• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

turbocat

What's the lowdown on divine weapons? I'm trying to get past Catacombs with as low level as possible. do i have to level up my weapon to +5 or +10 before I can give it a divine magic? what ember do I need first? Sorry every other game webwsite is blocked at work...

Give Andre of Astora the Divine Ember, and he'll be able to upgrade your +5 weapons to Divine. From the Dark Souls Wiki:

Divine Ember - Found in the Darkroot Garden, in the area where the Moonlight Butterfly is fought. Cross the bridge and climb the tower to find the ember at the top

I rocked a highly upgraded Divine Ricard's Rapier in NG, and in NG+, I went with a Divine Zweihander.

NeoGiff

Wow, I just annihilated the Four Kings on my second attempt.

The first time I went in with Havel's set on and a Halberd +11. I came really close to winning, and only realised afterwards that I hadn't been two-handing the halberd.

The second time I wore Havel's set again, but I had taken the time to adapt to my Black Knight Greataxe and upgrade it fully to +5. I remembered to two-hand it, and the fight became ridiculously easy.

Mistel

Banned
What's the lowdown on divine weapons? I'm trying to get past Catacombs with as low level as possible. do i have to level up my weapon to +5 or +10 before I can give it a divine magic? what ember do I need first? Sorry every other game webwsite is blocked at work...
If you really wanted to you can kill the necromancers and peg it past the skeletons and do a catacombs run without the need to manufacture a divine weapon.

Donos

Wow, I just annihilated the Four Kings on my second attempt.

The first time I went in with Havel's set on and a Halberd +11. I came really close to winning, and only realised afterwards that I hadn't been two-handing the halberd.

The second time I wore Havel's set again, but I had taken the time to adapt to my Black Knight Greataxe and upgrade it fully to +5. I remembered to two-hand it, and the fight became ridiculously easy.

Havel's set is sooo ugly. Glad that Armor is not that important in Souls games (still way more important in DaS than DeS because of upgrades). Most of the time i wear just good looking sets and only change for problems with bosses.

gaming_noob

Give Andre of Astora the Divine Ember, and he'll be able to upgrade your +5 weapons to Divine. From the Dark Souls Wiki:

Divine Ember - Found in the Darkroot Garden, in the area where the Moonlight Butterfly is fought. Cross the bridge and climb the tower to find the ember at the top

I rocked a highly upgraded Divine Ricard's Rapier in NG, and in NG+, I went with a Divine Zweihander.

Thanks for the info, breh!

If you really wanted to you can kill the necromancers and peg it past the skeletons and do a catacombs run without the need to manufacture a divine weapon.

Tried that a few times but I'm far too weak to make it past them. I'm on Wanderer armor (not upgraded) and just trying to preserve the souls to upgrade pyromancer flame.

Btw is there an explanation as to why the Pyromancer Flame +15 needs to be "reset" to leveing up 1-5 in Blight Town without giving it a different name?

Mistel

Banned
Tried that a few times but I'm far too weak to make it past them. I'm on Wanderer armor (not upgraded) and just trying to preserve the souls to upgrade pyromancer flame.
You can use different armor without knowing your stats it's hard to suggest anything better with similar weight.
Btw is there an explanation as to why the Pyromancer Flame +15 needs to be "reset" to leveing up 1-5 in Blight Town without giving it a different name?
It becomes an ascend pyromancy flame which has better scaling and damage gives you a high damage adjustment on pyromancies.

v1perz53

Holy crap, Manus is just. How on earth are there videos of people beating him without getting hit? He is so fast. And so much damage. GAH. I have no idea if I will ever be able to beat him.

Manus was the boss on my first playthrough that finally made me have to fully decide on a playstyle. Up until then I was medium armor mid roll medium shield, with equal emphasis on blocking and rolling. Manus was like "nope, you gotta pick". So I dropped to fast roll, light armor and started going at it. Took a ton of tries as I got better at rolling, but man is he a satisfying boss to beat with a pure fast roll strategy, you feel like such a boss.

What I actually found the hardest was using the stupid pendant to block the dark attacks (because I still wasn't as good at rolling to roll through them) and switching back and forth between estus. Funny, because doing it now is such second nature, it really is incredible how much better you get at Souls games after playing a lot.

Yea it is stupid that they didn't give it a new name, but it actually has a new icon (the fire swirl is bigger) and is an ascended pyro flame as stormtrooper said above. Your ascended flame +0 is better than your old one was at +15, and can be further upgraded to +5 for the best possible pyromancies.

I didn't go fast roll only until my 3rd character on NG+, who had medium armor most of the game, but the Super Londo Bros. just ignore that stupid "armor" shit and 1-2 hit you on NG+ regardless. So now it's all fast roll all the time unless I can carry a greatshield, and even then I try to get fast roll.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy crap, Manus is just. How on earth are there videos of people beating him without getting hit? He is so fast. And so much damage. GAH. I have no idea if I will ever be able to beat him.
Yeah, beating Manus at SL1 is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in a game. Took me so many retries, and when I finally won I swear to Gwyn my hands were shaking. Haha.

v1perz53

I didn't go fast roll only until my 3rd character on NG+, who had medium armor most of the game, but the Super Londo Bros. just ignore that stupid "armor" shit and 1-2 hit you on NG+ regardless. So now it's all fast roll all the time unless I can carry a greatshield, and even then I try to get fast roll.

I can do greatshields in Dark Souls 2 because parrying isn't that useful, but I cannot give up parrying in Dark Souls 1. There are so many things that are susceptible to it including bosses, and the iFrames you get during a riposte are so useful for group encounters. Plus I just feel like a badass swatting an enemies weapon away as I plunge my sword into their chest. Greatshield's higher stability never really seemed that useful to me compared to parrying.

Yeah, beating Manus at SL1 is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in a game. Took me so many retries, and when I finally won I swear to Gwyn my hands were shaking. Haha.

I'm just glad you can run to Manus from the bonfire without fighting a single enemy, so you can at least retry fairly quickly. Though that one sorcerer before the ramp down to him can be a huge troll.

Guevara

I've always just used the Straight Sword of Astora, which is a holy weapon and has relatively low requirements.

It's weak, but it also helps with the Nito fight.

Riho Hyena

Neo Member
What's your most horrible secret about your playing Dark Souls? The time where you were such a goddamn scrub, but you won't tell anyone? EXCEPT US.

I have a below-average reaction time, so I STILL haven't beaten Gwyn. I feel horrid, but I spent at least three hours trying to defeat him, but cannot get parrying down. Am I... a... a scrub?

Guevara

What's your most horrible secret about your playing Dark Souls? The time where you were such a goddamn scrub, but you won't tell anyone? EXCEPT US.

I have a below-average reaction time, so I STILL haven't beaten Gwyn. I feel horrid, but I spent at least three hours trying to defeat him, but cannot get parrying down. Am I... a... a scrub?

I lower my equip burden to <25%, equip the wood grain ring, and run past a lot of difficult sections :-/

Especially, I'll suicide run if I just want a certain item and don't feel like it

Guevara

Nito is actually weak to fire damage, as for the skeletons when they start to become an actual issue on later NG cycles you probably have something that outclasses Astora's straight sword.

But, with a holy weapon the skeletons you kill stay dead. Kill all the small skellies and it becomes a one-on-one fight, because the larger skellies won't aggro (too far away).

Ruuppa

I once made an SL1 twink with the sole purpose of stonewalling people in the Burg. Havel, Ring of Steel Protection and Wolf Ring. I just.. Stood in doorways, blocking and parrying them, doing nothing else.
But, with a holy weapon the skeletons you kill stay dead. Kill all the small skellies and it becomes a one-on-one fight, because the larger skellies won't aggro (too far away).

I never found that to be an issue. Nito usually kills his minions often enough so you won't have a problem with them. As long as you don't instantly aggro the big ones, of course.

v1perz53

If you don't move from where you start, you can fight Nito without aggroing a single respawning skeleton, even the smaller ones. Very specific positioning though.

gaming_noob

Can a divine magic weapon kill the skeletons and remain dead without killing the necromancer?

Guevara

If you don't move from where you start, you can fight Nito without aggroing a single respawning skeleton, even the smaller ones. Very specific positioning though.
Interesting, did not know this
I never found that to be an issue. Nito usually kills his minions often enough so you won't have a problem with them. As long as you don't instantly aggro the big ones, of course.
It's not a very difficult fight, I just like not being harassed by annoying mobs. In general I take my boss fights slow and methodical.

NeoGiff

Havel's set is sooo ugly. Glad that Armor is not that important in Souls games (still way more important in DaS than DeS because of upgrades). Most of the time i wear just good looking sets and only change for problems with bosses.

It's horrible. What I normally run with is the Silver Knight set, and the Mask of the Child because it looks cool.

v1perz53

Running a STR/FAI Cleric build, any suggestions for weapons?

Few weapons fit the bill better than the Grant dropped by Paladin Leroy. B scaling with str, A with faith, hits like a truck. Can't get it until after placing the lordvessel though, and it requires 50 str 30 faith, so optimally you would want to be comfortable using it 2H to get around the str req.

As for early, I love Astora's Straight Sword. You can get twinkling titanite early by going to darkroot garden and getting one of each moss (purple, blooming purple and red) and trading to Snuggly for twinkling and you can get this weapon to +3 very early on, making it quite powerful at the start for a str/faith build.

No good ideas for midgame though if you don't want to stick with Astora's. Divine Claymore/Zwei is always a good bet.

Donos

Cutting the tail of Seath is probably going to put me off the Platinum trophy. The way is rather long and then it's not so easy to get it cut off (NG+). Killing him is easy.
Going to put that game on halt for some time now.

Cutting the tail of Seath is probably going to put me off the Platinum trophy. The way is rather long and then it's not so easy to get it cut off (NG+). Killing him is easy.
Going to put that game on halt for some time now.

Try summoning someone. That way it will be a lot easier.

What i did was, I just tried to dodge all his attacks and only attacked his tail when i got chance. It will be time taking and depends on some luck, but it isnt that hard.

Donos

Try summoning someone. That way it will be a lot easier.

What i did was, I just tried to dodge all his attacks and only attacked his tail when i got chance. It will be time taking and depends on some luck, but it isnt that hard.

Well i'm SL115. Chances are that the summoned player is going to trash Seath pretty fast while i hunt the tail.

If you get Seath to destroy the crystal it stuns him and that gives you enough time to run around and cut off his tail (weapon dependent I guess).

When doing Catacombs at low-level I either use poison arrows on the Necromancers or run past everything (the shortcut drop down to the bottoms means you don't have to engage a single enemy unless you want to).

Also lots of kicking skeletons off ledges, but remembering if you don't kill the Necromancers they will survive the fall and you will face them all again as they make their way back up. I love the Catacombs for this reason, it's a really fun area to do very early.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In case you're unaware, pyromancies work to cut off the tail. I spent a lot of time on my character, a mage, trying to cut the tail of the Sanctuary Guardian the first time I played the DLC, with a pitiful magic scythe +5, and was really struggling. Then I tried to cast Great Combustion on it for far more damage and it went off in two casts, lol. I had been under the impression that I needed a melee weapon, but nope.

v1perz53

Main issue with Seath is that only the very tip of his stupid tail counts for tail cut hits. Hitting anywhere from the middle of the tail to his body doesn't count. So you spend more time chasing him around as he spins like a top than you do actually trying to attack the tail. Also, I tried the "have him kill the crystal and get stunned" method, but it never seemed to work well for me. The stun barely lasted long enough for me to get one hit, and even with my best weapon it always took way more than 1 hit to get his tail off.

I can do greatshields in Dark Souls 2 because parrying isn't that useful, but I cannot give up parrying in Dark Souls 1. There are so many things that are susceptible to it including bosses, and the iFrames you get during a riposte are so useful for group encounters. Plus I just feel like a badass swatting an enemies weapon away as I plunge my sword into their chest. Greatshield's higher stability never really seemed that useful to me compared to parrying.

I haven't tested it, but it feels like you get knocked back less with greatshields. Makes blocking instead of rolling actually viable against some bosses.

v1perz53

I haven't tested it, but it feels like you get knocked back less with greatshields. Makes blocking instead of rolling actually viable against some bosses.

I've meant to give a greatshield run a go for a while now, just to see how it is. Though I would definitely only use it for bosses, parrying is just too useful against almost every random enemy in the game on the way to bosses. No roll block only for bosses does sound interesting though, ill give it a shot.

Guevara

Just beat Manus (first try!). Game is really clicking with me again. I was actually just going to relearn his moves and I expected to die.

Level 88, 40 STR and 40 END, Black Knight Halberd

Booshka

Just beat Manus (first try!). Game is really clicking with me again. I was actually just going to learn his moves and I expected to die.

Level 88, 40 STR and 40 END, Black Knight Halberd

Leave those two stats there, 40 is the hard cap for both of them. Start leveling Vitality toward 50 and you'll be very formidable.

Guevara

Leave those two stats there, 40 is the hard cap for both of them. Start leveling Vitality toward 50 and you'll be very formidable.

Yeah my plan was to bring those up quickly and ignore everything else: I only have about 20 in VIT right now, so I'm the melee equivalent of a glass canon.

v1perz53

Jeez, I struggled far more with the two Armored Tusks on the way into The Duke's Archives than I did with Nito.

One trick you can use on the second one is if you run past it and into the right corner through two close together columns, the boar wont be able to fully reach you, so you can safely kill it. I always do this now since fighting those damn boars in small hallways is a pain in the ass.

In case you're unaware, pyromancies work to cut off the tail. I spent a lot of time on my character, a mage, trying to cut the tail of the Sanctuary Guardian the first time I played the DLC, with a pitiful magic scythe +5, and was really struggling. Then I tried to cast Great Combustion on it for far more damage and it went off in two casts, lol. I had been under the impression that I needed a melee weapon, but nope.
Magic works too of course, a couple of crystal soul spears with all the equipment stacked should do it. I use great combustion too, good advice.

Donos

Was entering the Royal Wood in NG+ yesterday to get the Blue Titanite Slab for upgrade trophy and the area is normally already packed with enemies but now this gravelord stuff added around 4 Black Phantom Giants and some of these tree enemies as BP too. And these Giants normally already pack the one of the hardest punch of non boss enemies in the game.

Was running for my life.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Was entering the Royal Wood in NG+ yesterday to get the Blue Titanite Slab for upgrade trophy and the area is normally already packed with enemies but now this gravelord stuff added around 4 Black Phantom Giants and some of these tree enemies as BP too. And these Giants normally already pack the one of the hardest punch of non boss enemies in the game.

Was running for my life.
Hahaha ouch. Did you find the Gravelord sign to kill whoever was infecting your world?

Was running for my life.

It happens for me in anor London haha.. Gravelord covenant system was really fun, they screwed it up in DaS2

Sulik2

So I left trying Manus and did some leveling. Killed the last three great souls and went back to Manus. (Gravelord was surprisingly easy just throwing on Havel's and tanking him) Took me another four tries but I got Manus. Man that is an incredible boss fight. Having 40 End 40 Vitality really helped when I came back to him.

Was on a boss high so went and killed Gwyndoline and took down Dark Sun. That was a surprisingly easy boss fight. I think all I have left is Gwynn now. What an incredible game.

v1perz53

So I left trying Manus and did some leveling. Killed the last three great souls and went back to Manus. (Gravelord was surprisingly easy just throwing on Havel's and tanking him) Took me another four tries but I got Manus. Man that is an incredible boss fight. Having 40 End 40 Vitality really helped when I came back to him.

Was on a boss high so went and killed Gwyndoline and took down Dark Sun. That was a surprisingly easy boss fight. I think all I have left is Gwynn now. What an incredible game.

I don't think I have ever fought Gwyndolin legitimately in my 10+ characters I have finished the game with. Not because I think it is hard, but because almost every time I get to him it is after a long play session and I can't be bothered, so I just cheese him with poison arrows (with the hawk ring you can just poison him to death and he will never move or attack). I really should fight him for reals one day.

Levyne

Banned
I don't think I have ever fought Gwyndolin legitimately in my 10+ characters I have finished the game with. Not because I think it is hard, but because almost every time I get to him it is after a long play session and I can't be bothered, so I just cheese him with poison arrows (with the hawk ring you can just poison him to death and he will never move or attack). I really should fight him for reals one day.

Gwendolin is one of the simpler boss fights. All thee of his moves have a pretty specific and simply way to avoid them.

Now as for Manus...I cheesed the one time I fought him, lol.

Top Bottom