• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Donos

Or the Halbers! you can smash everyone with the gargoyles halbers or the black night halbert with style without mention the great axes

Don't like that most halberds make you stumble a bit you when you don't hit anything *gitgud* which drove me away from the Scythe and the Black Knight halberd. I like playing reaper with the Scythe but that little stumble already cost me my life a few times.

Also fuck that room full of hollows in the Undead Parish before you go up to the roof and the first bell.
Every! time! i underestimate the damn hollows there.

Now only Ornsteins soul left for the platinum...

Ruuppa

Conversely, when you do hit something with a halberd -class weapon, your recovery time is next to zero. I love them for that. Too bad the poisedamage is so low.

That room is an early-game trap: "Oh, just Hollows? What's that blue glow on them? Well whatever, they're just OH MY GOD THEY'RE CUTTING MY ARMS OFF!"

Conversely, when you do hit something with a halberd -class weapon, your recovery time is next to zero. I love them for that. Too bad the poisedamage is so low.

But halberds are so easy to dodge. Scyths have wider hitboxes and faster swings so I prefer them over halberds for long range melee weapons.

Ruuppa

But halberds are so easy to dodge. Scyths have wider hitboxes and faster swings so I prefer them over halberds for long range melee weapons.

Well, yes. I meant the halberd -class weapons, not just Halberd (god I really should get better at saying stuff). Scythes are halberd -class weapons, and benefit from the hit-recovery as well as the miss-stumble like the traditional Halberds.

I'm sure it's said a million times, but as someone who never had access to Demons Souls, I think Dark Souls is going to end up tying Fallout New Vegas/Alpha Protocol for the best of the generation for me.

Been a long time since I felt the need to get a guide book and pour over hidden secrets, but this damn game is dense in the best and most classical way. Fucking super rewarding figuring things out, despite how much I die. And die. And die. And then die. And die. And die.

gaming_noob

Am I able to upgrade Pyromancer flame to +10 with eingyi without having to up my Intelligence to 11? The Pyromancer guy at Firelink went hallow...

I'm stuck and I could use some advice here:

So I found out the Firelink Shrine bonfire is out. I got the item for finding the murderer but I don't know where to look.

I also died too many times trying to go through The Londo Ruins and have no way to combat those ghosts, so right now I'm SOL.

Where should my sights be pointed now? Towards the castle that opened near the blacksmith? Towards the catacombs? Into those ruins?

When he is charging, make sure you 2 hand your weapon and go to town with some R1's until he gets staggered out, then back off and let him come after you.

So don't let him charge up. He'll always roll backwards twice before charging up, but you probably can't catch him in Havel's armor. Try throwing knives maybe.
Thanks guys, knocking him out of the charge up made all the difference. I beat him on my second try after using that strategy. Then I went on to beat Kalameet and Manus on my first try. Now it's back to the main game to finish collecting lord souls.

So I found out the Firelink Shrine bonfire is out. I got the item for finding the murderer but I don't know where to look.

I also died too many times trying to go through The Londo Ruins and have no way to combat those ghosts, so right now I'm SOL.

Where should my sights be pointed now? Towards the castle that opened near the blacksmith? Towards the catacombs? Into those ruins?
Just reached this point not too long ago- for once you'll be given very explicit instructions. At the Firelink Shrine there is now a new gigantic NPC occupying the temple where the big black bird sits. Talk to this... thing and it will tell you where to go. You've already guessed it really.

I'm not positive this is correct though, I completed events way out of order I believe.

Ruuppa

Your
first guess
would be correct. The other areas won't offer the full course in progress until later.

vehn

My PS3 just got a Red light of death. Still haven't beaten the DLC :( Anything I can do to remedy this? (edit: meant to post this in DS2 thread but same thing)

Caoz

My PS3 just got a Red light of death. Still haven't beaten the DLC :( Anything I can do to remedy this? (edit: meant to post this in DS2 thread but same thing)

Swap the hard drive when you get a new ps3? I guess get a similar one.

If you dont have ps+ and the cloud save feature I guess that would be the only choice.

Donos

Was ready to make a platinum dance after i forged the last two rare weapons and grabed the sunlight spear only to see that one damn miracle is missing. Now i have to farm those crows in the painting for souveniers of reprisal -_- (need Darkmoon Blade).

Also got invaded again and to my suprise i had the best online fight yet because the invader had sword/shield combo and was looking for a nice proper duel. Was a nice back and forth and it was pretty close. I lost but it was still awesome.

All the other invaders i met so far went for the biggest/most dmg weapons and only for the 1hit kill backstab or tried to magic me down from the other side of the town.

I recently just got the pc version working and so far I have been invaded by three hackers before ringing both bells. Is it better for me just to play in hollowed mode?

First time I was vsing a morbidly obese character covered in armor with an infinite amount of poison daggers.

Second was someone with an infinite amount of stamina and an amount of health that must be impossible to reach. Backstabs did 100+ dmg, but their health never went down beyond a slither.

Third was someone with an infinite amount of spells. 10 mins of me just dodging homing soul vessels and that one area effect spell (They stand like an anime character for a second? Can't remember.).

Mistel

Banned
I recently just got the pc version working and so far I have been invaded by three hackers before ringing both bells. Is it better for me just to play in hollowed mode?

First time I was vsing a morbidly obese character covered in armor with an infinite amount of poison daggers.

Second was someone with an infinite amount of stamina and an amount of health that must be impossible to reach. Backstabs did 100+ dmg, but their health never went down beyond a slither.

Third was someone with an infinite amount of spells. 10 mins of me just dodging homing soul vessels and that one area effect spell (They stand like an anime character for a second? Can't remember.).
First was probably a person who had set out to low level invade with heavy armor and poison throwing knives. Second two probably were cheating. You can play hollow but you cannot summon others depending how you play that's either a possible penalty or no issue at all.

Caoz

First was probably a person who had set out to low level invade with heavy armor and poison throwing knives. Second two probably were cheating. You can play hollow but you cannot summon others depending how you play that's either a possible penalty or no issue at all.

I just run close to the bonfire and let them kill me, no figth. I will not give them the pleasure to say they beat me in combat. Are not there pvp areas where they can fight other pvp equipped characters? People invading someone who just wants to finish the story is lame.

Made it past the DLC without problems after you guys helped with Artorias. Blew past Seath, and now I'm on the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and it's kind of miserable. Not a fan of these areas. Is there anything worth picking up there, or can I just use the shortcut to bypass a bunch of it?

Made it past the DLC without problems after you guys helped with Artorias. Blew past Seath, and now I'm on the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and it's kind of miserable. Not a fan of these areas. Is there anything worth picking up there, or can I just use the shortcut to bypass a bunch of it?

You can get an ember on the run to the Asylum Demonv3. The closes bombfire has one near it if you take a left at the Tourus Demon at the end of the stairs, before the fog gate.

You can get an ember on the run to the Asylum Demonv3. The closes bombfire has one near it if you take a left at the Tourus Demon at the end of the stairs, before the fog gate.
Got that one, it wasn't so bad other than my weapon broke from those worm guys. How about in Lost Izalith? I really don't want to go down in the lava with those giant dinosaurs...

Mistel

Banned
I just run close to the bonfire and let them kill me, no figth. I will not give them the pleasure to say they beat me in combat. Are not there pvp areas where they can fight other pvp equipped characters? People invading someone who just wants to finish the story is lame.
There's but they're not as fun as invasions are. If you don't want to be invaded don't be human you are safe at the cost of summoning others.

Was ready to make a platinum dance after i forged the last two rare weapons and grabed the sunlight spear only to see that one damn miracle is missing. Now i have to farm those crows in the painting for souveniers of reprisal -_- (need Darkmoon Blade).
Nothing against you personally, but I don't understand why people put themselves through this. I actually do buy into the concept of trophies and like to go for them, but not when it's lame collect-athon garbage like DS's trophies. There are lots of more interesting, challenging, and rewarding things you can be doing in this game than farming....

I'm hoping, probably in vain, that they actually put some thought into the Bloodborne trophies.

Donos

Nothing against you personally, but I don't understand why people put themselves through this. I actually do buy into the concept of trophies and like to go for them, but not when it's lame collect-athon garbage like DS's trophies. There are lots of more interesting, challenging, and rewarding things you can be doing in this game than farming....

I'm hoping, probably in vain, that they actually put some thought into the Bloodborne trophies.

Haha, i normally don't give a shit about trophies. It's just these damn souls games. I want these platinums just for me to honor these two games (demon's souls and dark souls). The only one i have is DeS and after DaS platinum i won't go for another. Playing these games is just fun but having a goal while running around is better than just running around for me. "Farming" in these game is not chore (except Pure Bladestone) like other games.

Haha, i normally don't give a shit about trophies. It's just these damn souls games. I want these platinums just for me to honor these two games (demon's souls and dark souls). The only one i have is DeS and after DaS platinum i won't go for another. Playing these games is just fun but having a goal while running around is better than just running around for me. "Farming" in these game is not chore (except Pure Bladestone) like other games.
Fair enough. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to go for the platinum. :) Just feels wrong to love the game so much and not have anywhere near all the trophies. But man, there's so much potential for a great trophy list and instead they came up with pretty much the laziest possible one.

Booshka

The achievements are pretty much all covenant stuff, and since the game alternates between "dead" and "not working" on PC, screw that.

You can farm out pretty much every achievement in Dark Souls, so long as you have enough faith.

It's not too fun or rewarding, but it can be done with little to no online interaction.

Ruuppa

The achievements are pretty much all covenant stuff, and since the game alternates between "dead" and "not working" on PC, screw that.

I still get quite a few invasions/co-op sessions going on PC, and I have a horrid internet connection. The two best spots to grab those needed co-ops for Sunbros are the Gargoyles and Fats & Slim, at their appropriate NG SLs.

TnK

What is the best build to have in NG+? I am currently an STR build maxed out at the soft cap and a fully upgraded black knight greataxe. The current armor I am using is Ornstein's, but I think that it cannot be upgraded, no?

Also, I beat gaping dragon, so I am in that location now. Where do I level up now?

Ruuppa

What is the best build to have in NG+? I am currently an STR build maxed out at the soft cap and a fully upgraded black knight greataxe. The current armor I am using is Ornstein's, but I think that it cannot be upgraded, no?

Also, I beat gaping dragon, so I am in that location now. Where do I level up now?

Whatever you like using? Quality builds are the most versatile you can have in the game, and get really good weapons with the stats to utilize them properly. Either 40/40 Str/Dex with Pyromancies as your spells, or a bit lower on either/both and 25 Int for Crystal Magic Weapon.

Mistel

Banned

If you're going for more damage crystal demon greataxe will up it with their S STR scaling and you can buy demon greataxes too.

Collete

I posted this in the Speedrunning OT thread but I thought maybe this thread can also help?...:

Edit: never mind I figured out the problem; sorry if anyone was going to help <_<

Fraktruck

Neo Member
beat the final boss just now, feelin pretty great.

Didn't realize I would get dropped into NG+ immediately so I have some work to do before I can get to the DLC content...

If I have the pendant can I just go to darkroot basin at the start of the game and access it?

Aurongel

beat the final boss just now, feelin pretty great.

Didn't realize I would get dropped into NG+ immediately so I have some work to do before I can get to the DLC content...

If I have the pendant can I just go to darkroot basin at the start of the game and access it?

This was the same mistake I made my first playthrough, I hope you're ready for every boss in the DLC to absolutely mop the floor with you in NG+.

Donos

Yeah you have to reach Dukes archives again to get pendant. Same with things like peculiar doll (Painting). Thought they would stay in NG+.
Also thought that the master key, which i bought at the end of my NG, would open more doors in NG+. DLC area has no own exit so you need the lordvessel to leave.

Shortest way to DLC for you is now clearing Undead Burg/Parish (1st bell) > Depths > Blighttown (2nd bell) > Sen's Fortress > Anor Londo > Dukes Archives > Darkroot Basin (Hydra) > Olacile

Have the platinum now but can't stop playing. Playthrough goes really fast when you don't need to collect anything.
Huge lol at Solaire. Summoned him the first time at O+S to see him fight and he spanked Ornstein alone almost faster than i got Smough down with Power Within. Read from some people that he is useless but the O+S fight is super easy with him (although he died pretty quickly from SSJ Ornstein).

Tarkus

God damn the Great Scythe is hard to get at the beginning of the game. 40+ tries.

Edit: And I got it...
Edit 2: The low level PVP is hilarious. Once they figure out that they can't beat you, they start spamming pyromancy and spells nonstop. Give me your yummy tears of desperation.

JerkShep

Any suggestions for SL1 Manus? Only him, Kalameet and Gwyn left for my SL1 run. Kalameet is strong but I tried a couple of times and except for one attack I manage to dodge consistently, it's going to take a while but I think I can do it. Manus on the other hand is fucking hard. I can't seem to learn his moveset, he's so unpredictable and has so many different attacks that one-shot my character.

Any suggestions for SL1 Manus? Only him, Kalameet and Gwyn left for my SL1 run. Kalameet is strong but I tried a couple of times and except for one attack I manage to dodge consistently, it's going to take a while but I think I can do it. Manus on the other hand is fucking hard. I can't seem to learn his moveset, he's so unpredictable and has so many different attacks that one-shot my character.
Go two-handed with quick-roll and make sure you have the silver pendant. Most of his physical attacks can be dodged to the side, and several of them leave plenty of time for a jumping attack after you dodge. It may take several hours to get the timing on them down but it's doable (and it'll feel amazing to master him). A specific tip: When he does that high jumping attack, the lock-on goes berserk, so you should quickly lock-off when you see it coming, then roll. Also if you're not wearing the ring of favor and protection, I'd recommend it because you can withstand many of his attacks that way if you've got decently upgraded light armor. (I assume they'd all be OHKO without it if you're fast-rolling.)

JerkShep

Go two-handed with quick-roll and make sure you have the silver pendant. Most of his physical attacks can be dodged to the side, and several of them leave plenty of time for a jumping attack after you dodge. It may take several hours to get the timing on them down but it's doable (and it'll feel amazing to master him). A specific tip: When he does that high jumping attack, the lock-on goes berserk, so you should quickly lock-off when you see it coming, then roll. Also if you're not wearing the ring of favor and protection, I'd recommend it because you can withstand many of his attacks that way if you've got decently upgraded light armor. (I assume they'd all be OHKO without it if you're fast-rolling.)

Thanks for the tips. Yep I'm already wearing the ring of favor and protection, I'm using a Fire Reinforced Club +10 but I'm pondering about creating a + 4 Lighting version too (I'm out of Titanite Slab since I failed Siegmeyer's quest) since apparently he's weak to lightning, don't know if the difference would be substantial though. I have a Lighting Hand Axe + 5 but damage seems not so great and the R2 of the Reinforced Club helps a lot in covering distances.

What would be a good light armor to upgrade for the fight? I may be wrong but it seems to OHKO me with most of his attacks even with heavy armor fully upgraded, so I'm not sure if upgrading a light one would make a ton of difference. Also, do you think Dark Wood Grain Ring could be a good idea for the second ring slot? I thought of using the Red Tearstone Ring too since the damage is so high but I'm not sure I can manage a perfect run.

I have to say that the vanilla game is challenging with a SL1 character but not much more difficult than a normal run since I've already complete the game a couple of times before. I had a couple more runs than usual with O&S and the Four Kings required a better knowledge of their moveset and adapting my equipment...nothing mind wrecking though. The DLC is another world entirely....especially Manus and Kalameet. The Guardian is unpredictable but has low health all things considered. Artorias is lethal if he manages to buff himself, but most of his attacks are easy to dodge after a bit of practice. Manus though....I don't even have the time to study his movest that he kills me. Definitely the hardest boss of all the SL1 runs I did so far in the series (DeS and DaS2 without DLCs)....eh the DLC bosses in DaS2 might be comparable, I've yet to try them and they might be tricky....but since defence values seem to be almost irrelevant in DaS2 maybe they are not so different than a normal fight.

Thanks for the tips. Yep I'm already wearing the ring of favor and protection, I'm using a Fire Reinforced Club +10 but I'm pondering about creating a + 4 Lighting version too (I'm out of Titanite Slab since I failed Siegmeyer's quest) since apparently he's weak to lightning, don't know if the difference would be substantial though. I have a Lighting Hand Axe + 5 but damage seems not so great and the R2 of the Reinforced Club helps a lot in covering distances.
I used Lightning Hand Axe +5 because that was my main weapon through the whole game. You can do the same jumping attack with it but it's up + R2 and if you're like me you'll probably do a regular R2 sometimes by accident and miss. Also, yeah, its damage isn't great. Fight was a marathon for me. How much are you doing with your current club's R2?

What would be a good light armor to upgrade for the fight? I may be wrong but it seems to OHKO me with most of his attacks even with heavy armor fully upgraded, so I'm not sure if upgrading a light one would make a ton of difference. Also, do you think Dark Wood Grain Ring could be a good idea for the second ring slot? I thought of using the Red Tearstone Ring too since the damage is so high but I'm not sure I can manage a perfect run.
That's strange if he's OHKOing you with heavy armor. Is your stuff upgraded? I went with ring of favor and protection and Havel's ring to get the best armor I could while still fast-rolling. If I remember correctly, I wore the following equipment fully or near-fully upgraded:
  • Chain Armor
  • Catarina Leggings
  • Gargoyle Helm
  • Tattered cloth manchette
Now that I write it out, I guess that's more medium armor than light. I was fast-rolling so it was light for me. :) The uppercut combo was a OHK and the magic too I think, but most attacks left me with a sliver of health.

Manus though....I don't even have the time to study his movest that he kills me. Definitely the hardest boss of all the SL1 runs I did so far in the series (DeS and DaS2 without DLCs)....eh the DLC bosses in DaS2 might be comparable, I've yet to try them and they might be tricky....but since defence values seem to be almost irrelevant in DaS2 maybe they are not so different than a normal fight.
Yeah, Manus took me several hours, but I enjoyed all of it, slowly learning his moves, and finally sussing him out completely. By the time I beat him I really felt like I had his number, which is a feeling you don't really get in a normal run because you can brute force bosses. I think you'll make more progress and have a lot more fun if you can get your gear in order to withstand one hit, so you have some time to learn. Once you figure him out you could switch out Havel's for red tearstone and make the fight go quicker but it seems like an exercise in frustration to try to suss him out when he kills you immediately every try.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I used:
- RoFaP
- Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, or maybe Cloranthy Ring (IIRC)
- Maxed out crimson robes, Crown of Dusk
- Light Crossbow +15 and Heavy Bolts
- Lightning Reinforced Club+5
- Heater Shield+14 for emergency blocking (Grass Crest Shield might be good too)
- Maxed out pyro glove with Great Fireball and Great Combustion
- Silver pendant
- Eat a green blossom
- Make sure you're at <=25% equip burden for fast roll

When I run out of pyros, I'd usually kite him with the Light Crossbow, because getting too close put me at risk of his annoying grab combo attack (which is almost always OHKO even with the armour and RoFaP unless you dodge the first part of the combo) and the club is a bit slow to my liking, though it can serve for close-range hits.

I think Stormtrooper beat him using only the crossbow. I'm sure I saw a twitch video of that some time. I thought it was weird at first (like deliberately gimping yourself) but it's actually fairly useful. Do not underestimate crossbows!

Took me forever though. Hardest DkS boss by far. The dark magic killed me so blood often. Kalameet was almost a cinch in comparison. Good luck!

JustinBB7

Manus is easy though once you learn his moveset. Every time I replay the game I'm looking forward to fighting him, because it's a fun fight, but I always beat him in 1 try and I'm sad.

Just roll roll roll really.

JerkShep

I used:
- RoFaP
- Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, or maybe Cloranthy Ring (IIRC)
- Maxed out crimson robes, Crown of Dusk
- Light Crossbow +15 and Heavy Bolts
- Lightning Reinforced Club+5
- Heater Shield+14 for emergency blocking (Grass Crest Shield might be good too)
- Maxed out pyro glove with Great Fireball and Great Combustion
- Silver pendant
- Eat a green blossom
- Make sure you're at <=25% equip burden for fast roll

When I run out of pyros, I'd usually kite him with the Light Crossbow, because getting too close put me at risk of his annoying grab combo attack (which is almost always OHKO even with the armour and RoFaP unless you dodge the first part of the combo) and the club is a bit slow to my liking, though it can serve for close-range hits.

I think Stormtrooper beat him using only the crossbow. I'm sure I saw a twitch video of that some time. I thought it was weird at first (like deliberately gimping yourself) but it's actually fairly useful. Do not underestimate crossbows!

Took me forever though. Hardest DkS boss by far. The dark magic killed me so blood often. Kalameet was almost a cinch in comparison. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll report back. No progress yet on the Manus front but Kalameet is down. That's something at least. See you in 40+ tries

EDIT: managed to take him down to 50%ish of his lifebar, yay? I'm really starting to get the hang of it. So, about that dark magic...roll (with DWG Ring) or pendant? I died because he surprised me with his frontal dark attack, the other ones are easy to avoid with the pendant but the frontal one seems pretty fast.

My current setup, heavily inspired by your suggestions

Lighting Reinforced Club +4 (no slabs left)
Ascended Piromancy Flame with Great Fireball and Fire Orb (still deciding if changing it with Black Flame or Great Combustion but I like the range of the orb a lot...)

Crown of Dusk
Xanthous Set+5 (magic defense is very high but I manage to mantain <25% weight)
Ring of Favor and Protection
Darkwood Grain Ring

I unload all the piromancy spells as soon as I can and remove the Crown of Dusk, then it's all R2 with 2H Reinforced Club. And praying.

I so wish there were a summon sign beside the Sheath fight, the bastards bugging me even with 15+ Estus.

Le sigh. Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith were breezes compared to this.

Arjen

Just started another character and loooooooord it plays so much better than 2. Fast rolling and normal I frames from the start, so nice.. Good to know it wasn't just in my head how much more I preferred 1

Top Bottom