to just skip past it every time? I can kill it 100% of the time without it healing, but shooting it from afar with an arrow, running at it and hitting its face twice, then running back downstairs until he flies back, only to repeat this forever just doesn't seem like what was intended.

I did notice that using a melee weapon with this strategy he never healed, but every time I substituted melee for either sorceries or pyromancies he healed halfway through. Odd.

The bridge dragon is still the one thing in this game I am unsure as to how the devs want you to actually approach this. Do they intend you to just skip past it every time? I can kill it 100% of the time without it healing, but shooting it from afar with an arrow, running at it and hitting its face twice, then running back downstairs until he flies back, only to repeat this forever just doesn't seem like what was intended.

I did notice that using a melee weapon with this strategy he never healed, but every time I substituted melee for either sorceries or pyromancies he healed halfway through. Odd.

I guess it was meant to be that way. It was made so that players are to find loopholes to kill it. No straight way.

Ruuppa

I guess it was meant to be that way. It was made so that players are to find loopholes to kill it. No straight way.

Facetanking him with copious fire resistance and Flash Sweat is the way I usually kill him. He very rarely does any physical attacks, so you can mostly ignore that defense.

The reward, or the lack of it, makes it feel like the devs only wanted him there to be an environmental threat rather than something to kill.

Sulik2

Man Knight Atorias is rough. Really struggling with this fight. I might just throw on full stone and a greatshield and try tanking him instead of dodging.

v1perz53

Facetanking him with copious fire resistance and Flash Sweat is the way I usually kill him. He very rarely does any physical attacks, so you can mostly ignore that defense.

The reward, or the lack of it, makes it feel like the devs only wanted him there to be an environmental threat rather than something to kill.

My problem with face tanking with fire resist is that regardless of your fire resist some of the breath attacks have the exact same knock down, so he can actually stun lock you to death. It is kind of rare for him to exclusively use these breath attacks until you die if you have enough fire resist, but still annoying.

Anyway, he is only worth 10,000 souls, so by the point in the game you have the gear and skills to kill him for real, he probably isn't worth it. Kind of funny that way.

What the hell happened to the PC version? GFWL won't let me login, and the page to reset the password is unavailable or doesn't exist.

A+

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem. And I think Microsoft actually deleted my GFWL account. Because when I attempt to reset the password they claim "the account doesn't exist anymore". (When I know for a fact that I'm using the right username/email because I have a previous reset password email saved.)

FFS Microsoft.

So I am having stupid amounts of trouble getting past those fucking Archers in Anor Londo, I was so pissed when I lost 40k souls because I died when I had 20k while I was there, so I work my way back, retrieve, and decided fuck and tried to get back to the bonfire because I couldn't fucking kill them at the moment and was more worried about the souls and I fucked up and walked off the edge as the silver knight just HAPPENED to throw a spear at me and kill me mid fall.

Didn't know you could invade someone while they were fighting the gargoyle on the bridge in Anor Londo. It was pretty unfair to be honest, specially after I threw a Lloyd's Talisman at the guy and he had to run away. Felt bad for a couple of seconds after I beat him until I remembered the guy was in the list of sinners. He was probably an asshole to someone else so I made him pay.

Being a Blade of the Darkmoon is so rewarding :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My problem with face tanking with fire resist is that regardless of your fire resist some of the breath attacks have the exact same knock down, so he can actually stun lock you to death. It is kind of rare for him to exclusively use these breath attacks until you die if you have enough fire resist, but still annoying.

Anyway, he is only worth 10,000 souls, so by the point in the game you have the gear and skills to kill him for real, he probably isn't worth it. Kind of funny that way.

Isnt there a patch of the bridge right near where he lands that his aerial fire attack doesnt hit? I just use that.

Ruuppa

Isnt there a patch of the bridge right near where he lands that his aerial fire attack doesnt hit? I just use that.

It protects you from most of his attacks, but I think one of his attacks still has a chance to hit you when he is physically on the bridge.

gaming_noob

For reference I beat O&S at about level 35. At this point most players are probably zipping through the game, having beaten it several times before.

SL 80 is right about endgame for me on a NG run, maybe try the three old soul bosses?

--

Strength build is so fun, first I had the claymore which is incredible. Then I got lucky and got the Black Knight Halberd drop and as soon as I leveled strength enough murdered everything basically.

I've never personally beat O&S below level 50. I'm trying this time to beat them at level 30-35 but I'm going to farm souls to max out pyromancy flame and getting Quelaags Furysword first :p

Sinfamy

Just finished my second Soul Level 1 playthrough, and maxed out my Giant Armor and Lightning Battle Axe.

There is no game more satisfying then this, especially when you invade a high level and take him out at SL 1. Being invaded is the most fun ever, I sit still and just take hits for like a minute straight lol.

v1perz53

Yea as Ruuppa said, he can hit the safe spot when he is on the bridge and breathes depending on his position. It is all pretty random (hence my problem with it), I wish that whether he used breath attacks or melee was based on how close you were like some other bosses. Honestly, they should've just made him fly away once he took enough damage for you to get the Drake Sword, then he would be considered more of an environmental hazard than an enemy to kill.

Sulik2

So I am having stupid amounts of trouble getting past those fucking Archers in Anor Londo, I was so pissed when I lost 40k souls because I died when I had 20k while I was there, so I work my way back, retrieve, and decided fuck and tried to get back to the bonfire because I couldn't fucking kill them at the moment and was more worried about the souls and I fucked up and walked off the edge as the silver knight just HAPPENED to throw a spear at me and kill me mid fall.

Just run up the middle bridge and turn to the right one until he draws his sword then run away again and back down the path, he will always fall off. Do the same for the left archer. Problem solved.

Ruuppa

Just run up the middle bridge and turn to the right one until he draws his sword then run away again and back down the path, he will always fall off. Do the same for the left archer. Problem solved.

Sometime his pathing *doesn't* screw him over, and he waltzes up right in your face. At that point you hopefully know how to parry, or have a proper shield on you.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Another option, if you are so equipped, and patient enough, is to use poison arrows. That's what I ended up doing. My natural reaction when an enemy tries to snipe me from afar - these archers, or Blighttown dart dudes - is to turn the tables on them.

For the Anor Londo archers, I stood just out of the range of their "arrows" - which was all the way at the back of the platform before the sloped pathway - and poisoned them, and waited. Didn't have very good bow at that point, so I literally lobbed the arrows at them in the most pathetic and weak way possible. Did not feel heroic at all, if that is important to you.

v1perz53

Beat Artorias first try last night! fist pumping gesture!

Level ~85, 40 STR and 35 END, I feel just about unstoppable.

Congrats! Now just wait until you get to the last DLC boss and see how unstoppable you feel... Then beat him and experience the incredible Dark Souls high all over again!

Sulik2

I finally beat him by going heavy armor and just tanking him. Took 15 eustus flasks for me. Grats on doing it first try, he aint no joke.

Guevara

I finally beat him by going heavy armor and just tanking him. Took 15 eustus flasks for me. Grats on doing it first try, he aint no joke.

Thanks, tank build is oh so satisfying. I never went so heavy on prior playthroughs.

Black Iron greatshield and the END to absorb hits really stops everything, even bosses. Next I'm going to make Artoria's greatshield.

I was doing pitiful chip damage with Int-based weapons and Drake Sword before I finally just said "screw it" and leveled up my other attributes and Black Knight Halberded him down.

Guevara

I was doing pitiful chip damage with Int-based weapons and Drake Sword before I finally just said "screw it" and leveled up my other attributes and Black Knight Halberded him down.

Right now I'm deciding between the BK halberd or the BK greataxe. The halberd move set is really good and got me through the second half of the game, but the axe does more damage apparently.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yea as Ruuppa said, he can hit the safe spot when he is on the bridge and breathes depending on his position. It is all pretty random (hence my problem with it), I wish that whether he used breath attacks or melee was based on how close you were like some other bosses. Honestly, they should've just made him fly away once he took enough damage for you to get the Drake Sword, then he would be considered more of an environmental hazard than an enemy to kill.

Then it wouldnt be a demon's souls call back.

Ruuppa

Right now I'm deciding between the BK halberd or the BK greataxe. The halberd move set is really good and got me through the second half of the game, but the axe does more damage apparently.

The axe is amazing, and frightfully fast. Definitely up there as one of the best overall weapons in the game. In fact, all of the BK weapons are amazing. There's a definite reason why they're really hard to get in early- to mid-game, which in turn makes it somewhat more difficult to plan a build around using them.

IIRC BK Greataxe was even nerfed at some point because it was too amazing.

Edit: Players coming from DkS2 will be hugely surprised at how good the axe is, since it was pretty horrid in DkS2.

I never really thought about the Greataxe. I just know that Black Knight Halberd is around the whole game if you're lucky enough (which I did get) so it was the first thing I thought of. Now that I think about it, I might not have had the Greataxe anyway.

Sulik2

Holy crap, Manus is just. How on earth are there videos of people beating him without getting hit? He is so fast. And so much damage. GAH. I have no idea if I will ever be able to beat him.

Holy crap, Manus is just. How on earth are there videos of people beating him without getting hit? He is so fast. And so much damage. GAH. I have no idea if I will ever be able to beat him.

Yeah, he's one of the hardest bosses in the game for sure. He's incredibly aggressive, giving you very little time to ever heal. Keep practicing him, and try to learn his moveset really well. I'd recommend not even trying to attack for a couple of fights, just get the dodging down. Once you've done that it should go much easier.

Mogwai

Yeah, he's one of the hardest bosses in the game for sure. He's incredibly aggressive, giving you very little time to ever heal. Keep practicing him, and try to learn his moveset really well. I'd recommend not even trying to attack for a couple of fights, just get the dodging down. Once you've done that it should go much easier.
This is great advice. I usually do the same, just trying to get down the patterns and survive without too much effort. Afterwards it's relatively easy to add in hits whenever you spot an opening.

That said, Manus and his magic attacks can be quite tricky to dodge at first. But very satisfying when you get it right.

Manus is quite difficult. He chains combos, so try to dodge his attacks instead of blocking else your stamina deplets in no time.

Donos

Next boss is going to bring you back to reality :)

Cloranthy Ring was essential for me since i was tanking him with Balder Shield +15. When you got his normal attacks down you have to be ready for his magic attacks. Fast switching to Crest shield +5 saved my life.

Sometimes he chains his magic attacks which come from different directions. Surviving 5 of them is not that easy.

Still love that guy.

gaming_noob

What's the lowdown on divine weapons? I'm trying to get past Catacombs with as low level as possible. do i have to level up my weapon to +5 or +10 before I can give it a divine magic? what ember do I need first? Sorry every other game webwsite is blocked at work...

Top Bottom