• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
LOL after platinuming Demon's souls yesterday i went straight to Dark souls, my last full playthrough was on the 360 now i am on the PS3. This game is much better than Demon's souls, the gameplay improvements made a huge leap at least for me. Anyway after starting both a male and female character i noticed the female model walks weird compared to the male model, it bugged me so i gave up on making a female character, i even made some videos and there's a difference..

I had no idea the sunlight maggots dropped red titanite chunks as well as Sunlight Medals.

First time I've seen it ever, this changes everyth.... well not much really since the droprate on them has always been sucky, but still red chunks are surely the most time-consuming non-slab drop to farm? So it's another way to get them I didn't know about.

Donos

I had no idea the sunlight maggots dropped red titanite chunks as well as Sunlight Medals.

First time I've seen it ever, this changes everyth.... well not much really since the droprate on them has always been sucky, but still red chunks are surely the most time-consuming non-slab drop to farm? So it's another way to get them I didn't know about.

Sunlight Medal droprate was pretty good for me with 10 humanity and serpent ring. Needed 4 and only made 4 runs.

Has there been any word on date for the GFWL migration yet (besides 'sometime in November')? I've been wanting to do another DS1 runthrough, but want to wait until I don't have to deal with GFWL to do it.

Can someone help me identify this armour set? I want to say it's just regular Black Leather but it looks different. Like the look of it.

(not my picture)

lFhVJ.jpg

Tarkus

**Do not read new people**
So Seathe
fucked the real Gwynevere
and she had
Priscilla
as a result. Then Havel
scaled Seathe because he hated magic, and he was a knight of Gwyn???
Havel was
then locked into the tower at Undead Berg?
Am I inferring this correctly Dark Souls Veterans?

So Seathe
and she had
Priscilla
as a result. Then Havel
Havel was

Some people think that Priscilla is the daughter of Seath and Gwynevere, but there's no concrete evidence of that, besides her being half dragon half giant.

Seath was always scaleless. It's likely why he betrayed the ancient dragons. It's also why he wasn't immortal like the others, and why he was obsessed with magic and research (and the purpose of his immortality crystal).

Havel was a pal of Gwyn at one point, who locked him up in the Undead Burg tower for some reason. We don't know why, but ENB theorizes that Havel was a rebel, and secretly plotting against the gods of Anor Londo. (Evidenced by the fact that you find an Occult Club right by his armor. Occult weapons were made to fight the gods .)

So Seathe
and she had
Priscilla
as a result. Then Havel
Havel was

Lets do this

About fluffly lady.
There is an interesting "sidequest" some could overlooked and its involves Velka, the goddess of sin one of the deidities of anor londo, she was the most feared god because she had the ability of life hunt, the ability of killing a god.

Why did I tell you this? because she was the one who takes you to anor londo in a form of a giant crow, some people speculate the crow itself is Velka aiding you but why is she aiding the undead to reach anor londo? some said is because the gods (gwyn) had commited the sin of using the humans and avoid the era of dark so she silently send undeads, the strong ones to kill him or kill the remaining gods but her natures remains silent and she kept sending undead to the firelink shrine.

The nod here is priscilla as a crossbred of a dragon of course but if you enter the painting world and go see the Phalanx you can see the statue of a mother holding a baby, theories said it could be Velka holding Priscilla also you can see crow people there, defending the dark ember and a specialized miracle.

Her exile have more meaning that the eye can see, she was considered an abomination not only for her crossbreed but for her ability, the life hunt, the ability to kill a god.

There is no real indication of who are their parents just some nods to Velka influence all over the game aiding you to reach the fire and end gwyns influence.

About Havels (running out of coffee)
Havel, like any of the clerics there was really adamant about Seath presence after the events of the original flame, he personally hated magic in all its forms so he naturally was hostile about Seath being a Duke and have aid from Gwyn about researching without any limitation. So he built the Havel armor, an armor made of rock and his weapon taken from a dragon's tooth.

The curious thing here he built his armor obviously to fight and kill Seath but you can fight some curios clues about being imprisioned in anor londo and somehow he managed to escape and run away to sen fortress and made it to the tower before he got cornered by seath creations before turning hollow(hydra boss?).

It has happened.

LqKpdco.png

A time well spend I dare to say.

It has happened.

LqKpdco.png

VERY GOOD

Out of curiosity, what did you spend the majority of that time doing? A lot of PVP and co-op, replaying with lots of different builds, challenge runs?

I've got about 400 hours, and feel almost done with DS1. Although I'm sure I will come back and replay it from time to time. And I'll also come back to get all the achievements on Steam once GFWL is pulled out.

Havel

VERY GOOD

Out of curiosity, what did you spend the majority of that time doing? A lot of PVP and co-op, replaying with lots of different builds, challenge runs?

I've got about 400 hours, and feel almost done with DS1. Although I'm sure I will come back and replay it from time to time. And I'll also come back to get all the achievements on Steam once GFWL is pulled out.

Different builds, challenge runs and co-op.

Every time I take a break from Souls, the world of DS1 keeps drawing me back in.

Booshka

I have like 4000 hours across three different platforms and about 50 characters. I've platinumed/1000 the game 5 times.

I still play it here and there.

Hypron

Different builds, challenge runs and co-op.

Every time I take a break from Souls, the world of DS1 keeps drawing me back in.

gbyITd5mRcWoAWN9FPwm_H876sNK.gif

On another note, I'm quite excited to go back to the game after the next patch comes out. I haven't played the game since DS2 came out so it's been a while.

Could Solaire be Gwyn's son or just a follower, since Gwyn is the god of sunlight?
For me he is just a follower, stange follower of the sun.
There are some clues that indicates he is pretty strong and skilled human besides wearing a poor gear but still he is pretty naive in his search to claim a light of his own and it looks like he never went hollow in his different outcomes in the game compared to the other NPCs.

Hi guys I am getting tired of farming souvernirs of reprisal in the painted world of Ariamis,please can someone give me ten so that I can get the last miracle that I miss?

I am SL 78 PS3 Europe

Booshka

Hi guys I am getting tired of farming souvernirs of reprisal in the painted world of Ariamis,please can someone give me ten so that I can get the last miracle that I miss?

I am SL 78 PS3 Europe

I'd help but I loaned my PS3 to a friend. Hopefully the thread can help. Another thing to try is to go into Dark Souls Twitch streams and ask in there. Or any of the Wiki chats that are still active.

Booshka

thanks for the help

Also, for farming runs in the Painted World for Reprisals, just run straight to where the Vow of Silence miracle is and kill the 4 Harpies that land there. Homeward bone and repeat, that is the fastest farming route I found. Got my 10 in about an hour of farming, throw on some music or a podcast and grind it out.

MG310

Yeah, that's what I did, easy enough without Homeward Bones too. I kill the 4 by the miracle and then run up the spiral staircase and kill a few more, drop off the bottom of the staircase and run back to the bonfire.

Only took me about 20 tries w/ 10 or so Humanity/Gold Serpent ring.

With the crows I kill the two that fly over to the tower closest to the bonfire, above the dried finger. Then arrow the two minding their own business across where vow of silence is, they come to you (how nice of them!) and then jump down and hit the bonfire. I guess it's only 4 crows per run, but it's really close to the bonfire.

About 3/4 through NG+ after having taken a six-month hiatus. Feels good to jump back in. Slowly crafting the boss' weapons (but discovering that most of them aren't that great).

Very few of them are any good, and require very specific builds/ resources to be good. More of just having them because you can, and using them because the game is beatable with any weapon if you really want to play that way.

Tarkus

I'm having a lot of fun with a DEX build capped at SL 35. It keeps you on your toes because of not being able to take too many hits. I've got to complete some of the covenants and spend more time in areas I neglected like Painted World. Teasing out the lore has been quite interesting. Thanks to those that helped.

Hmmm. So November finally is here, so I decided to open Dark Souls again to see if my saves were there, I get this error message "Loading of specified dinput wrapper failed with error 998: Invalid access to memory location"

I tried going through Steam apps finding the application and running it as System Administrator, no luck. Same with uninstalling and reinstalling. Help.jpg 400 hours can't be lost ;_;.

Sickbean

Just re-installed this after moving to Windows 8.1, and now it either a) Crashes on launch (especially in combination with dsfix), or b) refuses to go online and I can't save at all.

Anyone got any ideas???

This might be known, but it's new to me: I was dicking around in the forest and I boned out of the Sif fight. The broken wall where you can jump and see inside the boss area - If you've triggered Sif's appearance (and left the fight or died) you can see him from this vantage point and hit him with arrows much like you can kill Manus from outside the boss room.

I poisoned him but quit out since I wasn't ready to kill Sif yet, just thought it was cool to still discover these things this late in the game :)

I wonder how many SL 1 builds have used this strategy.
Haha, I bet a good few!

I'm in NG++ at relatively low SL (58) and killed Manus that way in the last cycle NG+, only after killing him I dropped down to the boss room thinking the fall might kill me without the cutscene - it didn't and his healthbar appeared but with zero HP and stayed there for the whole time I was in the room. Also I killed Dusk (evil I know!) and when I returned to the Sanctuary bonfire, Elizabeth was dead/missing and her drop of 3 mushrooms was where she usually stands. It's these little things that keep me coming back to Souls games, I just love finding these neat little tricks!

Also, I did go back and kill Sif from outside. I wonder if any other bosses can be killed from outside the boss room? I know Manus and Capra, and I've killed O&S from the balcony on a megamule character because of being able to warp right from the start. Can't think of any others. Maybe the Moonlight Butterfly with hawk ring and feather arrows? XD

This might be known, but it's new to me: I was dicking around in the forest and I boned out of the Sif fight. The broken wall where you can jump and see inside the boss area - If you've triggered Sif's appearance (and left the fight or died) you can see him from this vantage point and hit him with arrows much like you can kill Manus from outside the boss room.

I poisoned him but quit out since I wasn't ready to kill Sif yet, just thought it was cool to still discover these things this late in the game :)

Didnt know about that, loving how you can find more ways to deal with the bosses so far.

Another useless/fun tidbit - You can see (and hit with arrows) the giant above the front door in Sen's fortress from the end of the walkway that leads to the cage lifts (guarded by the lone Balder Knight). I guess you can also see him from the boss room too which is just above said walkway.

Uses? Well you could hit or poison the giant to fool an invader that you're on the roof where the giant is. That's all I have!

Top Bottom