• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Sulik2

And Gwyn is dead and I rekindled the bonfire. He was fairly easy once I quit trying to learn how to parry on the last boss of the game and just rolled and blocked him like any other enemy. He was weaksauce compared to any of the DLC bosses.

I was hoping for some sort of ending. That was underwhelming to say the least. Still I started another game immediately.

v1perz53

And Gwyn is dead and I rekindled the bonfire. He was fairly easy once I quit trying to learn how to parry on the last boss of the game and just rolled and blocked him like any other enemy. He was weaksauce compared to any of the DLC bosses.

I was hoping for some sort of ending. That was underwhelming to say the least. Still I started another game immediately.

It kind of purposefully has a vague non ending, because depending on how deep you are in the lore and who you believe, kindling or not kindling the first flame means different things. That would be ruined if they definitively told you what were the consequences of your actions.

It fits with the theme of the game, you don't know if anything the serpents or anyone else told you is true or if they are just using you, so once you light the flame, you have no idea what will happen from that point on. You just have to trust that you made the right decision, though is either decision really right, or are there issues with both? Did you end the curse, did you save anyone? Who knows, only time will tell.

Donos

It happens for me in anor London haha.. Gravelord covenant system was really fun, they screwed it up in DaS2

Was only the second time for me. First one was in Anor Londo to. In Ng+ just after i left the room with the third bonfire (and Solaire), the usual Silver Knight came running but then there was suddenly a red Silver Knight standing right beside me. Real WTF moment.

All the other times there is just the message popping up that "disasters are gone after the ...." without seeing a BP enemy. Happens almost every day when i play for an hour.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There isn't but the rat covenant can be thought as next version of gravelotds. Rat cov is pretty cool. But doesn't come off as fun as gravelord.

No...Rat covenant guards an area against players that get summoned in to their world. Gravelords fuck with other people's worlds. Overall the bell keepers and the rat covenant are more successful takes on similair ideas the gravelords mostly failed at (though the ratbro have problems because they arent areas people need or want to stick around in, unlike the belfries). I definitely would have liked a proper version of the gravelords with dark souls 2 though

Fraktruck

Neo Member
currently working on O+S on my first playthrough...oof.

finding it way easier to kill Smough first but only managed it once so far.

Donos

Use Pillars. Bait Smough to make an attack close to a pillar and when he makes it, get behind it to be save. Then is the moment to attack Ornstein as he will circle/dash around the pillar pretty fast while Smough will take his time around it. If you are a STR build just tank 2-3 hits with Ornstein an then run to the next pillar and repeat.

Only really dangerous attack from solo SSJ Smough is his lightning stomp.

Of course it also depends on the lvl/gear you have. Ornstein took big chunks of dmg from my Claymore +14 so better upgrade your main weapon.

Maybe i'm going to try killing Smough first in NG++ but the way above worked so easy two times already.

gaming_noob

What level are you at?
Summon a couple of players to assist...there's usually a bunch by the bonfire.

It's all I do now when I play. I leave my sign and wait. Level 40, +10 Eagle Shield, Silver Knight armor set, +5 Quelaags Furysword...basically designed to annihilate S&O with ease.

Donos

Don't summon. Get better. Do you even li.. uhm roll? Game is perfectly playable without ever summoning NPCs or real ppl.

What's your most horrible secret about your playing Dark Souls? The time where you were such a goddamn scrub, but you won't tell anyone? EXCEPT US.
I stood out of range from the toxic dragon beast in the Valley of the Drakes and just shot at it with a Heavy Crossbow.

I think it took around sixty bolts hahaha

No fucks were given seeing as I'm still going through my first game without a guide. I have lost empathy and/or pity.

Sulik2

I stood out of range from the toxic dragon beast in the Valley of the Drakes and just shot at it with a Heavy Crossbow.

No fucks were given seeing as I'm still going through my first game without a guide. I have lost empathy and/or pity.

The first rule of dark souls, there are no rules. Everything can kill you at the drop of the hat, if you can find an edge take it.

I actually tried to kill it using melee attacks on my first playtrough.. haha. took me lot of tries and i was disappointed with the amount of souls it gives.

Donos

Getting all the rare weapons through forgeing will take some souls (need to bring every weapon to +10 first). Large titanites aren't cheap too.
Glad for the forest protectors which give around 20.000 - 21.000 souls every run. With maxed power withing, the protectors are melting under 2-3 Clay +15 strikes

Maybe i'm going to do a Skeleton babies session soon to get humanity+souls.

6 trophies left for the plat.

Warrior of Sunlight trophy is going to be a pain in the ass. Need to get to faith 25 -_-. I think my faith is at 7. Don't think there will be much summoning for bosses at lvl 124 to get the faith requirement down. Only time i tried it now before O+S, it was a troll group summoning me...
Maybe better chances for Manus or 4 Kings...

I actually tried to kill it using melee attacks on my first playtrough.. haha. took me lot of tries and i was disappointed with the amount of souls it gives.
I'm melee based as well and got a Black Knight Sword so early I'm going to do another character next so I can experience the whole upgrading thing, though twinkling titanite is hard to find I've managed.

Loving this game though, I'm slow, but just figured out Sen's Fortress.

eot

Banned
I just played the first expansion pack for Quake and one of the new enemies makes the exact same sound as the mimics in Dark Souls, which retroactively makes that expansion way creepier. What is going on!? I should probably record it to check that I'm not crazy.

I just played the first expansion pack for Quake and one of the new enemies makes the exact same sound as the mimics in Dark Souls, which retroactively makes that expansion way creepier. What is going on!? I should probably record it to check that I'm not crazy.
Dark Souls uses a couple stock sound effects.

And I'm trying to do a "beginner" playthrough. Medium roll, Longsword, no skipping areas. I missed the bridge bonfire in Blighttown and made it almost to the bottom level, then got killed by the clusterfuck of fire bugs, flies, and toxic guarding the Falchion. It's bananas down there.

Man, going back to other games after Dark Souls is hard. I just finished my SL1 playthrough, with no pyro on DLC bosses or
Gwyn
. Was so incredibly satisfying to master
Manus
. This run really raised my love of that boss. I put him up there with
Artorias
now as the two best in the game by far. Not even gonna say how long it took me to beat him, but man I loved it.

Anyway, after that run I didn't really know what else to do and didn't want to Souls myself out, so to speak, before Bloodborne, so I stopped. Just started Last of Us and so far, eeehh. I already miss Dark Souls.

Mogwai

Man, going back to other games after Dark Souls is hard. I just finished my SL1 playthrough, with no pyro on DLC bosses or
Gwyn
. Was so incredibly satisfying to master
Manus
. This run really raised my love of that boss. I put him up there with
Artorias
now as the two best in the game by far. Not even gonna say how long it took me to beat him, but man I loved it.

Anyway, after that run I didn't really know what else to do and didn't want to Souls myself out, so to speak, before Bloodborne, so I stopped. Just started Last of Us and so far, eeehh. I already miss Dark Souls.
I feel you. The more Souls I play, the more I realize that other developers just don't graps the "gameplay" element of their games.

That being said, I fInd that TLOU is a very solid experience gameplay-wise. Much better than Uncharted.

Just beat Artorias on NG+2. That DLC is just too good :)

Do base level/ equipment runs as every class. Though you can upgrade your weapons if you don't want every boss fight to last 20 minutes.

Yeah, I was thinking a OHK-run might be fun (would definitely upgrade my weapon though, already had to hit Manus like 37 times with a Lightning Hand Axe +5) but I think I'll just let my anticipation build for Bloodborne and jump into that at launch feeling thirsty. On the other hand, I've never played sorcerer, so upgrading intelligence only and doing a glass cannon run, hmmmm....

I feel you. The more Souls I play, the more I realize that other developers just don't graps the "gameplay" element of their games.

That being said, I fInd that TLOU is a very solid experience gameplay-wise. Much better than Uncharted.

Just beat Artorias on NG+2. That DLC is just too good :)

Yeah, I'm only 90 minutes in, and actually U2 is one of my favorite games ever, so I'm sure I'll be enjoying TLOU by the end. I'm just still going through Souls withdrawals. :)

Mogwai

Yeah, I'm only 90 minutes in, and actually U2 is one of my favorite games ever, so I'm sure I'll be enjoying TLOU by the end. I'm just still going through Souls withdrawals. :)
Haha, yeah. We have the privilege of living with Souls addiction.

A curse and a blessing at the same time. Quite fitting ;)

Donos

Just lost 400.000 souls. Serves me right. Every time ... evrey time you get careless, the games kicks you in the nuts with the easiest enemis ... even tried to jump at my PS3 and shut it down but it was to late. -_-

Best thing is that i was on my way to Oswald to buy some Rings of Sacrifice because i did not felt safe running around with this many souls. Was going to buy tons of large titanites and upgrade/forge a dozen rare weapons after it ...

Hayabusi

Entered Anor Londo (should I spoiler tag this?) for the first time ever! :) So good and so satisfying. I hated the beginning of Sen's Fortress and was so happy when I beat the boss at the first try.

Accidentaly entered the
painting
and hope I can get out of it. Not sure if I want
to fight the boss. You can't leave until beaten when you've challenged her, right?

Entered Anor Londo (should I spoiler tag this?) for the first time ever! :) So good and so satisfying. I hated the beginning of Sen's Fortress and was so happy when I beat the boss at the first try.

Accidentaly entered the
painting
and hope I can get out of it. Not sure if I want
to fight the boss. You can't leave until beaten when you've challenged her, right?

Why did you attack Fuzzy Waifu?

Hayabusi

Why did you attack Fuzzy Waifu?

I haven't (yet). ;)

Oh, and I have to say: As much as I like DS2 (which also was kind of an entry for me, because I think it is much more accessible - never made it far in DS1 before playing/finishing DS2) - DS1's world "feels" so much better connected.
I know, nothing new. Just wanted to say it again. ;)

I haven't (yet). ;)

Oh, and I have to say: As much as I like DS2 (which also was kind of an entry for me, because I think it is much more accessible - never made it far in DS1 before playing/finishing DS2) - DS1's world "feels" so much better connected.

heidetower_praise.jpg

v1perz53

I haven't (yet). ;)

This totally true for me as well. Always having fast travel in DkS 2 really kills any connection the world has, and any joy you get for finding shortcuts. Like, in DkS 1 when you get to the Hellkite Drake and duck down the stairs to kick down a ladder, you are so happy to finally have found a bonfire. Then you look around and go, this place seems familiar.. ooh! I loved seeing how the world connected and thinking I had gone so far only to unlock a connection back to where I came. In DkS 2, the whole world is like 5 separate straight paths branching out of a single hub, which do not connect together. I love DkS 2 but I much prefer DkS 1's world.

I haven't (yet). ;)

You can leave after you talk to her. You can come back anytime if you want to fight her/ are a murderer.

Caoz

DS confessions:

I just tanked Artorias with Iron Flesh after trying to get him fair and square (Pyromancy build). I could never pass 50% of his health... I was beginning to think he was regenerating his health somehow.

With Iron Flesh I got him on the second try.

Also, it took me between 20-30 hours to get to gargoyles the first time. I think I spent a few hours trying to get Capra demon first, plus doing all kinds of farming....

This is officially my most played game of all time, and my first system was the OG gameboy... I have a bunch of gems on my steam library but no intention of playing them.

DS confessions:

I just tanked Artorias with Iron Flesh after trying to get him fair and square (Pyromancy build). I could never pass 50% of his health... I was beginning to think he was regenerating his health somehow.

With Iron Flesh I got him on the second try.
Holy shit, does this work? I fought him about 20 times yesterday and couldn't win. A few times I had him down to 2 or 3 more hits and I couldn't finish him off. I had pretty good luck using Power Within, but he'd always mix up his rotation and burn through my stamina.

I'm wearing Havels, Stone Greatshield, and Black Knight Sword +5. I can tank ok until he charges up, and then it's hit or miss whether he chews up my stamina before I can recharge and heal.

So don't let him charge up. He'll always roll backwards twice before charging up, but you probably can't catch him in Havel's armor. Try throwing knives maybe.

I just go fast roll against Artorias. The fight is all about knowing which direction to roll in for each attack.

So don't let him charge up. He'll always roll backwards twice before charging up, but you probably can't catch him in Havel's armor. Try throwing knives maybe.

I just go fast roll against Artorias. The fight is all about knowing which direction to roll in for each attack.
I always used his charge time to heal and regain stamina. But maybe I'll throw on some lighter armor so I can move faster and to knock him out of the charge. With the damage I'm doing with the BKN Sword +5 it shouldn't take too many hits I hope...

GRIP

Got to S&O battle finally, jeez, way meaner than the oft-decried archers.

Is level 70 against them sound about right or am I overkilling it?

A little high for that area but not horribly over leveled. I think the usual summon range for them is somewhere around 50-60 SL.

Booshka

I always used his charge time to heal and regain stamina. But maybe I'll throw on some lighter armor so I can move faster and to knock him out of the charge. With the damage I'm doing with the BKN Sword +5 it shouldn't take too many hits I hope...

The merchant behind you sells Green Blossoms, buy a couple and use one before you enter the fog door, and sometime during the fight when you have time. They will make your stamina management much easier. Try not to attack him too much in one combo, he recovers quickly and you leave yourself vulnerable if he starts swinging or backs away. You should always have enough stamina to block or roll away from him, and also be able to chase after him when he backs up to charge up.

When he is charging, make sure you 2 hand your weapon and go to town with some R1's until he gets staggered out, then back off and let him come after you.

Fraktruck

Neo Member
Finally killed O+S (solo) after clearing catacombs and the forests and getting some missed stuff from BTown. I can't recall feeling so accomplished in a video game before.

Donos

Now i have only 3 trophies left before platinum. Although i had SLVL of 120 i got summoned a lot to help beat Gwyn and got the faith requirement for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant down. All good players. Now i have to beat Gwyn myself to advance to NG++ for Sifs and Smoughs soul.
Still lovely fight against Gwyn. No time to breath. Had two close tries but died both times when my stamina was down and he broke my guard. Still want him to beat again without parry/summoning. Edit: beat him now the thirt time almost without loosing any hp. Spaceing his attacks and hitting him with R2 thrust (claymore) after his kick or grab was the way to go.

I think after this i'm done with this game. 130 hours now (probably 135 hours when i get the plat) and i have seen everything the game had to offer except a magic character playthrough . Going to sell the disc and try to get a cheap used DaS II copy.

Donos

You haven't seen everything if you haven't tried playthroughs with all kinds of weapons.

I have all the weapons and tried every one of them but besides the stats i only like the complete moveset of a handful.

What i don't have seen are all the miracles/pyromancies/sorceries except some off them from opponents in PvP but i don't need a magic playthrough with them.
Souls games are primarily melee games for me. Regrettet that i started DeS with Royal which was "easy mode" for the first 10 hours till i stopped using soul arrow.

Sure, i could make a playthrough with a completely different build than my Str char but i don't have the desire for it. Game gave me all the fun i needed. DeS+DaS gave me around 250 hours of joy and some ours of hate/anger/despair ;)
Would be different if i would be till at school/university but my playtime is rather limited nowadays. The souls games are probably going to stay my only platinum trophies games.

Booshka

Now i have only 3 trophies left before platinum. Although i had SLVL of 120 i got summoned a lot to help beat Gwyn and got the faith requirement for the Warrior of Sunlight covenant down. All good players. Now i have to beat Gwyn myself to advance to NG++ for Sifs and Smoughs soul.
Still lovely fight against Gwyn. No time to breath. Had two close tries but died both times when my stamina was down and he broke my guard. Still want him to beat again without parry/summoning. Edit: beat him now the thirt time almost without loosing any hp. Spaceing his attacks and hitting him with R2 thrust (claymore) after his kick or grab was the way to go.

I think after this i'm done with this game. 130 hours now (probably 135 hours when i get the plat) and i have seen everything the game had to offer except a magic character playthrough . Going to sell the disc and try to get a cheap used DaS II copy.
Don't sell Dark Souls 1 to get Dark Souls 2, whatever amount you get for DkS1 isn't worth the disappointment of DkS2. It's still a game worth playing, but it's not worth getting rid of Dark Souls 1 for.

ElTopo

Banned
Re-installed Dark Souls 1 having conquered DS2 with 175 hours on it. I have only 70-ish hours on DS1 and am an in the midst of NG+. Forgot the setting I used with DSfix but I was constantly getting sub 20FPS so I unlocked the framerate and locked it at 30FPS and by some miracle it worked and the game didn't crash on startup. Only slight problem I have now is that I can't disable the appearance of the mouse cursor.

Any notable weapons I should pick up this run? I have the Great Scythe maxed out with Chaos Flame and love it. I also have the Artorais Greatsheild which is easily the best shield in the game. I'd like to pick up the fire sword you get from defeating the giant spider, I like how fast it is and the moveset. The Great Scythe is fantastic (Debatably the best weapon in the game) but it's a tad slow.

Any notable weapons I should pick up this run? I have the Great Scythe maxed out with Chaos Flame and love it. I also have the Artorais Greatsheild which is easily the best shield in the game. I'd like to pick up the fire sword you get from defeating the giant spider, I like how fast it is and the moveset. The Great Scythe is fantastic (Debatably the best weapon in the game) but it's a tad slow.

The chaos blade is pretty damn good for crits, the black night greatsword or the zwei are monsters if you get them earlier for strengh builds

ElTopo

Banned
Also, I'm running a strength build. This playthrough I'm running the Havel set. Unfortunately I'm fatrolling (even with Havel's ring on) so I'm hoping to upgrade Endurance enough to avoid that.

Top Bottom